PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the locker room

thunderkyss
11-14-2010, 09:21 PM
If you are Kubiak, what can you possibly say to keep this locker room?

Seriously, do you tear into their asses for losing the game?

Do you empathize with them, lick your wounds on the way home?

Do you look for the silver linings & look forward to next week?

Pantherstang84
11-14-2010, 09:26 PM

I think he may have lost it already. The players are not stupid and they know where the problems are. The defensive players know where the problems are and it isn't only on the players. The defense is so predictable and easy to read. You shake up your defensive staff. Some lambs have to be sacrificed even if they are your bros. That will do more to win back the locker room than anything that can be said.

Brisco_County
11-14-2010, 09:30 PM
This is where our team differs from the Cowboys. Wade Phillips is a good man who was about to be fired, and he didn't deserve to be humiliated by his own players like he was. Gary Kubiak is a good man who's about to be fired, and for that reason, this team will keep playing for him. I don't expect playing with broken fingers, but they'll do their job.

DX-TEX
11-14-2010, 09:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

:fans:

jshabang
11-14-2010, 09:39 PM
TK U ACTUALLY KEPT YA WORD...LOL

but seriously....i dont think hes lost the locker room....the players respect him.....i just think his coaching style is not a fit here anymore...the players are like kids in a classroom who know how to go thru the motions when the teacher is lookin and acting up when they turn there back

and kubes is not holding anybody accountable becuz hes a players coach..........and the players know it....so they not going full bore.....thats obvious.....its painfully obvious they are playing when they want and not playing at other times.....and nobodies going to do squat about it....and they know it...so why kill yaself play after play if u dont have to and there will be zero consequences

just my little conspiracy theory and imho

Mr. White
11-14-2010, 09:45 PM
My guess on the locker room environment is that the offense is probably extremely irritated with the defense.

The defense probably thinks their abortion of a season is more a result of poor coaching than poor play....everyone except Glover Quin.

Everyone knew it was time to produce this year and it's gotta kill them that it isn't happening.

Lucky
11-14-2010, 09:52 PM
It's one thing to talk the talk. Another to walk the walk. That can't be faked. And everyone on that team knows it.

NitroGSXR
11-14-2010, 10:06 PM
I would like Antonio Smith to hold Kubiak accountable with his fists. Kubiak so deserves a black eye.

Mr. White
11-14-2010, 10:06 PM
The past couple years, it seemed like the team fought for Kubes when their backs were really against the wall.

Let's suppose he gets them really fired up next week.....

then they come out of the locker room eatin' lightnin' and crappin' thunder.....

Then it sets in...."Oh, yeah....our defense is gonna have to get on the field in this game...." :gun:

Runner
11-14-2010, 10:12 PM
I think he lost the locker room last year.

Sure the players like him and stuff, but it was probably clear to them that his leadership couldn't take them any farther. Many fans saw this scenario playing out two seasons ago; last year's failure (I'm sorry, one game improvement against a cupcake schedule) made it very clear to many, many more outside observers that "building the right way" and "incremental improvement" were just Newspeak phrases.

Fans are very infatuated with and proud of their home town teams. Players don't make excuses for or spin constant mediocrity like fanatics do. Next to cashing their checks, they really want to win. They accept the cold hard truth that they are not on the right path much faster than fans.

The players knew this was broke long before many fans could admit it.

wagonhed
11-14-2010, 10:16 PM
I don't think the players will ever really give up on Kubes because they like him too much. However, they are certainly done giving 110% in my opinion.

Of course, not giving up isn't enough to win in the NFL. So I think we are going to keep losing and the players will keep at least pretending to play hard, but we won't get in the blow-out situation the Cowboys are in simply due to respect for Kubiak.

Carr Bombed
11-14-2010, 10:46 PM
I don't think the players will ever really give up on Kubes because they like him too much. However, they are certainly done giving 110% in my opinion.

Of course, not giving up isn't enough to win in the NFL. So I think we are going to keep losing and the players will keep at least pretending to play hard, but we won't get in the blow-out situation the Cowboys are in simply due to respect for Kubiak.

Arian Foster will not quit, Andre Johnson will not quit, I don't think anybody on the offense will quit or give in.

This is going to be one of those situations where possible factions will form. His offensive guys will stay loyal to him and play hard for him, but the defense will slowly lose all confidence and get beat like a drum all year and give in (if it hasn't happened already, I can't even tell) and if things really get bad you'll have the offense and defense starting to point fingers.

Norg
11-14-2010, 11:15 PM
THis is like a 98% built Kubes team all these players we either from the draft or from Denver or COlorado LOL

I dont think these players will turn on him whats happing is the coaches and the players are both sucking

and they know if a new regimne comes in slowly most of them will prob be gone has well

Norg
11-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Here is another Question do u think the O is getting tired of the D ??????

Carr Bombed
11-14-2010, 11:22 PM
THis is like a 98% built Kubes team all these players we either from the draft or from Denver or COlorado LOL

I dont think these players will turn on him whats happing is the coaches and the players are both sucking

and they know if a new regimne comes in slowly most of them will prob be gone has well

I don't think the players will turn on Kubiak per say, but I can see where the defense can might on Frank Bush and pack it in. You can only get beat like a drum for so long before you just give up. We need answers and without answers the defense might just shut it down.

Pantherstang84
11-15-2010, 06:36 AM
I don't think the players will turn on Kubiak per say, but I can see where the defense can might on Frank Bush and pack it in. You can only get beat like a drum for so long before you just give up. We need answers and without answers the defense might just shut it down.

Wait that hasn't happened yet?:wadepalm:

TheMatrix31
11-15-2010, 06:56 AM
I would like Antonio Smith to hold Kubiak accountable with his fists. Kubiak so deserves a black eye.

I'd like Antonio Smith to stop making that one really costly boneheaded mistake a game....

NitroGSXR
11-15-2010, 07:08 AM
I'd like Antonio Smith to stop making that one really costly boneheaded mistake a game....
Sure but he's not the problem. If you're that upset at his jump... don't know what to say. He's far from the weakest link on that defense... might even be the strongest link.

HTown2ATX
11-15-2010, 07:55 AM
TK?!? You're sporting the soap?

Never thought I'd see the day..... ;)

I need to pick a color then I'll have mine too.

Ole Miss Texan
11-15-2010, 08:40 AM
I'm not even going to pretend I know what's going on in that locker room or what the players feel. It's all behind closed doors and they're doing much more than we think. I don't for a second think the players blame Kubiak or are turning against him, though. I also have this feeling that the players know they're a good team and are underperforming - I think they're upset at themselves for not executing.

thunderkyss
11-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Here is another Question do u think the O is getting tired of the D ??????

If I were the D, I would be getting tired of the O.

thunderkyss
11-15-2010, 08:44 AM
TK?!? You're sporting the soap?

Never thought I'd see the day..... ;)

I need to pick a color then I'll have mine too.

I'm sporting the soap, but not feeling it yet.

I said something stupid last week (follow the link in my sig).

Avoiding a 3 game losing streak was my last bastian of Kubiak safety. But I'm giving it a couple of days before I say how I feel, don't want to be knee jerk about this.

It's only been 4.5 years.

HuttoKarl
11-15-2010, 08:48 AM
The soap feels good. It feels right.

Blake
11-15-2010, 08:49 AM
The players will care enough to end up 8-8. 2 Reliant Park. Where mediocrity lives.

HOU-TEX
11-15-2010, 08:56 AM
If I were the D, I would be getting tired of the O.

For what? Scoring too fast?

IIRC, the offense only had 3 possessions in the first half. Why is that? Nevermind, I'll answer before you ramble off some asinine excuse. It's because our defense can't get off the field to save their life. Yep, that juggernaut for an offense reemed our asses in every stat of the game, including TOP.

thunderkyss
11-15-2010, 09:42 AM
For what? Scoring too fast?

IIRC, the offense only had 3 possessions in the first half. Why is that? Nevermind, I'll answer before you ramble off some asinine excuse. It's because our defense can't get off the field to save their life. Yep, that juggernaut for an offense reemed our asses in every stat of the game, including TOP.

Hey..... if that's the case, I don't have a leg to stand on.....

With Jacksonville's stonewall defense..... what was I thinking?

Defense needs to get a stop every time, Offense, score whenever you want.

Never mind after all that scoring & not stopping the Jag's Juggernaut that it was 24-24 the ball in our hands with a chance to win the game.

This loss goes both ways, just like all our other losses.

houstonspartan
11-15-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm sporting the soap, but not feeling it yet.

I said something stupid last week (follow the link in my sig).

Avoiding a 3 game losing streak was my last bastian of Kubiak safety. But I'm giving it a couple of days before I say how I feel, don't want to be knee jerk about this.

It's only been 4.5 years.

So you're sporting the soap, but you still don't know how you feel? You don't want to be knee jerk, yet, you have an avatar that adovcates firing the coach?

Dude, pick a side already. That's freaking weak.

HOU-TEX
11-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Hey..... if that's the case, I don't have a leg to stand on.....

With Jacksonville's stonewall defense..... what was I thinking?

Defense needs to get a stop every time, Offense, score whenever you want.

Never mind after all that scoring & not stopping the Jag's Juggernaut that it was 24-24 the ball in our hands with a chance to win the game.

This loss goes both ways, just like all our other losses.

Our defense gives up just under 29 points per game which is 2nd worst in the league. Our offense scores over 24 points per game which might not be great, but still good for 10th in the league.

I know stats are just stats, but going by what I've seen the defense is pathetic.

thunderkyss
11-15-2010, 10:25 AM
So you're sporting the soap, but you still don't know how you feel? You don't want to be knee jerk, yet, you have an avatar that adovcates firing the coach?

Dude, pick a side already. That's freaking weak.

follow the link in my sig..... in that thread, I said if we have to score 30, I'll wear the soap & stop the sunshine......

it's not about picking sides. I know where I'm at.

thunderkyss
11-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Our defense gives up just under 29 points per game which is 2nd worst in the league. Our offense scores over 24 points per game which might not be great, but still good for 10th in the league.

I know stats are just stats, but going by what I've seen the defense is pathetic.

The defense is pathetic, I agree.

Not arguing that point. Their defense is as bad as ours. We were thought to have the better offense.

By the way, we had five offensive possesions in the first half. Four if you don't want to count the one before the half (38 seconds, even though we had 3 timeouts left, since we didn't try to score, I won't count it). 2 of the 4 were 3 & outs. The fourth series we ran all of 6 plays.

If only there was another way to win the TOP battle..... hmmmm, if the defense can't stop anyone... what can we do on offense to keep them off the field???

I'm coming up blank at the moment, gimme 4.5 years, I'm sure I'll come up with something.

Hervoyel
11-15-2010, 10:39 AM
I think that losing the locker room is something that happens before people realize it. The tipping point is easy to spot after the fact but before anyone is willing to say anything they're thinking it and it's already affecting their play. That's on an individual basis. Later they start talking to each other about it and that's another step along the way. Friends talk to each other first, then to other teammates they're less close to.

Being a known dissenter in something as tightly knit as a football team strives to be isn't something that most players would approach lightly.

I think he lost the locker room last year when we managed only 9 wins and lost a lot of games doing junk like having Chris Brown attempt that halfback pass. I also think that Arian Foster has been sitting on the bench with the practice squad for a year and practicing with these guys and they knew it. I don't think that his ability stayed under the radar all of last year among the players as we suffered through a lousy running game from Slaton and Brown.

Bad decisions and not playing guys who give you the best chance to win erode players confidence in a coach over time. This year I believe we're seeing some of the fruit of that wonky 2009 season.

devo-x
11-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Something needs to happen before the Jets game next week

Defensive Coaching staff change?
Players benched (held accountable)?
Scheme change?

badboy
11-15-2010, 02:38 PM
I wonder if Reliant has contacted McNair to re-negotiate a lower deal? "Energy" seems to be dropping so the cost should go down.

Kaiser Toro
11-15-2010, 03:22 PM
I was having a discussion on teams quitting the other day. Once they visually quit (Cowboys vs Packers being the freshest example) it signals a bottom and change is around the corner.

I don't think the Texans have quit. But we need to cut an appendage off to save Kubiak from himself.

drewmar74
11-15-2010, 03:24 PM

Scheme change?

Right.

But I wager nothing does happen. It'll be same old, same old against the JETS.

TheMatrix31
11-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Sure but he's not the problem. If you're that upset at his jump... don't know what to say. He's far from the weakest link on that defense... might even be the strongest link.

I am that upset. I recognize he does amazing things otherwise, but he really needs to stop the "Smith's Weekly-Boneheaded-Mistake (tm)". It goes right along with Schaub's Shitty-Throw-Of-The-Game (tm)

thunderkyss
11-15-2010, 07:48 PM

Scheme change?

I don't know how many people have ever actually took a young group of guys & helped them grow as players & a team. I know in a sports setting, it's much easier to generate the sense of team, but still difficult to get true teammanship.

I don't know if that's what is going on here, but I can see how it would apply.

If that is what is going on, then the message he's been sticking to all year long would be appropriate.

Nobody is going to come & save the season. He's forcing them to dig deep.

I'm not saying this is what is going on I'm not spreading sunshine, just can't think of any sane reason to stick with the guys he is sticking with. Top to bottom, you would think there should be some changes. Surely McNair is putting pressure on Kubiak to do something, the only way I can see Kubiak convincing the old man would be to Assure him this is the right course of action, and has to be done.

He's putting his job on the line, because he truly believes in his players.

Honoring Earl 34
11-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Bob will hand each player one of these .

http://www.flexpack.org/images/Public/juicyflex.jpg

thunderkyss
11-15-2010, 08:02 PM
I was having a discussion on teams quitting the other day. Once they visually quit (Cowboys vs Packers being the freshest example) it signals a bottom and change is around the corner.

I don't think the Texans have quit. But we need to cut an appendage off to save Kubiak from himself.

I don't think they've quit either. I'm just trying to imagine what he could possibly say to them to not lose them.

I heard the first part of the Owen Daniels show, and it seems whatever he told them, at least OD believes him. It wasn't about that last play, all the Texans seem to have rallied to & around Glover, which is a good thing.

owen said it wasn't on the defense alone, that there were plays the offense should have made as well.

We'll see next week, but so far it sounds like he said the right thing.

NitroGSXR
11-15-2010, 08:05 PM
I don't think they've quit either. I'm just trying to imagine what he could possibly say to them to not lose them.

I heard the first part of the Owen Daniels show, and it seems whatever he told them, at least OD believes him. It wasn't about that last play, all the Texans seem to have rallied to & around Glover, which is a good thing.

owen said it wasn't on the defense alone, that there were plays the offense should have made as well.

We'll see next week, but so far it sounds like he said the right thing.

Owen Daniels didn't play so he needs to STFU.

Texan_Bill
11-15-2010, 08:17 PM

Keep the locker room? He can't keep his job. I don't think the players will turn on him, but by the same token it's his lack of accountability or holding people accountable that's the problem. The players love the fact that he constantly takes the fall (i.e.) "that's on me".. So, no. He didn't lose the locker room, what he lost was his job (at least here).

Yes... Hold people accountable. That's one of the biggest problems with Kubes always saying "that's on me". Yeah, sometimes it is on you, other times it's on paid professionals to make plays. Call them out.

No. Empathize?? Maybe. However, this is more like sympathize and therefore making excuses for your players. There's a way to say, "I feel bad for the kid, but he just needs to make a play there". That's empathy. What we get is, "the kid tried to make a play and it just didn't work out. We gotta get that cleaned up". That's sympathy and / or apathy.

NO.... There is no silver lining in 4-5. Especially considering a couple of those games were winnable, they should have been wins!

JB
11-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Keep the locker room? He can't keep his job. I don't think the players will turn on him, but by the same token it's his lack of accountability or holding people accountable that's the problem. The players love the fact that he constantly takes the fall (i.e.) "that's on me".. So, no. He didn't lose the locker room, what he lost was his job (at least here).

Yes... Hold people accountable. That's one of the biggest problems with Kubes always saying "that's on me". Yeah, sometimes it is on you, other times it's on paid professionals to make plays. Call them out.

No. Empathize?? Maybe. However, this is more like sympathize and therefore making excuses for your players. There's a way to say, "I feel bad for the kid, but he just needs to make a play there". That's empathy. What we get is, "the kid tried to make a play and it just didn't work out. We gotta get that cleaned up". That's sympathy and / or apathy.

NO.... There is no silver lining in 4-5. Especially considering a couple of those games were winnable, they should have been wins!

Whatcha tryin' to say there Bill? :smiliedance:

Texan_Bill
11-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Whatcha tryin' to say there Bill? :smiliedance:

That, as a one time supporter of Kubiak, I'm pissed that he always said "that's on me", instead of ever calling out players or coaches and holding them accountable..... That's my biggest problem.

Of the nine seasons, this is above and beyond my most dissapointing season. They have the talent. That said, we knew the defense would struggle, but really? Really?? 400+ yards per game??? Ineffeciency at key moments at the end of halves???

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'!!!

Carr Bombed
11-15-2010, 09:13 PM
edit

thunderkyss
11-15-2010, 09:25 PM
That, as a one time supporter of Kubiak, I'm pissed that he always said "that's on me", instead of ever calling out players or coaches and holding them accountable..... That's my biggest problem.

Of the nine seasons, this is above and beyond my most dissapointing season. They have the talent. That said, we knew the defense would struggle, but really? Really?? 400+ yards per game??? Ineffeciency at key moments at the end of halves???

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'!!!

If you want to beat the Colts, you have to be able to score 30 points.

Been that way for years.

We were built to beat the Colts, not defensively, like the Titans or the oldJags, but offensively we were built to go toe to toe with the Colts.

If we aren't scoring 30 points a game, don't blame the defense.

I know that sounds stupid, & most of you think I'm crazy (or worse) for saying it, but it is what it is. It's the same problem we've been having for years, except in previous years. It was our inability to extend a lead.

Go back, & look at all our first half games, were in most of them, down by 10' down by 13 & in each one of those, you'll see our defense had got us stops where we could be tied, or leading going into halftime.

I think the worse game, was the Giants, & the defense opened the second half with enough plays for us to tie the game before the third Qtr was over.

I understand if the Defense sucks for 2 Qtrs you got 24 points on the board, & you can't just make them go away. For the next two Qtrs, you can force 2 INTs, 3 punts & only allow 10 points, but you still had a bad game.
If the offense sucks for three Qtrs, how do you know? This offense can come back & score 21-24 points in the 4th, and make everything look OK.

But it's not okay, we'd have lost that game if we held the Giants to two Field Goals & a TD.