PDA

View Full Version : Give Credit to the O-Line

m5kwatts
12-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Other than the Giants and Cowboys game, the offensive line has been the most productive consistent unit on this team. They're the best ZBS team in the league and they've added power runs into the arsenal as well.

Arian Foster is a great instinctive ZBS back yes, but this offensive line has been there with him the whole way paving the way for his big year.

In previous years this o-line's smallness seemed to be the biggest thing holding it back, but this year the group's athleticism and speed has proven to be a distinct advantage.

Just go back and watch the Chargers game. The Chargers were 1st in the league in every defensive category going into that game and the Texans o-line chopped up their front seven. Pass blocking, run blocking, screens, it was great to see.

When this team has a whole new staff next year (I assume/hope/pray for), I don't think a major offensive line overhaul is necessary. And I think that's one of the most attractive aspects of the Texans' head coaching job.

dream_team
12-05-2010, 12:59 PM
I was just recently thinking... no Chris Meyers suck threads this season.

Ryan
12-05-2010, 01:06 PM
I was just recently thinking... no Chris Meyers suck threads this season.

must be the overtraining. :kubepalm:

Rey
12-05-2010, 01:52 PM
O-line has been good this season.

That said, if there is a dominant lineman available via draft or Free agency I would pick them up.

houstonspartan
12-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Overall, I'm not a fan of Zone Blocking, but you are correct. The O-Line has been a bright spot in this Twilight Zone season.

burro
12-05-2010, 02:28 PM
In general the o-line has done pretty well. I'm not high on Mike Brisiel, but over all I think the o-line is fine as is. Now, if Kubiak and Co. are sent packing, will the ZBS go with them? I think that would be a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water. The implementation of the ZBS is not why Kubiak and Co. need to go.

m5kwatts
12-05-2010, 02:40 PM
In general the o-line has done pretty well. I'm not high on Mike Brisiel, but over all I think the o-line is fine as is. Now, if Kubiak and Co. are sent packing, will the ZBS go with them? I think that would be a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water. The implementation of the ZBS is not why Kubiak and Co. need to go.

I agree. The Texans haven't even been the pure ZBS team they were the previous years. They've been running a lot of power runs this year and have been successful at it.

I don't think there's an offense in the NFL that doesn't run atleast a handful of ZBS runs a game, I think it just depends on what you're better at. We're good at both so I think the o-line will survive a regime change. I even think it's one of the most attractive things about our roster.

IDEXAN
12-05-2010, 03:14 PM
The key for the Oline this year has been injuries, or I should say a lack of really serious injury. LT Browns 4-week suspension was the only significant absense as I recall ? I think we're set here for awhile, fairly young line with the most important position at tackle with Brown & Winston just now coming into prime age for Olineman.

fiasco west
12-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Agreed, I think the RG spot can be improved but Texans have MANY other problems on offense (A legit #2 WR...)

The oline is the one area I'm a bit worried about if we kick Kubiak out.

JB
12-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Agreed, I think the RG spot can be improved but Texans have MANY other problems on offense (A legit #2 WR...)The oline is the one area I'm a bit worried about if we kick Kubiak out.

Can you explain in a bit more depth, or is a #2wr= MANY?

fiasco west
12-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Can you explain in a bit more depth, or is a #2wr= MANY?

Yeah it does to me, because our passing game has not been what it had been.

Honestly when I saw how Arian played the first game, I thought to myself. "No one will be able to stop this team from scoring." I literally thought that this offense had the 'Greatest show on turf' look to it. I imagined Daniels tearing it up in the middle, Walter making defenses pay for doubling Dre, and Jacoby catching the deep ball.

What we get instead is Andre doing most of the work. Walter showing up every now and then, Jacoby dropping catches, Daniels....hurt.

Teams don't fear the air attack of the Texans, proof of this came in the NYG game where they basically said "We're not too worried about your air game, we are more worried about Foster."

JB
12-05-2010, 03:34 PM
The NYG were not worried about our passing game, but it was not because our lack of weapons, it was their confidence in their pass rush.

burro
12-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Yeah it does to me, because our passing game has not been what it had been.

Honestly when I saw how Arian played the first game, I thought to myself. "No one will be able to stop this team from scoring." I literally thought that this offense had the 'Greatest show on turf' look to it. I imagined Daniels tearing it up in the middle, Walter making defenses pay for doubling Dre, and Jacoby catching the deep ball.

What we get instead is Andre doing most of the work. Walter showing up every now and then, Jacoby dropping catches, Daniels....hurt.

Teams don't fear the air attack of the Texans, proof of this came in the NYG game where they basically said "We're not too worried about your air game, we are more worried about Foster."

This is most of our problem. When you build an offense around having a sure handed, light footed TE for your QB to check down to - it becomes a big problem when he is no longer a part of the scheme. In other words, OD's absence is a bigger deal than it may look on paper. Dreesen has skills, but he isn't the sort of concern for opposing DCs as Daniels was. This is not to say that another #2 WR isn't desirable, someone as fast as JJ with better hands. Perhaps from there we can move Walter to the slot? Either way, with OD back in the lineup the passing game will dramatically improve.

fiasco west
12-05-2010, 03:42 PM
The NYG were not worried about our passing game, but it was not because our lack of weapons, it was their confidence in their pass rush.

Pretty much every team is more worried about Foster than our WRs. Even the redskins had players quoted to saying that stopping Foster was key.

Last year the passing game was the best in the NFL, arguably. This year they aren't close to that. Last year we had a legit #2 at one point two other very feared receivers in OD and Walters. Walters has disappointed and OD has barely played.

I believe the WR core outside of Andre is a problem, the problem is that Kubiak comes out passing the ball. I guess it's just his thing and nearly every game we start slow and get behind. Outside of Andre there is no other WR that the defense has to worry about, in fact I'm pretty sure Arian Foster is the 2nd leading receiver on the team with like 400 yards.

JB
12-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Pretty much every team is more worried about Foster than our WRs. Even the redskins had players quoted to saying that stopping Foster was key.

Last year the passing game was the best in the NFL, arguably. This year they aren't close to that. Last year we had a legit #2 at one point two other very feared receivers in OD and Walters. Walters has disappointed and OD has barely played.

I believe the WR core outside of Andre is a problem, the problem is that Kubiak comes out passing the ball. I guess it's just his thing and nearly every game we start slow and get behind. Outside of Andre there is no other WR that the defense has to worry about, in fact I'm pretty sure Arian Foster is the 2nd leading WR on the team with like 400 yards.

Last year we had no rushing game, so our passing offens had to do it all. Even this year, after we fall behind we can put points on the board quickly. I think Dennison has a lot to do with the passing game struggles early.

fiasco west
12-05-2010, 03:47 PM
This is most of our problem. When you build an offense around having a sure handed, light footed TE for your QB to check down to - it becomes a big problem when he is no longer a part of the scheme. In other words, OD's absence is a bigger deal than it may look on paper. Dreesen has skills, but he isn't the sort of concern for opposing DCs as Daniels was. This is not to say that another #2 WR isn't desirable, someone as fast as JJ with better hands. Perhaps from there we can move Walter to the slot? Either way, with OD back in the lineup the passing game will dramatically improve.

The problem though is can OD ever return to form? I agree that his absence is huge and I think it was a big reason why the Texans slumped in the middle of the season when he went out.

fiasco west
12-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Last year we had no rushing game, so our passing offens had to do it all. Even this year, after we fall behind we can put points on the board quickly. I think Dennison has a lot to do with the passing game struggles early.

Yeah, but last year we also had OD and Walters playing better than they are now. That's why I think it was what it was. You add a legit guy next to a superstar player like Andre and you get a dynamic passing game like last year.

The passing game just isn't dominant, last year it was dominant even if all we did was pass. It's good still, but it's not elite anymore and that step back is what hurt the texans.

Remember preseason all the talk was "Can the Texans get a running game?" they did, but unfortunately the passing game took a step back IMO.

JB
12-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Yeah, but last year we also had OD and Walters playing better than they are now. That's why I think it was what it was. You add a legit guy next to a superstar player like Andre and you get a dynamic passing game like last year.

The passing game just isn't dominant, last year it was dominant even if all we did was pass. It's good still, but it's not elite anymore and that step back is what hurt the texans.

Remember preseason all the talk was "Can the Texans get a running game?" they did, but unfortunately the passing game took a step back IMO.

Again, I think Dennison has a lot to do with this. One of the primary reasons he was brought in was to improve the run game, which he has done. But I think he does not have as good a grasp on the passing game. Last year even after OD went down, we had an explosive passing game. We are not making any explosive plays in the passing game this year until late.

burro
12-05-2010, 03:58 PM
The problem though is can OD ever return to form? I agree that his absence is huge and I think it was a big reason why the Texans slumped in the middle of the season when he went out.

That is definitely the question of the future, the best answer I can give is "hopefully so". However, should he return to form, then I don't think we'll notice the absence of an explosive #2 WR.

fiasco west
12-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Again, I think Dennison has a lot to do with this. One of the primary reasons he was brought in was to improve the run game, which he has done. But I think he does not have as good a grasp on the passing game. Last year even after OD went down, we had an explosive passing game. We are not making any explosive plays in the passing game this year until late.

That is a logical explanation and completely willing to buy that. The Kid Shanny did seem to have a better impression on the passing game, but I still believe we could do much better at WR #2 and TE if OD never returns to Pro Bowl form.

That is definitely the question of the future, the best answer I can give is "hopefully so". However, should he return to form, then I don't think we'll notice the absence of an explosive #2 WR.

I'm not even sure what his injury is even more. I'm a bit worried though, it seems like whenever the Texans get a good young player you get excited about the very next year they get some career crippling injury or overtrain.

I'm crossing my fingers for Foster.

JB
12-05-2010, 04:12 PM
That is a logical explanation and completely willing to buy that. The Kid Shanny did seem to have a better impression on the passing game, but I still believe we could do much better at WR #2 and TE if OD never returns to Pro Bowl form.

I would like to add a WR as well. I think we are pretty deep at TE even if OD doesn't come back with Dreesen, Casey & Graham. Also don't forget Hill.

I have more concerns with the defense than I do the offense.

burro
12-05-2010, 04:16 PM
I'm not even sure what his injury is even more. I'm a bit worried though, it seems like whenever the Texans get a good young player you get excited about the very next year they get some career crippling injury or overtrain.

I'm crossing my fingers for Foster.

It's something with his hamstring. Fortunately, he's supposed to be back next week. We can't expect him to play at 100% immediately, and will probably be given limited action. Either way, you're right about injuries. We need a new health and wellness staff badly, more badly than we need any coach or player imo.

TimeKiller
12-05-2010, 05:40 PM
OL has been pretty rad this year. Wade Smith seems to be a good sign. Brisel is playing well and Caldwell is still improving. Butler performed admirably in Brown's absence and Winston has been a rock.

As for OD, I really think it's time to move on before they do something foolish. Dreesen isn't the future though, Dreesen is a #2 guy. Jack of all trades and master of none you know? Not deliberately trying to knock him but I think it's time to see lots more of Casey and Graham. See what we have before the offseason.

Oh and as for a #2 WR that's as fast as Jacoby but has hands...coughcoughDorinDickersoncoughcough...I guess we'll just have to keep waiting for that.

Imagine lining up a secondary for AJ, DD and KW in the slot. Bunch of 6'2'' 225ish guys with speed and hands. Oh and Foster coming out of the backfield, another big frame with speed and hands to stop.

80tothezone
12-06-2010, 02:01 AM
Holy hell u found the silver lining!!!!

Wolf6151
12-06-2010, 02:15 AM
O-line has been good this season.

That said, if there is a dominant lineman available via draft or Free agency I would pick them up.

Agreed and there are some good O-linemen in the 2011 draft though the OT position is very weak.

gary
12-06-2010, 08:21 PM
I am behind the idea of drafting another OT then moving Brown or Winston inside.

Rey
12-06-2010, 08:24 PM
I am behind the idea of drafting another OT then moving Brown or Winston inside.

I wouldn't move Brown from the OT position.

He has his problems, but overall he's a solid player there. Hard to find guys that can be solid at that position.

I'm fine with moving Winston though.

Runner
12-06-2010, 09:51 PM
When Pitts became a former Texan, I think I posted that the line would finally come together. Don't underestimate the positive impact of losing that prima donna.

Runner
12-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Found it:

That Whoosh-BANG! you just heard was the Texans offensive line coming together as a unit.

Good decision by the Texans, as far as I'm concerned.