PDA

View Full Version : Cowher "open" to a return to coaching.

MFG16
12-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81cca328/article/exsteelers-coach-cowher-open-to-a-return-to-the-field?module=HP_headlines

Looks like he wants to come back to a team that can win right away, or can be turned around very quickly. Are the stars alinging?

False Start
12-10-2010, 11:53 AM
We can only hope. I would love for him to come to the Texans, but I think the chances are slim.

houstonspartan
12-10-2010, 11:55 AM
I'm tired of people dismissively saying "Cowher wants to go to Carolina. Get over it."

No, he doesn't. I "get" that people have assumed that, for various reasons, including the fact that he lives there. But that doesn't mean squat.

Cowher wants a team that's ready to roll, a team that needs to be tweaked instead of re-built. He wants a team with a QB that's ready, so he can focus on defense.

Out of all the potential openings during the off season, we're the most attracitve. I'm tired of people assuming that Cowher won't come here or that we won't be able to get a top notch coach.

El Tejano
12-10-2010, 11:56 AM
I think we will make a good try but others will just beat us out.

houstonspartan
12-10-2010, 11:57 AM
We can only hope. I would love for him to come to the Texans, but I think the chances are slim.

Why are the chances slim? Why couldn't we get him?

I'm SO tired of the defeatest thinking of this fan base.

Yeesh. Grow a pair, people.

infantrycak
12-10-2010, 11:58 AM
No, he doesn't. I "get" that people have assumed that, for various reasons, including the fact that he lives there. But that doesn't mean squat.

When this discussion came up last year someone spotted that his Carolina house was up for sale. Don't know what happened.

BIG TORO
12-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81cca328/article/exsteelers-coach-cowher-open-to-a-return-to-the-field?module=HP_headlines

Looks like he wants to come back to a team that can win right away, or can be turned around very quickly. Are the stars alinging?

We are that team!

texanhead08
12-10-2010, 12:03 PM
We need to have a head coach opening before we could hire the Chin. It doesn't look like we are going to get our wish based on the owners words the past few weeks.

Second Honeymoon
12-10-2010, 12:05 PM

agreed. all McNair needs to show is that he is done with being so cheap err frugal with the money. if he can show that he is willing to spend the money it takes to fill these glaring holes and he is willing to pay Cowher and his assistants top money, we will be in good spot to secure his coaching services.

what job opening has more promise or possible instant turn-around? that's right. there isn't one.

Denver - No QB. Bad D. Ailing owner. Little talent.
Carolina - No QB. Lots of holes in the roster. Tough division.
Dallas - No QB (Romo is the white Warren Moon...choker extraordinaire) Aging team.
Buffalo - Next.
Minnesota - No QB. Outside shot though because they do have talent.
San Diego - One of the few spots where I would choose them over Houston.
Arizona - No QB. Replacing a friend would be tough for Cowher too.
Cincinnatti - Not as far-fetched as you would think. Steelers division foe though?
Cleveland - Cowher played for the Browns but would he want to be in Steeler's division. (see above)
Houston - QB in place. Talent on both sides of ball. Vacuum of power where Cowher would be the man and savior.

I think Houston is tied with San Diego for most appealling jobs this offseason (and that is if Norv and/or Kubiak are even fired)

Ranger Tom
12-10-2010, 12:06 PM

I assume people are saying that because other teams have openings and we don't...yet.

If we ever do find ourselves with a head coaching vacancy, I think there's enough talent on the current roster to get Mr. Cowher's attention.

Double Barrel
12-10-2010, 12:15 PM

Why does it take balls to believe that McNair will make a decision contrary to the M.O. that he's clearly established the past decade?

Look, I want Kubiak gone like most Texans fans these days. But, I'm also pragmatic about our owner's history of über-loyalty toward mediocre employees with nice personalities.

The simple fact is that believing McNair will both fire Kubiak soon and hire a very pricey HC like Cowher is beyond blind faith and more in the area of delusional optimism. I don't mind if people partake in this particular mental exercise, but I'm not going to call anyone out for buying or not buying into it.

I'm not saying that it won't or can't happen, but rather having balls has nothing to do with believing that it will, in fact, happen. We have been conditioned as Texans fans to give up false hopes, to expect mediocrity to be rewarded by the owner, and accept that mediocre results is always given an extra free pass beyond it's worn out welcome.

My only real hope is that my hunches are proven wrong, wrong, wrong about McNair's intentions with Kubiak. I still think he'll be here in 2011 with a newly hired coach named Wade on his staff.

Blake
12-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Top spots for Cowher to land.

Dallas
Carolina
NY Giants

HOU-TEX
12-10-2010, 12:21 PM
agreed. all McNair needs to show is that he is done with being so cheap err frugal with the money. if he can show that he is willing to spend the money it takes to fill these glaring holes and he is willing to pay Cowher and his assistants top money, we will be in good spot to secure his coaching services.

what job opening has more promise or possible instant turn-around? that's right. there isn't one.

Dallas - No QB (Romo is the white Warren Moon...choker extraordinaire) Aging team.
Buffalo - Next.
Cincinnatti - Not as far-fetched as you would think. Steelers division foe though?
Cleveland - Cowher played for the Browns but would he want to be in Steeler's division. (see above)
Houston - QB in place. Talent on both sides of ball. Vacuum of power where Cowher would be the man and savior.

I think Houston is tied with San Diego for most appealling jobs this offseason (and that is if Norv and/or Kubiak are even fired)

I don't think San Diego would give Cowher the amount of power he'd want with AJ Smith being there.

houstonspartan
12-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Why does it take balls to believe that McNair will make a decision contrary to the M.O. that he's clearly established the past decade?

Look, I want Kubiak gone like most Texans fans these days. But, I'm also pragmatic about our owner's history of über-loyalty toward mediocre employees with nice personalities.

The simple fact is that believing McNair will both fire Kubiak soon and hire a very pricey HC like Cowher is beyond blind faith and more in the area of delusional optimism. I don't mind if people partake in this particular mental exercise, but I'm not going to call anyone out for buying or not buying into it.

I'm not saying that it won't or can't happen, but rather having balls has nothing to do with believing that it will, in fact, happen. We have been conditioned as Texans fans to give up false hopes, to expect mediocrity to be rewarded by the owner, and accept that mediocre results is always given an extra free pass beyond it's worn out welcome.

My only real hope is that my hunches are proven wrong, wrong, wrong about McNair's intentions with Kubiak. I still think he'll be here in 2011 with a newly hired coach named Wade on his staff.

Bob McNair has one of the most profitable sports franchises on the planet earth, and he's staring at an economy that has stalled. If he wants to keep his profitable franchise humming along, he'd better MOVE HIS ASS. He is providing a service. His customers are not happy. It's that simple.

houstonspartan
12-10-2010, 12:48 PM

Dallas
Carolina
NY Giants

Accordoing to whom?

Double Barrel
12-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Bob McNair has one of the most profitable sports franchises on the planet earth, and he's staring at an economy that has stalled. If he wants to keep his profitable franchise humming along, he'd better MOVE HIS ASS. He is providing a service. His customers are not happy. It's that simple.

You and I both understand this and desire the same things.

However, the difference between us is that you think it can/will happen. :fingergun:

ChampionTexan
12-10-2010, 01:00 PM

Dallas
Carolina
NY Giants

Right now, Dallas is one Roy Williams fumble from being 4-0 under Jason Garrett, the Giants are tied for first place, and there's lots of skepticism about whether Jerry Richardson would pay Cowher what he requires.

When you look at the teams that would throw so much money at Cowher that he almost couldn't turn it down, you've basically got the Cowboys and the Redskins. I already pointed out why the Cowboys may not even choose to enter the competition, and Snyder's already got Shanahan.

I honestly don't think there's a "favorite" for Cowher as long as there are so many unknowns about who's gonna get fired, and who might survive solely due to the potential lockout (this category would include Kubiak), but if you put together a list of places Cowher could realistically be coaching next year, there's little doubt in my mind that Houston's on that list.

CloakNNNdagger
12-10-2010, 01:01 PM
When this discussion came up last year someone spotted that his Carolina house was up for sale. Don't know what happened.

Could it be that his wife was getting more ill at that time. Now that his wife has died, he may have much less ties to "staying at home."

Hookem Horns
12-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Cowher has said he wants to go to a place where he can win immediately. He has also been rumored to really wants the Giants HC job. Unless the Giants fold these next 4 weeks I can't see them firing Coughlin. IF they do however I would bet the house Cowher would be the Giants next coach.

Since that is unlikely the Texans would appear to meet his criteria. However whether he comes here or not will depend on McNair. Would he pay him the money that it would take to get him here? Will he continue to be "Mr. Nice Guy" and hang on to Kubiak too long?

OzzO
12-10-2010, 01:40 PM
...Cowher amassed a 161-99-1 record in 15 seasons with the Steelers from 1992-2006. He led Pittsburgh to six conference championship games and two Super Bowls...

Son... of.. a... biscuit.

It's the perfect storm - Denver job is opening up, Elway may go back to the front office, Houston job (may) be opening up.....

do it.

Mr teX
12-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Cowher's the only guy i'd let go of kubiak for. Everyone else is a major gamble.

Thorn
12-10-2010, 01:46 PM
I'd love to see Cowher here, but odds are we have Kubiak back next year. That's just horrible for a lot of us to bear, but it's seems more likely than not given the history of things around here.

Blake
12-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Accordoing to whom?

www.whatsupermariosayz.com

Texan_Bill
12-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Could it be that his wife was getting more ill at that time. Now that his wife has died, he may have much less ties to "staying at home."

Well except for that his youngest daughter goes to school at Elon University in NC.

Blake
12-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Well except for that his youngest daughter goes to school at Elon University in NC.

Added to that people dont think he would like to have Andrew Luck as his QB?

False Start
12-10-2010, 02:01 PM

I have a pair man, and I'm far from a "defeatest."

I say that because of the way this club has handled things so far, when it comes to making a splash. I will give them credit for the Schaub trade, but besides that, they haven't given me any reason to think that they will make a big move like hiring Cowher. JMO

IDEXAN
12-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Frankly I don't see Cowher taking any kind of employment position in the Sun Belt, be it Texas or FLA or someplace else in the SB area. It's not his culture, it's not his climate, it's not his history.

gtexan02
12-10-2010, 02:11 PM

What are you tlaking about?

The Texans are one of the most profitable franchises despite their record.

Firing Kubiak + hiring Cowher would be expensive.

Much cheaper to keep Kubiak for another year, build up hype, then fire him if that doesnt work out and hire another inexpensive coordinator.

Winning more games is not going to boost McNairs payroll that much. He's already banking

houstonspartan
12-10-2010, 02:21 PM
What are you tlaking about?

The Texans are one of the most profitable franchises despite their record.

Firing Kubiak + hiring Cowher would be expensive.

Much cheaper to keep Kubiak for another year, build up hype, then fire him if that doesnt work out and hire another inexpensive coordinator.

Winning more games is not going to boost McNairs payroll that much. He's already banking

Yes, he's banking so much that firing Kubiak and hiring Cowher wouldn't be that much of a stretch for him. He can afford it.

Winning more games WILL boost McNair's payroll. I'm a season ticket holder. They raised ticket prices this year. Ok, fine. But you'd better believe if they try and raise ticket prices again, and keep Kubiak, there will be blood in the streets.

McNair cannot, repeat, CANNOT afford to let his billion dollar franchise falter along, year after year. Eventually, it will catch up to him. In this economy, it's very dangerous to say, "Oh, the fans will be there. We'll just ignore them and they'll keep paying us."

Nope. Not anymore, partner.

houstonspartan
12-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Cowher's the only guy i'd let go of kubiak for. Everyone else is a major gamble.

I disagree with this somewhat.

Cowher himself is an actual gamble. Everyone wants him, but, how do we know he still has that same magic? We don't. It's a gamble.

Gamble or not, let's at least TAKE A FREAKING GAMBLE and hire SOMEONE. Sticking with Kubiak just because we think no one else is out there is lame.

False Start
12-10-2010, 02:32 PM
I disagree with this somewhat.

Cowher himself is an actual gamble. Everyone wants him, but, how do we know he still has that same magic? We don't. It's a gamble.

Gamble or not, let's at least TAKE A FREAKING GAMBLE and hire SOMEONE. Sticking with Kubiak just because we think no one else is out there is lame.

I agree 100%. :cool:

I would LOVE for them to take a gamble, I just have a bad feeling Kubiak will be back next season. :pissed:

Doppelganger
12-10-2010, 02:49 PM

Buffalo - Next.

I wanted to respond so I took these one at a time

Denver - Has a similar frame for what Cowher would like to do. Has a 3-4 in place, solid QB in Orton, good tackles, and would have a solid running game if anyone stayed healthy. Their D is led by sack master Elvis D, have decent corners and reasonable LBs. Team took giant steps back but with Cowher and some good additions, they can win their division.

Carolina -Agree with your assessment. They are essentially done. Unless Cowher wants to completely redo the team(which he may) this is not a good situation.

Dallas - Similar to Denver. They have a solid QB, good running game, and good D. Major obstacle here is Jerry Jones. If Jerry Jones did not own the Cowboys, this would be the most likely scenario.

Buffalo - See Carolina. Pretty much a total redo. If he wants a challenge, this would be the one, though if he wanted it, why didn't he take the job last year when it was purportedly offered?

Minnesota -Unlikely. Frazier is doing well. Also, while they have a great running game, the Defense is a 4-3 and a pretty good one at that. Changing to Cowher means scrapping a pretty good 4-3? Nah. Does not make sense.

San Diego - If there is an opening, this is the spot I can see him taking. Solid running game, a 3-4 D in place, above average QB. Yep. If available, this is where i see him landing.

Arizona - A total rebuilding project. The nice thing: Larry Fitz. The not so nice thing: EVERYTHING else!

Cincinnatti - I don't see it. Cowher loves Pitt and the Rooney family. He is not about to go to a division rival.

Cleveland - See Cincy.

Houston - Of those listed here, Htown is probably tied with Denver in terms of second best option behind SD. A good offense awaits him with an equally abysmal defense. Switching to a 3-4 is not an issue since the D needs to be blown up anyway.

So, in terms of ranking good spots for Cowher:
1. SD
2. Htown/Denver
4. Dallas
5. Arizona/Carolina
7. Minnesota
8. Cincy/Cleveland

ChampionTexan
12-10-2010, 02:54 PM
I agree 100%. :cool:

I would LOVE for them to take a gamble, I just have a bad feeling Kubiak will be back next season. :pissed:

Any new head coach for any team is a gamble - always!. Heck, neither the Cowboys nor the Dolphins won so much as a single playoff game while Tuna was there (and yes, I know he wasn't the HC in Miami).

It's always going to be a gamble - it's just how long you're willing to go before you say the gamble's worth it. Bob McNair appears to be willing to go longer than most. How much longer is the question that will gnaw away at almost all of us - right up until the time it's answered.

houstonspartan
12-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Forgot to mention: Notice how ever year the Texans get more and more prime time games? If we blow it on Monday, don't expect to see many, if any, prime time games next year.

And, prime time games are very important to football teams, in terms of marketing, and just for the sheer ego satisfaction of the owner seeing their team as "the big game" for one night.

JB
12-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Forgot to mention: Notice how ever year the Texans get more and more prime time games? If we blow it on Monday, don't expect to see many, if any, prime time games next year.

And, prime time games are very important to football teams, in terms of marketing, and just for the sheer ego satisfaction of the owner seeing their team as "the big game" for one night.

That's what a lot of people thought after the MNF disaster against tits last year

Runner
12-10-2010, 03:12 PM

Major gamble? On any given Sunday, the odds are that Kubiak will be out-coached. I don't understand why it is perceived as so tough to replace Kubiak. He is average personified. If McNair does a little homework, he should be able to find an above average coach.

GP
12-10-2010, 03:12 PM
I wanted to respond so I took these one at a time

Denver - Has a similar frame for what Cowher would like to do. Has a 3-4 in place, solid QB in Orton, good tackles, and would have a solid running game if anyone stayed healthy. Their D is led by sack master Elvis D, have decent corners and reasonable LBs. Team took giant steps back but with Cowher and some good additions, they can win their division.

Carolina -Agree with your assessment. They are essentially done. Unless Cowher wants to completely redo the team(which he may) this is not a good situation.

Dallas - Similar to Denver. They have a solid QB, good running game, and good D. Major obstacle here is Jerry Jones. If Jerry Jones did not own the Cowboys, this would be the most likely scenario.

Buffalo - See Carolina. Pretty much a total redo. If he wants a challenge, this would be the one, though if he wanted it, why didn't he take the job last year when it was purportedly offered?

Minnesota -Unlikely. Frazier is doing well. Also, while they have a great running game, the Defense is a 4-3 and a pretty good one at that. Changing to Cowher means scrapping a pretty good 4-3? Nah. Does not make sense.

San Diego - If there is an opening, this is the spot I can see him taking. Solid running game, a 3-4 D in place, above average QB. Yep. If available, this is where i see him landing.

Arizona - A total rebuilding project. The nice thing: Larry Fitz. The not so nice thing: EVERYTHING else!

Cincinnatti - I don't see it. Cowher loves Pitt and the Rooney family. He is not about to go to a division rival.

Cleveland - See Cincy.

Houston - Of those listed here, Htown is probably tied with Denver in terms of second best option behind SD. A good offense awaits him with an equally abysmal defense. Switching to a 3-4 is not an issue since the D needs to be blown up anyway.

So, in terms of ranking good spots for Cowher:
1. SD
2. Htown/Denver
4. Dallas
5. Arizona/Carolina
7. Minnesota
8. Cincy/Cleveland

Awesome analysis, bro.

I enjoyed that.

burro
12-10-2010, 03:19 PM
I would like to have Cowher as the head coach (though I have my reservations about the 3-4), but then again - as everyone else has said - Kubiak is probably going to be back next season. I'm not one to get my hopes up, but I think McNair at least takes some control away from Kubiak (ie. no handpicking coordinators). Hopefully Wade Phillips is brought in as DC ASAP.

infantrycak
12-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Frankly I don't see Cowher taking any kind of employment position in the Sun Belt, be it Texas or FLA or someplace else in the SB area. It's not his culture, it's not his climate, it's not his history.

Huh? He has spent plenty of time in North Carolina. And its funny how tons of money will convince people to move even if it isn't their ideal location.

GP
12-10-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm so jaded, I don't think Cowher would impact the Texans. I fear he'd get in here and have an epiphany one day...the sudden realization that the organization is not structured in such a way as to permit total success.

I fear he'd be the Jimmy Johnson we knew from the Dolphins.

Talk about "suck." How bad would it be if he came here and left with shrugged shoulders and outstretched arms?

Come to think more of it, just bring in some other sad sack as HC so I'll never have to potentially figure out that the organization is itself the real problem.

Merry Christmas!!! LOL.

GP
12-10-2010, 03:46 PM

No state income tax does wonders.

TX and FL don't have that tax.

I bet he'd adjust just fine.

Mr teX
12-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Major gamble? On any given Sunday, the odds are that Kubiak will be out-coached. I don't understand why it is perceived has so tough to replace Kubiak. He is average personified. If McNair does a little homework, he should be able to find an above average coach.

I don't think that it's hard i just don't understand why it's percieved that its so easy to find an above average coach & that that move alone is gonna make all the difference. This organization needs change/restructuring from the GM & scouts all the way down. I'm just not sold on the idea that getting rid of kubiak & his staff alone is gonna solve all of our problems.

You look at the best franchises in this league over the last 10 years, they are solid all the way through. The pats, the colts, the steelers.

Hookem Horns
12-10-2010, 03:55 PM
LOL @ any other coach being a gamble. I agree that Kubiak is not a gamble. If you know you are going to lose I guess that is not a gamble, it's a sure thing.

houstonspartan
12-10-2010, 04:25 PM
I don't think that it's hard i just don't understand why it's percieved that its so easy to find an above average coach & that that move alone is gonna make all the difference. This organization needs change/restructuring from the GM & scouts all the way down. I'm just not sold on the idea that getting rid of kubiak & his staff alone is gonna solve all of our problems.

You look at the best franchises in this league over the last 10 years, they are solid all the way through. The pats, the colts, the steelers.

Um, the Pat's, Colt's and Steelers would have fired Kubiak after year three. And we're willing to give him SIX years to make the playoffs? Come on.

Think about that for a second: Five years without even reaching the Wild Card, and we're thinking about giving him a sixth.

Just think about how ridiculus that sounds.

Mr. White
12-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Totally agree with houstonspartan and Second Honeymoon. Cowher would be crazy not to want this job.

I also agree with Double Barrel that the job probably won't want Cowher....or anyone else for that matter.

The man in the owner's box is so predictable that no one can predict when he'll do something unpredictable.

False Start
12-10-2010, 04:50 PM
The man in the owner's box is so predictable that no one can predict when he'll do something unpredictable.

Thats deep man....... :ahhaha:

CloakNNNdagger
12-10-2010, 05:22 PM
I don't remember who said it, but I remember a saying. "The safest way to double your money is to fold it over once and put it in your pocket." This is exactly what has been working for McNair for a decade. And fans in general , whatever your position on this "mess," have given him no real reason to open up the wallet and change his approach..............that is, to mandate and give us a winning team. Just keep feeding the kitty, don't voice your displeasure, don't act on your displeasure, and see how that works for you next year.:kitten:

IDEXAN
12-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Huh? He has spent plenty of time in North Carolina. And its funny how tons of money will convince people to move even if it isn't their ideal location.

I know he's been living in N.Carolina since he left the Steelers and the Carolina Panthers job is the one most rumored as his next stop,
but I don't really think of NCarolina as being part of the SunBelt ?

infantrycak
12-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Um, the Pat's, Colt's and Steelers would have fired Kubiak after year three. And we're willing to give him SIX years to make the playoffs? Come on.

That's just making up stuff. Until Dungy got to the Colts they had a history of keeping coaches longer than you say - Marchibroda (1st time) 5 years, Meyer 5 years, Marchibroda (2nd time) 4 years, Mora 4 years. The Steelers haven't made a decision like that in 40 years so you have no idea what they would do. Prior to Parcells the Pats changed up a bunch and it got them a legacy of less playoff appearances than Belichick alone.

I know he's been living in N.Carolina since he left the Steelers and the Carolina Panthers job is the one most rumored as his next stop, but I don't really think of NCarolina as being part of the SunBelt ?

Sun Belt is ambiguously defined but having been to North Carolina many times and the neighboring states the culture is off the south and more akin to South Carolina and Tennessee than it is to the Rust Belt. He also went to college in North Carolina, married a woman (now passed) from North Carolina and has a daughter in college in North Carolina. Now having said all that I don't think he will go there because the team sucks and he will get better offers.

houstonspartan
12-10-2010, 05:38 PM
That's just making up stuff. Until Dungy got to the Colts they had a history of keeping coaches longer than you say - Marchibroda (1st time) 5 years, Meyer 5 years, Marchibroda (2nd time) 4 years, Mora 4 years. The Steelers haven't made a decision like that in 40 years so you have no idea what they would do. Prior to Parcells the Pats changed up a bunch and it got them a legacy of less playoff appearances than Belichick alone.

Sun Belt is ambiguously defined but having been to North Carolina many times and the neighboring states the culture is off the south and more akin to South Carolina and Tennessee than it is to the Rust Belt. He also went to college in North Carolina, married a woman (now passed) from North Carolina and has a daughter in college in North Carolina. Now having said all that I don't think he will go there because the team sucks and he will get better offers.

My point: Those franchies have currently built extremely high standards. They will not accept five years with no playoff run. Sure, I remember how terrible the Pats used to be. But they are no longer like that. Eventually, they raised their standards. Eventually, someone had to raise the bar for them, and the fans had to start to expect more. That's what we need to do around here.

houstonspartan
12-10-2010, 05:41 PM
I know he's been living in N.Carolina since he left the Steelers and the Carolina Panthers job is the one most rumored as his next stop,
but I don't really think of NCarolina as being part of the SunBelt ?

I lived in North Carolina (beautiful state, btw). It's the Sun Belt. Cowher likes the South.

infantrycak
12-10-2010, 05:49 PM
My point: Those franchies have currently built extremely high standards. They will not accept five years with no playoff run. Sure, I remember how terrible the Pats used to be. But they are no longer like that. Eventually, they raised their standards. Eventually, someone had to raise the bar for them, and the fans had to start to expect more. That's what we need to do around here.

Thing is you don't know if they raised their standards or just got lucky hiring what looked like a good coordinator who failed as a head coach. Hmmm, so basically they hired the coach you say they would fire.

houstonspartan
12-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Thing is you don't know if they raised their standards or just got lucky hiring what looked like a good coordinator who failed as a head coach. Hmmm, so basically they hired the coach you say they would fire.

Give me a break. You know exactly the point I'm trying to make. Sitting around and expecting Kubiak to morph into the next Bellichek is ridiculus.

Rey
12-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Give me a break. You know exactly the point I'm trying to make. Sitting around and expecting Kubiak to morph into the next Bellichek is ridiculus.

I don't know if he can turn into an all time winning coach, but I do think it's possible that Kubiak could become a very, very good coach.

He knows football...

Maybe if he is fired he will be able to reflect and maybe take a different approach to some things if he were to get another HC job.

I don't think people knew Belichick would be Belichick either...

Mr. White
12-10-2010, 06:16 PM
I don't think people knew Belichick would be Belichick either...

He went 11-5 and went to the playoffs his 4th year in Cleveland. The Pats already knew what he was capable of.

Rey
12-10-2010, 06:19 PM
He went 11-5 and went to the playoffs his 4th year in Cleveland. The Pats already knew what he was capable of.

He went 5-11 his final year in Cleveland.

His total record was 36-44

He didn't have a winning record any other year besides the one you mentioned.

Not sure, but are you trying to sell to me that NE knew Belichick would become one of the most winning coaches of all time based on that....One 11-5 record and play-off appearance?

infantrycak
12-10-2010, 06:30 PM

Yup and in that year two of the teams in that division combined for 5 wins.

Mr. White
12-10-2010, 06:32 PM
He went 5-11 his final year in Cleveland.

His total record was 36-44

Not sure, but are you trying to sell to me that NE knew Belichick would become one of the most winning coaches of all time based on that....One 11-5 record and play-off appearance?

No, just saying he had a body of work that showed he was ready for another shot at HC.

I see that last 5-11 year as an anomaly. That was the same year that Art Modell announced the move to Baltimore.

Rey
12-10-2010, 06:40 PM
No, just saying he had a body of work that showed he was ready for another shot at HC.

I see that last 5-11 year as an anomaly. That was the same year that Art Modell announced the move to Baltimore.

Besides that 11-5 year his highest win total was 7.

That 5-11 year was just the bottom part of his normal range.

If anything, 11-5 should have been viewed as the anomaly. He never even had another non-losing season...

Runner
12-10-2010, 06:50 PM

Agreed. Smith needs to go when Kubiak does.

Mr. White
12-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Besides that 11-5 year his highest win total was 7.

That 5-11 year was just the bottom part of his normal range.

If anything, 11-5 should have been viewed as the anomaly. He never even had another non-losing season...

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then. No one thought that Belichick would be the guru he is today. He had enough success to prove himself worth another shot, though. He made progress every year until the owner torpedoed the team.

I guess it's possible that Kubiak could be another Belichick someday, but it's tough to see it now. The only position that Kubiak has success (meaning playoff appearances) is as an assistant.

Jackie Chiles
12-10-2010, 07:11 PM

It was an anomaly. Pretty good read revolving around Belichick: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=fleming/101209&sportCat=nfl

Fred
12-10-2010, 11:51 PM
...Dallas - Similar to Denver. They have a solid QB, good running game, and good D. Major obstacle here is Jerry Jones. If Jerry Jones did not own the Cowboys, this would be the most likely scenario.

??? I'm not all that impressed with Jon Kitna or Stephen McGee.

Lucky
12-11-2010, 02:13 AM
Cowher available is the opportunity of a lifetime. There's no question that he has the acumen and the personality to turn this franchise around. It's laughable to suggest that Cowher is a gamble.

Carpe diem, Bob. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/editor/separator.gif

CloakNNNdagger
12-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Cowher available is the opportunity of a lifetime. There's no question that he has the acumen and the personality to turn this franchise around. It's laughable to suggest that Cowher is a gamble.

Carpe diem, Bob. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/editor/separator.gif

http://www.dreamstime.com/loaded-dice-thumb3784360.jpg

CloakNNNdagger
12-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Cowher could be thinking his window is closing (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/11/cowher-could-be-thinking-his-window-is-closing/)

For the last four years, former Steelers coach Bill Cowher has been coy about his plans to return to the sidelines. His weekly presence on CBS at The NFL Today desk has helped him stay atop the “A” list, fueling the annual speculation linking him to one or more vacancies.

This year, however, his name hasn’t been mentioned as frequently. As we see it, Cowher has been leapfrogged by Jon Gruden, who has assumed a higher profile via Monday Night Football, and who has maximized his buzz via fabricated interest in jobs like the University of Miami. Also, the fact that the hiring process is trending away from paying big money to coaches and/or giving them full power over the organization necessarily has limited the number of places that Cowher would regard as the right fit. (For example, the Broncos have made clear their unwillingness to give a head coach as much control as Mike Shanahan and Josh McDaniels enjoyed, which basically means that Cowher would ever only be working in Denver as the coach of the visiting team.)

Thus, Cowher’s uncharacteristic decision to declare his willingness to listen to “opportunities” in response to a question on an online chat is being regarded in some league circles as the first step in a calculated effort to make it known to teams that are planning to fill vacancies that he’s ready to return to the NFL. One source speculates that, after four years of receiving calls from multiple teams looking for coaches, Cowher possibly has received none yet this year.

The fact that he’s widely believed to be waiting for the Giants job also could be keeping teams from inquiring as to his interest and/or availability. Then there’s the labor situation, which would make it harder for any external hire to hit the ground running, if much or all of the offseason program disappears due to a lockout.

Though Cowher has yet to don a sandwich board in search of a new job, he has now made it known that he is definitely in play for 2011. Even if the right fit from a money and power standpoint doesn’t emerge in January, his chances of getting the right job in 2012 hinge to a certain extent on his ability to remain at the top of the list of coveted candidates.

Dutchrudder
12-11-2010, 02:12 PM
I really really really hope Cowher does not end up in Tennessee or Jacksonville. Even if he isn't the coach of the Texans in 2011, I would prefer not to make our division any harder than it is.

TexCanada
12-11-2010, 02:39 PM
I really really really hope Cowher does not end up in Tennessee or Jacksonville. Even if he isn't the coach of the Texans in 2011, I would prefer not to make our division any harder than it is.

I can't imagine either of those 2 jobs having very much appeal for Cowher.

Dutchrudder
12-11-2010, 02:48 PM
I can't imagine either of those 2 jobs having very much appeal for Cowher.

Supposedly, he almost went to Buffalo last year, so I think his standards are pretty low...

False Start
12-11-2010, 03:00 PM

:headhurts:

That would really suck, as you said he almost went to the Bills last year, so it wouldn't surprise me if he were to sign with a team like them (Tits & Jags).

GP
12-11-2010, 03:14 PM
If Cowher went to a divisional rival, and beat us over the head with his chin for the next several years...then I would give up. Surrender.

I'd stop watching Texans football and just call it a day.

I seriously would. Because that, to me, would be th eultimate embarrassment to us. For a divisional rival to scoop up a great coach and just put us on full blast every year. Awesome. :slitwrist:

burro
12-11-2010, 06:34 PM

As much as it might suck, if Cowher went to Jacksonville that would give us an opportunity to scoop up Del Rio, who I would take in a heart beat.

JB
12-11-2010, 06:35 PM
As much as it might suck, if Cowher went to Jacksonville that would give us an opportunity to scoop up Del Rio, who I would take in a heart beat.

You've got to be kidding me.

Rey
12-11-2010, 07:14 PM
I'd take Del Rio over what we have now.

JB
12-11-2010, 07:19 PM
I'd take Del Rio over what we have now.

Not me. I don't think we would be gaining anything to speak of. If we are going to change coaches, I want a winner here.

Rey
12-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Not me. I don't think we would be gaining anything to speak of. If we are going to change coaches, I want a winner here.

Well he's had a winning record 4 out of the 7 previous seasons he's been there...

Most likely after this year it will be 5 out of eight. One of his non-winning seasons was 8-8.

He has also at least been to the divisional round of the play-offs.

I think the Jags have less talent than us, but it seems that they are doing more with their talent. Over the years I don't think that they have been head and shoulders better than us, but I think Del-Rio has done a better job than both of the staff's we've had.

At this point I think Del Rio is a better coach than Kubiak...So yeah, I'd take him and his staff over this current regime...JMO

JB
12-11-2010, 07:38 PM
I just don't like him.

NitroGSXR
12-11-2010, 07:55 PM
I just don't like him.

Me neither but ask yourself... David Garrard? Who the bleep is David Garrard... Exactly. He wins with subpar talent.

JB
12-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Me neither but ask yourself... David Garrard? Who the bleep is David Garrard... Exactly. He wins with subpar talent.

But I don't like him.

NitroGSXR
12-11-2010, 07:59 PM
But I don't like him.

But everybody likes Kubiak. I don't think we're supposed to like our football coaches very much. Respect yes but like? No.

JB
12-11-2010, 08:07 PM
But everybody likes Kubiak. I don't think we're supposed to like our football coaches very much. Respect yes but like? No.

Yeah, but I'm hard headed. I don't like him.

houstonspartan
12-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Jack DelRio is an outstanding coach.

That is all.

NitroGSXR
12-11-2010, 11:52 PM
Jack DelRio is an outstanding coach.

That is all.

Yup. I still want to sucker punch him though...

:aggressive:

infantrycak
12-12-2010, 09:38 AM
OK people have gone bat shit crazy if Jack Del Rio is being considered.

JB
12-12-2010, 09:42 AM

Not really surprising is it?

NitroGSXR
12-12-2010, 09:46 AM

I'm really not considering Jack Del Rio for the Texans. Just saying he's not a half bad coach. Pretty durn good actually. Do I want him on the Texans? No. Same with Fisher.

houstonspartan
12-12-2010, 10:34 AM

I'm not necessarily saying I want him in Houston.

I am saying, however, that he is an outstanding coach. A much better one than Gary Kubaik.

Rey
12-12-2010, 11:48 AM

I didn't see where anyone said he's there first choice and we should pursue him.

All I said was that I think he's done a better job than Kubiak has.

GP
12-12-2010, 12:10 PM
I didn't see where anyone said he's there first choice and we should pursue him.

All I said was that I think he's done a better job than Kubiak has.

Exactly. Just ignore it, rey.

And I agree with you. He brings a swagger and an attitude to that team. I dislike the guy, a lot, but he has a street thug mentality and his team grinds out games and they definitely know how to beat us with that mindset.

The one exception was the game at Reliant when Slaton ran all over his defense and caused his defense to just flat-out give up at the end of the game. That's the lone game, IIRC, where Jax looked non-Del Rio-like.

Lucky
12-12-2010, 12:42 PM
OK people have gone bat shit crazy....
That's what 9 years without a playoff appearance can do to a fanbase. JDR envy.

ChampionTexan
12-12-2010, 12:55 PM
That's what 9 years without a playoff appearance can do to a fanbase. JDR envy.

Yep - nothing says "I refuse to settle for mediocrity" like praising a coach with a 64-60 regular season record.

houstonspartan
12-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Yep - nothing says "I refuse to settle for mediocrity" like praising a coach with a 64-60 regular season record.

Um, that coach has to deal with very little talent, a near-empty stadium, a cheap owner, and yet, every single year, sneaks up on teams and is always in the playoff hunt.

That is called coaching, my friend.

JB
12-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Um, that coach has to deal with very little talent, a near-empty stadium, a cheap owner, and yet, every single year, sneaks up on teams and is always in the playoff hunt.

Haven't they been drafting near the top 10 the last 3 or 4 years?

houstonspartan
12-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Haven't they been drafting near the top 10 the last 3 or 4 years?

Haven't we spent hundreds of millions on a defensive line that is the worst in the history of the National Football League?

What's your point?

DelRio is a much, much better coach than Kubiak. Yes, his teams have sputtered towards the end of the season lately, but they're always grinding it out, making an effort, playing football. I respect that.

ChampionTexan
12-12-2010, 01:20 PM

Them's Sunshine club words my friend - remember, it's all about results - nothing else.

Different circumstances, different excuses, but Sunshine club is Sunshine club.

JB
12-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Haven't we spent hundreds of millions on a defensive line that is the worst in the history of the National Football League?

What's your point?

DelRio is a much, much better coach than Kubiak. Yes, his teams have sputtered towards the end of the season lately, but they're always grinding it out, making an effort, playing football. I respect that.

The point is I was questioning your statement that they were always in the playoff hunt. Are you now changing that?

And if was really a much, much better coach, shouldn't he have a much, much better record?

It's all about the wins & losses, remember?

Texecutioner
12-12-2010, 02:05 PM

Not nearly as bat shit crazy as the folks who have defended Kubes for the last few years. Del Rio could coach circles around Kubiak.

Marcus
12-12-2010, 10:43 PM
It's all about the wins & losses, remember?

No, some evidently don't want to remember that.

You bring up the W-L records of other coaches, and you get all kinds of excuses, (very little talent, a near-empty stadium, a cheap owner, blah blah blah) . . . .

. . . but with one particular coach, it's all about wins and losses.

(But, but, but . . . . . . )

LOL.

Texecutioner
12-12-2010, 11:17 PM

You bring up the W-L records of other coaches, and you get all kinds of excuses, (very little talent, a near-empty stadium, a cheap owner, blah blah blah) . . . .

LOL.

I have no idea what point you were making at Nitro with this post.

Marcus
12-12-2010, 11:34 PM
I have no idea what point you were making at Nitro with this post.

The point is that some of you are holding Kubiak's W-L record as the standard for firing him, but don't hold other coaches' W-L records to that standard as the basis for hiring them.

At least that is the impression that I'm getting. Why the inconsistency?

Texecutioner
12-13-2010, 12:08 AM
The point is that some of you are holding Kubiak's W-L record as the standard for firing him, but don't hold other coaches' W-L records to that standard as the basis for hiring them.

Actually this is completely false. These last few years we've brought up wins loss records of other coaches that have turned their teams around faster and gone further and I've heard every excuse and spin on other team's success that I could imagine. Hell, just before last year I had folks in here telling me that Sean Peyton just got lucky in his first year where he made the playoffs and Atlanta's success was downplayed when they went to the playoffs two years ago and even earlier this year when they were like 6-2. The Dolphins resurgence of a season after they had gone 1-15 was laughed at around here as a spin off for Kubiak and Rick Smith.

What you just tried to claim has been the exact opposite, but it's just that now in year 5 most of the people that were brainwashed by Kubiak's "nice guy" persona have finally realized that he isn't the guy that many had hoped he was.

houstonspartan
12-13-2010, 02:19 AM

LOL.

Bullshit.

Have you looked at the resources Gary Kubiak has? The man is the luckiest coach in the NFL. Other coaches would sell their souls to get what he has.

No, "very little talent" and "near empty stadium" aren't "excuses." They are the truth. So, using that theory, why hasn't Kubiak been to the playoffs in five years?

Jack DelRio has very little to work with, yet makes the most of his resources. Yet, Gary KUbiak has a ton, and can't get things going.

And by the way: I have never used Kubiaks win-loss record as a basis for his firing. I have said that he should be fired based on his inability to move this franchise forward, meaning, the playoffs. Yes, results matter. And results also mean the playoffs.

Get it?

houstonspartan
12-13-2010, 02:22 AM
Actually this is completely false. These last few years we've brought up wins loss records of other coaches that have turned their teams around faster and gone further and I've heard every excuse and spin on other team's success that I could imagine. Hell, just before last year I had folks in here telling me that Sean Peyton just got lucky in his first year where he made the playoffs and Atlanta's success was downplayed when they went to the playoffs two years ago and even earlier this year when they were like 6-2. The Dolphins resurgence of a season after they had gone 1-15 was laughed at around here as a spin off for Kubiak and Rick Smith.

What you just tried to claim has been the exact opposite, but it's just that now in year 5 most of the people that were brainwashed by Kubiak's "nice guy" persona have finally realized that he isn't the guy that many had hoped he was.

Exactly. People have actually told me that Sean Payton has "gotten lucky." Never mind that the man took over a disasterous football team. For some reason, his success is attributed to "luck."

And, why is Atlanta staring at a Super Bowl when they just hired their coach in 2008? Atlanta is a team that was a TOTAL disaster, and yet, they've managed to rebuild nearly three year?

Explain, please.

Rey
12-13-2010, 08:29 AM

I don't think del rio would be at the top of many peoples lists. But when you compare the job he's done with the resources he's had, he's been better than kubiak.

A few days ago there was info posted refuting the fact that mcnair was cheap.

I think he was like a top five spender or something. Imo that's even more evidence that this staff has failed.

Del rio has taken a cheaper less talented team to the play offs twice and now workin on a third time . . .in the same division as us.

So yes. . . So far he's been a better coach than kubiak.

IDEXAN
12-13-2010, 09:00 AM
I don't think del rio would be at the top of many peoples lists. But when you compare the job he's done with the resources he's had, he's been better than kubiak.

A few days ago there was info posted refuting the fact that mcnair was cheap.

I think he was like a top five spender or something. Imo that's even more evidence that this staff has failed.

Del rio has taken a cheaper less talented team to the play offs twice and now workin on a third time . . .in the same division as us.

So yes. . . So far he's been a better coach than kubiak.
Whether people want to admit it or not, Del Rio has done an outstanding job.
Just ask Gary Kubiak, who hasn't beaten the Jags coach since 2008.
Most people had the Jags in the celler of the AFC South this year before the season started, and now looks like they win the division outright. And who gets most of the credit for that ? You got it.
Being a successful NFL coach isn't about being popular, or a nice guy, it's a bottom-line business as the cliche goes and this morning the Jags are sitting at 8-5 compared to the Texans 5-7.

Mr teX
12-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Whether people want to admit it or not, Del Rio has done an outstanding job.
Just ask Gary Kubiak, who hasn't beaten the Jags coach since 2008.
Most people had the Jags in the celler of the AFC South this year before the season started, and now looks like they win the division outright. And who gets most of the credit for that ? You got it.
Being a successful NFL coach isn't about being popular, or a nice guy, it's a bottom-line business as the cliche goes and this morning the Jags are sitting at 8-5 compared to the Texans 5-7.

yeah, nevermind the fact he was on the hot seat in jax for 2 straight years prior to this.

houstonspartan
12-13-2010, 02:15 PM
yeah, nevermind the fact he was on the hot seat in jax for 2 straight years prior to this.

So? Nearly every coach in the NFL goes on and off the hot seat. Hell, Lovie Smith in Chicago is winning (except for yesterday) and he's STILL in the hot seat, and this is a man that went to the Super Bowl a few years ago.

Rey
12-13-2010, 02:25 PM

Right...He was on the hot seat....

So since Kubiak has been worse shouldn't he be on the hot seat?

GP
12-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Right...He was on the hot seat....

So since Kubiak has been worse shouldn't he be on the hot seat?

"Shouldn't he" is such a vague phrase.

"Ought to be" as well.

We must grasp that Kubiak's potential transcends his reality. - Dolly Llama

GP
12-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Teaser line on espn.go.com's NFL page says:

"Rumors: Cowher to the AFC South has a shot"

.NFL Rumors ,NFL Trade Rumors, Free Agency Rumors and More

Subscribe to Insider for as low as $2.50/month to access the complete rumor

Cowher's options
11:46 AM ET
Bill Cowher | Steelers

It won't be the Cowboys, but others may be a fit.

http://a.espncdn.com/i/nfl/profiles/coaches/30006.jpg

Yes. If it fits, Kubiak must quit.

Second Honeymoon
12-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Hopefully things will work out
Kubiak must go

GP
12-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Hopefully things will work out
Kubiak must go

I wonder if this is a rumor based off of the so-called "imminent signing" of Elway with the Broncos?

In other words, Elway will lobby to bring back Kubiak and find a way to make the deal happen. Which opens up Cowher for Houston?

I don't think Cowher would work for Bud Adams. He has more brains in his chin than to do that, IMO. Jax won't be bringing him in due to Del Rio winning the division in a year where he forgot to get the memo about Jax finishing dead last. The Colts will stand pat.

That leaves the Texans. A team that has a capable QB, a very capable RB, a capable second RB (Ward, not Slaton) a star WR, other WRs who contribute and work hard, a quiltwork of TEs, Cushing, Mario, and Antonio Jump-Offside-io Smith. And we got RACKERS! The meanest kicker in the NFL.

The stars are aligning but I can't get my hopes up. I think there's too much loyalty in McNair to pull off a deal to get it done. of course, he could assuade his loyalty problems by letting him go to Denver and plug right back into the team Kubiak came from...in all honesty, that would be a very charitable opportunity for Gurry "Aww shucks, it's on me" Kubiak. VERY charitable.

But will it happen? Nah. :bubbles:

GP
12-13-2010, 03:50 PM
I'm going to bet Cowher ends up in Denver.

Cold weather and outside stadium reminiscient of Pittsburgh. Great fans who are passionate about their team. Elway there to also nurse the team back to health. A 3-4 in place, with Dumervil there as well.

That's going to be the place Cowher lands.

The Texans stick with Kubiak, Kubiak is out after 2011, and we can't get Cowher. Kubiak goes to Denver to be o-coord again, to help Cowher create a better team. Oy!

Double Barrel
12-13-2010, 03:58 PM
If Cowher went to a divisional rival, and beat us over the head with his chin for the next several years...then I would give up. Surrender.

I'd stop watching Texans football and just call it a day.

I seriously would. Because that, to me, would be th eultimate embarrassment to us. For a divisional rival to scoop up a great coach and just put us on full blast every year. Awesome. :slitwrist:

I'm right there with you if the Texans keep Kubiak and one of our division rivals signs Cowher...provided I survive the explosion of my head after such news.

Do you really want to put yourself out there as defending a coach that is at 5-7 for a fourth year in a row?

Win/loss record is just one factor in analyzing Kubiak's tenure.

But instead of continuing your habit of making derogatory statements toward those you disagree with, why not try to make a case for keeping Kubiak? I'd be interested in reading anyone's thoughts that can seriously try to make the case for accepting another year of of a head coach who has become synonymous with perpetual mediocrity.

I have yet to see a solid pro-Kubiak argument made that does not involve fear tactics about a collective bargaining agreement, stupid insinuations, or the word "vomity" about potential head coaching candidates. Instead of playing on the negative, why not try to really put forth a solid argument why anyone would want to keep him another season.

p.s. And none of this "the kids love to play for him" nonsense. This isn't little league. These guys get paid a helluva' lot to play for whoever the damn owner tells them to play for.

Mr teX
12-13-2010, 04:02 PM
So? Nearly every coach in the NFL goes on and off the hot seat. Hell, Lovie Smith in Chicago is winning (except for yesterday) and he's STILL in the hot seat, and this is a man that went to the Super Bowl a few years ago.

What do you mean so? If you're on the hot seat that means that people/fans or whomever don't think you're a very good coach to begin with. So all this nonsense about Del Rio being light years better as a HC than Kubiak just b/c he's made a few token playoff appearances doesn't make him a good coach. If he was soooo much better, he would've never been on the hot seat to begin with. I have a sneaking suspicion that if Kubiak & Del Rio's track records were flipped, some of you would still be calling for his head citing the same reasons. "oh, he needs to go b/c he can't get us over the hump..".

It also says in a backhanded kind of way that the fans ultimately don't know ^&*$ about what a good coach is. Had the fans in NE had their way, belichick would've never become the guy there; At least not based on what he did in Cleveland, "the great" Del-Rio would've been fired 2 years ago.

Ole Miss Texan
12-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Why is there all this talk about "Denver wants Kubiak"? That point is moot. I could understand it if it was some dream job of Kubiak's and there's the potential that he would quit here and seek that job, but that's not the case. Isn't this the job Kubiak wants? Be in his hometown Houston and coach this team? Kubiak isn't leaving Houston for Denver.

Now if he gets fired, then I see the connection. But we don't really have to worry about where he ends up. Sure it paints a nice rosey picture that he goes to a good spot but that is not what is making the decision. If he gets fired that's that... Houston looks for a new coach. It doesn't matter if Kubiak has 20 job offers or 0.

b0ng
12-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Even though it's pretty much meaningless, I'd wear an avatar of two men making out furiously if Cowher actually came here.

Quote this, write it down, whatever you wanna do, but I just don't think Cowher is going to end up here in Houston for whatever reason (Keeping Kubiak is my bet).

Mr teX
12-13-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm right there with you if the Texans keep Kubiak and one of our division rivals signs Cowher...provided I survive the explosion of my head after such news.

Do you really want to put yourself out there as defending a coach that is at 5-7 for a fourth year in a row?

Win/loss record is just one factor in analyzing Kubiak's tenure.

But instead of continuing your habit of making derogatory statements toward those you disagree with, why not try to make a case for keeping Kubiak? I'd be interested in reading anyone's thoughts that can seriously try to make the case for accepting another year of of a head coach who has become synonymous with perpetual mediocrity.

I have yet to see a solid pro-Kubiak argument made that does not involve fear tactics about a collective bargaining agreement, stupid insinuations, or the word "vomity" about potential head coaching candidates. Instead of playing on the negative, why not try to really put forth a solid argument why anyone would want to keep him another season.

p.s. And none of this "the kids love to play for him" nonsense. This isn't little league. These guys get paid a helluva' lot to play for whoever the damn owner tells them to play for.

DB, I don't think that anyone is saying to outright keep the guy..at least not without making any significant changes anyway. Its just that some of us are reluctant to blame all this teams failings on 1 guy.

If a ship has multiple holes in its hull, you don't just pick the biggest hole, fix it up & put it back out on the water. Sure, it might float a little better, but you're still gonna take on water & eventually sink. what you do is analyze the hull top to bottom, fix all obvious holes and any you think might become a problem & you go from there.

Double Barrel
12-13-2010, 04:30 PM
DB, I don't think that anyone is saying to outright keep the guy..at least not without making any significant changes anyway. Its just that some of us are reluctant to blame all this teams failings on 1 guy.

If a ship has multiple holes in its hull, you don't just pick the biggest hole, fix it up & put it back out on the water. Sure, it might float a little better, but you're still gonna take on water & eventually sink. what you do is analyze the hull top to bottom, fix all obvious holes and any you think might become a problem & you go from there.

Well I agree that it's not one guy's fault. It's obviously a full blown organizational meltdown to see this kind of continuous mediocrity year after year.

But, in this business, you have to start with the top if you're looking for fundamental changes to be made. And it doesn't get any higher than the head coach since ownership is not going to change hands.

As far as your ship analogy, if the captain and his personally chosen crew keeps hitting icebergs that put holes in the hull, there is no doubt that you replaced the captain and crew when it's at dry dock getting the holes fixed.

HOU-TEX
12-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Even though it's pretty much meaningless, I'd wear an avatar of two men making out furiously if Cowher actually came here.

Quote this, write it down, whatever you wanna do, but I just don't think Cowher is going to end up here in Houston for whatever reason (Keeping Kubiak is my bet).

*HOU-TEX makes mental note to put b0ng on his ignore list if Cowher signs with the Texans*

lol, jk bong

GP
12-13-2010, 04:40 PM

Well, the two guys better be hot. I'm not sayin'....I'm just sayin'....

Thorn
12-13-2010, 04:43 PM
OK, that's it. I'm not returning to this thread again!!

Doppelganger
12-13-2010, 04:46 PM

Done.

Mr teX
12-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Well I agree that it's not one guy's fault. It's obviously a full blown organizational meltdown to see this kind of continuous mediocrity year after year.

But, in this business, you have to start with the top if you're looking for fundamental changes to be made. And it doesn't get any higher than the head coach since ownership is not going to change hands.

As far as your ship analogy, if the captain and his personally chosen crew keeps hitting icebergs that put holes in the hull, there is no doubt that you replaced the captain and crew when it's at dry dock getting the holes fixed.

Lol, point taken, but you don't put your new captain in a shitty ship either.

Doppelganger
12-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Here is my thinking: whats the worst thing that can happen if Kubiak is fired and Cowher is hired? I would say the worst thing would be for Cowher to not deliver and for Kubiak to take his new team to the playoffs and beyond.

Will that happen who knows. But, I say it is tiresome to watch a team do the same thing over and over and get no results. I would rather the owner take a chance and grab Cowher rather than stick in mediocrity. If you take a chance you have a shot. If you continue with mediocrity you don't.

Bring in The Chin!

Rey
12-13-2010, 06:57 PM

Cold weather and outside stadium reminiscient of Pittsburgh. Great fans who are passionate about their team. Elway there to also nurse the team back to health. A 3-4 in place, with Dumervil there as well.

The Texans stick with Kubiak, Kubiak is out after 2011, and we can't get Cowher. Kubiak goes to Denver to be o-coord again, to help Cowher create a better team. Oy!

I think Tennessee is a really good bet.

That is a team that is pretty much already built to play Cowher football.

Corrosion
12-13-2010, 07:37 PM
I think Tennessee is a really good bet.

That is a team that is pretty much already built to play Cowher football.

You think he really wants to deal with Buck Fud usurping his authority to a crybaby QB and a nutjob RB ?

The team is built to play his kind of game , but I just cant see him wanting to work for an owner like Buck Fud especially after the way he handled the latest situation.

JB
12-13-2010, 07:50 PM
You think he really wants to deal with Buck Fud usurping his authority to a crybaby QB and a nutjob RB ?

The team is built to play his kind of game , but I just cant see him wanting to work for an owner like Buck Fud especially after the way he handled the latest situation.

I agree. And Cowher has knowledge (read distaste) of Fud from way back. At least, way back for you young damn whippersnappers!

TexCanada
12-13-2010, 07:57 PM

This seems rather reasonable, and would probably make for one heck of a team.

JB
12-13-2010, 08:00 PM

This seems rather reasonable, and would probably make for one heck of a team.

No way. Word is that Bowlen wants to limit the power the HC wants to have after Shanny & McDaniels. Cowher is going to want major control of personnel decisions.

GP
12-13-2010, 09:06 PM
No way. Word is that Bowlen wants to limit the power the HC wants to have after Shanny & McDaniels. Cowher is going to want major control of personnel decisions.

It's Bill Cowher. Re-think that sort of statement.

It's Bill. Cowher.

Rey
12-13-2010, 09:12 PM

As far as I know, Bud hasn't notoriously been that way.

I think with a coach like Cowher he would be more willing to let him do what he does.

It's not like Bud is Jerry Jones. He's not domineering in that way.

But honestly, I think Cowher would be ok with VY. I think he would be the kind of coach that could go in there and work with him.

If you look at the QB's that Fisher has had in the past they seem to fit that mold with Kordell and Big Ben. Big, strong mobile guys...

Add in the fact that they have Chris Johnson and big physical receivers and I think that'd be a tempting job for him. And there defense has some nice pieces as well...

JB
12-13-2010, 09:14 PM
It's Bill Cowher. Re-think that sort of statement.

It's Bill. Cowher.

As far as I know, Bud hasn't notoriously been that way.

I think with a coach like Cowher he would be more willing to let him do what he does.

It's not like Bud is Jerry Jones. He's not domineering in that way.

But honestly, I think Cowher would be ok with VY. I think he would be the kind of coach that could go in there and work with him.

If you look at the QB's that Fisher has had in the past they seem to fit that mold with Kordell and Big Ben. Big, strong mobile guys...

Add in the fact that they have Chris Johnson and big physical receivers and I think that'd be a tempting job for him. And there defense has some nice pieces as well...

Ya'll must be smokin' some damn good shyte!

Doppelganger
12-13-2010, 09:54 PM

Yup. Also remember that Bowlin still owes $ to Shanahan and McDaniels. He is not going to want to pay Cowher big bucks too.