PDA

View Full Version : Team Jeff Fisher

stingray
11-23-2010, 07:30 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/7307373.html

dalemurphy
11-23-2010, 07:31 AM
All of a sudden, this looks like a possibility. Fisher could move back to Houston and coach for a unintrusive owner, have a solid guy as his franchise QB, significant talent and have an opportunity to beat up on Bud Adams' team every year.

I'm not a huge Fisher guy, though I think he is a good coach. Also, he would likely bring with him the attitude change, particularly on defense, that is needed.

TimeKiller
11-23-2010, 07:43 AM
Yeah. I'm for that. I think he's a teacher of dirty tactics but at this point....I would just like to see some blood. If he could just let the offense coast on the backs of Schaub, AJ and Foster...mix in a player here and there....and bring his system on D I think he could turn them into something that worked.

Psssh want instant credibility with your team?

HI EVERYBODY!! I'm the guy who coached the team that regularly kicked the shit out of you.

El Tejano
11-23-2010, 07:48 AM
All of a sudden, this looks like a possibility. Fisher could move back to Houston and coach for a unintrusive owner, have a solid guy as his franchise QB, significant talent and have an opportunity to beat up on Bud Adams' team every year.

I'm not a huge Fisher guy, though I think he is a good coach. Also, he would likely bring with him the attitude change, particularly on defense, that is needed.

And he will make sure Mario is the best DE in football.

Thorn
11-23-2010, 07:54 AM
It's not going to happen, but I can tell you I would LOVE to have Fisher. Fisher and Cower are probably my to favs for a Kubiak replacement.

El Tejano
11-23-2010, 07:56 AM
He will also make sure that Arian Foster is the leagues leading rusher.

HTown2ATX
11-23-2010, 08:00 AM
I would be on board with this more than any other coach.

He knows this city, knows what we want and would love to shove it right back up Bud's ass.

If he is gone from the tits after this year and kubes is too...this would be my personal #1 choice.

Heath Shuler
11-23-2010, 08:15 AM
Fisher would be right behind Cowher on my short list.

Kaiser Toro
11-23-2010, 08:19 AM
I'm with the stache, always thought the dude behind it was a pretty good coach.

gtexan02
11-23-2010, 08:20 AM
I thought Justice wanted VY here. Odd that he went this direction with the column

Jackie Chiles
11-23-2010, 08:22 AM
He could bring over Jim Washburn and Bruce Matthews could stick on the staff and work with Mike Munchak. Would be interesting to see what Fisher could do without any interference and perhaps a bigger budget. He would be an instant upgrade.

Buffi2
11-23-2010, 08:23 AM
I can't believe I actually agree with Justice. This has got to be a first.

I would love to have Fisher here. What a difference it would make in our D and certainly not hurt the offense.

Jackie Chiles
11-23-2010, 08:24 AM
I thought Justice wanted VY here. Odd that he went this direction with the column

Maybe hes trying some reverse psychology since he knows Bud lives here and (probably) reads the paper. If that's the case, STFU Justice, you might just convince him!

IDEXAN
11-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Prediction - Jeff Fisher, a southern Cal native, will be the next coach of the SD Chargies after the current HC is fired at the end of this year for failing to advance in the playoffs, if the Chargers even make the playoffs this year ?

Kaiser Toro
11-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Prediction - Jeff Fisher, a southern Cal native, will be the next coach of the SD Chargies after the current HC is fired at the end of this year for failing to advance in the playoffs, if the Chargers even make the playoffs this year ?

Makes perfect sense for him to leave a messed up situation to go work for a megalomaniac like AJ Smith.

The Texans make more sense if his departure comes to pass IMO.

FirstTexansFan
11-23-2010, 09:15 AM
I'd agree with a previous poster, he's second on my list behind Cowher. Though I must say it's intriguing to me because I believe he understands the AFC South situation and what it takes to win this division better than anyone else out there that's been mentioned.

Hervoyel
11-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Jeff Fisher could win 11-12 games with this team. He'd be running Arian Foster and our defense flying to the football. Leader.

nero THE zero
11-23-2010, 10:06 AM
I've been on this team since last year.

I'm not holding my breath, though.

IDEXAN
11-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Makes perfect sense for him to leave a messed up situation to go work for a megalomaniac like AJ Smith.

The Texans make more sense if his departure comes to pass IMO.
I think the Spanos family would be willing to dump Smith for the chance to get Fisher, whom they might make thier HC/GM. So would McNair if he was
smart if given the chance.

Porky
11-23-2010, 11:02 AM

Ditto. Those two would be 1A and 1B. I would kill to get either one in here.

spurstexanstros
11-23-2010, 02:40 PM
He will also make sure that Arian Foster is the leagues leading rusher.

isnt he already?

anyway Fisher is coaching sob though. love him but hate where he is at.

GP
11-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Ditto. Those two would be 1A and 1B. I would kill to get either one in here.

Same here, with Gruden in 3rd.

We need the Titans and their no-name QB to absolutely torch the Texans on Sunday. That would be, at the very least, the nail in the coffin of Frank Bush.

In addition, we need Kubiak to finish with a record of about 7-9 (and have MORE embarassing losses when we should've won the games). If that happens, I think Kubiak is gone.

And that's the only way we'd have a shot at Cowher. Gruden would be more logical, as a second candidate, because we don't know if Fisher will bail from the Titans.

A guy like Cowher has got to be looking at our offense and thinking "All they need is a defense. And some better leadership. And better weekday preparation. And better weekday strategy for the next opponent. And better accountability. And better gameday playcalling. I can do this."

A guy like Cowher, IMO, has got to be licking his chops if he sees the deep water Kubiak is in right now. Because the pool isn't deep, it's just that Kubiak won't stand up.

ThaShark316
11-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Same here, with Gruden in 3rd.

We need the Titans and their no-name QB to absolutely torch the Texans on Sunday. That would be, at the very least, the nail in the coffin of Frank Bush.

In addition, we need Kubiak to finish with a record of about 7-9 (and have MORE embarassing losses when we should've won the games). If that happens, I think Kubiak is gone.

And that's the only way we'd have a shot at Cowher. Gruden would be more logical, as a second candidate, because we don't know if Fisher will bail from the Titans.

A guy like Cowher has got to be looking at our offense and thinking "All they need is a defense. And some better leadership. And better weekday preparation. And better weekday strategy for the next opponent. And better accountability. And better gameday playcalling. I can do this."

A guy like Cowher, IMO, has got to be licking his chops if he sees the deep water Kubiak is in right now. Because the pool isn't deep, it's just that Kubiak won't stand up.

:smiliepalm:

El Tejano
11-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Appearantly Titans said Vince can't be at the facility so I guess we know who is staying and who is going.

mridge01
11-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Can't think of a better way to kill two birds with one stone. Giving Bud the finger while hiring a quality head coach. Also two reasons why McNair will not follow through with it.

IlliniJen
11-23-2010, 03:01 PM
fisher would be right behind cowher on my short list.

+ 1

Kaiser Toro
11-23-2010, 03:03 PM
+ 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWaxrjhnJfQ :kitten:

GP
11-23-2010, 03:12 PM
:smiliepalm:

How cute, someone who has nothing to add...so he posts a smiley.

Hi Mr. Snarky Troll, nice to meet you! Let me feed you. Want more food? Reply and say something that I must then feel obligated to get my bag of troll treats out and feed you some more.

TRUTH: Kubiak is a goner. Done deal. I would just like to end THIS season, and not a year or two down the road. The NFL season is 16 games, and we then wait about 9 months before getting to see it again. Do you want Kubiak around for another year or two? You wanna' go 18 months worth of off-season just to wonder how in the world Kubiak still is the coach of this team?

I'll take being labeled a "bad fan" vs. suffering through two more years of Kubiak & Co. All day, every day. 365/24/7.

houstonspartan
11-23-2010, 03:19 PM
How cute, someone who has nothing to add...so he posts a smiley.

Hi Mr. Snarky Troll, nice to meet you! Let me feed you. Want more food? Reply and say something that I must then feel obligated to get my bag of troll treats out and feed you some more.

TRUTH: Kubiak is a goner. Done deal. I would just like to end THIS season, and not a year or two down the road. The NFL season is 16 games, and we then wait about 9 months before getting to see it again. Do you want Kubiak around for another year or two? You wanna' go 18 months worth of off-season just to wonder how in the world Kubiak still is the coach of this team?

I'll take being labeled a "bad fan" vs. suffering through two more years of Kubiak & Co. All day, every day. 365/24/7.

Amen, bro. I was furious after Kubiak got his extension, and I was called disloyal by a friend of mine, and that I should just move on. I did.

A few days ago, I a sad text from him about how the season is ruined and Kubiak is toast, etc.

I still have emails in my mailbox on this message board from a certain poster from back in the Spring who said I was being harsh for predicting 7-9 this year.

What's really frustrating is that this puts us a year behind. This should have been the "re-tool" season with another coaching staff. Instead, we are back where we were 12 months ago.

Kaiser Toro
11-23-2010, 03:23 PM

If we have a lock out next year there will be 366 days in 2012.

utahmark
11-23-2010, 03:28 PM

I would rather have the the coach who has'nt been out of the league the last few years. Fisher would be #1 on my list.

Wolf6151
11-23-2010, 03:35 PM
I'd love to have Fisher but he isn't leaving Tennessee unless he quits.

Marcus
11-23-2010, 04:00 PM
I'd like to pose a couple of questions to those who'd like to see Fisher become the next head coach.

He has been the HC of the Oilers/Titans for 17 years and he has only 1 AFC Championship and has never won the Super Bowl.

17 years. Am I supposed to be impressed by that?

I mean, what exactly is the deal with the different standards? Does he get a pass on this 17-year thing because he has to work for Bud Adams? Does he get a pass because he's been forced to play VY?

I mean, think about this another way. If Kubiak coached the Texans for 17 years, and had only an AFC Championship to show for it, would you be happy with him?

Or would you be screaming for his head on a plate, like most of the fans in Possum Hollar are?

Just asking.

Kaiser Toro
11-23-2010, 04:08 PM
I'd like to pose a couple of questions to those who'd like to see Fisher become the next head coach.

He has been the HC of the Oilers/Titans for 17 years and he has only 1 AFC Championship and has never won the Super Bowl.

I mean, what exactly is the deal with the different standards? Does he get a pass on this 17-year thing because he has to work for Bud Adams? Does he get a pass because he's been forced to play VY?

I mean, think about this another way. If Kubiak coached the Texans for 17 years, and had only an AFC Championship to show for it, would you be happy with him?

Or would you be screaming for his head on a plate, like most of the fans in Possum Hollar are?

Just asking.

This is from last year, but still stands for me

Fisher in his 15 years has dealt with a change of city a couple of times, a crazy owner, the changing of divisions, dealing with Manning, the Patriots and the Steelers, the loss of McNair, the drafting of VY and who knows what else.

I'll take Fisher and his average record tomorrow, the guy has historicals that dictate he can overcome adversity.

dalemurphy
11-23-2010, 04:17 PM

Just asking.

More than championships, I'm interested in a coach that consistently gets the maximum results from his team. Now, I can look at the first 6 games of last season as well as a few other stretches over his career to debate the point, but Fisher seems to milk much more production ( in terms of victories ) from his talent than anyone we've had.

Porky
11-23-2010, 04:20 PM

Just asking.

Let's check his W/L record and the performances of those defenses over that 17 years vs. Boobiak and draw your own conclusions.

Marcus
11-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Let's check his W/L record and the performances of those defenses over that 17 years vs. Boobiak and draw your own conclusions.

Okay, What were his W/L records and defense performances the last 17 years?

I THOUGHT THIS WAS ALL ABOUT GOING TO THE PLAYOFFS??

I guess not.

Dutchrudder
11-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Can we trade Kubiak for Fisher? Throw in a 4th or something too...

Marcus
11-23-2010, 05:49 PM
I dunno . . . sure sounds like some of you are . . . (ahem)

. . . making excuses.

Kaiser Toro
11-23-2010, 05:57 PM
I dunno . . . sure sounds like some of you are . . . (ahem)

. . . making excuses.

He had his team in the Super Bowl after his 5th full year at the helm. I make no excuse in wishing this team had that fortune.

gary
11-23-2010, 06:14 PM
I think by the time this season is over it will just be a matter of who is out there looking for an HC job.

Lucky
11-23-2010, 06:18 PM
On my list there's Cowher.....and everybody else.
Appearantly Titans said Vince can't be at the facility so I guess we know who is staying and who is going.VY is a goner. Adams won't ditch the one man who has brought him respectability.
Does he get a pass on this 17-year thing because he has to work for Bud Adams?
Yeah, I think if you work for the most despicable man in football, you should catch a break.

When Fisher was the Houston Oilers coach, I wanted him fired every year. He wasn't ready to be a head coach and his gameday decisions were horrendous. As the team moved Bugtussle, Fisher improved. Despite not having the budget for top assistants or decent free agents. Since finding a permanent home in Nashville, Fisher has taken the team to 6 playoffs in 12 seasons. Not hall of fame. But not bad. Better than what we've had here, that's for sure.

Still, I don't want our owner to settle and take his eyes off the prize. That's Bill Cowher. Bob McNair should pursue The Chin with the same passion he had when he obtained this franchise. Fisher would be a consolation prize. Let Jerry Jones hire him. I want Cowher.

Double Barrel
11-23-2010, 06:29 PM
On my list there's Cowher.....and everybody else.

For me, too...unless Bill Parcells gets back into coaching, and then I'll have two favorites and everybody else. :winky:

Marcus stole a little of my thunder with some good points. While I tend to lean toward digging the idea of Fisher as a Texans HC, there still remains the little fact that he's had 6 winning seasons out of 16+ seasons. He didn't even have a winning season in his first five.

yeah, I get that he's had to work with a slug owner and moving the team and all that jazz, but what about since the Super Bowl? 5 winning seasons out of 11.

I don't know...I'm not going to argue about it....but I have to admit to mixed feelings with regards to Fisher at this point in time. I do think he's an upgrade over our current regime, but then I think a piece of bread with butter on it would be an upgrade, too. Lowered standards tends to make everything else seem better.

michaelm
11-23-2010, 07:02 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/7307373.html

I wouldn't mind Fisher as HC one bit, but that article is more pie-in-the-sky than Mr. Preposterous Trade Suggestor.

disaacks3
11-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Still, I don't want our owner to settle and take his eyes off the prize. That's Bill Cowher. Bob McNair should pursue The Chin with the same passion he had when he obtained this franchise. Fisher would be a consolation prize. Let Jerry Jones hire him. I want Cowher. This whole thing reminded me of this...

Maverick: We're losing Viper.
Let's just stay on Jester.

Maverick- Goose, find Viper. He's out there.
Goose - Stay with Hollywood.

Maverick - There's Viper. Three o'clock low.
Goose - We're Hollywood's cover.

Hollywood - Don't you leave me.
Maverick- Hollywood, you're looking good.
I'm going after Viper.

Hollywood- Goddamn you!
Goose - Don't leave him.

Maverick - Hollywood's okay. I want Viper.

Youtube Clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4UJI2W5RQ4)

Marcus
11-23-2010, 07:17 PM
VY is a goner. Adams won't ditch the one man who has brought him respectability.

Nope. I think Fish is a goner.

VY was Adams' pick, not Fisher's. If he ditches VY, and keeps Fisher, then he would have to admit he made a mistake, not only to the Tennessee folks, but to the folks in Houston whose noses he rubbed in it by taking the hometown boy.

He would to have to swallow a whole lot of pride if lets VY go, and I just don't see him doing that.

FirstTexansFan
11-23-2010, 07:23 PM
Nope. I think Fish is a goner.

VY was Adams' pick, not Fisher's. If he ditches VY, and keeps Fisher, then he would have to admit he made a mistake, not only to the Tennessee folks, but to the folks in Houston whose noses he rubbed in it by taking the hometown boy.

He would to have to swallow a whole lot of pride if lets VY go, and I just don't see him doing that.

Spoken like a man who has lived through Bud's antics... I count your scars, and trump them with my own... dead on accurate... Bud doesn't admit when he's wrong, and won't stand for anyone to have the spotlight other than himself :)

Texan_Bill
11-23-2010, 07:27 PM
Re: Team Jeff Fisher

AKA Team Mullet

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2008/11/06/titans2x.jpg

Hardcore Texan
11-23-2010, 07:45 PM
AKA Team Mullet

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2008/11/06/titans2x.jpg

Business up front and party in the back!

utahmark
11-23-2010, 08:00 PM

Just asking.

winning a super bowl involves a lot of luck as well as everything else. give me a coach that consistantly fields good teams and a superbowl is a possibility. thats all you can really expect from any coach, there are 32 other teams in the league. all you have to do is win 1 every 32 years to be average.

Texan_Bill
11-23-2010, 08:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWaxrjhnJfQ :kitten:

:facepalm: Kaiser!!

Texan_Bill
11-23-2010, 08:08 PM
Business up front and party in the back!

I was all about that through the college years.... the many, many, *sigh* many college years. :facepalm:

Koolaid Time
11-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Yeah, I think if you work for the most despicable man in football, you should catch a break.

In my Book, if you worked for the psychopath, meglomaniac Bud Adams for 17 years, what does that make you?

Any sane, stable Coach would have left at the first opportunity.

I think Fisher has a masochistic streak in him.

SheTexan
11-23-2010, 08:54 PM
:includeme: except, NO THANKS!!!!

Texan_Bill
11-23-2010, 08:55 PM
:includeme: except, NO THANKS!!!!

Right on!! Love ya Gma!!

drs23
11-23-2010, 09:48 PM
I'd love to have Fisher but he isn't leaving Tennessee unless he quits.

I think we'll see how his grapes hang here. Fish has made his stand I think. Fud says "work it out". We know Fud is a sniffer and the ball is in his court. If Fish's grapes hang where I think they do, he'll walk from a 17yr tenure knowing his phone will be ringing off the hook. He's in a win/win and knows it. Fish is definitely not taking a whiff.

Who blinks first?

drewmar74
11-23-2010, 09:51 PM
I think we'll see how his grapes hang here. Fish has made his stand I think. Fud says "work it out". We know Fud is a sniffer and the ball is in his court. If Fish's grapes hang where I think they do, he'll walk from a 17yr tenure knowing his phone will be ringing off the hook. He's in a win/win and knows it. Fish is definitely not taking a whiff.

Who blinks first?

Hell, maybe neither of them blink and Fish takes a hike. Pud gets someone in there who shares his man love with VY and Fish gets a fresh start.

Might work out good for them both to "be on a break."

mexican_texan
11-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Fisher is the only guy in the Titans organization I respect and admire. If he left, I'd be free to unleash more ill will towards the Titans, at the very least.

Texan_Bill
11-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Fisher is the only guy in the Titans organization I respect and admire. If he left, I'd be free to unleash more ill will towards the Titans, at the very least.

Respect... Yes! Admire... NO!

Thorn
11-23-2010, 10:06 PM
After perusing a Titans board, a lot of Titan fans do not like Fisher any more than a lot us donít like Kubiak. Not making a judgment here, just saying. One of their complaints sounds pretty familiar; they call him a 500 coach. Which, of course, is a few games better than Kubiak right now. LOL

m5kwatts
11-24-2010, 01:02 AM
Bud knows what he has in Fisher. I think all this "Fisher on the hot seat" stuff is BS cooked up by the Nashville media.

Pantherstang84
11-27-2010, 08:58 AM
I hate to burst the Team Fisher bubble but this morning's column by Solomon is a pretty nasty indictment...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/7312873.html

Lucky
11-27-2010, 09:12 AM
From Solomon's Chronic article linked above:

But Jeff Fisher?
He is as average a coach as the Texans' Gary Kubiak has been.
Please, don't insult my intelligence, Jerome.

Jeff Fisher (6-2) versus Gary Kubiak.

Maybe Jeff Fisher wasn't any better than Gary Kubiak was over the his first 5 years as a head coach. He's a hell of a lot better head coach than Gary Kubiak is, now. What a joke (and no, Fisher is not at the top of my coaching wish list).

Porky
11-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Nice piece of propaganda in todays chronic. Why do I get the sense that the Chronicle's writing staff is also being paid by Bob McNair? Any other city, and this regime and this owner would be roasted over the coals, but here it's all sunshine and daisy's and those clouds that you do see now and then in the sky, well they just fertilize the daisy's.

Let's get down to brass tacks Jerome. Why didn't you mention the defenses of both teams over their tenures? Let's put Kubes D's up against Jeff's D's and see how they are both the same right? Ya, I didn't think so moron.

Pollardized
11-27-2010, 10:22 AM
I hate to burst the Team Fisher bubble but this morning's column by Solomon is a pretty nasty indictment...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/7312873.html

Actually, solomon's article, if anything, would be more of a reason Fisher is a good candidate here. You see, jerome solomon is what most people call a dumbass. A complete dumbass. To use my new favorite word - he's a jackwagon.

Revolution
11-27-2010, 11:11 AM
You see, jerome solomon is what most people call a dumbass. A complete dumbass. To use my new favorite word - he's a jackwagon.

REP!! My thoughts exactly!

Pantherstang84
11-27-2010, 11:23 AM
14 seasons as head coach and 0 championships tells me all I need to know. Despite poster's hatred toward him, Solomon is right. Jeff Fisher is an average coach. A defense oriented version of Gary Kubiak.

Dutchrudder
11-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Four seasons with Vince Young and no championships is all I need to know.

Marcus
11-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Pretty stinging indictment indeed.

Solomon made a couple of points that I absolutely agree with. His comment about "coach envy" being a sad affliction . . . that was spot on.

But this one should be etched in everyone's mind as if it were chiseled in granite . . .

If, as it used to be, championship contention was necessary to make money in the NFL, Bud Adams would have run Fisher off years ago.

Pollardized
11-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Pretty stinging indictment indeed.

Solomon made a couple of points that I absolutely agree with. His comment about "coach envy" being a sad affliction . . . that was spot on.

But this one should be etched in everyone's mind as if it were chiseled in granite . . .

Not arguing that Fisher is a slightly above average coach. But the fact is Solomon is a 100% complete above average moron.

Mr. White
11-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Fisher > Kubiak

Every day and twice on Sunday. Anyone who thinks any different is a Kubiak relative.

False Start
11-27-2010, 06:08 PM
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8887/fisher2011.jpg

Pantherstang84
11-27-2010, 07:15 PM
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8887/fisher2011.jpg

Well there ya go Fisher fans. Your signature block has arrived. I'll pass thank you very much.

ThaShark316
11-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Lassie even thinks solomon is a *****.

midway
11-27-2010, 10:18 PM
Four seasons with Vince Young and no championships is all I need to know.

You demand that all coaches with sub-par quarterbacks win a super-bowl in 4 years?

JB
11-27-2010, 10:21 PM
You demand that all coaches with sub-par quarterbacks win a super-bowl in 4 years?

:facepalm:

Should he have included the sarcasm smilie for you?

burro
11-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Fisher's Teams: 5 playoff appearances, 1 Super Bowl appearance
Texans: 0 and 0

Can anyone say with a straight face that Fisher is on par with n00biak? I would hope not.

JB
11-28-2010, 11:11 AM

Can anyone say with a straight face that Fisher is on par with n00biak? I would hope not.

Unless you are willing to give Kubiak another 11+ years, I don't think they are comparable.

texan279
11-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Unless you are willing to give Kubiak another 11+ years, I don't think they are comparable.

+1.........This is Fisher's 17th season as head coach of the tacks......and it took Fisher six seasons to break the .500 mark with the tacks, Kubiak broke the .500 mark in his fourth season as the Texans' head coach. But none of it matters really because you cannot compare Fisher and Kubiak unless you give Kubiak another 12 seasons as the Texans' head coach.

Pantherstang84
11-28-2010, 11:57 AM

Yeah. I'm saying it with a straight face. Coach envy is a dangerous thing. It led to ABCC (Anybody But Capers/Casserly) and look where the Texans are 5 years later.

mexican_texan
11-28-2010, 06:43 PM
It led to ABCC (Anybody But Capers/Casserly) and look where the Texans are 5 years later.

They're a lot better than they were with Capers/Casserly.

eriadoc
11-28-2010, 06:49 PM
I've argued against Fisher in the past based on performance issues, but I've always sort of wavered on him. I'm not sure how much of his track record is affected by Dud. Then again, Fisher's the one who kept hanging around.

However, I am reminded today that a couple years ago I told my wife I did not want Fisher for a coach. He has fostered an environment of dirty players. Edge and attitude is one thing, dirty is quite another. I don't want the NFL version of Jerry Sloan (in terms of dirty play, certainly not success).

texan279
11-28-2010, 06:57 PM
I've argued against Fisher in the past based on performance issues, but I've always sort of wavered on him. I'm not sure how much of his track record is affected by Dud. Then again, Fisher's the one who kept hanging around.

However, I am reminded today that a couple years ago I told my wife I did not want Fisher for a coach. He has fostered an environment of dirty players. Edge and attitude is one thing, dirty is quite another. I don't want the NFL version of Jerry Sloan (in terms of dirty play, certainly not success).

Agreed. I mean we shut the tacks out today. Can all of these people calling for Kubiak's head wanting Fisher as our next head coach still sit here and say they would prefer Fisher over Kubes after watching today's game and listening to what has been going on in tackland for the last few weeks?

Lucky
11-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Can all of these people calling for Kubiak's head wanting Fisher as our next head coach still sit here and say they would prefer Fisher over Kubes after watching today's game...
It's easy to second guess opinions after a big win like this. For perspective, Kubiak is now 3-6 versus Fisher coached teams. Fisher has never been my favorite candidate to become the Texans next head coach. And this game made me question his coaching decisions more. Like, did Rusty Smith really give his team a better chance to win, rather than Chris Simms? And do you encourage the type of antagonistic play that Finnegan displayed?

Having said that, Fisher has proven that he is a superior coach to Kubiak. So yeah, if there were only two possibilities to coach my NFL team, I would have to go with Jeff Fisher over Gary Kubiak.

painekiller
11-29-2010, 03:52 AM
Prior to today, I had Fisher at the top of my list. Not anymore. He is coaching a bunch of punks and most of them have quit on the season. Not a good combo.

So I have Cowher back at the top.

DX-TEX
12-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Watching First Take this morning I got this odd feeling Kubiak will be fired but Cowher or Gruden are not coming here. Kubiaks entire staff is under contract through 2012. I see McNair wanting to bring someone in who will retain the offensive staff, a move I agree with. the defense is the problem not the offense.

Cowher/Gruden would want to implement their own system. My new darkhorse candidate is Jeff Fisher. Fisher doesnt have to be fired he has an opt-out clause in his contract where he can just walk away at any time. The fact that Adams keeps stuffing VY down his throat is obviously wearing on him. Adams main reason for doing this is because he has some sick idea that he is sticking it to the fans in Houston.

Now Fisher can return the favor. Take over the Texans, retain the 5th best offense in the league and rebuild the defense with his own staff as he sees fit. he also would get the chance to stick it to Adams and VY twice a year.

Win-win.

Just my my opinion of course.:fieldgoal

OzzO
12-28-2010, 12:42 PM
You were looking for this thread (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77929&highlight=fisher)

Lucky
12-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Administrative bump.

TexansFanatic
12-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Noooooooooooooooo!!!!

JB
12-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Administrative bump.

Why?

gary
12-28-2010, 12:46 PM
How about a merge?

Lucky
12-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Why?
Because.
How about a merge?
You guys aren't very patient.

JB
12-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Because.

Sorry, I didn't see the other thread before I posted.

GP
12-28-2010, 12:54 PM
I think Jeff Fisher has seen the NFL pass him by.

Too long in one spot, IMO.

When you fly a plane that doesn't have advanced dashboard controls, and you're surrounded by 100% fog/cloud cover, you get vertigo: You don't which way is up and which way is down, due to the eyes not being able to give the brain a fram of reference in regards to direction.

I think Fisher has Head Coach Vertigo. He has been in that place for so long, he has lost touch with what it takes to fully manage and lead a team each week. He was fortunate to have Chris Johnson come along at juuuust the right time, because Chris Johnson alone has kept that team semi-stable and capable of staying in games each week. Without Chris Johnson, that team is a wreck.

I don't want Jeff Fisher. And I don't care if COwher puts in his own brand of offense. Matt Schaub is immobile, and reminds me a lot of Big Ben in Pittsburgh: A guy who can shift around in the pocket, but who isn't going to beat you with his scrambling. Granted, I think Big Ben throws the deep ball more accurately than Schaub...but still, I think Schaub and Foster, and our TEs, can give Cowher the ammo he needs to run his style of offense.

DonnyMost
12-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Fisher is my 2nd choice behind Cowher.

Averages a playoff appearance every 2.5 years.

ChampionTexan
12-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Watching First Take this morning I got this odd feeling Kubiak will be fired but Cowher or Gruden are not coming here. Kubiaks entire staff is under contract through 2012. I see McNair wanting to bring someone in who will retain the offensive staff, a move I agree with. the defense is the problem not the offense.

Cowher/Gruden would want to implement their own system. My new darkhorse candidate is Jeff Fisher. Fisher doesnt have to be fired he has an opt-out clause in his contract where he can just walk away at any time. The fact that Adams keeps stuffing VY down his throat is obviously wearing on him. Adams main reason for doing this is because he has some sick idea that he is sticking it to the fans in Houston.

Now Fisher can return the favor. Take over the Texans, retain the 5th best offense in the league and rebuild the defense with his own staff as he sees fit. he also would get the chance to stick it to Adams and VY twice a year.

Win-win.

Just my my opinion of course.:fieldgoal

Why do you believe that Fisher would be willing to use the current system/accept the existing offensive staff, but Cowher wouldn't?

gary
12-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Because.

You guys aren't very patient.Lol, thanks Lucky. It is cool.:)

OzzO
12-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Because.

You're on a recent merging roll, Lucky. Good job.

DX-TEX
12-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Why do you believe that Fisher would be willing to use the current system/accept the existing offensive staff, but Cowher wouldn't?

Gut feeling. Seems like Cowher would have an ego and want it his way or no way. Fisher knows our offense and what it can do, he has seen it first hand.

Also Cowher is going to cost more than Fisher will.