PDA

View Full Version : How long until Texans make the playoffs?

HTown2ATX
11-22-2010, 08:14 AM
Simple question:

Given that we should have a new coach next year, how long until new coach gets us to playoffs considering the garbage we have in the secondary and possible scheme changes with a new coach?

I say 2 years only because there is too much garbage on the D to get rid of.

Plus this is the Texans we're talking about. Good things just don't happen, so I don't expect us to be one of these teams that all the sudden just wins with a new coach in year 1....that takes real sugar coating and heavily tinted rose glasses which I grew out of a long time ago.

Of course, should Kubiak and the Denny's menu still be here next year, this question doesn't matter as we'll be going another few years for sure without playoffs as we ride out Kubiaks extension. :gun:

Thorn
11-22-2010, 08:18 AM
I voted two years, but let's hope we don't get another failure at the head coaching position. Now that would really suck.

3rd and Inches
11-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Simple question:

Given that we should have a new coach next year, how long until new coach gets us to playoffs considering the garbage we have in the secondary and possible scheme changes with a new coach?

At the pessimistic point I'm at right now.. I'd say..

http://www.gifsoup.com/view3/1238965/sandlot-forever-o.gif

DexmanC
11-22-2010, 08:22 AM
I was leaning towards "Next year with a new coach," but I have
no faith in this ownership group to select the right coach, or fire
the current one.

If they hire the RIGHT coach, then the sky is the limit for this team.
The talent is there, but this team is EXTREMELY mentally lax in crucial situations.

TrueTexanFan
11-22-2010, 08:23 AM
FIRE KUBIAK AND THE WE CAN TALK!!:clap:

gafftop
11-22-2010, 08:34 AM
Next season with a new head coach. The Texans could maybe make it next year with a DC change, but you would still have the Kubiak mindset as head coach and the Texans would never get to the Super Bowl or go deep in the playoffs. He does not understand you play to win all the time. The difference between winning and losing is razor thin in the NFL.

HTown2ATX
11-22-2010, 09:46 AM
So majority of people so far think next year? Really?

Even with the garbage on Defense we need to turn over. A possible lockout that keeps the new coach from getting with the team early next year. The losing mentality of this fanchise.

Next year? Really?

Please someone explain the reasoning to me. I'm not attacking anyone, I seriously don't see it and want to be convinced.

I WANT to see the playoffs next year but I don't think that's a for real possibility.

scourge
11-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Simple question:

I say 2 years only because there is too much garbage on the D to get rid of.

Plus this is the Texans we're talking about. Good things just don't happen, so I don't expect us to be one of these teams that all the sudden just wins with a new coach in year 1....that takes real sugar coating and heavily tinted rose glasses which I grew out of a long time ago.

Of course, should Kubiak and the Denny's menu still be here next year, this question doesn't matter as we'll be going another few years for sure without playoffs as we ride out Kubiaks extension. :gun:

Should have and will are two separate things. Not so sure McNair will make the right call. I voted for next year with a new coach, but probably looking at 2 years if we make the switch from 4-3 to 3-4.

Blake
11-22-2010, 10:23 AM
I voted 4+ years. I dont think McNair fires Kubiak. And he wastes 1-2 more years. Then we get a new coach who brings in a rookie QB and that takes 2-3 years. So 5 years?

steelbtexan
11-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Dont know who the HC is going to be.

Kubes 4+ yrs

Proven winner running the organization (Parcells,Gruden,Billick SP?) 1/2rs

Nawzer
11-22-2010, 10:26 AM
If we just had an average defense like we did last year we would've been in the playoffs this year.

Mr teX
11-22-2010, 10:32 AM
I was leaning towards "Next year with a new coach," but I have
no faith in this ownership group to select the right coach, or fire
the current one.

If they hire the RIGHT coach, then the sky is the limit for this team.
The talent is there, but this team is EXTREMELY mentally lax in crucial situations.

You seriously saying we have enough talent in the secondary to be able to fix this defense in 1 off-season? 2 years unless they hit FA really hard which is unlikely.

burro
11-22-2010, 10:36 AM
In a couple of years when McNair finally comes around to the realization that Kubiak is a substandard coach who has built a substandard team. I'll guess the 2015 season, which would be the second year of who ever our new coach would be.

Norg
11-22-2010, 12:00 PM
i remember some guy sayin a while back 2011 or 2012 is when we will make it

hes sounding more and more right becasue he was saying that back in 2008

Texanmike02
11-22-2010, 12:29 PM
I think that what we saw from the front seven this week only confims what I've thought all along. The secondary of this team is a SERIOUS problem. We need a playmaker at the S spot... and a CB that can take on the other team's number 1 receiver. If we could somehow get that this year I think we could still make the playoffs in this division. Obviously that won't happen but I don't see where we have more than one offseason to fix that.

I'll even say that for the most part this year... we haven't let the wheels fall off (the Cowpies and the Giants games not witstanding) and this team has actually shown some heart late in games (the last two and the washington games as examples). This team isn't that far.

This team is a bouqet of roses with 3 turd flowers. You get rid of those turd flowers and this team is suddenly just fine. That said, any group of flowers is terrible if there is a turd in it.

Mike

Ole Miss Texan
11-22-2010, 12:35 PM
I think McNair is going to keep Kubiak as the Head Coach.
I think we're going to hire a new Defensive Coordinator.
I think we're going to make some sort of acquisition (veteran FA?) to for the secondary, most likely someone the new DC knows.

I think we'll see mild improvement in the secondary and that will have a huge effect on the overall defense. This in turn will really change how we're playing games and help our offense out a lot.

I think we'll make the playoffs next season.

Dread-Head
11-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Can't access the Jim Mora clip I want to post from work...

:headhurts:

wagonhed
11-22-2010, 03:12 PM
I voted next year. That's assuming we have a new HC and coaching staff.

Texas T
11-22-2010, 03:16 PM
I voted 4+, been a Houston fan my whole life...nuff said.

AndreRulz
11-22-2010, 05:54 PM
I say 2 years

Norg
11-22-2010, 05:58 PM
I think McNair is going to keep Kubiak as the Head Coach.
I think we're going to hire a new Defensive Coordinator.
I think we're going to make some sort of acquisition (veteran FA?) to for the secondary, most likely someone the new DC knows.

I think we'll see mild improvement in the secondary and that will have a huge effect on the overall defense. This in turn will really change how we're playing games and help our offense out a lot.

I think we'll make the playoffs next season.

i agree with all that i also think we gonna spend a little bit more money next year in F/A

even if we do win out and a miricle happens i still think we need to go hard next year

Double Barrel
11-22-2010, 06:17 PM
I voted 4+ years. I dont think McNair fires Kubiak. And he wastes 1-2 more years. Then we get a new coach who brings in a rookie QB and that takes 2-3 years. So 5 years?

This was my vote before reading any posts.

McNair likes Kubiak, and that alone gives him 2011...plus the whole unresolved collective bargaining thing and two years left on his deal.

So they scapegoat Frank Bush, put the marketing department into overdrive to pump up the gullible about how awesome the 2011 season is going to be, and we Groundhog Day it for another year.

Then, maybe...Kubiak is gone for 2012, but with all the scrubs he's got on the team, it takes another head coach 2-3 more years to build a solid roster.

Easily a four year plan we're looking at, and that's being optimistic.

imatexan
11-22-2010, 06:51 PM
I didn't see the "this year" option so I did not vote ;)

Norg
11-22-2010, 06:55 PM
IF we can some how get past

Philly and PLay blood sweet and tears on MNF vs the Ravens

i think to goal is there

now with Tenn Situation i think we can sweep the TItans

and the only thing that would stand in our way is

@denver
vs JAGS

Philly on TNF and Ravens on MNF is the end all be all

Buffi2
11-22-2010, 07:12 PM
I voted next year with a new coach. Pollyanna is my middle name.

I don't think we will have a new coach next year for reasons others have already stated. Soo, that being said - it will be awhile before we see the playoffs.

JB
11-22-2010, 07:36 PM
IF we can some how get past

Philly and PLay blood sweet and tears on MNF vs the Ravens

i think to goal is there

now with Tenn Situation i think we can sweep the TItans

and the only thing that would stand in our way is

@denver
vs JAGS

Philly on TNF and Ravens on MNF is the end all be all

:headhurts: :confused: :cry2:

Can someone interpret this for me?

I miss SIAB!

kiwitexansfan
11-22-2010, 07:59 PM
:headhurts: :confused: :cry2:

Can someone interpret this for me?

I miss SIAB!

I believe Norg believes if we beat the Eagles and Ravens we'll be golden and playoff bound.