PDA

View Full Version : New overtime rules

Malloy
12-08-2010, 03:25 PM
During the weekends games I heard an announcer mention that the overtime rules would be different coming playoffs. Does anyone know what those changes are, and would they care to explain it? :)

Thanks y'all in advance! :)

Kulluminatii
12-08-2010, 04:08 PM
During the weekends games I heard an announcer mention that the overtime rules would be different coming playoffs. Does anyone know what those changes are, and would they care to explain it? :)

If I remember correctly, overtime will be similar to college football during the playoffs in that both teams will have possession. If the game is still tied after each team has had a possession, then it goes into "sudden death" and whoever scores first wins.

infantrycak
12-08-2010, 04:14 PM
If I remember correctly, overtime will be similar to college football during the playoffs in that both teams will have possession. If the game is still tied after each team has had a possession, then it goes into "sudden death" and whoever scores first wins.

Close but not quite.

If the recipient of the opening overtime kickoff scores a TD the game is over and they win. If they score a field goal then the kicking team gets a possession. If the kicking team gets a TD the game is over. If they don't score the game is over. If they tie it up 3-3, it goes to sudden death.

CloakNNNdagger
12-08-2010, 04:15 PM
NFL's New Overtime Rule: Making Football Fair Again (http://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2010/08/nfls-new-overtime-rule-making-football-fair-again/61799/)
Aug 20 2010

Since the league first contemplated the idea of overtime in 1941, NFL games that go into extra time have been decided by the sudden death format—whoever scores first wins. The method of deciding which team gets the all-important first possession of overtime has been set in stone for just as long: a coin toss, identical to the one that occurs at the beginning of each game. The team that wins the toss chooses whether they want to receive the ball or kick off to the other team. Teams often choose to kick it away at the beginning of games, but in overtime, when scoring first is all that matters, they choose to receive virtually every time.

The problem with the old system is blindingly obvious to anyone with common sense or a high school understanding of math. Even the biggest NFL neophyte gets the equation: scoring first equals victory, and teams score when they have the ball (fumbles and interception returns notwithstanding). So whichever team has the ball first is more likely to win. And the decision of who gets the ball first is made by a coin toss, the paragon of pure chance.

Defenders of the system argued it was the fairest way possible to conduct sudden death overtime. And that's true—if you're going to award a team the first possession, the best way is through a 50/50 coin toss.

Or you could just abolish sudden death overtime and adopt a system closer to the one used in college football, where each team gets one possession per overtime. And in the wake of the Saints' overtime win in January, that's exactly what the league did.

The new system is designed to eliminate the biggest iniquity of sudden death overtime: A team wins the toss, drives 35 yards, and kicks a game-winning field goal. Under the new rules, whoever wins the toss (and therefore gets the ball first) wins the game if they score a touchdown on the first possession. If they just kick a field goal, the other team gets one possession to tie with a field goal of their own or win with a touchdown. If the team with the ball first doesn't score at all, the old sudden death rules kick in.

The rule is overly convoluted, and it still forces teams who lose the coin toss to keep their opponent out of the end zone. But it's a lot harder to score a touchdown than a field goal, and after 69 years of sudden death it's a big step in the right direction.

The rule only applies during the playoffs, though owners have said they're open to expanding the system to the regular season in the future. But come January, the biggest games of the season won't be purely decided by a coin toss. And that, undeniably, is progress.

texanhead08
12-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Dumbest rule ever. They should have left it alone.

Blake
12-08-2010, 04:33 PM

I look at it this way. First to 6 wins.

Unless neither team scores any points in their first possession. At that point its back to sudden death.

Thorn
12-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Why make it overly complicated. Each team should get one crack at the ball, after that whoever has the most points soonest wins.

PapaL
12-08-2010, 06:35 PM
So after all that it's thumb war THEN paper, rock, scissor?

Malloy
12-09-2010, 09:29 AM
I like the 'first to 6' explanation, it's eeeeasy to remember and... it's true.

Thanks y'all for chiming in, I learned something today! :)

Double Barrel
12-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Why make it overly complicated. Each team should get one crack at the ball, after that whoever has the most points soonest wins.

This. It's so simple to understand and implement, but of course, the NFL brain trust has to justify all their fancy flow charts so they come up with this convoluted scenario.

Blake
12-09-2010, 10:17 AM

This. It's so simple to understand and implement, but of course, the NFL brain trust has to justify all their fancy flow charts so they come up with this convoluted scenario.

The entire point of the rule change is to take away the good kick return, drive 30 yards and boot a FG for the W. I like the fact that a TD still wins the game for the first team to touch the ball. FG kickers are just too damn accurate from far out these days.

But overall I think the sudden death rule is the best. Dont want to go to sudden death? Then beat the team in the 60 alloted minutes.

gwallaia
12-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Could it be more overtime action in what would obviously be a good game mean more air time thus more commercial time thus more money for the NFL?

I support the rule change btw.

mattieuk
12-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Good change. I like it - makes it fairer, more competitive, and allows more football to be played. Lets see a '2nd overtime' win for the Tacks tonight, and see how tiring it is!

:kitten:

keyser
12-09-2010, 02:02 PM
I like the 'first to 6' explanation, it's eeeeasy to remember and... it's true.

Thanks y'all for chiming in, I learned something today! :)

Except that is not quite right, either - if the first team doesn't score, the second team will win with just a field goal.

I think the way to think about it is that "the game is still sudden death EXCEPT when there is only a field goal on the first posession." That's really the only difference.

What I'm not clear about is what happens if there is a turnover during the kickoff (either the first or the second), an onside kick, etc.

CloakNNNdagger
12-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Except that is not quite right, either - if the first team doesn't score, the second team will win with just a field goal.

I think the way to think about it is that "the game is still sudden death EXCEPT when there is only a field goal on the first posession." That's really the only difference.

What I'm not clear about is what happens if there is a turnover during the kickoff (either the first or the second), an onside kick, etc.

I don't have the cite at this moment, but this is what I remember of the new rules.:

The onside kick rule in the new overtime states that if you are the receiving team and the opponent tries and gets an onside kick, that team still needs a TD to win. If they only get a FG, the rules stay the same from then on..................regarding a FG by their opponent leading to sudden death or a TD leading to a win.

Simply stated, failing of a receiving team to recover an on-side kick or fumbling on the return counts as a possession.

EDIT: Here's a cite I found written by the senior sports writer for CBS SPORTS, Clark Judge (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13434596/time-for-owners-to-restore-sanity-to-overtime-rules):

The new rule is so multi-layered that if you intercept a pass on your opponent's first possession, then fumble away the ball, that is considered a possession. If you fumble an on-side kick, that, too, is considered a possession. And if you fumble an on-side kick, and your opponent recovers -- but then fumbles it away -- that's two possessions on one kickoff.

Malloy
12-10-2010, 02:10 AM
Argh... ok not SO simple then. I get the basic 'rule' and I think I'll be able to rationalize the rules if turnovers happens.

As long as the ref's get it I'm hoping I'll get it too :)

ThaShark316
12-10-2010, 02:24 AM
my question is:

Can a team win by 5 or 9?

Team A gets FG...then Team B gets backed up into own territory after, lets say, a penalty. Then gets sacked for a safety...

or Team A gets FG...then Team B picks a pass off and runs it in for 6...

CloakNNNdagger
12-10-2010, 07:36 AM
my question is:

Can a team win by 5 or 9?

Team A gets FG...then Team B gets backed up into own territory after, lets say, a penalty. Then gets sacked for a safety......

Looks like a "particular wrinkle" (http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/23/sports/la-sp-farmer-nfl-20100324) has been written into the new overtime rules.

A safety at any point would win an overtime game, meaning a team wins by scoring two points. If a safety occurs, of course, both teams can say they had a chance.

or Team A gets FG...then Team B picks a pass off and runs it in for 6...

Team B has scored a TD (doesn't matter how) and wins.

Malloy
12-10-2010, 09:05 AM
I'm happy to see that I was not the only one confused about the new rules, glad I created the thread :)

ThaShark316
12-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Looks like a "particular wrinkle" (http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/23/sports/la-sp-farmer-nfl-20100324) has been written into the new overtime rules.

Team B has scored a TD (doesn't matter how) and wins.

My bad...I meant Team B gets PICKED OFF and Team A runs it in for 6...lol. My bad.

CloakNNNdagger
12-10-2010, 01:28 PM
My bad...I meant Team B gets PICKED OFF and Team A runs it in for 6...lol. My bad.

Same difference. Each has had a possession before the TD is scored.:)

Speedy
12-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Dumbest rule ever. They should have left it alone.

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with OT now. It requires you to play football on both sides of the ball.

And the arguement that the team that wins the coin toss has an advantage is horsecrap. I saw on a broadcast recently that 6 of 9 times a team won the toss they lost the game this year.

And when you go look up stats about this ('cause someone will) make sure you find out how many of those teams that won the toss were the only ones that had the ball on offense, because if team A wins the toss, punts, then team B has a possession and goes 3 and out and team A scores on the next possession to win, thus making the team that won the toss victorious, that kinda skewes the stats.

Find out how many OT games have had multiple possessions. I'll bet it's way more than many realize, thus making this new rule, with all it's wrinkles, meaningless really.

mattieuk
12-13-2010, 11:45 PM
I thought this had come in this weekend. I was laughing at the Ravens celebrating winning the coin toss.

Damn it.

Blake
01-06-2011, 02:10 PM
So the only scenario that I dont understand yet is this.

Team A receives the kick and is forced to punt.

Team B receives the punt and kicks a FG.

Did Team B win???

JB
01-06-2011, 02:25 PM

Did Team B win???

Yes!

lostboy
01-06-2011, 02:25 PM
My understanding is yes, Team B wins.
Since Team A had a possesion and failed to do anything with it.

Blake
01-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Yes!

My understanding is yes, Team B wins.
Since Team A had a possesion and failed to do anything with it.

Ok thanks!

Dutchrudder
01-06-2011, 03:26 PM

Did Team B win???

But what if Team A throws an INT, then Team B fumbles the ball on the return. Team A kicks a FG on that possession, do they win?

JB
01-06-2011, 03:31 PM
But what if Team A throws an INT, then Team B fumbles the ball on the return. Team A kicks a FG on that possession, do they win?

:thinking: I think they do if it was ruled an interception and a fumble. That would mean there had been a change of possession.

Blake
01-06-2011, 03:34 PM

:thinking: I think they do if it was ruled an interception and a fumble. That would mean there had been a change of possession.

Yeah. Team B officially had possession of the ball.

Team A receives first and kicks a field goal.
Team A onside kicks and recovers.

Team A wins.