PDA

View Full Version : NFL to Issue Ticket Refunds If Lockout Cancels Games

Kaiser Toro
11-30-2010, 04:35 PM
The National Football League said it will issue ticket refunds or future credit for any preseason or regular-season games canceled because of a work stoppage in 2011.

The NFL announced its policy, which applies to all general- admission seats, in an e-mailed statement. Individual teams will determine their own policies for club seats, suites and payments for personal seat licenses.

“We all want football without interruption, but our fans are entitled to know now that they would receive refunds if any games are canceled,” NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in the statement.

The NFL said it announced the refund policy today because teams will be sending information to season-ticket holders “in the coming weeks” about the opportunity to purchase tickets for 2011.

Full refunds will be offered for all preseason and regular- season home games, in the event of a work stoppage.

Those fans with full- and partial-season ticket plans have the option to get refunds or a credit toward future games, the NFL said.

Fans purchasing individual-game tickets can get their money back or exchange the seat for a future game, as determined by the club and subject to availability.

Interest Question

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said it’s up to individual teams whether they would return interest on the money that ticket holders pay in advance.

NFL owners voted unanimously in May 2008 to opt out of their labor contract with the players at the end of this season -- two years early. The players were satisfied with the agreement and wanted to complete the contract.

The 32-team league says NFL stadiums are getting more expensive to build and operate, and has asked the players to reduce the pool of money used to calculate their salaries by $1 billion, according to the players. The NFL Players Association has asked the league to prove it needs the money by opening its books. The NFL has declined the request.

NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said in a Bloomberg Television interview on Nov. 26 that a lockout next season is a “near certainty.”

Negotiations on a labor deal also include the amount of money paid to rookies, extending the 16-game regular season by two games, health coverage and drug-testing requirements, according to the union.

“We are working hard to secure an agreement with the union that is fair and forward-thinking to ensure our game is sound and strong well into the future,” Goodell said. “We know we will reach an agreement at some point.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-11-30/nfl-will-issue-ticket-refunds-in-2011-if-industry-lockout-cancels-games.html

JB
11-30-2010, 06:23 PM
If the Union de-certifies, will this end the ability of the owners to enforce a lock-out?

Lucky
11-30-2010, 06:29 PM
or future credit
Pay now, and maybe you'll actually get the product at some point. That's very gracious of them.

Stemp
11-30-2010, 06:49 PM
If the Union de-certifies, will this end the ability of the owners to enforce a lock-out?

I don't think it would stop it, just allow the players to sue the owners and the league.

cdollaz
11-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Why did they need to announce this? What else are they going to do, keep the money?

JB
11-30-2010, 10:17 PM
Why did they need to announce this? What else are they going to do, keep the money?

Purely a PR move to let the union and players know that the lockout is being readied for.

cdollaz
12-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Purely a PR move to let the union and players know that the lockout is being readied for.

A little psychology.

jaayteetx
12-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Not getting my money next year, for sure.

Kaiser Toro
12-01-2010, 02:37 PM

Definitely a by product of the announcement, but good business to have a policy shaping up for the ~1.25m season ticket holders across the 32 teams. The folks that shell out this jack are probably the type of folks that like to buy with a guarantee when it comes to up front purchases.

mootini
12-02-2010, 12:35 PM
I'm still on the fence to purchase season tickets next season. I've been season ticket owner for Jags since 1996. I just don't trust either NFL or the Players Union. I would not want to buy tickets to watch sub-par players/scrubs or deal with a refund if there is no football next year. I'll wait and see approach. :kitten:

TxDavid
12-04-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm still on the fence to purchase season tickets next season. I've been season ticket owner for Jags since 1996. I just don't trust either NFL or the Players Union. I would not want to buy tickets to watch sub-par players/scrubs or deal with a refund if there is no football next year. I'll wait and see approach. :kitten:

Who knows - maybe well get to watch Shane Falco......

CloakNNNdagger
12-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Who knows - maybe well get to watch Shane Falco......

Now, that would be an upgrade from what we have had to endure this year.:tiphat:

CloakNNNdagger
12-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Even with a "refund," be assured that the owners will still make money on your money, investing it during those months that they are "babysitting" it.............and you will have lost the same opportunity.:thinking: