PDA

View Full Version : My Coaching Rant

Pollardized
12-03-2010, 10:26 AM
As a proud supporter of the Texas A&M Aggies, I can readily admit I was a big fan of Gary Kubiak becoming the Texans' head coach. He is a class act through and through; exactly the way an Aggie should be. He deserved the shot at being a head coach in the NFL. Unfortunately, he has failed.

I have read everyone on here argue about who's fault it is the Texans are where they are today. The sad truth is, a team is an image of their leader; the leader is generally the head coach (except the cowgirls, where the team reflects the dumbass owner). I've heard all the arguments: Gary isn't the DC calling defensive plays, Gary isn't the player on the field making the plays, etc etc. While all that may technically be true, he is the person who drafted, signed, hired, and or coached those people. He is ultimately responsible for their actions. It is no different than most organizations that employ each and every one of us. In my business, the Air Conditiong and Heating industry, the technicians I sent out to your homes and businesses are a representation of me and the quality of work I strive to give paying customers. If I hire a guy who couldn't fix your AC, send him to your home/business, and he failed, then I failed. I failed for hiring him, for not training (coaching) him properly, and for trying to collect your hard earned money for his final product. It is the same way in the Texans' organization today.

The Texans need accountability in all aspects of the team. It's great that Gary Kubiak is always ready to take the blame - "it's on me." True, it is. It's on you for allowing it to continue with no repercussions when things don't change. I don't care who the player is, they are no bigger than the team itself. I want Mario Williams to be the baddest man in the NFL. Hell he looks like he should be. It is not fair for a man to be built like him, have the speed he has for that size, and have the abilities to do what he "sometimes" does. The problem is, he is a slacker. I saw plays last night where he was blocked completely out of the play by one man. He stood up and appeared willing to just watch the play and see where it goes. That can't be tolerated. He would not start next week if I were head coach. I would call his ass out, and bench him. You bench Foster for off-field reasons, why don't you bench others for on the field reasons? No accountability what-so-ever.

The defense has sucked all year. Bush isn't cutting it. Maybe with the labor uncertainty Kubiak isn't allowed to fire people. Ok, demote him. Give someone else a try. Hell let Johnny Holland call defensive palys, let Bill Kollar call them. What could it hurt? Hold Bush accountable for the product.

If you as head coach don't hold the assistants responsible, if you don't hold the players responsible, then you are at fault. You put them in that position, and you did nothing about it when the product they delivered was sub-standard.

Yankee_In_TX
12-03-2010, 10:30 AM
I'm at a loss for why someone (anyone!) hasn't been fired....

Texas T
12-03-2010, 10:36 AM
That was the most insightful and well thought out rant I've seen on these boards.
I think you've hit the nail on the head about this team.
I dont' think that Kubs kicks the team in the nuts when they take their collective foot off the pedal during the game (see last night after we took the lead).
We need someone, anyone, who will hold players accountable for their playing.
I'm thinking a HC with some attitude would do this team good (Cowher anyone).

BigBull17
12-03-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm at a loss for why someone (anyone!) hasn't been fired....

Well, shoot fire we just feel Frank Bush is doing a heck of a job. We're workin hard and busting our tails. David Gibbs is a great secondary coach who has his guys workin. I see alot of good things out there. The defense is gettin better each week, so by week 17 we should be holding people to 28 points/game.

Texas T
12-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Well, shoot fire we just feel Frank Bush is doing a heck of a job. We're workin hard and busting our tails. David Gibbs is a great secondary coach who has his guys workin. I see alot of good things out there. The defense is gettin better each week, so by week 17 we should be holding people to 28 points/game.

Did you get a copy of Kubs speach for today?

NitroGSXR
12-03-2010, 10:53 AM
What's the use? It is what it is. Kinda like the TSA except Bob's got his lackeys sticking their hands in my pocketbook.

Go Texans. Beat the Ravens.

GP
12-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Texas T was right, that was a good summary, pollardized.

Kubiak will not demote or fire any of his staff because it DOES reflect upon him. He uses blemish cream (not firing or demoting people, nor benching people) to hide his defects.

Oh sure, he sat Jacoby and Arian, due to ticky-tack off-the-field being late to meetings stuff. Wow! What balls.

I seriously don't understand the point of how things "work" here.

The reindeer games have to stop. Changes have to be made. But they won't be made, due to "circumstances." Get ready, hold onto your Texans hats, because you're all going to be told by McNair that he saw severe disruption in many NFL teams this year yet "his guy, Gary Kubiak" stood tall and didn't lose the team's support.

Just get ready for it. It's as certain as 3rd and 19: Predictable, conservative, calculated, and full of failure.

DexmanC
12-03-2010, 11:54 AM
When will Bob realize the reason Kubiak doesn't "lose the team's support,"
is because the Texans are quickly becoming the easiest paycheck in
the NFL?