PDA

View Full Version : Vikings approached on moving team to Los Angeles: official

Kaiser Toro
12-01-2010, 10:49 AM
(Reuters) - Two Los Angeles groups have inquired about moving the Minnesota Vikings National Football League team to California, a Vikings official said.

The NFL currently does not have a team in Los Angeles, the nation's second biggest market, but the Vikings said they had fielded enquiries.

"We have been approached by two different groups in Los Angeles - the Ed Roski group and more recently by former (Minnesota) Timberwolves CEO Tim Leiweke and AEG," Vikings vice president of stadium development and public affairs Lester Bagley said on the team's website (www.vikings.com).

But Bagley said the Vikings did not have any plans to move from Minnesota and were focusing instead on building a world-class facility in the midwestern state.

"We feel solid momentum and feel we're well-positioned with the new legislature and governor," Bagley said in a question-and-answer chat.

The Vikings are in the final year of their lease with the aging Metrodome, their domed stadium in downtown Minneapolis.

Bagley said team owner Zygi Wilf and Vikings management had toured the LA Live entertainment complex in 2009 while at an NFL owners' meeting. The Vikings were trying to get ideas on building a similar sports/entertainment district in Minnesota, he said.

Roski's group has plans for an $800 million stadium project in the City of Industry, a Los Angeles suburb.

Leiweke and sports-entertainment group AEG have proposed building a privately financed billion dollar stadium next to the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Los Angeles has been without an NFL team since the Raiders and Rams left following the 1994 season. The Raiders relocated to Oakland and the Rams moved to St. Louis.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6B03YX20101201?type=sportsNews

Dread-Head
12-01-2010, 11:07 AM
So they want to steal the Vikings...the way they stole the LAKERS?

Second Honeymoon
12-01-2010, 12:29 PM
They also stole Kareem who makes LeBJ look like Matt Maloney

I feel JVille should go to LA
If they re-align simply move Arizona to AFC South
Move LA to NFC West like it used to be

There are other options (KC instead of STL)

houstonspartan
12-01-2010, 12:35 PM

I feel JVille should go to LA
If they re-align simply move Arizona to AFC South
Move LA to NFC West like it used to be

There are other options (KC instead of STL)

Move Jacksonville to LA, and have them and St. Louis swap divisions.

Simple.

GP
12-01-2010, 02:37 PM
This would be a complete travesty, IMO.

False Start
12-01-2010, 05:28 PM

I agree. The Vikings are classic. It would be like the Bears moving IMO.

JB
12-01-2010, 06:31 PM

I agree. The Vikings are classic. It would be like the Bears moving IMO.

Then the city needs to step up and get a stadium deal done.

Koolaid Time
12-02-2010, 12:48 AM
Then the city needs to step up and get a stadium deal done.

The State of California is insolvent. The City and County of Los Angeles isn't too far behind.

Someone in the private sector will have to bear the upfront expense. In this economy, that's going to be tough.

JB
12-02-2010, 06:14 AM
The State of California is insolvent. The City and County of Los Angeles isn't too far behind.

Someone in the private sector will have to bear the upfront expense. In this economy, that's going to be tough.

I was talking Minn. if they want to keep the Vikings there.

Norg
12-02-2010, 11:31 AM
SO does that mean the vikes go to the NFC or AFC west ???????????

Maybe the Rams should join the AFC south if that happens and kick the colts out :P

THe colts we just stuck in the south in like 1999 or something like that and there not even in the south

Stacadic
12-02-2010, 12:20 PM

Maybe the Rams should join the AFC south if that happens and kick the colts out :P

THe colts we just stuck in the south in like 1999 or something like that and there not even in the south

How about this? We'll take the Colts off your hands and give you the Cowboys in return?

Dallas is in the South and Indy is in the East. Its a win-win situation :doot:

Dutchrudder
12-02-2010, 12:22 PM

Yeah... get rid of the Colts just as Manning is getting ready to retire. Great idea....

Hervoyel
12-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Move Jacksonville to LA, and have them and St. Louis swap divisions.

Simple.

Move Jacksonville to St.Louis where they should have been placed to begin with, then put the Rams back in L.A. where they belong.

Not much more complicated and infinitely more appropriate.

TimeKiller
12-02-2010, 12:52 PM
LA doesn't deserve another shot at caring about a football team. Plus, there are 3 teams in Cali already. Pick one LA fan, if you really actually do care about a PRO football team, Chargers, Raiders or 49ers. Hell, haven't TWO of those teams been located in LA before?

Kulluminatii
12-02-2010, 01:19 PM
LA doesn't deserve another shot at caring about a football team. Plus, there are 3 teams in Cali already. Pick one LA fan, if you really actually do care about a PRO football team, Chargers, Raiders or 49ers. Hell, haven't TWO of those teams been located in LA before?

Why doesn't LA deserve a shot? Because multiple teams have up and left and have effectively alienated most of the NFL football fanbase located there?

All those teams in LA moved due to stadium issues first and foremost, attendance was a distant second, but was also related to the stadium. Can you even count the Chargers? They played for one season in LA in a then brand new league. The Raiders moving back to Oakland was completely stadium-related. They played in the Coliseum, which wasn't up the standards of an NFL-stadium back then, and definitely doesn't fit those standards now. The Coliseum has no club seats where NFL teams really generate revenue from a stadium, and its not located in the most "family-friendly" area in LA. The Coliseum seats over 93,000, many teams would have trouble selling out a stadium of that size. Still, the Raiders managed to have many 90,000+ games in their 13 years in LA.

For an NFL team to have success in LA, they need to build a state-of-the-art stadium that seats around 70-80k. That would at least give those in LA who don't trust the NFL the peace of mind that the team will be in LA for the long haul. Also, an owner who isn't still stuck in the '70s/'80s-way of building teams wouldn't hurt ;).

houstonspartan
12-02-2010, 01:35 PM

So, you think Florida deserves three football teams - and two baseball teams, and two basketball teams, and two hockey teams - but California doesn't? Florida is competely oversaturated with major league sports.

El Tejano
12-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Waive enough money in his face and Jerry Jones will head out there. He's all about the glitz and glamour afterall and there are enough mexican Cowboy fans out there for it to feel like Dallas still. Besides, the Cowboys don't even play in Dallas now.

houstonspartan
12-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Waive enough money in his face and Jerry Jones will head out there. He's all about the glitz and glamour afterall and there are enough mexican Cowboy fans out there for it to feel like Dallas still. Besides, the Cowboys don't even play in Dallas now.

LOL. The Cowboys will never, ever leave Dallas. The team/brand would cease to exist if it wasn't located in Texas.

burro
12-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Jacksonville should definitely go. Their stadium situation is awful and last I heard, some of their games were being blacked out even in Jacksonville. Furthermore, why did they put a team in Jacksonville anyhow? It's not a market sizable enough to sustain an NFL team. They should go to LA and switch St. Louis.

Ranger Tom
12-02-2010, 08:06 PM

According to the guy behind the new L.A. stadium (Edward Roski), it's already done. He says he can build the whole thing with private funds only.

Kulluminatii
12-02-2010, 08:18 PM
According to the guy behind the new L.A. stadium (Edward Roski), it's already done. He says he can build the whole thing with private funds only.

Yup, if he gets a team he'll be footing the bill for his stadium. Same with the other group who are targeting downtown LA. I have no doubt that a team will be in LA within the next 2 years, everything is in place besides an actual NFL franchise.

imatexan
12-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Move Jacksonville to St.Louis where they should have been placed to begin with, then put the Rams back in L.A. where they belong.

Not much more complicated and infinitely more appropriate.

I like this idea.

Koolaid Time
12-04-2010, 07:08 AM
Yup, if he gets a team he'll be footing the bill for his stadium. Same with the other group who are targeting downtown LA. I have no doubt that a team will be in LA within the next 2 years, everything is in place besides an actual NFL franchise.

Forbes has the value of the Vikings at $774 million as of August this year.

I don't see the Wilfs selling to either Roski or AEG for less than $850-$900 million.

And it doesn't make sense for Roski to build a stadium just to be the Landlord.

Kulluminatii
12-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Forbes has the value of the Vikings at $774 million as of August this year.

I don't see the Wilfs selling to either Roski or AEG for less than $850-$900 million.

And it doesn't make sense for Roski to build a stadium just to be the Landlord.

Yeah, which is why Roski wants a share of the team, I believe in the ballpark of at least 30-40%. I'm not 100% sure if the stadium group (AEG/Magic + others) in downtown LA want a share of the team, if they don't, then they have a MUCH better chance of attracting a team.

If a lockout were to happen, it would kill off any chances for Roski to get a team in his stadium, the other group would have enough time to catch up and will gain much more interest from NFL teams with a stadium design in place.

Norg
12-05-2010, 12:15 AM
THe rams in the AFC south imo would still be a threat

THe almost beat houston last year

Gave JAXS a OT game well all they could handle

but i think the titans blew them out

i wouldnt think the Rams would be afraid of either of the 3 teams

GuerillaBlack
12-05-2010, 01:14 AM
So, you think Florida deserves three football teams - and two baseball teams, and two basketball teams, and two hockey teams - but California doesn't? Florida is competely oversaturated with major league sports.

Not to mention Cali has twice as many people as Florida. The LA area alone is the size of DFW, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio areas combined.

Dan B.
12-05-2010, 01:34 AM
I still think NFL owners will be very uncomfortable with a privately financed stadium. It sets a bad precedent. I think they would rather continue to force communities to pay for stadia through taxes. That way the owners never have to spend a penny and they just keep on raking in billions. LA works better as a bargaining chip than as an actual NFL market. You just have a different owner threaten to leave every year, and a different city held hostage each time will eventually cave in and build a new palace to replace the 30 year old monstrosity without enough luxury boxes that their team is currently forced to play in. A couple of years ago it was the Colts that were going to move. Then Indy built them a new stadium, so now it's Minny and Jacksonville's turn. Once they or some other city writes one individual a billion dollar check, the cycle will be repeated with another team.

Kulluminatii
12-05-2010, 02:15 AM
Yes, teams will use LA as leverage, which is what I believe Minny is doing. But sooner, rather than later, at least one team will be in LA. Roger Goodell is hellbent on putting a team in the #2 media market, and I can't really blame him.

powerfuldragon
12-05-2010, 01:49 PM

there's gotta be a better way of shortening lebron james.

houstonspartan
12-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Yes, teams will use LA as leverage, which is what I believe Minny is doing. But sooner, rather than later, at least one team will be in LA. Roger Goodell is hellbent on putting a team in the #2 media market, and I can't really blame him.

Yep.

The NFL has pretty much made two things clear:

1) There will be no more expansion.

2) LA will have a team.

Someone is moving to Cali.