PDA

View Full Version : Glover Quinn: Poster child of the year.

alphajoker
11-14-2010, 03:12 PM
We'll probably be seeing this highlight for years to come. I mean, I understand the CB's are taught to knock the ball down on a hail mary but to "spike" it directly to the other team's WR? Total head palm :kubepalm:

ATXtexanfan
11-14-2010, 03:13 PM
shows its ugly face

gwallaia
11-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Glover is a stupid name.

BullsOnParade
11-14-2010, 03:17 PM
What an *****... why didn't he just catch the damn ball? Way to go Glover Quin; that will be the highlight of the year.

Ryan
11-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Well it looks like he has a bright future as a professional volleyball player.

PockyAF
11-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Honestly, I don't even blame Quin for that play. Like said, they were taught to bat the ball down. He was concentrating on the ball, playing full speed; it's hard to know your surrounding when your whole attention is on the airborne ball. It could of just as well been an INT for us.

I to my blame to our other defenders who quit on that play, instead of making a wall around where the ball should of been batted down to. Notice on the replay Cushing about two other Texans defender walking around while the ball was in the air, 10 yards out from the EZ. If they were closer to the play, they might of knock the ball out of Thomas hands, or even int that play.

They were thinking about OT on the last play instead on concentrating on not allowing a freak play like that happening.

Maddict5
11-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Well it looks like he has a bright future as a professional volleyball player.

eventhough im near suicidal after the game, that made me lol. rep

ATXtexanfan
11-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Honestly, I don't even blame Quin for that play. Like said, they were taught to bat the ball down. He was concentrating on the ball, playing full speed; it's hard to know your surrounding when your whole attention is on the airborne ball. It could of just as well been an INT for us.

I to my blame to our other defenders who quit on that play, instead of making a wall around where the ball should of been batted down to. Notice on the replay Cushing about two other Texans defender walking around while the ball was in the air, 10 yards out from the EZ. If they were closer to the play, they might of knock the ball out of Thomas hands, or even int that play.

They were thinking about OT on the last play instead on concentrating on not allowing a freak play like that happening.

problem was he wasnt in the middle of a pile, that ball would have hit the ground if he didnt make the pick, ughhhhhh

Carr Bombed
11-14-2010, 03:23 PM
eventhough im near suicidal after the game, that made me lol. rep

I stopped caring weeks ago......All I do is laugh now. I'm actually hoping this continues, because it's the only way we're ever going to rid ourselves of that Aggie loser on the sidelines.

buddyboy
11-14-2010, 03:25 PM
I don't understand people who are crying that he batted it straight to another player. Do you want him to take his eyes off the ball and look around before deciding where to bat it? To those wanting him to bat it out of bounds, I figure hitting a ball perpendicular to its motion is MAYBE a bit harder than batting it directly.

gwallaia
11-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Glover is going to get booed so bad when the Texans come back to Reliant to lose to the Titans.

DexmanC
11-14-2010, 03:32 PM

Aren't the coaches supposed to make sure the players know and are
focused on the situation?

texanhead08
11-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Everyone knows that DB's are taught to knock the ball down in that situation. If he tries to catch it and bobbles it and the Jags catch it off the deflection all you wanna be coaches would be screaming why didn't he knock it down. When the end result is a loss it doesn't matter how it happened its still a loss.

ArlingtonTexan
11-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Glover is going to get booed so bad when the Texans come back to Reliant to lose to the Titans.

Quin is going to be goat for the lazy minded, but really there were four to five mistakes made in the last 30 seconds of play which put the Jax in position to even attempt that throw.

Brisco_County
11-14-2010, 04:47 PM
I'm not blaming Quin. It was a freak occurrence, and it should not have come down to that. I blame the coaches who only played for one half.

gtexan02
11-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Why it was Glover Quinn's Fault:

1. He could have easily caught the ball and ended the game.
2. He could have easily batted the ball with force. Ive seen children's volleyball players spike balls with more auhtority.
3. he could have easily batted the ball out of bounds, behind him, or to th eside. Why would you hit it directly into a group of jacksonville players? It makes no sense

Im sorry, ubt its definiately at least partly on him

DexmanC
11-14-2010, 04:53 PM

2. He could have easily batted the ball with force. Ive seen children's volleyball players spike balls with more auhtority.
3. he could have easily batted the ball out of bounds, behind him, or to th eside. Why would you hit it directly into a group of jacksonville players? It makes no sense

Meh. We forget this was all started with the Dreessen Drop.

Blake
11-14-2010, 04:56 PM
None of our corners played well. And I am not going to pin this loss on Glovers game ending spike. I still put this fully on the Texans being down 3-17 in the first half. How many times do we have to fight out of a hole in the 2nd half?

MEGA SWATT
11-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Everyone knows that DB's are taught to knock the ball down in that situation. If he tries to catch it and bobbles it and the Jags catch it off the deflection all you wanna be coaches would be screaming why didn't he knock it down. When the end result is a loss it doesn't matter how it happened its still a loss.

well said.

Rey
11-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Dumb move by Quinn...Dumb move by the Texans coaches...

The receivers on a hail mary are taught to trail the play and look for the ball on the rebound....

As a DB you SHOULD know that. You should be expecting the receivers to try and catch the ball on the rebound.. Why you bat the ball away in that manner is just perplexing to me. Bat it away from the defenders if you're going to bat it.

Stupid.

The entire team is just dumb as far as I'm concerned. Some great talent on both sides of the ball, but the collective stupidity of the coaches and some of the players is just overwhelming.

Mr teX
11-14-2010, 05:23 PM

1. He could have easily caught the ball and ended the game...game doesn't end we go to OT
2. He could have easily batted the ball with force. Ive seen children's volleyball players spike balls with more auhtority. fair enough
3. he could have easily batted the ball out of bounds, behind him, or to th eside. Why would you hit it directly into a group of jacksonville players? It makes no sense...lol, OK

I can see how you can blame him for maybe not batting it harder or at least being cognizant of where he was batting it, but c'mon man.

Revolution
11-14-2010, 05:25 PM

Explain exactly to me how that would have ended the game?

Rey
11-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Mr Tex it is not hard at all to bat the ball away from the defenders no matter how far the ball is coming from. It was a dumb play by him. Plain and simple.

And while we're on it, I would have actually liked for them to show some aggressiveness there and actually pick the ball off and try to run it back. No one wants to go to over time.

Marcus
11-14-2010, 05:26 PM
The only thing that's stupid is the morons who think this was Quin's fault.

It was a freak play. Nothing more.

I mean, what is it about losing a football game that causes some of you to also lose your common sense?

Rey
11-14-2010, 05:29 PM

I mean, what is it about losing a football game that causes some of you to also lose your common sense?

No...It was indeed a dumb move by Quinn and anyone who says otherwise does not have a clue....

Quinn will never do that again if put in that situation...Why? Because he made a mistake. A bad mistake.

You do not bat the ball into the group of trailing receivers. If Quinn doesn't learn from that stupid mistake then that'd be kinda sad.

He was not aware of the situation and what was happening around him and it cost the team. It is not hard to bat the ball towards the sideline or completely out of bounds. Not hard at all.

But he lacked awareness in that situation.

Mr teX
11-14-2010, 05:33 PM
Mr Tex it is not hard at all to bat the ball away from the defenders no matter how far the ball is coming from. It was a dumb play by him. Plain and simple.

And while we're on it, I would have actually liked for them to show some aggressiveness there and actually pick the ball off and try to run it back. No one wants to go to over time.

C'mon man, you're talking about the worst db's in the league. They can't even get in position to bat a ball from a WR. 2nd of all, WR's have trouble reeling in 50+ yd bombs with people around them..you think that a db (much less 1 on this team) was going to reel that in without bobbling it & giving a jag WR a shot at it? There's a reason ST guys spend hours practicing tracking & catching balls on punts & kickoffs & still muff them at times.

He did what he was supposed to do & 9 out of 10 times that's not gonna be the outcome. You think he intentionally wanted to bat the ball to the guy?

Rey
11-14-2010, 05:37 PM
C'mon man, you're talking about the worst db's in the league. They can't even get in position to bat a ball from a WR. 2nd of all, WR's have trouble reeling in 50+ yd bombs with people around them..you think that a db (much less 1 on this team) was going to reel that in without bobbling it & giving a jag WR a shot at it? There's a reason ST guys spend hours practicing tracking & catching balls on punts & kickoffs & still muff them at times.

He did what he was supposed to do & 9 out of 10 times that's not gonna be the outcome.

Have no clue what you're talking about with punt returners...or whatever...???

Please look at the play again. Quinn could have caught the ball and lit a cigarette in mid air.

He was the only one that initially had a chance at the ball.

And no he didn't do what he was supposed to do. You are not supposed to bat the ball into the jumble of receivers trailing the play...That is just elementary...

You know the other receivers are going to be trailing...Why would you bat it straight into them like that? And it was such a gingerly spike down at that...

There is no way to spin it, Quinn made a mistake there. If he wasn't going to catch it, he could have easily knocked it towards the sideline instead of towards the middle of the field.

Go back and look at the play if you can stomach it. Quinn could have done anything he wanted to with that ball.

hradhak
11-14-2010, 05:42 PM

Please look at the play again. Quinn could have caught the ball and lit a cigarette in mid air.

And no he didn't do what he was supposed to do. You are not supposed to bat the ball into the jumble of receivers trailing the play...That is just elementary...

You know the other receivers are going to be trailing...Why would you bat it straight into them like that? And it was such a gingerly spike down at that...

There is no way to spin it, Quinn made a mistake there. If he wasn't going to catch it, he could have easily knocked it towards the sideline instead of towards the middle of the field.

Go back and look at the play if you can stomach it. Quinn could have done anything he wanted to with that ball.

Agreed Quin made the mistake. There were 60+ plays our defense made (or I should say didn't make) before that play happened that lost us this game. Yes this loss was on Quin...and everyone else on the defense.

Marcus
11-14-2010, 05:43 PM
No...It was indeed a dumb move by Quinn and anyone who says otherwise does not have a clue....

Quinn will never do that again if put in that situation...Why? Because he made a mistake. A bad mistake.

You do not bat the ball into the group of trailing receivers. If Quinn doesn't learn from that stupid mistake then that'd be kinda sad.

He was not aware of the situation and what was happening around him and it cost the team. It is not hard to bat the ball towards the sideline or completely out of bounds. Not hard at all.

That's bullshit! He was trying to bat the ball down to the ground. Period. Just because the ball didn't go where he wanted it to go, doesn't mean jack about "being aware of where everyone else is at".

You're the one that ain't got a clue. It was a freak play and that's all it was.

Norg
11-14-2010, 05:43 PM
We needed at least KW or AJ on that last play

just for a hands type team on that play thats something im dissopinted about

Rey
11-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Agreed Quin made the mistake. There were 60+ plays our defense made (or I should say didn't make) before that play happened that lost us this game. Yes this loss was on Quin...and everyone else on the defense.

Oh no...This loss is not on Quinn...Nowhere close...

He could have helped out a bit more, but even if he does the right thing there and bat it down harder and away from the group of WR's trailing the play there is no guarantee we win it in overtime...

Rey
11-14-2010, 05:50 PM
That's bullshit! He was trying to bat the ball down to the ground. Period. Just because the ball didn't go where he wanted it to go, doesn't mean jack about "being aware of where everyone else is at".

You're the one that ain't got a clue. It was a freak play and that's all it was.

Marcus, you are showing your ignorance towards this topic.

WR's are taught to trail the play on hail mary's...The QB is generally not trying to hit any receiver in particular, but rather throw it into the crowd and hope one comes up with it. On that particular play it looked like the corner that was up on the receiver got beat and Garard was trying to get it to that particular receiver. But that still doesn't change the fact that the other receivers are automatically going to trail the ball.

There is no way you, or anyone else not named Glover Quinn is going to convince me that he couldn't have hit that ball in a different direction. As a DB you HAVE to know that you cannot bat the ball in the direction of the receivers that will be inevitably trailing the play.

Fluke play or not, I bet you Quinn never does that again. He will never bat the ball into receivers trailing the play, ever again. He will make sure that he bats it so that they cannot catch the ball. I will bet you that even Quinn will say that he could have done a better job on that play.

Norg
11-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Should of baseball batted it to the Side lines into the stands thats what i would have done but thats just me DOnt bat it anywhere Near a Teel Hat IMO thats just dangerous

DexmanC
11-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Oh no...This loss is not on Quinn...Nowhere close...

He could have helped out a bit more, but even if he does the right thing there and bat it down harder and away from the group of WR's trailing the play there is no guarantee we win it in overtime...

This game was lost long before the Quin deflection. It was lost holding
3 timeouts before the half. It was also lost when Dreessen fumbled
the ball while in fieldgoal range. It was lost when Antonio Smith
jumped offsides, giving Garrard enough room to fit the ball into the endzone.

Garrard had 347 passing yards.

Andre Johnson committed pass interference on a Foster screen.

We had MJD doing http://i51.tinypic.com/9a7fq8.jpg whenever he felt like it.

On, and on, and on...

Mr teX
11-14-2010, 05:55 PM

the WR's & RBs who have to field balls like the one that he apparently would've caught or batted so easily every game have trouble catching balls cleanly from that kind of distance. So why in the hell would any of you think that he would've made that play in his sleep. Again, the old saying, there's a reason he's a db & not a WR.

The fact that the ball didn't go straight to the ground & that it was such a weak bat down proves my point. It's not as easy as it looks trying to re-route a ball coming straight down from that distance with that kind of force, much less with guys around you ready to knock the holy hell out of you.

Rey
11-14-2010, 05:57 PM
the WR's & RBs who have to field balls like the one that he apparently would've caught or batted so easily every game have trouble catching balls cleanly from that kind of distance. So why in the hell would any of you think that he would've made that play in his sleep. Again, the old saying, there's a reason he's a db & not a WR.

The fact that the ball didn't go straight to the ground & that it was such a weak bat down proves my point. It's pretty tough to do anything to a ball that's coming out from that distance with that kind of force, much less with guys around you ready to knock the holy hell out of you.

Right...It's tough to do anything with a ball coming from that distance...Except guys catch it all the time from that distance. A few drops and muffed punts does not prove your point at all. Plenty of players cleanly handle the ball from that distance.

And I refuse to believe that poor little Quinn couldn't bat the ball towards the sideline because "the ball was coming from so far out", but the receiver had no problem catching the ball off of the rebound and running into the EZ....Please, give me a break.

We can agree to disagree. I've said my piece on this. Quinn messed up on that play, He knows it, the coaches know it, his teammates know it...And well...I know it...

Hopefully he doesn't beat himself up too bad because this loss was not because of his mistake.

JB
11-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Aren't the coaches supposed to make sure the players know and are
focused on the situation?

You can't put that last play on the coaches. the rest of the game yeah. Their training, or lack thereof, yeah.

Hervoyel
11-14-2010, 06:21 PM

I don't know, I think it's pretty clear that Quin lost the game on that one play. It resulted in a touchdown for the Jaguars that beat us. Tough to argue with that.

Now I'm not saying a number of other players and a coach or two didn't already lose the game a few times before that happened but damn, to have the ball hit you square in the hands with nobody around you (except for a teammate behind you) and then to choose to not even attempt to catch it. WTF? Catching it kills the drive and takes you to overtime where some other Texans player can then lose the game for us.

So many mistakes made all over the place, I get what you're saying but damn, that was epic-stupid of Quin to do that in my opinion. Catch the damn ball!

JB
11-14-2010, 06:23 PM
I don't know, I think it's pretty clear that Quin lost the game on that one play. It resulted in a touchdown for the Jaguars that beat us. Tough to argue with that.

Now I'm not saying a number of other players and a coach or two didn't already lose the game a few times before that happened but damn, to have the ball hit you square in the hands with nobody around you (except for a teammate behind you) and then to choose to not even attempt to catch it. WTF? Catching it kills the drive and takes you to overtime where some other Texans player can then lose the game for us.

So many mistakes made all over the place, I get what you're saying but damn, that was epic-stupid of Quin to do that in my opinion. Catch the damn ball!

Yeah, I think he panicked.

Mr teX
11-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Right...It's tough to do anything with a ball coming from that distance...Except guys catch it all the time from that distance. A few drops and muffed punts does not prove your point at all. Plenty of players cleanly handle the ball from that distance.

And I refuse to believe that poor little Quinn couldn't bat the ball towards the sideline because "the ball was coming from so far out", but the receiver had no problem catching the ball off of the rebound and running into the EZ....Please, give me a break.

We can agree to disagree. I've said my piece on this. Quinn messed up on that play, He knows it, the coaches know it, his teammates know it...And well...I know it...

Hopefully he doesn't beat himself up too bad because this loss was not because of his mistake.

Ummm those plenty of players are most often a WR/RB & they practice & get paid to do just that...& many still struggle to do it.

I'm not saying that a db/quinn isn't capable, but it ain't just go out there & catch it much less a 50 yd bomb. If it were that easy, coaches would just stick a DT or some other non-offense player back there.

THis is my question however, how would you have felt if he tried to catch it, bobbled it & went right into 1 of the jag wr's hands? I'm going purely off of my years of watching football, but i'm fairly sure that that scenario has happened & resulted in a TD far more often than what happened to us in this game.

CharloTex
11-14-2010, 07:06 PM
You can't put that last play on the coaches. the rest of the game yeah. Their training, or lack thereof, yeah.

The heck you can't. The player needs to be coached to use the most effective manuever to win/preserve the game. If that is batting it down, and I don't agree that in that situation it is, but if it is batting it down, than the principals of batting were not taught and learned by Glover Q. The ball was batted into a group of players. Even if Glover's eyes and ears were closed, he knew there was a group of players in front of him, waiting to grab the ball. He needed to bat the ball in any other direction, with authority, and hard, towards the ground, not towards the opposit end zone. That's what I would have done, and I haven't been coached at all.

This is not on Glover Q. He's a 2nd year player who hasn't been coached to be any better than he is. Just like Chris Brown last year, who was a (6-8 year?) player and didn't know to throw the ball out of bounds instead of throwing it to a defending Jag last year. Because he hadn't been coached on the finer aspects of that i d io t play. And there are so many, many examples that are the exact same, in this game alone. Someone (how about the coaching staff) tell Antonio Smith that the only thing that can kill us RIGHT NOW is if you are off sides and move them 5 yards closer to the end zone. These guys just are not coached on the finer points. If they are, then Gary Kubiak, stand up and say so. Bench the offenders that aren't listening to your repeated teachings.

ThaShark316
11-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Funny how everyone's calling it luck...except dumb ass Texan fans...I swear we're aggy.

ATXtexanfan
11-14-2010, 07:14 PM

wow, you said quinn lost the game on that last play??? say its knocked down...then jax wins the toss...you betting your kids that the texans D gets the ball back? lets negate the dresson fumble right?

ATXtexanfan
11-14-2010, 07:17 PM

rey, your making a fool of yourself, please stop

ThaShark316
11-14-2010, 07:24 PM
rey, your making a fool of yourself, please stop

shhh dont tell him

JB
11-14-2010, 07:46 PM
The heck you can't. The player needs to be coached to use the most effective manuever to win/preserve the game. If that is batting it down, and I don't agree that in that situation it is, but if it is batting it down, than the principals of batting were not taught and learned by Glover Q. The ball was batted into a group of players. Even if Glover's eyes and ears were closed, he knew there was a group of players in front of him, waiting to grab the ball. He needed to bat the ball in any other direction, with authority, and hard, towards the ground, not towards the opposit end zone. That's what I would have done, and I haven't been coached at all.

This is not on Glover Q. He's a 2nd year player who hasn't been coached to be any better than he is. Just like Chris Brown last year, who was a (6-8 year?) player and didn't know to throw the ball out of bounds instead of throwing it to a defending Jag last year. Because he hadn't been coached on the finer aspects of that i d io t play. And there are so many, many examples that are the exact same, in this game alone. Someone (how about the coaching staff) tell Antonio Smith that the only thing that can kill us RIGHT NOW is if you are off sides and move them 5 yards closer to the end zone. These guys just are not coached on the finer points. If they are, then Gary Kubiak, stand up and say so. Bench the offenders that aren't listening to your repeated teachings.

Did you not read my entire post?

BullNation4Life
11-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Anybody blaming Glover Quinn either is an moron or has never played football. No freaking way this falls even remotely on Quinn's shoulders, not even close. Quinn did exactly what he has been taught since junior high, knock the ball down and to expect him to , while in mid air, look to see where/who he is batting the ball down to is asinine.

I understand fans are mad but be made at the things that led up to that freak play that lost the game. I can name 10 plays at least, that would have never came down to a hail mary pass for a freak TD to lose the game....

so with that I :kubepalm: this entire thread...

OzzO
11-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Glover, just wanted to thank you for taking the heat off me for at least a week.

Signed, Karewsk r;kfv (crud, sorry - I fell)

Signed, Kareem

CharloTex
11-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Did you not read my entire post?

No, I didn't. I was too mad by your first statement. Anyway, I agree with you. So, ditto.

JB
11-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Anybody blaming Glover Quinn either is an moron or has never played football. No freaking way this falls even remotely on Quinn's shoulders, not even close. Quinn did exactly what he has been taught since junior high, knock the ball down and to expect him to , while in mid air, look to see where/who he is batting the ball down to is asinine.

I understand fans are mad but be made at the things that led up to that freak play that lost the game. I can name 10 plays at least, that would have never came down to a hail mary pass for a freak TD to lose the game....

so with that I :kubepalm: this entire thread...

There have been other coaches saying they are taught to catch the ball unless in distress, then they bat it down. Quinn in no way under distress, and had to no that no one was behind him.

Mr teX
11-14-2010, 08:24 PM
There have been other coaches saying they are taught to catch the ball unless in distress, then they bat it down. Quinn in no way under distress, and had to no that no one was behind him.

Its a tricky issue..i've heard coaches & players say that he should've caught it & then others say that he did what he did. I think its just the fact that what happened happened is why everyone is 2nd guessing.

If he bats it down & it goes straight to the ground, but we still lose the game this isn't even talked about.

Htownsportsfan
11-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Once again the Texans defense fails to get a stop and the wrong guy gets all the blame. Quinn did what every coach who plans to make it past pee wee football teaches his players to do. However as it always seems to be with the Defense only one guy seemed to do the right thing. Where we the other defensive players whose job it is to wall off the receivers so they cant get a clean shot at the deflected ball. I was actually calling Del Rio an ***** for not taking a knee when they decided to run that first play thinking he learned nothing from watching how many times trying to do to much comes back to haunt you. I was reminded of two things today, First I am a dumb ass, second I am a die hard fan of a football team that is going to kick me in the nuts week in and week out!

Week after week players drop easy catches, RB's and TE's fail to pick up the blitz, or its a fumble, a false start, offsides yada yada yada.

Last verse same as the first!!! Same shit only this time it was a lucky ass play that even the Jags called Lucky! I believe MJD (aka the little ball of hate) laughed and said he was already booking his flight to the ESPYS.

I know shit like this happens in other cities but damn it seems like it happens here more often than it should.

Marcus
11-14-2010, 09:01 PM
I don't know, I think it's pretty clear that Quin lost the game on that one play. It resulted in a touchdown for the Jaguars that beat us.

Well .. no shit, Herv. :rolleyes:

"Tough to argue about that!"

What the argument is about, is the inability of some around here to tell the difference between a bone-headed play, and a freak play that resulted in dumb luck.

76Texan
11-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Once again the Texans defense fails to get a stop and the wrong guy gets all the blame. Quinn did what every coach who plans to make it past pee wee football teaches his players to do. However as it always seems to be with the Defense only one guy seemed to do the right thing. Where were the other defensive players whose job it is to wall off the receivers so they cant get a clean shot at the deflected ball. I was actually calling Del Rio an ***** for not taking a knee when they decided to run that first play thinking he learned nothing from watching how many times trying to do to much comes back to haunt you. I was reminded of two things today, First I am a dumb ass, second I am a die hard fan of a football team that is going to kick me in the nuts week in and week out!

Week after week players drop easy catches, RB's and TE's fail to pick up the blitz, or its a fumble, a false start, offsides yada yada yada.

Last verse same as the first!!! Same shit only this time it was a lucky ass play that even the Jags called Lucky! I believe MJD (aka the little ball of hate) laughed and said he was already booking his flight to the ESPYS.

I know shit like this happens in other cities but damn it seems like it happens here more often than it should.

I would agree with the bolded part.
Cushing stopped following the play; he's probably the one who could help the most.
McMannis shouldn't just look at the ball; he should turn immediately around to look for somebody to knock the hell out of.
McCain was overmatched from the start; but still could have followed his man closer to the vest in case things like this happen so he can jump on the guy.

In the press conference, Kubiak said that in such situation, the DB can either catch the ball or bat it down. If the DB is not in a distress situation, he was taught to catch the ball.

The game was not lost on one play; but still, in this one play, Quin certainly did not do what he was taught to.
(Kubiak even started by saying that the last play was inexcusable.)

thunderkyss
11-14-2010, 09:33 PM
We had MJD doing http://i51.tinypic.com/9a7fq8.jpg whenever he felt like it.

Can't argue with that.

BullNation4Life
11-14-2010, 09:50 PM

BS simply BS and trying to make Glover Quinn the scapegoat in the loss is even deeper BS...

Glover Quinn did the right thing, period, it just so happen to fall into the waiting arms of a JAX WR. You do the exact same thing 100 times out of 100 and that ball doesn't fall into another players arms....

JB
11-14-2010, 09:53 PM
BS simply BS and trying to make Glover Quinn the scapegoat in the loss is even deeper BS...

Glover Quinn did the right thing, period, it just so happen to fall into the waiting arms of a JAX WR. You do the exact same thing 100 times out of 100 and that ball doesn't fall into another players arms....

Why don't you try reading what his own coach had to say about it...

In the press conference, Kubiak said that in such situation, the DB can either catch the ball or bat it down. If the DB is not in a distress situation, he was taught to catch the ball.

Carr Bombed
11-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Why don't you try reading what his own coach had to say about it...

Just save tell us what "Strawberry Short bus" had to say. I'm sure it was uplifting and motivational.

JB
11-14-2010, 09:58 PM
Just save tell us what "Strawberry Short bus" had to say. I'm sure it was uplifting and motivational.

See my edited post

Carr Bombed
11-14-2010, 10:14 PM

Did anybody tell him that you're taught to run in short yardage situations.....especially when you have a back whose putting up a record season? Did anybody tell him that your taught if your guards are getting owned inside, it doesn't hurt to use the actual strength of your Oline (and a aspect of your line which is actually elite) and use your tackles (who just might be the best run blocking tackle tandem in the league), even if they BOTH (yes BOTH) struggle in pass protection.

This guy is a joke, Kubiak is a joke....His offense reminds me of what the Rockets look like. (I'll get to that later) I know this defense has been bad, but if you get down to the nuts and bolts of it. The offense hasn't been that much better. (and please don't post stats, I don't give a damn how great stats say their offense is.) The offense has been horrible this year. Oh they have talent, don't get me wrong, this team HAS talent on that side of the ball....and they put up numbers, but the numbers always feel empty.

The problem is, is that they're coached by a guy who doesn't know WTF he wants to do on that side of the ball and doesn't know what kind of identity he wants this team to take. Like the Rockets' offense, it seems like the "rotation" changes (if that metaphor" makes any sense). Are we a passing team or are we a running team?......I would really like to know, because until that question is answered we can't concentrate on being great at one and establishing a true "identity". We were better offensively when we didn't have a running game. This is why I'm completely off Kubiak's bandwagon and not only off of it, but I already hitchhiked 3 states over. The man can't seem to run a total offense with any consistentcy....and if things don't work out I can feel his panic and anxiety through my damn T.V. screen. You know what he looks like this season, a man who has no answers and a man whose caving in under the pressure. There won't be any late season heroics/rally this year.......this is the year that the house will fall in on Kubiak. Ala Capers 2005, just without a 2-14 record.

Atleast I still have faith in Adelman and know that he'll figure it out (I still have Houston in the playoffs). Rick Adelman>>> than anything Kubiak could pull off, very talented offensive mind, just simply not a head coach.

BoltWalt
11-14-2010, 10:14 PM

I hate to have to say it but it looks as if it will be a real struggle to reach 5-7. With the Jets, Titans, and Eagles being your next three opponents all of which are racing towards the playoffs. Good luck!

TexanBacker93
11-14-2010, 10:21 PM
After watching him adjusting his arm pads during a play that went for a TD last week and now this play I have to say it's time for him to go. There isn't a decent corner on the roster. Glover Quin you suck.

TexanBacker93
11-14-2010, 10:22 PM

Except he directed it at the player. Anyone else would have been able to spike it and we go to OT.

76Texan
11-14-2010, 10:24 PM
There's a better way to defend that pass:
Do nothing!
The pass was so off-target, Quin could have let it sail harmlessly over his head.

BullNation4Life
11-14-2010, 11:56 PM
Except he directed it at the player. Anyone else would have been able to spike it and we go to OT.

Should have NEVER came down to spiking a hail mary pass to go into overtime in the first place...

Than being said, the fact fans are bitching about HOW a DB knocks or doesn't knock a ball down is all that you need to know about the success of the Texans....

total asinine...

Norg
11-15-2010, 12:07 AM
I hate to have to say it but it looks as if it will be a real struggle to reach 5-7. With the Jets, Titans, and Eagles being your next three opponents all of which are racing towards the playoffs. Good luck!

Titans are anything but racing to the playoffs they loss today

smd they jets are winning but imo are in a downward spiral IMO struggling to GB Lions Browns whos next soon thoes Struggle will turn into "L"

steds
11-15-2010, 02:08 AM
I don't understand some of the people who are defending Quin. I don't blame him for the loss, because but for other peoples mistakes the situation wouldn't have come about, but I'm disgusted with him for that effort. The "that is what you're coached to do" argument doesn't wash with me. In every sport I played as a kid, I was taught, in the most comparable situations I can think of, to make a decision on what I thought was the safest option and do that. I'm no expert on the nuances of football tactics, but palming the ball downin the general direction of two oncoming Jags doesn't particularly strike me as low risk. Infact, it sounds like the most risky course of action I can think of.

What I personally saw in Quin was either someone with absolutely no peripheral vision or awareness of his general surroundings (it's not as if he had his back to where they were coming from); or someone who lacks the ability to identify a correct course of action and execute. Either way, it's not what I want to see from someone I'm rooting for.

leebigeztx
11-15-2010, 02:36 AM
I have a better question, where was walters and johnson? Normally in that situation, teams put the bigger wideouts back there. Look, quinn should have slapped the ball down, not out and the other defenders should have walled off the other guys.

thunderkyss
11-15-2010, 08:20 AM
I know this defense has been bad, but if you get down to the nuts and bolts of it. The offense hasn't been that much better. (and please don't post stats, I don't give a damn how great stats say their offense is.) The offense has been horrible this year. Oh they have talent, don't get me wrong, this team HAS talent on that side of the ball....and they put up numbers, but the numbers always feel empty.

That's what I've been saying.

thunderkyss
11-15-2010, 08:23 AM
There's a better way to defend that pass:
Do nothing!
The pass was so off-target, Quin could have let it sail harmlessly over his head.

There wasn't a Jaguar player behind him when the ball went over his head..... doesn't make sense.

Let it go, or catch it, don't put it in play. Which is basically what he done.

I blame Quin for that play... not whoever taught him, or coached him, or tied his shoe in the morning.

That was football stupid.

period.

b0ng
11-15-2010, 08:23 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/09000d5d81c1aac7/Jaguars-Hail-Mary-is-answered

So one of the guys at BRB nicknamed this play the Q-tip. I'd say it fits.

thunderkyss
11-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Titans are anything but racing to the playoffs they loss today

smd they jets are winning but imo are in a downward spiral IMO struggling to GB Lions Browns whos next soon thoes Struggle will turn into "L"
In 2009, the Jets were 4-5 after week ten, losing to the Jaguars.

Almost funny.

HuttoKarl
11-15-2010, 08:43 AM
I stopped caring weeks ago......All I do is laugh now. I'm actually hoping this continues, because it's the only way we're ever going to rid ourselves of that Aggie loser on the sidelines.

I feel the same way. My life goes on win or lose...still have to work and pay taxes and keep the family fed. As long as we keep losing we increase the chances of some legit change (MARVIN LEWIS!!!) and our draft pick gets better (A FS WHO CAN ACTUALLY HELP DEFENSIVELY!!!!).

Blake
11-15-2010, 09:06 AM
I don't understand some of the people who are defending Quin. I don't blame him for the loss, because but for other peoples mistakes the situation wouldn't have come about, but I'm disgusted with him for that effort. The "that is what you're coached to do" argument doesn't wash with me. In every sport I played as a kid, I was taught, in the most comparable situations I can think of, to make a decision on what I thought was the safest option and do that. I'm no expert on the nuances of football tactics, but palming the ball downin the general direction of two oncoming Jags doesn't particularly strike me as low risk. Infact, it sounds like the most risky course of action I can think of.

What I personally saw in Quin was either someone with absolutely no peripheral vision or awareness of his general surroundings (it's not as if he had his back to where they were coming from); or someone who lacks the ability to identify a correct course of action and execute. Either way, it's not what I want to see from someone I'm rooting for.

999/1000 that is going to hit the ground as an incompletion. I am no Glover fan, but what do you expect him to do there? I am sure he was focused on the 50 yard bomb coming right at him and was able to contact it at his highest point in his jump while trying to defend it from very tall WR and TE's. It was unfortunate to say the least. But again, that ball will hit the ground 999 times out of 1000. If he catches the ball there is no telling if he gets it striped or knocked out on the way down. Really it was just a great heads up play by their WR.

Texanator
11-15-2010, 09:11 AM
The key phrase here is "batted the ball down". He batted the ball forward, not down.

HOU-TEX
11-15-2010, 09:13 AM
These kind of threads make me laugh.

I won't place a lot of blame on GQ. I blame the entire defense and it's coaches.

thunderkyss
11-15-2010, 10:12 AM
These kind of threads make me laugh.

I won't place a lot of blame on GQ. I blame the entire defense and it's coaches.

I am not saying the defense is not to blame. They have a share in this, no doubt.

But the Jags offense is better than the Jags defense & we had trouble on both sides of the ball.

Imagine this, 3rd & 15.... closing seconds of a tied game. Why throw an 8 yard route????? We have no more time-outs, if he gets the first down, what are we going to do? He's in the middle of the field.

Throw the damn thing away, try an extra long field goal, or punt.

silvrhand
11-15-2010, 10:51 AM
After watching him adjusting his arm pads during a play that went for a TD last week and now this play I have to say it's time for him to go. There isn't a decent corner on the roster. Glover Quin you suck.

LoL so I was not the only one that saw that either?

Double Barrel
11-15-2010, 11:42 AM
It's called SITUATIONAL AWARENESS. It is quite obvious that Quinn does not possess it and is not coached to possess it. While I can't put the entire loss on his shoulders, it takes quite a lapse of logic to completely excuse his involvement in the loss.

And some of you need to quit the "moron" blasts toward fellow Texans fans unless you don't want to be around here for awhile. You know the rules: attack the post, but not the poster.

gwallaia
11-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Glover's stupid play trumps "Rosencopter" as the worst play in Texans history.

TexanBacker93
11-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Should have NEVER came down to spiking a hail mary pass to go into overtime in the first place...

Than being said, the fact fans are bitching about HOW a DB knocks or doesn't knock a ball down is all that you need to know about the success of the Texans....

total asinine...

You are very correct. It shouldn't come down to this. Either the team has more talent than someone like the Jags and should win easily (that means the coaches aren't getting the job done) or the team doesn't have enough talent and we are a bottom feeder (means the GM isn't getting the job done).

Instead of batting it down how about catching it and returning it 100 yards for a game winner? Chances are it would never happen, but why not try?

TheMatrix31
11-15-2010, 05:58 PM
What I wanna know is, watching it again....why the HELL isn't McCain blocking Thomas out? What the hell is he doing?! Why is he BEHIND Thomas?!

texanhead08
11-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Rex Ryan said today that Quinn did what he was coached to do. He said we teach our guys to knock the ball down too in a Hail Mary situation. Ryan said he felt bad for Quinn because he is being blamed because the Jags got a lucky bounce.