PDA

View Full Version : Open Letter to the Texans Defense.

Dread-Head
12-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Dear Texans Defense:
Before you dismiss this letter as the ramblings of a Monday Morning armchair quarterback let me go on record in saying you're right. I'm a 41 year old with bad knees whose dreams NEVER included playing in the National Football league as I knew that while I loved the game of football I was a DECENT player at best. Each man on your defensive unit was a star in college and achieved God like status in High School.

Does getting paid to play a game you supposedly love (over the table as we know some college athletes get perks in the forms of SUVs and stacks of cash and jobs for which they never have to actually do) make a man become complacent? Doesn't it bother you to be on the 32nd ranked (out of 32) defense in pro football? Doesn't it bring you some stinging amount of humiliation to know that your current roster has allowed more yards and points scored than ANY defense in the HISTORY of the NFL?

Are you un-bothered that a ROOKIE quarterback in his second game ran at you with impunity and without the slightest hint of fear to lead his team back from a 17 point deficit to defeat you? Does it cause you ANY distress that André Johnson, Matt Schaub and Arian Foster are having Pro-Bowl seasons but will be WATCHING the playoffs on television because of you pathetic play? How does it feel to be the VICTIM week after week in ESPN highlight reels against whom mediocre receivers make otherwise "unbelievable" catches? How does it feel knowing that your team would be in contention for post season play were it not for your lack of passion, aggression and just plain talent on the field week after week?

Before you dismiss this letter with a series of expletives. Let me say I COULDN'T do any better. If my friends and I replaced your defensive unit we would also be the 32 ranked Defense in the NFL. We would probably allow as many if not MORE yards than you do, but the difference would be debatable. That should not be the case. There are members of your unit who have incredible athletic ability but don't seem to care rather or not you win football games. Gentlemen NFL careers are very short. Your job as a defense is to cause physical and psychological pain to members of the leagues offenses. Quarterbacks and receivers should see "Houston Texans" on their schedules and thing "Oh god not those guys" and not "Oh this one's in the bag." Gentlemen I have been a Texan fan since day one and shall remain one. As a fan all I ask is that you play with some pride. Be the defensive unit we all know you can be.

Respectfully,
Jesse "Dread-Head" Handy (an excruciatingly disappointed fan)

P.S. Please kill Frank Bush. If he's still alive he'll still be your co-ordinator next year and this organization doesn't need that.

Dishman
12-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Maybe, but ONCE AGAIN the offense looked underwhelming against a pahetic Broncos team.

Dread-Head
12-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Maybe, but ONCE AGAIN the offense looked underwhelming against a pahetic Broncos team.

They still scored 23 points.

WolverineFan
12-26-2010, 07:33 PM
The Texans had the #31 defense going into this game...you know who had the #32? The Broncos.

Our "awesome" offense could only muster 23 pts against that defense while our defense actually played well (by their standards) and held only their 4th opponent under 27 pts this season.

Going into this game, if you said our defense holds them to 24 pts and we unleash our offense on the #32 ranked defense would we win? I'm sure the answer would have been yes.

Dishman
12-26-2010, 07:34 PM

Against a defense they should have hung 30 on. The whole team has regressed and is full of fail. No one side should be celebrated. This team has done ZERO as a whole.

Maybe that's harsh. They've done 5-10 as a whole. Let's find a silver-lining in losing to a crap team we should have offensively dominated.

thunderkyss
12-26-2010, 07:50 PM

I agree. The offense has it's share in this as well, but I like the idea of keeping this about the defense.

WTF happened in the second half, that we did not get a single stop in the second half.

Dishman
12-26-2010, 07:54 PM
I agree. The offense has it's share in this as well, but I like the idea of keeping this about the defense.

WTF happened in the second half, that we did not get a single stop in the second half.

Just be honest with yourself. This defEnse cannot be counted on.

ArlingtonTexan
12-26-2010, 07:57 PM
These open letters have worked so well in the past....but continue on.

Wolf
12-26-2010, 07:59 PM
discussing who is to blame between the offense and defense is like trying to discuss whether or not the white speck on chicken shit is still chicken shit.

well it is all still chickenshit

PapaL
12-26-2010, 08:00 PM

This TEAM can not be counted on. It's always The offense or defense not showing up; special teams has YET to show up.

The offense puts up points. The defense gives up more points. They're both at fault.

Dishman
12-26-2010, 08:03 PM

And lost to the Broncos by a point. I thought this was a highly potent offense that was capable of scoring at will (in the 2nd half).

Let's gets real. This team is fail in all phases.

Dishman
12-26-2010, 08:06 PM
This TEAM can not be counted on. It's always The offense or defense not showing up; special teams has YET to show up.

The offense puts up points. The defense gives up more points. They're both at fault.

I totally agree. So why lay blame on the defense? They are a known commodity. They are going to suck. It's a cherry on top when the offense fails, as well. Yes, they put up 24 points. Our defense gives up more on average, so if the offense isn't clicking and succeeding then they are failing.

Mr. Texan
12-26-2010, 08:07 PM
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t230/vhogan83/FrankBushDefense.gif

thunderkyss
12-26-2010, 08:16 PM

I'd like to find out what happened. They played well enough to stop Denver on 5 out of 5 possessions in the first half.

They did not get one stop in the second half. They allowed 4 scores on 4 possessions, 3 were touchdowns.

They didn't have to be great in the second half. Forcing 2 field goals would have been good enough.

Dishman
12-26-2010, 08:19 PM
I'd like to find out what happened. They played well enough to stop Denver on 5 out of 5 possessions in the first half.

They did not get one stop in the second half. They allowed 4 scores on 4 possessions, 3 were touchdowns.

They didn't have to be great in the second half. Forcing 2 field goals would have been good enough.
I agree with you. I'd love to know how this fell apart.

PapaL
12-26-2010, 08:22 PM
I totally agree. So why lay blame on the defense? They are a known commodity. They are going to suck. It's a cherry on top when the offense fails, as well. Yes, they put up 24 points. Our defense gives up more on average, so if the offense isn't clicking and succeeding then they are failing.

Because even if the offense put 3,234,980 points the defense would give up 3,234,981 points. Would that be the offenses fault? A good team covers up for each other, here we've given up on the D and just blame the O for not scoring enough?

mike moffat
12-26-2010, 09:00 PM
The only time that our secondary looks good is when the opposing player drops the ball for an incompletion. They run around like a bunch of school kids playing dodge ball! If I were an offensive coordinator getting prepared to play the Texans, my game plan would be very simple.....passes of 20 yards or more on every down.

Oh, an occassional extra point and field goal thrown in. Of course, thats for special teams.

I really feel sorry for Andre, Foster, Walter and Mario. Quality players each who deserve a lot better.

I'm still a Texan fan and will always be a Texan. But I am ashamed of how we are playing. However, we've been saying that for 6 years now.

Pitiful.

wildroot
12-26-2010, 09:09 PM

Perhaps the defense is confused...could they be competing with our offense for most points? :)

Texanator
12-27-2010, 12:04 AM
The only time that our secondary looks good is when the opposing player drops the ball for an incompletion. They run around like a bunch of school kids playing dodge ball! If I were an offensive coordinator getting prepared to play the Texans, my game plan would be very simple.....passes of 20 yards or more on every down.

Not sure what games you've been watching, but most of the passes against us have been dumps and screens that turn into 20+ yard gains. Sure we give up the long ball also, but we've had our butts handed to us over and over with screens and dump passes.