PDA

View Full Version : Team Schottenheimer

Hookem Horns
11-23-2010, 01:14 AM
Actually I had a diehard Texans fan try to sell this one to me the other day. He made some good points and feels the man is due to finally win the big one with somebody. He referenced a couple of guys like Dick Vermeil and someone else I can't remember. The guy has won everyone he has gone, there is no arguing that. He has turned around some pretty poor teams. However my biggest issue with him is his age. The guy is 67.

TheMatrix31
11-23-2010, 01:28 AM
Hell no. HELL no. No Marty Ball. I'd rather never make the playoffs than make the playoffs and flame out playing Marty Ball.

No way, no how.

m5kwatts
11-23-2010, 01:36 AM
Hell no. HELL no. No Marty Ball. I'd rather never make the playoffs than make the playoffs and flame out playing Marty Ball.

No way, no how.

Uh, I don't agree with that at all. I'd rather make the playoffs than not make the playoffs I don't care if our coach is Peter Griffin.

I think Marty would light some fires under players who need it, particularly Okoye and Mario. Also don't underestimate a coach's ability to surround himself with good coaches. Remember Marty had some damn good coordinators with him where ever he went.

Norg
11-23-2010, 01:57 AM
Im going to bed Baaa a hupppp

Dan B.
11-23-2010, 02:02 AM
He's old, but the guy averaged 10 wins a season. We have yet to get 10 wins. Ever.

I don't always buy the "can't win the big one" stuff. Peyton Manning was elite before he got his ring, and still is. Dan Marino and Warren Moon are still two of the greatest QB's in NFL history. As far as coaches I'd put Andy Reid up there with anyone except maybe Belichek, and the guy has yet to get a Super Bowl ring himself. Winning a Super Bowl takes a whole lot of skill, along with a little luck at the right time.

wagonhed
11-23-2010, 02:06 AM
i'd love ole Marty, but I don't think it'll happen.

TheMatrix31
11-23-2010, 02:18 AM
I don't know, I would absolutely hate him.

VTexan
11-23-2010, 03:06 AM
I don't know, I would absolutely hate him.

insightful

TheMatrix31
11-23-2010, 04:15 AM
insightful

Do you think our offensive talent deserves an almost-exclusive "run, run, pass" system?

Txn_in_FL
11-23-2010, 04:20 AM
Do you think our offensive talent deserves an almost-exclusive "run, run, pass" system?

Versus the "pass, pass, run" system? I'm up for just about anything at this point.

TheMatrix31
11-23-2010, 04:23 AM
Bottom line is, you go with a system that best benefits the players. Andre Johnson would be worthless under Marty Schottenheimer.

I would totally rather have Cowher, who is ironically, part of the Schottenheimer tree. Cowher is more flexible in the way he conducts his offense though, which is why I'd MUCH prefer him.

Txn_in_FL
11-23-2010, 04:31 AM
Bottom line is, you go with a system that best benefits the players. Andre Johnson would be worthless under Marty Schottenheimer.

I would totally rather have Cowher, who is ironically, part of the Schottenheimer tree. Cowher is more flexible in the way he conducts his offense though, which is why I'd MUCH prefer him.

While he can turn a program around I'm not a Martyball fan. I'm on the Cowher-wagon, anything less than at least some talks with him will be extremely disappointing.

stingray
11-23-2010, 07:11 AM
I listened to Marty on Sirius NFL Radio quite a bit and he has said that he is done with coaching.

TEXANS84
11-23-2010, 08:26 AM
I actually would definitley be on board with Team Schottenheimer. As long as he brought with him a respectable defensive coordinator...would be the easiest transition considering our offensive talent.

Txn_in_FL
11-23-2010, 08:28 AM
I actually would definitley be on board with Team Schottenheimer. As long as he brought with him a respectable defensive coordinator...would be the easiest transition considering our offensive talent.

Wasn't Phillips the Younger his D Coordinator at SD?

El Tejano
11-23-2010, 08:47 AM

Wade Phillips would be right there for him to reunite with. Thing about Schottenheimer is he always has his teams ready to play. This is a coach that talks to his teams about rivlaries and such. He also keeps them focused. He will talk to them when things are going bad and get them to keep playing.

IDEXAN
11-23-2010, 09:17 AM
I thought Martys forte was defense ?
Regarding his age, who cares how old he is if he can win ?

TEXANS84
11-23-2010, 10:08 AM
I thought Martys forte was defense ??

Correct. But the guy has a head for a good offensive coordinator. Had the Cheifs in the late 90's and then the Redskins and obviously Chargers with Cam Cameron.

I think he started as a linebackers coach on a few teams before being hired as a HC.

midway
11-23-2010, 10:10 AM
I'd rather never make the playoffs than make the playoffs and flame out playing Marty Ball.

whaaaaaaat?

It's better to fail forever than to have some success if that success comes in a way that you don't like?

Dread-Head
11-23-2010, 11:03 AM

I like Marty. He's insane!

2slik4u
11-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Uh, I don't agree with that at all. I'd rather make the playoffs than not make the playoffs I don't care if our coach is Peter Griffin.

I think Marty would light some fires under players who need it, particularly Okoye and Mario. Also don't underestimate a coach's ability to surround himself with good coaches. Remember Marty had some damn good coordinators with him where ever he went.

Yeah what he said. I think I could do pretty good but not as good as Marty. I like Sr. Shotty. I mean hell, he went 14-2 and got canned.

Showtime100
11-23-2010, 01:01 PM
I saw the thread title and hit reply immediately. Hell no. Schott will never win a Championship....period. Might as well keep Kubes instead of him.

TimeKiller
11-23-2010, 01:33 PM
I'd rather take a Schott en my heimer.

Uhhh....

well I tried. I should've just said no...or erased this post. But I'm not going to. Schott en my heimer.

TheMatrix31
11-23-2010, 04:36 PM
whaaaaaaat?

It's better to fail forever than to have some success if that success comes in a way that you don't like?

Considering he's hailed as some sort of savior always, and he he's never gotten it done in the playoffs, and that his offensive style does not suit our players the best, yes. Making the playoffs is good, yeah, nice, but what happens when we fail in them three years in a row. All you "pink soap" people will be bitching and moaning for ANOTHER new coach.

JB
11-23-2010, 04:50 PM
Considering he's hailed as some sort of savior always, and he he's never gotten it done in the playoffs, and that his offensive style does not suit our players the best, yes. Making the playoffs is good, yeah, nice, but what happens when we fail in them three years in a row. All you "pink soap" people will be bitching and moaning for ANOTHER new coach.

You do know that NFL stands for Not For Long?

Grams
11-23-2010, 04:54 PM
He is retired guys.

He has stated this again and again and again that he is retired ans intends to stay retired.

dalemurphy
11-23-2010, 05:21 PM
I saw the thread title and hit reply immediately. Hell no. Schott will never win a Championship....period. Might as well keep Kubes instead of him.

That's just ignorant to say. Why not? because he hasn't won one? Did his coaching cause the Elway drive to happen or the Ernest Byner fumble in the endzone? Or, how about the Maron McCree fumble after the clinching interception vs. NE?... The guy is a great coach.

He took some Cleveland teams with solid talent to back to back AFC championship games. He dominated the AFC West with the KC Chiefs, using QBs like Bono to do it. He took over a disaster in Washington and after an 0-5 start, they finished 8-8. His last season in SD, the Chargers were 14-2.

He is a marvel of preparation. He coaches his coaches very well and his teams win games.

Showtime100
11-23-2010, 07:27 PM
That's just ignorant to say. Why not? because he hasn't won one? Did his coaching cause the Elway drive to happen or the Ernest Byner fumble in the endzone? Or, how about the Maron McCree fumble after the clinching interception vs. NE?... The guy is a great coach.

He took some Cleveland teams with solid talent to back to back AFC championship games. He dominated the AFC West with the KC Chiefs, using QBs like Bono to do it. He took over a disaster in Washington and after an 0-5 start, they finished 8-8. His last season in SD, the Chargers were 14-2.

He is a marvel of preparation. He coaches his coaches very well and his teams win games.

I said it in the '80's and have been waaaay less than ignorant so far. I'm not going to get ignorant now. Has he won a Championship? No. Did I say playoffs? No. I said Championship.

Cracks me up you want to take me to task on this. I've been right for 30 years on the topic with plenty of good Marty years left when I first said it.

EDIT: I want a Championship. A lot of Texan fans seem happy with 9-7 with hope of doing better.

dalemurphy
11-23-2010, 07:34 PM
I said it in the '80's and have been waaaay less than ignorant so far. I'm not going to get ignorant now. Has he won a Championship? No. Did I say playoffs? No. I said Championship.

Cracks me up you want to take me to task on this. I've been right for 30 years on the topic with plenty of good Marty years left when I first said it.

you said, "might as well keep Kubes' instead of him"... and "hell, no!"

It's a very flawed and simplistic argument, removing all but one variable to determine if a person is qualified or not. That kind of logic would never have given Vermeil a shot in St. Louis, kept Cowher in Pittsburgh, gave Belichek a shot in N.E., credit Dan Marino as a great QB.

The same system would suggest hiring Brian Billick, Jim Fassel, Barry Switzer, among others.

Showtime100
11-23-2010, 07:38 PM
you said, "might as well keep Kubes' instead of him"... and "hell, no!"

It's a very flawed and simplistic argument, removing all but one variable to determine if a person is qualified or not. That kind of logic would never have given Vermeil a shot in St. Louis, kept Cowher in Pittsburgh, gave Belichek a shot in N.E., credit Dan Marino as a great QB.

The same system would suggest hiring Brian Billick, Jim Fassel, Barry Switzer, among others.

Geezus. About Kubes, next time I'll use a sarcam emoticon, just for you.

About Schott, am I wrong?? He tended to change what got him to the playoffs once there which is why I said it in the first place. As for simplistic, thank you. Sometimes a load of BS is just that, a load of BS.

dalemurphy
11-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Geezus. About Kubes, next time I'll use a sarcam emoticon, just for you.

About Schott, am I wrong?? He tended to change what got him to the playoffs once there which is why I said it in the first place. As for simplistic, thank you. Sometimes a load of BS is just that, a load of BS.

I get the sarcasm. However, I'm assuming the sarcasm was highlighting (along with the hell No!) how viamently opposed you are to the suggestion of Schottenheimer. I can understand not wanting Schottenheimer as a first choice... but, to be repelled by the thought of it simply because he has never won a championship is ridiculous. That is a small pool you are swimming in if you limit yourself to that criteria... doesn't mean you can't get hold of a bad coach, though: Switzer, Seifert, Calahan, Billick, Fassel, etc.. Perhaps we can't get Cowher or Gruden. If so, who is the magical championship maker that you want?

gary
11-23-2010, 07:50 PM
This thread has raised a question. Why do you think think there have been coaches who have had good seasons but do not win in the playoffs? Such as Reid, Turner, and Marty.

Heath Shuler
11-23-2010, 07:55 PM
If it is going to be a damn near 70 year old guy, Id rather have Jimmy Johnson.

I guess if Schottenheimer brings his kid as OC and Wade Phillips as DC, maybe.

Showtime100
11-23-2010, 07:58 PM
I get the sarcasm. However, I'm assuming the sarcasm was highlighting (along with the hell No!) how viamently opposed you are to the suggestion of Schottenheimer. I can understand not wanting Schottenheimer as a first choice... but, to be repelled by the thought of it simply because he has never won a championship is ridiculous. That is a small pool you are swimming in if you limit yourself to that criteria... doesn't mean you can't get hold of a bad coach, though: Switzer, Seifert, Calahan, Billick, Fassel, etc.. Perhaps we can't get Cowher or Gruden. If so, who is the magical championship maker that you want?

Lol, not Schott. Look, if you think a coach is incapable of winning it all and history has been on your side for more than half your 47-year-old life, it isn't ridiculous to strongly oppose him IF you want a Championship!!!! I swear I feel like Ashton Cutcher is watching me ready to spring at any moment. You kidding? I-----don't-----want-----Marty. You don't feel the same way? Fine, you are not being ignorant or ridiculous for saying so. I actually understand how opinions vary.

If you'll excuse me my wife just got home and I have a standing rule, one nag at a time.

Kaiser Toro
11-23-2010, 08:03 PM
I viamently don't want Ashton Cutcher to coach here.

JB
11-23-2010, 10:27 PM
This is all a moot point. Just like the Team Dungy thread.

Both have said they are not interested in coaching.

Can we at least talk about viable canidates? Or should we go with the dream selection.

Lombardi, Landry, Noll or Halas?

:rolleyes:

DexmanC
11-23-2010, 10:31 PM

I forgot Marty was the coach that made Grbac into a star. He didn't
really get an elite QB until he got to San Diego. He was fired before
that QB's prime.

Texan_Bill
11-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Actually I had a diehard Texans fan try to sell this one to me the other day. He made some good points and feels the man is due to finally win the big one with somebody. He referenced a couple of guys like Dick Vermeil and someone else I can't remember. The guy has won everyone he has gone, there is no arguing that. He has turned around some pretty poor teams. However my biggest issue with him is his age. The guy is 67.

No way, no how.

Yes and yes... Pass on Marty ball!! Thanks!

HOU-TEX
11-24-2010, 09:57 AM
:hmmm: Let's see here. Schottenheimer's cursed and Houston is cursed......hell yeah, perfect match!

False Start
11-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Not Marty, but I think his son (Brian) will be a good HC one day.

Mr. White
11-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Not Marty, but I think his son (Brian) will be a good HC one day.

Did anyone watch Hard Knocks?

Whoever hires Brian is going to get Marty in some unofficial capacity. Seems like those 2 are pretty tight.

Brian would probably be running his style of offense, but I'm sure some Marty guys would be on the other side of the ball.

False Start
11-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Did anyone watch Hard Knocks?

Whoever hires Brian is going to get Marty in some unofficial capacity. Seems like those 2 are pretty tight.

Brian would probably be running his style of offense, but I'm sure some Marty guys would be on the other side of the ball.

Yes I did. I thought it was bad ass of him to say if, and when he wins a SB, he was going to give the ring to his Dad. As far as Pops giving him some advice, I wouldn't doubt it at all. He has a ton of connections through his Dad, and I think he could bring in some very quality coordinators. He has a good relationship with his players, but can be a hard ass too. I like that.

I know would be a first time HC, but if there is a change, and we didn't land one of the big names, I wouldn't be terribly upset if we were to hire him. He would not be my ideal choice, but I think the guy is gonna be a pretty good HC once he gets a chance.

Texecutioner
11-24-2010, 07:48 PM
I would not want Marty, but I'd take him over the worthless excuse of a coach that we have now. At least I could have some hope in this team again. Anyone new would be an improvement over Kubiak.