PDA

View Full Version : Will someone please blame Dennison

cj5776
12-16-2010, 11:07 PM
Everytime people want to blame play calling they take shots at Kubes, why not blame the actual offensive coordinator. The team misses Baby Shanahan. The run to pass mix is very weak, there is no rhythm, they can not come through in the clutch, they rack up lots of yards and points after they have fallen behind. They are a little too old school Denver and can not utilize Walter and JJ. Everyone thinks he got demoted because he was not a McDaniels guy but IMO he got demoted because he earned it. Not that I totally excuses Kubes, another example of the team suffering because he brought in an old friend that is worthless.

2slik4u
12-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Everytime people want to blame play calling they take shots at Kubes, why not blame the actual offensive coordinator. The team misses Baby Shanahan. The run to pass mix is very weak, there is no rhythm, they can not come through in the clutch, they rack up lots of yards and points after they have fallen behind. They are a little too old school Denver and can not utilize Walter and JJ. Everyone thinks he got demoted because he was not a McDaniels guy but IMO he got demoted because he earned it. Not that I totally excuses Kubes, another example of the team suffering because he brought in an old friend that is worthless.

Last year the big complaint was we had no running game but we had the leagues leading passer. We now have the leagues leading rusher with a passer that could easily surpass 4000 yards again. Kubiak's hand is about wrist deep when it comes to play calling. He approves and sets up the gameplan....as he should.

All blame comes to Kubes.

JB
12-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Been there

Done that

Kube's team

Kube's guy's

FirstTexansFan
12-16-2010, 11:20 PM
It's a bot, it's posting the same message over and over... or could it be? :)

Showtime100
12-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Just so you youg 'uns know. If you start a thread and it sticks let it ride and don't hit any keys, otherwise you get a doublepost. :) :D

cj5776
Maybe Kube has final say but it seems this guy it bringing nothing to the table

JB
It's a bot, it's posting the same message over and over... or could it be? :)

Thanks bud! I was starting to think I was drunk and old and losing my memory!

Oh... wait!

Texan_Bill
12-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Un-effin-believable!! :gun:

FirstTexansFan
12-16-2010, 11:24 PM
Thanks bud! I was starting to think I was drunk and old and losing my memory!

Oh... wait!

Scientists say smoking pot causes short term memory loss. Either that, or they're running tests on those over 50 :)

cj5776
12-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Just so you youg 'uns know. If you start a thread and it sticks let it ride and don't hit any keys, otherwise you get a doublepost. :) :D

lol, sorry, shows you how little I have posted in the last 6 years even though I read everything

JB
12-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Un-effin-believable!! :gun:

Yeah well, obviously our defense sucks and is costing us a lot of games. We need to call out the OC...

2slik4u
12-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Maybe Kube has final say but it seems this guy it bringing nothing to the table

Dude, I appreciate you bringing up a new thread topic on this one but finding another person to blame is asking a lot. Its been ANOTHER long season with a lot of failed expectations.

At this point I would leave it alone and blame Kubes. The only person I will also blame is Bush seeing as how Kubes isnt a defense guy so he has no idea what the crap hes talking about.

Damnit!

I told myself I wouldnt talk about this crap again!

:rake:

Texan_Bill
12-16-2010, 11:27 PM
Yeah well, obviously our defense sucks and is costing us a lot of games. We need to call out the OC...

:lol:

:whew I'm going back to the "Drunk Thread", for obvious reasons..... :rolleyes:

Showtime100
12-16-2010, 11:27 PM
lol, sorry, shows you how little I have posted in the last 6 years even though I read everything

Cool! I'm glad you didn't think I was bitching. I have enjoyed the board tonight and was just playing around. :clown:

JB
12-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Scientists say smoking pot causes short term memory loss. Either that, or they're running tests on those over 50 :)

I fall under both of those criteria and yeah, I agree with...

Wait, what were we talking about?

cj5776
12-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Dude, I appreciate you bringing up a new thread topic on this one but finding another person to blame is asking a lot. Its been ANOTHER long season with a lot of failed expectations.

At this point I would leave it alone and blame Kubes. The only person I will also blame is Bush seeing as how Kubes isnt a defense guy so he has no idea what the crap hes talking about.

Damnit!

I told myself I wouldnt talk about this crap again!

:rake:

understood, just needed to vent

TheMatrix31
12-17-2010, 03:39 AM
100% agreed. Dennison sucks compared to other Kubiak guy, Kyle Shanahan.

leebigeztx
12-17-2010, 04:01 AM
I think schaub is a fraud. I know what happens and its the same thing because of what he can't do. He cant threaten the perimeter of the the field because of lack of strength in both his lower body and arm. So the texans get down because of the 3 and outs, then when the opposition plays loose and does the bend don't break, schaub gets hot. If you notice, all the passes are inside the numbers. Anytime schaub tries to throw a comeback route outside the numbers, you better hold your breathe. Not only that, he has a slow setup and slow feet. Schaub and being the fraud he is deserves alot of blame.

Dishman
12-17-2010, 09:06 AM
I think schaub is a fraud. I know what happens and its the same thing because of what he can't do. He cant threaten the perimeter of the the field because of lack of strength in both his lower body and arm. So the texans get down because of the 3 and outs, then when the opposition plays loose and does the bend don't break, schaub gets hot. If you notice, all the passes are inside the numbers. Anytime schaub tries to throw a comeback route outside the numbers, you better hold your breathe. Not only that, he has a slow setup and slow feet. Schaub and being the fraud he is deserves alot of blame.

I don't know that he's a fraud, but I do think there is some truth to what you're saying. Still, he seems to be fairly capable and has put up some nice numbers in the past.

False Start
12-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Will someone please blame the hot dog guy? :bat:

HuttoKarl
12-17-2010, 09:31 AM
It's the whole coaching staff....they all suck.

TheCD
12-17-2010, 09:32 AM
The run to pass mix is very weak, there is no rhythm, they can not come through in the clutch, they rack up lots of yards and points after they have fallen behind.

Gruden was saying on Monday night that we are probably the most balanced team in terms of playcalling. I agree it gets frustrating how we can scorch up and down the field at time, but at other times look like we've got no idea what we're doing.

gary
12-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Turner for OC if the Chargers let him go.

IDEXAN
12-17-2010, 10:35 AM
No, because our basic problems aren't offensive, they are in the defense.

TexansBlood
12-17-2010, 10:42 AM
It's the whole coaching staff....they all suck.

Thank you. Fire all those c#@% suckers.

Goatcheese
12-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Why would you blame Denny? He was brought here to fix the running game and get it in line with Kube's passing attack.

I'd say he's done an incredible job.

People need to realize that every offense gets stopped. Peyton Manning has been shut down for entire halves at times even against our crappy defense. Good defenses hold teams scoreless for long stretches all the time. The mark of a good offense is being able to figure out a good defense and I think it's pretty clear we're able to do that most of the time.

Even against the Ravens most of our first half struggles were self inflicted. We missed a field goal and had 5 drops that killed our drives. Otherwise we likely score another 10 points easily and atleast give them bad field position which gives the defense more chances to come up with a stop.

Hervoyel
12-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Under Shanahan in Denver the OC was Shanahan regardless of who held the title. I don't think Gary runs things any differently here really. Does Dennison have input? Sure, no doubt he does just like Kyle Shanahan did before him. Does Gary get the final say in what happens and/or take the reigns in crunch time? Not a doubt in my mind.

HOU-TEX
12-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Screw the coaches.....FIRE TORO! That no good furry POS hasn't done a damn thing to help.

Speaking of people who don't do a damn thing. How's Ray Rhodes workin out? Pffft!

NitroGSXR
12-17-2010, 10:51 AM
I think Dennison is getting a bit too much credit for fixing the run game. This is more the case of a... player improving the scheme. Arian Foster was running well for those two final games last season without Dennison.

Arian Foster for All Pro.

Goatcheese
12-17-2010, 10:58 AM
I think Dennison is getting a bit too much credit for fixing the run game. This is more the case of a... player improving the scheme. Arian Foster was running well for those two final games last season without Dennison.

That would make sense if Slaton wasn't averaging 4.9 YPC and Ward wasn't averaging 6.0 YPC.

drs23
12-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Will someone please blame the hot dog guy? :bat:

Damn Hot Dog Guy. Mustard, no ketchup! Damn Hot Dog Guy! You're gone!:gamer:

How was that, FS?

Brisco_County
12-17-2010, 04:41 PM

The run game was also fixed by purging the dogma of Alex Gibbs' zone blocking. We started loosening up the pure ZBS with outside zone running and power blocking. Arian took it and executed perfectly.

Dennison does deserve some heat, though. He hasn't come close to being the complement for Schaub that Kyle Shanahan was. I honestly don't think Schaub will ever have an OC who clicks as well with him than Kyle. For instance, one strategy that Dennison didn't use this year was to run David Anderson on the underneath route, which opened up Andre so much last year.

DexmanC
12-17-2010, 04:52 PM
The run game was also fixed by purging the dogma of Alex Gibbs' zone blocking. We started loosening up the pure ZBS with outside zone running and power blocking. Arian took it and executed perfectly.

Dennison does deserve some heat, though. He hasn't come close to being the complement for Schaub that Kyle Shanahan was. I honestly don't think Schaub will ever have an OC who clicks as well with him than Kyle. For instance, one strategy that Dennison didn't use this year was to run David Anderson on the underneath route, which opened up Andre so much last year.

Can't we blame the Knappyheaded QB coach for that?

b0ng
12-17-2010, 05:41 PM
You last two posters do realize that Schaub is not going to throw for 4700 yards every single season he starts for the Texans right?

RIGHT?

m5kwatts
12-17-2010, 05:53 PM
This thread is ridiculous. Look, Kubiak deserves a lot of blame but not for what he's done with this offense. I think this year it's been established that our offense is Super Bowl-ready.

Kubiak deserves blame for the defense. He's shown a consistent inability to hire even average defensive coaches. THAT is the problem, people, not the offense, not the offensive coaches or the offensive special video assistant or whoever you want to ignorantly blame. The finger is pointed at the defense. If the defense was even average this year we'd be 9-4 and this thread wouldn't exist.

b0ng
12-17-2010, 06:13 PM
I can't blame Dennison. What are the major flaws of the offense this year? Not being able to outscore our defense, and. . . boneheaded playcalling in some situations and brilliant playcalling in others? Last year we couldn't run to save our life, and, we sure as hell weren't efficient in the RZ. This year those two flaws pretty much evaporated, and we're left with minor nitpicky things to gripe about, and not HUGE GLARING FLAWS THAT MY 6 YEAR OLD COULD POINT OUT.

After watching 14 out of the 16 games of this season, I have to say the Dennison hire was not a bad one.

CloakNNNdagger
12-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Under Shanahan in Denver the OC was Shanahan regardless of who held the title. I don't think Gary runs things any differently here really. Does Dennison have input? Sure, no doubt he does just like Kyle Shanahan did before him. Does Gary get the final say in what happens and/or take the reigns in crunch time? Not a doubt in my mind.

And that's exactly why the Kubiak's "decision-making" has lacked so greatly and not extrapolated to the HC position's responsibilities let alone the OC's.

False Start
12-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Damn Hot Dog Guy. Mustard, no ketchup! Damn Hot Dog Guy! You're gone!:gamer:

How was that, FS?

Perfect. Another thing is, last time I went to a game, he gave me dimes in my change! :shades:

JB
12-17-2010, 07:36 PM

Perfect. Another thing is, last time I went to a game, he gave me dimes in my change! :shades:

Dimes? Dimes?

We don't need no stinkin' dimes!

DexmanC
12-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Has there ever been a head coach with a beta-male personality do anything
in the NFL?

Kubiak's the quintessential Beta-Male. There are no alphas to move
the men on this team, and it has been obvious for years now.

Kubiak's the chief, and nobody on this team wants to steal his
"shine," and that decision is hurting the team (my opinion, of course.)

CloakNNNdagger
12-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Has there ever been a head coach with a beta-male personality do anything
in the NFL?

Kubiak's the quintessential Beta-Male. There are no alphas to move
the men on this team, and it has been obvious for years now.

Kubiak's the chief, and nobody on this team wants to steal his
"shine," and that decision is hurting the team (my opinion, of course.)

The evolution of the beta male.
http://startswithabang.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/the_evolution_of_man.jpg

Brisco_County
12-17-2010, 10:41 PM
You last two posters do realize that Schaub is not going to throw for 4700 yards every single season he starts for the Texans right?

RIGHT?

Let's not distort my point into something I was not implying. Like I said, the play calling was more consistently effective last year, which I supported with an example. This year, our offense is not in rythm until halfway through the 3rd quarter, which is supported by glaring stats that everyone here has seen many times by now. This fact is totally unrelated to the defense.

Texan_Bill
12-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Screw the coaches.....FIRE TORO! That no good furry POS hasn't done a damn thing to help.

Speaking of people who don't do a damn thing. How's Ray Rhodes workin out? Pffft!

Dude... For reallz??? I've been trying to fire Toro for years!!!! That hairy sumbitch needs to go,.... PERIOD!!!
As far as the offense?? The LEAST of my worries!!!!

What a dumbass!!

NitroGSXR
12-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Dude... For reallz??? I've been trying to fire Toro for years!!!! That hairy sumbitch needs to go,.... PERIOD!!!

What a dumbass!!

Aw. We love Toro. Now if we could just do away with the new Battle Red Toro... or at least get him a helluva lot more red dye. That was the most pathetic battle red anything.

Oh yeah... Fire Dennison!!

:)

NitroGSXR
12-17-2010, 11:05 PM

What a dumbass!!

Aw. We love Toro. Now if we could just do away with the new Battle Red Toro... or at least get him a helluva lot more red dye. That was the most pathetic battle red anything.

Oh yeah... Fire Dennison!!

:)

michaelm
12-18-2010, 12:20 AM

meh...

We're #9 in the NFL in scoring. Not great, but good enough to have a winning record if our defense didn't give it up like a prom date with daddy issues.
Unlike most of the teams above us in scoring, you KNOW we didn't get any of our points from defense or special teams...

Hervoyel
12-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Obviously the defense is in much worse shape than the offense. I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise. The offense does have problems however and those are apparent to anyone who has actually watched them play (as opposed to determining their value through statistics alone).

The slow starts are killing us. They leave our already bad defense out on the field most of the first half nearly every week. Drives aren't being finished because normally sure-handed players are dropping passes left and right. When that isn't happening we shot ourselves in the foot by taking shots deep when all we need is a few yards to extend the drive. I'm all for taking shots deep but we've done it on plays this season where we needed to stay on the field more than a quick score and we've done that a lot. We also go through stretches where we seem to forget that we have a top running back at our disposal. Yes, a lot of that has been later in games when we're trying to get back into the game we let get away from us but it also happens in the first half. Need 3-5 yards on third down? Throw it thirty yards to a hobbled AJ or watch Kevin Walter (or Dreeson) drop a pass that hits them in the hands.

I see it as a problem that's equal parts player mistakes and incomprehensible play calling. Last season we suffered through a sophomore slump from Steve Slaton. We couldn't run and when we tried we turned the ball over. It was maddening but we found better options at running back and we seem to have that solved. This year we went into the season expecting good things from our WR's and TE's but apart from Andre Johnson they've disappointed. It can be fixed though. Owen Daniels will be better next year. Casey should supplant Dreeson (not sure why he hasn't already) and Kevin Walter should return to form. Jacoby and David Anderson should be on another team or out of football by this time next year. Dorin Dickerson should have replaced one of the two. We can sign a free agent (in theory, not sure the Texans will do it) and we can draft a WR if need be.

Our problems with player mistakes will go away if addressed. The problems with our offenses bat-shit decision making however..... well if Bob McNair's last words on the subject were sincere then that problem isn't going anywhere. More than that however is the fact that we've had that problem for 5 years and it hasn't gotten much better. I'm being serious here. Since 2006 when Kubiak took over we've been seeing the Texans, even at times when they are otherwise doing fine make inexplicable decisions about everything from play selection to clock management. It's been 5 years and our head coach should understand how all this works but here we are in 2010 watching him do many of the exact same things that helped cost us games the previous four years.

This half of the problems we've seen in 2010 was here before I even knew Dennison existed. We were doing stupid shit when Kyle Shanahan was our OC and when Mike Sherman was holding his hand before that.

I can't blame Dennison for this. It's Gary Kubiak who makes this happen.