PDA

View Full Version : QB Vick should be protected...........

CloakNNNdagger
12-03-2010, 06:48 PM
even though he commonly turns into a running back

Andy Reid bothered by hits on Michael Vick (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/03/andy-reid-bothered-by-hits-on-michael-vick/)
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 3, 2010, 7:22 PM EST

Eagles coach Andy Reid says he’s tired of seeing quarterback Michael Vick getting hit by opposing defenses. And the team plans to express its concerns to the league office.

“It bothers me to be honest with you. That bothers me. I see the same thing you’re seeing and it bothers me,” Reid says. “He does run, but he’s still the quarterback and you can’t treat him like he’s a running back there. That’s not what the rules state.”

Actually, when Vick takes off and runs like a running back, opposing defenses can treat him like a running back. But the Eagles think Vick has taken more than his fair share of shots this season, and ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio reports that the Eagles are in the process of making the NFL aware of their concerns.

Reid told Paolantonio, “I can’t say anything” regarding specific complaints to the league office. But Reid also said, “I’ll deal with the people I need to on that.”

Vick was on the receiving end of some hard hits Thursday night against the Texans, but Reid said Vick was able to shake it off.

“He got knocked around a little bit,” Reid said. “He got back up and kept going. I loved his energy in the second half.”

Now Reid is arguing that it’s time for the officials to do more to stop Vick from continuing to get knocked around.

JB
12-03-2010, 06:56 PM
:cry2:

Dutchrudder
12-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Maybe if he took a QB slide once in a while, it might be worth discussing otherwise he's fair game until he's out of bounds.

False Start
12-03-2010, 07:22 PM
REALLY!? :ok: :lol:

HJam72
12-03-2010, 08:02 PM
If he can't take it, he needs to stop running. It's football, not soccer. Hey, maybe we should complain that opposing Ds run full speed when Schaub is scrambling, and they should have to slow down....hop on one leg or something...

infantrycak
12-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Shocked Reid said something that stupid.

Koolaid Time
12-03-2010, 08:21 PM
If the Eagles play the Falcons in the Playoffs I predict Vick will rarely cross the line of scrimmage because the Falcons Defense WILL put the hurt on him given half the chance.

Lots of bad blood remains.

gg no re
12-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Shocked Reid said something that stupid.

The McNabb postulate states that whenever an Eagle says something stupid, they reel off a lot of wins.

jgl35
12-04-2010, 07:36 AM
Not what Reid is talking about. When Vick moves out, he is a runner. Fair game.
He is talking about when Vick is in the pocket and is hit after the ball is gone or is being tackled for a sack. Someone Thursday night hit Vick on the leg on a sack. Second or third guy in on the tackle. Reid is saying that other QBS would get a call on this under the rules they play by today. Vick should also get that call.

CloakNNNdagger
12-04-2010, 07:53 AM
He is talking about when Vick is in the pocket and is hit after the ball is gone or is being tackled for a sack. Someone Thursday night hit Vick on the leg on a sack. Second or third guy in on the tackle. Reid is saying that other QBS would get a call on this under the rules they play by today. Vick should also get that call.

You could say that for some non-call plays on Schaub...........or for that matter on every QB. Keep in mind that Vick will look like a rag doll when solidly legally hit, simply because of his size as a QB.........he's only 6' 215# dripping wet.:roast:

eriadoc
12-04-2010, 08:18 AM

If you're referring to the hit to his quad that hobbled him a bit, it was Ok0ye while Vick still had the ball and was still scrambling behind the LOS. He did not take Vick down, so didn't get credit for the sack. Vick's fair game in those situations. And it wasn't a hit below the knee; it was right on his thigh pad.

infantrycak
12-04-2010, 09:00 AM

In addition to what others said above, Vick places himself in jeopardy more than other QB's and it has to be accounted for. He has a habit of ducking under tackles. He shouldn't be given a flag for ducking into contact with his head. He does present a fairly unique balancing issue for the referees.

burro
12-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Seriously, how much more emasculated can the NFL get when even the coaches start talking about "they're hitting too hard!!!"?

jgl35
12-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Ok, guys. Let me try to explain what Reid is talking about.
If you go back to the first Eagle's play, a lineman hit Vick after the ball was gone. Clean hit in my opinion, by if the QB is named Manning or Brady, is something called in the way the game is called today?
Reid said he is taking examples to the league to look at. I have no idea which plays or from what game, but I think Reid is a stand- up guy and thinks he has a case.
In other words, call it the same for all the QBS.

Or is Reid playing mind games with Ware twice, Allen of Minn., and the Giants d line coming in the last 4 games? Get an edge to get the league to get the refs to look closer.

I got back to the days where in pro football there was no such thing as not hitting a QB. They were considered fair game because they were on the field. Could be blocked after the pass was gone. Miss those days, to tell the truth, but can understand the reasons for the rule changes.

In my personal view in this, I think Reid should talk the the O line in doing a better job keeping people off Vick. Would save a trip to New York

GP
12-05-2010, 02:38 AM
Ok, guys. Let me try to explain what Reid is talking about.
If you go back to the first Eagle's play, a lineman hit Vick after the ball was gone. Clean hit in my opinion, by if the QB is named Manning or Brady, is something called in the way the game is called today?
Reid said he is taking examples to the league to look at. I have no idea which plays or from what game, but I think Reid is a stand- up guy and thinks he has a case.
In other words, call it the same for all the QBS.

Or is Reid playing mind games with Ware twice, Allen of Minn., and the Giants d line coming in the last 4 games? Get an edge to get the league to get the refs to look closer.

I got back to the days where in pro football there was no such thing as not hitting a QB. They were considered fair game because they were on the field. Could be blocked after the pass was gone. Miss those days, to tell the truth, but can understand the reasons for the rule changes.

In my personal view in this, I think Reid should talk the the O line in doing a better job keeping people off Vick. Would save a trip to New York

No, what Reid is saying is "We didn't have a prayer until Kolb got replaced by Vick. So, now that we're rolling really well...please please please don't let Vick suffer the tough hits."

Vick, IMO, has yanked Reid's butt out of the fire. And I don't think the Eagles can honestly say they knew that Vick would turn out to help them THIS much.

Now, Reid is trying to earn the sympathy vote that he thinks will help keep this "good thing" going.

The Texans don't play dirty. I saw zero dirty plays by our team. Reid is a tool.

Joe Texan
12-05-2010, 10:17 AM
If Vixk Nees special Treatment then every stinking Horse back Rider needs to stay off of horses cause Superman broke his neck, Michael Vick is a QB/RB

Dutchrudder
12-06-2010, 03:00 PM
If Vick was interested in more protection, then he probably wouldn't have gotten herpes in college.

Ole Miss Texan
12-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Well that's just dumb.

Hey Reid guess what? We just moved Arian Foster to our backup QB spot. He's a threat with his legs so we run him a lot... but now you can't hit him like he's a RB because he's not... he's a QB.