PDA

View Full Version : Would you remain a Texans fan if lock out?

badboy
11-18-2010, 05:17 PM
I never thought this season would go like this. My question is if NFL owners decided to lock out for a season, would you be "ready for some football" a year later or be an ex-Texans fan? Most are pretty angry at McNair and I wonder if a missed season would be the straw that broke the camels back?

jaayteetx
11-18-2010, 05:18 PM
I wouldn't renew my season tickets, thats for damn sure.

Yankee_In_TX
Here's my questions:

1. do we have to pay season tickets up front?
2. If no football - do we get a refund and when?

kiwitexansfan
Always will be a Texans fan, whenever, where ever.

Yankee_In_TX
11-18-2010, 05:19 PM
I wouldn't renew my season tickets, thats for damn sure.

See, I hear that every year, but then, seems like almost everyone does because no one wants to lose their seats.

HuttoKarl
11-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Of course I'll be a fan...I'll be a bigger fan if they actually make some changes to be competitive when the lockout ends though.

badboy
11-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Always will be a Texans fan, whenever, where ever.So pretty much whatever they do you are a grin and bear it guy?

Rey
11-18-2010, 05:21 PM
If you are a fan now, you will likely be a fan if a lock out were to occur.

You'd curse the NFL for not getting a deal done, but you'd be itching to see pro football when it finally came back.

Dutchrudder
11-18-2010, 05:21 PM
I think I'll become a Manchester United fan or something.

houstonhurricane
11-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Here's my questions:

1. do we have to pay season tickets up front?
2. If no football - do we get a refund and when?

I have wondered about this as well. Would not be surprised if they still sought the $'s and gave you the option for a refund at a later date (i.e. after it was clear that no strike-shortened season would take place) or asked to keep the balance toward the following season....

Pantherstang84
11-18-2010, 05:35 PM
So pretty much whatever they do you are a grin and bear it guy?

Heard one of those call into the radio the other day. He was like it doesn't matter if the Texans win or not. He goes to the games because it is good entertainment. As long as it is not a blow out loss and the Texans have a "chance" to win he's good.

I wonder how many season ticket holders are like that. What a :clown:

Double Barrel
11-18-2010, 05:35 PM
I'll always be a Texans fan as long as "Houston" is their hometown. That's the nature of an NFL addiction.

However, if they keep Kubiak as a HC in 2011, I won't be sporting any of their gear. I'll watch the games and root, but my own personal protest of accepting mediocrity will be to cease advertising the mediocre product.

hot pickle
11-18-2010, 05:36 PM
texans fan for life! we could go 0-16 for the next 10 years and ill still be a texans fan

gary
11-18-2010, 05:38 PM
You do not have to care for the owner to support your favorite team from your own home which is what I'd do.

Wolf
Hell to the freaking Yeah!

houstonspartan

lol!

This very issue has caused a rift between a good friend and myself. We're both season ticket holders, and he is Mr. Sunshine And Light, ALL the time. Being optimistic is one thing, but he's one of those people where it gets annoying. I'm not allowed to say anything remotely negative about the Texans, because if I do, here come Mr. Apologist to rationalize it away.

I'm not going to end a friendship over sports, obviouisly, but it's annoying as shit and has caused a fair share of tension.

As I told him, I will never, ever, ever apologize for having high standards and thinking like a winner. EVER.

Oh, and to answer the original question: Sure, I'll still love the Texans. But season tickets? Doubtful.

houstonspartan
11-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Heard one of those call into the radio the other day. He was like it doesn't matter if the Texans win or not. He goes to the games because it is good entertainment. As long as it is not a blow out loss and the Texans have a "chance" to win he's good.

I wonder how many season ticket holders are like that. What a :clown:

LOL! As I just posted, I have a friend that is somewhat like that. It's caused it's share of issues, becuase I like to WIN.

The game day experience at Reliant is a blast. But, it's not the be all and end all.

False Start
11-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Texan fan till the day I die. Sure a lockout would suck, but it wouldn't stop me from being a Texans fan. :texflag:

TexCanada
11-18-2010, 05:48 PM
I'll always be a Texans fan as long as "Houston" is their hometown. That's the nature of an NFL addiction.

However, if they keep Kubiak as a HC in 2011, I won't be sporting any of their gear. I'll watch the games and root, but my own personal protest of accepting mediocrity will be to cease advertising the mediocre product.

I'm basically in this same mind-frame. The team will always be my team, but I will have my own personal protests against them if I really don't like the way things are being run. This is like my hockey team right now, the GM has been given more then a fair shake, he obviously sucks at his job but he remains in place. I don't plan on going to any games or buying any more gear until a move is made. This was not a rash decision, but rather one that has been made over the last few years.

It is not as much about the wins and losses as it is about how things are being run. I can put up with terrible seasons as long as I feel the team is working towards getting better.

TheMatrix31
11-18-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm in for the long haul. If I could have changed, I would have already.

Hagar
11-18-2010, 05:54 PM
The biggest problem I have right now is the selling of season tickets to opposing teams fans. The row behind me has gotten to be unbearable. Its a problem that's not going away.

houstonspartan
11-18-2010, 05:55 PM
The biggest problem I have right now is the selling of season tickets to opposing teams fans. The row behind me has gotten to be unbearable. Its a problem that's not going away.

You know, I briefly thought about doing that with my Titans tickets, but then realized that they may be bought by some actual Titans fans. I can't stand Titans fans.

Texas T
11-18-2010, 06:02 PM
How many people that have been here from the beginning would leave just because of a lock out??

Not this guy!!

I'm here good, bad or ugly. Not that I'll always be happy with what is on the field but I will always root for them and be proud to do it.

eriadoc
11-18-2010, 06:04 PM
I already reached my point of no return with this team a coulpe years ago. I sold my season tickets after the Rosencopter game, and sold my PSLs after the season so someone else could renew the season tickets. I'm a fan for as long as they're in Houston, but I'm now the kind of fan that watches them really close-up in HD with a good beer in my hand that didn't cost me a bunch. And if I have to step away from the game for a minute, I pause the game.

If the owners lock out, I'll go fishing on Sundays. In fact, I'm going fishing this Sunday, foregoing the HD, since I have no expectation that they'll do anything but embarrass themselves against the Jets. The radio will have to suffice.

This team can have my fandom, but they don't get my heart and soul (and more importantly to them, my money) anymore until they earn it.

jaayteetx
11-18-2010, 06:23 PM
See, I hear that every year, but then, seems like almost everyone does because no one wants to lose their seats.

Ya, but its a little easier for me to mean it since I live in New Mexico.

TimeKiller
11-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Meh. I wish they would change the Texans name though. I feel like the whole city gets a bad wrap everytime they play. I'd literally rather watch a team called the Texas Thunderbears than the Houston Texans anymore.

What? Like they don't have a snuggly soft reputation? Break me off a piece of that kit kat bar....

False Start
11-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Meh. I wish they would change the Texans name though. I feel like the whole city gets a bad wrap everytime they play. I'd literally rather watch a team called the Texas Thunderbears than the Houston Texans anymore.

What? Like they don't have a snuggly soft reputation? Break me off a piece of that kit kat bar....

I have actually grown to like the nickname. Thunderbears sounds like a cartoon, lol. ;)

JB
11-18-2010, 07:00 PM
I have actually grown to like the nickname. Thunderbears sounds like a cartoon, lol. ;)

I didn't like the name at all until they unveiled the logo.

drs23
11-18-2010, 07:07 PM

I was kinda lukewarm on the name as well seeing that it's regurgitated and all but I'm with JB on the logo. It's the best in the NFL. My wife, who's not even into football loved it immediatly. She wants to have it airbrushed on her motorcycle.

Brisco_County
11-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Who else would you become a fan of? Another team that's on strike?

False Start
11-18-2010, 07:21 PM

Yeah, thats what did it for me too. The logo is just bad ass no doubt. I knew the day of the groundbreaking ceremony, it was going to be Texans, because McNair ended his speech with , "I'm proud to be a Houston Texan." He really emphasized it too. It was a dead give away to me.

Thorn
11-18-2010, 07:22 PM
texans fan for life! we could go 0-16 for the next 10 years and ill still be a texans fan

Same for me. But if that actually happened, I'd be a real asshole to put up with in here. :lol:

JB
11-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Yeah, thats what did it for me too. The logo is just bad ass no doubt. I knew the day of the groundbreaking ceremony, it was going to be Texans, because McNair ended his speech with , "I'm proud to be a Houston Texan." He really emphasized it too. It was a dead give away to me.

Yeah, I remember that. I was saying to myself... please, don't do that. that sounds terrible.

But the logo really tied it together.

TexanSam
11-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Why would anyone not be a Texans fan if there's a lockout? It's not like there would be anyone else to root for

drs23
11-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Why would anyone not be a Texans fan if there's a lockout? It's not like there would be anyone else to root for

How about the San Francisco Bay Area Bombers?? :kitten:

Joe Texan
11-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Dude I will tailgate on sunday's if lockout just have to set my own 18 game schedule

TexanSam
11-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Dude I will tailgate on sunday's if lockout just have to set my own 18 game schedule

Tailgate Football League. I predict Blue vs Orange in the Tailgate Super Bowl.

Giant Tiger
11-18-2010, 08:02 PM

Me, too. I grew up cheering for the Oilers, Expos & Nordiques. I was teamless for a while until the Texans were born & I'm a fan for life. Still no hockey team worth cheering for... yet ;)

ArlingtonTexan
11-18-2010, 08:55 PM
I am pro and college football fan and barring them hiring UFL/replacement players and passing it off as real football, i will always be a fan. it can go a way two or three years and I will be back. If I get a job in reasonable drivng distance of Houston, I will become a season ticket holder. I want to lie and tell you different, but it would be just that a lie.

Ranger Tom
11-18-2010, 08:58 PM
I will root for any team that represents Houston. It's where I was born, it's where I was brought up. Who else would I root for, the Cowboys?

Now, if a lockout happens, I'll spend a season as a fan of the Omaha Nighthawks, over in the UFL, before my Texans return. The 'Hawks are the only non-coastal team in that league right now.

kiwitexansfan
11-18-2010, 09:01 PM

I don't have the same attachment to the Texans as those of you who are from Texas or Houston specifically so I think my fandom is different.

I will support the Jersey pretty much no matter what just so I have a hook into the NFL.

JB
11-18-2010, 09:20 PM
As long as they are the Houston Texans, I will be a fan. And I will cheer and cuss and ***** and yell my lungs out just as hard as I can!

Corrosion
11-18-2010, 09:34 PM

Are you a transplant from New Orleans ?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxvukA2YfUK8-0R_q1LKuQbq6lhWtiwENwUy-xwiy0KL7eR3hi

Bout time they won something .....

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVOj2tHr-cJkMieGwZt1oHmgJmkarFzvBAy5wOg2qjV4OKTtMJvA

2slik4u
11-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Im no season ticket holder but you could bet your sweet ass I will be waiting with my cushing faux jersey on come opening day the first year school is back in session.

:whip:

Norg
11-18-2010, 11:46 PM
Im a season ticket holder

and i bet there is going to be a 10 games season or something

if thats the case they need to lower the price ALOT !!!!!!!

infact i kinda hope there is a lockout next year

1 we might make it to the play offs if we only have to play 10 games LOL

2 Money is kinda tight right now

Norg
11-18-2010, 11:47 PM
how many people that have been here from the beginning would leave just because of a lock out??

Not this guy!!

I'm here good, bad or ugly. Not that i'll always be happy with what is on the field but i will always root for them and be proud to do it.

amen !!!!!!!!!!

Allstar
11-18-2010, 11:53 PM
I fail to comprehend why anyone would stop being a Texans fan because of a lockout. This is our team, through thick and thin.

Dread-Head
11-19-2010, 12:02 AM
I'd still be here...especially if as a part of the negotiations the other 30 owners elected to beat and torture Jerry "The Lizzard King" Jones and Bud.

Big Lou
11-19-2010, 12:12 AM
I never thought this season would go like this. My question is if NFL owners decided to lock out for a season, would you be "ready for some football" a year later or be an ex-Texans fan? Most are pretty angry at McNair and I wonder if a missed season would be the straw that broke the camels back?

Uh, in a word, yes.

I don't understand how a lock out would be all McNairs fault, he is one side of two opposing forces. Are you saying this from the perspective that he locks out his team while other teams play?

As long as "Houston", is in front of Houston Texans.

Hell if there is a lock out, I'm trying out for the team!!!!! I just hope Mario, Smith, and Cody don't try to roll my pick up over in the parking lot.

Grams
11-19-2010, 06:49 AM
What does a lockout have to do with being a fan?

It just means a looooong off-season.

Ole Miss Texan
11-19-2010, 10:09 AM
I will always be a Texans fan. It would royally suck if there's a lockout next year, I would hate that... but I would continue to be a Texans fan. If we become a franchise like the Saints and never win a playoff game for 40 years... I would still be a fan. I would be an unhappy fan, I would cry a lot on Sundays... but it would allow me to learn many new curse words and I'd always be a fan of the Texans.

If what you're asking is related strictly to the lockout and nfl in general, I love football. I've lost touch of the NBA and MLB but if Houston has an NFL team - they will be my favorite team and I will always be a fan.

gtexan02
11-19-2010, 10:12 AM
The only way they would lose me as a fan as if they completely overhauled the roster while also having the lockout.

I no longer live in Houston, so the identity of the team I root for is players like Andre Johnson.

Lose him, and you start to remove my connection to the team. Less so for others, but the point remains.

I can't root for a logo alone

GP
11-19-2010, 10:20 AM
I think I might give it one more head coach, which would be roughly a 4-5 year trial of being a fan of this team.

If I see the same results with the NEXT head coach, then I will assume that the ownership and upper management is rotten and will never get it right.

So, if that happens, I won't whip myself for the rest of my life trying to hang on as a Texans fan. I doubt I will take on another team as my favorite. I'll just become an NFL fan and watch whatever games I feel will be the most entertaining.

I'm missing a lot of good football (via Sunday Ticket and all the games that are available to me every Sunday) due to trying to stomach a whole Texans game from start-to-finish.

I know this might upset a lot of you, but it is what it is. if I feel the ownership is the root of all problems, and since you can't fire the owner, then you're left with two choices: (1) Stay and be forever angry after almost every Sunday...with the resentment running all week long, then the process repeating itself all over again, or (2) Just come to grips with reality and lay down the crack pipe...watch other games. Enjoy life more.

I hope we get a TRUE head coach the next time around. The Mickey Mouse experiment of McNair--trying to unearth a "gem" of a head coach, instead of going BIG and BOLD--has to end after Kubiak. He's gotta' make a major splash, in my eyes, to be taken seriously as an NFL franchise owner.

Otherwise, the guy is who I have said he is: Concerned about stability and bottom line over anything else.

And THIS fan can't accept that sort of attitude from the owner. I don't want him going crazy and firing head coaches every two years. But I also don't want this glacial pace he's taking with Kubiak right now. It's obscene and insulting to the fans who really watch and care about this team. True?

Kaiser Toro
11-19-2010, 10:24 AM
I have made a commitment to this organization, in its current incarnation, fiscally and time wise.

To paraphrase Black Dynamite, "I'm gonna shake the tree from the roots and rake up the fruits, rip it up out of the ground, find out what's going down," until we get this thing right.

Texanmike02
11-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Texansfan4life@*****.*** is my email address. Nuff said.

Mike

badboy
11-19-2010, 04:55 PM
I seldom have any interest for any NBA, NFL or baseball game unless it is the Houston team or if the game's outcome has a very significant impact on my team. I'm a long time follower from the Houston Colts becoming Astros to Rockets giving away tickets for bread wrappers. I still read articles by John McClain when he talks about Bud Adams and Mr. Hunt starting the AFL. I was amused at the Luv Ya Blue bandwagon fans but moved over and gave them plenty of leg room. I hated when Judge Roy begin to lose to the creditors, Don Wilson committed suicide and the stroke of a very tall Astro pitcher who would have been the best pitcher of all times if only..

Then the Astros went on strike over glutony and after Uncle Draytie ran off Hunsicker, I just felt I was the kid saying "Thank you sir! May I have another." I now turn to other channels when radio guys start talking baseball.

And then Alexander fell in love with Yao and Yuan. I even forgave the Rockets for trading 3 first round picks for a sad lunatic. 1994 & 95 fade further into history and I never DREAM anymore.

Bud Adams spit on my blue suede shoes and moved to Tennessee and the years passed. Slowly. Then Robert 'Bob' McNair hit the resuscitate button and my EKG machine spiked. Football! Houston had football even if other sports teams had a bull, ours was the bestest, kick assiest looking ever. I made excuses for David Carr and was ridiculed on these pages. And now my "girlfriend" is telling me how valuable I am and "what's the limit on your credit card again, baby?"

It has been a long time since my mama put food on the table and said eat it or dinner is over. If I don't like what my sports teams are putting in front of me and right now I do not, I can find other things to do. My happiness is not tied to a ball of any shape.

I think a lock out by the NFL owners would have me saying "Take this sport and shove it. I ain't watching it no more."

DoCRoN
11-19-2010, 10:30 PM
always will be a texans fan, whenever, where ever.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this

imatexan
11-20-2010, 04:50 AM
As I have said before, as long as it says Houston in front of the name then I am a fan for life.

For that matter the name Texans because I can't imagine that would fly in any other state texanpride

rush2112mn
11-20-2010, 05:16 AM
I will always be a Texan fan lockout or not.....
Just hope there is not lockout......

Revolution
11-21-2010, 09:55 AM

Why would this make someone become an ex-Texans fan???? I can see you asking whether someone would stop being a fan of NFL football, but specifically the Texans? How are they any different than the other 31 teams? What would you do? Start following another NFL team because all 32 teams were involved in the lockout???

I am a TEXANS fan for life. The only thing that would stop me from being an NFL fan is if they change the sport to something that doesn't even resemble real football.

axman40
11-21-2010, 10:20 AM
If the lockout causes the loss of more than 4 games ,I will tune out the rest of the season.
If the NFL appoints an owner as the Commish that will be the day , I would stop paying attention to the NFL.
:twocents:

hradhak
11-21-2010, 10:20 AM
I will remain a Texans fan, but I'll be pissed about a lockout. If a lockout occurs, it'll take some time for the NFL to get back to its current revenue generation potential. Frankly, I don't care what the gripes the owners have, just shut up and play football. It's hard to be sympathetic when the teams are making millions every year.

I was too young to remember the last NFL strike, but I hope this one doesn't occur. I live for football every year, and college football isn't enough to get my fix. If the lockout occurs I'll support the Texans, but I'll probably stop watching all the other games it puts on.