PDA

View Full Version : 3rd & 19...

GP
12-02-2010, 10:19 PM
That's the Texans entire existence, summed up in three words.

Third and nineteen.

Forget any of the other remaining 99% of those guys' efforts. It always boils down to a big brainfart at the worst possible time.

GP
12-02-2010, 10:23 PM
3rd & 19.

And some dumbass goes for a big hit instead of wrapping his arms around the guy to help out the other Texans player already engaged in the tackle.

JUST stop the brainfarts at the end of games, please.

b0ng
12-02-2010, 10:26 PM
The worst part? I had a gigant picture of Brent Celek crotch right in my face while these idiots in the booth discussed his left ass cheek.

kiwitexansfan
12-02-2010, 10:32 PM
3rd and Long terrifies me, everytime. I expect failure. It's just not right.

BullNation4Life
12-02-2010, 10:33 PM
That play should not have gone more than 5 yards... total failure and it pains me to my core...

CretorFrigg
12-02-2010, 10:35 PM
The irony was that right before the play happened, I told my wife there was no way they were going to get a first down on a 3rd and 19...

:kubepalm: I should've known better.

GP
12-02-2010, 10:36 PM
3rd

GP
12-02-2010, 10:37 PM
And

GP
12-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Nineteen

BadAndy
12-02-2010, 10:38 PM

This. Every time Texans get a 3rd and long, I cringe and say here it comes.

hradhak
12-02-2010, 10:42 PM
My god, our defense is just porous. We make just enough plays to keep hope alive so that they can kick us in the crotch at the end of the game.

gwallaia
12-02-2010, 10:43 PM
It could be 3rd & 98 and the Texans would have very little chance of preventing a 1st down.

utahmark
12-02-2010, 10:47 PM
This is the worst defense i've ever seen in houston. The Gamblers had a better defense.

GP
12-02-2010, 10:51 PM
This is the worst defense i've ever seen in houston. The Gamblers had a better defense.

Kenny Rogers as "The Gambler" has a better defense than this team.

gwallaia
12-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Its not hard to figure out, we simply do not have enough quality players on defense. I'm to the point where I no longer blame Bush, its Rick Smith and the majority of the defensive players not being NFL quality.

CretorFrigg
12-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Its not hard to figure out, we simply do not have enough quality players on defense. I'm to the point where I no longer blame Bush, its Rick Smith and the majority of the defensive players not being NFL quality.

It's a combination of them all. Frank Bush's defensive scheme is a complete failure. Rick Smith fails. David Gibbs fails at coaching the secondary any technique.

The result? One of the worst defenses in NFL history.

Ryan
12-02-2010, 10:55 PM
3rd and 19....:kubepalm:

Runner
12-02-2010, 10:57 PM

Rick Smith is great - remember how he didn't get a contract done with Dunta? He stood tough. What else do you want from a GM besides not being able to successfully negotiate contracts?

CloakNNNdagger
3rd & 19.

And some dumbass goes for a big hit instead of wrapping his arms around the guy to help out the other Texans player already engaged in the tackle.JUST stop the brainfarts at the end of games, please.

I've been complaining about this this whole season. Some here are still convinced that it's a legitimate technique.

hookinreds
Hey, don't pick on Kiki's defense!

steelbtexan
12-02-2010, 11:05 PM
3rd and 19 LOL

This game feels alot like the Jets game or the Chargers game etc....

The Texans slogan next yr should be WHERE NO LEAD IS IMPOSSIBLE TO LOSE

Runner
12-02-2010, 11:17 PM
3rd and 19 LOL

It's almost as if the Texans get the same results every season. Maybe this "hoping" they'll get different results without making changes isn't working.

TexanBacker93
12-02-2010, 11:28 PM
3rd & 19.

And some dumbass goes for a big hit instead of wrapping his arms around the guy to help out the other Texans player already engaged in the tackle.

JUST stop the brainfarts at the end of games, please.

How about Jason Allen standing there watching Celek reach for a first down instead of slapping the ball out of his hands or something?

Either they have no talent, no brains, or get absolutely no coaching. With this staff it's probably all 3.

TexCanada
12-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Remember when we had them in 3rd and 19?

Dwade
12-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Pollard sucks. His only talent is late hits.

hradhak
12-02-2010, 11:44 PM
How about Jason Allen standing there watching Celek reach for a first down instead of slapping the ball out of his hands or something?

Man I was so pissed after I saw that. And I really thought we had a solid pickup with that INT Allen had on Vick. That was a great pick. And then he follows it up with terrible play on the following drives. :kubepalm:

DerekLee1
12-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Pollard sucks. His only talent is late hits.

He was great on the whopping 2 safety blitzes we called.

hradhak
12-02-2010, 11:48 PM
He was great on the whopping 2 safety blitzes we called.

Yeah, where has that been all season? Why haven't we blitzed with him more? He's certainly not a threat for an INT, but he can knock the piss out of some QB instead.

GP
12-03-2010, 08:50 AM
Bump.

THIRD AND NINETEEN.

Just in case anybody forgot. Since elite teams regularly give up 3rd and 19.

HTown2ATX
12-03-2010, 08:55 AM

You are beyond right. I in no way expected us to shut that down. Any real defense, I don't mean dominant top 10 defense...just a real-non joke defense...would not let that heppen.

I was mad when it happened, but laughing at the same time at this effing comedy on the field. Apathy. Get to know it. It helps me anyway... :gun:

This team is a JOKE again. J-O-K-E. :mariopalm:

Read the press in Philly. They're pissed that the Eagles had to come back against us and straight call the Texans bitches. And you know what, can't argue with that.

J-O-K-E

PhilpW
12-03-2010, 09:00 AM
It's not just 3rd & 19, it's 3rd & 7+. Why don't teams just take a knee on 1st and 2nd downs, make it third and long,then BAM, FIRST DOWN. Oilers in Texans clothing.

Texanmike02
12-03-2010, 09:15 AM
3rd and 19 LOL

Houston, where comebacks happen.

Mike

Texas T
12-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Bump.

THIRD AND NINETEEN.

I'm glad we are back to being an elite team...

:kubepalm:

Texas T
12-03-2010, 09:18 AM
You are beyond right. I in no way expected us to shut that down. Any real defense, I don't mean dominant top 10 defense...just a real-non joke defense...would not let that heppen.

I was mad when it happened, but laughing at the same time at this effing comedy on the field. Apathy. Get to know it. It helps me anyway... :gun:

This team is a JOKE again. J-O-K-E. :mariopalm:

Read the press in Philly. They're pissed that the Eagles had to come back against us and straight call the Texans bitches. And you know what, can't argue with that.

J-O-K-E

So now I'm paying for being a Texans fan...gotta live with all the Philly fans here 45 min from the stadium...I love being a Texans fan...

Blake
12-03-2010, 09:20 AM
That's the Texans entire existence, summed up in three words.

Third and nineteen.

Forget any of the other remaining 99% of those guys' efforts. It always boils down to a big brainfart at the worst possible time.

Lets not forget this was inside our 30 yard line. They didnt have the entire field to work with and still converted 3rd and 19 which was a dagger in our collective hearts...

stingray
12-03-2010, 09:38 AM
I wanted to throw my beer at the tv after that play. Inexcusable and pathetic that the texans gave up that first down. I have never seen a worse defense in my life, never.

Houston_Fanatic
12-03-2010, 09:40 AM
I agree. That play defines our team.

You see Kubiak over on the sideline all turtled-up with his arms crossed hugging himself. He looks miserable and it reflects on the whole team. He didn't even enjoy the Colts victory after the first game. This team is bound up and we need an Ex-Lax purging of the entire coaching staff.

GP
12-03-2010, 09:49 AM
I agree. That play defines our team.

You see Kubiak over on the sideline all turtled-up with his arms crossed hugging himself. He looks miserable and it reflects on the whole team. He didn't even enjoy the Colts victory after the first game. This team is bound up and we need an Ex-Lax purging of the entire coaching staff.

Yet he gets praised for how calm and collected he is. When things are falling apart, there's old Gary just staying straight-faced and not throwing players or coaches under a bus. What a swell guy!

His personality is rubbing off on us just like Wade Phillips' personality rubbed off on the Cowboys. Once Wade was gone, that team acted like the shackles had been thrown off. They won 2 straight games and just almost beat what I consider to be the best team in the NFC.

People are bound up in fear, especially in fear of us losing our offense if Gary isn't our HC.

It's been a miserable existence ever since McNair began this franchise. That first win vs. Dallas, played on ESPN at Reliant...the same thing I mentioned in another thread I just started a few minutes ago: Swamp gas, an abberation, you see it and think you can touch it...but it slips through your fingers.

I can't wait for the day when McNair realizes that the honeymoon attitude the fans have, which has lasted almost a decade, wears off and he has to admit that he has to have A-quality firepower at all levels of the football operations side of this franchise. Almost 10 years of illusions.

TheCD
12-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Bump.

THIRD AND NINETEEN.

Do you often drink to the point of blacking out during games? (Not being attacking, just trying to be humorous)

I only ask because this has been happening all year. Any time my friends watch a game with me...I can pinpoint the instance of failure that is to come.

Rule of thumb with the Texans...3rd and a mile is often (read: always) in the favor of our opponents. Who has possession of the ball is irregardles.

GP
12-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Do you often drink to the point of blacking out during games? (Not being attacking, just trying to be humorous)

I only ask because this has been happening all year. Any time my friends watch a game with me...I can pinpoint the instance of failure that is to come.

Rule of thumb with the Texans...3rd and a mile is often (read: always) in the favor of our opponents. Who has possession of the ball is irregardles.

No, I just sit there with a straight face...waiting for that magical goof-up moment where you can tell the opposing team has drawn up their "4th Quarter Texans" play that bails them out.

They call a time out. They talk on the sideline and get their facts straight on what they planned to do, and they go out and execute it. Only a botched play saves us.

Teams are respectful of Foster and AJ. They understand we're going to get 20+ points per game. But they also let go of that and embrace that there's opportunities galore against the Texans.

That's what happens when your defense is predictable. And our offense, to a certain degree, is predictable too.

jaayteetx
12-03-2010, 10:19 AM
I knew thery would let them convert. Knew it. This defense is horrible.

thunderkyss
12-03-2010, 11:51 AM
It's a combination of them all. Frank Bush's defensive scheme is a complete failure. Rick Smith fails. David Gibbs fails at coaching the secondary any technique.

The result? One of the worst defenses in NFL history.

It's week 13, & we don't know who our Will LB is, or our #1 Corner, or our FS, or our Nickel.....

How about RG? Anyone notice if we are still rotating Brisiel & Caldwell?

Someone should have stood out by now. These coaches should have decided by now who's next. Demeco's hurt, Bently you're in....... but noooooo. Not this group. We don't want to move Diles to SAM (his natural position) to make up for losing Cushing, don't want to stick Adibi in at Will (his natural position)...... but we lose Demeco, we're shuffling LBs like a deck of Cards. Then I'm still seeing Diles rotating with Sharpton...... like they're running backs or something....

We shouldn't be swapping our CBs this late in the season. McCain & McManis shouldn't be seeing game time, unless someone is hurt, or we've already decided to mail in the season.

There hasn't been any continuity on this defense since Day one, except Kareem Jackson falling down.

False Start
12-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Kenny Rogers as "The Gambler" has a better defense than this team.

Yeah, because he knows how to hold them, and knows when to run.

axman40
12-03-2010, 01:23 PM
The other thing that pissed me off was no Foster after the Iggles went up 27-24!
Foster literally put the team on his back for the go ahead score 24-20and nothing.
:kubepalm:

GP
12-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Yeah, because he knows how to hold them, and knows when to run.

Notice how I intentionally did not provide the punchline.

Was wondering who would end up capitalizing on the opportunity. You obviously are not a Texans coach.

Nicely done.

drewmar74
12-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Just saw this thread and had to share this with y'all:

I don't get the NFL network so I didn't get to watch the game last night. However, NFLN was streaming parts of the game. It was odd. They'd talk during commercial breaks and then keep talking while the game was being played. So, in short, you only got hunks of the game.

Well, it was pissing me off so I was coming back periodically to see if the feed was up and to catch up on the score.

The last time I went in there to check it, I was just in time for 3rd and 19. When they showed the replay of Celek being rolled by Bentley and obviously NOT touching the ground while Nolan just kind of flew by I just groaned.

Really? I walked back in there for a 3rd and 19 conversion?

To quote Dean Vernon Wormer from Animal House: I hate those guys.

Tailgate
12-03-2010, 02:11 PM
I knew thery would let them convert. Knew it. This defense is horrible.

Yep, I think most of us did. In my heart I just fricking KNEW IT. Not just because of the defense, but because we are the Texans. I couldnt even watch the play, I was pacing and avoiding tv and what I knew what was inevitable. Went back to the tv finally and saw the slow motion review play and the guy stretching for the first down. BOOM, just like its effing scripted.

thunderkyss
12-04-2010, 08:25 PM
It's almost as if the Texans get the same results every season. Maybe this "hoping" they'll get different results without making changes isn't working.

You mean without making the changes you want...

They have made changes, just not where (or how) you want them to.

Texas T
12-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Yep, I think most of us did. In my heart I just fricking KNEW IT. Not just because of the defense, but because we are the Texans. I couldnt even watch the play, I was pacing and avoiding tv and what I knew what was inevitable. Went back to the tv finally and saw the slow motion review play and the guy stretching for the first down. BOOM, just like its effing scripted.

Are you related to Kubs by any chance??

steelbtexan
12-05-2010, 12:45 PM
You mean without making the changes you want...

They have made changes, just not where (or how) you want them to.

Yeah ,you know the types of changes that will get the team out of the 7-9,9-7 rut.

What changes would you like to see?

thunderkyss
12-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Yeah ,you know the types of changes that will get the team out of the 7-9,9-7 rut.

What changes would you like to see?

I would have liked to have seen Kubiak tell Shanahan, "Hell no."

Or... tell Dennison how it's to be done.

I don't think Kyle was an "offensive coordinator" any more than he was Kubiak's puppet. I think he's actually turned play calling duties over to Dennison, & it's killing us.

When it looks like we're going to lose, Kubiak steps in, starts calling the plays, & we look like we have the past three years.

I think that's been our biggest problem. The defense played just as badly last year, the stats didn't add up though, because they weren't on the field as much. The offense scored, pressured the other team to throw the ball.... our defense benefited, just like Indy's defense does now.

Rey
12-05-2010, 03:40 PM

I don't think Kyle was an "offensive coordinator" any more than he was Kubiak's puppet. I think he's actually turned play calling duties over to Dennison, & it's killing us.

When it looks like we're going to lose, Kubiak steps in, starts calling the plays, & we look like we have the past three years.

I think that's been our biggest problem. The defense played just as badly last year, the stats didn't add up though, because they weren't on the field as much. The offense scored, pressured the other team to throw the ball.... our defense benefited, just like Indy's defense does now.

TK, how do you know that?

Did someone from the organization mention that or is it just a hunch?

JB
12-05-2010, 03:42 PM

It's a hunch. One I happen to share.

thunderkyss
12-05-2010, 07:32 PM

Hunch, based primarily on my perception that we look like last year's offense from midway through the third Qtr on.....

except in games when we seem to have control, the first Colts game, the San Diego game..... etc.

houstonspartan
12-05-2010, 07:52 PM

Sweet Jesus, you will think of anything to defend Kubiak, won't you?

Dennison was brought here to ramp up our running game, and that's exactly what he has done.

Also, if Kubiak eventually takes over the playcalling later in the game as you claim, where are the short screen passes that would gain us yardage that we saw the last couple of years?

RTP2110
12-06-2010, 10:07 AM

Kyle called plays, not just a "puppet"

“He called his first NFL game, and he did a hell of a job,” Kubiak said. “I thought it was time. I walked in the office Friday, and I told him he was calling the game.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6186316.html

Whoever replaces Shanahan must have the full confidence of Kubiak, a former offensive coordinator who puts his stamp on the Texans' game plan each week. The first time Kubiak let Shanahan call a game was in the 2008 season finale, 16 games into his tenure as offensive coordinator.

"I want somebody with me that I'm comfortable with calling plays," Kubiak said. "I want to get them to the same point that I am with Kyle and that I was with the other guys, where I can say, ‘Hey, go ahead. If I don't like something, I'm going to jump in.' We have to be that close and on the same page."

http://old.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6002

RTP2110
12-06-2010, 10:16 AM

If that's true Kubiak is the dumbest man on the entire Earth, and should be relieved of his duties as head coach immediately. You think every week he lets Dennison call plays until we're way behind, then takes over and gets us back in the game...and then gives the play-calling right back to Dennison the next week, and does the same exact thing?? For how many weeks now?

True? Maybe. I guess it's not out of the realm of possibilty. But if that's happening, and Kubiak hasn't just stripped Dennison of the play calling duties completely, he's got to go.

Here's my opinion. Kubiak has brainwashed these "kids" that they're going keep fighting. That they're going to battle for 60 minutes. They're not going to quit playing until the final whistle blows. So now they need to get down by two scores so that they can be in a position to not quit, and fight back so that they can fulfill the expectations Kubiak has for them.

thunderkyss
12-07-2010, 06:58 AM
If that's true Kubiak is the dumbest man on the entire Earth, and should be relieved of his duties as head coach immediately. You think every week he lets Dennison call plays until we're way behind, then takes over and gets us back in the game...and then gives the play-calling right back to Dennison the next week, and does the same exact thing?? For how many weeks now?

You think it is more "reasonable" to believe Dennison fumble's through three Qtrs, a light turns on........ then he forgets the following week?

Either way, it's evidence that Kubiak is sticking with something much longer than he probably should have. However, with my explanation, there is an ends to the means..... San Diego looked primarily like a Dennison called game.