PDA

View Full Version : "Somebody on the defensive side of the ball should be fired."

MojoX
11-21-2010, 07:38 PM
That was Rodney Harrison's conclusion as he and Dungy analyzed the Jets game. Dungy, a guy reserved in his criticism, ripped the coaches for having the defensive backs playing inside technique in a prevent defense when they should have been protecting the sidelines. Harrison and Dungy went on to say that this was the second week in a row the defensive coaching has cost the Texans a game.

So now we have Coach Dungy chiming in along with some of the Texans opponents to point out that this defense is poorly coached. I think it is a bad idea to fire Kubiak during the season. But, during the season or immediately in the offseason, at the every least, somebody on the defensive coaching staff needs to pay.

This team is plenty talented....

Dishman
11-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Until McNair says it...

silvrhand
11-21-2010, 07:46 PM
That was Rodney Harrison's conclusion as he and Dungy analyzed the Jets game. Dungy, a guy reserved in his criticism, ripped the coaches for having the defensive backs playing inside technique in a prevent defense when they should have been protecting the sidelines. Harrison and Dungy went on to say that this was the second week in a row the defensive coaching has cost the Texans a game.

So now we have Coach Dungy chiming in along with some of the Texans opponents to point out that this defense is poorly coached. I think it is a bad idea to fire Kubiak during the season. But, during the season or immediately in the offseason, at the every least, somebody on the defensive coaching staff needs to pay.

We have been bringing that up all year I have no idea wtf this secondary is being taught it's WRONG.. it's SOOO BAD.. I mean Gary as a OC should know that this is wrong as well..

NO EXCUSES...

Mr teX
11-21-2010, 07:49 PM

fire bush & gibbs and put everyone on notice...

MojoX
11-21-2010, 07:50 PM
We have been bringing that up all year I have no idea wtf this secondary is being taught it's WRONG.. it's SOOO BAD.. I mean Gary as a OC should know that this is wrong as well..

NO EXCUSES...

The defense sucks because the defensive coaching is horrible. If Kubiak can't or won't fix that, then he needs to go too. Part of a head coaches job is managing his entire staff and deal with all phases of the game.

Brisco_County
11-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Firing a defensive coach right now takes heat off Kubiak, which means it's the wrong move. We need an entirely new staff. Our next DC selection will depend on who our next HC is.

Revolution
11-21-2010, 08:15 PM
firing a defensive coach right now takes heat off kubiak, which means it's the wrong move. We need an entirely new staff. Our next dc selection will depend on who our next hc is.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this!!!!

Pantherstang84
11-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Firing a defensive coach right now takes heat off Kubiak, which means it's the wrong move. We need an entirely new staff. Our next DC selection will depend on who our next HC is.

I agree. Just have to deal with the suck until the end of the season. Which can't come soon enough.

gary
11-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Fire everyone I am sick of this crap.

Thorn
11-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Fire everyone I am sick of this crap.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel right now. This season is shot to hell, the Texans ain't making the playoffs and they keep finding new and original ways to make it close then die at the end.

I seen no reason not to fire everyone right now and give the new coaching staff the rest of the season to get ready for Next Year.

Man, I sure the **** am getting tired of talking about Next Year every damn year.

Pantherstang84
11-21-2010, 08:32 PM
I am dying to hear Vanderhomer's sunshine spin in the morning.

wagonhed
11-21-2010, 08:34 PM

yes, this. I'm actually fearful that our defensive problems and focus on how much Bush sucks will cause us to forget that Kubiak has been a problem all along.

gary
11-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel right now. This season is shot to hell, the Texans ain't making the playoffs and they keep finding new and original ways to make it close then die at the end.

I seen no reason not to fire everyone right now and give the new coaching staff the rest of the season to get ready for Next Year.

Man, I sure the **** am getting tired of talking about Next Year every damn year.
This whole team is just a crap shoot right now.

houstonspartan
11-21-2010, 08:53 PM

Exactly.

Enough already.

TexanBacker93
11-21-2010, 09:33 PM

I'm beginning to feel the pain that Cubs fans must feel. God I hope we don't have to wait 100 years. I might not be able to make it.

Lucky
11-21-2010, 09:49 PM
.. I mean Gary as a OC should know that this is wrong as well...
Kubiak hears every defensive call on his headset. If he disagreed (with the game on the line) he had the power to overrule.

This is on Gary Kubiak. All of it is on Gary Kubiak. It's mind numbing to read intelligent posters draw conclusions that Kubiak is not the problem. If he had any clue about defensive football, he would not allow this travesty to continue week after week.

I am now convinced that Kubiak is an intellectual midget in terms of the game of football. He has aped the schemes of Walsh, Shanahan, and Gibbs. He has created nothing of his own. Gary Kubiak is a farce. There, I said it. I've been pondering the possibility since the '08 season. I now believe 100% that is the case.
Firing a defensive coach right now takes heat off Kubiak, which means it's the wrong move.
That is 1000% correct. Let McNair feel the pain of the most disappointing season in the Texans short history. Then maybe, just maybe, he'll do something about this garbage.

MojoX
11-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Kubiak hears every defensive call on his headset. If he disagreed (with the game on the line) he had the power to overrule.

I am with you here.

I kinda read Dungy and Harrison's comments as a challenge to Kubiak to get on to doing the tough business of being a Head Coach.

Brisco_County
11-21-2010, 09:57 PM
I've said this a few times already: Ordinarily, the right thing to do is wait until the offseason to clean house and select your coordinators and staff from the coach carousel. But because of the lockout, there will be no OTA's or camp, so the right thing to do is bring in your next HC right now, have him grab whoever happens to be available for coordinator jobs, and implement the new system immediately.

McNair won't do this, but I sure as hell would.

DerekLee1
11-21-2010, 09:59 PM
We have a guy on out defensive staff who built one of the best, fiercest defenses in the history of the league. McNair needs to fire Bush and let Rhodes take over. NOW.

Runner
11-21-2010, 10:02 PM

Agreed. Replacing the defensive coaches and keeping Rick Smith and Kubiak smacks of the whole "incremental improvement, spin the loss the right way, squint your eyes and Presto! Kubes and Company is doing a good job" argument.

Keeping Kubes and hoping he starts making better game plans, good coaching adjustments, and NFL quality game time decisions is the same bad logic that made half the board ecstatic last year when Kubiak was extended.

Mr teX
11-21-2010, 10:04 PM
We have a guy on out defensive staff who built one of the best, fiercest defenses in the history of the league. McNair needs to fire Bush and let Rhodes take over. NOW.

Rhodes has been here throughout this whole fiasco & smith's garbage defense.....plus he's got health issues...plus he'll have the same players. Bush surely isn't the answer, but rhodes isn't either.

Norg
11-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Even if u do play the outside knowing our D they would just leave the entire middle vaccent for a walk in TD

IMO our Lbers were not deep enough we rushes 4 linemen it should have been only 2

Mario and SMith should have been on our 30 yard line o well 2 late now

and dont worry unless the D does a insane 360 THe entire D coaches and some players will be gone

Brisco_County
11-21-2010, 10:09 PM
That is 1000% correct. Let McNair feel the pain of the most disappointing season in the Texans short history. Then maybe, just maybe, he'll do something about this garbage.

McNair already knows that a change will take place at the HC position. The fact that neither Bush nor Gibbs have been fired is a sure indication that a thorough purge is on the horizon.

MFG16
11-21-2010, 10:10 PM

^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^

Mcnair needs to fire gibbs as well, and let Rhodes run the defense and control the secondary for the rest of the season. Gibbs is probably the worst influence you can have on a young, inexperienced secondary.

kiwitexansfan
11-21-2010, 10:10 PM
McNair already knows that a change will take place at the HC position. The fact that neither Bush nor Gibbs have been fired is a sure indication that a thorough purge is on the horizon.

This is quite possibly a good conclusion to come to.

Norg
11-21-2010, 10:11 PM

ehh TBO this game didnt hurt Kubes it was a close game

If anything Kubes will stay and the enitre D will be purged

Thats just how i see it right now

edo783
11-21-2010, 10:13 PM
If they could somehow get one of the big three available HC possibilities (Gruden, Cowher, Bilick SP) to come in at this point and fire Bush and get a new DC (not sure who is out there besides Wade) but keep the rest, then the new HC would have time to eval the team and the other coaches. Then get any other coaches he needs in the offseason. That way he would have some sort of an idea of the team and staff and might be able to transform the team to his type of play. Then if there is a lockout and they don't get in til Sept, we won't be totally behind the eight ball with starting with a new coaching staff. Now, having said that, I doubt Mr. McNair will do that. He doesn't strike me as a guy who makes sudden moves. He likes to analyze stuff front to back before moving. I also think we should consider a new GM. I'm not sure how much he influenced the draft picks, but he may not be a top level talent evaluator.

I really wanted Kubes to succeed, but he isn't getting it done.

gary
11-21-2010, 10:14 PM

We are all D cords but none of us are coaching. LOL, just kidding.

overtrained
11-21-2010, 10:17 PM
A Head Coach only gets to fire one Assistant. Gary built this stinking shit-show and he takes the first bullet along with all his other Denver cronies. Time to bring in proven winners to turn around this cursed franchise. Start with a GM and go from there.

Htownsportsfan
11-21-2010, 10:27 PM

I am not thrilled with the prospect of this but I think this is going to be the path that McNair takes as well. I am not defending Kubiak as the buck stops with him for this team, but the D has been 90%+ of the issue. The offense is inconsistent but damn they put up 23 vs the Charges defense and 27 against a Jets defense most of us thought would shut them down. I am afraid McNair will see the offense as just need some tweaking to become consistent while the defense needs to start over.

Maybe McNair will make some inquiries or receive some about the HC position which will make him clean house but I am afraid he is going to be take the glass half full view and be conservative.

Norg
11-21-2010, 10:33 PM
THe O needs tweeking no doubt but lets face it the D hasent helped them get more snaps

THe O is the reason we have won for games and the D is the reason we lose

if anything mcnair may think OK Kubes u take care of the O but your buddies have to GO from the D to hopefully the GM has well

and Maybe we pick up a Proven Backup QB to put pressure on Matt i dont know thats what i might do right now if i was BOB

Maybe Drop Matt L or danO and get a Very solid Backup

Jackie Chiles
11-21-2010, 10:34 PM
I would settle with them cutting Brice McCain. I understand they have to keep trotting Kareem out there because he is a rookie and they used a first on him but why is McCain still on this team much less playing so much? He's not even competing out there, its totally embarrassing. Let McMannis get a shot or Molden if hes healthy.

Brisco_County
11-21-2010, 10:43 PM
I am not thrilled with the prospect of this but I think this is going to be the path that McNair takes as well. I am not defending Kubiak as the buck stops with him for this team, but the D has been 90%+ of the issue. The offense is inconsistent but damn they put up 23 vs the Charges defense and 27 against a Jets defense most of us thought would shut them down. I am afraid McNair will see the offense as just need some tweaking to become consistent while the defense needs to start over.

Maybe McNair will make some inquiries or receive some about the HC position which will make him clean house but I am afraid he is going to be take the glass half full view and be conservative.

McNair will fire Kubiak. He watched Kubiak get outcoached by Wade Phillips. He watched Kubiak's offense get completely shut down by the Giants. He watched Kubiak go on national TV and call passing plays against a Colts defense that has no answer for Arian Foster. By now, McNair knows the problem isn't just the defense.

GNTLEWOLF
11-21-2010, 11:06 PM

This is on Gary Kubiak. All of it is on Gary Kubiak. It's mind numbing to read intelligent posters draw conclusions that Kubiak is not the problem. If he had any clue about defensive football, he would not allow this travesty to continue week after week.

I am now convinced that Kubiak is an intellectual midget in terms of the game of football. He has aped the schemes of Walsh, Shanahan, and Gibbs. He has created nothing of his own. Gary Kubiak is a farce. There, I said it. I've been pondering the possibility since the '08 season. I now believe 100% that is the case.

Just my two cents, but...
Gary Kubiak is supposed to be some kind of Offensive Guru. For that to be the case he would by definition have to understand defenses, their tendencies and formations very well. In fact to be a great offensive coordinator, it would be beneficial for one to be a defensive genius as well. That being said, I agree that Kubiak gets no pass when it comes to poor defensive play since as you said, he hears every defensive call in his head set. He is not just this offensive guy that only understands offenses and hasn't a clue about defense unless your premiss that he is a mental midget is correct.
This debacle is all on him and he is the one that needs to go.

GNTLEWOLF
11-21-2010, 11:08 PM
McNair will fire Kubiak. He watched Kubiak get outcoached by Wade Phillips. He watched Kubiak's offense get completely shut down by the Giants. He watched Kubiak go on national TV and call passing plays against a Colts defense that has no answer for Arian Foster. By now, McNair knows the problem isn't just the defense.

The question is, will Mcnair understand enough of what you said to realize Kubiak really is the problem.

Brisco_County
11-22-2010, 01:08 AM
The question is, will Mcnair understand enough of what you said to realize Kubiak really is the problem.

Yes. He may not be the most shrewd owner in the league, but he didn't become mega-rich by being clueless.

Besides, the conditions for Kubiak's further tenure with this team were plainly stated in the contract extension he signed last year. It's safe to say those conditions are not met.

Malloy
11-22-2010, 02:26 AM
Power structure and all, COULD Rick Smith (not would) be able to fire Bush himself and bring in a ned D-cor? I realize that this sort of thing prolly would have to pass by McNair, but could he, in theory?

Rey
11-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Didn't see a thread for this and thought it was worthy of it's own space.

Last night on football night in America, Dungy and Harrison both pointed out the ineptness of the Texans coaching staff. Pretty embarrassing stuff.

They pointed out something which would seem elementary.

Jason Allen was playing inside technique, virtually giving up the sideline, when he should have been playing outside technique forcing the receiver to make the catch well in bounds and not allowing him to get out.

Then they went on to say that "someone needs to be fired". I am glad that they said that...Even if it doesn't amount to a hill of beans, I am glad that this franchise is being talked about negatively on such a large stage. It pains me to hear my team being talked about like that, but I am hoping that it embarrasses someone in the organization enough that they are spurred to make a change.

Anyways, I just found it interesting and kinda scary that our coaches and/or players weren't bright enough to stop that play from happening that way.

Pretty sad stuff.

Rey
11-22-2010, 02:46 PM
The Texans are making it too easy for Tony Dungy and Rodney Harrison, the analysts on NBC's Sunday Night Football, to do their jobs.

After the final-play loss to Jacksonville last week, once again the Texans teed it up for Dungy and Harrison by the manner in which they lost a game in the final seconds, 30-27 to the Jets.

The analysts focused this time on the 42-yard pass to Jets receiver Braylon Edwards that set up Mark Sanchez's final touchdown pass to Santonio Holmes.

Both men argued that with the clock running down, the Texans' DBs should have played to the outside, forcing the Jets receivers into the middle of the field so that even if a pass were completed, New York might have had difficulty in getting to the line for another play.

"There's no way, with no timeouts and that short of time, you can't let a guy catch the ball on the sideline," Dungy said. "All those defenders should have been outside, protecting the sidelines. Make them throw the ball in the middle of the field."

Harrison agreed, then moved in for the kill shot.

"This happened two weeks in a row," he said. "Somebody on that defensive side of the ball needs to get fired."

Texans play-by-play guy Marc Vandermeer wasn't quite that blatant, but after Edwards caught the pass, he moaned, "How can that happen? No way."

The rhetoric got pretty heated, too, on KILT's (610 AM) postgame talk show. I particularly enjoyed it when, following every highlight clip that featured a Texans touchdown or big play, co-host Brad Davies, said, "Whoop-ti-do," as if to indicate that it eventually was much ado about nothing.

I'm not sure I'm inviting N.D. Kalu, who wondered aloud if Ray Rhodes, his former boss with the Eagles, could be convinced to come in as defensive coordinator, and incumbent Frank Bush to the same Thanksgiving party, either.

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsmedia/2010/11/nbcs_harrison_on_texans_defens.html

utahmark
11-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Didn't see a thread for this and thought it was worthy of it's own space.

Last night on football night in America, Dungy and Harrison both pointed out the ineptness of the Texans coaching staff. Pretty embarrassing stuff.

They pointed out something which would seem elementary.

Jason Allen was playing inside technique, virtually giving up the sideline, when he should have been playing outside technique forcing the receiver to make the catch well in bounds and not allowing him to get out.

Then they went on to say that "someone needs to be fired". I am glad that they said that...Even if it doesn't amount to a hill of beans, I am glad that this franchise is being talked about negatively on such a large stage. It pains me to hear my team being talked about like that, but I am hoping that it embarrasses someone in the organization enough that they are spurred to make a change.

Anyways, I just found it interesting and kinda scary that our coaches and/or players weren't bright enough to stop that play from happening that way.

Pretty sad stuff.

They finally decided to defend against the slant. At the only point in the game where the slant would'nt hurt us.

playa465
11-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Just my two cents, but...
Gary Kubiak is supposed to be some kind of Offensive Guru. For that to be the case he would by definition have to understand defenses, their tendencies and formations very well. In fact to be a great offensive coordinator, it would be beneficial for one to be a defensive genius as well. That being said, I agree that Kubiak gets no pass when it comes to poor defensive play since as you said, he hears every defensive call in his head set. He is not just this offensive guy that only understands offenses and hasn't a clue about defense unless your premiss that he is a mental midget is correct.
This debacle is all on him and he is the one that needs to go.

I understand what you are saying but I think Kubiak doesn't do as you think. He is so confident in what he believes his offense can do, that he ignores (almost completely) what the opposing defense is doing during the game. Hence it takes us at least a half to make an adjustment. Its as if he believes he is smarter than the entire NFL when it comes to offense and no defensive coach can match him wit for wit. This how we end up with him mismanaging the game, out-smarting himself, etc. I don't know if the whole world knows it but I think we fans on here firmly believe Kubiak needs a proven coach on defense who is also an assistant HC...Right now he is king of the hill, with no one to keep him grounded.