PDA

View Full Version : Play calling in the second half when down by 14+

Big Lou
11-24-2010, 06:40 PM
This has been said before, and by me about 10 times now in different threads, but I wanted everyone elses opinion.

Doesn't it seem like that once the Texans are down by a certain number of points, or they are down with very little time left the Offense seems to flick a switch. Its happened too many times to be coincidence. The Offense becomes so much more vertical all of a sudden, like it was in 2009.

I think Kubiak takes over play calling once a certain threshold is reached. I'm sure he wants the Dennison to call the plays so he can concentrate on "managing" the game, but it just seems that he needs to be calling the plays full time, this could make up for the Defense until they somehow get better. Obviousley he has final say, but who knows how much he interferes initially.

If Kubiak is calling the plays when the Offense is sputtering then he needs to be fired yesterday.

What do you guys think, is he letting Dennison call the shots at the begining of games and then taking over?

I live in Vegas so I don't get to get a any local coverage that might discuss these things.

JB
11-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Certainly seems that way. It's like two different teams playing each half.

But the defense sucks the entire game and triple in the last two minutes.

dtran04
11-24-2010, 06:53 PM
People won't like the answer but it's because they start focusing on the pass. When it doesn't work, people scream that they should run Arian more. When it works, they wonder why the team didn't come out with the same urgency in the 1st half throwing the ball. It's a never ending circle.

DexmanC
11-24-2010, 07:29 PM
People won't like the answer but it's because they start focusing on the pass. When it doesn't work, people scream that they should run Arian more. When it works, they wonder why the team didn't come out with the same urgency in the 1st half throwing the ball. It's a never ending circle.

I think the pass schemes are also different in the first half, as well.
By watching "AFC Playbook" all last season, one thing we know about
Kubiak is that the man can scheme ANYBODY to become wide open.
Dennison is not so adept at the pass game. If you watched the
Broncos while he was there, Brandon Marshall WAS the pass game.
Dude was a monster at taking 5-yard outs and getting 30-50 yards off
them.

wagonhed
11-24-2010, 07:55 PM
I've always been of the opinion, this year and especially last, that we should pass more. Passing offense is what wins games. It's been thoroughly demonstrated by all the statistical analysis football sites.

Dutchrudder
11-24-2010, 08:12 PM
I've always been of the opinion, this year and especially last, that we should pass more. Passing offense is what wins games. It's been thoroughly demonstrated by all the statistical analysis football sites.

Yeah until you're up by 3 scores. Of course, we don't know what that's like... :(

infantrycak
11-24-2010, 08:47 PM
It's like two different teams playing each half.

Just food for thought. A lot of folks say this around here but when you can say it about the Texans you can say it about the other team as well. You think the Jets felt like they had a good second half?

JB
11-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Just food for thought. A lot of folks say this around here but when you can say it about the Texans you can say it about the other team as well. You think the Jets felt like they had a good second half?

Was their offense drastically different in the second half? Other that starting the half with a pretty large lead?

Rey
11-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Maybe it's because teams ease up a little bit on the defensive side. The edge is taken off.

I'm pretty sure that the more aggressive pass plays have something to do with it, but I think it has a lot more to do with one team feeling pressure, and one team letting down their guard.

Those comebacks normally happen against teams we don't play a whole lot. When Indy goes up big on us, they normally stay up and still win the game. Same for the Jags and the Titans.

The reason that I think it has more to do with guys just feeling pressure and with the scheme is because the defense normally plays better as well. I think it's just a mental thing for the whol team. No way we get a chance to make that almost comeback against the Jets if the defense doesn't make some plays as well.

Yankee_In_TX
11-24-2010, 10:50 PM
What Schaub said last week was that initially they're worried about what the Defense is doing and play call based on defensive looks. When they're down and time is running out, they do what they think they can do well and don't care about what the defense is showing.

Hrrrmmmm, pattern?

Big Lou
11-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Maybe it's because teams ease up a little bit on the defensive side. The edge is taken off.

I'm pretty sure that the more aggressive pass plays have something to do with it, but I think it has a lot more to do with one team feeling pressure, and one team letting down their guard.

Those comebacks normally happen against teams we don't play a whole lot. When Indy goes up big on us, they normally stay up and still win the game. Same for the Jags and the Titans.

The reason that I think it has more to do with guys just feeling pressure and with the scheme is because the defense normally plays better as well. I think it's just a mental thing for the whol team. No way we get a chance to make that almost comeback against the Jets if the defense doesn't make some plays as well.

What you say is what occurred to me as I was writing this post, but ussually when a team especially like the Jets are up by 2-3 scores they pin thier ears back and come at you, but it seams like most of the time they can't stop the Texans O once they decide to show up. It's just strange.....

Big Lou
11-24-2010, 10:56 PM
What Schaub said last week was that initially they're worried about what the Defense is doing and play call based on defensive looks. When they're down and time is running out, they do what they think they can do well and don't care about what the defense is showing.

Hrrrmmmm, pattern?

It was stated a long time ago the first couple of drives are scripted to see what the D does, and the rest of the game is based on this. Just seems to me you shouldn't have to script to see what a D is doing. They have lots of assistants that look at photos and film almost instantly.

Rey
11-24-2010, 11:20 PM

Hrrrmmmm, pattern?

That seems like an odd statement.

The ZBS usually is good against what ever defense is called. Normally whatever the defense does, the scheme itself can take care of it.

In fact I've heard Kubiak himself say that they feel like whatever play they have called can work against pretty much any defense so they don't feel the need to make a bunch of audibles.

But anyways, to your point, that is kind of dumb to call plays based on what the defense is doing rather than making the defense adjust to what you are doing. Just run your offense...do what you do best...Set your play makers up for success...

I'm going to just mentally block out your post because I really don't want to believe that the Texans don't understand this...

Rey
11-24-2010, 11:26 PM
What you say is what occurred to me as I was writing this post, but ussually when a team especially like the Jets are up by 2-3 scores they pin thier ears back and come at you, but it seams like most of the time they can't stop the Texans O once they decide to show up. It's just strange.....

That is true, but if you look at the Jets they don't have that main sack guy. They are a team that gets after the QB through scheme and many players contributing.

If you look at Indy, they have two guys who are elite pass rushers...

So even if the D coordinator calls some looser coverage and if the DB's have some of the edge taken those ends still will be coming.

I think the difference between some teams pinning their ears back is talent level.

Some teams are built to be front runners...some are not....

But...I do think your point is valid...The play calling obviously changes, but I think more than anything the players definitely step it up a bit when their backs are against the wall...

wagonhed
11-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Notice how the Patriots continue to score 40+ points on a regular basis. Is their offense more "high-powered" than ours, or do we just have poor offensive strategy and play-calling? I pick the latter. Our personnel could put up similar numbers if we had a bloodthirsty OC/HC.

Wolf
11-25-2010, 06:43 PM
the Denny's menu got smaller, it just showed the specials and Kubiak rolled with it

Big Lou
11-25-2010, 11:37 PM
the Denny's menu got smaller, it just showed the specials and Kubiak rolled with it

There's a lot more Rooti Tooti Fresh and Foster!!!