PDA

View Full Version : Texans in the playoffs at 9-7

panamamyers
12-04-2010, 02:44 PM
This is the way I see it.

We win our last four.

Jacksonville loses to Tennessee this weekend and Dallas beats Indy.

Houston 5-7
Jax 6-6
Ten 6-6
Indy 6-6

Tennessee beats Indy, Jax beats Raiders

Houston 6-7
Jax 7-6
Indy 6-7
Ten 7-6

Jax loses to Indy, we beat Ten

Houston 7-7
Jax 7-7
Indy 7-7
Ten 7-7

Jacksonville beats Redskins, Colts beat Raiders, Titans lose to Chiefs

Houston 8-7
Jax 8-7
Colts 8-7
Ten 7-8

Indianapolis beats Tennessee, we beat Jax

Houston 9-7
Jax 8-8
Colts 9-7
Ten 7-9

Colts 3-3 in division, Texans 4-2

See you guys in Dallas.

Carr Bombed
12-04-2010, 02:46 PM
http://www.soonet.ca/images/smilies/Smile/suicide.gif

steelbtexan
12-04-2010, 02:47 PM
I said they were a 7-9 team before the season started.

I dont see them beating the Ravens. But if they do then the Jags game will be for all of the marbles.

And they will be a 1 and done playoff team. You will never be able to beat teams in the playoof with a defense this bad. IMHO

Just face facts the Texans aren't a good team and will be lucky to make the playoffs. But hey they had a winning record last yr. LOL

Imatexanfan
12-04-2010, 02:47 PM
It's a good possibility...:goodluck:

burro
12-04-2010, 02:49 PM

We win our last four.

Houston 5-7
Jax 6-6
Ten 6-6
Indy 6-6

Houston 6-7
Jax 7-6
Indy 6-7
Ten 7-6

Houston 7-7
Jax 7-7
Indy 7-7
Ten 7-7

Houston 8-7
Jax 8-7
Colts 8-7
Ten 7-8

Houston 9-7
Jax 8-8
Colts 9-7
Ten 7-9

See you guys in Dallas.

There's where the problem is. No one can realistically think that will happen. Every given Sunday, of course - but the Titans are not in a good way right now (which is a good consolation prize for a disappointing season).

CretorFrigg
12-04-2010, 02:50 PM
So does this equate to a 1% chance of getting into the playoffs? Cool, I'll take it. Better than being mathematically eliminated. We don't deserve the playoffs after how atrocious our defensive performance has been.

Look at the Colt's remaining schedule:

at Tennessee
Jacksonville
at Oakland
Tennessee

This is the Jaguar's remaining schedule:

Oakland
at Indianapolis
Washington
at Houston

And then look at our remaining schedule. 'nuff said.

Bull Pen 1
12-04-2010, 02:57 PM
It's a good possibility...:goodluck:

So is the lottery

Ghostform
12-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Ravens will beat us especially cuz we like to embarrass ourselves all the time on MNF. The tits game is up in the air depending on who QB's for the tits. Denver can throw which spells disaster for our Defense. Jax always gives us problems no matter how good/crappy they are. 6-10 or 7-9 at best.

PockyAF
12-04-2010, 03:33 PM
I can't believe the OP actually went full retard.

http://www.cellacella.net/wp-content/gallery/varie//2009/02/simple-jack.jpg

Dude's never coming back..sad.

rmartin65
12-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Puff puff PASS...

drewmar74
12-04-2010, 03:51 PM
OP: We can still save it!

ER nurse: The season is gone... you can stop with the chest compressions.

OP: No! NOOOOOOO!

ER nurse: Please. Stop. Just let the season go.

OP: I can't! We have to keep trying to find a way to bring it back!

ER nurse: Really? It's been dead for weeks. Just let it go.....

b0ng
12-04-2010, 03:59 PM
If they do, you should totally bump this thread. You'll have tons of crow to serve. I'll put my name on it. There's no way the Texans make the playoffs. Would gladly come back and discuss my non-belief in the hometown team and how misplaced it is.

dream_team
12-04-2010, 04:26 PM
I don't know about making the playoffs, but I do think they'll go undefeated here on out. Because that's what they do. When they think playoffs are out of the question, they start to win games... And give us fans hope that next season will finally be The Season!

Lucky
12-04-2010, 04:35 PM
After the Texans lose on MNF to the Ravens, there will be another thread diagramming playoff scenarios for the Texans. It will probably include a couple of charter jet crashes.

thunderkyss
12-04-2010, 04:48 PM
I said they were a 7-9 team before the season started.

I dont see them beating the Ravens. But if they do then the Jags game will be for all of the marbles.

And they will be a 1 and done playoff team. You will never be able to beat teams in the playoof with a defense this bad. IMHO

Just face facts the Texans aren't a good team and will be lucky to make the playoffs. But hey they had a winning record last yr. LOL

do you mean 7-9 as a 6-10 to 8-8 team?

or 7-9 as a 7-9 to 9-7 team?

I thought they were (are) a 9-7 team....... 8-8 to 10-6.

Thorn
12-04-2010, 04:52 PM
After the Texans lose on MNF to the Ravens, there will be another thread diagramming playoff scenarios for the Texans. It will probably include a couple charter jet crashes.

:lol:

thunderkyss
12-04-2010, 04:55 PM
With Tennesse on our schedule (& the Jags)....

And the RAvens.....

It would still be an accomplishment for these Texans to go undefeated. Especially if the Ravens win their division.

thunderkyss
12-04-2010, 05:02 PM
After the Texans lose on MNF to the Ravens, there will be another thread diagramming playoff scenarios for the Texans. It will probably include a couple of charter jet crashes.

Patriots
Dolphins
Steelers
Bears
Bills

Not one "easy" game on the schedule. Miami & the Bills may look like "wins" & I agree, but the Jets are going to have to fight for each one.

They also have no gimmies'

edit: sorry........ didn't see the word "charter"

wagonhed
12-04-2010, 05:07 PM

i love this post

Maddict5
12-04-2010, 05:40 PM
its a slim chance but if we follow suit from the last few yrs and win out, i do like the fact that we have tiebreakers over every other afc south team at 9-7 no matter their results. its forcing indy (who is really the only team thats likely to go 10-6) to go 4-1 over the last 5 games... and indy havent been looking so hot lately either

like i said its not a great chance but its no worse than the jets chances at this time last yr. might as well hope for the unlikely in the last month instead of packing it in for the yr

BetaV1
12-04-2010, 05:45 PM

We win our last four.

Houston 5-7
Jax 6-6
Ten 6-6
Indy 6-6

Houston 6-7
Jax 7-6
Indy 6-7
Ten 7-6

Houston 7-7
Jax 7-7
Indy 7-7
Ten 7-7

Houston 8-7
Jax 8-7
Colts 8-7
Ten 7-8

Houston 9-7
Jax 8-8
Colts 9-7
Ten 7-9

See you guys in Dallas.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hoghde2FwwU/TPP2Xz-f0fI/AAAAAAAAAyg/sn1CsA0i7d8/s1600/airplane7.jpg

"Surely you can't be serious."

"Oh, I am serious. And don't call me Shirley."

michaelm
12-04-2010, 06:01 PM

We win our last four.

Houston 5-7
Jax 6-6
Ten 6-6
Indy 6-6

Houston 6-7
Jax 7-6
Indy 6-7
Ten 7-6

Houston 7-7
Jax 7-7
Indy 7-7
Ten 7-7

Houston 8-7
Jax 8-7
Colts 8-7
Ten 7-8

Houston 9-7
Jax 8-8
Colts 9-7
Ten 7-9

See you guys in Dallas.

That reminds me.
Kids, don't smoke crack!

Speedy
12-04-2010, 06:04 PM
What about this defense makes you think they can beat anybody, much less run the table? I get being behind your team, but at least don't do it blindly.

Love the Texans, will continue to support them, but they're done in 2010 and have been for a while.

Thorn
12-04-2010, 08:54 PM
like i said its not a great chance but its no worse than the jets chances at this time last yr. might as well hope for the unlikely in the last month instead of packing it in for the yr

We'd have to quit our internet bitching to do that. And what's the chances of that? :lol:

Fred
12-04-2010, 09:18 PM

HELL FREEZES OVER.

We win our last four.

Houston 5-7
Jax 6-6
Ten 6-6
Indy 6-6

Houston 6-7
Jax 7-6
Indy 6-7
Ten 7-6

Houston 7-7
Jax 7-7
Indy 7-7
Ten 7-7

Houston 8-7
Jax 8-7
Colts 8-7
Ten 7-8

Houston 9-7
Jax 8-8
Colts 9-7
Ten 7-9

See you guys in Dallas.

Fixed it for ya.

ObsiWan
12-04-2010, 09:29 PM
http://wizbangblog.com/images/2009/11/hell.jpg

it's happened before...
:D

Yankee_In_TX
12-04-2010, 09:44 PM
http://www.soonet.ca/images/smilies/Smile/suicide.gif

/thread

TxDavid
12-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Where's Jim Mora when you need him......:goodluck:

JB
12-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Where's Jim Mora when you need him......:goodluck:

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE)

80tothezone
12-04-2010, 10:29 PM
I hate to say it but I kinda hope we don't make it to the playoffs ... that might save jobs that don't deserve to be saved. (Kubiak and Bush) especially bush .... Ok maybe what I really hope is that playoffs or not both or at least bush is gone next year

Bill COWER FOR PRESIDENT!!!

TheMatrix31
12-05-2010, 01:03 AM
I hate to say it but I kinda hope we don't make it to the playoffs ... that might save jobs that don't deserve to be saved. (Kubiak and Bush) especially bush .... Ok maybe what I really hope is that playoffs or not both or at least bush is gone next year

Cool fan there, hoping we don't make the playoffs, lol.

Ryan
12-05-2010, 01:28 AM
Weren't you the same guy that said Schaub was the worst QB in the league and you'd take nearly any qb in the league over him? :kubepalm::kubepalm::kubepalm::mariopalm:

Lucky
12-05-2010, 07:19 AM
Now you know how I feel, in regards to fans that are willing to continue accepting the mediocrity of this coaching staff.

Texanator
12-05-2010, 08:05 AM
What does it matter? Even if we did squeak into the playoffs, we are no where close to competing for the SB. Getting into the playoffs would mean we play ONE more game and chance losing a key player to a permanent injury. The season is toast and with our D, we would just be fodder for some team to get a buy through the post season.
FIRE BUSH, FIRE KUBIAK!

Maddict5
12-05-2010, 08:08 AM
What does it matter? Even if we did squeak into the playoffs, we are no where close to competing for the SB. Getting into the playoffs would mean we play ONE more game and chance losing a key player to a permanent injury. The season is toast and with our D, we would just be fodder for some team to get a buy through the post season.
FIRE BUSH, FIRE KUBIAK!

are the eagles, jets, colts and chargers not SB contenders? and we gave those all good games. jesus you'd swear we were getting blown out every game.

axman40
12-05-2010, 08:59 AM
cocaine

it's a hell of a drug!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PR_rzF8ofw
:spit:

Hardcore Texan
12-05-2010, 09:19 AM

So you're telling me there's a chance.

http://moviecapper.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/jim-carrey.jpg

Heath Shuler
12-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Now you know how I feel, in regards to fans that are willing to continue accepting the mediocrity of this coaching staff.

I donít think it is just the coaching staff; it permeates the organization from the top down.

thunderkyss
12-05-2010, 12:19 PM

I don't hate Kubiak enough, or love Cowher enough to want my team to miss the play-offs.

Outside chance & everything, they still need to do their best & win as many as they can. That's the difference between a 9-7 team & a 4-10 team.

thunderkyss
12-05-2010, 12:28 PM

There are still 4 games on the schedule. Baltimore, I think is important & so are the two division games.

We beat Indy & KC..... I think those are the only teams with winning records that we beat......

We lost to Indy, NYGiants, Chargers, Jags, NYJets, & Philly....

Even if we sneak into the play-offs from here, McNair has enough ammo to fire Kubiak if that's what he wants to do.

It has nothing to do with accepting mediocrity. It's about wanting to see our team win.

Texas T
12-05-2010, 12:34 PM
There are still 4 games on the schedule. Baltimore, I think is important & so are the two division games.

We beat Indy & KC..... I think those are the only teams with winning records that we beat......

We lost to Indy, NYGiants, Chargers, Jags, NYJets, & Philly....

Even if we sneak into the play-offs from here, McNair has enough ammo to fire Kubiak if that's what he wants to do.

It has nothing to do with accepting mediocrity. It's about wanting to see our team win.

If we do make the playoffs (which I am always hoping for-I can't bring myself to root against the Texans) do you really think any amount of "ammo" would drive McNair to fire Kubs??
I sure don't.

wagonhed
12-05-2010, 02:47 PM
So far so good. The OP is about to be 0-1 in his predictions. LOL.

thunderkyss
12-05-2010, 02:51 PM
If we do make the playoffs (which I am always hoping for-I can't bring myself to root against the Texans) do you really think any amount of "ammo" would drive McNair to fire Kubs??
I sure don't.

Who knows. But getting into the play-offs is such a crap shoot. If the AFC South has gone to shit & you can win the division at 9-7 (even 10-6)... I just think that is a weak way to measure success.

Either you're playing good football or your not, & we're not..... play-offs or not. However, making the play-offs gives you a "second season" to redeem yourself if you're playing bad (Jets 2009).

jaayteetx
12-05-2010, 02:51 PM
The Titans have mailed it in this year, they aren't winning another game. Texans can win their last four all they want to, it will just wind up like last year, sitting at home watching other teams in the postseason....yet again.

TheMatrix31
12-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Outside chance & everything, they still need to do their best & win as many as they can. That's the difference between a 9-7 team & a 4-10 team.

Agreed. The point is to win. I don't want to lose just for the sake of saying "hey, we DO suck" or any other "I told you so" bullshit.

As Herm says, you play to win the game.

Rooting for your team to lose is the most disgraceful shit ever.

fiasco west
12-05-2010, 03:13 PM
The only way I would root for the Texans to lose is if we sucked. We don't.

I DID root for the Texans to lose in the 'Bush Bowl' if you can remember that. The last game in 2006 I believe against the 9ers. Yes I was rooting for the Texans to lose, it meant getting the #1 pick.

But when you are only 2 games out of division lead, no reason to root against your team. Come Monday night against the Ravens i'll be cheering them on.

TheMatrix31
12-05-2010, 03:20 PM
The only way I would root for the Texans to lose is if we sucked. We don't.

I DID root for the Texans to lose in the 'Bush Bowl' if you can remember that. The last game in 2006 I believe against the 9ers. Yes I was rooting for the Texans to lose, it meant getting the #1 pick.

But when you are only 2 games out of division lead, no reason to root against your team. Come Monday night against the Ravens i'll be cheering them on.

I still wanted to win that because I didn't want the team to feel pressured to select Reggie Bush. Thank God we didn't.

Surreal McCoy
12-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Agreed. The point is to win. I don't want to lose just for the sake of saying "hey, we DO suck" or any other "I told you so" bullshit.

Great post and unfortunately the M.O. of most Houston fans, not all, but certainly the realistic ones.

fiasco west
12-05-2010, 03:26 PM
I still wanted to win that because I didn't want the team to feel pressured to select Reggie Bush. Thank God we didn't.

True. Funny if we had won we would have probably still got Mario who IMO has been the best player out of all the top picks. I was caught in the Bush hype though with some of the things he did at USC. I was happy though that at #1 they would get whoever they wanted and luckily they made the right choice....although it was crazy down here a lot of folks were not happy that they did not draft Vince Young.

wagonhed
12-05-2010, 03:37 PM
I don't just want to "win". I want to win a Superbowl. I'd rather go 5-11 this year and win a superbowl next year then go 10-6 this year, lose in the playoffs, then go 10-6 and lose in the playoffs again next year.

If you don't think Kubiak will ever take us to a Superbowl, but you want to win a Superbowl, the only logical thing to root for is whatever it takes for Kubiak to be gone. In this case, that means losing games.

Talk all the shit you want about fans who don't agree with you (it doesn't make you tough or a better fan, btw), but it comes down to the same thing for every last one of us. We want a Superbowl.

TheMatrix31
12-05-2010, 03:52 PM
I don't just want to "win". I want to win a Superbowl. I'd rather go 5-11 this year and win a superbowl next year then go 10-6 this year, lose in the playoffs, then go 10-6 and lose in the playoffs again next year.

If you don't think Kubiak will ever take us to a Superbowl, but you want to win a Superbowl, the only logical thing to root for is whatever it takes for Kubiak to be gone. In this case, that means losing games.

Talk all the shit you want about fans who don't agree with you (it doesn't make you tough or a better fan, btw), but it comes down to the same thing for every last one of us. We want a Superbowl.

Let's "just win" first. You have to win to win a Super Bowl. I'm not talking about coaching, I'm not talking about any of that. I want to win. I don't give a **** who the coach is. If Kubiak is the guy that gets us wins, then I want him. If we lose, I want someone else.

I'm not going to root against my team or "whatever it takes" to replace the coach just to prove a point or whatever. If we lose, then replace the guy, the players, whoever is at fault.

fiasco west
12-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Honestly I feel like that is a NBA mentality. For example I don't really want the Rockets to make the playoffs...they'll get a low seed...get eliminated in 4-5 games...what point is that? If you're not a elite team in the NBA it is much better have lottery balls to draft a superstar player.

In the NFL though, any team can make a run at the end of the season. Teams can literally sneak into the playoffs, and go on a run. It happened with the Jets last year, it happened with the Cardinals too. So I just want to make the playoffs.

TheMatrix31
12-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Even in the NBA, the benefit of making the playoffs is that, you made the playoffs. You get revenue from home games, some playoff experience for the kids, and its better than being in the lotto where you'll get stuck at #14.

Agreed about the NFL though. The Jets got lucky two straight games to get in, and look what happened. They went to the AFC Championship game, and got all this hype and mentality that they could win. Luck at the end of the year last year translated to luck throughout this year so far, and they're 9-2 playing for home field throughout.

Lucky
12-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Everyone wants the team to win. Get off that. What I'm discussing is the mentality of some fans here who want to keep the status quo. Regardless of how the seasons unfolds. If The Matrix thinks it's funny that some fans are so desperate for change that they would give up an imaginary playoff season, I find it hilarious that some fans still think that Gary Kubiak can bring a championship team here.

utahmark
12-05-2010, 04:32 PM
i'm tired of trying to figure out what has to happen for my losing 5 and 7 to squeak into the playoff's. I've had 4 years of that now.

TheMatrix31
12-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Everyone wants the team to win. Get off that. What I'm discussing is the mentality of some fans here who want to keep the status quo. Regardless of how the seasons unfolds. If The Matrix thinks it's funny that some fans are so desperate for change that they would give up an imaginary playoff season, I find it hilarious that some fans still think that Gary Kubiak can bring a championship team here.

I'm not operating under the assumption that he can or can't. Not part of my thought process here. I'm just not going to root against my team, imaginary playoff scenarios or not. That's my point. I don't care if we're 1-14, or on a 6 game losing streak going into Week 17, or whatever.....I want to win each and every game we step out on the field to play. That's it.

wagonhed
12-05-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm not operating under the assumption that he can or can't. Not part of my thought process here. I'm just not going to root against my team, imaginary playoff scenarios or not. That's my point. I don't care if we're 1-14, or on a 6 game losing streak going into Week 17, or whatever.....I want to win each and every game we step out on the field to play. That's it.

http://www.ostrichheadinsand.com/images/ostrich-head-in-sand.jpg

ThaShark316
12-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Hoping for losses is why Houston football will never prosper.

TimeKiller
12-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Hope is a dangerous thing.

I'm going for 7-9. They blew it already. A great start with another mid season flop fest. They couldn't even keep up the winning for half a season. Sad. No what's sad is that yet again the team is a symbol of mediocrity, failed goals and worst of all a symbol for teams that refuse to hold it's management accountable for their mistakes, no matter how redundant they have become.

Rey
12-05-2010, 06:24 PM
I hope the Texans lose out. I like to see them play well, and as long as there is a mathematical possibility that they can make the play-offs I can't help but hoping that they get in...For my own sake...For the sake of other fans that have waited so long....

But I honestly think that the team needs to make some drastic moves...coaching and personnel wise.

I do not want to see a bunch of meaningless wins at the end of the season when we are already pretty much eliminated. That isn't good for anybody except the people who keep putting forward this sucky product.

TheMatrix31
12-05-2010, 06:26 PM
http://www.ostrichheadinsand.com/images/ostrich-head-in-sand.jpg

Not really. What nonsense.

JB
12-05-2010, 06:28 PM
I hope the Texans lose out. I like to see them play well, and as long as there is a mathematical possibility that they can make the play-offs I can't help but hoping that they get in...For my own sake...For the sake of other fans that have waited so long....

But I honestly think that the team needs to make some drastic moves...coaching and personnel wise.

I do not want to see a bunch of meaningless wins at the end of the season when we are already pretty much eliminated. That isn't good for anybody except the people who keep putting forward this sucky product.

Sorry, I just can't get on board with this. That is the worst thing a fan can say imo. Seems like defeatism, treason and nonsense to me.

I understand you want a change. But to root for your team to lose is just wrong.

ObsiWan
12-05-2010, 06:30 PM

Absolutely!

houstonspartan
12-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Sorry, I just can't get on board with this. That is the worst thing a fan can say imo. Seems like defeatism, treason and nonsense to me.

I understand you want a change. But to root for your team to lose is just wrong.

Man, I have never, ever rooted against the Texans. I'm a season ticket holder, and I love this team.

However, I have to admit that, deep down, I was sort of glad we lost the Philly game. I'm not proud of admitting that, but it is what it is.

That's what Gary has turned us into.

JB
12-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Man, I have never, ever rooted against the Texans. I'm a season ticket holder, and I love this team.

However, I have to admit that, deep down, I was sort of glad we lost the Philly game. I'm not proud of admitting that, but it is what it is.

That's what Gary has turned us into.

That may be looking for a silver lining, and I get that. But to go into a game hoping your team loses...

I agree with TheMatrix31, that is just disgraceful.

Mr. Texan
12-05-2010, 06:37 PM
i hope we win out but with a defense this ass cheeks its hard to retain optimism

JB
12-05-2010, 06:42 PM
i hope we win out but with a defense this ass cheeks its hard to retain optimism

I get that. But at kickoff every game, I am pumped and cheering for my Texans to get a win. If they don't, I will feel miserable for two or three days and ***** and moan about what could have been. Then I start preparing for the next win that surely the Texans will find a way to win.

Often I am disappointed, but never do I give up.

Rey
12-05-2010, 07:04 PM

Well, I look at it as having a child that is going down the wrong path. You know it, you can see it.

Sometimes it's better if that child gets into trouble early in life and learns a lesson vs. continuing to get away with their wrong doings.

Like if you're teenager is doing some petty shoplifting...

No you don't want to wish bad things on your child, but sometimes some kids need to be 'scared straight'.

This organization needs to be scared straight. I think McNair still hasn't fully learned how to demand that his football staff meet strict requirements or face consequences.

But besides that...

I think that a new, experienced HC and a top 15 draft pick would do more to help us than for Kubiak to be here and continue the status quo.

I want my team to do well. But I really think that the best way for that to happen is for them to fall flat on their face and learn from their mistakes.

Texanator
12-05-2010, 07:08 PM
are the eagles, jets, colts and chargers not SB contenders? and we gave those all good games. jesus you'd swear we were getting blown out every game.

The fact is we lost to everyone of those teams. Had any of those games,(barring our win over Indy Wk.1), been a playoff game. We'd be at home watching the rest of the playoffs yet again.
I'm not WANTING us to lose, not by any stretch of the imagination. But thinking we are viable SB contenders is just plain absurd. Until we can put 4 quarters of good O & D together, we are a team playing at their full potential of mediocrity and don't DESERVE to be in the post season.

Pantherstang84
12-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Well, I look at it as having a child that is going down the wrong path. You know it, you can see it.

Sometimes it's better if that child gets into trouble early in life and learns a lesson vs. continuing to get away with their wrong doings.

No you don't want to wish bad things on your child, but sometimes some kids need to be 'scared straight'.

This organization needs to be scared straight. I think McNair still hasn't fully learned how to demand that his football staff meet strict requirements or face consequences.

But besides that...

I think that a new, experienced HC and a top 15 draft pick would do more to help us than for Kubiak to be here and continue the status quo.

I want my team to do well. But I really think that the best way for that to happen is for them to fall flat on their face and learn from their mistakes.

As a parent of 2 teenagers I approve this message. You just have to let them take their lumps. Trying to bail them out only compounds the issue. McNair has to see what a failure this organization is. If he never sees it , then we will start calling Jville's tarp supplier.

Jackie Chiles
12-05-2010, 07:11 PM
I can't believe we are 5-7 right now and arguably in better position than we were last year at the same point in time. Two years in a row where the postseason is just begging us to come and play. I'm thinking we turn down the invite again.

Maddict5
12-05-2010, 07:30 PM
The fact is we lost to everyone of those teams. Had any of those games,(barring our win over Indy Wk.1), been a playoff game. We'd be at home watching the rest of the playoffs yet again.
I'm not WANTING us to lose, not by any stretch of the imagination. But thinking we are viable SB contenders is just plain absurd. Until we can put 4 quarters of good O & D together, we are a team playing at their full potential of mediocrity and don't DESERVE to be in the post season.

my post was in response to ppl posting that we'd get embarassed in a playoff game

..and btw while the jags did beat the titans, more importantly (imo) the colts lost. we're still in this thing... for another bit at least

Ghostform
12-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Cant wait for the next thread "Texans in the playoffs at 8-8" after monday night. This team couldnt take advantage of the soft schedule last year and now our division sucks this year but we just had to suck a little more. ha

Thorn
12-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Two years in a row.....woulda coulda shoulda

But didn't.

houstonspartan
12-05-2010, 07:47 PM

But besides that...

Thanks for saying this. It's sort of the point I was trying to make. Yes, I'm a fan, and no, I don't outwardly root for us to lose a game. But, again, deep down, I think we need to be slapped around, and getting embarrassed by losses may be what we need.

It would be a shame if the only thing that came out of this mess is Frank Bush losing his job. That would give Kubiak yet another pass, and have us going into the draft chosing 25 tight ends and ignoring the defensive secondary.

JB
12-05-2010, 08:00 PM

But besides that...

As a parent of 2 teenagers I approve this message. You just have to let them take their lumps. Trying to bail them out only compounds the issue. McNair has to see what a failure this organization is. If he never sees it , then we will start calling Jville's tarp supplier.

I call BS!!! If you want to use your child analogy, fine. Yeah, a child reaches a point where they have to bear responsibility for their actions, but a parent does not ever give up pulling for them to succeed.

Using that analogy is ridiculous btw, because the fans are not the parents, they have not control.

The fans that want their team to lose are nothing more than the noisy neighbors that can only hope they can raise enough of a stink to make some sort of change.

houstonspartan
12-05-2010, 08:20 PM
I call BS!!! If you want to use your child analogy, fine. Yeah, a child reaches a point where they have to bear responsibility for their actions, but a parent does not ever give up pulling for them to succeed.

Using that analogy is ridiculous btw, because the fans are not the parents, they have not control.

The fans that want their team to lose are nothing more than the noisy neighbors that can only hope they can raise enough of a stink to make some sort of change.

I'm calling BS back to you.

No one said we don't want the Texans to succeed. But we aren't succeeding. Something drastic has to happen. If nothing drastic happens, we will be here 12 months from now, wondering why we're 5-7 and frustrated because another year has been lost. Just like we were last year and this year.

As I said, I have never outwardly rooted for us to lose. But, I think something needs to happen to move this freaking franchise forward long term.

As for questioning my fandom, five years of season ticket holder status pretty much proves where I'm coming from. I'm tired of choking down meidocrity.

Carr Bombed
12-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Two years in a row.....woulda coulda shoulda

But didn't.

But next year is DEFINITELY OUR YEAR! Just wait and see! :hurrah:

Blake
12-05-2010, 08:26 PM

Whats that old saying? Squeaky wheel gets the oil?

Thorn
12-05-2010, 08:26 PM
But next year is DEFINITELY OUR YEAR! Just wait and see! :hurrah:

Yeah, the league players will be locked out and we'll field the best scrubs in the land! LOL

DexmanC
12-05-2010, 08:28 PM

No one said we don't want the Texans to succeed. But we aren't succeeding. Something drastic has to happen. If nothing drastic happens, we will be here 12 months from now, wondering why we're 5-7 and frustrated because another year has been lost. Just like we were last year and this year.

As I said, I have never outwardly rooted for us to lose. But, I think something needs to happen to move this freaking franchise forward long term.

As for questioning my fandom, five years of season ticket holder status pretty much proves where I'm coming from. I'm tired of choking down meidocrity.

Is this the first franchise in history to openly celebrate "OUR FIRST
NON-LOSING SEASON?"

WTF is that?

Carr Bombed
12-05-2010, 08:34 PM

:) Oh don't worry......there's no "hope" about it. If they can't hear us, we'll just walk away from the keg and start hitting the hard stuff. Things will start popping off in the hood then.

JB
12-05-2010, 08:43 PM

Excuse me? This is the post I have been referring to. I have followed your post, and even stated that I agreed to and extent. But I don't think you have been following what I have been saying.

Texan_Bill
12-05-2010, 08:47 PM
I never hope the Texans lose, let alone lose out.... I'm just not wired that way..

JB
12-05-2010, 08:48 PM
I never hope the Texans lose, let alone lose out.... I'm just not wired that way..

That is what I have been trying to say... I just don't understand that mindset.

3rd and Inches
12-05-2010, 08:50 PM

I agree.. as dismal as this season has turned out to be.. I still want the guys to go out there and put together a quality effort and chalk a W on the board..

I think that's the difference between a fair weather fan and a die hard.. win or lose.. I still love the guys that get out on that field, Sunday and I hope to God they win..

Carr Bombed
12-05-2010, 09:08 PM
I don't want the team to lose either and I won't root for them to lose, but I do expect it happen (and it happens more than not) and I want our DAMN OWNER to wake the hell up and acknowledge the failure that is Gary Kubiak....and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. RABBLE! RABBLE! RABBLE! :)

JB
12-05-2010, 09:09 PM
I don't want the team to lose either and I won't root for them to lose, but I do expect it and want our DAMN OWNER to wake the hell up and acknowledge the failure that is Gary Kubiak....and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

This sentiment I can understand. I may not agree with it at this point, but I do understand.

Showtime100
12-05-2010, 09:21 PM
I could never pull for a Texans loss. Right now I hope for the best (wins) and at the end of the year I hope Kubes is elsewhere. Besides, at this point I think it's moot to pull a loss. Even if they win out the average writing is on the average wall. I just hope McNair can do the math.

Hardcore Texan
12-05-2010, 09:24 PM

I agree.. as dismal as this season has turned out to be.. I still want the guys to go out there and put together a quality effort and chalk a W on the board..

I think that's the difference between a fair weather fan and a die hard.. win or lose.. I still love the guys that get out on that field, Sunday and I hope to God they win..

This!

PockyAF
12-05-2010, 10:11 PM
If we made the playoffs?

(Yes, this is yet another Kubiak thread and a playoffs implication thread... but only better because it's both COMBINED.)

I know I have already said in the past that this season was all but done for us, but after reviewing the rest of the schedule for the AFCS recently, I realized that Kubiak popping the cherry really isn't as far fetched as I initially thought it was.

Jags Remainder of Schedule (7-5):

OAK@JAC
JAC@IND
WAS@JAC
JAC@HOU

Colts ROS (6-6):

IND@TEN
JAC@IND
IND@OAK
TEN@IND

Texans ROS (5-7):

BAL@HOU
HOU@TEN
HOU@DEN
JAC@HOU

Titans are irrelevant in my eyes; they seem to be done for this season. But if you must, 2-IND 1-HOU 1-KC. They're going to be 7-9 at best when it's all said and done.

The most important part when looking at these schedules are the divisional games. HOU & JAC with 2 each and IND with 3.

A must for Operations:TP (Texans Playoffs) to be successful.

Jac losing at Indy

Indy losing at Ten

Hou winning out

As for statistics:

Jacksonville is currently 3-1 in the division; having the last two on the road. They are currently 3-3 on the road. Now, their first divisional game will be at Indy, where they posted a 2/9 record against them, only winning by a FG or less in both affairs. Keep in mind that Jacksonville has never swept Indy before, and they have already won one earlier this season against Indy.
We need them to lose against Indy for us to have any hope of getting into the PO; as I can't see them dropping three, if they get the sweep on Indy. Houston winning out would most likely be irrelevant if the Jags completes the sweep.

Indy is 1-2 in the division, and has dropped the last two games at home after the NE game. They are 2-4 on the road for this season, and could drop games against a dangerous OAK team or TEN, who has matched-up well against Indy in the past. If they win against TEN, then we need them to lose two of their last three; if they lose against TEN, then we need to just worry about ourselves.

Houston, as of now, is 2-2 in the division. Our biggest internal obstacle is getting past Baltimore next week. We are have an lousy 3-3 record at home, but we have shown in past time to get a win against visiting teams who should have mutilated us, during our annual 'Late-Season Push for Mediocrities'. The teams that we got the upset over, came in with the impressive records of:

'06 INDY (11-3)
'07 TB (8-4)
'08 TEN (11-1)
'09 NE (10-5)

Next week, Balty will be coming in with a record of 9-3/8-4. Nothing special as we've faced team and overcame them with better records, before. Oh, and another fun fact to throw out there, we've been undefeated in week 14 since the arrival of Matt Schaub in 2007, each time with our trademark 5-7 records. Throw in the fact that we'll be wearing our owner's beloved battle red jerseys, we might have Lady Luck on our side for MNF.

So, even after what happen to us in the last 5 weeks, all is not lost.. yet. This team needs to pull another underdog victory for one last push towards the playoffs. We need to win out to win this division. If we can getpast Balty, then we have an easy lane towards the playoffs (which we will probably screw up). If this scenario does play out, then we will be playing JAC at home, in battle red, for the first time on SNF for the divisional title; which is a game I'm sure we'll win. Divisional title or not, SNF or not.

If all of the above happens, we'll have a three-way tie for the AFC-S:

HOU, IND, JAC: 9-7

We will win the tie-breaker, for we will have a 4-2 record in the division, with IND & JAC posting a 3-3 records.

We will probably then go on to get our asses handed to us against NYJ/NE or PIT/BAL. But we will finally, at last, have that taste of the PO.

So, back to the question: Considering past rumors having big name coaches stating they would 'love to work for McNair (Namely: Bill Cowher), would you be content with keeping Kubiak if we do manage to get into the post-season?

houstonspartan
12-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Excuse me? This is the post I have been referring to. I have followed your post, and even stated that I agreed to and extent. But I don't think you have been following what I have been saying.

Fair enough. I mis-understood. My apologies.

Lucky
12-05-2010, 10:23 PM
If we made the playoffs?

(Yes, this is yet another Kubiak thread and a playoffs implication thread... but only better because it's both COMBINED.)
It's not better. And now it's combined.

Look, everyone here knows that Kubiak would be retained if the Texans made the playoffs. There's no argument there. So, feel free to run through all of the possible scenarios that would put the Texans in the playoffs. Just do it in the "Texans in the playoffs at 9-7" thread, aka The Impossible Dream.

http://northshorewritersguild.com/wp-content/photos/don_quixote.gif

imatexan
12-05-2010, 10:28 PM
If we made the playoffs?

I know I have already said in the past that this season was all but done for us, but after reviewing the rest of the schedule for the AFCS recently, I realized that Kubiak popping the cherry really isn't as far fetched as I initially thought it was.

Jags Remainder of Schedule (7-5):

OAK@JAC
JAC@IND
WAS@JAC
JAC@HOU

Colts ROS (6-6):

IND@TEN
JAC@IND
IND@OAK
TEN@IND

Texans ROS (5-7):

BAL@HOU
HOU@TEN
HOU@DEN
JAC@HOU

Titans are irrelevant in my eyes; they seem to be done for this season. But if you must, 2-IND 1-HOU 1-KC. They're going to be 7-9 at best when it's all said and done.

The most important part when looking at these schedules are the divisional games. HOU & JAC with 2 each and IND with 3.

A must for Operations:TP (Texans Playoffs) to be successful.

Jac losing at Indy

Indy losing at Ten

Hou winning out

As for statistics:

Jacksonville is currently 3-1 in the division; having the last two on the road. They are currently 3-3 on the road. Now, their first divisional game will be at Indy, where they posted a 2/9 record against them, only winning by a FG or less in both affairs. Keep in mind that Jacksonville has never swept Indy before, and they have already won one earlier this season against Indy.
We need them to lose against Indy for us to have any hope of getting into the PO; as I can't see them dropping three, if they get the sweep on Indy. Houston winning out would most likely be irrelevant if the Jags completes the sweep.

Indy is 1-2 in the division, and has dropped the last two games at home after the NE game. They are 2-4 on the road for this season, and could drop games against a dangerous OAK team or TEN, who has matched-up well against Indy in the past. If they win against TEN, then we need them to lose two of their last three; if they lose against TEN, then we need to just worry about ourselves.

Houston, as of now, is 2-2 in the division. Our biggest internal obstacle is getting past Baltimore next week. We are have an lousy 3-3 record at home, but we have shown in past time to get a win against visiting teams who should have mutilated us, during our annual 'Late-Season Push for Mediocrities'. The teams that we got the upset over, came in with the impressive records of:

'06 INDY (11-3)
'07 TB (8-4)
'08 TEN (11-1)
'09 NE (10-5)

Next week, Balty will be coming in with a record of 9-3/8-4. Nothing special as we've faced team and overcame them with better records, before. Oh, and another fun fact to throw out there, we've been undefeated in week 14 since the arrival of Matt Schaub in 2007, each time with our trademark 5-7 records. Throw in the fact that we'll be wearing our owner's beloved battle red jerseys, we might have Lady Luck on our side for MNF.

So, even after what happen to us in the last 5 weeks, all is not lost.. yet. This team needs to pull another underdog victory for one last push towards the playoffs. We need to win out to win this division. If we can getpast Balty, then we have an easy lane towards the playoffs (which we will probably screw up). If this scenario does play out, then we will be playing JAC at home, in battle red, for the first time on SNF for the divisional title; which is a game I'm sure we'll win. Divisional title or not, SNF or not.

If all of the above happens, we'll have a three-way tie for the AFC-S:

HOU, IND, JAC: 9-7

We will win the tie-breaker, for we will have a 4-2 record in the division, with IND & JAC posting a 3-3 records.

We will probably then go on to get our asses handed to us against NYJ/NE or PIT/BAL. But we will finally, at last, have that taste of the PO.

So, back to the question: Considering past rumors having big name coaches stating they would 'love to work for McNair (Namely: Bill Cowher), would you be content with keeping Kubiak if we do manage to get into the post-season?

As far fetched as this is I can buy most of it for now but I cant buy that Tenn is going to beat the Colts.

PockyAF
12-05-2010, 10:32 PM
It's not better. And now it's combined.

Look, everyone here knows that Kubiak would be retained if the Texans made the playoffs. There's no argument there. So, feel free to run through all of the possible scenarios that would put the Texans in the playoffs. Just do it in the "Texans in the playoffs at 9-7" thread, aka The Impossible Dream.

We all know Kubiak is going to be retained, regardless of playoffs or not, due to the lockout most likely happening; plus McNair infatuation with the story of a Houston-native HC taking us to the promise land. The biggest change at coaching staff will be the DC. Yet we have all this pointless, redundant Kubiak threads that is discussing something that we know won't happen.

But we're giving our opinions on what we think about that unsaid-fact. Same thing with my post.

Oh, and left out the picture in the quote for it's ridiculous size.

Oh, and it was better because it had fun facts in the post.

houstonspartan
12-05-2010, 10:44 PM
We all know Kubiak is going to be retained, regardless of playoffs or not, due to the lockout most likely happening; plus McNair infatuation with the story of a Houston-native HC taking us to the promise land. The biggest change at coaching staff will be the DC. Yet we have all this pointless, redundant Kubiak threads that is discussing something that we know won't happen.

But we're giving our opinions on what we think about that unsaid-fact. Same thing with my post.

Oh, and left out the picture in the quote for it's ridiculous size.

Oh, and it was better because it had fun facts in the post.

How do you know he'll be retained, playoffs or not?

The lockout is a non-issue. McNair has to sell something to season ticket holders, regardless of the lockout. Another year of Kubiak is a non-sell.

Lockout or not, Kubiak has not earned another year.

Period.

ChampionTexan
12-05-2010, 10:47 PM
To me, it's kind of obvious - you don't change the culture of a franchise (or the mindset of an owner) by becoming so bad that there's no way that the need for a change can be denied.

All that does is say that 2-14 (or 5-11 or 6-10) is below the level of performance that's considered to be satisfactory, but it doesn't change what that level is to begin with.

If the problem is that 8-8 (or 9-7 or 7-9) is too satisfactory to ownership, then the way you change it is to finish there often enough that they get tired of it and decide they want more. All finishing at 5-11 or 6-10 is going to do is make 8-8 look that much better.

Put another way, if you're driving a Toyota, and you're perfectly happy with it, with no inclination to upgrade to a Mercedes or BMW, suddenly being forced to drive a Kia, isn't going to make you want a Mercedes or a BMW, it's just going to make getting back into a Toyota look pretty darn good.

On the other hand, while it may take some people longer than others, eventually, most get tired of the status quo eventually, and want to do something about it.

DexmanC
12-05-2010, 10:52 PM
OP: We can still save it!

ER nurse: The season is gone... you can stop with the chest compressions.

OP: No! NOOOOOOO!

ER nurse: Please. Stop. Just let the season go.

OP: I can't! We have to keep trying to find a way to bring it back!

ER nurse: Really? It's been dead for weeks. Just let it go.....

Maybe TK can pull a John Q., and we'll make postseason after all.

Rey
12-05-2010, 11:00 PM

That's what is great about the human race. We can all think independently and it really doesn't matter whether or not someone understands your mindset.

I hope the Texans lose out and I am not afraid to say it.

I don't think the team is as good as they believe they are. I think that the 8-8 and 9-7 records have given them a false sense of complacency and hope.

They beat up on some teams that were not trying their hardest to win the game and teams that were in complete turmoil to achieve those records. Not that they haven't done ANYTHING good, but they have not achieved what they think they have.

Yes...I hope the Texans lose out. In fact I hope the get freaking embarrassed so they can wake up and realize that they are putting a shitty product out on the field and that they aren't "almost there".

Lucky
12-05-2010, 11:02 PM
We all know Kubiak is going to be retained, regardless of playoffs or not...
"We"? I know nothing of the sort. The Texans won't be in the playoffs and Kubiak will be asked to leave. That's how I see it.

PockyAF
12-05-2010, 11:03 PM
To me, it's kind of obvious - you don't change the culture of a franchise (or the mindset of an owner) by becoming so bad that there's no way that the need for a change can be denied.

All that does is say that 2-14 (or 5-11 or 6-10) is below the level of performance that's considered to be satisfactory, but it doesn't change what that level is to begin with.

If the problem is that 8-8 (or 9-7 or 7-9) is too satisfactory to ownership, then the way you change it is to finish there often enough that they get tired of it and decide they want more. All finishing at 5-11 or 6-10 is going to do is make 8-8 look that much better.

Put another way, if you're driving a Toyota, and you're perfectly happy with it, with no inclination to upgrade to a Mercedes or BMW, suddenly being forced to drive a Kia, isn't going to make you want a Mercedes or a BMW, it's just going to make getting back into a Toyota look pretty darn good.

On the other hand, while it may take some people longer than others, eventually, most get tired of the status quo eventually, and want to do something about it.

Exactamundo.

The excuses will be having the strongest SOS, and having a let-down from your 2nd year DC. Yada Yada, the usual. McNair will do what he, not the fans, thinks will help the team the most, which is cutting the weakest link on the staff while retaining what got us to be an explosive offense.

And tickets won't sell? Big-time offense sells, high scoring game sells, exciting ending to games sells (even when the V goes to the other team). Not only will tickets sell, we'll most likely have 2+ games on prime time next year. No way the NFL doesn't give us 2+ prime time games, after CBS/FOX switched to our games numerous times in the final minutes of the game this season. Especially if we notched another 4 pro-bowlers this year.

There's no problem with Mr.McNair bank. All good to go for money diving in the summer.

http://givemetherock.com/wp-content/uploads/scrooge-mcduck.jpg

Rey
12-05-2010, 11:08 PM
All finishing at 5-11 or 6-10 is going to do is make 8-8 look that much better.

I don't agree.

McNair is not stupid and people supporting the team aren't stupid.

No one is going to think that because this team finishes 6-10 this year that 8-8 should be the status quo for the next. Not unless the team is completely torn apart and re-built.

That said, it doesn't matter what we wish or what we want. The players and coaches are the ones out there performing on Sundays....So far they have failed with a capital F.

I hope that they do not win some meaningless games at the end of the year and think that they have improved and let down their guards going into next year.

eriadoc
12-05-2010, 11:13 PM

We win our last four.

There's where you lost me.

houstonspartan
12-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Exactamundo.

The excuses will be having the strongest SOS, and having a let-down from your 2nd year DC. Yada Yada, the usual. McNair will do what he, not the fans, thinks will help the team the most, which is cutting the weakest link on the staff while retaining what got us to be an explosive offense.

And tickets won't sell? Big-time offense sells, high scoring game sells, exciting ending to games sells (even when the V goes to the other team). Not only will tickets sell, we'll most likely have 2+ games on prime time next year. No way the NFL doesn't give us 2+ prime time games, after CBS/FOX switched to our games numerous times in the final minutes of the game this season. Especially if we notched another 4 pro-bowlers this year.

There's no problem with Mr.McNair bank. All good to go for money diving in the summer.

http://givemetherock.com/wp-content/uploads/scrooge-mcduck.jpg

Wrong.

If you don't think season ticket holders have finally seen through this team's bullshit, you are incorrect. We have seen the light. We are no longer impressed with stats. We want wins.

McNair can underestimate fans at his peril. It'll be his ass struggling to sell tickets.

ChampionTexan
12-05-2010, 11:36 PM
I don't agree.

McNair is not stupid and people supporting the team aren't stupid.

No one is going to think that because this team finishes 6-10 this year that 8-8 should be the status quo for the next. Not unless the team is completely torn apart and re-built.

That said, it doesn't matter what we wish or what we want. The players and coaches are the ones out there performing on Sundays....So far they have failed with a capital F.

I hope that they do not win some meaningless games at the end of the year and think that they have improved and let down their guards going into next year.

I realize what we want or wish has no impact on what happens, but it's still what you've said you think is in the best interest of the team, so let me ask you a question - and you can pick which one you believe applies:

If McNair thinks 8-8 is acceptable/satisfactory, how does finishing worse than that change his mind?

If McNair doesn't think 8-8 is satisfactory, then why is it an advantage to lose every game from here on our?

DexmanC
12-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Wrong.

If you don't think season ticket holders have finally seen through this team's bullshit, you are incorrect. We have seen the light. We are no longer impressed with stats. We want wins.

McNair can underestimate fans at his peril. It'll be his ass struggling to sell tickets.

This is where I agree. Many fans are starting to see the fallacy in
things like leading the NFL in yards, but winding up 9-7 against a
weak schedule and out of the playoffs. Rex Ryan gave us all
a coach to contrast against Kubiak with Hard Knocks. He challenged
his team to lead the league in one stat: Wins. Rex Ryan actually
said "'F That." while referencing how "well" his team did at 9-7 last year.

Kubiak's team can not focus when they have the lead. That's true
during games, and also true on their win-loss record. The Texans
focus best when they are down 2-scores, and when they are
sub .500. Neither is conducive to winning championships.

PockyAF
12-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Wrong.

Yea, bullshit dude. Who's "we"? You and the other 100 anti-Kubiak fans on this board? Let's see how quickly that 100 seats will be filled next year. This post has you thinking you're the spoke person of all Texans fan; which my did as well. But let's let the past shows us who's more right and wrong.

Now, I was still a noob at being a pro-football spectator and everything that goes along in the business side, but how many sellouts did we have during the Caper years? How many in the 2-14 year? How many sellouts have we had overall as a franchise?

Our team now average twice as much wins as the past regime does, and has the entertaining offense to go along with it. But, hey, let's see what the attendance records says:

The Houston Texans have played their home games at Reliant Stadium since their inception in 2002. The annual calendar consists of 8 regular season and 2 pre-season games, plus any playoff games the Texans might host. The first game played was on August 24, 2002, in front of 69,432 in attendance as the Texans hosted the Miami Dolphins in their first preseason game. The first regular season game was played on September 8 of that year, where the expansion Texans defeated the Dallas Cowboys 19-10 in front of 69,604.

The first Monday Night Football game in Texans history was held on December 1, 2008 at Reliant Stadium. Playing in front of a then franchise-record crowd of 70,809, the Texans defeated the Jacksonville Jaguars 30-17. - oh look at that, soldout and we were 4-7 going into that game, getting our asses recently handed to us by Balty, Minny, and Indy; and starting out the season 0-4.

Since then that record crowd has been broken in the next 2 Texans home games of that season.

Their December 7 home game against the Tennessee Titans saw a then record-crowd of 70,831 and the December 28 home finale against the Chicago Bears drew then a current franchise-crowd record of 70,838. - Say what?!? Home attendance record broken three times in another year of mediocrities? Say it ain't say Joe, say it ain't so. Don't these fools realize that it's yet another 8-8 season?

That record was broken on November 23, 2009, when a record crowd of 71,153 were in attendance during the Texans second ever Monday Night Football game against Houston's former NFL team, the Tennessee Titans. The Texans home finale of the 2009 season against the New England Patriots on January 3, 2010 drew 71,029 - Oh yes, we finally got over the hump and got that winning record. Hip hip, horray. Mmmmh mediocrities taste good..

On September 26, 2010 against the Dallas Cowboys drew 71,456, the largest crowd ever to see a Texans game at Reliant Stadium.

-wiki

With one home game remaining in the 2009 season, the Texans home attendance figures rank among the best in the NFL.

This is despite the fact that the Texans have yet to sniff the playoffs and haven't posted a winning season in their seven years of existence.

Can you imagine what this place would be like if the Texans became a legit playoff contender every season?

According to ESPN.com, the Texans are averaging 70,547 tickets sold per game which ranks ninth in the NFL.

Paid attendance for Texans games is 99.3% of stadium capacity which is 12th in the league. Reliant Stadium capacity is 71,054.

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/texans-home-attendance-remains-strong-despite-team-s-lack-of-success

Tasty mediocrity is tasty. Most true Texans fan resides on this board. They know that there's problem with the current team; where as the other 70,000 fans go for the entertainment purposes, doing business, etc. The sellouts hasn't stop yet, why should next year be any different, when we have yet another 8-8 or so record, a shiny, new DC and more high draft picks instilled in the defense?

There's nothing that says it will change, HoustonSpartan. Face it, you're talking out of your ass, and have yet to provide any evidence to say it will. If you want to change it, the fans will need to step up and show not only McNair, or the whole city, but the whole NFL world that you won't stand for it. Until then, enjoy Kubiak and the 8-8 seasons, and hope that the late, and almost meaningless, playoffs push at the end of every season will actually go in our favor for once.

houstonspartan
12-06-2010, 12:09 AM
Yea, bullshit dude. Who's "we"? You and the other 100 anti-Kubiak fans on this board? Let's see how quickly that 100 seats will be filled next year. This post has you thinking you're the spoke person of all Texans fan; which my did as well. But let's let the past shows us who's more right and wrong.

Now, I was still a noob at being a pro-football spectator and everything that goes along in the business side, but how many sellouts did we have during the Caper years? How many in the 2-14 year? How many sellouts have we had overall as a franchise?

Our team now average twice as much wins as the past regime does, and has the entertaining offense to go along with it. But, hey, let's see what the attendance records says:

-wiki

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/texans-home-attendance-remains-strong-despite-team-s-lack-of-success

Tasty mediocrity is tasty. Most true Texans fan resides on this board. They know that there's problem with the current team; where as the other 70,000 fans go for the entertainment purposes, doing business, etc. The sellouts hasn't stop yet, why should next year be any different, when we have yet another 8-8 or so record, a shiny, new DC and more high draft picks instilled in the defense?

There's nothing that says it will change, HoustonSpartan. Face it, you're talking out of your ass, and have yet to provide any evidence to say it will. If you want to change it, the fans will need to step up and show not only McNair, or the whole city, but the whole NFL world that you won't stand for it. Until then, enjoy Kubiak and the 8-8 seasons, and hope that the late, and almost meaningless, playoffs push at the end of every season will actually go in our favor for once.

Did you even read my post?

My point: THIS is the year that the fans have opened their eyes. Yes, we had a record sellout of tickets this past pre-season, but that was becuase we were expected to be Super Bowl-bound. And, in addition, we beat the hell out of the Cowboys in the pre-season, which ramped up expectations even more.

Who'se "we" you ask? Me. A season ticket holder. And several of my friends. And several of the people in my section. Even the most die-hard Texans fans I know have had enough.

More proof: I have a PSL. The lady in the seats right next to mine didn't have to pay a PSL fee. Those seats have been open for the last three years, and the Texans have been desperate to sell them. They are so desperate that for the lady next to me, not only did she NOT have to pay a $1,000 PSL fee (like I did) but the Texans tossed in a free weekly membership to the fancy Churasso's buffet held every Sunday in the Methodist bubble.

In addition, she told me that she's not sure if she's renewing her tickets for next year, based on what she's seen on the field.

My point: The economy is still struggling, and people have to make choices.'

You think fans are stupid and have no say in things and that McNair owes us nothing. I disagree. The man is clearing something like $30 million a year off this team. Where is that cash coming from? The Money Fairy?

So, no, I'm not talking out of my ass. But clearly you are.

PockyAF
12-06-2010, 12:29 AM
Did you even read my post?

My point: THIS is the year that the fans have opened their eyes. Yes, we had a record sellout of tickets this past pre-season, but that was becuase we were expected to be Super Bowl-bound. And, in addition, we beat the hell out of the Cowboys in the pre-season, which ramped up expectations even more.

Who'se "we" you ask? Me. A season ticket holder. And several of my friends. And several of the people in my section. Even the most die-hard Texans fans I know have had enough.

More proof: I have a PSL. The lady in the seats right next to mine didn't have to pay a PSL fee. Those seats have been open for the last three years, and the Texans have been desperate to sell them. They are so desperate that for the lady next to me, not only did she NOT have to pay a $1,000 PSL fee (like I did) but the Texans tossed in a free weekly membership to the fancy Churasso's buffet held every Sunday in the Methodist bubble.

In addition, she told me that she's not sure if she's renewing her tickets for next year, based on what she's seen on the field.

My point: The economy is still struggling, and people have to make choices.'

You think fans are stupid and have no say in things and that McNair owes us nothing. I disagree. The man is clearing something like $30 million a year off this team. Where is that cash coming from? The Money Fairy?

So, no, I'm not talking out of my ass. But clearly you are.

Uh-huh. You still think you're the spoke person of the TFO -Texans Fans Org. when clearly, you know nothing of what the other "fans" are thinking besides the one that resides on this MB. Oh wow, only a couple seats next to you still unsold. Go scurry around the stadium next time and try to find 30-40 more. Then you'll be 1/5 of the way to uncovering the .7% of the seats unsold. Considering the current economic problems with the citizens of this nations, you think that having .7% unsold on avgerage is really that big of a deal compared to the rest of the league? Tampa Bay is one of the best team in the league and they're having huge problems getting their home crowds to buy their tickets.

Texans desperately trying to sell them? Ha. They're swimming in the filthy money, saving money by keeping the current staff and their mediocre FAs on their cheap contract. That + .7% being left unsold, vs. paying Cowher $10 million a year, hauling in more new coaches, and turning the defense upside down to bring in 3-4 players. You think they're really crying over the .7% seats being unsold?

You did get one thing right.. "we" is you. Congrats on talking on your own behalf. Still waiting to see the rest of the town following suit. They love the first 8 1/2 years of turrrible-mediocrities, I'm sure they'll love next year too.

But hey, let the next game be an indicator of what is to come next year from the massive herd of sheeps.

And I'm talking out of my ass? I could provide a powerpoint providing evidence as to why the economic income of the organization will see microscopical-nil changes while you're still rambling on about fans opening their mystical eyes and finally realizing that their hometown team has been blowing chunks for 8 1/2 years. Uh-huh.

houstonspartan
12-06-2010, 12:35 AM
Uh-huh. You still think you're the spoke person of the TFO -Texans Fans Org. when clearly, you know nothing of what the other "fans" are thinking besides the one that resides on this MB. Oh wow, a total of three seats next to you still unsold. Go scurry around the stadium next time and try to find 30-40 more. Then you'll be 1/5 of the way to uncovering the .7% of the seats unsold. Texans desperately trying to sell them? Ha. They're swimming in the filthy money, saving money by keeping the current staff and their mediocre FAs on their cheap contract. That + .7% being left unsold, vs. paying Cowher $10 million a year, hauling in more new coaches, and turning the defense upside down to bring in 3-4 players. You think they're really crying over the .7% seats being unsold?

You did get one thing right.. "we" is you. Congrats on talking on your own behalf. Still waiting to see the rest of the town following suit. They love the first 8 1/2 years of turrrible-mediocrities, I'm sure they'll love next year too.

But hey, let the next game be an indicator of what is to come next year from the massive herd of sheeps.

And I'm talking out of my ass? I could provide a powerpoint providing evidence as to why the economic income of the organization will see microscopical-nil changes while you're still rambling on about fans opening their mystical eyes and finally realizing that their hometown team has been blowing chunks for 8 1/2 years. Uh-huh.

lol. Ok dude, whatever. As I said, McNair isn't dumb. Ignoring fans would be a mistake this year. And, when you starting putting YOUR cash on the line, then we can talk. I pay the bills at Reliant. You don't.

80tothezone
12-06-2010, 01:20 AM

Well playoffs this year wouldn't do much for the franchise long term ( no way we win the conference with our D) and it might let horrible coaches keep their jobs. I want our first playoff trip to be the first of many for several years in a row ... not a flash in the pan fluke.

80tothezone
12-06-2010, 01:30 AM

Blown out or not ... we find ways to loose....Amazing ways to loose at that. In the beginning of the season we saw a glimpse of what it is like to have a team that finds amazing ways to win. We don't have that and that is what it would take for this team to win in the playoffs... after a 1 game run into the playoffs then next year we would have the same 8-8 coaching staff that we have had for years..

8-8 is okay... but I want the texans to be better than okay I want them to be great... a team that when people look at their schedule and see the red white and blue bull the damn near shit their pants

I just don't think that would happen with this coaching staff. And if playoffs this year keep them on board so we can wallow in mediocrity for another year then no I don't want to make it just to get blown out the first game we get there which is what will happen with this horrid D.

80tothezone
12-06-2010, 01:41 AM
I don't hate Kubiak enough, or love Cowher enough to want my team to miss the play-offs.

Don't get me wrong not rooting for us to loose I want us to win out but as the second half of that post says win loose or draw I want them gone. It's hard to explain I guess .... I want success for the texans but regardless I want kubes and bush gone or at least bush .... Maybe I didn't word it correctly but that sums up my feelings on the matter and part of me worries that if we were to luck into the playoffs at 9-7 those jobs might be saved and we will be stuck with the same people making the same bad decisions next year.

Maddict5
12-06-2010, 07:34 AM
As far fetched as this is I can buy most of it for now but I cant buy that Tenn is going to beat the Colts.

that doesnt have to happen. its pretty simple what needs to:

colts lose 1 more game
jags lose 1 more game (aswell as us beating em wk 17)
we win out
=texans in the playoffs

ravens game looks TOUGH though. that'll more than likely end it for us

CloakNNNdagger
12-06-2010, 08:08 AM
Texans Marketing Division has always prevailed.

http://thebrandbuilder.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/snake-oil-2.jpg?w=372&h=440

DerekLee1
12-06-2010, 08:16 AM
that doesnt have to happen. its pretty simple what needs to:

colts lose 1 more game
jags lose 1 more game (aswell as us beating em wk 17)
we win out
=texans in the playoffs

ravens game looks TOUGH though. that'll more than likely end it for us

The Jags' loss would also have to be a division game.

Mailman
12-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Fun with Yahoo's playoff generator! (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=custom&12=14504514&13=15510555&14=54541054&15=00025554&16=05000154)

Believe it or not, the Texans have a legitimate shot at a #4 seed and a home game in the first round of the playoffs (against the NYJ in this particular scenario). The key is obviously winning out, duh, and getting help from the Oakland Raiders this week against the Jags and week 16 against the Colts.

In this scenario the Texans would finish tied with the Colts at 9-7 but win the tiebreaker by virtue of a better conference record.

Commence laughing and scoffing now.....but remember what you were doing this time last year and what you were doing four weeks later when the Jets were playing the Bengals the last week of the season.

There is football left to be played, guys. Let's see what happens.

DX-TEX
12-06-2010, 10:27 AM
If we somehow get by the Ravens my aspirations will perk up. After them the last 3 are very winnable. But the Ravens games scares the bejesus out of me.

dalemurphy
12-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Fun with Yahoo's playoff generator! (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=custom&12=14504514&13=15510555&14=54541054&15=00025554&16=05000154)

Believe it or not, the Texans have a legitimate shot at a #4 seed and a home game in the first round of the playoffs (against the NYJ in this particular scenario). The key is obviously winning out, duh, and getting help from the Oakland Raiders this week against the Jags and week 16 against the Colts.

In this scenario the Texans would finish tied with the Colts at 9-7 but win the tiebreaker by virtue of a better conference record.

Commence laughing and scoffing now.....but remember what you were doing this time last year and what you were doing four weeks later when the Jets were playing the Bengals the last week of the season.

There is football left to be played, guys. Let's see what happens.

The Texans also win the division if:

Texans win out.

Jacksonville loses to Indy.

Indy loses to Tennessee (once)

Mailman
12-06-2010, 10:34 AM
On review, the Raiders don't have to win @Jac for the same home playoff game. The Texans would win a three-way 9-7 tiebreaker.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=custom&12=14504514&13=05510555&14=54541054&15=00005554&16=04000154

HTown2ATX
12-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Sure, there's still hope....always keep believing Jimmy!!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__ykb2FvxfgI/SJ0er6kEQ7I/AAAAAAAABfo/-e_LEelTcQs/s400/carebear.jpg

Oh no Jimmy, here come those posters "blinded by rage" that spout reality that the team is not that good....

http://images-mediawiki-sites.thefullwiki.org/09/1/9/7/52527612146131642.png

Doing this motion now at this....

http://www.cathrynbeeksordeal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/shake_weight_for_men-300x219.jpg

CloakNNNdagger
12-06-2010, 02:34 PM
What's amazing is how anyone really gives the Texans a chance for the playoffs, when the only back-to-back wins they have garnered this year were the first two (and that 2nd one only by the whiskers of their chinny chin chin).

JB
12-06-2010, 02:54 PM
What's amazing is how anyone really gives the Texans a chance for the playoffs, when the only back-to-back wins they have garnered this year were the first two (and that 2nd one only by the whiskers of their chinny chin chin).

Yeah, but 'tis the season...

And you can bet your sweet bippy that's what Smith is telling McNair.

Double Barrel
12-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Hoping for losses is why Houston football will never prosper.

hmmmm...so if we collectively hope for wins enough as a fan base they will win more games? :um:

Seriously, I can't figure out this post. Is it sarcasm and my detector is broken today? Is it "for real" and you really think that the mental state of fans - positive or negative - actually effects the play on the field?

I'm not wired that way, either. However, I'm not going to chastise someone else for wanting short term pain for long term strategic plans for success.

Wrong.

I wish you were right, but I think that the overwhelming number of corporations that own PSL's do not have feelings about wins or losses and see it as an economic investment. Otherwise, how could the franchise brag about so many consecutive "sell outs" but yet the stadium is so often not full of fans?

CloakNNNdagger
12-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Yeah, but 'tis the season...

And you can bet your sweet bippy that's what Smith is telling McNair.

............to be delusional...........:rake:

ThaShark316
12-06-2010, 09:06 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/2eur8dj.jpg

Lucky
12-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Commence laughing and scoffing now....
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-eg3I-9xs_w/Sg2SKATh-QI/AAAAAAAAAZM/jcacEIk566E/s400/lold.jpg

The Texans effectively were out of the playoffs at this point last year. Despite winning out and having 99 out of 100 games break their way.

Q: Who's more likely to win out?

The Colts? (@Titans, Jags, @Raiders, Titans)
The Jags? (Raiders, @Colts, Skins, @Texans)
The Texans? (Ravens, @Titans, @Broncos, Jags)

A: Not the Texans.

Norg
12-06-2010, 11:17 PM
U know there is even a way to win the divison with a 8-8

thunderkyss
12-07-2010, 02:51 AM

Been there, done that......

thunderkyss
12-07-2010, 02:53 AM

letting them take their lumps is not the same as rooting for them to lose.

That would be like hoping your kid gets herpes.

thunderkyss
12-07-2010, 03:20 AM
Cant wait for the next thread "Texans in the playoffs at 8-8" after monday night. This team couldnt take advantage of the soft schedule last year and now our division sucks this year but we just had to suck a little more. ha

Last year, our "soft schedule" was still against a winning percentage (.504 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=4027503))..... it was only a soft schedule compared to the years before (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?confirm=true&id=09000d5d809fbfa9&template=with-video)& after (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/21479/2010-strength-of-schedule)(.547)

An easy schedule would be one where our opponents average below .500, Like the schedule the Cardinals, Rams, Seahawks, & 49ers have (the whole division, among the five easiest schedules...... hmmm)

This year, the Bears & the Vikings have schedules similar to ours last year (.504)

The Bears are 9-3, the next four games are tough, they may only win 1 & end the season 10-6.

The Vikings (who everyone agreed, at least last year, is a much better team) are 5-7...... they've just fired their coach & have games against the Giants, Bears, Eagles, & Lions.....

thunderkyss
12-07-2010, 03:26 AM
I don't want the team to lose either and I won't root for them to lose, but I do expect it happen (and it happens more than not) and I want our DAMN OWNER to wake the hell up and acknowledge the failure that is Gary Kubiak....and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. RABBLE! RABBLE! RABBLE! :)

So if we beat the Ravens....... would that be enough proof that the owner did "SOMETHING ABOUT IT"?

Or will you only be satisfied if they fired Kubiak right now, promote Dennison? Fire Bush, promote Johnny Holland?

thunderkyss
12-07-2010, 03:42 AM
The Texans also win the division if:

Texans win out.

Jacksonville loses to Indy.

Indy loses to Tennessee (once)

If we beat Baltimore, we'll have an inside run at the final Wild-Card.

They are 8-4 with these games remaining...
Houston
New Orleans
Cleveland
Cincinnati

If we beat them, New Orleans beats them, & the Browns beat them (It could happen) we're in.

97roc
12-07-2010, 05:41 AM
So if we beat the Ravens....... would that be enough proof that the owner did "SOMETHING ABOUT IT"?

Or will you only be satisfied if they fired Kubiak right now, promote Dennison? Fire Bush, promote Johnny Holland?

or promote Kollar?

panamamyers
12-07-2010, 10:17 AM
If we beat Baltimore, we'll have an inside run at the final Wild-Card.

They are 8-4 with these games remaining...
Houston
New Orleans
Cleveland
Cincinnati

If we beat them, New Orleans beats them, & the Browns beat them (It could happen) we're in.

Yeah over the Ravens maybe...what about the Chargers, Raiders, Chiefs, Dolphins, ....

I would find it hard to believe that the Chargers wouldn't finish at least 9-7. If that were the case, then we would have to hope that the Chiefs have fallen back down to us and we tie them too. Not sure how the tiebreaker goes from there.

We have a much simpler road to winning the division.

If the Titans can pull a shocker this Thursday and the Texans can win on Monday, the road really gets simple for us.

All we would really need to have happen is the Jags lose at Indy the following week and we are back to controlling our own destiny.

Norg
12-07-2010, 01:43 PM
i think there is even a scnerio were we can get a WC spot at 9-7

VTexan
12-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo what's going to spark this wonderful turnaround?

Thorn
12-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo what's going to spark this wonderful turnaround?

We'll have to wait for December 21, 2012. That the day the world ends, and that's the day the Texans will be in the playoffs. It's our fate.

In other news, the weather is nice today. :)

tedr
12-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Yeah over the Ravens maybe...what about the Chargers, Raiders, Chiefs, Dolphins, ....

I would find it hard to believe that the Chargers wouldn't finish at least 9-7. If that were the case, then we would have to hope that the Chiefs have fallen back down to us and we tie them too. Not sure how the tiebreaker goes from there.

We have a much simpler road to winning the division.

If the Titans can pull a shocker this Thursday and the Texans can win on Monday, the road really gets simple for us.

All we would really need to have happen is the Jags lose at Indy the following week and we are back to controlling our own destiny.

Actually, we could control our own destiny by the time we play our game Monday night. If the Colts and Jax lose this weekend (a big if), and we win out, we'll win the division, no matter what they do. Assuming we win out and they both lose this weekend, we'll have the tiebreaker advantage in virtually all scenarios. If they don't both lose, then it gets a little trickier.

HTown2ATX
12-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Sure, there's still hope....always keep believing Jimmy!!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__ykb2FvxfgI/SJ0er6kEQ7I/AAAAAAAABfo/-e_LEelTcQs/s400/carebear.jpg

Oh no Jimmy, here come those posters "blinded by rage" that spout reality that the team is not that good....

http://images-mediawiki-sites.thefullwiki.org/09/1/9/7/52527612146131642.png

Doing this motion now at this....

http://www.cathrynbeeksordeal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/shake_weight_for_men-300x219.jpg

LMAO...

I got neg repped for this??? THIS??? LMAO

How was I being a D*** exactly? By making fun of eveyone at war with each other....including myself. It's funny how people are calling those of us who call out this team as being "blinded by anger".....yet I'm the one that gets neg repped....wait....and I'm the angry one?

yeowza

I guess I was bound to get my 1st neg rep at some point....just didn't think it would be for a frickin carebear.....W-O-W

dc_txtech
12-07-2010, 03:28 PM
LMAO...

How was I being a D*** exactly? By making fun of eveyone at war with each other....including myself. It's funny how people are calling those of us who call out this team as being "blinded by anger".....yet I'm the one that gets neg repped....wait....and I'm the angry one?

yeowza

I guess I was bound to get my 1st neg rep at some point....just didn't think it would be for a frickin carebear.....W-O-W

I would get you back but I gotta spread it around.

Tensions get high between the Doom and Gloomers and the Sunshine Club this time of year...

Thorn
12-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Tensions get high between the Doom and Gloomers and the Sunshine Club this time of year...

That struck me as really funny! :lol:

HTown2ATX
12-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Lol...thanks man. I know tensions are just high....I got nothin against the person that negged me....i actually like some of their posts....oh well.

everyone is just pissed one way or the other right now.

steelbtexan
12-07-2010, 03:47 PM
LMAO...

yeowza

Love the carebear

LOL

Here's some rep. I hope it makes up for delusional fan.

disaacks3
12-07-2010, 03:53 PM

Bill COWER FOR PRESIDENT!!! No need to hope, I'm pretty sure Kubes & company will handle that feat quite easily.

Cool fan there, hoping we don't make the playoffs, lol. Like I said, no need to hope.

Now you know how I feel, in regards to fans that are willing to continue accepting the mediocrity of this coaching staff. Heck, I think mediocre would be a step up at this point.

I would get you back but I gotta spread it around.

Tensions get high between the Doom and Gloomers and the Sunshine Club this time of year... It's because THIS time of year, those hopes have been well and truly dashed time and time again.

Maddict5
12-08-2010, 07:29 AM
The Jags' loss would also have to be a division game.

nope.. they could beat the colts & titans but if we still beat them and they lose to the redskins, we're in

Ole Miss Texan
12-08-2010, 08:17 AM
nope.. they could beat the colts & titans but if we still beat them and they lose to the redskins, we're in

Do I have it right: Texans win out and if Jags/Colts/Tits lose just one of their other games then we're in as division winners?

If that's true, this has got to be pasted all over the Texans locker room. The odds are in our favor if we win out. The Jags, Colts, and Tats all play each other. Other games include Oakland, Kansas City and Washington. While KC may be the only "playoff" team... OAK and WAS really arent that bad and can definitely beat them.

tedr
12-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Do I have it right: Texans win out and if Jags/Colts/Tits lose just one of their other games then we're in as division winners?

If that's true, this has got to be pasted all over the Texans locker room. The odds are in our favor if we win out. The Jags, Colts, and Tats all play each other. Other games include Oakland, Kansas City and Washington. While KC may be the only "playoff" team... OAK and WAS really arent that bad and can definitely beat them.

This is true, as long as the Texans, Colts, and Jags don't end up tied at the end with the Colts one loss being to the Jags. In that case, the first tiebreaker would be head-to-head against the teams you're tied with - Jags would be 3-1, Texans would be 2-2, and Colts would be 1-3 - and the Jags would win the division. In any other scenario, we should have the tiebreaker advantage.

BetaV1
12-08-2010, 10:02 AM

If that's true, this has got to be pasted all over the Texans locker room.

Actually, I recommend the opposite: have Kubes post a false memo telling the players that they are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. This team plays its best football when there's nothing to play for. :texflag:

tedr
12-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Actually, I recommend the opposite: have Kubes post a false memo telling the players that they are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. This team plays its best football when there's nothing to play for. :texflag:

Ha! Good point.

thunderkyss
12-08-2010, 10:22 AM

Probability is slim... we all know that. But to me, it doesn't make sense to give up now. To stop supporting the Texans now.

If we beat Baltimore, & they somehow finish 9-7, we'd win the final Wildcard.

too much at stake now.

However, just so I'm clear, even though I've been saying this all year long. IMO, even if the Texans make the play-offs at 9-7, whether it's as division champs, or the wild card, we can't just be competitive in one game. For me to support Kubiak staying the Texans head coach, we have to make a serious run for the Super Bowl.

Losing a competitive divisional play-off game might do it, but I've got to see the game. If we lose that game because of the same Tom Foolery we've seen over our 4 game losing streak, I wouldn't support him.

& this is me. This is my opinion, if Bob chooses to continue with Kubiak, that's his decision, & I'm not going to cry about it. Just like I didn't cry when they gave Carr $8mill. I stated my displeasure & moved on.

Heck, I bought a Carr jersey to show my support.....

for the team.

Double Barrel
12-08-2010, 10:32 AM
If we beat Baltimore, & they somehow finish 9-7, we'd win the final Wildcard.

wow, that's a really big If. :photos:

HOU-TEX
12-08-2010, 10:52 AM
wow, that's a really big If. :photos:

Have we ever seen a TK post without big If's?

DX-TEX
12-08-2010, 11:21 AM
http://content.ytmnd.com/content/7/4/f/74f695c0c972511457de77c4f408f250.jpg

:cow:

Ole Miss Texan
12-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Wow, if Jacksonville wins the next two weeks (home against OAK and then at IND) then the Jags are guaranteed a playoff spot and we'll miss out. We have to be rooting for Oakland this weekend.

If the Jags win then it's a MUST that Indy beats them the following week. Assuming Indy wins this week at TEN and then the game against JAC... then all they have to do is lose either against OAK or the next TEN and we will go.

mattieuk
12-08-2010, 12:35 PM
However, just so I'm clear, even though I've been saying this all year long. IMO, even if the Texans make the play-offs at 9-7, whether it's as division champs, or the wild card, we can't just be competitive in one game. For me to support Kubiak staying the Texans head coach, we have to make a serious run for the Super Bowl.

Losing a competitive divisional play-off game might do it, but I've got to see the game. If we lose that game because of the same Tom Foolery we've seen over our 4 game losing streak, I wouldn't support him.

Call me crazy but for the alst couple of years I've thought that the Texans would be an excellent playoffs team, if we could make the playoffs - we just can't get through the boring 16 weeks of game play to get there. In a one off game, we can pull it out - putting a run at the division together over a couple of months if a mucher taller task.

Thorn
12-08-2010, 12:36 PM
None of this speculation means anything if we don't beat Baltimore on Monday night. Now how many of yall really think that's going to happen?

Ole Miss Texan
12-08-2010, 12:46 PM
None of this speculation means anything if we don't beat Baltimore on Monday night. Now how many of yall really think that's going to happen?
http://rlv.zcache.com/this_guy_card-p137245109571771197q0yk_400.jpg
... by at least 13 points.

Hervoyel
12-08-2010, 12:50 PM

Baltimore is going to leave a Schaub colored stain on the field Monday Night. No meaningless 4-0 run for Gary's Kids this year I think.

tedr
12-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Wow, if Jacksonville wins the next two weeks (home against OAK and then at IND) then the Jags are guaranteed a playoff spot and we'll miss out. We have to be rooting for Oakland this weekend.

If the Jags win then it's a MUST that Indy beats them the following week. Assuming Indy wins this week at TEN and then the game against JAC... then all they have to do is lose either against OAK or the next TEN and we will go.

Not necessarily. Even if Jacksonville wins against Oakland and Indy, we can still win the division, as long as Indy loses another game besides Jacksonville. If Jacksonville beats Oakland and Indy, loses to Washington, and then loses to us (assuming we run the table), we'll win the division as long as Indy also loses once more besides to Jacksonville. In that scenario, we would beat the Jags in the common games tiebreaker.

However, if Indy's only loss is to the Jags and it's a three-way tie between us, the Jags, and Colts, the Jags would win the division based on best W-L record against the other two teams.

dalemurphy
12-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Not necessarily. Even if Jacksonville wins against Oakland and Indy, we can still win the division, as long as Indy loses another game besides Jacksonville. If Jackson beats Oakland and Indy, loses to Washington, and then loses to us (assuming we run the table), we'll win the division as long as Indy also loses once more besides to Jacksonville. In that scenario, we would beat the Jags in the common games tiebreaker.

However, if Indy's only loss is to the Jags and it's a three-way tie between us, the Jags, and Colts, the Jags would win the division based on best W-L record against the other two teams.

I'm almost positive you are wrong. The Jags have have two losses in the division. If we beat them in week 17, they would have three. So, we would win the tiebreaker against them in that case, because we will have a split and a better division record. If we win out, Indy is the only team that could match our division record (assuming they win the two against Tennessee and the game against Jacksonville)... if that happens but they lose to Oakland, the Texans still win the tiebreaker against Tennessee.

The way I understand things, the Texans simply need the Colts and the Jags (plus the one in week 17 to us) to lose a game.

Texas T
12-08-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm almost positive you are wrong. The Jags have have two losses in the division. If we beat them in week 17, they would have three. So, we would win the tiebreaker against them in that case, because we will have a split and a better division record. If we win out, Indy is the only team that could match our division record (assuming they win the two against Tennessee and the game against Jacksonville)... if that happens but they lose to Oakland, the Texans still win the tiebreaker against Tennessee.

The way I understand things, the Texans simply need the Colts and the Jags (plus the one in week 17 to us) to lose a game.

And we need to win out...

dalemurphy
12-08-2010, 01:33 PM
And we need to win out...

oh yeah... minor details.

tedr
12-08-2010, 01:48 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm right. If Jacksonville beats Indy and either Washington or Oakland, and then loses to the Texans, they will finish with a 9-7 record and 4-2 in the division (they would have swept Indy, and split with the Texans and Tennessee). Houston would also be 9-7 with a 4-2 division record (we would have swept Tennessee, and split with Jacksonville and Indy). In a two-way tie with Jacksonville, because we split with them and have the same division record, it would go to the next tiebreaker, which is record in common games. We would win this tiebreaker, under the scenario I described.

However, if Indy only loses to Jacksonville and wins the rest of its games, it would also be 9-7 with a 3-3 division record. The first tiebreaker for a three-way division tie is record among the tied teams. Jacksonville would be 3-1 (swept Indy and split with us), Houston would be 2-2 (split with Jax and Indy), and Indy would be 1-3 (split with us, swept by Jax). Based on that, Jacksonville would win the division.

If you'd like to play out what I described, the Yahoo playoff generator (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=yahooranker)is a pretty handy tool.

dalemurphy
12-08-2010, 01:54 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm right. If Jacksonville beats Indy and either Washington or Oakland, and then loses to the Texans, they will finish with a 9-7 record and 4-2 in the division (they would have swept Indy, and split with the Texans and Tennessee). Houston would also be 9-7 with a 4-2 division record (we would have swept Tennessee, and split with Jacksonville and Indy). In a two-way tie with Jacksonville, because we split with them and have the same division record, it would go to the next tiebreaker, which is record in common games. We would win this tiebreaker, under the scenario I described.

However, if Indy only loses to Jacksonville and wins the rest of its games, it would also be 9-7 with a 3-3 division record. The first tiebreaker for a three-way division tie is record among the tied teams. Jacksonville would be 3-1 (swept Indy and split with us), Houston would be 2-2 (split with Jax and Indy), and Indy would be 1-3 (split with us, swept by Jax). Based on that, Jacksonville would win the division.

If you'd like to play out what I described, the Yahoo playoff generator (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=yahooranker)is a pretty handy tool.

Tedr... You are right. Thanks. I've been working off the assumption that Indy will beat Jacksonville in Indy.

I think we have a good shot to clear the decks for our 4 game run this week. The game the Colts are most likely to lose of their final four is this week's game at Tennessee (possible inclimate weather, also). And, certainly Jacksonville is about a pickem on the road against Oakland.

tedr
12-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Tedr... You are right. Thanks. I've been working off the assumption that Indy will beat Jacksonville in Indy.

I think we have a good shot to clear the decks for our 4 game run this week. The game the Colts are most likely to lose of their final four is this week's game at Tennessee (possible inclimate weather, also). And, certainly Jacksonville is about a pickem on the road against Oakland.

No problem. Actually, I think your scenario of Jacksonville losing at Indy for their only loss coming into the game against Houston is definitely the most likely- I'd like to think Oakland will beat Jacksonville in Jacksonville, but I don't know. Also, I think Indy has a decent shot at losing to Oakland. Oakland's hot, and since Indy has to travel there, I wouldn't be surprised to see Oakland favored. And, as you mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tennessee beat Indy tomorrow night.

Of course, all speculation about this is meaningless if the Texans don't take care of business, but if they do, these last four weeks should be pretty exciting.

Ole Miss Texan
12-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Not necessarily. Even if Jacksonville wins against Oakland and Indy, we can still win the division, as long as Indy loses another game besides Jacksonville. If Jackson beats Oakland and Indy, loses to Washington, and then loses to us (assuming we run the table), we'll win the division as long as Indy also loses once more besides to Jacksonville. In that scenario, we would beat the Jags in the common games tiebreaker.

You're right... this stuff is blowing my mind. So many variables.

JB
12-08-2010, 03:20 PM
You're right... this stuff is blowing my mind. So many variables.

There's better ways to do it... :bonghit:

SheTexan
12-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Almost laughable!! Our Texans on MNF against the Ravens!!! Our boys have an allergic reaction everytime they play on National TV and you guys seem to think we stand a chance in the playoffs!! GAWD, I hope you are right, but, I just don't see it happening! We SUCK on National TV!!!!! BUT, we will be in all RED, so maybe our boys will give us an early Christmas present!!:texflag:

valleytexfan
12-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Hold the firing squad...just curious. If we lose to Baltimore are we mathematically, totally, bonafide, straight up OUT? Or is there a 1% possibility if we win the final three. :thinking:

Thorn
12-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Hold the firing squad...just curious. If we lose to Baltimore are we mathematically, totally, bonafide, straight up OUT? Or is there a 1% possibility if we win the final three. :thinking:

First off we ain't winning the division, it's silly to even imagine it.

Secondly, even if there is a mathematical chance of us winning the division at 8-8, it wouldn't happen. After the Jacksonville and Philly games I believe we are cursed by the football gods for 2010 and no amount of hope will do anyone any good except for maybe setting themselves up for ever greater heartbreak.

I believe the football gods are angry with Houston and have been for the last fifty years. I don't know why, but I'm sure it's true as there is no other seemingly reasonable explanation for our misfortunes.

tedr
12-08-2010, 04:27 PM

No, we're not out. In fact, we could conceivably win the division even with a 7-9 record, since we would hold almost all of the tiebreaker advantages.

Of course, even if we win out, we're not guaranteed a spot. After the next two weeks, things should clear up considerably.

CloakNNNdagger
12-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Almost laughable!! Our Texans on MNF against the Ravens!!! Our boys have an allergic reaction everytime they play on National TV and you guys seem to think we stand a chance in the playoffs!! GAWD, I hope you are right, but, I just don't see it happening! We SUCK on National TV!!!!! BUT, we will be in all RED, so maybe our boys will give us an early Christmas present!!:texflag:

Or the decision for all RED may be to mask their anticipating another national TV embarassment.

http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/face-embarrassedpng-cca965a02600e18d.png:texflag:

dalemurphy
12-08-2010, 05:10 PM
No, we're not out. In fact, we could conceivably win the division even with a 7-9 record, since we would hold almost all of the tiebreaker advantages.

Of course, even if we win out, we're not guaranteed a spot. After the next two weeks, things should clear up considerably.

At 8-8, with the one loss vs. Baltimore, here's an example of how we win the division:

Indy loses at Tennessee and at Oakland/or v. Tennessee.

Jacksonville loses at Oakland and at Indy.

We win our final three games.

Kimmy
12-10-2010, 09:02 AM
At 8-8, with the one loss vs. Baltimore, here's an example of how we win the division:

Indy loses at Tennessee and at Oakland/or v. Tennessee.

Jacksonville loses at Oakland and at Indy.

We win our final three games.

Time to recalculate

steelbtexan
12-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Man, I will be soooo glad when all of this stuff is put to bed.

The Texans haven't taken care of their business and I dont suspect they will start taking care of their business any time soon. Starting with the embarrassment that will happen on prime time NNF.

TheMatrix31
12-11-2010, 08:43 AM
The Texans haven't taken care of their business and I dont suspect they will start taking care of their business any time soon. Starting with the embarrassment that will happen on prime time NNF.

So what will you be watching on TV Monday night? Inquiring minds would like to know.

....given all the BS that's happened this year, the least you gotta do is give yourself a chance for something funky to happen. If we win this Baltimore game, it's all fair game. The next two teams we play are utter trash, and Jacksonville needed RIDICULOUS luck to beat us in Game 1.

It ain't gonna happen, but stranger things have happened.

steelbtexan
12-11-2010, 09:03 AM
So what will you be watching on TV Monday night? Inquiring minds would like to know.

....given all the BS that's happened this year, the least you gotta do is give yourself a chance for something funky to happen. If we win this Baltimore game, it's all fair game. The next two teams we play are utter trash, and Jacksonville needed RIDICULOUS luck to beat us in Game 1.

It ain't gonna happen, but stranger things have happened.

I will be at the game.

Yelling at the top of my lungs for the Texans.

thunderkyss
12-11-2010, 04:20 PM
I will be at the game.

Me too.

Don't know how I'm going to make it to work the next morning though. 3:30am wake up call.

TheMatrix31
12-11-2010, 05:30 PM
I will be at the game.

Gonna be a waste of time then, considering it'll be a blowout and all.

Hope it's fun though!

JB
12-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Gonna be a waste of time then, considering it'll be a blowout and all.

Hope it's fun though!

Wow! That pretty much a b/s cheap shot.

panamamyers
12-11-2010, 06:35 PM
We need the Raiders to win this weekend, but we also should be rooting for KC and the Jets to win.

If we cannot catch the Jags and Colts in the division, then we still have a chance at the wild card. As long as we are tied with multiple teams at 9-7, then we have the tie-breaker over most all of them.

If the Dolphins and Chargers lose this weekend, then we are assured of tying them if we win out.

We would need to have the Ravens lose to the Saints which is quite plausible, then lose one of two to the Bengals and the Browns, which is not as likely yet still possible.

If the Dolphins, Jaguars and Chargers all 3 lose this weekend and we win, then I will feel pretty confident that we make the playoffs assuming we win out. I would say it's better than 50/50 at that point assuming we win out.

JB
12-11-2010, 06:40 PM
If wishes was fishes we could all have some fried...

drs23
12-12-2010, 12:11 AM
If wishes was fishes we could all have some fried...

...could we have some blackened as well! :thinking:

:D

panamamyers
12-12-2010, 09:28 AM
If "ifs and buts" were candy and nuts, what a wonderful world this would be.

Regardless...

We will see what is an if or but after this weekend.

Lucky
12-12-2010, 10:37 AM
If the Dolphins, Jaguars and Chargers all 3 lose this weekend and we win, then I will feel pretty confident that we make the playoffs assuming we win out. I would say it's better than 50/50 at that point assuming we win out.

I'm not confident in your math regarding your better thsn 50/50 assertion. But if assumed true, and placing the odds of each of these 7 games at even, that means the Texans would have a (.5 x .5 x .5 x .5 x .5 x .5 x .5) x100% or 0.78% chance at your "better than 50/50" probability. Only Lloyd Christmas could get excited by these odds.

Hoping other teams fall on their face and fail holds little interest to me. The Texans had their chance to win their way into the playoffs. That's gone. And with it went much of the thrill of the 2010 season.

Doppelganger
12-12-2010, 10:42 AM
I'm not confident in your math regarding your better thsn 50/50 assertion. But if assumed true, and placing the odds of each of these 7 games at even, that means the Texans would have a (.5 x .5 x .5 x .5 x .5 x .5 x .5) x100% or 0.78% chance at your "better than 50/50" probability. Only Lloyd Christmas could get excited by these odds.

Hoping other teams fall on their face and fail holds little interest to me. The Texans had their chance to win their way into the playoffs. That's gone. And with it went much of the thrill of the 2010 season.

http://jimcarrey-information.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/dumbanddumber2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA

mattieuk
12-12-2010, 12:49 PM

True, but then again, I can't imagine the Texans running up a 14-2 record and breezing into the playoffs. I think if the Texans are going to become a playoff team in the next year or two, it is going to be in the manner I'm hoping for.

I'm still hoping that we sneak in this year, and as soon as we can't do it then its time for the thrill to dissapear and the pink soap to come out en mass.

TexCanada
12-12-2010, 01:20 PM

Love the Dumb and Dumber reference, but he did say IF we win out. So he wasn't calculating the odds of us winning out, but rather the odds of us making playoffs assuming we had a 9-7 record.

If we wanted to use your calculation as well we could take that .78% chance of winning out and times it by .5 to get our overall chances of playoffs. That would be .39%

imatexan
12-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Well the Colts and Jags both got wins this week, making the impossible dream even more impossible!

fiasco west
12-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Alright so it looks like Texans will have to win out.

They will need the Colts to drop one game(I can see the Colts lose to the Raiders if Oak gets a good lead then they can just run it down their throats)

Then they will need Jags to lose to the Colts next week. If that happens then I think, not sure...the Texans should be able to have a win and get in game the very last week against the Jags. Only if they win their next 3 games, Indy drops one to Oakland or Tennessee, and if the Jags lose to Indy next week.

OzzO
12-12-2010, 03:48 PM
This reminds me of the seven stages of grief:

1. shock / denial
2. pain / guilt
3. anger
4. barganing
5. depression
6. testing / reconstruction
7. acceptance

Maybe we need the 7 stages of a Texans' fan season:

1. shock - "no big name acquired in offseason?" "We're going young?"
2. optimism - "well, let's see how the season plays out" "preseason doesn't count"
3. anger - "can't we beat X team already?" "why start so slow"
4. hope - "doing alright early in season, should be able to turn it around"
5. depression - "how the heck have we lost 4 in a row?"
6. testing - "maybe watch another team / do something else on Sunday" "new coach?" "mathematically still in"
7. acceptance - "another season down" "where's our draft pick next year?"

Thorn
12-12-2010, 03:58 PM

Yeah, we're here at number 7. LOL

steelbtexan
12-12-2010, 04:06 PM

1. shock / denial
2. pain / guilt
3. anger
4. barganing
5. depression
7. acceptance

2. optimism - "well, let's see how the season plays out" "preseason doesn't count"
6. testing - "maybe watch another team / do something else on Sunday" "new coach?" "mathematically still in"

Matrix/TK, are you still on step 5 or have you moved on to step 6/7 ?

CloakNNNdagger
12-12-2010, 04:07 PM

1. shock / denial
2. pain / guilt
3. anger
4. barganing
5. depression
7. acceptance

Actually Texans Acceptance can be further delineated:

7. Acceptance
........7A. Resignation
........7B. :choke:

steelbtexan
12-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Actually Texans Acceptance can be further delineated:

7. Acceptance
........7A. Resignation
........7B. :choke:

True

LOL

TheMatrix31
12-12-2010, 06:39 PM

They will need the Colts to drop one game(I can see the Colts lose to the Raiders if Oak gets a good lead then they can just run it down their throats)

Then they will need Jags to lose to the Colts next week. If that happens then I think, not sure...the Texans should be able to have a win and get in game the very last week against the Jags. Only if they win their next 3 games, Indy drops one to Oakland or Tennessee, and if the Jags lose to Indy next week.

If we beat Baltimore tomorrow....and that set-up is correct, then honestly, its possible.

Maddict5
12-12-2010, 06:47 PM
If we beat Baltimore tomorrow....and that set-up is correct, then honestly, its possible.

yup. tomorrows game is the key. we somehow pull that out & we have games against the tians & broncos, both of whom look to be shutting it down for the yr, before the showdown v the jags...

still cant rly see the colts losing one though (oakland should give em a good game as they match up well on paper)

fiasco west
12-12-2010, 06:57 PM

Just tested it in the playoff simulator and it worked out.

It honestly is very possible if the Texans can get past the Ravens. Indy has not been swept in the division in a long time, so the likelihood of the Jags beating them next week is not great. Especially with Indy at home.

The tough part is the Colts losing another game after that.

thunderkyss
12-12-2010, 07:05 PM

I don't like the Colts losing to the Jags scenario. Then, the Jags will have to lose the remaining two games on their schedule to finish 9-7. The Skins & us. I like our chances, but I don't give the skins a chance in the world to beat Jacksonville.

The Colts losing one game to either the Raiders, or the Titans in week 17. Is more likely.

I'm rooting for the Colts next week.

Sorry, just re-read your post, you're saying the same thing. Jags need to lose next week, we need to win put.

JCTexan
12-12-2010, 07:11 PM
I don't like the Colts losing to the Jags scenario. Then, the Jags will have to lose the remaining two games on their schedule to finish 9-7. The Skins & us. I like our chances, but I don't give the skins a chance in the world to beat Jacksonville.

The Colts losing one game to either the Raiders, or the Titans in week 17. Is more likely.

I'm rooting for the Colts next week.

Yeah, I have to agree with you. I don't see the Redskins beating Jacksonville in week 16. The Colts are awful at stopping the run & Oakland just happens to be a top 5 rushing team this year. Oakland probably has the best shot of anyone at beating the Colts.

hradhak
12-12-2010, 10:01 PM
At this point, we still have a chance. We have to take care of business and hope that some other teams can beat the Jags and Colts. The Jags have been real head scratchers all season. They don't seem to be all that great but they just keep winning.