PDA

View Full Version : What do we really know about Bob McNair?

Mr. White
12-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Seems like we're all working off of message board mythology right now as far as to how cheap he is, how risk-averse he is, how much he wants to win, etc.

I've seen lots of assertions made about him the past week and have made a few myself. I've also seen arguments against those assertions. What do we really know? How do we know what we know?

How did he make enough money to buy a football team? How much control does he have over football operations? How much control does he have over the entire operation? How is Cal involved? How is the organization run?

BTW, I'm not asking for opinions and I'm not looking to start a flame war....even though I'm sure this thread will devolve into that just like every other one does.

Mr teX
12-22-2010, 12:15 PM
I know wiki isn't the greatest of sources, but lets start here & then those who know more can confirm or deny what's in it. Me myself, i have a hard time believing the guy is what he's portrayed by some in here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_McNair

JB
12-22-2010, 12:26 PM
I know wiki isn't the greatest of sources, but lets start here & then those who know more can confirm or deny what's in it. Me myself, i have a hard time believing the guy is what he's portrayed by some in here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_McNair

That's taken directly from the Texans official site

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/staff/robert-c-mcnair/d951a901-85fe-4881-837e-aa00b40dd5ea

Norg
12-22-2010, 12:29 PM
http://prod.static.texans.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/Player_Cards_No_Number/McNairBob_Card_Template.jpg

MUHAHAHAHA

Mr teX
12-22-2010, 12:33 PM
That's taken directly from the Texans official site

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/staff/robert-c-mcnair/d951a901-85fe-4881-837e-aa00b40dd5ea

good, then its legit, lol

Mr. White
12-22-2010, 12:34 PM
So far, we know that he sold a company to Enron in 1999. One question down.

Double Barrel
12-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Seems like we're all working off of message board mythology right now as far as to how cheap he is, how risk-averse he is, how much he wants to win, etc.

I've seen lots of assertions made about him the past week and have made a few myself. I've also seen arguments against those assertions. What do we really know? How do we know what we know?

How did he make enough money to buy a football team? How much control does he have over football operations? How much control does he have over the entire operation? How is Cal involved? How is the organization run?

BTW, I'm not asking for opinions and I'm not looking to start a flame war....even though I'm sure this thread will devolve into that just like every other one does.

It's a good question, Mr. White, and if we're honest with ourselves, the truth is that we really don't know much about the dude.

To paraphrase Churchill, he's a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

However, we can build somewhat of an M.O. on the guy by using past decisions.

Hervoyel
12-22-2010, 12:38 PM

Well, we know that he owns the team. That alone answers the "How much control does he have over football operations?" question. Now, he might not exert said control but he "has" total control over the team. He is the owner.

From that fact we can also safely say that Cal is involved to the degree Bob wants him involved. We can also say that the organization is run the way Bob wants it run.

If either of those two statements isn't true then it's Bob who ceded that power or who allows people to stay who don't follow his direction (or who fails to provide sufficient direction).

He made his money in power generation by founding Cogen Techologies which he sold to Enron in 1999 giving him enough money to woo the NFL. He still owns power plants (all this is wikipedia fodder really, matter of public record) and today he seems to be primarily in the business of having a lot of money and investing it where he sees opportunities to make more money.

I don't really know how much of a business genius one has to be to make money in the electrical generation business. I assume one can't just be a complete dipshit to found a company that ends up being worth a billion dollars. I guess you could stumble into it somehow but more than likely you have to be at least somewhat on the ball.

What I think we have established in 9 years though is that whatever skills he may have brought from his "core business background" did not necessarily transition to his new role as an NFL owner. I think how he got the money to buy the team is kind of beside the point. He owns it and isn't in financial trouble so he'll go on owning it.

The cheap/risk-averse/wants-to-win stuff we can only speculate on.

My specualtion on those subjects is that:

1. He's not particularly cheap but the events thus far have left him looking a bit like he is.

2. He is averse to taking chances and the Texans approach to improving their team bears that out.

3. He wants to win but not enough to deviate from his basic nature which appears to be frugal and conservative with an emphasis on his organization looking good in the public eye at all times.

But you're right about those three. We don't know. We'll never know.

disaacks3
12-22-2010, 12:38 PM
My favorite quote I found during a search...referring to the Defensive performance against the Jets..

The Texans are cursed. I'm convinced that Bob McNair urinated on an Indian burial ground earlier in his life

GP
12-22-2010, 12:45 PM
1. Heavy emphasis on public image.

2. Steadfast refusal to add players of questionable character.

3. Desires to be viewed, by his peers, as a gentlemanly owner who strives to play fairly and to establish the franchise as a top destination for players.

4. Loyal to his players and coaching staff; often giving them more time than other teams would have in similar situations.

I think those four things are fairly true, but yet you see how each of those four things--when carried to an extreme--can become weaknesses instead of strengths. Maybe No. 3 on that list is exempt, though.

Our weaknesses are our strengths carried to an extreme.

Hookem Horns
12-22-2010, 12:46 PM
I am still in the camp that McNair is just a noob owner. Right now I think he is too much of a Mr Nice Guy for his own good. Not sure about the cheap thing yet.

He reminds me of my wife's former employer. They started a new company in a new field and relied on their employees to show them the ropes. For the first few years they were coming off more as friends to their employees more than bosses.

Because they were not too demanding their employees would take advantage of the situation. However once they realized their business was seriously failing they wised up and realized they could not be friends with their employees. They fired a bunch of people and started laying down the law. (for the record my wife wasn't one of those, she resigned when we started our own business).

I am hoping this same situation is going on with McNair and he soon realizes that he can't be friend with his players and personel. While his businesss may not fail in the same sense, he will keep getting embarrassed if his teams continue to fail.

Mr. White
12-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Here's another one.....

Drayton McLane has been known to make himself available to fans. He doesn't mind going around and shaking hands.

Does Bob McNair do this at all? Has anyone here met him? If so, what was your impression? Do you see him often?

The1ApplePie
12-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Not sure about Mr. McNair, but the company had to deal with the group that runs the Reliant complex and its various buildings. Total asshats that screwed us on parking at the last minute and demanded a ridiculous cut of our revenue to open their gates. I know the guys running the lot in Astroworld got the screws put to them as well.

But I work for total asshats, so I’m sure it was mutual.:)

Not sure what bearing that has on anything, but that is the only practical experience I have in a vague manner with the organization.

CloakNNNdagger
12-22-2010, 01:02 PM
For those interested, this is the most detailed account of McNair's rise and fall and rise again out of the ashes I've ever come across:

Golden achiever Billionaire NFL owner, USC grad has overcome Houston hardships CLICK LINK (http://www.welcometokiawah.com/Links%20of%20Interest/Community/Neighbors/McNair%20is%20golden%20achiever.htm)

infantrycak
12-22-2010, 01:05 PM
2. Steadfast refusal to add players of questionable character.

This is internet mythology.

Travis Johnson had discipline problems in college.
Jerome Mathis also had discipline problems in college.
Amobi Okoye admitted pot use.
Brian Cushing had rumors swirling around him of PEDs.
Cedric Benson was made an offer after multiple arrests.

kiwitexansfan
12-22-2010, 01:29 PM

How dare you cloud internet rage with facts.

Double Barrel
12-22-2010, 01:33 PM

Initially he was very sensitive to it. Barry Warner was talking about it last night that during the early stage of the franchise and the expansion draft, McNair refused to allow anyone with a checkered past to be on the list. Casserly told him point blank that there will not be enough players available using that criteria. I don't have a link to Warner's show last night, but he claims to have been there at the beginning and was close to several folks working with McNair, fwiw.

I think McNair wants to win, but he's not an owner than wants to win at all cost (not necessarily monetary when I say cost). Losing doesn't bother him as much because he appears to have a long-term vision to win within a predefined set of standards that he has established for his franchise. Obviously, those standards can deviate as circumstances allow, but it appears that losing is not the end-of-the-world to him and will not cause him to make any decisions that could be construed as "knee jerk".

eriadoc
12-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Brilliant businessmen don't typically hand over the operations of their business to a group entirely full of rookies. Just sayin'.

infantrycak
12-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Initially he was very sensitive to it.

I have no doubt he has a preference for clean players (as I would bet every owner has) but the evidence we actually know is he is able to get over it. We're talking three 1st round draft picks with red flags.

HOU-TEX
12-22-2010, 01:39 PM
He wants to win, but hasn't figured out how to go about it.

OzzO
12-22-2010, 02:17 PM
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/9692/bossmcnair.jpg

(from Rockets MB via HT.com)

RTP2110
12-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Here's the only thing I can add...

When I took a tour of Reliant, the "What to do with he Astrodome" conversation came up. One of the ideas was to make it into a hotel. The guide was telling us that it was McNair who single-handedly shot down that idea because he didn't want people parking and buying concession at the hotel instead at his place.

Seems like sound business logic, but just seems so different from the public image he portrays.

Norg
12-22-2010, 02:34 PM
the need to Destory the astrodome and plant trees in its place and in the middle of the mini forest have a shrine of the Houston Texans franchise and players from past present and future :kitten:

Yesterday
12-22-2010, 02:38 PM
I've met him briefly and am fairly good friends with people who work very closely to him. Impression I get is nice guy, but not a cutthroat winner. Don't think he's cheap, just may be too much of an optimist for his own good.

Texas T
12-22-2010, 02:56 PM

HOU-TEX-I think you've hit the nail on the head.
He is not necessarily a football guy, but he wants to be.
I don't think that he has found the right support for this want.
Once he gets the right guys in place (I don't think it's Kubs) he will go the distance.
I also don't think he's a "cheap skate", see AJ deal, but he is a businessman first so that's how he'll look at this until the aformentioned guys are in place.

Just my 2 cents-which is really only worth one...

IDEXAN
12-22-2010, 03:44 PM
I've met him briefly and am fairly good friends with people who work very closely to him. Impression I get is nice guy, but not a cutthroat winner. Don't think he's cheap, just may be too much of an optimist for his own good.
But here's what puzzles me about your description of McNair ? If this is the same guy who went mano-a-mano with that bad-azz crowd at Enron, Schilling & Lay, and came out of those negotiations not only with all of his limbs intact but a far richer man than before, to the tune of about 1 billion richer by most reports, how does this guy have a problem dealing with/controling the likes of a couple of relative lightweights like Smith & Kubiak when it comes to operating a billion dollar enterprise ?

Beer and Metal
12-22-2010, 03:52 PM
the need to Destory the astrodome and plant trees in its place and in the middle of the mini forest have a shrine of the Houston Texans franchise and players from past present and future :kitten:

That's not a bad idea. It would be a good place to put the Bum/Earl statue, exactly where the Oiler's bench use to be. There could be a meandering path throughout, with blank spots for future statues of Houston football greats.

Yesterday
12-22-2010, 04:16 PM
But here's what puzzles me about your description of McNair ? If this is the same guy who went mano-a-mano with that bad-azz crowd at Enron, Schilling & Lay, and came out of those negotiations not only with all of his limbs intact but a far richer man than before, to the tune of about 1 billion richer by most reports, how does this guy have a problem dealing with/controling the likes of a couple of relative lightweights like Smith & Kubiak when it comes to operating a billion dollar enterprise ?

For all we know Enron got a great deal and bought his company for less than it should have been sold for. Or maybe McNair sold it for more than it should have been sold for. Just b/c he sold a company doesn't mean he is a great businessman.

Double Barrel
12-22-2010, 04:19 PM
I have no doubt he has a preference for clean players (as I would bet every owner has) but the evidence we actually know is he is able to get over it. We're talking three 1st round draft picks with red flags.

I don't know about every owner, because these "troubled" players are still getting signed year after year.

Take a guy like Randy Moss. The Texans wouldn't touch in in a million years, and I'm not criticizing that fact.

A team like the Patriots not only sign him, but make him flourish. And when he opened his mouth, they ship him off and never look back.

Of coruse worlds difference between the Patriots and Texans, but obviously having a strong locker room with veteran leadership goes a long way toward absorbing these kinds of players. Perhaps that's the key to the Texans is that they have never really had that kind of locker room from what we can tell, much less a winning tradition.

I think this is really a good statement. He cannot will them to win like he willed success for his own business. Football is a different beast, and obviously there is a learning curve. We're just going to have to be patient as fans during that process.

I've never met the guy, but my own perception is in line with your post. I've always thought that he was a nice man, good person, and probably a very loyal friend. But those qualities are not necessarily transferable to a football franchise, and in reality, to swim with sharks you have to be a shark or you become chum.

I don't think the guy is cheap, either, contrary to many popular opinions.

Señor Stan
12-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Bob McNair

Is a member of the Illuminati - FACT
Owns power plants that run off of baby seal blubber - FACT
Hates Kittens - FACT
Was the puppetmaster behind the Warren Comission - FACT

I think that's about it.

IDEXAN
12-22-2010, 04:32 PM
For all we know Enron got a great deal and bought his company for less than it should have been sold for. Or maybe McNair sold it for more than it should have been sold for. Just b/c he sold a company doesn't mean he is a great businessman.

Actually I kinda follow that industry very closely and had a couple dollars invested in some Enron shares when that transaction went down (luckily for me I got out of Enron before the roof caved-in), but I can tell you that McNair, who was not just a successful entrepreneur but a successful pioneering entrepreneur in the whole field of cogeneration back in those days, was widely credited at the time with being a very astute business man in negotiating the kinda deal he got for his business with Enron. That's why I wouldn't even think McNair would even break a sweat in getting the Smith-Kubiak duo straightened out, one way or the other.

Norg
12-22-2010, 04:37 PM
That's not a bad idea. It would be a good place to put the Bum/Earl statue, exactly where the Oiler's bench use to be. There could be a meandering path throughout, with blank spots for future statues of Houston football greats.

in all srsy tho i would like something like what the Pats have a SPorts Building with SHrine rooms for the Texans Histroy PLayers/trophies and what not

along with a Big sports bar and maybe a few other things i think that would be nice

it would deff make Bob alot more money

ChampionTexan
12-22-2010, 04:42 PM

Keep in mind that around that time, Enron was more interested in doing deals than in doing good deals. The house of cards needed increased assets, and increased revenue to fuel the "growth" they were riding too absurd levels. I don't think they were nearly as interested in Mr McNairs limbs as they were the revenue stream he could sell them.

I know absolutely zero about the specifics of this deal, but if it was a bad deal on Enron's part, it wasn't the first or the last.

Double Barrel
12-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Actually I kinda follow that industry very closely and had a couple dollars invested in some Enron shares when that transaction went down (luckily for me I got out of Enron before the roof caved-in), but I can tell you that McNair, who was not just a successful entrepreneur but a successful pioneering entrepreneur in the whole field of cogeneration back in those days, was widely credited at the time with being a very astute business man in negotiating the kinda deal he got for his business with Enron. That's why I wouldn't even think McNair would even break a sweat in getting the Smith-Kubiak duo straightened out, one way or the other.

Thanks for sharing your insight. My own thoughts are that anyone that builds a company from the ground up and sells it for a billion is smart, regardless if they sold it for more/less than market value.

Let's not forget that he successfully navigated the waters of the NFL owners in bringing a team back to Houston, which was no small feat. The NFL simply did not want a team here at the time and that was well known. I remember those days well, and there were many years that we thought that might never get another team. We can take it for granted now, but McNair was The Man in getting that deal done in an atmosphere that was anything but friendly to this market.

ChampionTexan
12-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks for sharing your insight. My own thoughts are that anyone that builds a company from the ground up and sells it for a billion is smart, regardless if they sold it for more/less than market value.

Let's not forget that he successfully navigated the waters of the NFL owners in bringing a team back to Houston, which was no small feat. The NFL simply did not want a team here at the time and that was well known. I remember those days well, and there were many years that we thought that might never get another team. We can take it for granted now, but McNair was The Man in getting that deal done in an atmosphere that was anything but friendly to this market.

I agree - both items you bring up are far more impressive than the divestiture of an asset for an incredibly large sum of money.

Revolution
12-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Brilliant businessmen don't typically hand over the operations of their business to a group entirely full of rookies. Just sayin'.

He didn't do that. So what are you sayin'?

CloakNNNdagger
12-22-2010, 05:15 PM
He didn't do that. So what are you sayin'?

Then, you might enlighten us as to what previous HC experience Kubiak had and what previous GM experience Smith had.

IDEXAN
12-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Really, McNairs achievment in getting a new franchise to Houston was very impressive indeed especially when, as you point out, the league had another very specific location in mind for that franchise: LA.
I may gripe about the current HC and/or GM like a lot of others but without McNair, there's no team to gripe about. I'd rather he keep Kubiak & Smith here for 25 more years than not be given the opportunity to talk about it at all like I'm doing.

Rey
12-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Bob McNair first tried to bring Hockey to the city....

I just don't think he knows a lot about football...

It wasn't his first choice.

CloakNNNdagger
12-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Let's not forget that the people of Houston had a great deal to do with this team coming to Houston. We layed out our own chunk of change to consumate the Stadium deal..............something that the people of L.A. were not willing to do then...........and are still unwilling to do now. Had the L.A. fans opened their wallets to a stadium, the money was already there for a potential team owners' partnership (which, like McNair et al., were willing to contribute nicely towards a new stadium.....but not fully fund it without tax payer monies), and Houston would still be looking for a team to this day. In the end, the difference was WE the HOUSTON FANS.

Grams
12-22-2010, 05:46 PM
He brought footbal back to Houston.

That's the only thing I need to know about McNair.

TEXANRED
12-22-2010, 05:48 PM
I know that he has more money then me and has way better seats.

Double Barrel
12-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Let's not forget that the people of Houston had a great deal to do with this team coming to Houston. We layed out our own chunk of change to consumate the Stadium deal..............something that the people of L.A. were not willing to do then...........and are still unwilling to do now. Had the L.A. fans opened their wallets to a stadium, the money was already there for a potential team owners' partnership (which, like McNair et al., were willing to contribute nicely towards a new stadium.....but not fully fund it without tax payer monies), and Houston would still be looking for a team to this day. In the end, the difference was WE the HOUSTON FANS.

Without a doubt the fans were a big part of it. And if we're really honest, Bud Adams was an influential part of it, both for moving his team and leaving the void that we wanted filled, but also voting for Houston getting an expansion team. That said, truth be told, I'll admit this but have a hard time with any gratitude toward that jerk.

It was a symbiotic relationship between fans, the city/county, the Houston Rodeo, and of course, McNair.

disaacks3
12-22-2010, 05:51 PM
For those interested, this is the most detailed account of McNair's rise and fall and rise again out of the ashes I've ever come across:

Golden achiever Billionaire NFL owner, USC grad has overcome Houston hardships CLICK LINK (http://www.welcometokiawah.com/Links%20of%20Interest/Community/Neighbors/McNair%20is%20golden%20achiever.htm)

It's a good read (set right before the Super Bowl here). It gives you a better insight into Bob McNair the person, as opposed to Bob McNair the NFL Owner. He appears to be one of those guys who charms the socks off everyone around him and it's hard to find anyone who DISlikes the man. It also shows his deeply religious values and explains the "good guy" syndrome that many seem to detect.

I suspect he wants to "do the right thing", but has a hard time pulling the trigger on those loyal to him. While I respect that, this team is more than $$ to the fans, it's something many of us devote LOTS of time/energy to and WE would appreciate a greater emphasis on WINS.

Mr. White
12-22-2010, 06:38 PM
I suspect he wants to "do the right thing", but has a hard time pulling the trigger on those loyal to him.

This brings me to another point.

I think we were under the impression last year that Bob McNair and Gary Kubiak had a meeting every Monday after gameday. At Kubiak's press conference this week, he said he meets with Rick Smith, Bob McNair and Cal McNair every Monday.

This brings me to the assumption that Bob McNair (and Cal, for that matter) is more involved than we all thought. It seems like the common impression around here for years is that he's always been hands-off as an owner.

I saw a pretty credible theory this past week that the football operations are run in 3 branches. Coaching doesn't report to management like most other teams. Instead, coaching and management are 2 different departments that both report directly to the ownership.

If he meets at least once a week with the HC and the GM, then there's a pretty good chance that he's developed a pretty strong bond with them over the years and he buys in to the long-term plan. I'm guessing he thinks that Kubiak will turn out to be Chuck Noll or Tom Landry.

Yesterday
12-22-2010, 07:27 PM

Well, then hats off to McNair. Agree with the last sentence; has he lost his edge in his old age?

Texecutioner
12-22-2010, 08:06 PM

Well we know what we know from what we've been able to observe and see in the last nine years of this franchise being located and in effect in Houston. The outcome from the observations and the conclusions aren't that pleasant from the standpoint of a passionate fan that values winning.

Texecutioner
12-22-2010, 08:11 PM
I am still in the camp that McNair is just a noob owner. Right now I think he is too much of a Mr Nice Guy for his own good. Not sure about the cheap thing yet.

I don't really buy into the whole "well he's just a noob owner" thing. Mark Cuban was a noob owner in the NBA and took over a terrible Mavs team that had been the joke of the league for a really long time and turned it around very fast because he was aggressive in free agency and was highly committed to winning and that's the bottom line. ANd we're talking about the NBA versus the NFL which is a sport that's waaaaaayyyy harder to turn around a rock bottom team than the NFL is where you can do it in a year or two and it's quite common in this day and age. Mcnair just hasn't been an owner that lives, eats, and thrives for the thrill of winning on game day like other owners do. He hasn't shown that in these first 9 years any way. He's shown that he's more about being that guy that everyone loves and is fond of and gets a family vibe about him and his team. Winning is a secondary thing to him from what I've observed.

Pollardized
12-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Bob McNair lives in a 12,124 square foot house in River Oaks, tax appraised value is $7,671,800.00 in 2010. He definitely believes in spending money on the finer things in life.

I have worked with contractors who have done work for him at his house in Houston and his ranch outside this area, and everyone has been consistent with saying he is a nice man, easy to work with, doesn't go the cheapest route when presented options, etc.

In my line of work I deal with all sorts of people, including those with money. Most people I meet in the River Oaks and Memorial areas are extremely tight with their money. When I look a house up on HCAD and see $2.5 million I used to get excited. Then I realized that most of the people with money have money because they hold on to it and spend wisely. I am more likely to sell a $10,000 AC system to a guy in a $250,000 house than I am to a guy in a $2,000,000 home. The $2 million guy will shop every company in town to get the cheapest price, leaving the preverbial carrot dangling in hopes of getting more work from him later on.

GP
12-22-2010, 10:27 PM

I'm talking about HARDCORE issues, not "lazy attitude" (i.e. Travis Johnson) or suspected P.E.D. abuse (i.e. Brian Cushing).

I'm talking about the PacMan Jones-type of player.

And spare me the Cedric Benson example. When media asked Kubiak about Benson trying out for the Texans, Kubiak giggled and scoffed. Then, what do ya' know? We DID try him out. And gave him a weak-ass offer that the Bengals easily trumped. Yeah, we realllllly tried our best to get him. About the same "hard effort" put forth for Leigh Bodden.

Keep 'em coming, 'Cak.

I never once said what you implied (the implication that I'm saying he has to have completely clean players). Nobody is completely clean. I am talking about the guys who have arrests for major things. That, to me, is "questionable character." In addition, I am glad he stays away from the bad boys. I didn't state that, but then again I guess I have to (or you'll zing for failing to do so).

What do I have to do, write a complete novel explaining eggzactly everything? How about asking me what do I mean by "questionable character?" Or would it be easier to put me on full blast like you always do? I already know the anwer. And others do, too.

steelbtexan
12-22-2010, 10:37 PM

He turned 500 mil into1.5 bil selling his stock in Enron just before it went broke. Kinda like Lay,Skilling,Fastow etc....

Do you think it's possible he could've been friends the Enron crooks and they told him to sell his stock?

Naw Uncle BoB would never do anything like that. He's a good old boy. He's a straight up businessman this could never happen.

Meanwhile 22,000 workers lost their jobs due to the Enron fiasco. I wonder how they feel abot McNair and the Texans.

Not to mention every time a light is turned on by a Reliant customer he/she is helping subsidize McNair/Texans to the tune of 300 mil over 10 yrs. That's 30 mil a yr for those that are mathematically challenged.

Bottom line Uncle BoB got a sweetheart deal and instead of spending the $$$ he took the profits. Not that there's anything wrong with that from a business standpoint. But it's not conducive to building a winning organization.

And there's one thing that there's no denying. The Texans led by BoB McNair are a losing organization. Maybe the next regime hire will be able to overcome the limitations that McNair has placed on this organization.

Many will disagree with me and play the BoB McNair is a god card. How many yrs have Texans made the playoffs? It's on Uncle BoB to prove to the Great Fans of the HOUSTON TEXANS that he wants to win and is willing to reinvest some of the profits he made off this city through his Texans/Enron dealings.

IDEXAN
12-23-2010, 06:52 AM
He turned 500 mil into1.5 bil selling his stock in Enron just before it went broke. Kinda like Lay,Skilling,Fastow etc....

Do you think it's possible he could've been friends the Enron crooks and they told him to sell his stock?

Last time I checked Skilling & Fastow were still in the slammer and Lay was as dead as Elvis, while Bob McNair was living the good life in the best neighborhood in Houston, TX (River Oaks), so I think he was traveling in entirely different social & business circles than the Enron managerial crew.

TheMatrix31
12-23-2010, 07:23 AM
I'm talking about HARDCORE issues, not "lazy attitude" (i.e. Travis Johnson) or suspected P.E.D. abuse (i.e. Brian Cushing).

I'm talking about the PacMan Jones-type of player.

And spare me the Cedric Benson example. When media asked Kubiak about Benson trying out for the Texans, Kubiak giggled and scoffed. Then, what do ya' know? We DID try him out. And gave him a weak-ass offer that the Bengals easily trumped. Yeah, we realllllly tried our best to get him. About the same "hard effort" put forth for Leigh Bodden.

Keep 'em coming, 'Cak.

I never once said what you implied (the implication that I'm saying he has to have completely clean players). Nobody is completely clean. I am talking about the guys who have arrests for major things. That, to me, is "questionable character." In addition, I am glad he stays away from the bad boys. I didn't state that, but then again I guess I have to (or you'll zing for failing to do so).

What do I have to do, write a complete novel explaining eggzactly everything? How about asking me what do I mean by "questionable character?" Or would it be easier to put me on full blast like you always do? I already know the anwer. And others do, too.

I'm pretty sure the majority of people have the same definition of "questionable character" as he did, as opposed to the one you apparently hold. If your definition is different, then it is your job to explain what it is.

Those guys who have major arrests or legal issues, like Pac-Man aren't just guys with "questionable character" or "red flags". Those are guys who are full-blown pieces of shit. Thugs, IDIOTS. Guys who bring the team down by their presence and their distractions. You don't want those guys on the team no matter how good they may be on the field.

McNair has been more than willing to take chances on guys with "red flags", at least the normal defintion.

Señor Stan
12-23-2010, 08:14 AM

What about Victor Riley?

Is being charged with felony assault for repeatedly ramming your SUV into a vehicle that has your wife and infant daughter in it "HARDCORE" enough for you?

hradhak
12-23-2010, 08:34 AM
There's no denying that McNair's record as an owner on the football field has been awful.
Owning a team in the NFL is different than owning a business in the real world. McNair has hired people with a decent track record before they came to Houston in Casserly/Capers. It turned out to be a massive fail. He brought in Kubiak with some suggestions from people who were supposed to know what they were talking about.

In my mind the ony decisions that an NFL owner is responsible for is hiring a GM and/or coach. He then has the decision to pull the plug on that GM or coach. Everything else falls on that coach and GM performance wise.

Joe Texan
12-23-2010, 09:20 AM
Bob McNair is An Angel in Houston who has accomplished a feat that Los Angeles among other cities have failed to do. Bob brought the NFL back to Houston in a very short time and brought a Superbowl to Houston when it was thought it could never be done. You got Bozos on this messageboard that can.t pull thier head out of thier arse but can easily mount an opinion on how well they "know Bob McNair". It is truly amazing to see the colorful words used to describe him, When he has done nothing other than the complete the opposite thing that the Fat bad hair dude owner Bud the Dud Adams. He ownes a franchise that only 31 other, 30 other and one town of Green Bay, own and he has stepped into that circle and achieved the ability to demand respect from other owners. I think you can take the opinions of some on this board and turn those opinions around and it would represent exactly the personna of the one making the comments. Bob is the Owner of the Texans, I am Joe Texan, I will Respect him as long as he keeps my team in Houston Texas.

Second Honeymoon
12-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Bob McNair is An Angel in Houston who has accomplished a feat that Los Angeles among other cities have failed to do. Bob brought the NFL back to Houston in a very short time and brought a Superbowl to Houston when it was thought it could never be done. You got Bozos on this messageboard that can.t pull thier head out of thier arse but can easily mount an opinion on how well they "know Bob McNair". It is truly amazing to see the colorful words used to describe him, When he has done nothing other than the complete the opposite thing that the Fat bad hair dude owner Bud the Dud Adams. He ownes a franchise that only 31 other, 30 other and one town of Green Bay, own and he has stepped into that circle and achieved the ability to demand respect from other owners. I think you can take the opinions of some on this board and turn those opinions around and it would represent exactly the personna of the one making the comments. Bob is the Owner of the Texans, I am Joe Texan, I will Respect him as long as he keeps my team in Houston Texas.

You had me at 'Bob McNair is an angel'. You are, in my opinion, a glorified cheerleader. Shake those pom poms, JT. Bob is an angel.....do you even read the hot steaming cow manure that you write?

Bud Adams at least tried to win and got our team to playoffs. It seems McNair only cares about making money and if he wins along the way, so be it. This may be an inconvenient truth, but BUD > BOB. Bob may be a better human being but Bud is a better NFL owner and he isn't even in the top half of NFL owners...but he is surely better than Bob. what has Bob done other than bringing losing NFL football to this city? That's right. ZERO. Well he did nominate you as 'Superfan' but that is more an indictment of him than praise. Get those pom poms out and 'rah rah rah'.

And when you say he has done the exact opposite of Bud Adams, you couldn't be more correct. Bud's teams win and Bob's teams lose. It's that simple and there is no arguing that.

It looks like the Texans Re-Education Camp worked well for you, you have gone back to being a corporate stooge of the Texans. Well played, JT.

but whatever, you are 'Superfan'. How does it feel to be the 'Superfan' of a losing franchise? If it feels anything like it feels to be just a fan of the team, it must not feel very good.

Gary Kubiak Sucks
Bob McNair Sucks
Rick Smith Sucks

and here is a fact. The Texans are a losing franchise, with Capers, Kubiak, and as a whole. Try and spin that or make an excuse.

Thanks for playing, JT. Now go back to eating Ho-Ho's, swigging Dr. Pepper, and making bad football takes.

Sorry about all the coal in your stocking, JT, but I am disappointed in you. Just a few weeks ago, you seemed to have understood where the Texans were and realized that changes had to be made. It looks like that is no longer the case and you are back to being a male cheerleader of a failing and losing NFL franchise. Congrats to you and Merry Christmas to everyone.

eriadoc
12-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Does anyone else ever get the feeling that Joe Texan and Second Honeymoon are the same poster arguing the two furthest extremes of any given argument?

HOU-TEX
12-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Does anyone else ever get the feeling that Joe Texan and Second Honeymoon are the same poster arguing the two furthest extremes of any given argument?

:lol: Damn, that's be a true definition of a Split Personality Disorder

Second Honeymoon
12-23-2010, 10:54 AM

Ummmm, no. :strangle:

I have pooped out turds with more football IQ than JT. Dude might be a brain surgeon or mathematical theoritician by trade, but his football IQ has ditch digger written all over it.