PDA

View Full Version : Choice for Texans/Rockets fans

badboy
11-10-2010, 08:13 AM
Neither the Houston Texans or Houston Rockets are doing well or as expected by fans. Here is my question, would you rather have a guarantee of Texans getting into the playoffs with the current roster and no guarantee beyond that OR would you rather Rockets trade for a "name" player such as Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul or Danny Granger? Both are possible but not looking real good.

I realize on this MB there may be Texans fans with little interest in Rockets but I am more interested in your thoughts and why than who supports which team.

HTown2ATX
11-10-2010, 08:25 AM
I follow all Houston teams pretty closely (yes, even the Dynamo...love some Futbol)

Love Texans and Rockets. A little aside that I think is cool. I video taped the 94 and 95 championship games on VHS. So I'm sitting there at 14 watching the Rockets - Knicks series and got the whole OJ fiasco on tape. Still have the series on tape at home no lie. A buddy of mine and I got all drunk and popped it in the other day to check it out....good times.

Anyway, in this case I would take the Texans for a bunch of reasons.

Texans have never done it before.

NFL success typically garnishes more sports "respect" than NBA accomplishments in that city.

I want to see AJ have some kind of post season action soon....he's not getting any younger.

I figure that even with Melo (which I don't see happening) the West is too strong, Yao is on his last leg...literally and the Rockets would need more star power IMO to hang with the Lakers, Blazers who are coming up and those damned pesky assed Spurs that just won't get too old and implode damnit.

Rockets have already accomplished at one time the height of greatness in their sport and so far to a degree so had the Astros in 05. Now it is time for the NFL team in Houston.

Plus for me personally, I left Houston at age 5 and lived up and down the east coast until 97 when I cam back to Houston and by then the Oilers were gone. So, anytime the Oilers were good I was never able to celebrate with anyone being so far away (this also sucked in terms of getting gear to sport which I think is why I buy so much Texans stuff now lol to compensate for no Oilers gear when I was a kid). So, I would love to be able to go to Houston and partake in any kind of celebration for post season sucess!! (that goes for any Houston team)

gtexan02
11-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Texans x 100

GuerillaBlack
11-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Texans.

But the Rockets are getting better. They have had the toughest schedule through six games and lost all by a combined 30 points (record for opponents the Rockets have face is 24-6). When they played Minnesota, they blew them out by 26 points. When the schedule starts evening out this month, the Rockets' record will get much better.

Ole Miss Texan
11-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Texans x 100

And I'll x's gtexan's post by another 100.

False Start
11-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Texans all the way. The current NBA does nothing for me. I like the Rockets, but I hardly ever watch the games. If I do turn on a Rockets game, I might catch the end of it, and thats about it. :texflag:

jaayteetx
11-10-2010, 10:34 AM
No contest, the Texans do play in Texas, right? Where football is KING!

m5kwatts
11-10-2010, 11:18 AM
I'm not worried about the Rockets. They're in highly competent hands with Les Alexander and Morey. The Texans worry me because it seems like they can't help themselves or just don't know how to help themselves.

Norg
11-10-2010, 11:33 AM
IMO its much harder to win in the NFL i want texans to have 5 SB titles ....

spurstexanstros
11-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Every Year I root for a trifecta..but thats just me

valleytexfan
11-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Texans...hands down.

badboy
11-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Texans all the way. The current NBA does nothing for me. I like the Rockets, but I hardly ever watch the games. If I do turn on a Rockets game, I might catch the end of it, and thats about it. :texflag:Would an impact player like those identified in thread encourage you to watch more or are you really not interested?

badboy
11-10-2010, 04:07 PM
No contest, the Texans do play in Texas, right? Where football is KING!It was not king in 1994 or 1995.

drs23
11-10-2010, 04:57 PM
It was not king in 1994 or 1995.

No it wasn't, was it? I took my 13 yo daughter to those games as her mom's job had season tickets. She knew the players' names and numbers and really got into it. I had as good of a time watching her as I did #34 and crew. Thanks for jogging old memories. rep

False Start
11-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Would an impact player like those identified in thread encourage you to watch more or are you really not interested?

It might make me want to keep up with them a bit more, but they still wouldn't hold my interest, and make me follow them as much as the Texans. As I said before, the current NBA is just not my thing. I'm not knocking anyone that does, its just not for me anymore.

Grams
11-10-2010, 05:38 PM
We play NBA Basketball in Texas?

JWarren14
11-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Texans for sure

I watch all the other teams, but gameday @ Reliant is something special. Maybe it's because we only get 8 regular season games compared to all the Stros and Rockets games.

A playoff game this year would be so effing amazing.

Yankee_In_TX
11-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Texans all the way. The current NBA does nothing for me. I like the Rockets, but I hardly ever watch the games. If I do turn on a Rockets game, I might catch the end of it, and thats about it. :texflag:

Yup.

spurstexanstros
11-10-2010, 10:20 PM
We play NBA Basketball in Texas?

(cough) 4-time Nba champions (cough)

(cough) Highest win pct in all sports last 20 years (cough)

I must have a cold or it could be regional.

hradhak
11-11-2010, 04:57 AM
It might make me want to keep up with them a bit more, but they still wouldn't hold my interest, and make me follow them as much as the Texans. As I said before, the current NBA is just not my thing. I'm not knocking anyone that does, its just not for me anymore.

I can totally relate. During the 80s and 90s I was a Rockets fan first and foremost. I am still a Rockets fan, but the NBA has changed. I often question whether Stern is fixing games to make marquis finals matchups.

I would love to see the Texans in the playoffs, and I would love to see being a consistent playoff team for many years to come, but we still lack a few pieces.

Grams
11-11-2010, 05:30 AM

ROFLOL - I know.

I am just not in anyway, shape or form a fan of NBA Basketball anymore. I grew up just South of Boston, MA and watching Havlechek, Russell etc. I think that team up there might just have 1 or 2 or a few more Championships.

badboy
11-11-2010, 08:32 AM
ROFLOL - I know.

I am just not in anyway, shape or form a fan of NBA Basketball anymore. I grew up just South of Boston, MA and watching Havlechek, Russell etc. I think that team up there might just have 1 or 2 or a few more Championships.Yeah, but teams up there got a huge head start as no one could go outside without parkas on. "Under wear" games like basketball and soccer took generations to become popular in a warm weather state that does not know what ice fishing or pond skating is like.

sandman
11-11-2010, 12:32 PM

Damn straight. Go Spurs Go!

Norg
11-11-2010, 10:56 PM
so the astros have been shuned LOL :P

TheMatrix31
11-12-2010, 02:36 AM
Texans any day, but I'm not a Rockets fan.

badboy
11-12-2010, 03:00 PM
so the astros have been shuned LOL :PNope. Astros not even on the horizon and that's a shame.