PDA

View Full Version : ... probably not firing Kubiak

Pages : 1 [2]

steelbtexan
12-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Okay, you are correct on that, and listening to talk radio in Houston for about 15 minutes could confirm this. But are you guys going to cause a blackout for the Jags game? How about next season? If you can do that then you'll see dire changes in an immediate fashion I'm sure. But, right now, these things aren't happening, and so I can only assume that while some fans are upset at the team and are throwing down the gauntlet for McNair to improve the team before they come back, it does not look like anything will come of it this year. Maybe something will happen next year, maybe a blackout will occur. Right now though, there are a few teams that suffer from blackouts from time to time, and the Houston Texans. . . they ain't one of em.

You're right and this is why we should boycott the Jacksonville game.

The game is still sold out due to season ticket sales.

The billboard/picketing thing is the way to go IMHO.

Thousands of people at the game should make signs to let their feeling be known. Like I have starting with the Tack game this yr.

Mr. White
12-17-2010, 08:24 PM
Jason LaCanfora said that Houston is Cowhers most likely choice if he returns. Bob doesnt hire anyone else that would like to come to houston (Schoebel) so dont think he will hire Cowher either....

I'm not biting. I'll believe what my eyes tell me.

And my eyes are telling me that Bob McNair's fighting harder for the current staff than they're fighting for themselves.

Does Cowher want to come to Houston? Probably.

Does Bob McNair want Cowher to come to Houston? I doubt it. Cowher doesn't fit in with Clay Walker and checkered tablecloths and Sunday School teachin'.

If you use the F-word and don't listen to Pat Boone, then you won't be getting the HC gig in Houston.

BobbleTexan
12-17-2010, 08:58 PM
For all who decide you are not going to renew your season tickets, do you have PSL's? Will you lose your PSL if you don't renew?

Yes, you lose your PSL if you do not renew.............

Texecutioner
12-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Quite simply for me, i love the game of football & i'm a homer so regardless i'm going to be rooting them on. If you fair weather fans want to jump ship just b/c you're not gonna get your way fine by me. Just don't come back when its winning time.

And this is exactly why I don't know why anyone would waste time arguing with you about this team. By your own admission you're a homer and you don't care what this owner is committed to or what his plans are for this team. You'll root regardless and you'll come up with whatever spin or excuse that you can because that it was a homer does. Anyone who argues with you or debates a topic regarding the Texans from this point forward is simply wasting their time.

And I think you should learn about what a fair weather fan is. No one here once said that they'll only root for the team when they're winning. They've never won!!!! They said that they'd root for them once they finally changed this regime and went with something new which would show that the owner and his management actually cares about pleasing the fans and building a winner here. You can root for a loser all that you want. Enjoy it. I won't waste the time or the efforts. I'll gladly root for my secondary favorite teams that are at least committed to winning whether they're successful or not, and will make whatever changes necessary if they're not going where they need to go within a reasonable amount of time. I'll root for this team when Kubiak and Smith are gone. Mcnair is losing fans by the dozen and that willl only continue from this point on. He's digging his own grave.

charterTexanfan
12-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Andre Johnson deserves better.

:roast: Kubiak.

infantrycak
12-18-2010, 09:42 AM
Does Bob McNair want Cowher to come to Houston? I doubt it. Cowher doesn't fit in with Clay Walker and checkered tablecloths and Sunday School teachin'.

If you use the F-word and don't listen to Pat Boone, then you won't be getting the HC gig in Houston.

I'm sorry but that is just stupid. Nitrohonda is far better at reading lips than me but Kubiak drops profanity laced tirades on national TV on a consistent basis particularly directed at officials. At least make the criticism realistic.

NitroGSXR
12-18-2010, 10:07 AM
I'm sorry but that is just stupid. Nitrohonda is far better at reading lips than me but Kubiak drops profanity laced tirades on national TV on a consistent basis particularly directed at officials. At least make the criticism realistic.

This post gets NitroHonda's lipreading seal of approval.

Don't get me wrong... there's plenty that I misunderstand or don't catch but you are just about correct as can be! Kubiak sure can dish some venom out. I've even seen him say to Jacques Reeves... don't be a ****ing p***y. Kubiak is not difficult for me nor many other people such as yourself to lipread if he's not happy.

Bill Kollar is the king of profanity though! Just some things just can' be repeated. Wow!

texanchris
12-18-2010, 10:23 AM
I dont understand how Mcnair could justify keeping Kubiak. Dolphins went 1-15 and then next season they made it to playoffs. The 0-16 lions will probably turn it around faster than we currently are. Even the Rams who spent their number 1 pick on a qb this year have a better record than us. I dont care about the teams they beat because in the end they will still be in the play-offs. We've had five years where we defiantly have the talent but some of the play calling has been questionable. Kubiak is just like Mike Shanahan's broncos team before he got fired, all offense but no defense.

Mr. White
12-18-2010, 12:25 PM

Aww, great. Look what I did. I posted without researching. I should have known someone would come along and split that hair.

That was pretty stupid of me. My sincerest apologies to all of McNair's supporters. It was pretty ignorant of me to bring Pat Boone into this, too. Bob McNair quit listening to Pat Boone after this album came out.

http://countzeroor.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/album_cover_crap_208_-_dio_net.jpg?w=300&h=295

barrett
12-18-2010, 12:37 PM
TBB is asking the fans what would you do? You're Bob McNair. You have already made up your mind that you're not going to fire Gary Kubiak but you are going to make some changes. What are the changes you would make? I've made my first move. You can read the full story and comment here (http://www.texansbullblog.com/mcnair/news/)

With Bob McNair’s recent public comments regarding the state of the franchise, it has become fairly clear that the Texans won’t be in the market for a new head coach next year. Regardless of whether or not you think Bob is making the right call by choosing to keep Gary Kubiak as the head coach of the Houston Texans, that’s the way it’s going to be. You’re going to have to accept all of his weaknesses along with his strengths for at least another season. (assuming there will be football next year.) While many are calling for Kubiak’s head, it has been made fairly clear from multiple angles that the CBA unrest is not a good situation to be turning over an entire staff.

Mr. McNair had many positive things to say about how close he thinks the Texans are to being a great football team. He also said that Texans fans can expect “some changes”

My guy, Rick Smith has to go.
Three weeks ago I wrote about one change that I thought might be the best of both worlds. Removing “my guy”, Rick Smith as GM and replacing him with someone who understands Kubiak’s needs in this system but ultimately has authority over him. Smith has claimed that he has final say but I have a feeling that he and Kubiak are more of equals. Replacing Smith would maintain some of the stability that McNair longs for by keeping the elite offensive structure in tact but removing some of Kubiak’s freedom to be an undying loyalist. It has become quite clear for some time that Gary’s decision to promote Frank Bush as defensive coordinator was a mistake. Furthermore, his decision to keep him as such is an even bigger issue. Kubiak’s loyalty at times is what makes this team capable of coming back from 21 points down but his loyalty also employs the defensive coordinator that allows 21 points repeatedly that have to be come back from. By removing Rick Smith and replacing him with a GM who would pull the plug on a system that is clearly dysfunctional, this team could easily overcome it’s slow starts offensively.

Surreal McCoy
12-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Aww, great. Look what I did. I posted without researching. I should have known someone would come along and split that hair.

Owned and still not man enough to admit it. Oh well, there's always the next fabrication.

b0ng
12-18-2010, 03:03 PM

That was pretty stupid of me. My sincerest apologies to all of McNair's supporters. It was pretty ignorant of me to bring Pat Boone into this, too. Bob McNair quit listening to Pat Boone after this album came out.

Don't get too butthurt for being called out on your dumb ****. Wouldn't look like a proper hater then:

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/b0ngerz/56095738_15d318e014_m.jpg

Lucky
12-18-2010, 03:09 PM
TBB is asking the fans what would you do? You're Bob McNair. You have already made up your mind that you're not going to fire Gary Kubiak but you are going to make some changes. What are the changes you would make?
The first change I make is to my medication. Clearly I've lost my mind if I think keeping a losing head coach is a good idea.

Someone please explain to me why it's fine and dandy to replace the General Manager of the football team prior to a lockout, but a no-no to swap the head coach? If there won't be enough time to install new schemes, how is there enough time to make plans regarding new personnel? And if there is new personnel, I guess they have no chance at learning the scheme and will be forced to bench warmer status. Can't learn a scheme on the fly (Pollard), right?

If the lockout forces the owner to stick with the head coach, then by the same logic, the GM and the DC must be kept. Can't have change, oh no. BTW, what GM worth his salt would take a job that required him to keep a failed head coach? Conflict would be created immediately. It would never work. Clean house totally, else it's just a big waste of time.

P.S. Whatever Kubiak is saying to the refs is nothing compared to what I say to Kubiak.

P.P.S. Debbie Boone called to say the Texans are soft.

Maddict5
12-18-2010, 03:55 PM
count me as one of the few who would rather keep kubiak and let him learn from his mistake this year and let him get a proper secondary rather than cleaning house and bring in someone like cowher.

granted i (like everyone else) wanted this thing to happen alot faster and definitely thought this would be the year it all came together- as im sure bob, kubiak etc thought too based on how we ended last year.

they focused on the things that killed us last year- namely the run game and kicking game. everything else was playoff worthy bar those two and it has to be said they've improved those areas considerably and kept everything else on track more or less... with one HUGE exception- we can still pass it with anyone (and we got a glimpse of how a healthy OD helps & will help on MNF), we can still stop the run against nearly everyone. even if we were below average at defending the pass (like on mnf too- not good but made enough plays to overcome it), we'd be a good/great team. We aren't though- for nearly the whole season we've been terrible at defending the pass. yes it was their fault they ended up with the cbs they have but dont forget either they tried to bring in leigh bodden in FA so its not like they were totally oblivious to the possible problem either

and i may get slated for this but i dont think thats frank bush's fault either. he showed with the dunta/reeves/quin combo last year that he can co-ordinate a successful D with a pretty average bunch of cbs as these help mask the problems our safety's have aswell.

so even if there is no changes in co-ordinators i wouldnt get into too much a hissy fit cos i can see where they're coming from. if there is a change, so be it. imo the smartest thing to do is let them have one last chance to iron that last problem out. theres too many other good things going on with this team to bring it down. and il applaud mcnair for having the strength and conviction to not bow to public opinion if he does decide to give kubiak one last shot. that would def be the popular thing to do.

totally unrelated but fwiw the last time he went against such public opinion he ended up with mario williams. the masses arent always right either.

Mr. White
12-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Owned and still not man enough to admit it. Oh well, there's always the next fabrication.

Don't get too butthurt for being called out on your dumb ****. Wouldn't look like a proper hater then:

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/b0ngerz/56095738_15d318e014_m.jpg

I totally got owned and I'm not butt-hurt at all. Kubiak is an avid user of the F-word as any novice lip-reader can easily attest to.

Since I got "owned," my point is now totally negated. McNair is a winner in every sense of the word and it's obvious that he'll do whatever it takes to win right now. He'll bring in the toughest, dirtiest, meanest guys he can find. He doesn't care how mean they are as long as they can win.

He'll fire whoever's getting in the way of the team's success no matter how much he likes them. Then he'll replace them with the most successful candidates available immediately.

charterTexanfan
12-18-2010, 04:22 PM
I totally got owned and I'm not butt-hurt at all. Kubiak is an avid user of the F-word as any novice lip-reader can easily attest to.

Since I got "owned," my point is now totally negated. McNair is a winner in every sense of the word and it's obvious that he'll do whatever it takes to win right now. He'll bring in the toughest, dirtiest, meanest guys he can find. He doesn't care how mean they are as long as they can win.

He'll fire whoever's getting in the way of the team's success no matter how much he likes them. Then he'll replace them with the most successful candidates available immediately.

horse$hit. no he won't. :shots:

Lucky
12-18-2010, 04:26 PM
totally unrelated but fwiw the last time he went against such public opinion he ended up with mario williams. the masses arent always right either.
He also kept David Carr, so even that offseason was a mixed bag.

And McNair's not just going against the masses, aka the paying customers. He's also bucking against tradition. It's traditional to axe a coach who can't get his team into the playoffs in 5 seasons. So, it's not just us crazy fans who think Kubiak should be canned. It's the legacy of nearly every NFL owner over the past 50 years.

Maddict5
12-18-2010, 04:48 PM
He also kept David Carr, so even that offseason was a mixed bag.

And McNair's not just going against the masses, aka the paying customers. He's also bucking against tradition. It's traditional to axe a coach who can't get his team into the playoffs in 5 seasons. So, it's not just us crazy fans who think Kubiak should be canned. It's the legacy of nearly every NFL owner over the past 50 years.

true but theres also been plenty of great coaches who've been fired from their first job and went on to be successful. its a judgement call on mcnairs part.

to all the guys who want kubiak gone- which has more chance of success next year: kubiak & co with an upgraded seondary or coach x bringing in his own new offensive & defensive scheme?

it seems pretty simple to me that this team is a secondary away from being a great overall team next yr. does the team have a chance to be great with a new coach? definitely yes... but theres also the risk that next yr becomes a 'rebuilding' year under a new coach esp if they have their own different schemes that dont fit the guys we have atm

DexmanC
12-18-2010, 04:51 PM
true but theres also been plenty of great coaches who've been fired from their first job and went on to be successful. its a judgement call on mcnairs part.

to all the guys who want kubiak gone- which has more chance of success next year: kubiak & co with an upgraded seondary or coach x bringing in his own new offensive & defensive scheme?

it seems pretty simple to me that this team is a secondary away from being a great overall team next yr. does the team have a chance to be great with a new coach? definitely yes... but theres also the risk that next yr becomes a 'rebuilding' year under a new coach esp if they have their own different schemes that dont fit the guys we have atm

Last year this team was D-Coordingator, a kicker and runningback away from being a winning
team. They addressed all those issues, and it's the same 'ol ****.
This year, the secondary is the the problem. What's next?

It's ALWAYS something with this team, and we've started 5-7 in
FOUR CONSECUTIVE SEASONS. It's ALWAYS something.

We are a REGIME CHANGE away from becoming a winning team.

thunderkyss
12-18-2010, 07:11 PM
You act like there is thousands of fans dropping tickets becasue of Kubiak and sorry, it isn't be happen. I think you are seriously underselling fans and there wanting to just be at a game. You do realize how long it took for fans to get tired of the Oilers right? Fans here are little more patient than you give them credit for....

I bought my season tickets in 2006. That year, it seemed as if the visiting team's fans outnumbered the Texans' fans. We were 4-4 at home that year. 2007, we were 6-2 at home.

2008 & 2009...... & most of this year, there were Texans fans all over section 608-609 & very few visiting team fans. Dallas & Baltimore were the exceptions.

Starting to see it come full circle.

thunderkyss
12-18-2010, 07:21 PM
You can't be that clueless. Look, this is a business. Bob provides something to his customers. The product is bad. His customers are unhappy. Therefore, Bob had better do something to improve the product, or he will lose his customers.

Get it?

Why is this so freaking hard to understand, people? Yeesh.

Look at the business. Teams like the Lions are still around & making money.

Bob's laid the foundation well enough, to be among the healthier franchises with the history of this team.

He could probably go another 10 years without winning more than 7-8 games, & he'll still be making money as an owner of an NFL franchise.

Cardinals, Lions, Saints....... they've gone decades with ho-hum teams & the Cardinals even got a new stadium for it.

Jerseys..... tickets..... Bob ain't worried about that. He makes money everytime someone stays in a Houston Hotel. Everytime an NFL game is watched. He's got so many income streams off this franchise, it's ridiculous.

ThaShark316
12-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Last year this team was D-Coordingator, a kicker and runningback away from being a winning
team. They addressed all those issues, and it's the same 'ol ****.
This year, the secondary is the the problem. What's next?

It's ALWAYS something with this team, and we've started 5-7 in
FOUR CONSECUTIVE SEASONS. It's ALWAYS something.

We are a REGIME CHANGE away from becoming a winning team.

Doubtful...no safeties, no DTs, no defense overall...

thunderkyss
12-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Nobody is saying fans are useless.....

The thing that gets me, is that fans believe McNair doesn't care if he wins or loses. That they somehow give more of a damn about this franchises W/L record.

As a fan, I can easily say, "Woohoo Kubiak" in 2006 & act as if I would have made the same decision. Then 4 years later, call it the biggest mistake in franchise history.

McNair gambled on Kubiak at the end of 2009. Like Texans Hold'em, McNair thought he was sitting on a straight draw after the flop, 2010 (the turn) came up useless. Now McNair has to decide if he's going to hold'em or fold'em.

But it's his decision. If he feels good about his hand, he feels good about his hand.

We can either try to decipher how he came to that conclusion, try to get behind this team, for 16 games (funny we (of all fans) complain that our team can't play 4 Qtrs), or we can puff our "internet" chests & make an ass of ourselves.

I choose the former.

disaacks3
12-18-2010, 07:55 PM

It's a circular argument. You're assuming that Kubiak keeps getting "better" as a coach (depite evidence to the contrary). Maybe getting his butt kicked out of th HC gig in Houston will make him see the light at his next stop, but don't believe for a minute that the Texans get better if he stays here. Rewarding mediocrity does nothing to make Kubiak work harder / get better.

THIS was suppose to be "the year"....lat year we were knocking, but THIS year was supposed to be the one we kicked the damn thing in.

The only way this team gets better under Kubiak at this point is BLIND LUCK.

JB
12-18-2010, 07:59 PM
It's a circular argument. You're assuming that Kubiak keeps getting "better" as a coach (depite evidence to the contrary). Maybe getting his butt kicked out of th HC gig in Houston will make him see the light at his next stop, but don't believe for a minute that the Texans get better if he stays here. Rewarding mediocrity does nothing to make Kubiak work harder / get better.

THIS was suppose to be "the year"....lat year we were knocking, but THIS year was supposed to be the one we kicked the damn thing in.

And we have all heard this about 20 years ago... we know how that turned out.

disaacks3
12-18-2010, 08:02 PM
The thing that gets me, is that fans believe McNair doesn't care if he wins or loses. That they somehow give more of a damn about this franchises W/L record.

As a fan, I can easily say, "Woohoo Kubiak" in 2006 & act as if I would have made the same decision. Then 4 years later, call it the biggest mistake in franchise history.

I've never said bringing Kubiak here was a mistake, he's certainly brought us closer to respectability than Capers ever did. I just don't think it's enough.

5 years to get the job done (playoffs) and we're farther away than we were LAST year.

IMHO - It's McNair's time to show he isn't ONLY concerned with the almighty $$. As a businessman, he should know when to cut his losses and move in a new direction....IF his goal is a playoff-caliber team.

If it's to simply make $$ - Stand pat and hope for the best.

He has the best scenario for cutting Kubiak loose and getting a VERY highly respected coach in to replace him that he'll likely EVER see.

Want MY worst case scenario? - We keep Kubiak another year, regress even farther, Cowher gets snapped up and we can't find a decent coach who wants to come here and fix the "dmaged goods".

JB
12-18-2010, 08:06 PM
I've never said bringing Kubiak here was a mistake, he's certainly brought us closer to respectability than Capers ever did. I just don't think it's enough.

5 years to get the job done (playoffs) and we're farther away than we were LAST year.

IMHO - It's McNair's tiem to show he isn't ONLY concerned with the almighty $$. As a businessman, he should know when to cut his losses and move in a new direction....IF his goal is a playoff-caliber team.

If it's to simply make $$ - Stand pat and hope for the best.

He has the best scenario for cutting Kubiak loose and getting a VERY highly respected coach in to replace him that he'll likely EVER see.

Want MY worst case scenario? - We keep Kubiak another year, regress even farther, Cowher gets snapped up and we can't find a decent coach who wants to come here and fix the "dmaged goods".

This is pretty much how I see it.

gary
12-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Bob is like a God to some around here but not to me.

JB
12-18-2010, 08:09 PM

I don't think anyone considers McNair in anything close to that regard Gary.

gary
12-18-2010, 08:18 PM
I don't think anyone considers McNair in anything close to that regard Gary.
Then, why not all standup to him?

JB
12-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Then, why not all standup to him?

In what regard?

gary
12-18-2010, 08:33 PM
In what regard?Make it certain that we all want a change.

Dishman
12-18-2010, 08:59 PM

Changes to come in the offseason:
• Smithiak fires Bush as the DC
• Smithiak promotes Gibbs as the new DC sans any outside interviews
• Not much effin else

Rinse and repeat??

GuerillaBlack
12-18-2010, 09:12 PM

They have been losing games the exact same ways for the past four seasons. It's time for a new coach.

Lucky
12-18-2010, 10:04 PM
I'll take my chances with Coach X. I know Coach K will fail.

Doubtful...no safeties, no DTs, no defense overall...
There's not a doubt in my mind that the right staff would have won the AFC South this season with the talent on hand. Are the Texans perfect? Hardly. No team is. But, a good staff could have coached up this secondary to an adequate level. Of course, the right staff would have known better than to go into a season with such an inexperience secondary.

Rey
12-18-2010, 10:18 PM

Honestly, I haven't seen anyone act like that...

gary
12-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Honestly, I haven't seen anyone act like that...
Not enough are on him for a change maybe I was strong but I think all of us should demand new blood in this city.

JB
12-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Not enough are on him for a change maybe I was strong but I think all of us should demand new blood in this city.

If everyone agreed with you, what do you propose to do? Do you think a billboard or pickets will have an effect as long as the stadium continues to be sold out?

NitroGSXR
12-18-2010, 10:31 PM
If everyone agreed with you, what do you propose to do? Do you think a billboard or pickets will have an effect as long as the stadium continues to be sold out?

Let's ask Al Davis how effective that was.

gary
12-18-2010, 10:32 PM
If everyone agreed with you, what do you propose to do? Do you think a billboard or pickets will have an effect as long as the stadium continues to be sold out?Cut down on all your support Gary must go period.

gary
12-18-2010, 10:51 PM
We all want a winning team in the end and I just hope we get one soon.

BullNation4Life
12-18-2010, 11:28 PM
As bad as the Texans are, the next two teams coming in are just as bad (Titans) if not worse (Denver). The Jags may be in the playoffs by week 17 and might start Todd Bouman or whomever their second stringer is. I'm betting the Texans end at 7-9 or 6-10 on the season and for some superflous reason Kubiak is retained. All bets would be off though if they went from 4-2 to 5-11, that would be one epic choke job.

I agree with 100% on everything you said, hell I was saying for 5 pages. The Texans make too much money for their owner to up and listen to the fans when the fans are still bringing in the profits.

HOWEVA! If Tebow beat this Houston Texan team, cause looks like Tebow may be starting, heads need to roll out of pure embarrassment....

TexansSeminole
12-18-2010, 11:43 PM
I agree with 100% on everything you said, hell I was saying for 5 pages. The Texans make too much money for their owner to up and listen to the fans when the fans are still bringing in the profits.

HOWEVA! If Tebow beat this Houston Texan team, cause looks like Tebow may be starting, heads need to roll out of pure embarrassment....

Dude, if Tebow beats the Texans I will probably be getting kicked out of the bar I go to on Sundays. Out of all the people on this board I think that may piss me off more than any.

If Cushing literally ripped Tebow's leg off, I would be standing up cheering. No lie. I'll be the one saying, "hey it's football", only after I yell "get that mother f*". :)

steelbtexan
12-19-2010, 12:01 AM

It wont matter.

I rember some on the MB saying 10-6 or Kubes is gone. Others were playoffs or bust. IMO

Some were saying SOS didn't matter. Some were saying the young DB's didn't matter.

Guess what this whole season didn't matter unless the team fell flat on its face. Because uncle BoB was blowing smoke up his paying customers butts. He intended to bring back Smithiak regardless. Why you ask? He's making $$$$ hand over fist and he like him some Smithiak.

Problem is his customers are starting to wisen up. The con game will be up soon.

TexCanada
12-19-2010, 12:01 AM

McNair gambled on Kubiak at the end of 2009. Like Texans Hold'em, McNair thought he was sitting on a straight draw after the flop, 2010 (the turn) came up useless. Now McNair has to decide if he's going to hold'em or fold'em.

But it's his decision. If he feels good about his hand, he feels good about his hand.

We can either try to decipher how he came to that conclusion, try to get behind this team, for 16 games (funny we (of all fans) complain that our team can't play 4 Qtrs), or we can puff our "internet" chests & make an ass of ourselves.

I choose the former.

This is a pretty thin argument. The only people that think Kubiak is a "straight draw" are you and McNair. Kubiak is a deuce seven off-suit. Fold 'em.

steelbtexan
12-19-2010, 12:13 AM
This is a pretty thin argument. The only people that think Kubiak is a "straight draw" are you and McNair. Kubiak is a deuce seven off-suit. Fold 'em.

No, TK said he wanted to see how the season played out and I believe he said that anything less than 10-6 would = fail by Kubes and co.

NitroGSXR
12-19-2010, 12:27 AM
No, TK said he wanted to see how the season played out and I believe he said that anything less than 10-6 would = fail by Kubes and co.

I can confirm but you're leaving out the tiny backdoor that he left for himself. He said something about extenuating circumstances or some sort of snake oil liniment claim.

Actually, I have enjoyed TK's posts. I may not ultimately agree but they made me think about some stuff.

steelbtexan
12-19-2010, 12:33 AM
I can confirm but you're leaving out the tiny backdoor that he left for himself. He said something about extenuating circumstances or some sort of snake oil liniment claim.

Actually, I have enjoyed TK's posts. I may not ultimately agree but they made me think about some stuff.

I enjoy them too.

They make me think how does TK feel after a Hail Mary or an int for a game winning TD.

I've gotta give it to him he keeps bringing the sunshine every week.

NitroGSXR
12-19-2010, 12:51 AM
I enjoy them too.

They make me think how does TK feel after a Hail Mary or an int for a game winning TD.

I've gotta give it to him he keeps bringing the sunshine every week.

He probably felt the exact same sucker punch to the gut that every Texans fan recieved. Rough times being a Texans fan these past couple years. The viscosity of the Texans quicksand is unpredictable but we all get sucked in just the same.

Finnegan the Titans tomorrow.

Mr. White
12-19-2010, 02:02 AM

I've seen this too, even though no one really wants to admit it. You say something bad about McNair and it's like you broke the Fifth Commandment.

In 31 other NFL markets, the owner gets a short rope with the fans. In those cities, if the fans don't see the owner actively trying to improve the team, they they usually call him a bum.

Some of us are starting to entertain the idea that our guy really is a bum. The thought occurred to us when he came out in support of David Carr at the end of the 2006 season. We let up on him after he cut bait on Carr later that season.

Now, here we go again.

GNTLEWOLF
12-19-2010, 05:08 AM
I've seen this too, even though no one really wants to admit it. You say something bad about McNair and it's like you broke the Fifth Commandment.

In 31 other NFL markets, the owner gets a short rope with the fans. In those cities, if the fans don't see the owner actively trying to improve the team, they they usually call him a bum.

Some of us are starting to entertain the idea that our guy really is a bum. The thought occurred to us when he came out in support of David Carr at the end of the 2006 season. We let up on him after he cut bait on Carr later that season.

Now, here we go again.

What is funny about that is he cut bait on Capers after just 4 years...this is Kubiak's fifth and it looks like he will get a lot more. I really, really,really hate mediocrity, but I hate people who are comforatable with it more.

Maddict5
12-19-2010, 06:24 AM

theyve gotten better in every other year hes been here. the offence has improved overall this year. the run defence has gotten even better. imo the pass rush has improved slightly. its just the secondary has been a huge liability- its not like we're playing veteran guys who have inexplicably regressed. the young guys have struggled... but they're coming on too. glover is starting to flash more & more. hopefully, kareem will start doing the same a bit more and whoever we bring in should help too.

They have been losing games the exact same ways for the past four seasons. It's time for a new coach.

really? last sec hail mary? pick 6 in OT? letting a team drive the field in 40 secs for a last sec td? aj dropping a ball that bounces off his knee for an int as we're driving for the go ahead td?

i dont remember any of those happening before. those are all either pretty flukey singular plays or plays that wouldnt usually be made except for the weaknesses in our secondary

I'll take my chances with Coach X. I know Coach K will fail.

There's not a doubt in my mind that the right staff would have won the AFC South this season with the talent on hand. Are the Texans perfect? Hardly. No team is. But, a good staff could have coached up this secondary to an adequate level. Of course, the right staff would have known better than to go into a season with such an inexperience secondary.

i see alot of the 'fire kubiak' bandwagon act like they KNOW whats going to happen if we keep kubiak (failure) or hire some other coach (success) and are trying to make this decision look as black & white as possible. its not. but theres no point in trying to convince people who have their minds made up on something. so im just going to sit back and see what kubiak and co do next yr and if they get 'blind luck' :rolleyes: (nice pre-emptive strike there to cover your bases for fear of success disaacks) im going to enjoy it hugely

i know somebody will say its been 5 yrs and theres a certain amount of truth to that but realistically kubiak has had a team capable of challenging for the playoffs for the last 2 years. before that either the D hadnt enough talent, schaub was missing 8 games a season and/or the run game wasnt good enough either. kubiak fixed the problems that caused us to miss the playoffs last yr. im willing to give him one last chance to fix this yrs problems. if theres new problems (i dont think there will be btw) next yr then ya it will be time to start looking at somebody else

thunderkyss
12-19-2010, 06:38 AM

This is true.

I remember the first 3 or 4 years I watched Brett Favre. My brother was an instant fan, I thought the guy was lucky. However, I came to realize after 3 or 4 years, you can't really call it luck.

Same here. I don't know what you want to call it. It may rhyme with luck..... but it's not something that just happens.

It's taken us 5 years to rack up 2 wins against the Colts. We lost to every other "good" team on our schedule this year. I didn't expect to win them all, or even "most" of them. But I did expect to win one or two (not counting the Colts).

This team is not where it should be.

thunderkyss
12-19-2010, 06:49 AM

At the end of last season, I felt this team was to the point that any coach could come here & have instant success. I felt Gary did a great job (at least very good) of building this team. I figured why not let GK reap the rewards of his work (even though I thought he was slow rolling it).

I was wrong. I still think the team is good enough to win. I think we have the talent & the play-makers on both sides of the ball to be better than 5-8 at this point. But we have been hand-cuffing our play-makers all year long, for fear of getting burnt..... & we get burnt anyway.

& I may be wrong, but the Patriots & the Ravens started with just as little experience in the secondary as we did, & they seem to be doing alright.

Grams
12-19-2010, 07:07 AM
At the end of last season, I felt this team was to the point that any coach could come here & have instant success. I felt Gary did a great job (at least very good) of building this team. I figured why not let GK reap the rewards of his work (even though I thought he was slow rolling it).

I was wrong. I still think the team is good enough to win. I think we have the talent & the play-makers on both sides of the ball to be better than 5-8 at this point. But we have been hand-cuffing our play-makers all year long, for fear of getting burnt..... & we get burnt anyway.

& I may be wrong, but the Patriots & the Ravens started with just as little experience in the secondary as we did, & they seem to be doing alright.

But they have coaches that know what they are doing and know how to teach their young guys. They know what to do to avoid a pre-annual 4+ game losing steak.

Like you I thought GK would have the Texans make the step forward and take our division this year, especially with the year the Colts were having.

But he totally lost me after the second Colts game. Not having a team ready and able to crush the Colts with 2 weeks to prepare was inexcuseable.

We lost several close games in heartbreaking fashion last season and all we have done this year is repeat that trend in even more heartbreaking ways.

thunderkyss
12-19-2010, 07:13 AM

Honestly, If I had as many people telling me how to do my job with the attitude many on this board has displayed..... my actions would come more out of spite than anything.

there is a whole list of things that can be done, that should make this a better team, a winning team. Bob may feel some culpability in the state of the franchise right now.

Maybe he told Kubiak that Williams was out of the question (same thing Benson told Peyton, it was Peyton who paid Williams the difference out of his pocket). Maybe it's McNair who told Kubiak to hold on to Richard Smith for the 2008 season. Maybe (& this is a wild one) Kubiak fully disclosed the pros & cons of going young on defense & McNair went in with both eyes open. Maybe it makes sense to McNair that we went 9-7 against a slightly less difficult schedule on a freakishly healthy year, then go 8-8 on a more difficult schedule with injuries to the QB of your defense & major(minor) injuries to our Defense line rotation & had to build it during the season with street free agents (again).

I'm not making excuses for Kubiak. Trust me, I don't care what happens to him after this season. If he's still the coach of the Houston Texans, I'll be disappointed. But I'm not going to act like a spoiled brat if that's the case.

I don't think McNair is a god. Just like you, just like me, he's just a man, who makes decisions, some good, some bad. Some work out the way we want them to, some don't. Nobody cares about 90% of the decisions you make...... we have no clue why Bob makes 90% of the decisions he makes.

But we're going to "demand" new blood because our football team is 8-8?

You've got homeless people all over Houston, kids going to sleep hungry, murder, theft, gay people....... We're still sending soldiers to Afghanistan....

But we're going to "demand" new blood.

thunderkyss
12-19-2010, 07:27 AM

The only backdoor I left myself, is if we somehow get to the play-offs at 8-8 & make it to the AFC Championship game. Kubiak will garner my support.

Don't look like that's going to happen.

Heck, I said if we're 10-5 Jan-1 & lose to the Jags Jan-2 to go 10-6, I'll be on the Fire Kubiak bandwagon.

I think this has been the best MB I've ever been on as far as football talk goes.

Lucky
12-19-2010, 09:30 AM
You've got homeless people all over Houston, kids going to sleep hungry, murder, theft, gay people....... We're still sending soldiers to Afghanistan....

That's more than a little over the top, don't you think? Let's keep this about football and not introduce the world's problems into the Bullpen. This is where many try to escape such things.

houstonspartan
12-19-2010, 10:45 AM
Honestly, If I had as many people telling me how to do my job with the attitude many on this board has displayed..... my actions would come more out of spite than anything.

there is a whole list of things that can be done, that should make this a better team, a winning team. Bob may feel some culpability in the state of the franchise right now.

Maybe he told Kubiak that Williams was out of the question (same thing Benson told Peyton, it was Peyton who paid Williams the difference out of his pocket). Maybe it's McNair who told Kubiak to hold on to Richard Smith for the 2008 season. Maybe (& this is a wild one) Kubiak fully disclosed the pros & cons of going young on defense & McNair went in with both eyes open. Maybe it makes sense to McNair that we went 9-7 against a slightly less difficult schedule on a freakishly healthy year, then go 8-8 on a more difficult schedule with injuries to the QB of your defense & major(minor) injuries to our Defense line rotation & had to build it during the season with street free agents (again).

I'm not making excuses for Kubiak. Trust me, I don't care what happens to him after this season. If he's still the coach of the Houston Texans, I'll be disappointed. But I'm not going to act like a spoiled brat if that's the case.

I don't think McNair is a god. Just like you, just like me, he's just a man, who makes decisions, some good, some bad. Some work out the way we want them to, some don't. Nobody cares about 90% of the decisions you make...... we have no clue why Bob makes 90% of the decisions he makes.

But we're going to "demand" new blood because our football team is 8-8?

Grow up.

Seriously? I can't hope for my team to get better because we have all of these world ills?

TK, you have said some crazy stuff before, but this is the ultimate. LOL!

I have no words.

thunderkyss
12-19-2010, 10:52 AM
That's more than a little over the top, don't you think? Let's keep this about football and not introduce the world's problems into the Bullpen. This is where many try to escape such things.

Oh, I see. I'm the one who "went to far." I'm over-reacting.

We're on page 16 of a thread where people are voicing their disgust about a speech a man made to a team with nothing to play for.... motivational perhaps.

But I've gone too far?

Gotcha.

:kitten:

thunderkyss
12-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Seriously? I can't hope for my team to get better because we have all of these world ills?

TK, you have said some crazy stuff before, but this is the ultimate. LOL!

I have no words.

Or maybe you misunderstood what I said.

I'm hoping for a better team.

I just think some people have gone too far, expressing their ire for this team, it's coaches, & it's owner.

NitroGSXR
12-19-2010, 10:58 AM
The only backdoor I left myself, is if we somehow get to the play-offs at 8-8 & make it to the AFC Championship game. Kubiak will garner my support.

Don't look like that's going to happen.

Heck, I said if we're 10-5 Jan-1 & lose to the Jags Jan-2 to go 10-6, I'll be on the Fire Kubiak bandwagon.

I think this has been the best MB I've ever been on as far as football talk goes.

I said it was a tiny backdoor!

:fans:

steelbtexan
12-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Or maybe you misunderstood what I said.

I'm hoping for a better team.

I just think some people have gone too far, expressing their ire for this team, it's coaches, & it's owner.

The fans need to be loud in their oppsition of Sithiak. IMHO

How far is too far? TK

Bigbots_02
12-19-2010, 11:01 AM
A POST FROM NFL.COM
HOUSTON -- Bob McNair was so moved by all the positive comments he heard about his Texans from fellow owners at a league meeting this week that he wanted to pass on the encouraging words to his struggling players.

As another disappointing season winds down in Houston with little hope of that elusive first playoff berth, McNair gave his players a pep talk to help them move on from their latest heartbreaking loss and finish the season strong.

McNair said many of the owners were impressed with the Texans rallying from a 15-point, fourth-quarter deficit Monday night against the Baltimore Ravens to force overtime before losing. He said he'd never heard other owners talk about his team in such a positive way and was "shocked" and "amazed" by the comments.

"(They talked) about the level of respect that they have for our team and how close they think we are to not just being a good team, but an outstanding team," McNair said. "It was nice to hear your peer group say that about you. I just wanted the team to know how close not only we think they are, but how close our competitors think they are to being an outstanding team."

The Texans (5-8) play Sunday at Tennessee (5-8) and can't match last year's 9-7 record even if they win out. If AFC South rival Jacksonville wins any of its last three games, Houston will be eliminated from playoff contention for the ninth consecutive year.

Pro Bowl wide receiver Andre Johnson said it was meaningful for McNair to address the players as a group because he rarely does it.

"I think that was big of him to come and just tell us to stay positive, because I'm pretty sure it's been just as frustrating for him as it has been for all of us," Johnson said.

McNair believes the response he received from other owners is affirmation his team is on the right track.

That doesn't mean he plans to leave everything as it is for next season; there has been much speculation about the future of coach Gary Kubiak.

"We'll review everything at the end of the year," McNair said. "And will we make some changes? I'm sure we will make some changes. We'll see some things that need to be improved. But we're very close to having the kind of team I think we can all be proud of."

McNair conceded this season has been difficult for him.

"It's a killer," he said. "I hurt more than anybody. To see that we're so close to being where we want to be and to be denied is just very disheartening. But you know, it's like life. Does everything work out right in your life? I doubt it. You don't quit, do you? No. You just suck it up and go on."

Johnson can probably relate to McNair's disappointment better than anyone on the team after joining the Texans in their second year. Johnson's only goal in each of the last few years has been reaching the playoffs.

"I definitely feel his pain," Johnson said. "I've seen all the ups and downs, and it's been rough. It's been very frustrating, and I'm pretty sure he never thought it would take this long for the organization to get to where it wants to be."

BullNation4Life
12-19-2010, 11:04 AM
A POST FROM NFL.COM
HOUSTON -- Bob McNair was so moved by all the positive comments he heard about his Texans from fellow owners at a league meeting this week that he wanted to pass on the encouraging words to his struggling players.

As another disappointing season winds down in Houston with little hope of that elusive first playoff berth, McNair gave his players a pep talk to help them move on from their latest heartbreaking loss and finish the season strong.

McNair said many of the owners were impressed with the Texans rallying from a 15-point, fourth-quarter deficit Monday night against the Baltimore Ravens to force overtime before losing. He said he'd never heard other owners talk about his team in such a positive way and was "shocked" and "amazed" by the comments.

"(They talked) about the level of respect that they have for our team and how close they think we are to not just being a good team, but an outstanding team," McNair said. "It was nice to hear your peer group say that about you. I just wanted the team to know how close not only we think they are, but how close our competitors think they are to being an outstanding team."

The Texans (5-8) play Sunday at Tennessee (5-8) and can't match last year's 9-7 record even if they win out. If AFC South rival Jacksonville wins any of its last three games, Houston will be eliminated from playoff contention for the ninth consecutive year.

Pro Bowl wide receiver Andre Johnson said it was meaningful for McNair to address the players as a group because he rarely does it.

"I think that was big of him to come and just tell us to stay positive, because I'm pretty sure it's been just as frustrating for him as it has been for all of us," Johnson said.

McNair believes the response he received from other owners is affirmation his team is on the right track.

That doesn't mean he plans to leave everything as it is for next season; there has been much speculation about the future of coach Gary Kubiak.

"We'll review everything at the end of the year," McNair said. "And will we make some changes? I'm sure we will make some changes. We'll see some things that need to be improved. But we're very close to having the kind of team I think we can all be proud of."

McNair conceded this season has been difficult for him.

"It's a killer," he said. "I hurt more than anybody. To see that we're so close to being where we want to be and to be denied is just very disheartening. But you know, it's like life. Does everything work out right in your life? I doubt it. You don't quit, do you? No. You just suck it up and go on."

Johnson can probably relate to McNair's disappointment better than anyone on the team after joining the Texans in their second year. Johnson's only goal in each of the last few years has been reaching the playoffs.

"I definitely feel his pain," Johnson said. "I've seen all the ups and downs, and it's been rough. It's been very frustrating, and I'm pretty sure he never thought it would take this long for the organization to get to where it wants to be."

of course the competition is pleased, as long as McNair is doing what he is doing, producing nothing of a football team, the Texans are not a threat. that is the one game the owners can circle every year for a win and that has to stop.

Lucky
12-19-2010, 11:34 AM
A POST FROM NFL.COM
This is the genesis of the probably not firing Kubiak thread.

gary
12-19-2010, 12:05 PM
TK, and Wagonhead are just two of kind. Are we still happy that Bob has brought football back to Houston. Yay, golf clap. Not winning, what is the point?

thunderkyss
12-19-2010, 12:07 PM
A POST FROM NFL.COM

A pep talk.

GuerillaBlack
12-19-2010, 12:38 PM
really? last sec hail mary? pick 6 in OT? letting a team drive the field in 40 secs for a last sec td? aj dropping a ball that bounces off his knee for an int as we're driving for the go ahead td?

i dont remember any of those happening before. those are all either pretty flukey singular plays or plays that wouldnt usually be made except for the weaknesses in our secondary

LOL, are you being serious? I'm talking about this team always going down by at least two or three touchdowns, and then try to fight themselves back into games. Or, they have a lead, and let teams back in it (Chargers game this year). Those plays you named are a result of the Texans doing what they usually do. So yes, they HAVE been losing games the exact same way. Always starting off slow and not having enough time to make a complete comeback (not some BS pride comeback like the Ravens game...it's still an L). The team always starts games slow, unprepared, lackadaisical, and only plays up to their true talent when they are down by 14+ points. We need a coach that can get them playing like that from the start, because Kubiak has not done since he's been here.

i know somebody will say its been 5 yrs and theres a certain amount of truth to that but realistically kubiak has had a team capable of challenging for the playoffs for the last 2 years. before that either the D hadnt enough talent, schaub was missing 8 games a season and/or the run game wasnt good enough either. kubiak fixed the problems that caused us to miss the playoffs last yr. im willing to give him one last chance to fix this yrs problems. if theres new problems (i dont think there will be btw) next yr then ya it will be time to start looking at somebody else

Please no. It's been the SAME for four years now. Team starts of slow and lazy and only plays well when they are down. Kubiak is the ONLY HC who has coached a team for at least four years and not made the playoffs. People act like Houston is the only team with problems. Those other teams have their own problems, too. They aren't making the playoffs with a perfect team. Kubiak is not the only one dealing with issues here. Kubiak can assemble a good team, but time and time again has shown he can't lead them anywhere. People willing to accept another mediocre season from the Kubiak regime next year just simply amaze me. Let another coach come in and fire up this talent. What more proof do you need that Kubiak isn't going to be it?

Every year there is some kind of BS excuse made from Kubiak supporters on why he should be allowed to stay. This year, it's the secondary playing bad. How bad did the secondary play at Indy this year when Kubiak wanted to outsmart the Colts and not run Arian Foster (even though Foster was tearing them up)? Plenty of other examples.