PDA

View Full Version : So What Do Yall Think of my Theory now?

El Tejano
12-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Bare with me, this will be long but a good read.

Last year, our Texans were affected by Indy pulling Peyton Manning in the 3rd Quarter of a week 15 game which allowed the Jets to come from behind to win the game. Had the Jets lost, we could've made the playoffs with our final record.

This was happening throughout the league because alot of teams had either clinched the playoffs or division by this time. Indy had already clinched the division back in wk 12 and let their perfect record go for fear of losing Manning in a meaningless game.

This caused the NFL fans throughout America to come up with ideas to prevent teams to pull their star players in the last weeks of meaningless games. Ideas of offering an extra draft pick to offering money to the players were suggested.

Last year around this time, I posted on a thread talking about that NYJvsIndy game and I advised that I called into Sirius NFL Network talk show and pleaded my case about putting the last 3 division games in the last 3 weeks of the season, and Solomon Wilcox thought I had the greatest idea ever. He even stated that I probalby changed NFL football and made it better with that idea. Randy Cross didn't get the concept at all, stating it would affect Dallas playing Washington on MNF for the first game of the season (breaking up tradition).

Well here we are in December with only 4 games left. Division races are very close throughout. The two divisions that were clinched by week 12 last year are still open. #1 is only leading #2 and #3 by like 1 or 2 games with division games yet to be played. Listen to announcers and analyst on any channel and on any game and all of them are saying that the NFL made a great decision by putting the last 3 division games in the last month.

What do you the fans think now? I know I had alot of people supporting my idea but alot were calling me stupid. Again, this doesn't eliminate teams from being able to rest by week 15 or 16 but it does reduce it by a whole lot.

I did a check this year specifically because i wanted to see how things unfolded for the season and here is the info I got if NFL made the last 3 games all division games, league wide:

Divisions after 1st 3 division games (Oct 23 after week 6, need to see what record is after wk 8 Nov 8th, and again Dec 6th, don't count 2nd division game)

AFC East - all teams finished with 1st 3 division games
Team Div Rec Current Overall Record

New York Jets 3-0 5-1
New England Pat 2-1 4-1
Miami Dolphins 1-2 3-2
Buffalo Bills 0-3 0-5

AFC North- Baltimore and Cleveland finished with 1st 3 Division games.
Pittsburgh 1-1 4-1
Baltimore 2-1 4-2
Cincy 1-1 2-3
Cleveland 1-2 1-5

AFC South
Tennessee 1-0, 4-2
Houston 1-0, 4-2
Indy 0-2, 4-2
Jville 1-1, 3-3

AFC West
Kansas City 1-0, 3-2
Oakland 1-0. 2-4
San Diego 0-2, 2-4
Denver 0-0, 2-4

NFC East
New York Giants 0-0, 4-2
Philadelphia 0-1, 4-2
Washington 2-0, 3-3
Dallas 0-1, 1-4

NFC North - Detroit finished with 1st 3 Div games
Chicago Bears 2-0, 4-2
Green Bay 1-1, 3-3
Minnesota 1-0, 2-3
Detroit 0-3, 1-5

NFC South- New Orleans finished with 1st 3 Div games
Atlanta 1-0, 4-2
New Orleans 2-1, 4-2
Tampa Bay 1-1, 3-2
Carolina 0-2. 0-5

NFC West
Arizona 1-0, 3-2
Seattle 1-1, 3-2
St. Louis 1-1, 3-3
San Francisco 0-1, 1-5

After 8 games

AFC East - all teams finished with first 3 division games

NYJ 3-0 6-2 (last division games will be @ NE, vs Mia, vs Buff)
New Eng 2-1 6-2 (last division games will be vs NYJ, @ Buff, vs Mia)
Miami 1-2 4-4 (@ NYJ, vs Buffalo, @ NE)
Buffalo 0-3 0-8 ( @ Mia, vs NE, @ NYJ)

AFC North - all teams finished with first 3 division games

Baltimore 2-1 6-2 (last division games will be vs Pitt, @ Cleveland, vs Cincy)
Pitssburgh 2-1 6-2 (Last division games will be @ Baltimore, vs Cincy, @ Cleveland)
Cleveland 1-2 3-5 (last division games will be @ Cincy, vs Baltimore, vs Pitt)
Cincy 1-2 2-6 (last division games will be vs, Clevleand, vs Pitt, @ Baltimore)

AFC South - Indy has completed 3 division games but still needs to play Jville once and Tenn twice/Texans still need to play Tenn and Jville Twice

Tenn 1-0 5-3
Indy 1-2 5-3 (withouth second game vs Houston would be 4-3) (last 3 division games would be vs Hou, vs Jville, vs Ten)
Houston 1-1 4-4 (without second game vs Indy would be 4-3)
Jville 1-1 4-4

AFC West - Only Oakland has completed first 3 division games.

KC Chiefs 1-1 5-3
Oakland 3-0 5-4 (Last division games will be @ SD, vs Denver, @ KC)
San Diego 0-2 4-5
Denver 0-1 2-6

NFC East

NYG 1-0 6-2
Philly 0-1 5-3
Wash 2-0 4-4
Dallas 0-2 1-7

NFC North - Green Bay and Detroit have played first 3 division games.

Green Bay 2-1 6-3 (last division games will be @ Minn, @ Det, vs. Chicago)
Chicago 2-0 5-3
Minnesota 1-1 3-5
Detroit 0-3 2-6 (last division games will be vs Chicago, vs GB, vs Minn)

NFC South - New Orleans and Tampa have played 1st 3 division games.

Atlanta 2-0 6-2
New Orl 3-1 6-3 (record would be 5-3 without 2nd game vs Carolina) (Last division games would be @ Carolina, @ ATL, vs. Tampa Bay)
Tampa 1-2 5-3 (last division games will be vs Carolina, vs. Atl, @ New Orleans)
Carolina 0-3 1-7 (record would be 1-6 without 2nd game vs NewOrleans)

NFC West - Only Seattle has played first 3 Division games.

StL Rams 1-1 4-4
Seattle 2-1 4-4 (last division games would be @ Az, @ SF, vs. StL.)
Arizona 1-1 3-5
San Fran 0-1 2-6

After 12 games (removed last division game played if it was the first of a second division game, for purpose of seeing how it would look if all last 3 division games were played in final 3 weeks of the season).

The AFC East is a perfect example of how this would make for better december football in terms of who is going to play their starters and how the NFL could easily make the season work out this way. After week six, all the AFC East already played their first 3 division games. You can still market Jets vs. Pats early and you definetly could market Jets vs Pats in Decemeber - just look how they did it with them this year on Dec 6th.

Pats 9-2
Jets 9-2
Miami 6-6 (Miami could make a serious push and win the division)
Buffalo 2-10

AFC North
Pittsburgh 9-2
Baltimore 8-3
Cleveland 5-7 (Barring a let down from the Ravens and Steelers, even Cleveland would have something to play for, but I guarantee the top two in this divsion will not rest against the Browns.)

Cincy 2-10 (Yeah well....)

AFC South

(This is where my theory really hits it big. You got Indy on a four game losing streak, Houston just getting off a losing streak, Tenn on a 4 game losing streak, and Jville starting to pull away. However with this theory of mine, Jville aint running away though. If you take away their last two division games they played and put those at the end of the season, the whole division could possibly be entering the last 3 weeks of the division tied for first place.)

Jville 6-5
Indy 5-6
Texans 5-6
Tenn 5-6

AFC West

KC 7-4
SD 6-5
Oak 5-6
Den 3-8

NFC East

NYG 8-3
Phil 7-4
Was 5-6
Dall 4-8

NFC North
Chi 8-3
GB 7-4
Min 5-6
Det 2-9

NFC South
ATL 10-2
NO 8-3
TB 6-4
Car 1-10

NFC West (This division is bad but it would make for decent football in December)
STL 5-6
Sea 5-6
SF 4-8
AZ 3-8

Here is the league as it stands for 2010 after all teams have played 12 games. Even without putting all 3 last division games in the last 3 weeks, you can still see how most divisions are really still up for grabs and having those division games in the last month is really heating up the division race. Last year around this time, divisions were already decided. Last year's division winners: Two were clinched in week 12 (Indy and New Orleans), 3 were clinched in wk 15, 1 in wk 15, 1 in wk 16. Two playoff spots were clinched in wk 14. Many of those games had teams handing over the game for fear of injury after finding out they made the playoffs etc... That will not be the case this year. Less teams will be able to tank the final two games now.

AFC EAST

NE 10-2
NYJ 9-3
Miami 6-6
Buff 2-10

AFC North
Pitt 9-3
Bal 8-4
Cleveland 5-7
Cincy 2-10

AFC South
Jville 7-5
Indy 6-6
Hou 5-7
Tenn 5-7

AFC West
KC 8-4
Oak 6-6
SD 6-6
Den 3-9

NFC East
Philly 8-4
NYG 8-4
Was 5-7
Dall 4-8

NFC North

Chicago 9-3
GB 8-4
Minn 5-7
Det 2-10

NFC South

ATL 10-2
New Or 9-3
TB 7-5
Car 1-11

NFC West
Stl 6-6
Sea 6-6
SF 4-8
Az 3-9

jaayteetx
12-07-2010, 12:53 PM
your right, that was a long post

El Tejano
12-07-2010, 12:54 PM
your right, that was a long post

Still reading or did you read and now you have something to add?

jaayteetx
12-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Still reading or did you read and now you have something to add?

I think the league did a good thing moving the division games to the final month, it was such a good idea, don't know why its taken so long to get here.

El Tejano
12-07-2010, 03:08 PM
I think the league did a good thing moving the division games to the final month, it was such a good idea, don't know why its taken so long to get here.

I think it was a matter of seeing the effects of the realignment from when we came into the league had. Back in the day when there were only 31 teams the old way was still good because you had a few more teams fighting for WildCard spots.

GP
12-07-2010, 03:27 PM
I remember way back then, reading your idea on this forum.

I thought it was a good idea then, and I think it's a better idea now.

You probably were not the only one in America to think of this idea, but I have to say that your reasoning skills on this issue are very sharp. You even had the ability to communicate your idea on satellite radio, and a guy on there thought your idea was brilliant. Even though others also might have had the same idea, YOU had the guts to call the station and share the idea...risking the chance of being laughed at or ridiculed for it.

And look what happened: This idea is going to make NFL football VERY VERY intriguing to watch in the final three weeks of the season. Because those rivalries will shape the playoffs.

Great idea. I applaud your effort back then,a nd I thank you for bringing it back to our attention today.

spurstexanstros
12-07-2010, 05:20 PM
@#$%^^& hail Mary we would be in first or a game out.

Double Barrel
12-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Good job, ET! :thumbup

I remember that thread and you mentioning all of this, and I agree with GP that I thought it was a great idea last year when you mentioned it. Now the NFL just needs to cut you a dividend check for the bright idea! :winky:

DBCooper
12-07-2010, 11:04 PM
So......how bout them Cowboys

El Tejano
12-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Good job, ET! :thumbup

I remember that thread and you mentioning all of this, and I agree with GP that I thought it was a great idea last year when you mentioned it. Now the NFL just needs to cut you a dividend check for the bright idea! :winky:

Yeah, I could use that check. Doubt they will ever admit it but Solomon Wilcox did tell me on Sirius that that was the best idea he heard yet (at the time). He stated how easily the NFL could market that last month as "Rivalry Month" and how just that month alone could change what teams play in the playoffs. Then he said that the idea, if implemented, would change NFL football in a great way.

Eh, I doubt I'll ever get credit at all but my family was in the car when I called and they heard it. When the schedules came out my in laws were calling me telling me they made the change I told them to make.

Speedy
12-08-2010, 07:53 PM
If a team was 12-0 right now, it would make no difference.

El Tejano
12-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Well of course there is no 12-0 team right now but yes you may be right. I never said each season will remove all possibility of someone being able to rest their starters but that it would decrease the amount of teams that would be able to. However, if another team in the division is 10-2, do you really think they can afford to rest starters?

The Jets were a prime example of how having these last division games in the last month affect their season and chances of getting in the playoffs. 9-2 with a share of the division just two weeks ago. Play two division opponents in New England and a beatable Miami and now they are 9-4 with a chance to not even make the playoffs. Even with an 11-2 record though, New England is still not in the clear.

Speedy
12-13-2010, 12:16 AM
Let's wait 'til we get to the last couple of weeks of the season, week 16 and especially week 17, you know, the typical weeks when teams rest if they've got things wrapped. Nobody's resting in week 14. Somebody who has it wrapped up will be resting starters no matter who they play. Atlanta maybe?

As for the Jets, it wouldn't have mattered much had they played and lost to Cleveland or San Diego the last 2 weeks other than division record, which you're going to play those 6 games no matter what anyway. They'd still be 9-4 and in the same boat they're in now.

El Tejano
12-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Let's wait 'til we get to the last couple of weeks of the season, week 16 and especially week 17, you know, the typical weeks when teams rest if they've got things wrapped. Nobody's resting in week 14. Somebody who has it wrapped up will be resting starters no matter who they play. Atlanta maybe?

As for the Jets, it wouldn't have mattered much had they played and lost to Cleveland or San Diego the last 2 weeks other than division record, which you're going to play those 6 games no matter what anyway. They'd still be 9-4 and in the same boat they're in now.

No, the division pretty much gets wrapped up because of that and then they have to rely on other teams to win. The division games add to the heat of the division race.

Like I said, it doesn't eliminate the teams that get to rest but it reduces them.

Speedy
12-13-2010, 12:11 PM
No, the division pretty much gets wrapped up because of that and then they have to rely on other teams to win. The division games add to the heat of the division race.

Like I said, it doesn't eliminate the teams that get to rest but it reduces them.

What? Winning games wraps up divisions. A Pats win against the Lions with the Jets losing to Miami is no different than the Jets losing to the Pats. The Jets lose a game on the Pats in both cases. Sure, the division games count a little extra, IF it's tight at the end, but if you win the games on your schedule, no matter what teams they are, and the team below you doesn't, and you wrap up the division and your playoff seeding by week 15 or 16, like let's say the Patriots might, and the Jets are fighting for a wild card being eliminated from the division race, it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference if they scheduled the Jets and Pats in a home and home in week 16 and 17 to close out the season. The Pats would still rest players with everything wrapped up.

Ok, with Bellichick and the Pats they probably wouldn't. They went balls to the wall against the Texans when they shouldn't have and lost Welker, but everybody else will.

The schedule plays out like it plays out. Teams will have things wrapped up at the end no matter how the schedule is set up.

If Houston played the Jags and this week and lost, they'd be the same 3 games behind as the Jags beating Oakland and Houston losing to Baltimore. No difference.

The Houston/J-ville game in week 17 will mean NOTHING if Houston doesn't beat the teams on their schedule which include non-division games with Baltimore and Denver.

TheCD
12-13-2010, 02:38 PM
I think that in hindsight this was a great idea. This has actually caused me to be more interested in other divisions outside the AFC South.

On top of all that, for the teams that are really bad, the fans actually have a chance to really root for their team as being a spoiler and knocking a rival out of the playoffs.

At the very least, no matter how good/bad we're doing, eventually we will play the Titans to end the season.

What better way to end a regular season than by watching AJ take down Courtland Burned-Again? (through his stats and fists)