PDA

View Full Version : Cushing Back to SAM LB

HOU-TEX
11-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Bentley has backed up D-Ryans since day 1, which is why I found it odd they moved Cush inside.

Texans coach Gary Kubiak said after today's practice that Brian Cushing will return to outside linebacker as well as play middle linebacker on Sunday when they play at the Jacksonville Jaguars.

That means Kevin Bentley, who backed up DeMeco Ryans before moving to the strong side, will also play in the middle.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7288212.html

drewmar74
11-10-2010, 02:01 PM
I guess that means Cush at Mike on obvious passing downs?

JB
11-10-2010, 02:21 PM
I guess that means Cush at Mike on obvious passing downs?

I'm thinking it means Cush at SAM on obvious passing downs. Kubiak also mentioned that Bently can't rush the passer as well as Cush.

Dutchrudder
11-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Now we goin to the Super Bowl! :trophy::trophy::trophy:

drewmar74
11-10-2010, 02:54 PM
I'm thinking it means Cush at SAM on obvious passing downs. Kubiak also mentioned that Bently can't rush the passer as well as Cush.

But it said they're both going to play the mike..... I'd assume that you'd want the two best pass coverage linebackers in there on obvious passing downs which would be Diles and Cushing rather than Cush and Bentley.

dream_team
11-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Probably means Cush plays Mike in nickel packages because Bentley will come out.

JB
11-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Probably means Cush plays Mike in nickel packages because Bentley will come out.

Correct.

Kubiak said that Cushing could play at strongside linebacker in base defense and at middle linebacker in nickel defense. Bentley, a ninth-year veteran, backed up Ryans in the middle for each of the past three seasons.

Also said...

“When Cush plays the SAM, we’re more apt to get him involved in the pass rush,” Kubiak said. “It has been tricky how we’re trying to organize our defense with Cush moving around, so hopefully with some of this health we can get rid of some of those problems that we have.”

TEXANS84
11-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Wonder who is going to be handling the plays from the helmet then.
I would assume Cushing still because he should get full snaps the entire game.

Yankee_In_TX
11-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Thank God.

ChampionTexan
11-10-2010, 03:10 PM
:wadepalm::wadepalm:
http://orkutgears.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Problem-Solved-Cd-400.png
:wadepalm::wadepalm::wadepalm:

drewmar74
11-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Wonder who is going to be handling the plays from the helmet then.
I would assume Cushing still because he should get full snaps the entire game.

I'm thinking Cush will have the mike even when he's not at the MIKE.

ChampionTexan
11-10-2010, 03:12 PM
I'm thinking Cush will have the mike even when he's not at the MIKE.

I would agree - I know he took it over in the game Demeco went down in - even though he stayed at the SAM the entire remainder of the game.

dream_team
11-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Good change I think. I like to see Cush roam and rush the passer more.

badboy
11-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Whoa on Monday's program Gary said Cush would remain at the Mike. This is an excellent move. If Bentley can not handle the Mike he should be cut and we can replace him on team.

silvrhand
11-10-2010, 03:33 PM
This is a joke, back and forth, we seem to be a team without a plan on how to move forward.

drewmar74
11-10-2010, 03:38 PM
This is a joke, back and forth, we seem to be a team without a plan on how to move forward.

Meh, they tried it. It didn't work. So now they're trying something else.

It would bother me more if they put Cush at the Mike and it didn't work and then they left him there all season because they didn't want to rock the boat anymore.

valleytexfan
11-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Meh, they tried it. It didn't work. So now they're trying something else.

It would bother me more if they put Cush at the Mike and it didn't work and then they left him there all season because they didn't want to rock the boat anymore.

Agree :goodpost:

awtysst
11-10-2010, 03:53 PM

Sure we do...We're going this way!!!
http://www.clipartguide.com/_small/0041-0607-2310-4600.jpg

Hervoyel
11-10-2010, 03:58 PM
On other teams (examples we've faced just recently) a player goes down and his backup/understudy steps in and plays well. We have a player go down and shuffle our linebackers around because.... why? Why didn't Bentley get the nod from day one? Why delay Cushing's supposed return to form any longer by moving him over? If Bentley can't do the job as Ryans understudy then why in the hell is this guy second on the depth chart behind DeMeco?

Now we're going to do what we should have done from the very start. That's about right for us.

Cush will probably still play some in the middle because Gary doesn't want to undermine his fragile confidence or something.

Malloy
11-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Lets see if Cushing light up... heck, we can only hope :)

Porky
11-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Roid Boy is JAG without his ped's. SAM, MIKE, WILL or water boy. It doesn't matter.

Hervoyel
11-10-2010, 04:11 PM

I'd like to see nothing better but in the back of my mind I keep thinking.

Deck chairs. Titanic.

badboy
11-10-2010, 04:14 PM
On other teams (examples we've faced just recently) a player goes down and his backup/understudy steps in and plays well. We have a player go down and shuffle our linebackers around because.... why? Why didn't Bentley get the nod from day one? Why delay Cushing's supposed return to form any longer by moving him over? If Bentley can't do the job as Ryans understudy then why in the hell is this guy second on the depth chart behind DeMeco?

Now we're going to do what we should have done from the very start. That's about right for us.

Cush will probably still play some in the middle because Gary doesn't want to undermine his fragile confidence or something.Excellent post and why I am more agitated this season at Kubiak. It is not "try something and hope it works then move onto something else." Bently has been around and if nothing else can announce the play sent in by sidelines. He has the talent to play Mike I'm just not sure he can call the plays. He has to be better than Cush and that is not me knocking Cushing.

ChampionTexan
11-10-2010, 04:20 PM

Cush will probably still play some in the middle because Gary doesn't want to undermine his fragile confidence or something.

While that's true to some extent, I think it's also a little unfair to say nobody ever does it this way.

It's not uncommon at all to see an injury to an offensive lineman result in at least one starting lineman moving position. The starting LT goes down, they move the RT to LT and put the backup in at RT. Center goes down, one of the starting Guards takes over, and the backup Guard steps in for him.

Postions differ, and I agree, this solution hasn't worked. Maybe it was poorly conceived, but how some other teams handle their TE's and WR's (or LB's) doesn't really provide evidence of that.

NitroGSXR
11-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Cushing's PED bust sure has come a long way in turning this season upside down. The Texans apparently feel the same way as many fans... they feel that Cushing is the edge that we all are looking for...

All I hear these days is air escaping from the Cushlash that used to be. We have to take him out of the void and stop banking on him to be that juggernaut. He has led us on only to fail us going on eight games thus far.

Love this move. Return him back to basics and try and recreate his success last season. We need him back there for the rest of the year so we can evaluate draft needs better.

drs23
11-10-2010, 05:18 PM

What? And get another 4 games in New Jersey? :kitten:

TimeKiller
11-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Glad to see this experiment end. Cushing needs to get back to Cushing.

hehe, see what I did there?

mexican_texan
11-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Why is this news? Why is Kubiak telling everyone what he plans to do on Sunday?

jaayteetx
11-10-2010, 09:24 PM

Often wondered that myself.

Malloy
11-11-2010, 01:08 AM
I'd like to see nothing better but in the back of my mind I keep thinking.

Deck chairs. Titanic.

Also 'Don't stand around listening to the band' :)

Malloy
11-11-2010, 01:10 AM

In case he forgets, someone can remind him of the decision.

It's called outsourcing ;)

IDEXAN
11-11-2010, 06:51 AM
So I dunno, does this show a coaching staff that's flexible, adaptable or one that's confused and uncertain about what's it's doing ? You tell me ?

Malloy
11-11-2010, 07:17 AM
So I dunno, does this show a coaching staff that's flexible, adaptable or one that's confused and uncertain about what's it's doing ? You tell me ?

Well at least they're MAKING changes based on what goes on on the field, that's a positive. Could it have been done sooner? sure. Better? sure.

Some would argue that it's too little, too late. I tend to agree with this.

b0ng
11-11-2010, 07:30 AM
Well that's good I suppose. What I'm wondering is, why aren't they doing any shuffling around in the secondary?

gtexan02
11-11-2010, 07:51 AM
When they first announced this change I said that I thought it was a bad idea because it was removing any chance of Cushing, who is a "playmaker", of making plays.
Playing your MLB in a mostly cover 2 shceme is basically removing him from the majority of the action

Why did it take Kubiak 2 horrific games on defense to realize this?

tedr
11-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Well that's good I suppose. What I'm wondering is, why aren't they doing any shuffling around in the secondary?

:goodpost:

Yankee_In_TX
11-11-2010, 12:27 PM

I'm pretty sure Bentley was hurt for a few weeks.

beerlover
11-11-2010, 12:32 PM
yeah Bently was out, seriously I thought they had shut him down for the season but the sudden need meant they had to rush him back quickly as possible. pair that along with Sharpton having his injury issue who I thought had moved into DeMecos back-up in the middle & you have a recipe for significant drop off in production @ both LB positions.

Andre_Johnson
11-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Now we goin to the Super Bowl! :trophy::trophy::trophy:

:lol:

Brisco_County
11-11-2010, 08:20 PM
When you have the worst defense in the NFL, it would be a mistake to not experiment.