PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Johnson?

fikster
12-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Did anyone else catch the Fox pregame show this morning and the rapid fire segment on the Texans? Howie Long said there were a few coaches interested in the Texans job and looked dead at Jimmy Johnson and stared him down about it. Like it was inside knowledge but is Jimmy thinking about making a return to Texas football? Would you want him? I know I would.

stingray
12-26-2010, 09:51 PM
Hell yeah!!!

disaacks3
12-26-2010, 09:56 PM
Especially seeing as Dave Wannestadt (sp?) is looking for work.

Brisco_County
12-26-2010, 09:58 PM
I think it was just a funny idea to float at the time, but I don't think it's a serious indication of anything.

Hookem Horns
12-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Yeah I picked up on that too. I was looking around for Cowher and realized that JJ was the only coach in the studio.

Texecutioner
12-26-2010, 10:17 PM
No, I would not want Jimmy Johnson. The man hasn't coached in how long now? He hasn't been around the current NFL, and he's an all time great HC, but that would be a bad idea right now and coaching is the last thing that guy wants to do. He loves his life already, and he has said multiple times that coaching is the last thing he wants in his life.

Kimmy
12-26-2010, 10:20 PM
No, I would not want Jimmy Johnson. The man hasn't coached in how long now? He hasn't been around the current NFL, and he's an all time great HC, but that would be a bad idea right now and coaching is the last thing that guy wants to do. He loves his life already, and he has said multiple times that coaching is the last thing he wants in his life.

And he got voted out pretty quickly on Survivor :whip:

DX-TEX
12-26-2010, 10:25 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/video?vid=f56263bd-82f3-4bc8-9ba3-db3d7411b306&from=foxsports_en-us_videocentral

He never looks at Johnson. They ALL just say "HHMMMMMM" after Long says some coaches want that job & lots of talent there.

Wolf
12-26-2010, 10:31 PM
I was looking at Jimmy's face and there was no expression

MEGA SWATT
12-26-2010, 10:54 PM
JJ would be nice. Cowher too!

Thorn
12-26-2010, 11:00 PM
He'd have to take time off from that stupid Survivor show.

houstonspartan
12-26-2010, 11:01 PM
Look, guys, the Texans head coaching job is a premium position. What Howie Long said isn't all that shocking. We can get any coach we wanted.

As for Jimmy Johnson, I think the man is a football genius, but, I never got the sense he wanted to return to coaching.

DX-TEX
12-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Look, guys, the Texans head coaching job is a premium position. What Howie Long said isn't all that shocking. We can get any coach we wanted.

As for Jimmy Johnson, I think the man is a football genius, but, I never got the sense he wanted to return to coaching.

The bolded part is a strength and a curse at the same time. Coaches LOVE owners like McNair who have deep pockets, let the educated people make the team decisions and stay loyal to their coaches.

It is a curse because we have seen what loyalty with a HC can do.

Mr. White
12-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Don't know where to find it now, but I remember reading after the 2005 season that Bob McNair offered the HC job to Jimmy Johnson and he turned it down. Then he went and hired Dan Reeves after that.

I remember reading it in a John McClain article. Back then, he had better sources than he does now in the organization.

Mr. White
12-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Jimmy's from Port Arthur, BTW.

texansdrummer
12-26-2010, 11:18 PM
I'd be 100% down with JJ.....having said that, I hope that everyone realizes that there has never been a coach that won a super bowl with two teams.

Not saying it couldn't happen.....but the odds are the odds, and they don't exactly seem to ever play in our favor.

Mr. White
12-26-2010, 11:22 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/video?vid=f56263bd-82f3-4bc8-9ba3-db3d7411b306&from=foxsports_en-us_videocentral

He never looks at Johnson. They ALL just say "HHMMMMMM" after Long says some coaches want that job & lots of talent there.

That's what I saw. Howie just said "there's a couple of guys that want that job." Nobody looked Jimmy's way.

They all just acted like they were puzzled by Bob McNair's attachment to Kubiak.

Mike Kerns
12-27-2010, 03:03 AM
Personally, I think they were silently addressing the Cowher rumors.

ZachLV27
12-27-2010, 06:58 AM

Extended breaks from coaching can work out quite well with the right coach. Just look at Dick Vermeil. He was an established coach who just got burnt out and he ended up staying away from 15 years. When returning most of the talking heads wondered if he had the drive or the ability to connect to todays players. We all know how that turned out.

Now I have no clue if Jimmy Johnson actually wants to get back into coaching but if he did it would seem like a good time for him to do so. He could bring back a really good staff that he knows first hand.

Both Dave Wannstedt and Norv Turner should be available. They'd both just need to take the hit to their ego. Dave Shula isn't really doing anything in the game and could just as easily be brought in as a positions coach. If Wannstedt isn't interested then Butch Davis might want to get out of North Carolina.

I see him sitting in his cushy tv job until the day he decides he just wants to go live in a log cabin on a lake so he can wake up and go fishing every day for the rest of his life.

Trail.Blazr
12-27-2010, 08:08 AM
He'd have to take time off from that stupid Survivor show.

Yep... just schedule in a survivor season during the combine and draft area.. Who needs the combine as a coach anyway?

Trail.Blazr
12-27-2010, 08:13 AM
Extended breaks from coaching can work out quite well with the right coach. Just look at Dick Vermeil. He was an established coach who just got burnt out and he ended up staying away from 15 years. When returning most of the talking heads wondered if he had the drive or the ability to connect to todays players. We all know how that turned out.

Now I have no clue if Jimmy Johnson actually wants to get back into coaching but if he did it would seem like a good time for him to do so. He could bring back a really good staff that he knows first hand.

Both Dave Wannstedt and Norv Turner should be available. They'd both just need to take the hit to their ego. Dave Shula isn't really doing anything in the game and could just as easily be brought in as a positions coach. If Wannstedt isn't interested then Butch Davis might want to get out of North Carolina.

I see him sitting in his cushy tv job until the day he decides he just wants to go live in a log cabin on a lake so he can wake up and go fishing every day for the rest of his life.

Both Bums.... Hell, DW, just got run out of Pitt. Both he and Norv have done little but ride the wave of success created by Jimmy. I would cringe to see either here as a HC.

bigbrewster2000
12-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Both Bums.... Hell, DW, just got run out of Pitt. Both he and Norv have done little but ride the wave of success created by Jimmy. I would cringe to see either here as a HC.

I am pretty sure he was saying to bring them in as coordinators under Jimmy just like they were when they were with the Cowboys.

Trail.Blazr
12-27-2010, 08:53 AM
I am pretty sure he was saying to bring them in as coordinators under Jimmy just like they were when they were with the Cowboys.

Upon second read, you are absolutely right...

Still... Bums. May as well hire me!

OzzO
12-27-2010, 10:46 AM
I'd be 100% down with JJ.....having said that, I hope that everyone realizes that there has never been a coach that won a super bowl with two teams.....

Meh, that's alright - this team has never won (much less been to) a superbowl with 2 coaches.... not to even mention attend playoffs.

PHAROAH
12-27-2010, 12:19 PM
I would love to have Jimmy come in and maybe Tony Dungy should be considered as well.

TheCD
12-27-2010, 12:30 PM
If I remember correctly, Jimmy had a real hard time managing a team under the salary cap (Miami) and never really did anything without reaping the benefits of the Walker trade and having the ability to re-sign every quality player on the team.

I wouldn't be opposed to him if that isn't the case, however.