PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Vikings postponed because of . . . snow???

Marcus
12-26-2010, 08:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5956740

CANDYASSES!!!!!

Signed,

Vince Lombardi

gary
12-26-2010, 08:45 PM
It was a move ment for everyone i.e. the fans. Good move.

SheTexan
12-26-2010, 09:25 PM
It was a move ment for everyone i.e. the fans. Good move.

Sorry to disagree Gary!! Residents of Philly know how to deal with the snow. Just like our fellow Eagle fan on this board mentioned to me, "we have to go to work in this stuff, why can't they play football." I agree with him.

IMHO the NFL wants another Michael Vick show, and they will get a better one if he's not in a whiteout!! :)

gary
12-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Sorry to disagree Gary!! Residents of Philly know how to deal with the snow. Just like our fellow Eagle fan on this board mentioned to me, "we have to go to work in this stuff, why can't they play football." I agree with him.

IMHO the NFL wants another Michael Vick show, and they will get a better one if he's not in a whiteout!! :)
They are telling people to stay inside and have completely shutdown J.F.K. in NYC. Airports are currently packed due to cacelled flights. I don't think so.

SheTexan
12-26-2010, 09:43 PM
They are telling people to stay inside and have completely shutdown J.F.K. in NYC. Airports are currently packed due to cacelled flights. I don't think so.

Then why didn't they cancel the Pats/Bears game? They need to make up their minds.

My comment came from a fan that lives in Philly. I think they know more than I do about weather conditions. Regardless, it's a done deal and I'll have to wait until TUESDAY to know the fate of my FF team!:)

gary
12-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Then why didn't they cancel the Pats/Bears game? They need to make up their minds.

My comment came from a fan that lives in Philly. I think they know more than I do about weather conditions. Regardless, it's a done deal and I'll have to wait until TUESDAY to know the fate of my FF team!:)I don't really know you might be right. Maybe I just want to believe this is legit by the NFL and they don't just care about Vick only but at the end of the day we don't know the truth.:)

Hookem Horns
12-26-2010, 11:46 PM
I used to live about 20 minutes from that stadium. Eagles fans mainly drive in from 3 states PA, DE, and NJ. I know Delaware and South Jersey wasn't real fast with snow removal. They are nothing like NY and the New England states. You also have the problem with roads icing up and compacted snow.

I also lived in eastern upstate NY not far from the MA border I can tell you guys that the Philly area just doesn't handle the snow like they do up there.

When I lived in Delaware I remember days when you just couldn't drive at all. It must be that bad right now for them to postpone the game. I can tell you guys that it was the right call. I know the way I used to drive there would be real dangerous right now, I-95 north.

Also you have the issue of the stadium itself. I remember going to the infamous "Snow Ball Game" when Jimmy Johnson was getting nailed by snowballs. When we got to the Vet we literally had to shovel snow out of our seats and that was from a snow storm 2 days prior. Of course a lot of the fans are drunk and you saw what they did with that snow.

jgl35
12-27-2010, 08:22 AM
At first I hissed about not playing this game, but now I have to say they made a great call.
Around 11PM late night, this storm really got going. This would be around the time the game would be ending. Heavy snow, high winds, make it very hard to see while walking, much less trying to drive.
Roads like I 95 would be worked on, but once you got off of it, the two lane roads would be a mess.

This snow was drifting, meaning even if the road was plowed, snow was blown back on parts of it. Hit a deep enough drift and you get stuck or wreck.

Could they have played last night, sure. Could people, including the players, got home safely after the game, who know?

Scooter
12-27-2010, 08:47 AM
i'm with jgl35, good call by the NFL. they werent concerned about the game, had it been teams only they would've gone ahead and played in the mess. the NFL was more worried about the fans not only arriving and attending the game, but leaving when the nasty stuff was predicted to hit. a football game just isnt worth the risk it puts to that many, especially when it can simply be postponed to two days later.

IDEXAN
12-27-2010, 10:01 AM
This was probably a commercial decision primarily - nothing but reruns between Christmas and New Years weekends so NBC took advantage of the weather to plug in a money-maker on their Teuesday evening prime time slots.

Hookem Horns
12-27-2010, 10:20 AM
At first I hissed about not playing this game, but now I have to say they made a great call.
Around 11PM late night, this storm really got going. This would be around the time the game would be ending. Heavy snow, high winds, make it very hard to see while walking, much less trying to drive.
Roads like I 95 would be worked on, but once you got off of it, the two lane roads would be a mess.

This snow was drifting, meaning even if the road was plowed, snow was blown back on parts of it. Hit a deep enough drift and you get stuck or wreck.

Could they have played last night, sure. Could people, including the players, got home safely after the game, who know?

Yeah, that would have been a real mess. Imagine all those fans trying to leave that stadium in that especially with many leaving impaired.

So jgl, how many inches did you guys get in West Chester? I used to live down the road from you in north Wilmington right off Naamans Rd and 202 near Chadds Ford.

Mr. White
12-27-2010, 10:28 AM
When the following happens

a. the words "state of emergency" come out of the Mayor's mouth
b. he tells everyone not to leave the house, and
c. he shuts down roads and bridges,

it's probably not a good idea to assemble 70,000 people anywhere, much less an outdoor football game.

Kaiser Toro
12-27-2010, 10:39 AM
When the following happens

a. the words "state of emergency" come out of the Mayor's mouth
b. he tells everyone not to leave the house, and
c. he shuts down roads and bridges,

it's probably not a good idea to assemble 70,000 people anywhere, much less an outdoor football game.

Yep, common sense stuff.

hot pickle
12-27-2010, 11:42 AM
pusssiesssss

signed all canadians! lol

gary
12-27-2010, 11:46 AM
I don't think the Pats vs Bears game was as bad as the storm is right now. And it had been a day rather than a night game. Driving a night while it is snowing must be very ugly. I still think this was a solid move. As far as the game tomorrow night goes I already had watched two or three games on Sunday so I don't mind having an extra game to watch this week.

SheTexan
12-27-2010, 12:06 PM
I still think the NFL needs to make up their minds! If they cancel one because of snow they need to cancel them all. Remember the infamous Pat/Raider playoff game a few years back? It was hard to tell one player from another.

Guess I really need to keep my keyboard shut since I've NEVER been to a game with snow. Fan and player safety should be a priority, but, I wouldn't put it past the NFL to make THEMSELVES the priority!! Lots of missed revenue if fans stay home.

jgl35
12-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Yeah, that would have been a real mess. Imagine all those fans trying to leave that stadium in that especially with many leaving impaired.

So jgl, how many inches did you guys get in West Chester? I used to live down the road from you in north Wilmington right off Naamans Rd and 202 near Chadds Ford.

This was a different type storm, Hookem. It had bands of snow that would go over the same spot over and over. One of these went right over the city at around 11 last night. Just whan the game would have ended if played.

I got 5 ins here in West Chester, where as in the city of Philadelphia 12.5. South Jersey 18ins., the coast of Jersey over 2 feet. Delaware the same as me except for below Dover which got a foot or so.

What is bad is the wind. Still blowing around 30MPH now with a chill factor of 7 in Philly. For those who may not know what a chill factor is, it is how it feels on skin, not what the air temp may be.
This is warmer than is was last night during the storm. Was around zero then.

Now do you believe this? Forcast for next Sunday is temps in the 50's and rain for the Dallas game, which they just pushed back to 4 for some reason.

Wolf
12-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Pennsylvania governor slams NFL for postponing Eagles game

Some Philadelphia Eagles fans, including the most important one in the state of Pennsylvania, are incensed that the team's game against the Minnesota Vikings was postponed for a blizzard that didn't pack as much of a wallop as expected on Sunday night.

Governor Ed Rendell joined countless fans upset about the game's move to Tuesday when he told FOX News:

"It's an absolute joke. I was looking forward to this. It would have been a real experience. This is what football is all about. We're becoming a nation of wussies."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Pennsylvania-governor-slams-NFL-for-canceling-Ea?urn=nfl-300773

False Start
12-27-2010, 05:11 PM
We're becoming a nation of wussies."

:heh: :cool:

jgl35
12-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Pennsylvania governor slams NFL for postponing Eagles game

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Pennsylvania-governor-slams-NFL-for-canceling-Ea?urn=nfl-300773

This is the same governor that had people stranded for three days on a snow packed I 81 a year or two ago. Never closed the road, people got on and had no place to go as big rigs up ahead could not get up hills and jackknifed.

Pollardized
12-27-2010, 07:58 PM
This is the same governor that had people stranded for three days on a snow packed I 81 a year or two ago. Never closed the road, people got on and had no place to go as big rigs up ahead could not get up hills and jackknifed.

That's what ya'll get for electing a democrat!!!!!!

Kaiser Toro
12-27-2010, 08:22 PM
That's what ya'll get for electing a democrat!!!!!!

You should read what Rendell said.

Pollardized
12-27-2010, 08:33 PM
You should read what Rendell said.

Nah I'm too lazy :nolisten:

SheTexan
12-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Welll, he's right about one thing! "We're becoming a nation of wussies!" Couldn't agree more! DAMN, did I just agree with a Democrat?! :)

Kaiser Toro
12-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Nah I'm too lazy :nolisten:

Typical of the polarization in our country. Just see a D or R and make an assumption.

Double Barrel
12-28-2010, 02:25 PM
It's just a football game, and certainly nothing worthy enough to risk your life to attend. JMO.

As far as a "nation of wussies", that's just sad hyperbole. It's easy to call someone else out when you don't have to deal with it.

Should we have a football game during hurricanes? What a bunch of pansy asses to postpone a game because of some rain and wind. yeaaaah. :rolleyes:

Dutchrudder
12-28-2010, 04:27 PM
Personally, if I were the Mayor of Philly, I would much rather be taking flack for being too cautious than answering questions on Monday about X dead people in serious auto accidents. People's safety is not worth risking over a football game.

disaacks3
12-28-2010, 05:15 PM
It's just a football game, and certainly nothing worthy enough to risk your life to attend. JMO.

As far as a "nation of wussies", that's just sad hyperbole. It's easy to call someone else out when you don't have to deal with it.

Should we have a football game during hurricanes? What a bunch of pansy asses to postpone a game because of some rain and wind. yeaaaah. :rolleyes: I actually DID play a game (at Tully)during a tropical storm years ago....slip-sliding-away.

It was like a greased pig contest, I lost count of the fumbles (both sides) at 9.

TheMatrix31
12-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Welll, he's right about one thing! "We're becoming a nation of wussies!" Couldn't agree more! DAMN, did I just agree with a Democrat?! :)

Hahaha....exactly MY thoughts. I had to do a double take when I saw that Ed freakin' Rendell of all people said that.

As for the game, I don't care either way....just kinda weird, considering there have been ridiculous snow games in the past. Surely this wasn't "worse" than those instances.

Double Barrel
12-28-2010, 06:34 PM
I actually DID play a game (at Tully)during a tropical storm years ago....slip-sliding-away.

It was like a greased pig contest, I lost count of the fumbles (both sides) at 9.

Must have been back in the day when men were men, and tropical storms were...well, tropical storms. ;)

Hahaha....exactly MY thoughts. I had to do a double take when I saw that Ed freakin' Rendell of all people said that.

As for the game, I don't care either way....just kinda weird, considering there have been ridiculous snow games in the past. Surely this wasn't "worse" than those instances.

It's 'only' the sixth biggest snowstorm on record.

JB
12-28-2010, 06:47 PM
I actually DID play a game (at Tully)during a tropical storm years ago....slip-sliding-away.

Damn! Talk about a blast from the past! I lived across the street and went to many games at Tully when it was first built... http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx307/TexanJB/smileys/old_man_SMILEY.gif

TheMatrix31
12-28-2010, 07:01 PM
It's 'only' the sixth biggest snowstorm on record.

Yeah I know....but just judging from footage of the stadium, it didn't look any worse than the Pats/Raiders, Pats/Titans, Bills/Browns, and Pats/Arizona (just a couple of the crazy storm games off the top of my head)

I figure it was travel and logistics being the bigger issue than the game, anyway.

JB
12-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Yeah I know....but just judging from footage of the stadium, it didn't look any worse than the Pats/Raiders, Pats/Titans, Bills/Browns, and Pats/Arizona (just a couple of the crazy storm games off the top of my head)

I figure it was travel and logistics being the bigger issue than the game, anyway.

The storm was not as bad as predicted.

Wolf
12-28-2010, 07:21 PM
there is NO Way in hell the Eagles lose this game
Vikes won the toss and elected to kick
0-0 after exchange of possessions

drs23
12-28-2010, 07:22 PM

Yeah, ya just can't believe the weather liars. I wish I had a job where I could be right or wrong, no biggie, just collect your 6 figs and be here tomorrow. Where do ya sign up?!

JB
12-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Yeah, ya just can't believe the weather liars. I wish I had a job where I could be right or wrong, no biggie, just collect your 6 figs and be here tomorrow. Where do ya sign up?!

Ya got to go to school to learn how to guess-i-mate in the proper form...

drs23
12-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Ya got to go to school to learn how to guess-i-mate in the proper form...

Damn, maybe should have gradgiated then. :)

Double Barrel
12-29-2010, 11:05 AM

Yeah, the "nation of wussies" tag is absurd considering that the NFL has been playing games in extreme weather this season.

Travel and logistics were primary concerns form all the reports that I've been reading about it.

Not as bad, but still extremely dangerous when two feet of snow fall within a 16 hour period, plus hurricane force winds in many areas. Emergency services were non-existent in many places, and with 70,000+ fans leaving a stadium, many inebriated, it's a potential recipe for disaster.

Games have been postponed for a variety of reasons over the years. Respect after 09/11, stadium damage due to severe weather, and even life-threatening violent storms. I don't think it's wussy to be prudent.

gary
12-29-2010, 02:59 PM
If it was not even as bad as predicted to be and yet still the sixth worst snow storm on record. Probably merit to cancel because you just never know when/if the storm would have been. Wow.