PDA

View Full Version : 610 WIP Radio Philadelphia "This has blow out written all over it".

Hookem Horns
12-01-2010, 11:40 AM
http://player.radio.com/player/RadioPlayer.php?version=1.2.10286&station=60

They don't think this is going to be a game. Ray Didinger is on right now discussing the matchup.

ThaShark316
12-01-2010, 11:41 AM
I know the nfl is about matchups...

they couldn't stop the Bears. I'm done.

DexmanC
12-01-2010, 11:44 AM

Cutler throws the ball much better than Schaub does, and Mike Martz
finally took his head out of his ass, and added a running game. The Bears
defense is LEAGUES better than that of the Texans.

This game DOES have blowout written all over it.

BIG TORO
12-01-2010, 11:45 AM
I hope the players think that too, and we can sneek up on them and BAM!

Hookem Horns
12-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Honestly, win or lose, if the Texans make a game out of this I will be shocked. As a Giants fan I watch the Eagles quite a bit and they can tear you up. I just don't see how our sorry defense is going to stop them. This is the same team that hung up 35 first half points on the Skins.

Plus that stadium is a madhouse and they are pissed off about losing to the Bears.

I envision a lot of this :kubepalm: tomorrow night.

m5kwatts
12-01-2010, 11:48 AM

Huh? Big time disagree. Cutler is much more prone to turnovers and bad decisions.

ThaShark316
12-01-2010, 11:49 AM

Valid points. The run game isn't the only thing. They started giving Cutler extra protections in the backfield too. Martz is known for protecting with just 5. (The OL)

Folks, don't be too hard on the play calling when you see a run on 2nd and 8 through 12. Also, I want to see some more 3rd and 10 running, dammit!

thunderkyss
12-01-2010, 11:50 AM
The Bears

Good thing we aren't playing the Bears defense.

I think it is "set-up" to be a blow out.... I can definitely see it happening.

But the Texans have never done what I think they will/should do.

wagonhed
12-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Your argument is they couldn't stop the Bears? Hahahaha.

The Bears are 8-3 my friend. The Texans can only dream of a record like that.

wagonhed
12-01-2010, 11:54 AM
But the Texans have never done what I think they will/should do.
That's because you constantly think they are going to magically turn into a playoff caliber team.

Hardcore Texan
12-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Any given Thursday....:truck:

ThaShark316
12-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Your argument is they couldn't stop the Bears? Hahahaha.

The Bears are 8-3 my friend. The Texans can only dream of a record like that.

And if you think it's because of the offense, I'm going to laugh at you. :kubepalm:

BIG TORO
12-01-2010, 12:03 PM
I bet Mike starts with like an 60 touchdown pass in there first drive.

GP
12-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Honestly, win or lose, if the Texans make a game out of this I will be shocked. As a Giants fan I watch the Eagles quite a bit and they can tear you up. I just don't see how our sorry defense is going to stop them. This is the same team that hung up 35 first half points on the Skins.

Plus that stadium is a madhouse and they are pissed off about losing to the Bears.

For me, our wins are trapped in a vacuum-type environment. Because at this point, our wins are always needed and not luxury items.

This team is afraid to be elite. To me, it doesn't want the pressure and the expectation. It's easier for our team to always be down-and-out and then come riding to the rescue of the fans who have given up on the team. Doing juuuust enough to keep you on the hook. "We'll do better NEXT year..." says the Texans organization and its personnel.

So I expect nothing. It will be what it will be. I don't think Kubiak fares well vs. Andy Reid and his squad of coaches. They toy with us. They seem to always call the right plays at the right time, and yet that's not really no accident folks. It's just good, sound strategy planning that I believe the NFL's elite coaches are capable of cranking out week-to-week.

Our guys isn't doin that. He has his scripted plays. He wants our offense to be a fine-tuned machine whose players can outplay its opponents out there on the field, regardless of who we are playing that day. Changes are made at a glacial pace, and when they are made we often abandon other things that could be used in certain situations.

The Rex Ryans and the Andy Reids of the NFL are the types of guys who want to outwit and outsmart their opponents. If their players execute out ont he field, the plan is going to work. Which is why we see that Andy Reid chewed out one of his receivers recently.

We don't match up well vs. mobile, athletically-gifted QBs who can beat defenses by scrambling. We stand a chance vs. those QBs who stand in a pocket. Once a mobile QB gets outside the pocket, if they can run a little, they torch us badly.

This DOES have blow-out written all over it. I just wonder (a) if the Texans understand that, which I don't think they do nor do they care enough from a coach's standpoint to gameplan any differently to avoid or mitigate the damages, and (b) will it even matter if we somehow pull of the win? Because this team pretty much has to win out. Period. With some goofy math, they stand a chance of being able to have one more regular season loss. And that's if things get real goofy and we win our division somehow. Gonna' have to beat the jags AND the titans in order to have a shot at that, though. AND..gonna' have to beat a few more teams on top of that.

I'm just in this for the little moments like AJ-Innegan and AJ's accomplishment on receptions. This fan's Fanometer is calibrated to withstand disappointment.

Mr teX
12-01-2010, 12:27 PM

They tend to struggle vs. decent offensive balanced teams which i think we are so we'll see how their defense holds up.

& the whole "angry after a loss" thing is overblown. They've got a divisional game with the cowboys on primetime right after us so, they may very well still look past us. Do i expect that? no, but no one expected the bears to pummel them this past week either. The outcome doesn't look promising, but i'm gonna ride with my boys to the end!.........although, i will be starting Desean Jackson on my fantasy team!

wagonhed
12-01-2010, 12:27 PM
And if you think it's because of the offense, I'm going to laugh at you. :kubepalm:

Laugh at me. I'm not the one comparing the Texans favorably to the Bears.

IDEXAN
12-01-2010, 12:31 PM
at stadium is a madhouse and they are pissed off about losing to the Bears.

Had Philly won up in Chitown, this could have been a trap-game for them and given us the chance we needed, but now they'll probably be very motivated Thursday night after the tough loss up there.

houstonspartan
12-01-2010, 12:33 PM
This team is afraid to be elite. To me, it doesn't want the pressure and the expectation. It's easier for our team to always be down-and-out and then come riding to the rescue of the fans who have given up on the team. Doing juuuust enough to keep you on the hook. "We'll do better NEXT year..." says the Texans organization and its personnel.

Oh man, I was just telling someone something similiar just last week. I said something to the effect that I thought the Texans were afraid of success.

Some people can't handle the success, and the subsequent pressures. I know people like that. We all do. Talented, smart, but just can't handle the spotlight. They wither, and would prefer to coast.

texan279
12-01-2010, 12:35 PM

Is this a joke?????????

BobbleTexan
12-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Guess they may as well turn the plane around and come home if there is no chance...........why bother...........hell for that matter concede the rest of the season..........

Mr teX
12-01-2010, 12:40 PM
maybe he meant to say cutler throws the ball harder???

GP
12-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Guess they may as well turn the plane around and come home if there is no chance...........why bother...........hell for that matter concede the rest of the season..........

Don't start that stuff.

These guys made their own beds wayyy before Thursday night's game.

The coaches too.

Now it's just a matter of WAITING to be mathematically eliminated, as usual. Even if these guys won every remaining game, except the last regular season game, and it was that one final loss that eliminated us from playoff contention, it would be a travesty to applaud them for getting so close to securing the playoffs.

So that's why the prevalent attitude is what it is: Gotta' tap, tap, tap on the fanometer and get it calibrated correctly, or face the consequences of blowing a coronary artery when we finally DO end up losing.

A win will be a win. But the significance of those wins is not "truly significant" until it's the playoff-clinching win. So, "yeah," they are going to go play the game Thursday night. Nobody wants the plane to turn around, etc.

If a Texans fan knows anything, he knows that the month of December is the killing season. It's the time you wait for your playoff chances to be killed off by some other team who gutted it out and found a way to want it more. And what makes us so mad, bobblehead, is that our team is good enough to avoid this sort of situation. They were good enough last year, with an easier schedule, and they were good enough this year too. But the leadership we have, IMO and in the opinion of many others who are a lot smarter about football than I am, is not getting the players into better positions to start games fast and close games out.

Other than that, I approve of your post. [straightens neck collar] Carry on.

DexmanC
12-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Is this a joke?????????

Schaub throws the ball well in the fourth quarter. I'm speaking
in reference to the WHOLE GAME. If we didn't have Foster surprise,
I doubt Schaub could've done much to win us many games. Schaub
has an o.k. arm when he's protected, but he's not capable of being
THE playmaker like Roethlisberger, Rivers, Manning, Brady, Vick, etc.

Cutler is a far more capable quarterback than Schaub is, stronger
arm, mobility, playmaking ability. Cutler, in my mind, was the MVP of their
game against the Eagles. When has Schaub ever been THE reason
for beating a playoff team?

Dread-Head
12-01-2010, 12:49 PM
I"m not got going to get delusional about this, and won't make any predictions but I'll just quote Mr. Oriel A. Phillips.

"Any team can beat any other team on any given Sunday."

DexmanC
12-01-2010, 12:50 PM
I"m not got going to get delusional about this, and won't make any predictions but I'll just quote Mr. Oriel A. Phillips.

"Any team can beat any other team on any given Sunday."

Sucks that the game is on Thursday.

houstonspartan
12-01-2010, 12:52 PM
sucks that the game is on thursday.

lmao!

Thorn
12-01-2010, 12:53 PM
If anything happens other than the Texans getting their asses whooped, I'll be greatly surprised. I've come to expect the worst from this team, and I generally get it.

Double Barrel
12-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Just about anything is possible, but when viewed through a probability factor, this game is certainly set up for a blow out.

Surreal McCoy
12-01-2010, 12:56 PM

Careful there partner, we don't take too kindly to folks supporting the team 'round here. Ya hear?

Joe Texan
12-01-2010, 12:59 PM
From some of these posts we might as well forfeit.

Schaub cand play it all boils down to Gary's script, and that means if he scripted it wrong he is looking for a job in January.

Runner
12-01-2010, 01:06 PM
If the Texans have an offensive explosion - which isn't totally out of the question with Dre and Foster - they could win this game. However, even in a shootout I think the Eagles defense will get the critical stops, and the Texans defense won't.

If the Texans offense doesn't go off, I think they lose handily.

gwallaia
12-01-2010, 01:08 PM
I predict another 3 INT performance from Glover Quinn!

:)

texan279
12-01-2010, 01:09 PM

Well let's see. Schaub led our offense down the field against the Jets to take the go ahead score with a minute left but it was our defense that couldn't go one minute without letting the Jets score. And it was Schaub who threw the TD pass to Walter against the Jags to give us the lead then our defense gives up a 50 yard hail mary. And you do realize the Eagles defense is ranked 20th in the NFL right? Cutler has one good game against an average defense and now he is better than Schaub? lol

Mr teX
12-01-2010, 01:12 PM

Cutler's been in the league long enough now for everyone to know what he is & that's a turnover machine...no amount of dumbing down the offense is gonna change that in him.

& Funny b/c schaub has essentially played without a run game since coming here & has done nothing but improve. His numbers are down this year mainly b/c foster has taken some of the load off. Sure he doesn't have the dynamic abilities of Vick or rothlisberger to run or a rocket-laser arm like jughead, but he's solid. Truthfully, the 3 i just named a few others are about the only qb's that aren't affected by a pass rush all that much.....but it bothers every qb. Did you happen to see what Beiber bowl Brady looked like against the giants in the SB a few years ago when he couldn't get comfortable? How about that ravens loss in the playoffs last year? Schaub nor cutler are guys that can carry a team by themselves like those others, but if anything they are about the same, just guys with different challenges.

GP
12-01-2010, 01:13 PM
From some of these posts we might as well forfeit.

Schaub cand play it all boils down to Gary's script, and that means if he scripted it wrong he is looking for a job in January.

Here's the problem, Joe: Those "scripted plays" are set in place ahead of time, as in "Before the game even starts," as in "Regardless of what the defense does those first 15 plays or so."

And we wonder why we don't get it going on offense until the 4th quarter? LOL. Because by then, the whole dynamic of the game has changed! And it becomes "Oh, crap! We better do something! Fast!"

I am not the brightest football person in the world. But I don't think playing a scripted set of offensive plays in the beginning moments is wise. OK, script the first 3 plays. Let's see what the defense is doing against us, and let's have a variety or multiple sets of plays to choose from AFTER seeing if that defense is playing QB Rush, RB Contain, Zone, Man, etc.

I don't see that though. I see an offense who comes out flat in the first quarter, wondering why their scripted plays are not working. Oh, but I forgot how Schaub can audible to a run (or to a pass) if he needs to. Except from what we've heard, he can only choose one particular run play or one particular pass play to audible to. Gee, there's another brilliant gameplanning strategy.

Going out on a limb here, and saying this: We don't play teams very well who know what we do and therefore gameplan for it and stick to their gameplan. Should we happen to catch an injury-prone team, or a team who is mailing it in, or is in some sort of disarray, then "Yeah," we stand a chance.

But overall, I'm beginning to lose my patience for the fans on here who know the truth but continue to play the "You're a bad fan if you think we can't win this game" card. This is not "So you don't think our coach can pee farther than their coach" situation, ok? This is for real. This is reality.

Our guys tend to NOT match up well for teams that are legitimately in the hunt for a title. And since the Eagles stumbled upon Michael Vick and are using him to his strengths and mitigating his weaknesses, which they did with McNabb for so many years, as well, (look how awesome McNabb is away from Andy reid by the way!) we're in a heap'a big trubble if the Eagles don't bumble and stumble all night.

Sorry. I just can't put on the "Hey, we're as good as they are" glasses. That's amateur hour. Period. Until this team makes a huge, HUGE splash on the NFL radar...the best plan is to keep both feet planted firmly in reality.

Two staright seasons of off-season and pre-season hype, and it results in two straight regular seasons of consistent face-palming.

Face it, folks: This team needs help from its opponents. It's still on training wheels.

FirstTexansFan
12-01-2010, 01:17 PM
but overall, i'm beginning to lose my patience for the fans on here who know the truth but continue to play the "you're a bad fan if you think we can't win this game" card. This is not "so you don't think our coach can pee farther than their coach" situation, ok? This is for real. This is reality.

^^ qft!

scourge
12-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Laugh at me. I'm not the one comparing the Texans favorably to the Bears.

If you were referring to Dexman, then neither was he. He was saying that the Bears have a far better D than us, so Philly shouldn't have much trouble running the score up.

ThaShark316
12-01-2010, 01:37 PM
If you were referring to Dexman, then neither was he. He was saying that the Bears have a far better D than us, so Philly shouldn't have much trouble running the score up.

That fool was talking about me because I said the basically our O is better than theirs.

"they couldn't stop the bears, a near bottom of the league offense" = me being an *****, apparently.

HTown2ATX
12-01-2010, 01:42 PM
The Texans seem to blow donkey balls on national TV. I planned on skipping this game altogether a few weeks ago as I do not have NFLN and was not going to go to a bar with the season all but over.

However, as the Texans still have a heartbeat in the division and I am still high on the 20-0 shutout against the tits and the 'Dre beatdown I am interested to see this game. I may check it out at a bar after I drop my daughter off around 8:30 or 9pm. I'll swing in an see if it is a game or not.

This game does have blow out written all over it. I'm obviously not a kool aid drinker, but, I'm holding a slight glimmer of hope for this one.

Mr teX
12-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Here's the problem, Joe: Those "scripted plays" are set in place ahead of time, as in "Before the game even starts," as in "Regardless of what the defense does those first 15 plays or so."

And we wonder why we don't get it going on offense until the 4th quarter? LOL. Because by then, the whole dynamic of the game has changed! And it becomes "Oh, crap! We better do something! Fast!"

I am not the brightest football person in the world. But I don't think playing a scripted set of offensive plays in the beginning moments is wise. OK, script the first 3 plays. Let's see what the defense is doing against us, and let's have a variety or multiple sets of plays to choose from AFTER seeing if that defense is playing QB Rush, RB Contain, Zone, Man, etc.

I don't see that though. I see an offense who comes out flat in the first quarter, wondering why their scripted plays are not working. Oh, but I forgot how Schaub can audible to a run (or to a pass) if he needs to. Except from what we've heard, he can only choose one particular run play or one particular pass play to audible to. Gee, there's another brilliant gameplanning strategy.

Going out on a limb here, and saying this: We don't play teams very well who know what we do and therefore gameplan for it and stick to their gameplan. Should we happen to catch an injury-prone team, or a team who is mailing it in, or is in some sort of disarray, then "Yeah," we stand a chance.

But overall, I'm beginning to lose my patience for the fans on here who know the truth but continue to play the "You're a bad fan if you think we can't win this game" card. This is not "So you don't think our coach can pee farther than their coach" situation, ok? This is for real. This is reality.

Our guys tend to NOT match up well for teams that are legitimately in the hunt for a title. And since the Eagles stumbled upon Michael Vick and are using him to his strengths and mitigating his weaknesses, which they did with McNabb for so many years, as well, (look how awesome McNabb is away from Andy reid by the way!) we're in a heap'a big trubble if the Eagles don't bumble and stumble all night.

Sorry. I just can't put on the "Hey, we're as good as they are" glasses. That's amateur hour. Period. Until this team makes a huge, HUGE splash on the NFL radar...the best plan is to keep both feet planted firmly in reality.

Two staright seasons of off-season and pre-season hype, and it results in two straight regular seasons of consistent face-palming.

Face it, folks: This team needs help from its opponents. It's still on training wheels.

You're overly simplifying what scripiting plays do for you & with nfl playbooks these days, you can't successfully find out what a team is trying to do to you in 3 stinkin' plays. 15 is pushing it as i've heard Walsh used to script more than that. The most valuable part of scripting gives the offense a look at how a defense will play you in your basic sets (which are numerous in their own right) & of course adjustments come off that.

The problem is when you don't execute those plays well enough to get a few 1st downs & get them out of the way, you wind up having to wait on finding out what it is you need to adjust to & this more than anything is the texans' problem on offense; execution...not the scripted plays themselves. Most every team in the NFL scripts these days so if it ain't wise for us to be doing it, then most of the nfl must be idiots as well.

wagonhed
12-01-2010, 01:51 PM
That fool was talking about me because I said the basically our O is better than theirs.

"they couldn't stop the bears, a near bottom of the league offense" = me being an *****, apparently.
Relax.

this is what you said:

This looks to me like you're saying we should beat the Eagles because they lost to the Bears. The Bears aren't pushovers.

jaayteetx
12-01-2010, 01:54 PM
I wish I was in Vegas, I'd drop a grand on the Texans. They may lose, but they won't get blown out.

nero THE zero
12-01-2010, 01:58 PM

That's simply not true. Kubiak has said numerous times that the scripted plays are dependent on down, distance and situation. If neither of those variables are friendly to the scripted play, the scripted play isn't run.

There are enough reasons to criticize Kubiak without having to make them up.

HOU-TEX
12-01-2010, 02:01 PM
I wish I was in Vegas, I'd drop a grand on the Texans. They may lose, but they won't get blown out.

IMO, we have a better chance of getting blown out than winning.

This game might get ugly fast....and I mean uuugly

BUT, that's why they play the games, I reckon

CloakNNNdagger
12-01-2010, 02:04 PM

Oh man, I was just telling someone something similiar just last week. I said something to the effect that I thought the Texans were afraid of success.

Some people can't handle the success, and the subsequent pressures. I know people like that. We all do. Talented, smart, but just can't handle the spotlight. They wither, and would prefer to coast.

See if you don't recognize our coaches (most in a new higher more stressful status compared to years past) and our players in this study. Similar subsequent studies have shown similar outcomes. Why Some People Can't Handle Success (http://www.livescience.com/health/071128-success-anxiety.html) This is a culture that is learned. What is learned can be unlearned.............but with only great effort and great difficulty.

Mr teX
12-01-2010, 02:07 PM
That's simply not true. Kubiak has said numerous times that the scripted plays are dependent on down, distance and situation. If neither of those variables are friendly to the scripted play, the scripted play isn't run.

This makes perfect sense as to why we essentially do nothing in the 1st half then. Throwing in that whole little caveat further elongates the time to work through the 15 then.

ThaShark316
12-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Relax.

this is what you said:

This looks to me like you're saying we should beat the Eagles because they lost to the Bears. The Bears aren't pushovers.

And you read it wrong. I was merely talking about offense. If we're going to kick actual-factuals, let's get it.

Doppelganger
12-01-2010, 02:24 PM

Um...no. Cutler is a high turnover machine. He has the Bret Favre gunslinger attitude and will throw the ball into multiple coverages. He may have a stronger arm than Schaub but he is certainly not a better passer.

Ole Miss Texan
12-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Um...no. Cutler is a high turnover machine. He has the Bret Favre gunslinger attitude and will throw the ball into multiple coverages. He may have a stronger arm than Schaub but he is certainly not a better passer.

Don't you know that's all that matters? Schaub underthrows AJ all the time. No other QB ever underthrows their wideouts..

:sarcasm:

Surreal McCoy
12-01-2010, 02:31 PM

You might as well be trying to herd cats, bro. People so deluded they wish to make complete fabrications merely to support their position belies more than their knowledge about football.

False Start
12-01-2010, 02:31 PM
I've had the feeling the Texans were gonna get blown out for a few days now. The Texans may surprise us though. :texflag:

GP
12-01-2010, 02:33 PM
See if you don't recognize our coaches (most in a new higher more stressful status compared to years past) and our players in this study. Similar subsequent studies have shown similar outcomes. Why Some People Can't Handle Success (http://www.livescience.com/health/071128-success-anxiety.html) This is a culture that is learned. What is learned can be unlearned.............but with only great effort and great difficulty.

We are, by and large, a people who have to have things modeled for us.

As someone who hasn't had much of a father figure in my life (I have a dad, he's not terrible, but he wasn't great either) I can't imagine being a person whose father abandoned me altogether or beat the crap out of me, etc.

Life is hard enough as it is. To add in the variable of growing up without seeing a mature, respected leader makes it more difficult.

I know that it might sound psycho-babble to some people on here, but it's often really hard to draw upon things inside me that were left out when I was growing up. All the more if the person had it 10 times rougher growing up.

Which is why I respect people who turn things around or make a success out of the situation. America isn't perfect, but where else can you be raised in a bad situation and still stand a great chance of making good decisions and working hard to get ahead in life?

I think that's why I get so angry about this team right now. They all, coaches AND players, have the ability to put it together...but I see too much status quo and no risk-taking when it comes to roster decisions and strategy against EACH individual opponent. I see consistency. A consistent effort to stay stable and not deviate from a plan (especially on defense) that's not working well.

wagonhed
12-01-2010, 02:40 PM
And you read it wrong. I was merely talking about offense. If we're going to kick actual-factuals, let's get it.

So what's your prediction? That we're going to move up and down the field on the Eagles, score 30+ against them, and win?

ThaShark316
12-01-2010, 02:46 PM
So what's your prediction? That we're going to move up and down the field on the Eagles, score 30+ against them, and win?

Yup. That's what you wanted to hear right? My bad if I don't think we'd get ran off the got damn field. I don't think we'll win it, but a blowout? Hell nah I won't agree.

If that makes me a homer, then gimme some donuts, and put my black ass in sector 7-G.

scourge
12-01-2010, 02:49 PM

I agree with this completely. The points our offense can put up is often negated by the points we allow the other team to put up.

No More 8-8's
12-01-2010, 03:05 PM
This game may be a shootout. Two solid MVP candidates (Arian & Vick) going at it.

fiasco west
12-01-2010, 03:12 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81b95e8a/WK-7-Kenny-Britt-highlight

Look, the Texans are not horribly bad...they are just a above average team and often find ways to lose games instead of win them.

Don't see a blowout, especially with how the Eagles can be shredded through the air.

If the Eagles can allow Kenny Britt to go wild like that who knows what Andre can do to them.

I really don't see it that one sided.

buddyboy
12-01-2010, 03:19 PM

Love people who say that their opinion is "the truth" that everyone else just refuses to believe. The ABSOLUTE truth is that the Texans CAN win the game. In fact, any team can win any game.

Essentially you're telling us that there's no way the Texans can win and whining about fans that are trying to see the silver lining and claiming there is a chance we win (which there is no argument that there isn't).

Texecutioner
12-01-2010, 06:20 PM
This DOES have blow-out written all over it. I just wonder (a) if the Texans understand that, which I don't think they do nor do they care enough from a coach's standpoint to gameplan any differently to avoid or mitigate the damages, and (b) will it even matter if we somehow pull of the win? Because this team pretty much has to win out. Period. With some goofy math, they stand a chance of being able to have one more regular season loss. And that's if things get real goofy and we win our division somehow. Gonna' have to beat the jags AND the titans in order to have a shot at that, though. AND..gonna' have to beat a few more teams on top of that.

I'm just in this for the little moments like AJ-Innegan and AJ's accomplishment on receptions. This fan's Fanometer is calibrated to withstand disappointment.

My prediction is a little different.

I think that the Texans will make this a very competitive game. I think that they will be pretty close in this all the way through it and surprise a lot of people, and it will look like they'll have a win coming, and then somehow they'll choke it away in a manner that you never thought they could.

Then after the game you'll see the usuals in here and around the city talking about how proud they are of the Texans and how much fight they have and how admirable it is to see as a fan. Then other fans that value winning and consistent play as an important factor will complain about how they lost another game and they're going nowhere for the 5th year in this regime, while being told all about how it could be so much worse and how much better this team is playing and improving and how the players just need to execute. Many fans will get rid of their pink soap and refuse to sport it because the team hasn't quit on the almighty Gary and feel proud again to be a team that makes great games out of their losses. The acceptance of mediocrity from this fan base will continue on and grow with pride.

houstonspartan
12-01-2010, 06:30 PM
My prediction is a little different.

I think that the Texans will make this a very competitive game. I think that they will be pretty close in this all the way through it and surprise a lot of people, and it will look like they'll have a win coming, and then somehow they'll choke it away in a manner that you never thought they could.

Then after the game you'll see the usuals in here and around the city talking about how proud they are of the Texans and how much fight they have and how admirable it is to see as a fan. Then other fans that value winning and consistent play as an important factor will complain about how they lost another game and they're going nowhere for the 5th year in this regime, while being told all about how it could be so much worse and how much better this team is playing and improving and how the players just need to execute. Many fans will get rid of their pink soap and refuse to sport it because the team hasn't quit on the almighty Gary and feel proud again to be a team that makes great games out of their losses. The acceptance of mediocrity from this fan base will continue on and grow with pride.

Yep. That is exactly what will happen. Even with a loss, the "incremental improvement" crew will yap about how the team is making progress, etc.

Texecutioner
12-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Yep. That is exactly what will happen. Even with a loss, the "incremental improvement" crew will yap about how the team is making progress, etc.

Oh you're going to see it. It's right about that time where the Texans start winning certain games that no one expects them to where the faithers and Kool Aid gulpers see the tunnel of light once again in this team. Many people's soap will go down and then it will reappear the next week when the Texans have one more awful showing against a team that they were supposed to beat again. The soap will come back up and it will have been the final straw. But then wait! Kubes and the Texans will win two straight games after that very impressively. Kubiak will have finally gotten it and we'll be in a possible playoff situation only for it to not be there because other teams get in the way down the stretch, but WE"LL BE SO CLOSE!!! Then all off season there will be so much optimism and we'll be ready for a SB!! That 8-8 will look like a 10-6 team that should be in the playoffs and you will see next season do you hear me!!!!??

DexmanC
12-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Oh you're going to see it. It's right about that time where the Texans start winning certain games that no one expects them to where the faithers and Kool Aid gulpers see the tunnel of light once again in this team. Many people's soap will go down and then it will reappear the next week when the Texans have one more awful showing against a team that they were supposed to beat again. The soap will come back up and it will have been the final straw. But then wait! Kubes and the Texans will win two straight games after that very impressively. Kubiak will have finally gotten it and we'll be in a possible playoff situation only for it to not be there because other teams get in the way down the stretch, but WE"LL BE SO CLOSE!!! Then all off season there will be so much optimism and we'll be ready for a SB!! That 8-8 will look like a 10-6 team that should be in the playoffs and you will see next season do you hear me!!!!??

I don't see the Texans winning this game, simply because the Eagles are
at home, and now NEED the win due to falling to 7-4. Kubiak had better
coach the game of his life, especially in preparation. This secondary
continues to make the same mental errors it did during week one, especially
when the opponent has capable receivers and quarterback. Loading
10 in the box, and daring Rusty Smith to throw it, is a far inferior challenge
to what they will be facing Thursday night. Waiting until the second
half to put points up, is NOT an option if you want to win this week.

Texecutioner
12-01-2010, 07:01 PM
I don't see the Texans winning this game, simply because the Eagles are
at home, and now NEED the win due to falling to 7-4. Kubiak had better
coach the game of his life, especially in preparation. This secondary
continues to make the same mental errors it did during week one, especially
when the opponent has capable receivers and quarterback. Loading
10 in the box, and daring Rusty Smith to throw it, is a far inferior challenge
to what they will be facing Thursday night. Waiting until the second
half to put points up, is NOT an option if you want to win this week.

I don't think they'll win, but it wouldn't surprise me. I think they'll make it a lot more competitive than what people think. This is the time of the year where the Texans get really unpredictable. Where you see how talented this team is and what it could really be if it had a competent HC that had a sack. This is where Kubes shines. Right when a ton of fans are writing him off, he'll get a win or two that people aren't expecting and he'll get the homers that jumped off the plank finally to paddle themselves right back on board and they'll because they'll be so proud while they're dripping wet ready to dry off because they'll be so proud of the fight that the witnessed in this team and how much potential they have and how close they are to reaching it. The post season won't be an after thought after all, and it will be such a great run watching this tough team that has no quit barely miss out on the playoffs, but it will have been one hell of a ride and confetti will be thrown for Kubes for winning his last two games of the season where a rage of optimism will be parading into the off season for next year.

thunderkyss
12-01-2010, 07:42 PM

I wonder how much people believe what they are saying on this board.

If they truly believe this team is as bad as they believe, why do they continue to get upset?

I love my brother. More than any football team. But he doesn't know the first thing about building a race car. He wastes his time, my time, my other brother's time putting a bunch of crap in a mustang, & thinks he's going to have the fastest car on the track come friday night. That has never happened in the last 4 years.

But it doesn't stop him..... or me.. his car, his money, whatever he wants to do.

But I'm not bitter, I'm not mad, I don't "accept mediocrity" it's just the way it is.

Many people on this board have held the "belief" that the Texans didn't stand a chance in hades of beating the Jets since the schedule was announced. We come within 50 seconds of doing just that... & it's a game we should have won.

Go figure.

Texecutioner
12-01-2010, 07:54 PM

If they truly believe this team is as bad as they believe, why do they continue to get upset?

I don't. I haven't hardly gotten angry with this team in the last two years. My anger is more with management at this point at their lack of commitment to winning and the fan base for that attitude as well at this point. This acceptance of mediocrity is mind blowing in a city and a state where football is so popular and important. I've had absolutely no confidence in Kubiak's abilities to lead this team though, so their consistent failures and cycles of facepalms on the field haven't stressed me hardly at all over the last two seasons.

Many people on this board have held the "belief" that the Texans didn't stand a chance in hades of beating the Jets since the schedule was announced. We come within 50 seconds of doing just that... & it's a game we should have won.

Go figure.

Pulling a rabbit out of the hat is doable for Kubiak and this team at times. Their are upsets almost every week in the NFL and even the Texans can achieve that from time to time. Bringing consistency and fortitude is just something that this team doesn't have under the poor leadership and lack of commitment from the front office to build a winner though.

DexmanC
12-01-2010, 08:11 PM
I don't think they'll win, but it wouldn't surprise me. I think they'll make it a lot more competitive than what people think. This is the time of the year where the Texans get really unpredictable. Where you see how talented this team is and what it could really be if it had a competent HC that had a sack. This is where Kubes shines. Right when a ton of fans are writing him off, he'll get a win or two that people aren't expecting and he'll get the homers that jumped off the plank finally to paddle themselves right back on board and they'll because they'll be so proud while they're dripping wet ready to dry off because they'll be so proud of the fight that the witnessed in this team and how much potential they have and how close they are to reaching it. The post season won't be an after thought after all, and it will be such a great run watching this tough team that has no quit barely miss out on the playoffs, but it will have been one hell of a ride and confetti will be thrown for Kubes for winning his last two games of the season where a rage of optimism will be parading into the off season for next year.

I hear what you're saying, but this is the first time the Texans have gotten
good, non-playoff-clinched, teams at the end of the schedule. If the
Texans win tomorrow, it will be a first in many respects.

houstonspartan
12-01-2010, 08:19 PM

Yes. A very important point. People forget that the Texans schedule is usually back-loaded with either really bad teams, or teams that have already ran away with their divisions and can afford a late season, meaningless loss.

Texecutioner
12-01-2010, 08:44 PM

There was a lot of sarcasm in a lot of what I said in the last few posts Dex.

Texecutioner
12-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Yes. A very important point. People forget that the Texans schedule is usually back-loaded with either really bad teams, or teams that have already ran away with their divisions and can afford a late season, meaningless loss.

That's the case every year. The Pats last season when the Texans beat them to get their first winning season was a perfect example of that. They had confetti and champagne bursting everywhere like it was some sort of BcS bowl that they had just won against a team that didn't even need the win and didn't use Brady on their last drive. The celebration was almost like it was some sort of successful season or something.

DexmanC
12-01-2010, 08:51 PM
That's the case every year. The Pats last season when the Texans beat them to get their first winning season was a perfect example of that. They had confetti and champagne bursting everywhere like it was some sort of BcS bowl that they had just won against a team that didn't even need the win and didn't use Brady on their last drive. The celebration was almost like it was some sort of successful season or something.

The Pats had already clinched a playoff spot, rested several starters, and
pulled Brady in and out of the lineup all game long. It was nothing
more than a glorified scrimmage to the Patriots.

If the Eagles lose, on the other hand, they run the risk of not even
making the postseason. The races are TIGHT this year, and the only
team definitely out of it is Denver. Everybody else has a LOT riding
on the line all the way through Week 17 in 2010.

DexmanC
12-01-2010, 08:52 PM
There was a lot of sarcasm in a lot of what I said in the last few posts Dex.

Watching these Texans got me a little slow, Tex. My I.Q. is dropping to sub
Gameday Kubiak levels.

JB
12-01-2010, 08:56 PM

It was a successful season, and to pretend otherwise is pure BS! Yes, it is less than what many hoped for, but it was the first winning season of a very young franchise. To denigrate that is to demean all the fans that have suffered pro football in many cities for many years.

With this post, you sound like a young fan that was bedazzeled by the early success of Carolina and Jacksonville. But the situations are totally different.

And you would have been one of the first to say "If only" if they would have gone 8-8 yet again.

I am very disappointed this year, but do not demean last year's accomplishments, even if it fell short of your induvidual goals.

Texecutioner
12-01-2010, 09:15 PM
It was a successful season, and to pretend otherwise is pure BS! Yes, it is less than what many hoped for, but it was the first winning season of a very young franchise. To denigrate that is to demean all the fans that have suffered pro football in many cities for many years.

With this post, you sound like a young fan that was bedazzeled by the early success of Carolina and Jacksonville. But the situations are totally different.

And you would have been one of the first to say "If only" if they would have gone 8-8 yet again.

I am very disappointed this year, but do not demean last year's accomplishments, even if it fell short of your induvidual goals.

It was not a successful season. It was one of the worst seasons of failures I've ever witnessed with any team with awful coaching and it has nothing to do with Carolina or any other franchise team. This was not a franchise team that Kubiak took over either and it was his 4th season so spare me with the Carolina comparisons JB. What you just said is exactly what I'm talking about as far as a lack of expectations from fans who are okay with mediocrity. You're stoked about going 9-7 when this team made awful personal decisions at the end of 3 games that cost them the playoffs and it was all behind a HC who was to stubborn to get Chris Brown off of this team and out of games at crucial moments. This team showed all types of ability and potential that they should have been a great team or a very good team, and they made meltdown mistakes that they made the year before and they're still making them this year on an even worse level. That's not success. That's bumping your head again and again and that's inexusable in year 4 of a HC regime if your team has that type of potential. And the fact that this team is in a similar position right now validates those things from last season that were heavily criticized last season even more that many people tried to excuse and sweep under the rug.

And that last win came from a team that had nothing to play for. It was nothing to cheer for, because the Texans season was already over and had a nasty thought of "what could have been?". That's like passing out box drinks and trophies to the last place little league soccor team that never scored a goal all season. This is an NFL franchise and a business and results oriented league. There has never been any level of an over achievement in this franchise and only the opposite especially in the last 3 years of Smithiak who refuses to ever fill holes in the off season in free agency. I won't pat any HC on the back for going 9-7 in his 4th year when it was evident and obvious that he could have done much better and that several losses came from pure bone headed decisions and a lack of action in the off season to improve this team.

JB
12-01-2010, 09:44 PM
I hope I remember to respond to this when I am sober enough to comprehend what you are saying here, 'cause right now I disagree strongly.

DexmanC
12-01-2010, 09:49 PM
I hope I remember to respond to this when I am sober enough to comprehend what you are saying here, 'cause right now I disagree strongly.

Somebody forget to tell you that gameday is TOMORROW night? You giving the
ol' liver a pre-emptive strike?

JB
12-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Somebody forget to tell you that gameday is TOMORROW night? You giving the
ol' liver a pre-emptive strike?

every chance I get!

disaacks3
12-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Well, one thing's for sure, it's already cold here and getting colder! If the wind gets to whipping up and the hands get cold....having Foster toting the rock will do wonders. We honestly need Vick to have an off night and his receivers to have some crucial drops.

JB
12-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Well, one thing's for sure, it's already cold here and getting colder! If the wind gets to whipping up and the hands get cold....having Foster toting the rock will do wonders. We honestly need Vick to have an off night and his receivers to have some crucial drops.

Dan, I really hope you have a good time up there, and please be careful!

Our Texans may surprise a lot of people tomorrow nite...

Or not! But have fun and party well!

Revolution
12-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Lance Z. thinks the Texans can run all over the Eagles...

I'm going with Lance on this one...

texanhead08
12-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Is this the reverse karma thread?? GO TEXANS !!

BobbleTexan
12-01-2010, 10:43 PM

I love my brother. More than any football team. But he doesn't know the first thing about building a race car. He wastes his time, my time, my other brother's time putting a bunch of crap in a mustang, & thinks he's going to have the fastest car on the track come friday night. That has never happened in the last 4 years.

But it doesn't stop him..... or me.. his car, his money, whatever he wants to do.

But I'm not bitter, I'm not mad, I don't "accept mediocrity" it's just the way it is.

Go figure.

I know this team has many issues, and yes they may get beat badly tomorrow. But what if they beat Philly? Then there be all the bandwagoners jumping back on, saying "I told you so". Do I like everything that happens with this team? No, but they have some positives too. Such as the running game this year, last year no running game and look what they were able to do offensively, when teams knew we could not run the ball. Yes there is bad playcalling..bad defense..very average special team play this year. But there is still a chance this team may make the playoffs. So what I posted earlier had lots of sarcasm injected in it.

Lucky
12-01-2010, 10:45 PM
It was a successful season, and to pretend otherwise is pure BS....even if it fell short of your induvidual goals.
That season fell short of the owners, coaches, and players' goals. Why should we, as fans, be happy with last season when the team was not? The '09 season was an opportunity lost. To pretend that your satisfaction with the results should be shared with everyone else seems like horse puckey to me.

I'm getting the same feeling here in 2010. When will the Texans make their patented late season run? Now or after their playoff chances are all but over? Maybe this game does spell "blowout" Or maybe the Texans come out like crazed animals trapped in a corner. If the Texans drop this game in Philly, they would have a 5-7 record after 12 game for the 4th consecutive season. That's a model of consistency I'd like to see discontinued.

JB
12-01-2010, 10:51 PM
That season fell short of the owners, coaches, and players' goals. Why should we, as fans, be happy with last season when the team was not? The '09 season was an opportunity lost. To pretend that your satisfaction with the results should be shared with everyone else seems like horse puckey to me.

I'm getting the same feeling here in 2010. When will the Texans make their patented late season run? Now or after their playoff chances are all but over? Maybe this game does spell "blowout" Or maybe the Texans come out like crazed animals trapped in a corner. If the Texans drop this game in Philly, they would have a 5-7 record after 12 game for the 4th consecutive season. That's a model of consistency I'd like to see discontinued.

No, no. Perhaps I did not come across clearly. I was not happy nor satisfied with the results last year. I was saying that in hindsight, it was a successful season for the franchise because a new plateau was reached.

Mr. White
12-01-2010, 10:54 PM
I watch the Eagles almost every week. My wife's from there and I've got a bunch of them on my fantasy rosters.

We make them look like the '85 Bears based on how they look on paper.

The defense is inconsistent. REAL overrated. Now, they're down 2 starting CB's. The only advantage they have is that they're playing at home.

Their offense is their offense. I guarantee Andy Reid hasn't lost one minute of sleep over Frank Bush and David Gibbs.

If the Eagles take away our run game, then we've got problems. If not, we've got a ball game.

DexmanC
12-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Lance Z. thinks the Texans can run all over the Eagles...

I'm going with Lance on this one...

We thought the Texans could run all over the Colts, too. It doesn't matter
what the team can do, so long as we have a dunderhead calling the shots.

DexmanC
12-01-2010, 11:07 PM
I know this team has many issues, and yes they may get beat badly tomorrow. But what if they beat Philly? Then there be all the bandwagoners jumping back on, saying "I told you so".

Nope. This team MUST go 10-6 to make the playoffs. If THAT happens,
THEN talk about loading the bandwagon. If they beat Philly, so what.
Beat Baltimore.

Texecutioner
12-01-2010, 11:45 PM
I watch the Eagles almost every week. My wife's from there and I've got a bunch of them on my fantasy rosters.

We make them look like the '85 Bears based on how they look on paper.

The defense is inconsistent. REAL overrated. Now, they're down 2 starting CB's. The only advantage they have is that they're playing at home.

Their offense is their offense. I guarantee Andy Reid hasn't lost one minute of sleep over Frank Bush and David Gibbs.

If the Eagles take away our run game, then we've got problems. If not, we've got a ball game.

I agree. I do think that the Texans have a very strong chance at winning this. People are expecting them to get blown out and they might surprise some people and pull this win out. They'd still be 6-6 though and I don't think they'll run the table the rest of the way regardless.

Texecutioner
12-01-2010, 11:53 PM
I know this team has many issues, and yes they may get beat badly tomorrow. But what if they beat Philly? Then there be all the bandwagoners jumping back on, saying "I told you so".

This is probably true. I'd rather see fans either get on one side and stick with it, instead of swapping their soap avatars every other week depending on what the team does and having a completely different opinion on the team, the coaches, and management every other week. I'd rather see the hard core fans like JB who I strongly disagree with support his position the way all the way through (Which he does) and stick to it or stick to the change of opinion on these matters once it's made. Wanting a coach fired and then kept and then fired and then kept every other week is nonsense. Either support your HC, or the support the decision to find a new one if you don't think he's capable of leading this team. The hindsight stuff is a lot of BS from certain fans. That is very band wagonish to me.

Texecutioner
12-01-2010, 11:59 PM

I know what your opinion is on this. You've very clear in the majority of your posts JB. I like you a lot as a poster, but regarding the current state of the team you and I have two very different perspectives here. It's nothing to want to fight over or take personally. I've felt this way since year 3 of this regime though and hated his style of coaching even in his 2nd year. I've yet to be proven wrong and until this HC does prove me wrong, my opinion and approach simply isn't going to change on this. I'm firmly against giving any HC especially an unproven one a long leash like Kubes has been given, and he still has not done anything to change that opinion.

SheTexan
12-02-2010, 02:49 AM
All I know is that my FF team is loaded tomorrow night! I NEED all my guys to have a great game in order to stay in the money! I will be playing AJ, Arian Foster, and Michael Vick! Maybe I'll get lucky and the score will be something like 71-70 with the Texans winning and all my guys making the points!!:) Heck guys, I can dream too!!

GP
12-02-2010, 08:51 AM
We thought the Texans could run all over the Colts, too. It doesn't matter
what the team can do, so long as we have a dunderhead calling the shots.

Somebody actually "gets it."

Just when we get the run game going, POOF! here comes 90% pass plays the rest of the game.

NitroGSXR
12-02-2010, 09:02 AM
The Texans have got to be super pumped about this game. I'm betting on a LOT of agressive playing by the Texans. This fight with Finnegan has got to have changed the attitude in that locker room into something fierce.

Andre! Andre! Andre!

b0ng
12-02-2010, 09:26 AM
I don't think those guys in Philly have watched many Texans games. This has "Close game until 30 seconds left in the 4th" written all over it.

BullNation4Life
12-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Texans win tonight...

27 - 24 because Foster will chew up clock and keep Vick on the sideline. Eagles are hurting on defense right now, both starting CBs out and you can run on the Eagles. I am concerned about Vick extending drives with his legs but if he is on the side lines most the night, that worry dies down a little.

Texans need to make sure to enclose Vick in the pocket, like the Bears did, and give Vick no outs. I know easier said than done but if they want to win, this is the approach they need to take.

They also do not need to worry about yardage ie: passing yardage and rushing. Truth be told, I don't care if Vick throws for 500 yards tonight and McCoy rushes for 150, as long as they are not scoring TDs and the Texans are making the Eagles kick FGs.

Yardage never wins games, scoring does...

Section516
12-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Depends on a few things.

Oline blocking both Pass and Run v Eagles blitz/Speed..A jumpy Matt is a scared Matt..

Cushing continuing to return to form..We need a big game from him and Mario.

Playcalling. Don't pull a :kubepalm:

BullNation4Life
12-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Depends on a few things.

Oline blocking both Pass and Run v Eagles blitz/Speed..A jumpy Matt is a scared Matt..

Cushing continuing to return to form..We need a big game from him and Mario.

Playcalling. Don't pull a :kubepalm:

We need a big game from the whole dam defense tonight, not just those 2. Pollard needs to step his game up as well, he already has given up 7 Red Zone TDs this year with what 0 ints?

This needs to be a collective effort on all players

Section516
12-02-2010, 10:58 AM
If those two dominate, the rest will fall into a good game..We need our mainstays to star (Okoye included) to have our roleplayers shine..

Interesting Five things to watch from ESPN..

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/32802/five-things-to-watch-texans-at-eagles

Kinda slants the Eagles having Matchup problems V Texans if i read this right..

1. Do the Eagles have anyone who can cover the Texans' brawling wide receiver, Andre Johnson?

2. Stewart Bradley has to bounce back after a poor effort against the Bears. The Texans have a running back named Arian Foster who can wear down a defense. Bradley's coming off a game in which he couldn't bring Matt Forte to the ground. Foster's much more powerful than Forte and he also has breakaway speed. He's been perfect this season on third-and-1 conversions and he can also hurt you in the passing game. The Eagles have to play a more fundamentally sound football game. And that's not going to be easy on the short week. Too many players last week were diving at ball carriers instead of making sure they took them to the ground.

3. It's about time for DeSean Jackson to have a breakout game

4. Winston Justice needs to have his best game of the season at right tackle. Texans defensive end Mario Williams has 8.5 sacks this season and he can be one of the most dominating defenders in the league.

5. Vick needs to work through his progressions quickly

eh, 3/5 shading towards the Texans..

thunderkyss
12-02-2010, 11:27 AM
It was not a successful season. It was one of the worst seasons of failures I've ever witnessed with any team with awful coaching and it has nothing to do with Carolina or any other franchise team.

But still the best season the Texans have ever had. Truly worth celebrating. We could have been 10-6, 11-5, or even 12-4...... that would have been the best we could have done, if certain mistakes & gaffs weren't made, I agree with that.

If we ever win a play-off game, I guarantee you there will be celebrating. We'll all understand it isn't the same as winning a Super Bowl, but there will be celebrating.

This was not a franchise team that Kubiak took over either and it was his 4th season so spare me with the Carolina comparisons JB. What you just said is exactly what I'm talking about as far as a lack of expectations from fans who are okay with mediocrity. You're stoked about going 9-7 when this team made awful personal decisions at the end of 3 games that cost them the playoffs and it was all behind a HC who was to stubborn to get Chris Brown off of this team and out of games at crucial moments.

Don't put words in his mouth. He didn't say he was "stoked" about going 9-7. We celebrated for having our first winning season. Again, going 10-6, or 11-5, or 12-4 would have been a different celebration all together.

We were happy, and celebrating the fact for the first time ever, this expansion team that isn't an expansion team didn't have a losing season.

This team showed all types of ability and potential that they should have been a great team or a very good team, and they made meltdown mistakes that they made the year before and they're still making them this year on an even worse level. That's not success. That's bumping your head again and again and that's inexusable in year 4 of a HC regime if your team has that type of potential.

Definitely things going on that are difficult to explain. As far as making the same mistakes......

We haven't lost any games this year, because of a missed field goal.
We haven't lost any games because of an untimely fumble at the goal line.
We haven't been plagued by the fumblitus that bit us last year.
We haven't been turnover prone the way we were last year.

I'm assuming you're talking about the last three games we lost.
Aj kicking the ball to a Chargers defender.....
Quin batting the ball to a Jags receivers hands...
Then our defense just not being able to play a prevent defense.....

similarities, I agree, but nothing as bad as last year. We couldn't get out of our way last year. This year, seems like we're taking a slow it down, don't get too excited approach. We aren't making the number of mistakes we did last year, & we're also better in the redzone than we were last year. Last year, no problem moving the ball between the 20s, stumble in the redzone. This year, stumble in the redzone..... if we manage to get there.

And the fact that this team is in a similar position right now validates those things from last season that were heavily criticized last season even more that many people tried to excuse and sweep under the rug.

If you take the problems we're having this year, and make yourself believe they are the exact same problems we struggled with last year, then yes. There would be some validation there.

However, if you look at today's problems & acknowledge they are not the same as last year, the validation isn't really there.

And that last win came from a team that had nothing to play for. It was nothing to cheer for, because the Texans season was already over and had a nasty thought of "what could have been?".

Not at all. The Texans season wasn't over until later that afternoon.

Imagine we lost that game.... Then the Jet's lost their game.... The Steelers would have got the play-off berth & you'd be bitching because we didn't win the game you're trying to pass of as meaningless now.

thunderkyss
12-02-2010, 11:42 AM
That's like passing out box drinks and trophies to the last place little league soccor team that never scored a goal all season. This is an NFL franchise and a business and results oriented league. There has never been any level of an over achievement in this franchise and only the opposite especially in the last 3 years of Smithiak who refuses to ever fill holes in the off season in free agency. I won't pat any HC on the back for going 9-7 in his 4th year when it was evident and obvious that he could have done much better and that several losses came from pure bone headed decisions and a lack of action in the off season to improve this team.

He's the Texans head coach. That's the only reason I'm defending him. But if he were wrong, if it were "evident & obvious" I wouldn't have a problem with what you're saying. I've commented on his shortcommings & boneheaded decisions..... but in this situation, no I don't believe it is "evident & obvious."

I think it's evident and obvious that you would have done something years ago, that would have changed the way this franchise is ran. & that's fine.

But as far as FAs.. personally, I think it was evident & obvious, that free agents weren't going to come to Houston. At least not the "big names." When mediocre David Givens picked the Titans over the Texans, that told me we don't stand a chance, until we start winning.

I have not had a problem with this regimes handling of free agents since then because of that.

If we got a FA, it's because no one else wanted him, & we didn't pay too much to eventually put us in cap hell.

If we had a Cowher or a Gruden, then yeah, you'll probably get some big names to come play for us. But the way it is now..... not so much.

The last three years of this franchise has been the best it's ever been. You have decided instead of enjoying what we have now, you'll focus on what we aren't, what we could have been.....

thunderkyss
12-02-2010, 11:48 AM

If my daughter gets a C+ in trig, it's well short of my goals & expectations. We won't celebrate, or have a parade, but we'll both be happy it wasn't an F.

thunderkyss
12-02-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm firmly against giving any HC especially an unproven one a long leash like Kubes has been given, and he still has not done anything to change that opinion.

This I completely agree with.

Which, is why I don't care what happens to Kubiak from here on out. But before this season is over, I'd like to see a director of football operations in the organization.

Just like many believe Kubiak shouldn't have the opportunity to choose a 3rd defensive coordinator, I don't think McNair should have the opportunity to choose a 3rd head coach for the Houston Texans, & I think Rick Smith's choice would come from a very familiar circle of friends, if he were given the opportunity.

TexansSeminole
12-02-2010, 11:55 AM
If my daughter gets a C+ in trig, it's well short of my goals & expectations. We won't celebrate, or have a parade, but we'll both be happy it wasn't an F.

Perhaps others expect different things from the team.

I was never expected to get a F in anything. Failing was completely unacceptable. A C+ was also not good and not only would there be no celebration, but I would be hearing alot from both of my parents about my lack of effort.

I don't think we, as fans, should be happy simply because we didn't get an F (4-12 type of season), and settle for a C+ (8-8 type of season).

I want A's (12-4 type of seasons) and at worst B's (playoff making seasons).

thunderkyss
12-02-2010, 11:56 AM
The Texans have got to be super pumped about this game. I'm betting on a LOT of agressive playing by the Texans. This fight with Finnegan has got to have changed the attitude in that locker room into something fierce.

Andre! Andre! Andre!

You know we settled for a field goal on that same drive??

Right after the fight, Andre ejected, Finnegan laughing from the sideline, more pushing & shoving...

We settled for a field goal.

TexansSeminole
12-02-2010, 11:59 AM
You know we settled for a field goal on that same drive??

Right after the fight, Andre ejected, Finnegan laughing from the sideline, more pushing & shoving...

We settled for a field goal.

We were also running out the clock and did so pretty effectively. We ran something like 9 straight run plays.

Texanmike02
12-02-2010, 12:07 PM

Stat------ Cutler----- Schaub
Attempt ----292------367
Comp--------180-----236
Comp%------61.6-----64.3
INT----------10------7
TD----------16-------15
Yards-------2311-----2752

So a higher completion percentage a MUCH lower int/pa ratio as well as a much lower int/td ratio?

How exactly does cutler have a better arm that Schaub?

Granted that is for THIS year. Schaub would tell you this hasn't been his best year though. OH... This probably IS Cutler's best year.

Did I mention that schaub is a main cog in an offense that puts up 24 pts a game while cutler's puts up 20.2ppg?

Now go ahead. Tell me they are stats and they mean nothing. There is no actual way to debate who is better... nothing tangible that makes one player better than another. It is all based on who you think is better.

Actually, cutler does wear the number 6. And sixth place is better than eighth place. In fact ignore the rest of what I said Cutler certainly wears a better number than Schaub.

Mike

Texanmike02
12-02-2010, 12:16 PM

The dissapointment on this team is the play of whichever player is supposed to support our Young CBs. Yes our CBs get burned but the Jets game is a perfect example of how bad our safety play is. KEEP HIM IN BOUNDS and the game is over. I was screaming at the DBs to run along the sidelines and make the tackle in the middle of the field... I knew that..

I hope your daughter does well in trig. Our secondary is the equivelant of dropping out of HS and turning into the octomom at the ripe old age of 16.

Mike

Hervoyel
12-02-2010, 12:27 PM
I just want to see the Texans not be humiliated on national television. Again.

Past that it's all gravy.

Ole Miss Texan
12-02-2010, 12:29 PM

Well the 4th quarter is the most important, that's when a lot of quarterbacks are measured. Can they lead their team to a comeback win?

Last year we had NO running game and Schaub dominated. THis year our passing game is struggling but our running game is dominating.

No he's not the playmaker that Vick, Brady, Peyton, Big Ben are... but neither is Cutler. But Schaub has taken over games before and been the reason we've won.

Cutler I would argue may have more upside/potential than Schaub but he's not necessarily a better QB at this point. Cutler was their MVP against the Eagles? Well good for him. Schaub has taken over games and been THE reason we've won too.

This season against "playoff teams"? I might consider Schaub's performance against Washington and Kansas City pretty darn good. There were lots of instances were Schaub was THE only reason we were in games last season. Several times he led us down the field to win or tie at the end of the game. No we didn't win some of those... and that's why we have a new kicker

Texanmike02
12-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Well the 4th quarter is the most important, that's when a lot of quarterbacks are measured. Can they lead their team to a comeback win?

Last year we had NO running game and Schaub dominated. THis year our passing game is struggling but our running game is dominating.

No he's not the playmaker that Vick, Brady, Peyton, Big Ben are... but neither is Cutler. But Schaub has taken over games before and been the reason we've won.

Cutler I would argue may have more upside/potential than Schaub but he's not necessarily a better QB at this point. Cutler was their MVP against the Eagles? Well good for him. Schaub has taken over games and been THE reason we've won too.

This season against "playoff teams"? I might consider Schaub's performance against Washington and Kansas City pretty darn good. There were lots of instances were Schaub was THE only reason we were in games last season. Several times he led us down the field to win or tie at the end of the game. No we didn't win some of those... and that's why we have stricken K(ch)ris Brown from the team.

fixed

Double Barrel
12-02-2010, 12:37 PM

Which, is why I don't care what happens to Kubiak from here on out. But before this season is over, I'd like to see a director of football operations in the organization.

Just like many believe Kubiak shouldn't have the opportunity to choose a 3rd defensive coordinator, I don't think McNair should have the opportunity to choose a 3rd head coach for the Houston Texans, & I think Rick Smith's choice would come from a very familiar circle of friends, if he were given the opportunity.

I know that you were probably not trying to be humorous, but the bolded made me chuckle a little bit.

A billion dollars buys him as many opportunities to choose head coaches as he wants regardless of what any of us think about it. :winky:

Hardcore Texan
12-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Okay, I have changed my avatar to bring some baby magic.

Trail.Blazr
12-02-2010, 12:57 PM

While Cutler had a great game, I won't begrudge anyone for this take, I believe Schaub is just as capable of having a good "MVP" type game against the eggles too.

No disrespect to your MVP thoughts in the Chicago/Eagles game, but I thought that Peppers was the biggest man on the field that day... Something, that when compared to anyone on the Texans, I feel less confident in Houston's ability to match. Peppers was INSTRUMENTAL in Vick's lackluster game.

Bottom line, I don't think Houston will have any issues, offensively, to keep pace with what Chicago did last week. It's the Defensive side of the ball that will be key.

NitroGSXR
12-02-2010, 01:09 PM
KBut still the best season the Texans have ever had. Truly worth celebrating. We could have been 10-6, 11-5, or even 12-4...... that would have been the best we could have done, if certain mistakes & gaffs weren't made, I agree with that.

If we ever win a play-off game, I guarantee you there will be celebrating. We'll all understand it isn't the same as winning a Super Bowl, but there will be celebrating.

Don't put words in his mouth. He didn't say he was "stoked" about going 9-7. We celebrated for having our first winning season. Again, going 10-6, or 11-5, or 12-4 would have been a different celebration all together.

We were happy, and celebrating the fact for the first time ever, this expansion team that isn't an expansion team didn't have a losing season.

Definitely things going on that are difficult to explain. As far as making the same mistakes......

We haven't lost any games this year, because of a missed field goal.
We haven't lost any games because of an untimely fumble at the goal line.
We haven't been plagued by the fumblitus that bit us last year.
We haven't been turnover prone the way we were last year.

I'm assuming you're talking about the last three games we lost.
Aj kicking the ball to a Chargers defender.....
Quin batting the ball to a Jags receivers hands...
Then our defense just not being able to play a prevent defense.....

similarities, I agree, but nothing as bad as last year. We couldn't get out of our way last year. This year, seems like we're taking a slow it down, don't get too excited approach. We aren't making the number of mistakes we did last year, & we're also better in the redzone than we were last year. Last year, no problem moving the ball between the 20s, stumble in the redzone. This year, stumble in the redzone..... if we manage to get there.

If you take the problems we're having this year, and make yourself believe they are the exact same problems we struggled with last year, then yes. There would be some validation there.

However, if you look at today's problems & acknowledge they are not the same as last year, the validation isn't really there.

Not at all. The Texans season wasn't over until later that afternoon.

Imagine we lost that game.... Then the Jet's lost their game.... The Steelers would have got the play-off berth & you'd be bitching because we didn't win the game you're trying to pass of as meaningless now.

nononono... it was a GREAT afternoon seeing the Steelers get eliminated and our hopes ALIVE... it wasn't until that LATE EVENING after the Bungles got blown out...

Man... what a day of highs and lows...

houstonspartan
12-02-2010, 02:48 PM

lol. You are not a season ticket holder. No way in hell.

CloakNNNdagger
12-02-2010, 03:07 PM

I'm trying to stay positive. But if you really want to be sure that you don't have to be exposed to that again, you might consider cooking up an additional batch of gravy to throw at the TV..........just in case.

Pass the gravy, please.............:)

http://janeheller.mlblogs.com/gravy.jpg

fiasco west
12-02-2010, 03:31 PM

Hopefully it goes something like our last Thurs. Night game. Also though I'm just hoping they don't get embarrassed.

Surreal McCoy
12-02-2010, 03:41 PM
I know that you were probably not trying to be humorous, but the bolded made me chuckle a little bit.

A billion dollars buys him as many opportunities to choose head coaches as he wants regardless of what any of us think about it. :winky:

But don't you see, he doesn't care about winning. All he cares about is if the stadium is sold out and his blue blazer! :sleep:

Lucky
12-02-2010, 06:26 PM
...but we'll both be happy it wasn't an F.
That's great. But, I say it's time to bring in the A team.

http://blog.cleveland.com/browns_impact/2008/12/large_bill-cowher.jpg

thunderkyss
12-02-2010, 07:12 PM
lol. You are not a season ticket holder. No way in hell.

I guess you would be happy if McNair decides to give Marinelli another shot?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRow-O3oMKb6fCv455X5UZ3cFEVw-0wHAu8_dq-65uN2zylLcUd6A

Regardless who your favorite is for the next head coach, the chances that McNair grabs that guy.... is close to nill..... even though it sounds like a good deal..... too good to be true..... a no brainer..... Houston's next coach won't be who you think it should be...... chances are.

Texecutioner
12-02-2010, 07:16 PM
I guess you would be happy if McNair decides to give Marinelli another shot?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRow-O3oMKb6fCv455X5UZ3cFEVw-0wHAu8_dq-65uN2zylLcUd6A

Regardless who your favorite is for the next head coach, the chances that McNair grabs that guy.... is close to nill..... even though it sounds like a good deal..... too good to be true..... a no brainer..... Houston's next coach won't be who you think it should be...... chances are.

Wasn't it just two weeks ago that you said that Marinelli shouldn't have been fired after going 0-16? Lol!

thunderkyss
12-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Wasn't it just two weeks ago that you said that Marinelli shouldn't have been fired after going 0-16? Lol!

& I'll say it again today.

lol.

I won't have a problem if a Mike Holmgren, or Bill Parcells guy says Marinelli should be our new head coach.

If Bob McNair says it, or Rick Smith..... I'll have a problem.

Lucky
12-02-2010, 11:23 PM
T If the Texans drop this game in Philly, they would have a 5-7 record after 12 game for the 4th consecutive season.
Groundhog Day starring Gary Kubiak!

I've seen this movie. Time to change the channel.

houstonspartan
12-02-2010, 11:32 PM
& I'll say it again today.

lol.

I won't have a problem if a Mike Holmgren, or Bill Parcells guy says Marinelli should be our new head coach.

If Bob McNair says it, or Rick Smith..... I'll have a problem.

Again: No way are you a Houston Texans season ticket holder.

No.

Freaking.

Way.

You like to lose. Those who spend money on NFL games don't rationalize losing like you do.

thunderkyss
12-03-2010, 06:47 AM
Again: No way are you a Houston Texans season ticket holder.

No.

Freaking.

Way.

You like to lose. Those who spend money on NFL games don't rationalize losing like you do.

How do you get that out of the two posts you replied to?

In both posts, I say McNair isn't qualified to hire a third head coach, & should find someone who is.

As a matter of fact, in the first post, I'm saying Kubiak has more influence than a head coach should.

wagonhed
12-03-2010, 09:57 AM
He probably got it from the thousands of other posts where you do exactly what he said you do.

Ole Miss Texan
12-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Welp... at least it wasn't a blowout...

NitroGSXR
12-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Welp... at least it wasn't a blowout...

Only cause the Eagles couldn't hold onto easy TD passes. Even Glover Quin had a TD pass phantomlike defensed.

houstonspartan
12-03-2010, 10:51 AM
He probably got it from the thousands of other posts where you do exactly what he said you do.

LOL!!!

Thanks. I was about to reply and say the same thing, but you beat me to it.

wagonhed
12-03-2010, 02:32 PM
LOL!!!

Thanks. I was about to reply and say the same thing, but you beat me to it.

lol, no problem. :mariopalm:

scourge
12-03-2010, 03:33 PM
I agree with this completely. The points our offense can put up is often negated by the points we allow the other team to put up.

Ole Miss Texan
12-03-2010, 04:04 PM
The points our offense can put up is often negated by the points we allow the other team to put up.

That has never happened in a game we won... only in games we lose.

thunderkyss
12-04-2010, 08:22 PM

find one where I rationalize losing.

& since there are thousands, it should be easy to find one where I explicitly rationalize losing....

don't come with a post where you have to infer my love of losing.