PDA

View Full Version : Texans lineman Winston calls Titans dirty

Wolf
11-28-2010, 06:29 PM
After the Texans shut out Tennessee and rookie quarterback Rusty Smith today, Texans offensive tackle Eric Winston called the Titans a dirty team and said he wouldn't have cornerback Cortland Finnegan on his team.

Finnegan and receiver Andre Johnson were ejected in the fourth quarter for fighting. Johnson, who had nine catches for 56 yards and a touchdown, became the first player in history with at least 60 catches in each of his first eight seasons.

Afterward, Johnson apologized.

Winston was asked if the Titans are a dirty team.

"Absolutely," he said. "You can't back down from them or it'll set a bad precedent. It's like a bully.

"Everybody has a breaking point. I've known Andre a long time, and he's never instigated anything. I know he didn't instigate this, either.

"I think he (Finnegan) hurts his team sometimes. I'm glad he's not on our team."

In the Texans' three-point victory at Tennessee last season, Winston became so angry at defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch that he took off his helmet on the field, put up his fists and challenged the Titan to a fight.

"They target guys who don't have the ball," Winston said. "They get mad at us because we chop block, but what we do is legal. They've got guys hitting the quarterback late and pushing guys over piles and trying to target offensive linemen and hitting them in the back when they're on the ground.

"That's what they're taught to do. I don't think they even consider it dirty, but I do."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7314816.html

TheMatrix31
11-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Yeah, and Chuck Cecil said this:

Relayed Winston’s feelings on the subject, Titans defensive coordinator Chuck Cecil couldn’t suppress a grin.

“If there ever has been a pot calling a kettle black," he said, "that is it."

...ya, because arguably the softest team in football is equally as dirty as the dirtiest team in football.

c10x
11-28-2010, 06:51 PM
If you think the Texans are the softest team in football, you aren't paying attention.

Our team is ready to fight when the game goes that way.

fiasco west
11-28-2010, 06:54 PM
If you think the Texans are the softest team in football, you aren't paying attention.

Our team is ready to fight when the game goes that way.

IDK about the softest, but it does seem like every time we play hard-nose football teams like the Ravens, Jets, Steelers we get exposed.

BigBull17
11-28-2010, 07:04 PM
We aren't soft, but we aren't the toughest team either. We play hard, and hit hard. We don't quit, like they do.

Mr teX
11-28-2010, 07:14 PM

...ya, because arguably the softest team in football is equally as dirty as the dirtiest team in football.

From what i hear about him as a player, he was a borderline cheap shot artist when he played. Of course he's gonna say that.

BigBull17
11-28-2010, 07:21 PM
We aren't soft, but we aren't the toughest team either. We play hard, and hit hard. We don't quit, like they do.

CloakNNNdagger
11-28-2010, 07:32 PM
From what i hear about him as a player, he was a borderline cheap shot artist when he played. Of course he's gonna say that.

I watched him play when he was with the Packers. He was a very vicious hitter with that strong reputation. But he was never considered a "dirty" player.

That being said, as a coach, does anyone remember the Denver game in October when he did a Bud and flipped the bird to the refs? Bad enough, but since it was picked up on the live TV feed of the game, he was fined a cool $40,000 for his Bud pose.

http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/chuckcecil.jpg

eriadoc
11-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Rodney Harrison essentially called them dirty on SNF pregame just a bit ago. Dungy stopped short of calling them dirty, but said he warned his players whenever they played the Titans about what kind of team they were.

TheMatrix31
11-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Rodney Harrison would know.

eriadoc
11-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Rodney Harrison would know.

He said they "went after" his knee.

BigBull17
11-28-2010, 07:52 PM

ArlingtonTexan
11-28-2010, 07:59 PM
I watched him play when he was with the Packers. He was a very vicious hitter with that strong reputation. But he was never considered a "dirty" player.

That being said, as a coach, does anyone remember the Denver game in October when he did a Bud and flipped the bird to the refs? Bad enough, but since it was picked up on the live TV feed of the game, he was fined a cool $40,000 for his Bud pose.

Chuck was considered an extremely dirty (not cheap like C. Finnegan) and was fined for hits repeatedly when it wasn't in vogue like now. He was one of the earliest players to where that helmet with the extra padding for concussion protection and eventually had to retire because of his "aggressive" style and its long term health implications.

otisbean
11-28-2010, 08:16 PM
I don't think we are soft, but we do have problems with teams that play power football, huge linemen ect..

Our system calls for mobile athletic lineman and that means smaller and quicker. Ideally you could grab some huge mobile lineman but they're pretty tough to find.

houstonspartan
11-28-2010, 08:23 PM
We're soft.

I'm a season ticket holder, and I was at the game today. It's great that once a year we're able to grow a pair against Tennessee, but, facts are facts: When a big-ass, physical football team gets in our face, we get punched in the mouth. Always.

Kimmy
11-28-2010, 08:31 PM
They've been dirty in my mind every since this game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5nlEA8BUTQ). I'm a die hard Cowboy hater, but this was ... well, there are still no words ...

OzzO
11-28-2010, 08:33 PM

Thought I was in the twilight zone seeing the same post over and over, even scrolled up and ten look at post #'s to make sure.

As for the the original post - I can see that.

BullNation4Life
11-28-2010, 09:08 PM

Chuck Cecil was one of THE Dirtiest players in the NFL when he played. He use to spear WR and RBs constantly when he played for Green Bay...

Not surprised at all he has passed his dirty antics down to his players....

BullNation4Life
11-28-2010, 09:10 PM

The hell he wasn't considered a "dirty" player. He had a reputation of spearing players and leaving his feet, leading with his helmet and collecting fines for it...

They nicknamed him "SCUD" like the SCUD missile cause he would come in leading with his helmet and spear WRs...