PDA

View Full Version : Cushing/Smith - What happened?

silvrhand
12-19-2010, 05:43 PM
I was hanging lights after the game went 21-0, what happened with Cushing/Smith? I know there was a fight but don't know what caused it.

TheMatrix31
12-19-2010, 05:46 PM
http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2010/12/19/houston-texans-teammates-brian-cushing-and-antonio-smith-fight-on-field/

Some dirty Titan was being dirty and went low on Smith, Smith went up to fight the guy, Cushing pushed Smith away and they got into it.

BetaV1
12-19-2010, 05:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcxI6Y8EDTo

ArlingtonTexan
12-19-2010, 05:54 PM
I have seen this is real life where the "friend" trying to stop the fight gets into a fight with dude he is trying help out. I would make about nothing of it long-term.

Showtime100
12-19-2010, 05:54 PM
NFL refs are as bad as in any sport. You can't throw a flag on something unless you see it and the ref obviously didn't SEE Cushing take his helmet off.

blitz90
12-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Lame.

Kimmy
12-19-2010, 06:31 PM
It was the epitome of a team imploding on itself

Pantherstang84
12-19-2010, 06:48 PM
It was the epitome of a team imploding on itself

Yep. Just another symptom of what everyone but McNair sees.

hot pickle
12-19-2010, 06:54 PM
someone is losing the locker rooom!!!!

WAKE UP BOB!!!!!!

Mr. White
12-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Buddy Ryan and Kevin Gilbride (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPK3cDl7Ftw) can't believe it either.

gwallaia
12-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Sometimes NFL refs remind me of WWE refs, always looking the other way when the bad guys are screwing around.

Rey
12-19-2010, 07:26 PM
Texans sure doing a lot of fighting lately.

Too bad they can't actually play as well as they fight.

HJam72
12-19-2010, 07:39 PM
A. Smith can be a moron sometimes. That's all it is, except that the refs are USUALLY morons.

3rd and Inches
12-19-2010, 07:39 PM
I honestly think some of the players are as frustrated as us right now. Unfortunately, they're turning on each other and taking it out on one another.

JB
12-19-2010, 07:45 PM
I honestly think some of the players are as frustrated as us right now. Unfortunately, they're turning on each other and taking it out on one another.

I agree that the players are also frustrated. But this thing with Smith and Cushing is a non-story. Smith was incensed because of the late hit to his knees, and was willing to go through whatever was in front of him.

SouthSideTexan
12-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Dear Bob,

Looks like you guys are moving in the right direction..... Keep up the good work.

Sincerely,

31 NFL Owners :hurrah:

Marcus
12-19-2010, 08:04 PM
How can you say this incident between Smith and Cushing is evidence "that someone is losing the locker room" or "the epitome of a team imploding"?

So you're all shrinks now?

LOL.

HJam72
12-19-2010, 08:06 PM
Shrinks are weirdos.

Signed,

The Scientologists

Rey
12-19-2010, 08:34 PM
dear bob,

looks like you guys are moving in the right direction..... Keep up the good work.

Sincerely,

31 nfl owners :hurrah:

lol

Rey
12-19-2010, 08:36 PM
How can you say this incident between Smith and Cushing is evidence "that someone is losing the locker room" or "the epitome of a team imploding"?

So you're all shrinks now?

LOL.

Marcus...You don't have to be a shrink to read basic human nature...

Obviously Antonio Smith doesn't give a damn anymore. That's not real hard to see.

PHAROAH
12-19-2010, 08:40 PM
They need new direction now and hope they get bill cowher here with the quickness.

Runner
12-19-2010, 09:47 PM
This was no big deal. It's like the Seinfeld episode where George was mad because he thought the rest of the gang had ditched him at the movies. It turns out it was showing on two screens, and he was in the wrong theater! So he made a public fool out of himself by acting like a jackass in front of the screen.

Who cares? It was back to hijinks the very next week. Goofy misunderstandings are pillars of comedy.

The Texans are really funny.

NitroGSXR
12-19-2010, 09:59 PM
I agree that the players are also frustrated. But this thing with Smith and Cushing is a non-story. Smith was incensed because of the late hit to his knees, and was willing to go through whatever was in front of him.

Basic logic has no place on these boards!!!

Gonna have to rep you another time. I'm all maxxed out.

texanhead08
12-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Basic logic has no place on these boards!!!

Gonna have to rep you another time. I'm all maxxed out.

In other words this team sucks.

JB
12-19-2010, 10:14 PM
In other words this team sucks.

How did you get that from my post?

CloakNNNdagger
12-19-2010, 10:23 PM
From ESPN (pretty sad):

Cushing, Smith squared off during loss (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/19431/cushing-smith-squared-off-during-loss)
December, 19, 2010 Dec 198:19PM ET
By Paul Kuharsky

The last time Houston played Tennessee, a Texan got in a big fight with a Titan.

Round two of the AFC South season series featured another scrum, but this time it was Texan versus Texan.

NBC’s Football Night in America showed footage of Pro Bowl linebacker Brian Cushing and Antonio Smith, a team captain, going at it before halftime in a way where teammates had to separate them. Cushing ended up without his helmet, drawing an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the second-to-final play of the first half.

Such a moment between two high-priced players is symbolic of just how bad things have gotten for the Texans. Houston will post its first losing season since 2006, and even could fare worse than that year’s 6-10 record if they drop their remaining two games.

Unfortunately for Cushing and Smith, there is not an owners' meeting this week.

If there was, owner Bob McNair could hear from his peers how the scrap showed his team to be feisty and he could spin that as a great thing about the direction the team is moving, the way he put a smiley face on Monday night's overtime loss to Baltimore by emphasizing the comeback that forced the extra period.

Runner
12-19-2010, 10:28 PM
From ESPN (pretty sad):

Funny funny funny.

Pantherstang84
12-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Now the national press is even making fun of McNair. Wow.

Showtime100
12-19-2010, 10:39 PM

Go back and look at his credentials off to the right. He's a filthy Teet writer who started following them right after they left Houston.

The guy should save that kind of Bush League BS for a message board.

Pantherstang84
12-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Go back and look at his credentials off to the right. He's a filthy Teet writer who started following them right after they left Houston.

The guy should save that kind of Bush League BS for a message board.

So how do you really feel about him Showtime100?

Showtime100
12-19-2010, 10:52 PM
So how do you really feel about him Showtime100?

Lol, the thing is the guy makes a point but he's on the wrong side of the fence so I take offense. I can say that about the Texans, you can say that about the Texans, but he can't. :gun:

CloakNNNdagger
12-19-2010, 11:12 PM
He has actually written some very nice and insightfull pieces about the Texans over the past year. He's not a Texans hack.

Showtime100
12-19-2010, 11:16 PM
He has actually written some very nice and insightfull pieces about the Texans over the past year. He's not a Texans hack.

You're spoiling my good time...:foottap: :D

Seriously, I don't know this guy from Adam and believe what you say. It's just when this is all I had to go by I wasn't amused. :spin:

Yankee_In_TX
12-19-2010, 11:37 PM

On SNF they touted a story on PFT identical to this one (or maybe it is this one?).

Anywho, I'm glad - if the national media start calling McNair out - it'll be harder for him to live in his idealistic bubble.

TexanExile
12-19-2010, 11:44 PM
Anywho, I'm glad - if the national media start calling McNair out - it'll be harder for him to live in his idealistic bubble.

This.

I'm not sure what it'll take to wake the man up. Fan outrage hasn't done it, nor have 4 spectacular failures and several outright collapses this season. I care less about the incident than about the way it might just be a little constructive, but I admit that its sheer boneheadedness did remind me of the Wade Phillips Cowboys of earlier this season. Players doing dumb stuff on the field, even at the expense of penalties. Just sad to watch.

hookinreds
12-19-2010, 11:54 PM
Soooooooo that's what happened. Nobody around us knew how the hell we got a 15yd penalty when it was our guy who got his helment yanked off. Didn't know it was a little family infighting.

Lucky
12-20-2010, 12:54 AM
It's like the Seinfeld episode where George was mad because he thought the rest of the gang had ditched him at the movies. It turns out it was showing on two screens, and he was in the wrong theater!
Rochelle, Rochelle? A young girl's strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk.

Kimmy
12-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Link Here (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Video-Cushing-gets-called-for-penalty-after-fig?urn=nfl-297945)

The last time the Houston Texans and Tennessee Titans played, the biggest story of the game was the brawl between opponents Andre Johnson and Cortland Finnegan, which resulted in $25,000 fines for both. The teams met again on Sunday and once again devolved into chaos when two players got into a shoving match on the field. The only difference was: this one was a skirmish between teammates.

It started out as a routine post-play tussle between Tennessee's Leroy Harris and Houston's Antonio Smith. Smith's teammate, Brian Cushing, came running into the play to separate his teammate and, presumably, to halt any Johnson-Finnegan-esque fisticuffs that were about to ensue. Smith didn't like this and ended up shoving his own teammate

Another Texan got involved and Cushing's helmet flew off, which is an automatic 15-yard penalty. That enabled Tennessee to move closer into field goal range and take a three-touchdown lead headed into halftime.

If ever an incident could sum up a team's season, that would be it for Houston. The team, which entered 2010 with high playoff hopes, fell to 5-9 for the year.

3rd and Inches
12-20-2010, 10:29 AM
And somewhere.. off in the distance.. is our season...
http://www.gifsoup.com/view/273703/mushroom-cloud-o.gif

oh.. there it is..

gary
12-20-2010, 10:32 AM
When the players start going at with each other then it is time for things to be blown up and just start fresh.

Rey
12-20-2010, 10:35 AM
How is this not a big deal?

Antonio Smith flat out said that the players don't always have each other's backs??

LMAO....WTF????

Carr Bombed
12-20-2010, 10:37 AM
They need discipline now and hope they get bill cowher here with the quickness.

Fixed it for ya :)

HOU-TEX
12-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Marcus...You don't have to be a shrink to read basic human nature...

Obviously Antonio Smith doesn't give a damn anymore. That's not real hard to see.

IMO, that's hogwash. I think it was just the opposite. Every time I noticed Smith he was going balls out. Maybe he was pissed some of his teamates weren't?

Like JB and a few others, I didn't think it was a big deal at the time and I still feel the same way.

Carr Bombed
12-20-2010, 10:44 AM
You're spoiling my good time...:foottap: :D

Seriously, I don't know this guy from Adam and believe what you say. It's just when this is all I had to go by I wasn't amused. :spin:

Paul Kuharsky is actually one of the better writers around. Even though he originally followed the Titans, he does a great a great job of blogging about the AFC South division and reporting on the division.

Rey
12-20-2010, 11:12 AM
IMO, that's hogwash. I think it was just the opposite. Every time I noticed Smith he was going balls out. Maybe he was pissed some of his teamates weren't?

Like JB and a few others, I didn't think it was a big deal at the time and I still feel the same way.

Last night Smith said that he doesn't think that all of his teammates have each other's backs all the time...

Does that sound like a man that is still into what he is doing? He sounded defeated...

how can you go onto the field and truly give your all if you don't feel like the guys next to you and behind you are doing everything they can and will have your back no matter what?

Did you see the interview with A. Smith?

Yes it was and still is a big deal that these two went at it like that on the field.

When a team is still together, you rush to defend your teammate...You don't rush in to jack him up and question what he is doing...

By the same token, you also don't lose your composure like that if you are still trying to do your best for the team...Hence me saying he doesn't give a damn...

Yesterday they were still mathematically alive. Not only that, but individual pride was on the line. This was a Titans team that we have gotten into it with more than once.

For them to do that at that point in the game with their season on critical conditions speaks volumes to me. They quit. They don't care anymore.

They just want to stay healthy. Maybe get some individual accolades...and that's it...

Old School
12-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Link Here (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Video-Cushing-gets-called-for-penalty-after-fig?urn=nfl-297945)

I saw this and was going to post it too but I just didn't have the heart to. I guess I have quit on the season like the team has.

HoustonFrog
12-20-2010, 01:54 PM
How did Smith not get blasted by a coach or a talk by a team leader after doing it?....because it wouldn't be nice and there are no leaders on D. The guy should have been getting an earful.

Double Barrel
12-20-2010, 03:45 PM
How is this not a big deal?

Antonio Smith flat out said that the players don't always have each other's backs??

LMAO....WTF????

Spencer Tillman talked about this last night on "Inside the Game". He said it clearly shows a divisiveness in the locker room that is indicative of deeper issues. He said that in all the winning teams that he's played on, he has never seen this attitude surface. It is clearly the sign of LOSERS.

Hmmmm, Tillman has played the game and has won a championship in his pro career, so perhaps he's got some insight to locker room chemistry?

I can't believe that some folks don't clearly see something of this incident and words from a 5-9 team. :spin:

Marcus
12-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Spencer Tillman talked about this last night on "Inside the Game". He said it clearly shows a divisiveness in the locker room that is indicative of deeper issues. He said that in all the winning teams that he's played on, he has never seen this attitude surface. It is clearly the sign of LOSERS.

Hmmmm, Tillman has played the game and has won a championship in his pro career, so perhaps he's got some insight to locker room chemistry?

I can't believe that some folks don't clearly see something of this incident and words from a 5-9 team. :spin:

When a team has high expectations, and ends up 5-9, there are going to be just as many frustrated people in the locker room as this board, comparatively speaking.

What you do not know . . . is what came first? Is the divisiveness the cause or the effect.

If divisiveness is the cause of the 5-9, yeah, it's a big deal. But if there wasn't divisiveness in the first place, but there is now because they are 5-9, no, that's just a natural reaction, and no it's not a big deal.

But I'm not in the locker room, so I don't know which one it is.

And, Oh btw . . I don't trust Antonio Smith has far as I can throw him. He's a hothead and likes to stir up shit just to see his name in the paper.

Showtime100
12-20-2010, 04:45 PM
....and then there are the '85 Bears. Arguably the most dysfunctional Super Bowl Champion ever. That team was a traveling circus but their coaches weren't such clowns. :twocents:

Kimmy
12-20-2010, 08:20 PM
And we just made C'mon Man on MNF ....

We wanted media attention ... boy, do we have it now ....

Wolf
12-20-2010, 08:24 PM
I have been watching NFL Total Access, but no mention for it yet

JB
12-20-2010, 08:25 PM

:choke:

texanchris
12-20-2010, 08:27 PM

we are going to break record for most appearances on c'mon man... at least they didn't show that tipped pass.

Wolf
12-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Yahoo has a blog about it now

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Video-Cushing-gets-called-for-penalty-after-fig?urn=nfl-297945

Rey
12-20-2010, 08:59 PM
What you do not know . . . is what came first? Is the divisiveness the cause or the effect.

Honest question...

What difference does that make?

Obviously losing takes a toll on people...Not sure what you're saying here...

Rey
12-20-2010, 09:01 PM

Yeah, I saw that too...

And I've been on a few high school and college teams that have been competitive and in championship hunts and I would have to agree with Tillman...Players on winning teams with good chemistry in the locker room don't do that.....

I would not be surprised at all if the finger pointing has already begun/started a while ago...

Big Lou
12-21-2010, 11:47 PM
What happened?

The Refs called Smith offsides for the next play.....

Cushing drew him offsides.....

Smith thought Cushing was Bill Kollar......

Smith was pissed because Amobi was stealing his schtick......