PDA

View Full Version : The NFLís Man in The Hat: Tom Landry (NFL Films)

Double Barrel
12-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Most of y'all know that I'm not a Cowboys fan, but, I've always had a tremendous amount of respect for Tom Landry (as most football fans do).

Did any of you catch ĎThe NFLís Man in The Hat: Tom Landryí last weekend?

I knew some of the stuff about him: 2 Super Bowl titles, 5 NFC titles, 13 Divisional titles, a 270-178-6 record, 20 straight years of winning seasons, yada yada yada, but what I did not know was the depth of his genius as an innovator of schemes.

That part of the documentary just blew my mind. I had no idea that he invented the 4-3 defense, the flex defense which led to the Doomsday Ds, and all the various offensive systems that he created and implemented (like the man in motion and shotgun). His name should be right up there with Lombardi (who he coached with) and Walsh. Maybe it is in many people's minds, but his name is definitely there in my mind now.

Rey
12-02-2010, 04:57 PM
I saw it and I left extremely impressed with him as a man and as a coach.

I learned a lot about him and how he coached football. I also learned a lot about he and Lombardi's relationship that I didn't know.

I was gonna come here and post about it, but I figured it was something old that most people had already seen.

Anyways, good post because that documentary definitely left an impression on me. Glad you brought it up.

Double Barrel
12-03-2010, 12:23 PM
I felt the exact same way as you, Rey. The Lombardi connection was fascinating, as well. I had not idea about the history and friendship between the two greats. The NFL is a better league today because of Landry, and that was really cool to learn more about the legend.

infantrycak
12-03-2010, 09:09 PM
I knew about his innovations but not the Lombardi stuff. Hopefully they'll play it again some time.

drs23
12-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Most of y'all know that I'm not a Cowboys fan, but, I've always had a tremendous amount of respect for Tom Landry (as most football fans do).

Did any of you catch ĎThe NFLís Man in The Hat: Tom Landryí last weekend?

I knew some of the stuff about him: 2 Super Bowl titles, 5 NFC titles, 13 Divisional titles, a 270-178-6 record, 20 straight years of winning seasons, yada yada yada, but what I did not know was the depth of his genius as an innovator of schemes.

That part of the documentary just blew my mind. I had no idea that he invented the 4-3 defense, the flex defense which led to the Doomsday Ds, and all the various offensive systems that he created and implemented (like the man in motion and shotgun). His name should be right up there with Lombardi (who he coached with) and Walsh. Maybe it is in many people's minds, but his name is definitely there in my mind now.

A little late getting to this but I do remember him being the originator of those things as well as having his offensive line stand up briefly after initially being set. The premise being to confuse/cover the man in motion. A brilliant football mind indeed. He was a class act for sure.

JB
12-06-2010, 08:01 PM
I loved Tom Landry. I have a pic of him & my dad on my office wall.

He was a true genius in the game of football. Not just on one side of the ball, but both.

It was time for him to retire, but the way that Jones got rid of him turned me from a secondary Cowboy fan into a 'gurls hater.

valleytexfan
12-06-2010, 08:14 PM
The pride of Mission, TX (here in the Valley of course)....I too, have a framed photo of him on the wall. A true legend. :tiphat: