PDA

View Full Version : Kornheiser: Johnson avoided suspension due to Thursday game

Wolf
11-30-2010, 10:11 PM
Wondering why Andre Johnson(notes) and Cortland Finnegan(notes) got off without a suspension for their vicious, on-field brawl on Sunday? Former "Monday Night Football" announcer Tony Kornheiser thinks it had to do with the NFL's self-interests in promoting this week's Thursday night game.

Johnson and the Houston Texans will face the Philadelphia Eagles in this week's Thursday game. A suspension would have kept the star receiver off the field and would have given the television network broadcasting the game less star power to promote. As Kornheiser noted on his Washington D.C.-radio show on Tuesday, the network in question just so happens to be owned by the NFL.

"Do you think that part of [the lack of suspension for Johnson] might have to do with the fact that the NFL, which owns the NFL Network, has a game on Thursday night featuring the Houston Texans, whose only draw is basically Andre Johnson? And I'm not going to say, 'I'm not saying, I'm just saying.' I'm gonna say, I think it does.

"This is a commissioner who sits guys out for multiple games for things that happen off the field -- and more power to him. But this made a mockery of the field."

That's a bold claim, but not an unfair one. The NFL opened itself up to criticism like this when it created the Thursday night television package to prop up its fledgling, self-owned network. There's a massive conflict of interest involved when situations like this develop.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Kornheiser-Johnson-avoided-suspension-due-to-Th?urn=nfl-290479

OzzO
11-30-2010, 10:22 PM
"Wondering why Kornholio is no longer on MNF? Current NFL players and fans that believe AJ did the right thing to put Corty in his place, think it had to do with the NFL's self-interests in keeping monday Night Football watchable w/o having to mute the tv...."

Doppelganger
11-30-2010, 10:27 PM
"Wondering why Kornholio is no longer on MNF? Current NFL players and fans that believe AJ did the right thing to put Corty in his place, think it had to do with the NFL's self-interests in keeping monday Night Football watchable w/o having to mute the tv...."

I can see where he is going coming on the heels of a dreadful Monday night game. But this is not wrestling. The league does not decide the winners or losers. They do not influence games in that way.

Hookem Horns
11-30-2010, 10:27 PM
John McClain predicted that AJ would not be suspended for the same reason on Monday. The NFL is a business and business is better with AJ on the field for that game.

TexanSam
11-30-2010, 10:28 PM
Not a bad argument.

El Tejano
11-30-2010, 10:31 PM
Let's just call it being BENROTHLESBURGERED and be happy the NFL decided to shine on us for once.

Texan_Bill
11-30-2010, 10:32 PM
While there may be some truth to that, at the end of the day..... AJ's only other discretion was against who??? Innegan..... because he's a POS.

While we "suck again", most of the league knows what a stud AJ is.

DBCooper
11-30-2010, 10:35 PM
AJ wasn't suspended because he whooped a punk ass leprechaun and nobody blames him.

El Tejano
11-30-2010, 10:36 PM
To me it's something you get when you do your job at the level AJ does without any drama or fuss from him. One of those things where hard work just pays off in the long run.

gtexan02
11-30-2010, 10:36 PM
AJ wasn't suspended because:
1) His reputation
2) The NFL Network game

He threw two punches, and landed them both, to a helmetless receiver. I thought that was an automatic suspension

jaayteetx
11-30-2010, 10:37 PM
I thought the same thing, but he is not the only draw, hello, we have the league's leading rusher, a pro bowl qb and a stout defense, uh, scratch that last one. You get my point.

Doppelganger
11-30-2010, 10:38 PM
I just hope we don't see a bunch of teams sending out scrubs to get the other team's best player thrown out of the game if the penalty is only $25k and no next game suspension.

I don't want football to turn into hockey.

TheMatrix31
11-30-2010, 10:49 PM
AJ wasn't suspended because he whooped a punk ass leprechaun and nobody blames him.

Exactly. I'm sick of hearing about other reasons.

infantrycak
11-30-2010, 10:51 PM
John McClain predicted that AJ would not be suspended for the same reason on Monday. The NFL is a business and business is better with AJ on the field for that game.

Thing is predictions or opinions can be based on a facially logical argument and still be totally wrong. We'll never find out if this is true but now it will be repeated for years as the truth.

MEGA SWATT
11-30-2010, 10:54 PM
The decision has been made, let's move on and kick some eagle a$$.

CloakNNNdagger
11-30-2010, 10:57 PM
Thing is predictions or opinions can be based on a facially logical argument and still be totally wrong. We'll never find out if this is true but now it will be repeated for years as the truth.

And this one fits the bill perfectly.:goodpost:

DocBar
11-30-2010, 11:07 PM
AJ being a model citizen HAD to play into the decision. Finnegan should give next weeks game check to AJ cuz the NFL couldn't suspend Finnegan and NOt AJ. AJ is everything the NFL wants in a role model. Yes, he lost his cool and had a fight, but some things are worth fighting for or fighting over. I hope Finnegan got a sternly worded message along with his non-suspension...."you've worn out your welcome. Shape up or you'll be shipped out". The man is a punk and AJ punked him out for all the world to see.

ThaShark316
11-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Lemme ask the church this:

Matt Light beat the dogshit out of Channing Crowder two years ago, right?

Crowder's helmet was off, Light's was on!!!! Light landed punches, and was NOT suspended. So spare me the fact that Dre wasn't suspended due to TNF. Hell, half the NFL fans don't have the NFL network. Kornheiser has been a douche since he called out my baby's mama, Hannah Storm...*****.

BullNation4Life
11-30-2010, 11:13 PM
Andre Johnson was going to play on Thursday regardless of the suspension or not. All AJ had to do is appeal the suspension, which takes a week or so to process, he plays Thursday, possibly against the Ravens and sits against the Titans....

This "conspiracy" has no legs, IMO Johnson was playing Thursday regardless UNLESS he himself and Kubiak decided not to appeal to get the suspension over quicker, taking AJ out of Thursday's game....

DBCooper
11-30-2010, 11:19 PM
I wanna see AJ punch Kornholer!

Texan_Bill
11-30-2010, 11:22 PM

No!! No!!! NO!!!! Pay me a nomial fee and air fare, and I'll be happy to fly to DC and punch Kornholio in the face!

ChampionTexan
11-30-2010, 11:30 PM

You're right, we'll never know, but it wouldn't surprise me one little bit if the Thursday Night Game did play some sort of role in the decision. (Wouldn't bother me one little bit either).

JB
11-30-2010, 11:56 PM
No!! No!!! NO!!!! Pay me a nomial fee and air fare, and I'll be happy to fly to DC and punch Kornholio in the face!

Melonheads is melonheads the world over!
Kornhole is just trying to make himself the news. Frag him!

Showtime100
12-01-2010, 02:21 AM
Andre Johnson was going to play on Thursday regardless of the suspension or not. All AJ had to do is appeal the suspension, which takes a week or so to process, he plays Thursday, possibly against the Ravens and sits against the Titans....

This "conspiracy" has no legs, IMO Johnson was playing Thursday regardless UNLESS he himself and Kubiak decided not to appeal to get the suspension over quicker, taking AJ out of Thursday's game....

I like this post but would like to spinkle a little conspiracy back into it.

I tend to shy away from conspiracy theories until I see a smoking gun so I'm not really in that camp but let's try this on for size. So the NFL doesn't suspend AJ for the Thursday night game because they want AJ on the field. Could be they were thinking suspension in the beginning and decided against that after looking at Houston's next two games after that. All of which I think the NFL would like to AJ playing.

(Thursday @ Philadelphia)
Wk #14, Monday Night Football vs Baltimore
Wk #15, @ Tennessee.

NFLN or not, Goodell would like AJ in those games. I'm not really up on how long a typical appeal takes, but anytime after 12/19 seems like pretty good while after the fact. Add a few days for "slyness" on the NFL's part for good looks and you would be looking at Christmas before his appeal would be (of course) denied.

Maybe Goodell said 'to hell with it' and left the suspension off the table and everybody's happy.

Allstar
12-01-2010, 04:20 AM
It's a very valid argument. I would just chuckle if it were true. It would just make Titans fans even more mad :lol:

Lucky
12-01-2010, 06:42 AM
Fans will be tuning into the Thursday night game to watch Michael Vick. As much as I love to watch Andre play, ratings for the game would have not been affected by his absence. And the NFL knows that. The NFL did not suspend Johnson because they don't want to encourage hack players into drawing stars into fights. They know who the culprit was.

:kubepalm:Kornholio

CloakNNNdagger
12-01-2010, 08:13 AM

Andre Johnson would not have chosen to appeal and therefore forfeit the chance to help his team in the only game of the next 3 that could give us a chance to get into the playoffs........a division game...........especially, against a team in such turmoil.

Tailgate
12-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Fans will be tuning into the Thursday night game to watch Michael Vick. As much as I love to watch Andre play, ratings for the game would have not been affected by his absence. And the NFL knows that. The NFL did not suspend Johnson because they don't want to encourage hack players into drawing stars into fights. They know who the culprit was.

:kubepalm:Kornholio

BINGO.

Here is also PKs take:

The idea that Johnson was not suspended because the Texans are about to play the Eagles on Thursday night in a game that will be televised by the NFL Network is ridiculous. Itís unfathomable how many people believe the league could think that way. Yes, Johnson is great, but the game will draw huge ratings whether heís on the field or not. Bad games, bad teams and missing players donít make people hesitant to watch. History, and the ratings from Thanksgiving, consistently shows us that. The league is not influenced by such things when making disciplinary decisions.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/18540/on-the-johnson-finnegan-fight-fallout

IDEXAN
12-01-2010, 08:56 AM
I'm a big Texans fan and a big AJ fan, but the truth is he should have been suspended for a game. I'm delighted he wasn't as without him we got no chance to win tomorrow night. With him a slim chance, maybe ?

silvrhand
12-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Heck Richard Seymour not getting suspended for hitting a QB and getting ejected had more to do with the decision than did anything else IMHO..

JB
12-01-2010, 09:23 AM
I'm a big Texans fan and a big AJ fan, but the truth is he should have been suspended for a game. I'm delighted he wasn't as without him we got no chance to win tomorrow night. With him a slim chance, maybe ?

Why?

GP
12-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Whoever said (and I think multiple people were saying this) that the ones who are griping about a non-suspension are people who don't play the sport and are essentially non-athletic "talking heads" is right.

The people who are elitist, "higher-thinking" persons (such as Greeny and Kornheiser) tend to have this type of shock at how barbaric and uncivilized it is to NOT suspend a guy for settling a score on the field.

How else would this be dealt with better: To just sit back and TAKE it? Or maybe those two guys should meet in an alley and be allowed to use weapons to settle the ongoing dispute?

Or, and maybe I am just crazy here, maybe handling the business ON THE FIELD was actually the best way to for it to have gone down. Why? Because the dudes were in pads (except for the helmetless head). In addition, they had about a bazillion security personnel on the field. They were able to get the piss and vinegar out of their system, under what I consider to be a very controlled environment. Notice how their fight did NOT escalate into an all-out brawl. It was about to, but it got doused and extinguished fairly quickly.

Everyone out there on the field that afternoon understood what was happening: Two guys yanking off their helmets (Which, once again, was actually a GOOD thing to have happened) and handling their business that had been brewing for years.

Enter the elitist, Oh The Horror! crowd of higher-thinking persons. To them, the holiness of NFL was tainted that day. Someone must pay. You can't allow that sort of thing to go unpunished! A travesty that they were only fined!

Pssstt...hey, over here...I got some news for ya'! The commissioner understands the difference between someone using extreme malice upon a defensless victim (such as the Haynesworth face-stomping incident) and two guys handling their business in a manly manner.

If anything, Roger Goodell and/or the NFL power-that-be earned a gold star from me due to their handling of this ordeal.

People like Kornheiser should be less worried about how the league ruled on this ordeal, and MORE concerned with how the league's officials have not been riding Innegan a lot harder and flagging him every time he touches the opposing player. They should make life so hard on him, and on his team (due to the 15-yard fould the team would accrue) that the TEAM itself tells Innegan that those shenanigans must stop immediately.

I fault the inability of the officials to effectively put an end to the antics of Innegan. This IS an area where the officials need to use bias and use their authority in an extreme manner. Mr. NFL Referee: Make it a point to send a message, please, because I am growing weary of the onslaught of bad commentary on this topic. If you don't want those fights taking place, you better start throwing the flag and getting things sorted out early and often.

Just my take on this. If ever there was a clear cut case of one guy getting what he truly deserved, it is this case of Innegan getting dealt with AND our guy not getting suspended. I think the NFL office has sent a message loud and clear. And i bet we see those personal foul flags flying a lot more when we meet up with the Titans--I have a feeling the refs have been told that THEY are the authority on the field, and that THEY are expected to keep law and order in a better fashion than they have. Just my hunch on it.

IDEXAN
12-01-2010, 10:18 AM
I actually like the PTI team of KornHeiser and Wilbon as they're such a contrast and play off of each other so well, one being the human embodiment of the stereotype of the NY city Jew, intellectiual type who probably never played sports in his life, majored in Eng Lit at some New England college but kinda acts as the liberal conscious of the show whereas Wilbon is the street-smart brother who really, really knows something about sports and has many personal friends who are among the biggest names in pro sports today. Some of my favorite parts of the show are those occasions when Wilbon, who I confess to probably liking and admiring more than any other sports commentator on TV, explains to his pointy-headed liberal partner the facts of life in the real world of sports.
But Wilbon thinks AJ should have been suspended because he recognizes that full-fisted punchs when the helmets are off is an NFL taboo, up to now atleast. It's not that getting hit by a haymaker represents a greater risk of serious injury than helment-to-helment contact, because it dosen't.

GP
12-01-2010, 10:38 AM
...one being the human embodiment of the stereotype of the NY city Jew, intellectiual type who probably never played sports in his life, majored in Eng Lit at some New England college but kinda acts as the liberal conscious of the show...

See, that's my whole point. It has taken THIS ordeal with AJ/Innegan for me to see that in the sports media you're going to have those guys who embody what you just described about Kornheiser.

I can't sit here and say that the guy can NOT commentate on sports because of who he is and what he "isn't." However, this ordeal, and the resulting commentary by people like Greeny and Kornheiser, have made me stop and think about this whole situation.

There are commentators who probably should not be talking when it comes to certain aspects. Not because they ought to be banned or censored, or anything like that, but because their ideology on the matter(s) at hand are simply too contrary to the nature of sports, especially to the sports that involve violent contact. They should hush and let others talk. Just resist the urge to try and act like an authority on a subject in which they clash with in terms of ideology. Leave that stuff to Ditka, Carter, and others who lived that life and understand the culture best. This isn't debate team, which I notice is what a lot of sports media shows have become: One guy has position A and one guy has position B, and they fight with words--The worst example of this is when Salisbury and Clayton would spar under what was laughable circumstances, it was the equivalent of two rival WWF wrestlers cracking up and blowing the interview with one another. This is a brutal sport, and neither of those guys did anything reprehensible to one another. They settled it. Correction: AJ settled it.

Two guys removed their helmets, which is GOOD. Why? So that a helmeted person cannot use his helmet to injure his helmetless opponent. Punches were thrown. That, IMO, is how men handle business. Nobody pulled a knife, a gun, or swung the helmet like a hammer.

If anything, IMO, Andre Johnson did exactly what he should have done. Innegan said "Watch this!" and he reaped the whirlwind for it. Yet Andre Johnson should castrate himself before God and everyone? LOL. He apologized to the only people he should have apologized to: His teammates. because those are the guys who might suffer from any fallout after the fight.

He owes us nothing. We owe him EVERYTHING, because the guy has been the highest form of a gentleman and a hard worker (despite being on a subpar team such as the Texans).

So the clowning on this topic needs to stop, IMO.

ThaShark316
12-01-2010, 10:39 AM
When was the last time a player was suspended for fighting?

Don't worry, I'll wait.

Double Barrel
12-01-2010, 11:40 AM

Crowder's helmet was off, Light's was on!!!! Light landed punches, and was NOT suspended. So spare me the fact that Dre wasn't suspended due to TNF. Hell, half the NFL fans don't have the NFL network. Kornheiser has been a douche since he called out my baby's mama, Hannah Storm...*****.

I agree. Precedent has been established and the league, at this time, does not perceive fighting to be a problem and seems to understand that it's a by-product of men battling it out in a very violent sport.

Both players were ejected and received fines. I'm glad the NFL did not take the pansy route with suspensions, because fighting is not an epidemic in the league. Overreaction is not needed.

Ole Miss Texan
12-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Andre is on Goodell's fantasy football team. :stirpot:

drs23
12-01-2010, 11:53 AM

Me too! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that can't stand that puke. Was SOOO glad to see him outta the MNF booth.

Gruden's getting there....:kitten:

Allstar
12-01-2010, 01:11 PM
It should be noted that our game is airing at the same time with LeBron's return to Cleveland...

ThaShark316
12-01-2010, 01:14 PM
It should be noted that our game is airing at the same time with LeBron's return to Cleveland...

Don't remind me. :pissed:

Corrosion
12-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Not a bad argument.

Accept for the part about AJ being the Texans only draw .... Maybe he doesnt know who the leagues leading rusher is or who leads the league in yards from scrimmage. Or who the only RB to average 100+ yards rushing per game is .....:kitten:

Mailman
12-01-2010, 02:13 PM
When was the last time a player was suspended for fighting?

Don't worry, I'll wait.

Exactly what I was telling everyone at work who told me AJ would definitely be suspended, maybe for multiple games. I scoffed at the idea and they told me I was crazy.

Seems to me that many of the football analysts and internet jackwagons are speaking from a position of ignorance about the NFL's disciplinary policy for on-field behavior. Charean Williams, for example, stated on yesterday's ESPN First Take that this fight "set the precedent," apparently unaware of the multitude of fights and unsportsmanlike conduct fouls that have taken place on NFL fields in past years. For example, Channing Crowder getting his face punched by Matt Light while Light held him by his hair....or Cortland Finnegan punching a helmet-less Chris Kuper in the Tenn-Denver game earlier this season. Or Richard Seymour coldcocking Ben Roethlisberger....

Mailman
12-01-2010, 02:19 PM

Agree wholeheartedly.

Ndevine7
12-01-2010, 02:21 PM
The league is scared andre will fight them if he gets suspended

The1ApplePie
12-01-2010, 02:44 PM
I wouldn't right it off as a kooky theory.

The NFL likes offense because it draws ratings. There is a reason defense gets weakened by rules every year.

The last fight I remember anyone getting suspended for was Kyle Turley years ago. I think that had more to do with him flipping off the stadium though

Mailman
12-01-2010, 03:11 PM
I wouldn't right it off as a kooky theory.

The NFL likes offense because it draws ratings. There is a reason defense gets weakened by rules every year.

The last fight I remember anyone getting suspended for was Kyle Turley years ago. I think that had more to do with him flipping off the stadium though

I am pretty certain Turley was ejected and fined but not suspended. Again, the NFL rarely suspends players for on-field behavior.

Double Barrel
12-01-2010, 06:08 PM
If it was all about ratings, the NFL never would have put the Houston Texans in a showcase game. Nothing in our mediocre history suggests that this is a 'must see' team from a national perspective.

Rey
12-01-2010, 06:19 PM
If it was all about ratings, the NFL never would have put the Houston Texans in a showcase game. Nothing in our mediocre history suggests that this is a 'must see' team from a national perspective.

I dunno....

Texans were supposed to be an up and coming team this year. We had a few pro bowlers...recent D-roy of the year...Had the number one offense...

Mario is popular around the league.

Houston is also a city that supports their team...Attendance numbers have always been high.

Plus since they share revenue it probably benefits everyone if some of the least popular teams get some recognition.

All that said, I think it was totally about the fact that Andre was about to play in a game. The NFL's decisions mainly come down to money IMHO. From suspensions, to fines. JMO....

Double Barrel
12-01-2010, 06:24 PM
I dunno....

Texans were supposed to be an up and coming team this year. We had a few pro bowlers...recent D-roy of the year...Had the number one offense...

Mario is popular around the league.

Houston is also a city that supports their team...Attendance numbers have always been high.

Plus since they share revenue it probably benefits everyone if some of the least popular teams get some recognition.

All that said, I think it was totally about the fact that Andre was about to play in a game. The NFL's decisions mainly come down to money IMHO. From suspensions, to fines. JMO....

I don't disagree with what you're saying...we were supposed to be one of those "up and coming" teams (again)...but, I just don't think that Texans jerseys are being sold anywhere around the country outside of Harris County. We are not a draw to the rest of the country, and at this point, we are "that team" that the Patriots and Bucs were in the '80's.

But, if anything, the league would want Vick to shine, and suspending AJ would have played into that angle by handicapping our offense. I'm just not buying that ratings had anything at all to do with the final decision. Nothing about Goodell suggests it, and with the precedent already set by previous fights, it is logical that it turned out like it did.

CretorFrigg
12-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Does anybody even care about what Kornheiser has to say?

Rey
12-01-2010, 06:50 PM
I don't disagree with what you're saying...we were supposed to be one of those "up and coming" teams (again)...but, I just don't think that Texans jerseys are being sold anywhere around the country outside of Harris County. We are not a draw to the rest of the country, and at this point, we are "that team" that the Patriots and Bucs were in the '80's.

But, if anything, the league would want Vick to shine, and suspending AJ would have played into that angle by handicapping our offense. I'm just not buying that ratings had anything at all to do with the final decision. Nothing about Goodell suggests it, and with the precedent already set by previous fights, it is logical that it turned out like it did.

I would agree with you, but the NFL has shown what they are about.

They fine players, and then they sell pictures of those offenses.

They fine Andre and Finnegan for fighting and then they highlight it on their website and Mic'd up video.

It's a bit hypocritical IMO.

I just can't help but think that if Jacoby Jones or Kevin Walter were the ones doing the fighting they would have been suspended. As a side note, I also think that if Jacoby was the one throwing the punches peoples reactions wouldn't by and large be the same as they have been.

I just think that since it was AJ people have a different perception of what he did.

That's fine and I have no problem with it. AJ has built up a lot of good will. He's shown to be a character guy from most accounts (although I do have a story that I am not 100% sure is true, but I'm pretty sure it is).

But anyways, I do think that the NFL will hesitate suspending big stars that commit the same actions as lesser players....And I think that is because of money...

Speedy
12-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Does anybody even care about what Kornheiser has to say?

Exactly! Was it not apparent on MNF that Kornholer didn't know a thing about football? What does it matter what this douche has to say?

El Tejano
12-02-2010, 08:19 AM
The NFL didn't suspend Johnson because they wanted this to happen. First of all, you don't mic a quiet as can be player like Andre Johnson - you won't get anything good. However, the NFL realized that they gave fines last year when Johnson and Finnegan last played each other. So mic them up so you can get something good. If these two players go at it again, you know you are going to get some good stuff. Just go back and look at the game the very first thing they say is 'Andre Johnson will square off against Cortland Finnegan, we will be sure to watch that match up closely today'.

The NFL knew what they were doing, they got put on national news etc..... No publicity is bad publicity. Bad publicity is still good publicity.

El Tejano
12-02-2010, 08:23 AM
I would agree with you, but the NFL has shown what they are about.

They fine players, and then they sell pictures of those offenses.

They fine Andre and Finnegan for fighting and then they highlight it on their website and Mic'd up video.

It's a bit hypocritical IMO.

But Heaven Forbid if a player does an endzone dance. They will cut away from that and show everyone on the sidelines or something. Because celebrating a TD in the NFL is so immoral, selfish and classless.