PDA

View Full Version : Andre Johnson

TEXANJAK
12-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Couple of more games left.Will Andre get 1,500 yards again?

TheRealJoker
12-05-2010, 08:14 PM
He has 482 yards to go with 4 games left to play. Definitely attainable but achieving 29 catches in the next 4 games is more likely to keep the streak of 100 reception seasons alive. I would like to see him be the first with 100 catches/1500 yards in 3 consecutive seasons :-)

DBCooper
12-05-2010, 08:36 PM
He has 482 yards to go with 4 games left to play. Definitely attainable but achieving 29 catches in the next 4 games is more likely to keep the streak of 100 reception seasons alive. I would like to see him be the first with 100 catches/1500 yards in 3 consecutive seasons :-)

Your girlfriend would like to see the Texans in the playoffs!

Thorn
12-05-2010, 08:36 PM
I'll like to see him get some records also. But I think if you asked AJ, he'd trade those records in to be in the playoffs.

mike moffat
12-05-2010, 08:49 PM
I agree with you Thorn. He's a team player all of the way. I just hate to see him setting all of these records on a team that keeps shooting themselves in the foot.

kiwitexansfan
12-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Your girlfriend would like to see the Texans in the playoffs!

He finally gave up the vow, to the great happiness of the ladies everywhere.

Texan_Bill
12-05-2010, 09:27 PM

While possible, more than likely not gonna happen. It matters not, because he's a fine season, yet again, anyway!!!!

DBCooper
12-05-2010, 11:37 PM
He finally gave up the vow, to the great happiness of the ladies everywhere.

Awwww, I missed that.

That deserved it's own thread.

brakos82
12-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Awwww, I missed that.

That deserved it's own thread.

It had its own thread. :texanbill:

DBCooper
12-05-2010, 11:49 PM
It had its own thread. :texanbill:

I just found it.

I take it back joker, your girlfriend is probably pretty tired now.

TheRealJoker
12-06-2010, 12:15 AM
I just found it.

I take it back joker, your girlfriend is probably pretty tired now.

The ladies of H town were put on notice to stretch thoroughly once that thread was created!!!

mattieuk
12-06-2010, 12:16 AM

Rooting for Andre to keep his records up is the best thing to do with the last few weeks of the season!

Hope he makes it - as soon as (well, if) we are mathematically out of a playoff shot, we should just become the 'Make AJ Make History' football team.

Trap_Star
12-06-2010, 12:17 AM
target him 13-15 times a game and he'll get both 100 receptions and 1500 yards.

Rey
12-06-2010, 12:19 AM
I think the team will probably do their best to get him those yards and those catches.

He deserves it and I think the organization would like to keep him happy.

I think he'll get it...

michaelm
12-18-2010, 12:11 AM
With three games to go, AJ has 1158 yards, needing 352 yards to reach 1500.
That's an average of exactly 114yds per game.
I'd say that it won't necessarily be easy, but I think it's definitely attainable.

Pass Defense Stats For Remaining Opponents:

NFL Rank --------------- Team --------------- Yds/Game

#19 ------------------- Denver --------------- 226.8

#26 ----------------- Tennessee -------------- 244.3

#28 ---------------- Jacksonville ------------- 258.3

In the last game against the Hags, AJ had 146yds.
He only had 56yds against the tacks when they played in Houston, but I have a feeling ha may get a lot of balls thrown his way going up against Innegan... although the Imitation Irishman will again deny that he has ever been asked to cover AJ...
As far as Denver is concerned, they are statistically better than the other two teams against the pass, but in reality they suck at a very high level, and I think they've probably cashed it in for the season at this point...

AJ 1500+ FTW :kingkong:

Dutchrudder
12-18-2010, 01:17 AM
I just hope he doesn't hurt his ankle doing this. The season is over, why risk him for 3 games and a meaningless stat? AJ is our best player going forward, we can't risk losing him.

Runner
12-18-2010, 01:42 AM
Go Andre. Chase the record.

Carr Bombed
12-18-2010, 02:26 AM
I just hope he doesn't hurt his ankle doing this. The season is over, why risk him for 3 games and a meaningless stat? AJ is our best player going forward, we can't risk losing him.

Because we've already wasted 8 years of his career here and he's this generation's Barry Sanders. So if things stay status quo (like Bob is hinting that it will), the HOF will be his only consolation prize for all his hard work and effort and #s such as these are big with HOF voters.

It's not pretty, but it's the truth so far. Go for the gold jacket Andre! If he pulls this off and finishes his career highly productive, he's a lock to become the first Houston Texan enshrined.

gary
12-18-2010, 12:14 PM
AJ does not want to sit out unless he has to. Why should he sit out if he does not want to? He is still paid to play so just let him.

Allstar
12-18-2010, 01:32 PM
You know a fallback goal is to be the first receiver to ever lead the league in yards for 3 consecutive years.

charterTexanfan
12-18-2010, 05:14 PM
A.J. is the real deal. He has more heart and more play in him than anyone else in his position in the NFL. If he wants the ball, and he will, he should be in the game to get it. The season is a wash. If he wants to play to set a couple more records, then throw it to him until he says quit. Even my old lady laughs at the pu$$ys on the sideline with "turf toe" or a sore thumb, or a hangnail, that don'e even suit up for the game. A.J. wants the ball.... give it to him.

gary
12-18-2010, 08:05 PM
The knee injury does not seem to phase him too much.

Lucky
12-23-2010, 12:58 AM
Photo of AJ from ESPN's AFC Blog (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth):

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/1221/nfl_a_ajohnson_576.jpg

Another miraculous comeback wasn't happening in the second half of the Titans' win over the Texans. What do you think Andre Johnson was thinking during this quiet moment?

As bad as I feel about what happened this season, I know this man feels even worse.

Help Andre Johnson become a winner, Mr. NcNair.

Norg
12-23-2010, 03:13 AM
WHo cares i say rest him hes got a bum ankle

MeLoveTexans
12-23-2010, 09:58 AM
WHo cares i say rest him hes got a bum ankle

Im SUerpirsed U arenT asying cut DeEZ guY hez a scrubz :kitten:

Disclaimer: While I realize my username may lead those to believe that this is indeed an actual point I was making, I was having a little tongue-in-cheek humor towards Norg regarding his scrub thread.

gary
12-23-2010, 10:01 AM
AJ wants to play and gets paid to do that. Please.

lostboy
12-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Any time we can get one of our guys in the HOF for a positive thing(3 years 1500+ per year) , DO IT KUBES...

gary
12-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Any time we can get one of our guys in the HOF for a positive thing(3 years 1500+ per year) , DO IT KUBES...
He'd have to have two pretty nice games for this to happen.

Ole Miss Texan
12-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Alright, 2 games remaining and 284 yards to go (142 per game).

Additionally, he's league's 4th leading receiver and is 68 yards behind 1st place. That would be great if he could catch up to that too.

Another interesting fact: He will complete his 8th season in the NFL. 4 of his years with Carr gave him 17 TDs and 3,953 yards (missed 3 games during that span). 4 of his years with Schaub gave him 33 TDs and 5,211 yards to date (missed 8 games during that span and still has 2 more remaining).

infantrycak
12-23-2010, 10:28 AM

He has two different potential firsts.

3 straight 1500 yd seasons - shares two right now with Harrison, or 3 straight league leading seasons - shares two right now with Rice. He'd need two pretty monster games to get to 1500 yds but he is only behind about 60 yds on leading the league.

Koolaid Time
12-23-2010, 10:36 AM

Denver weather for Sunday:

Sunny, clear, High of 54.

Weather won't be a factor.

Brisco_County
12-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Right now I'm getting worried that Andre will even stay with this team in the next couple of years. No one with his talent will spend his entire career with a team that can't even make the playoffs.

gary
12-23-2010, 01:46 PM
I do think he'll have 100 catches once again and probably catch the league leader in yards. Just do not know about him getting to 1500 again.

TheRealJoker
12-23-2010, 01:47 PM
Lets pull out all the stops to get AJ that record. Our Barry Sanders deserves some recognition for his efforts.

rmartin65
12-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Lets pull out all the stops to get AJ that record. Our Barry Sanders deserves some recognition for his efforts.

I was just thinking of that example. At least Barry made it to the playoffs, I believe.

wildroot
12-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Right now I'm getting worried that Andre will even stay with this team in the next couple of years. No one with his talent will spend his entire career with a team that can't even make the playoffs.

He just renegotiated a long term deal this year...I don't think he's going anywhere unless the team choses to trade him and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Farough
12-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Is Brandon Lloyd still ahead of Andre? Probably pull further ahead after Sunday too with our secondary

keyser
12-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Is Brandon Lloyd still ahead of Andre? Probably pull further ahead after Sunday too with our secondary

Yes, in fact Andre's in 4th place. The leaders from NFL.com are:
1. Roddy White ATL 1284
2. Brandon Lloyd DEN 1264
3. Reggie Wayne IND 1247
4. Andre Johnson HOU 1216
5. Calvin Johnson DET 1068

On another note, Matt Schaub is also in 4th with 3807 yards (Peyton Manning is first with 4257), and Arian is currently in 1st place, 21 yards ahead of MJD.

Norg
12-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Im SUerpirsed U arenT asying cut DeEZ guY hez a scrubz :kitten:

Disclaimer: While I realize my username may lead those to believe that this is indeed an actual point I was making, I was having a little tongue-in-cheek humor towards Norg regarding his scrub thread.

AJ ok hes not the Best WR tho

Good WR dang well take there team on there back and dang well make sure they make it to the playoffs or at least take less then 6 years 2 do so

gg no re
12-24-2010, 12:11 AM

Good WR dang well take there team on there back and dang well make sure they make it to the playoffs or at least take less then 6 years 2 do so

for some reason, I wanna say this post was inspired by: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P0yfq2wDvU

JB
12-24-2010, 12:18 AM

Norg, most people that know me know that I stay drunk most of the time. And I have experimented with various recreational drugs with varying results.

At no time have I ever reached a level that would enable me to understand your post(s).

Texan4Ever
12-24-2010, 12:21 AM
for some reason, I wanna say this post was inspired by: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P0yfq2wDvU

LMAO! :spit: :lol:

drs23
12-24-2010, 12:37 AM
AJ ok hes not the Best WR tho Good WR dang well take there team on there back and dang well make sure they make it to the playoffs or at least take less then 6 years 2 do so

Where is the (F)elix (U)nger smiley?

Hervoyel
12-24-2010, 02:14 PM
I really do think it's past time to shut it down for Andre this year. 1500 yards and 100 receptions are great records to have and extend but what are we doing to our best player and/or letting him do to himself for a couple of meaningless wins in a lost season with a (hopefully) lame duck coaching staff?

Sit him down and save him for next year. 2010 was a disaster.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7353303.html

djohn2oo8
12-24-2010, 02:27 PM
Although he is doing everything he can to play against the Denver Broncos on Sunday, there is a good chance receiver Andre Johnson will miss his second game of the season because of an ankle injury.

Johnson disclosed after practice Friday that an MRI this week showed new damage to the high ankle sprain he suffered in the second game of the season.

Johnson, who needs to average 142 yards in the last two games against Denver and Jacksonville to become the first receiver in history to have at least 1,500 in three consecutive seasons, will be a game-time decision.

Im trying to do everything I can to make sure Im out there, pretty much like I have been for weeks, he said. Ive been banging it up for 10 or 11 weeks, and its kind of taken a toll.

I had something happen to it in the Baltimore game. We didnt think it could get any worse, but it has. I had an MRI, and things werent the same. The past few MRIs were the same, but we found some change in this one.

If Johnson cant play, hell be replaced in the lineup by Jacoby Jones (41 catches, 377 yards, three touchdowns), who would start opposite Kevin Walter (47 for 553 and five). Rookie Dorin Dickerson will become the third receiver.

I had the high ankle sprain, and it was in the front part of my ankle, Johnson said. When I got tackled in the Baltimore game, my joint got jammed up, and its affecting me in the back now, kind of like around the Achilles area.

When I run now, I feel more pain than before. Ive been getting a shot the past few games, but I can still feel pain. Theres only so much you can numb up, and they cant numb the joint, and thats whats really starting to bother me really bad.

Johnson ranks third in the NFL with 86 catches and fourth with 1,216 yards. He has eight touchdown receptions.

Were doing all the treatment we can, Johnson said. If it feels good on Sunday, Ill go. If not, I wont.

Johnson played in the 31-17 loss to Tennessee and caught a touchdown pass. Now hes worried about more extensive damage to his ankle.

Its something you have to think about, he said. You dont want to do anything to set yourself back or your team back. You dont want anything crazy to happen where you have to have surgery.

Johnson has followed the same routine he adopted early in the season. He gets treatment during the week and doesnt participate in practice.

He jogged around a little bit today, coach Gary Kubiak said. Well bring him in early (Saturday) and move him around a little bit and see if he (can) go. Ill listen to him.

We had 80-something plays (in a Monday game) against Baltimore, and then we went to Tennessee six days later. I think that stuff has caught up with him. If he can take a shot, and he feels like he can run and play, then hes going to play.

drewmar74
12-24-2010, 02:30 PM
No playoffs = shut AJ down, please.

Lucky
12-24-2010, 02:31 PM

A no-brainer decision. Unless you have a coaching staff and manangement fighting for their jobs. This is where the lack of leadership at the top is evident.

Ryan
12-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Yeah it's time to shut him down. Now time to see what we have in a guy like Dorin Dickerson maybe, probably not alot but we need to give him some real reps.

Ryan
12-24-2010, 02:58 PM

Seriously man, what the *******, just what the ******* :kubepalm::wadepalm:

You're making slatonisabeast sound like Einstein, c'mon man.

ArlingtonTexan
12-24-2010, 03:13 PM
A no-brainer decision. Unless you have a coaching staff and manangement fighting for their jobs. This is where the lack of leadership at the top is evident.

He already has played on it too long, adding two meaningless games with risk of more damage is not the answer.

gary
12-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Does anyone believe that is what AJ wants? I say just leave it up to AJ. The dude is a baller.

texanchris
12-24-2010, 03:25 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Johnson-hopes-to-play-despite-worsened-ankle-injury/1d830149-f9a6-4a17-9f8b-9e5fca5bb9b9?module=HP_headlines

not good, i really hope they sit him our for the season because his ankle is getting worse. No reason for him to keep playing and it will damage his career further down the road.

gary
12-24-2010, 03:41 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Johnson-hopes-to-play-despite-worsened-ankle-injury/1d830149-f9a6-4a17-9f8b-9e5fca5bb9b9?module=HP_headlines

not good, i really hope they sit him our for the season because his ankle is getting worse. No reason for him to keep playing and it will damage his career further down the road.
If he is too injured to go then he should not go.

kiwitexansfan
12-24-2010, 04:03 PM
I am fairly confident AJ wants to play every game, however at some point you have got to put the team first and sit him.

Kubiak will need him to be at his best for the playoff push next year in his make or break year.

Oh and can you imagine the kind of year AJ would have had if he was healthy!?!?!

Hervoyel
12-24-2010, 07:26 PM
I am fairly confident AJ wants to play every game, however at some point you have got to put the team first and sit him.

Kubiak will need him to be at his best for the playoff push next year in his make or break year.

Oh and can you imagine the kind of year AJ would have had if he was healthy!?!?!

This was his make or break year. He broke.

Maddict5
12-24-2010, 09:39 PM
This was his make or break year. He broke.

do you really believe hes going to get fired??

like everyone else, i think kubiak should (and will) shut him down now that the season is definitely done for. the records wouldve been nice for aj but not at this cost. plus id like to see more of dorin as well as jacoby getting more PT to see can he show something worth re-signing him for next yr

...not to mention we should still beat denver without aj

CloakNNNdagger
12-24-2010, 09:56 PM

Watching this whole mess (how AJ's injury has been managed from the beginning) evolve has very much bothered me. The MRI reflects that rather than improving from the initial stretching and tearing injury of the stabilizing ligaments with separation of the joint bones, there has since been progressive stretching and tearing of the previously involved ligaments, now with the stretching and tearing of additional stabilizing ligaments ligaments of the ankle. This means even more destabilization of the ankle with further separation of the bones in the ankle. The next thing to look forward to is a fracture, maybe even with an accompanying Achilles tendon rupture. All of this, as I've posted before, is entirely predicatable.

Just like a wobbly wheel on an axle (because our feet are essentially our "wheels") cannot take the normal weight it is expected to support when it is stable, it doesn't take too much weight before it snaps................and given a relatively short period of stress, it WILL snap.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_JCCgPJG1P98/TNjZEJgCGKI/AAAAAAAADA8/JYbGCV3r8GU/s1600/PB020041.JPG

alphajoker
12-25-2010, 09:18 AM
As much as I'd like to see him get 1,500 yds this year and set a new NFL, this info on the severity of his ankle sprain makes me want the Texans to IR him. He's way too valuable to keep on the field and possibly worsen his injury.

bckey
12-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Any decision other than sitting Andre out is absolutely selfish, stupid and short sighted. The only reason I can possibly think of for Kubiak to play Andre today would be to try and save his job. It makes no sense in a meaningless game to risk further injury to your best player. I hope playing Andre today is just pregame smoke and not really true.

SheTexan
12-26-2010, 12:44 PM
It really does NOT matter what all you debbie downers think!!! AJ is a true warrior, and warriors fight to the end!! Since most of you THINK playing the Broncs is a piece of cake, and a sure fired win, then why worry about AJ? If AJ wants to play then I say LET HIM!!! He has never let his team down, and I don't look for him to do that today! He'll be just fine!!

Kimmy
12-26-2010, 12:52 PM
It really does NOT matter what all you debbie downers think!!! AJ is a true warrior, and warriors fight to the end!! Since most of you THINK playing the Broncs is a piece of cake, and a sure fired win, then why worry about AJ? If AJ wants to play then I say LET HIM!!! He has never let his team down, and I don't look for him to do that today! He'll be just fine!!

It's not about the TEAM, it's about HIM -- You don't risk further injury by playing someone like this. I love AJ just as much as everyone does, I do not agree with the "Debbie Downer" analogy, it's doing what makes sense as there is NOTHING to gain by him playing.

He should not be out there today.

If this is his decision, coaches and trainers should be smart/strong enough to say no. If they don't, it adds to the whole litany of reasons they should be replaced. Period.

CloakNNNdagger
12-26-2010, 12:55 PM

I can appreciate your fervor in this matter, but the type of injury (high ankle sprain) progressing to apparent involvement of the lower ankle joint ligaments can turn quickly from a potentially successful conservative rehabilitation regimen to an unpredictable surgical complication.

disaacks3
12-26-2010, 01:05 PM
I really do think it's past time to shut it down for Andre this year. 1500 yards and 100 receptions are great records to have and extend but what are we doing to our best player and/or letting him do to himself for a couple of meaningless wins in a lost season with a (hopefully) lame duck coaching staff?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7353303.html I say, lert it be AJ's decision, it's HIS legacy he's playing for after all...if we're never going to let him sniff the playoffs, then let him reach personal marks.

Oh and can you imagine the kind of year AJ would have had if he was healthy!?!?! As above, let it be AJ's call.

I can appreciate your fervor in this matter, but the type of injury (high ankle sprain) progressing to apparent involvement of the lower ankle joint ligaments can turn quickly from a potentially successful conservative rehabilitation regimen to an unpredictable surgical complication. I think AJ should be given all relavent , pertinent information about his injury and the risks....then let him make the call. If he should happen to meet those two aforementioned goals, then he's a 1st ballot HoF'er (Texans first) and he gets in whether or not the team ever makes it to the post-season.

Honestly - He ought to talk with McNair. If McNair is keeping Kubiak, then the impetus for personal marks becomes all that more imperative.

CloakNNNdagger
12-26-2010, 01:46 PM
I say, lert it be AJ's decision, it's HIS legacy he's playing for after all...if we're never going to let him sniff the playoffs, then let him reach personal marks.

As above, let it be AJ's call.

I think AJ should be given all relavent , pertinent information about his injury and the risks....then let him make the call. If he should happen to meet those two aforementioned goals, then he's a 1st ballot HoF'er (Texans first) and he gets in whether or not the team ever makes it to the post-season.

Honestly - He ought to talk with McNair. If McNair is keeping Kubiak, then the impetus for personal marks becomes all that more imperative.

Last week, AJ's performance was far from stellar except for maybe one play.......with all of his heavy wraps AND anesthetic injections. Those measures are less likely to serve him even halfway as effectively considering his newly revealed condition. I don't think I'd be as cavalier to send him out for a game in which his condition makes it highly unlikely to allow him to pick up adequate stats AND significantly increases his chances for a definitive surgical injury.

texanchris
12-26-2010, 02:40 PM
I have AJ on my fantasy team and apparently hes inactive today.

Ryan
12-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Inactive

http://houston.sbnation.com/houston-texans/2010/12/26/1896963/andre-johnson-inactive

disaacks3
12-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Last week, AJ's performance was far from stellar except for maybe one play.......with all of his heavy wraps AND anesthetic injections. Those measures are less likely to serve him even halfway as effectively considering his newly revealed condition. I don't think I'd be as cavalier to send him out for a game in which his condition makes it highly unlikely to allow him to pick up adequate stats AND significantly increases his chances for a definitive surgical injury. Honestly, I'm NOT being cavalier about it at all. This man has trained and practiced all his life to be one of the best in the game. He's an adult and should be given ALL the facts about his injury and it's likelihood for both temporary / permanent disability.

I didn't want him injured now or in the future, but it's happened anyway. At some point, just like any patient, you have to give him all the facts and leave the decision to him.

I don't want him to go out if it's not worth it to HIM, period.

texanchris
12-26-2010, 03:13 PM
jacoby jones is starting for AJ, Dickerson is the 3rd WR so hopefully we will see more of him.

CloakNNNdagger
12-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Honestly, I'm NOT being cavalier about it at all. This man has trained and practiced all his life to be one of the best in the game. He's an adult and should be given ALL the facts about his injury and it's likelihood for both temporary / permanent disability.

I didn't want him injured now or in the future, but it's happened anyway. At some point, just like any patient, you have to give him all the facts and leave the decision to him.

I don't want him to go out if it's not worth it to HIM, period.

"Medical decisions must always take priority over competitive concerns," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said when introducing the initiatives.

Things are different in private practice. We make recommendations from reasonable options based on "first do no harm." If the patient chooses to proceed contra to the recommendations, he can do so without that physician controlling his actions. In that case, most conscientious physicians will suggest transfer of care. In the NFL, players MUST get permission to play from both their team physician and coach. If the physician and coach want to play with the rules like they did freely in the past with obvious concussions, that says volumes about that physician and coach.

CloakNNNdagger
12-28-2010, 12:04 PM
A look inside the well thought out algorithm leading to the Texans "sound" medical decisions.:kubepalm:

Injury update (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/7355864.html)

Last week, the Texans said they hoped receiver Andre Johnson could play but would be a game-time decision. He was inactive because of the ankle injury that has plagued him since the second game.

After the game, Matt Schaub said they knew Johnson wouldn't play.

"Maybe Matt knew that," coach Gary Kubiak said. "He (Johnson) normally taps me on the shoulder and says, 'I'm OK,' so I was waiting on it. It didn't happen."

CloakNNNdagger
12-31-2010, 12:27 PM
I can't do anything but shake my head anymore.

12/30/10 From HoustonTexans.com after AJ has not practiced Wednesday and Thursday.

(on if he’s going to follow the advice of doctors to determine to play this weekend or follow his gut) “It will be a little bit of both, but I have the final say-so and we’ll go from there.”

Houston Texans star wide receiver Andre Johnson remains a question mark for the regular-season finale against the Jacksonville Jaguars due to a high-ankle sprain and an Achilles' problem.

He might practice Friday.

“It’s like I said last week, I hope he’s beating me up to play this week. But obviously it’s worse than it has been. I can tell you Friday," Texans coach Gary Kubiak said in remarks distributed by the team. "As of today, there is still nothing. It’s strictly up to him. He can either do it or he can’t. We will do nothing to set him back, for sure."link (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Andre-Johnsons-status-up-in-the-air.html)

...................RRRIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHHHTTTTT TTTT!!!!

barrett
12-31-2010, 02:16 PM
The best wide receiver in football got screwed. Andre Johnson is at the peak of his career. Better than any wide receiver in the NFL, Johnson was able to perform at a higher level on one foot than all but 3 wide receivers in the NFL. Andre currently has 1216 receiving yards. The next closest receiver, Greg Jennings has 1,168. Johnson has missed two games this season due to a high ankle sprain. Had he been able to play out the season, #80 would have become the first player in history to amass 1500 yards in 3 consecutive seasons. His career is headed down a path to greatness. Statistically, Andre Johnson is on pace to have a better career than any WR in football except for Jerry Rice. It's a career that mirrors that of the great Dan Marino. The greatest QB to ever - never - win the big one.

Johnson quietly demanded a raise this past off season to insure that he would be the highest paid WR in football. The team ran to the negotiating table ready to oblige him. They did exactly what they should have. Andre Johnson stands for everything good about not just the NFL, but about people doing things the right way and being rewarded for it. But is it really fair to him to justify his greatness with a fatter check? Nobody will care about how much Andre Johnson was paid to play football. Guys like Albert Haynesworth may be remembered for something so frivolous but that just stands to prove the kind of person Fat Albert was. I speak of him in the past tense because he checked out the day he signed on the dotted line.

You can read the rest of the story at Texans Bull Blog (http://www.texansbullblog.com/andre-johnsons-future/news/)

Seor Stan
12-31-2010, 02:26 PM
The best wide receiver in football got screwed.
Pffft...Please (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfnujUPUnkU) [/OzzieGuillen]

Andre in no way has been screwed. He signed an ill advised extension that the Texans reworked to make him one of the highest paid players in the NFL.

He was even responsible for the interception on the final drive of the San Diego game. Every member of the team has been involved in the parade of suck that was 2010.

J_R
12-31-2010, 02:34 PM
Texans wide receiver (http://topics.chron.com/topics/Wide_receiver) Andre Johnson (http://topics.chron.com/topics/Andre_Johnson) disclosed today that he will have arthroscopic surgery (http://topics.chron.com/topics/Arthroscopy) on his right ankle next week.

Johnson will miss Sunday's regular-season finale against Jacksonville (http://topics.chron.com/topics/Jacksonville,_Florida) with what has been described as a high ankle sprain (http://topics.chron.com/topics/High_ankle_sprain) he suffered in the second game of the season in Washington.

Johnson, who was just named to his fifth Pro Bowl (http://topics.chron.com/topics/Pro_Bowl), finishes the season with 86 catches for 1,216 yards and eight touchdowns.

Dr. Kevin Varner the director of Director of Orthopedic Services at The Methodist Hospital (http://topics.chron.com/topics/The_Methodist_Hospital), will perform the surgery. Varner is recognized as one of the foremost foot specialists in the country.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7361099.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Ftopheadlin es+%28chron.com+-+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=Twitter

Lucky
12-31-2010, 02:39 PM
You can read the rest of the story at Texans Bull Blog (http://www.texansbullblog.com/andre-johnsons-future/news/)
barett, you guys have been allowed to self-promote your site all year. But, this is just absurd. And there's enough absurdity coming from the Texans, as is.

Grams
12-31-2010, 02:59 PM
barett, you guys have been allowed to self-promote your site all year. But, this is just absurd. And there's enough absurdity coming from the Texans, as is.

Getting a little tired of reading half the post then having to go to a different site to read the rest.

Do you just like the free advertising for your site or are we just not worthy of the whole article?

CloakNNNdagger
12-31-2010, 03:19 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7361099.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Ftopheadlin es+%28chron.com+-+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=Twitter

Andre's injury progressed to intra-articular (inside the joint) as predictable by his continued play. It progressed from a problem that iinvolved only the stretching of high ligaments, to that causing lower ligament tearing or detatching, to gross instability of the ankle joint and it's associated inflammation and grinding and deforming and even possibly fracture of the joint surfaces. Proper initial conservative treatment woulld have been foremost in avoiding further damage and need for surgery. AJ has been "screwed" with decisions made by everyone involved......including AJ himself.

rmartin65
12-31-2010, 03:41 PM
AJ has been "screwed" with decisions made by everyone involved......including AJ himself.

I have to give Andre a pass on this though. He is not a medical professional. His medical knowledge probably goes no further than an anatomy class in college or high school. It is the responsibility of the team doctors to hold out players if they are injured, regardless of what the players think or want.

CretorFrigg
12-31-2010, 04:31 PM
Now he needs surgery...

This could've been prevented. We have a terrible medical staff.

barrett
12-31-2010, 06:02 PM

In my defense, if you will allow it, I started this story two days ago when the idea of Kubiak being gone and Rick Smith being retained were very real possibilities. I had to alter some things here and there to make it relevant in lieu of today's "information". If Bob McNair were to blow the whole thing up and start over, I don't see how the notion that Andre might want to go somewhere else is that absurd. But I appreciate the commentary as well as you guys allowing us to post the stories here. I have always felt that TT is the only place where you can find truly knowledgeable Texans fans. I've learned as much from you guys as anywhere.

Getting a little tired of reading half the post then having to go to a different site to read the rest.

Do you just like the free advertising for your site or are we just not worthy of the whole article?

It's a blog. We want you guys to read all of the material. The partial stories are what is called a teaser. Do you ever wonder why television shows go to commercial right before you find out whodunnit? You are welcome to read the whole story if it interests you. If not, you don't have too. We don't post everything we write on Texans Talk, just the things that we think will garner more discussion. We've tried to offer a pretty heavy serving of information for the Texans fan and I'm always interested in any feedback. Dale and I put a ton of effort into this and we want to be the best source for Texans coverage. We're not selling anything to anybody. We don't get any money from the ads. It goes to the webmaster. We do all of it for free and at the expense of our own bank accounts. We are just fans. Rabid, emotional fans! Thank you for reading.

Go Texans!

DerekLee1
12-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Now he needs surgery...

This could've been prevented. We have a terrible medical staff.

We don't know what the staff told him. What we do know is that AJ is a competitor and if the docs told him he MAY make it worse by playing - and the playoffs are still a possibility - dude's gonna play. Once we were out of contention he sat.

Grams
12-31-2010, 06:23 PM
It's a blog. We want you guys to read all of the material. The partial stories are what is called a teaser. Do you ever wonder why television shows go to commercial right before you find out whodunnit? You are welcome to read the whole story if it interests you. If not, you don't have too. We don't post everything we write on Texans Talk, just the things that we think will garner more discussion. We've tried to offer a pretty heavy serving of information for the Texans fan and I'm always interested in any feedback. Dale and I put a ton of effort into this and we want to be the best source for Texans coverage. We're not selling anything to anybody. We don't get any money from the ads. It goes to the webmaster. We do all of it for free and at the expense of our own bank accounts. We are just fans. Rabid, emotional fans! Thank you for reading.

Go Texans!

I only frequent a few sites - not looking for anymore to browse through. Would rather you just posted the whole thing here, rather than having to click on the link to go to another site to finish reading.

Don't watch much TV and when I do, I usually DVR it so I can cut through all the commercials. Hate "teasers".

barrett
12-31-2010, 06:39 PM
I only frequent a few sites - not looking for anymore to browse through. Would rather you just posted the whole thing here, rather than having to click on the link to go to another site to finish reading.

Don't watch much TV and when I do, I usually DVR it so I can cut through all the commercials. Hate "teasers".

I understand. Thank you for your comments. Please let me or Dale know if you have any other suggestions on how you think we could make Texans Bull Blog better.

CloakNNNdagger
12-31-2010, 07:53 PM
We don't know what the staff told him. What we do know is that AJ is a competitor and if the docs told him he MAY make it worse by playing - and the playoffs are still a possibility - dude's gonna play. Once we were out of contention he sat.

Just one problem with that. He should have been told that it WILL make it worse........and, as the team physicians and coaches have the final say, the decision to play should have been taken out of his hands.

thunderkyss
01-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Johnson has followed the same routine he adopted early in the season. He gets treatment during the week and doesn’t participate in practice.

I know this is supposed to be about Andre, but I wonder how much this affects our slow starts.... Andre doesn't practice??

So how are we managing practice? Do we throw Jacoby Jones in Andre's place at practice, then pull him on game day, or make him run different routes on game day?

Judging from our earlier start in the Denver game, & Jacoby's great (very good??) game, I would lean towards this being the case.

What we should have been doing was put Dickerson in Andre's spot, let Jacoby practice at his regular spot. If Andre couldn't make a game, Dickerson goes out there.... or we run more plays designed around Jacoby & Walter being the 1 & 2 option.

We've been out of sync all year, & I bet this is part of the reason why.

The dumb sumbsabyatches........

thunderkyss
01-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Watching this whole mess (how AJ's injury has been managed from the beginning) evolve has very much bothered me.

All of this, as I've posted before, is entirely predicatable.

So you think having him play with a brace was a bad idea? Do you think the brace was not made properly? Couldn't be made properly? If made properly would have prevented any further damage?

thunderkyss
01-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Any decision other than sitting Andre out is absolutely selfish, stupid and short sighted. The only reason I can possibly think of for Kubiak to play Andre today would be to try and save his job. It makes no sense in a meaningless game to risk further injury to your best player. I hope playing Andre today is just pregame smoke and not really true.

I would think they would have to look at the brace he's been wearing... somehow, for some reason it failed. That needs to be fixed first & foremost. If they can't do anything about the brace, he doesn't play, no matter what.

If I were King.

If the "experts" come up with a better brace, & Andre wants to play, he plays.

thunderkyss
01-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Just one problem with that. He should have been told that it WILL make it worse........and, as the team physicians and coaches have the final say, the decision to play should have been taken out of his hands.

Let's say we sat him after week 2.

How long would it have taken him to recover enough to play football? 6 weeks?

So we would have got him back at 100% after the bye week?

CloakNNNdagger
01-01-2011, 02:37 PM
So you think having him play with a brace was a bad idea? Do you think the brace was not made properly? Couldn't be made properly? If made properly would have prevented any further damage?

I would think they would have to look at the brace he's been wearing... somehow, for some reason it failed. That needs to be fixed first & foremost. If they can't do anything about the brace, he doesn't play, no matter what.

If I were King.

If the "experts" come up with a better brace, & Andre wants to play, he plays.

Let's say we sat him after week 2.

How long would it have taken him to recover enough to play football? 6 weeks?

So we would have got him back at 100% after the bye week?

The manufacture or the fit of the brace has very little to do with the outcome of AJ's season. What people don't tend to realize is that the bracing studies for ankle injuries are for PREVENTION of ankle injuries which account for over 15% of lost time in the NFL. Many of the studies are on athletes that have never sustained a PREVIOUS ankle sprain.

Nevertheless, there still have been mixed results, with most studies showing an advantage to wearing a brace to PREVENT ankle sprains and DECREASING the incidence of re-injury if worn when returning to play AFTER AN ADEQUATE REHAB.

Dez Bryant was out with right high ankle sprain for over 6 weeks, still continuing to have problems with that ankle, along with compensatory injury problems to his other ankle and hip joints due to the expected "favoring" of his right ankle. Even though there were some extenuating circumstances to his recent fracture, it involved one of the bones (fibula) that shows instability due to weakness/stretching in high ankle sprains. This no doubt was a contributing factor.

Keep in mind also that a high ankle sprain is a unique animal compared to the more common typical lateral/medial ankle sprains. It is not an foot eversion (like a tire "toe-out") or a foot inversion (tire "to-in") injury. It is a twisting of the foot outwardly actually from the knee down. Think of it as a person that has no coordination with chopsticks (the chopsticks being equivalent to the fibula and tibia, the 2 parallel bones running from the knee to the ankle joint) and the chop sticks won't stay together, and keep on twisting and losing that tasty morsel of food on the other end. To fully prevent the fibula and tibia from twisting, a brace would also necessarily extend above the knee joint. Obviously, that isn't practical nor applicable to a football player.

The bottom line is AJ was not allowed to rest or rehab properly before being thown or "allowed" (whichever may be the case) out there again. It is a testament to AJ's pain tolerance and commitment to his team that he was able to perform as well as he did, although, I guarantee you we would have seen comparitively "superhuman" performance had he been rehabbed appropriately.

I am just hoping now that his joint has not sustained enough additional damage that his future potential is compromised.

This was ADDED to McClain's article (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7361099.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Ftopheadlin es+%28chron.com+-+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=Twitter)AFTER HoustonSportsFan09 originally posted it.

“Because I kept playing on it, some things like loose particles developed in there, and now I’m going to get them cleaned out,” Johnson said.
“I’m definitely not happy about it,” he said about having to miss three games," Johnson said. “The biggest thing was just being smart about the situation. The best thing I felt was for me not to be out there to have something else bad happen or me re-injure the ankle like I’ve been doing the whole season.”

Maddict5
01-01-2011, 03:34 PM
the long term prognosis is fine for AJ so im not bothered about it

nfl players get paid so much to suck it up for those few months & aj's not the only one. he had no problem doing it either i might add so how is this an issue?

CloakNNNdagger
01-01-2011, 04:05 PM
the long term prognosis is fine for AJ so im not bothered about it

nfl players get paid so much to suck it up for those few months & aj's not the only one. he had no problem doing it either i might add so how is this an issue?

I'm glad that you are not bothered by it.

With arthroscopy for "loose particles" floating around in the joint (which are usually secondary to cartilage fragments breaking off or secondary to stress fractures through the joint), there are not infrequently long term consequences. Prospective studies have shown that the average return to sports at a professional level was approximately 4 months. But at 2 years, only approximately 75% of elite athletes were playing at preinjury level of performance.

It is an issue.

Maddict5
01-01-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm glad that you are not bothered by it.

With arthroscopy for "loose particles" floating around in the joint (which are usually secondary to cartilage fragments breaking off or secondary to stress fractures through the joint), there are not infrequently long term consequences. Prospective studies have shown that the average return to sports at a professional level was approximately 4 months. But at 2 years, only approximately 75% of elite athletes were playing at preinjury level of performance.

It is an issue.

we'll agree to disagree i guess

players get parts including ankles cleaned out all the time and nearly always come back just as good. last yr it was chris myers, this yr it was AJ & next yr it will be someone else

CloakNNNdagger
01-01-2011, 06:38 PM
we'll agree to disagree i guess

players get parts including ankles cleaned out all the time and nearly always come back just as good. last yr it was chris myers, this yr it was AJ & next yr it will be someone else

Myers didn't have an ankle clean out for his high ankle sprain. And, if he had, you can't compare an OC who may run at best 10 yds and usually less than 2, and does not do any jumping or acute cutting in top speed.......to a WR who's stresses on the ankle are immense in every aspect of his play.

The ankle joint cartilage is the thinnest of all the lower extremity joint cartilages, despite the fact the ankle joint withstands more stress than any of the other joints of the body. Once the ankle joint cartilage surface is worn or chipped away, as appears to be in the case of AJ, the 25% number that don't ever come back "good as new" becomes more of a possibility. In cases of cartilage damage, if significant, consideration for further surgery such as grafting or microsurgery is the next thing in line.......neither option carries as benign a prognosis as the initial intervention.

Lucky
01-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Myers didn't have an ankle clean out for his high ankle sprain. And, if he had, you can't compare an OC who may run at best 10 yds and usually less than 2, and does not do any jumping or acute cutting in top speed......
He can argue with a medical doctor over injury prognosis. Because if the Texans say it's OK, then it's OK with him. The Texans are right on everything CND because....they're the Texans.

thunderkyss
01-01-2011, 08:29 PM
He can argue with a medical doctor over injury prognosis. Because if the Texans say it's OK, then it's OK with him. The Texans are right on everything CND because....they're the Texans.

To be fair, the Texans also use a staff of medical doctors.. those guys argue, & don't agree all the time.

Lucky
01-01-2011, 08:33 PM
To be fair, the Texans also use a staff of medical doctors.. those guys argue, & don't agree all the time.
You might want to review the history of the Texans medical staff in regards to injury prognosis (Boselli, Spencer, Domanick Davis, etc.).

Maddict5
01-01-2011, 08:54 PM

it has nothing to do with what the texans are 'telling' me. its based on the huge amount of players that have played through high ankle sprains/had minor clean up scopes during a season in their career. is it painful? yes. does it limit performance playing with it? most times yes

have you ever heard of a player having a poor season/never regained form because he suffered an ankle sprain the previous yr?! i know everythings terrible with the texans right now but i cant say im worried about this ankle sprain or clean up scope being the end of AJ as we know him

..and hindsight is on my side in this case

CloakNNNdagger
01-01-2011, 08:55 PM

FYI. The specialists that are called in to evaluate or operate can make recommendations. However, it is the team doctor along with the coaches that makes the final decisions. If there is conflict ,it will usually be between the specialist's recommendation and the team's course of action. I know, as I acted as the surgical specialist on some Oilers players' cases in the past.

steelbtexan
01-01-2011, 09:56 PM
The Texans team Dr.'s are responsible for this and if this was the real world would be held liable for their actions.

The fact that team Dr.'s let Andre play knowing that it would only make his injury worse tells me that Kubiak carries alot of weight when it comes to them letting players play injured. Bottom line is this if Dr's had done their job properly Andre wouldn't be having this surgery.

As anybody that has had several ankle sprains will tell you. If you dont take care of the 1st one properly. There will be more and worse sprains in the future. I'm speaking from 1st hand knowlege. The price I currently pay for my young tuff guy routine is my ankles are very weak today and I have to be very careful in what I do. Also I believe these injuries have contributed to me getting gout. Because it is in the joint that was sprained many times yrs ago.

JB
01-01-2011, 10:11 PM
The Texans team Dr.'s are responsible for this and if this was the real world would be held liable for their actions.

The fact that team Dr.'s let Andre play knowing that it would only make his injury worse tells me that Kubiak carries alot of weight when it comes to them letting players play injured. Bottom line is this if Dr's had done their job properly Andre wouldn't be having this surgery.

As anybody that has had several ankle sprains will tell you. If you dont take care of the 1st one properly. There will be more and worse sprains in the future. I'm speaking from 1st hand knowlege. The price I currently pay for my young tuff guy routine is my ankles are very weak today and I have to be very careful in what I do. Also I believe these injuries have contributed to me getting gout. Because it is in the joint that was sprained many times yrs ago.

nevermind

steelbtexan
01-01-2011, 10:15 PM
nevermind

Or maybe the Texans team Dr.'s just suck.

Think about them letting Tate walk off the field with a broken ankle.

JB
01-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Or maybe the Texans team Dr.'s just suck.

Think about them letting Tate walk off the field with a broken ankle.

That's what I was thinking. And it is the same doctor's that kept telling us that Boselli would be fine and that DD would recover and that Spencer would be back as good as ever.

I don't think Kubiak has anything to do with this one...

CloakNNNdagger
01-01-2011, 11:27 PM
it has nothing to do with what the texans are 'telling' me. its based on the huge amount of players that have played through high ankle sprains/had minor clean up scopes during a season in their career. is it painful? yes. does it limit performance playing with it? most times yes

have you ever heard of a player having a poor season/never regained form because he suffered an ankle sprain the previous yr?! i know everythings terrible with the texans right now but i cant say im worried about this ankle sprain or clean up scope being the end of AJ as we know him

..and hindsight is on my side in this case

ATARI BIGBY (http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100805/PKR01/100805142/Green-Bay-Packers-S-Atari-Bigby-to-have-surgery-on-left-ankle)(GB's safety)-ignored and played thru ankle sprain, surgeries, decline in performance, recurrent problems, can't keep on the field, further decline in performance.

August 5, 2010
Not only did he not get the contact extension and raise he was seeking — he actually lost money — he’s now in danger of being on the shelf when the regular season opens in 37 days.

That’s because he is scheduled to have surgery on his balky left ankle at noon Friday in Charlotte, N.C.

Bigby said Thursday he believes recovery time will last no more than a month, but it’s starting to look like he won’t be the Green Bay Packers’ starting strong safety when the season opens Sept. 12 at Philadelphia.

Now, he’s a candidate to start the season on the physically unable to perform list, which means he would miss at least the first six games, if not land on season-ending injured reserve.

“Any time you go in for surgery, I think you should be concerned,” Bigby said before departing for North Carolina. “But from what I’ve been hearing, it shouldn’t end my season. I should be ready to go, so I’m optimistic about that.”

Dr. Robert Anderson will perform the surgery. He also did the more extensive microfracture procedure on Bigby late in 2008 after he tried to play that season on a sore left ankle that he first injured in a preseason game. Bigby said today’s surgery is expected to be only a scope to remove scar tissue.

The latest ankle problem was exposed last Friday, when Bigby felt soreness after running in the team’s mandatory conditioning test before the start of training camp. Safeties coach Darren Perry said Bigby passed the test. However, doctors failed Bigby on his physical because of the ankle problem.

This is from another piece telling in detail how injuries are hidden by clubs, and players are told to shut up about significant injuries and play while their injuries progress. It is worth reading in its entirety.: Code of silence seems to hurt players twice (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-trippintuesday0602)

This one is specific to Bigby and the minimizing of his ankle sprain injury.: Bigby set to forget poor '08
Injuries hampered his effectiveness (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/46555097.html)
May 30, 2009

Green Bay - With a 4-inch thick playbook bursting with opportunity tucked under his right arm, Atari Bigby tried to calm himself.

For the first time in months, I'm nearly healthy.

Deep breath.

I'm going to play the same position as Troy Polamalu of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Deep breath.

I'm on the cusp of being a big-time playmaker in this league.

Deep breath.

Yes, it's enough to make a guy get too far ahead of himself, which is exactly why the Green Bay Packers' strong safety was making like a yoga student.

"Listen, I'm going to have fun," Bigby said Thursday. "I'm going to have fun in this defense and I'm so excited. I'm just trying to be calm right now just because of this season I'm coming off. That was a humbling season."

That might be an understatement.

After spending most of two seasons on the Packers' practice squad, Bigby finally got a chance to play in 2007. He responded by starting all 16 games (plus two in the playoffs), finishing third on the team with 121 tackles and second with 95 solo takedowns.

Most figured that season would provide the launching point for a breakout '08 campaign for the physical tone setter on the Packers' defense.

But after spraining his ankle in the third exhibition game, Bigby's season devolved into an injury-filled mess. He only played in seven games (six starts). When he did play, he was torched by running backs and burned by receivers.

But he was battered. More so than anybody outside the Packers knew.

"You guys don't even know how bad it was," Bigby said. "But it was something serious. But I wasn't at liberty to explain it."

The Packers, like many National Football League teams, do not like their players talking about the extent of their injuries.

If an opponent knew Bigby's ankle was the ailment that gave him problems all season - more than the hamstring and shoulder injuries that were also put on the injury report - they might alter their game plans to take advantage.

According to the injury reports the Packers filed with the league, Bigby's ankle was only a problem in Week 1 and Week 13. A hamstring injury against Detroit in Week 3 kept him out of the next five games. A shoulder injury was listed as his injury in Weeks 14 and 15 when he did not play.

He was not listed as injured during Weeks 9-12, so he was presumed to be completely healthy.

But he wound up being benched at times in Week 10 (at Minnesota) and Week 12 (at New Orleans) because injuries left him ineffective.

Even when he was placed on injured reserve Dec. 18, the reason stated in the team's press release was a shoulder injury.

Eight days later he had ankle surgery in Charlotte, N.C.

Often, the gray areas left open to teams by the injury report policy can lead to the wrong impression of a player.

"In some ways but you know what, I think if you know a player then you just trust that whoa, that's not the same guy. You know what I mean?" Bigby said. "And the whole season last year, I mean from Game 1 on, that wasn't me. But I try to be a team player and I stuck it out for them even through the pain. I wanted to show them that I was there for them."

Bigby would not say if he had an issue with the way the Packers handled his injury.

"I might go down taking the blame and I might look like a bad player for it but that's me, you know what I mean? That's the way I handle my business," Bigby said. "When I have a guy's back, I've got your back."

Soon, Bigby is going to have his injury woes fully behind him. When that happens, he'll be able to assert himself as a playmaking machine in the mold of Polamalu, who has thrived in Pittsburgh's similar scheme.

It's a role Bigby seems perfect for.

"I think we want to get Atari back to 2007 and that's his goal," said safeties coach Darren Perry, who tutored Polamalu with the Steelers. "He's eager to get back out there, but he knows he has to be a little bit patient and not rush it. Our goal is to get him back to that form and get him comfortable in this system so he can go out and show what kind of player he's going to be."

Until then, Bigby's going to be taking a lot of deep breaths.

"I don't want to talk about what I think or whatever," Bigby said. "I just want to go out and play when it's time."

Maddict5
01-02-2011, 12:20 AM
ATARI BIGBY (http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100805/PKR01/100805142/Green-Bay-Packers-S-Atari-Bigby-to-have-surgery-on-left-ankle)(GB's safety)-ignored and played thru ankle sprain, surgeries, decline in performance, recurrent problems, can't keep on the field, further decline in performance.

August 5, 2010

This is from another piece telling in detail how injuries are hidden by clubs, and players are told to shut up about significant injuries and play while their injuries progress. It is worth reading in its entirety.: Code of silence seems to hurt players twice (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-trippintuesday0602)

This one is specific to Bigby and the minimizing of his ankle sprain injury.: Bigby set to forget poor '08
Injuries hampered his effectiveness (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/46555097.html)

hey if aj was having MICROFRACTURE surgery like bigby did because of the injury, id be livid with the texans & scared ****less for aj.

hes not. its an ordinary, plain scope. lets not make mountains out of molehills.

CloakNNNdagger
01-02-2011, 12:47 AM
hey if aj was having MICROFRACTURE surgery like bigby did because of the injury, id be livid with the texans & scared ****less for aj.

hes not. its an ordinary, plain scope. lets not make mountains out of molehills.

However it turns out, the outcome of playing with AJ's injury can be as likely or not, the same as for Bigby, moreso with floating debris. If it turns out that he is in the "lucky" 75% group, at that point in time, I will be very happy and relievedI'm glad that you are so clairevoyant that you know to be livid or not at this point. I know some othopedic clinics that would love to have you on staff. They could forget the diagnostics and go right to definitive treatment. A scope, besides removing free floating particles, is how you accurately determine the condition of the joint surfaces and if a patient is likely to need contouring, grafting or microfracture surgery or not.....now or in a case of continued significant symptoms or reinjury.