PDA

View Full Version : Time keeps on slipping on Kevin Walter

El Tejano
11-12-2010, 07:14 AM
This is what, 3 games with no receptions? I'm sorry but that's inexcusable. What's the deal with that? I know Kubiak has stated that he's largely the reason we are having so much success on the ground but KW gets paid to catch footballs and he's not getting open to catch anything.

It used to be you would see Schaub wind up and chuck it down field to a completely open Kevin Walter but that's not the case no more.

Is it time to go WR in the draft or FA? I know we got JJ but even he has been way inconsistent to depend on as a #2.

HTown2ATX
11-12-2010, 07:47 AM
I was also really hoping/thinking that JJ could be the #2 now but clearly he's not ready.

gtexan02
11-12-2010, 07:49 AM
I dont even have words to express the surprise Im feeling right now. Our STARTING wide receiver has caught ZERO balls in three consecutive games? Wow. Wow. Thats all I can say.

Thats 100% inexcusable. And embarrassing.

He's only been targeted 5 times in the past 3 games, meaning he simply is not getting open. With JJ and AJ both coming off injuries, this is ridiculous

CloakNNNdagger
11-12-2010, 07:58 AM
I dont even have words to express the surprise Im feeling right now. Our STARTING wide receiver has caught ZERO balls in three consecutive games? Wow. Wow. Thats all I can say.

Thats 100% inexcusable. And embarrassing.

He's only been targeted 5 times in the past 3 games, meaning he simply is not getting open. With JJ and AJ both coming off injuries, this is ridiculous

Are you sure this is all on KW.......or is Schaub locking on his first receiver and failing to go through his progressions?

HJam72
11-12-2010, 08:14 AM
The Ds are probably focusing more on him with AJ not playing healthy. I don't know; I haven't watched that close.

VTexan
11-12-2010, 08:29 AM
I would love to pick up a WR in the draft.

HOU-TEX
11-12-2010, 08:32 AM
He got paid. :hides:

Nah, I don't think KW's that kinda guy. Never know

DexmanC
11-12-2010, 08:33 AM
The Ds are probably focusing more on him with AJ not playing healthy. I don't know; I haven't watched that close.

KW feasted on AJ drawing triple coverage. Without that threat, KW's
simply not talented enough to consistently beat coverage on his own.

hradhak
11-12-2010, 08:56 AM
To be fair, KW has drawn a few pass interference penalties.

Still, our #2 should be worth more than that. His performance has been subpar and watching him on the field in the KC and SD game, he didn't get open very often. I will say that a lot of Kubiak's plays are designed to draw coverage into a certain area of the field to open up other areas of the field, which is why AJ is so wide open some times. Still, KW needs to be a target.

El Tejano
11-12-2010, 09:16 AM
To be fair, KW has drawn a few pass interference penalties.

Still, our #2 should be worth more than that. His performance has been subpar and watching him on the field in the KC and SD game, he didn't get open very often. I will say that a lot of Kubiak's plays are designed to draw coverage into a certain area of the field to open up other areas of the field, which is why AJ is so wide open some times. Still, KW needs to be a target.

I think when you combine that with the success of Arian Foster, which means the amount of times thrown to KW will decrease, it kind of shows why the decline but when we pass it is obvious he's not getting open.

record
11-12-2010, 09:54 AM
I think last season the O took a lot more advantage of what the D was giving them, which is where Walter, Anderson and check downs come in. It really feels like Schuab if forcing the ball to AJ to much this year.

I also think that since we are running the ball more and not spreading the receivers out wide as much, Walter is having a harder time getting open. Since he doesn't have a physical advantage on most DBs, he needs space to get open and that doesn't happen as easily unless spread out.

Norg
11-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Its Jag time Usually KW has his best games agansit the Kittens

El Tejano
11-12-2010, 10:46 AM
So I thinks this begs the question, do we look for another #2 in the offseason? I think so. I believe we let the talent at WR rest, and we need to get another guy that can stretch the field or be a better route runner.

BigBull17
11-12-2010, 10:54 AM
So I thinks this begs the question, do we look for another #2 in the offseason? I think so. I believe we let the talent at WR rest, and we need to get another guy that can stretch the field or be a better route runner.

We have to. JJ drops way to many balls. He is awful in the short passing game. We also desperately need a slot receiver. DA is beyond incapable of making plays in the NFL. Should have let Denver sign him for a second round pick.

The1ApplePie
11-12-2010, 10:54 AM
KW feasted on AJ drawing triple coverage. Without that threat, KW's
simply not talented enough to consistently beat coverage on his own.

Yep. OD being what he is isn't helping.

Wes Welker has also been awful without Moss in NE. A superstar can make mediocre talent look good.

rmartin65
11-12-2010, 10:57 AM
. DA is beyond incapable of making plays in the NFL. Should have let Denver sign him for a second round pick.

Haha, that was never an option. It would have been Denver's 7th rounder.

El Tejano
11-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Who then might be available to replace these guys, draft or FA? It sucks because just a year ago, these guys were making plays left and right and being explosive. Anyone remember the game Jacoby had against Miami last year?

Runner
11-12-2010, 11:21 AM
The drop off of Walter is puzzling; Jones not making a big leap this year is less so, because some players just never get there.

The improvement in the running game should not effect these two that much, and to me it appears like a chicken and egg question. Is it the QB or receivers? There has to be an offensive system component too.

It will be interesting to see if the Texans can correct this problem over the rest of the season.

wagonhed
11-12-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm convinced it's Dennison. I couldn't tell you why, I just think it's an issue with his scheme and play design.

silvrhand
11-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Are you sure this is all on KW.......or is Schaub locking on his first receiver and failing to go through his progressions?

I'm convinced it's Dennison. I couldn't tell you why, I just think it's an issue with his scheme and play design.

I think you have two of the answers right there..

Rey
11-12-2010, 03:38 PM
It hurts me to say this, but I think it is more-so on Schaub than Walter.

I don't think Walter was ever a guy who relied on physical gifts to beat defenders. I think he was good in the role that he played for us. I think Walter mainly relies on his knowledge of whats going on and he has good hands and he's a big target (although I guess those actually are physical gifts; but not gifts that would really help to get him open).

I do think that there are easily better options for this team as a #2 receiver, but at the same time I think that better pass protection and Schaub playing a bit better would help him out as well.

Also, with the emergence of Foster, both as a RB and a receiver, I think that has limited some of his looks/touches as well.

ATXtexanfan
11-12-2010, 05:58 PM
schaub is having a crappy year, i wonder if he's having a hard time due to fosters success

CretorFrigg
11-12-2010, 06:10 PM
schaub is having a crappy year, i wonder if he's having a hard time due to fosters success

I don't see how Foster's current success can relate to Schaub's sub-par performance. If anything, it should improve Schaub's performance as defenses are more focused in on Foster which results to eight men in the box.

I'd attribute Matt's shoddy performance to a bad pass defense. Shaub is rarely given any time to progress through his reads. Remember those naked bootlegs that led to a long bomb to Andre Johnson? Whatever happened to those? Everytime we attempt that, Schaub either checks down or throws the pass away.

Maybe it's all because Andre Johnson is hurt. Gosh, Kubiak, give Andre the time he needs to HEAL!

ATXtexanfan
11-12-2010, 06:16 PM
i just feel like the dude (schaub) is pressing with his limited opportunities. seems like the ball is never in the right spot

Lucky
11-12-2010, 06:21 PM
...or is Schaub locking on his first receiver and failing to go through his progressions?
I don't think there's anything wrong with Walter. Schaub just can't get the ball to the receivers on time, this season. That's the dirty little secret every team in the NFL knows. How the Texans can still run the ball is amazing. I have believed (and still do) that Schaub has some type of injury to his arm or shoulder that hinders his velocity.

Foster is making the initial would-be tackler miss on a consistent basis. But with defenses like the Jets, Titans, and Ravens coming up, I think Arian's numbers go down. Then the myth of the Texans "elite" offense will be exposed. I can't see the Texans getting more than 4 wins in the second half of the season. If that many.

Dutchrudder
11-12-2010, 06:22 PM
It's a shame we passed up Dez Bryant in hindsight. He was a top 10 talent with some attitude issues, but noooo we don't want none of that! :rolleyes: Could have let KW go to Baltimore and had an excellent WR across from AJ.

TheMatrix31
11-13-2010, 04:32 AM
Yep. It's not so much Walter as it is the playcalling and scheme. Walter is one of those guys where, if he's not catching balls, he's doing other things to be productive. Blocks, decoys, "picks", things like that.

Walter is not a problem at all. He's Mr. Reliable overall.

DexmanC
11-13-2010, 06:26 AM
Yep. It's not so much Walter as it is the playcalling and scheme. Walter is one of those guys where, if he's not catching balls, he's doing other things to be productive. Blocks, decoys, "picks", things like that.

Walter is not a problem at all. He's Mr. Reliable overall.

Why ain't Jacoby getting the same benefit of the doubt? It's his contract
year, he's having a not-so-good year receiving, yet people are writing
him off as a never-gonna-be-good receiver. Didn't he have a ridiculous
TD/Reception ratio last year? David Anderson can't get on the field, and
even when he did, Anderson contributed little. This team signed Anderson
in lieu of receiving a SECOND ROUND PICK.

I honestly believe Jacoby will be the first high-talent this regime lets walk
before he gets to his prime. He does things to get this
team into winning position, far more than any receiver not named Andre.

Low-ball Jacoby Jones, he'll be getting a call from Jeff Fisher, Jerry Jones,
maybe Peyton tells Polian about him. Jacoby Jones joining Peyton Manning,
Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon, and Austin Collie would be SICK!

Keep David Anderson over a second round pick, let Jacoby Jones walk.
Sounds bass-ackwards if you ask me, but it's something this team would
let do.

Place the problem of the passing game where it belongs (Rick Dennison.)

steds
11-13-2010, 07:03 AM
We have to. JJ drops way to many balls. He is awful in the short passing game. We also desperately need a slot receiver. DA is beyond incapable of making plays in the NFL. Should have let Denver sign him for a second round pick.

Haha, that was never an option. It would have been Denver's 7th rounder.

let do.

I love people who don't read. (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-1/Broncos-sign-Anderson/B51D88FE-80CA-4F68-B992-FF4EB3E9180B)

The Texans have a week to match Andersonís deal. If they don't, Houston gets a seventh-round pick in return.

JB
11-13-2010, 10:07 AM

let do.

Where do you come up with this stuff? Has your haterade completely blinded you to the truth?

Norg
11-13-2010, 12:32 PM
David anderson is doing much worst he cant make Plays ........... at least KW catches a few balls every now and then

when we throw to DA this year he drops them

TheMatrix31
11-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Guys, if people would just stop quoting Dexman's posts, that would be great. The function is useless if the posts continue to be visible through quotes.

rmartin65
11-13-2010, 05:25 PM
I love people who don't read. (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-1/Broncos-sign-Anderson/B51D88FE-80CA-4F68-B992-FF4EB3E9180B)

I know right? I was stunned when I read it again, from another person. Bah.

Anderson is better than the likely 7th round pick. Sorry guys, but it is true.

Lucky
11-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Anderson is better than the likely 7th round pick. Sorry guys, but it is true.
Had the Texans taken the Broncos 7th round pick, they could have selected Julian Edelman, Sammy Stoughter, or LaRod Stephens-Howling. All are better than David Anderson.