PDA

View Full Version : Foxsports power ranking. Really?? (headscratch)

HTown2ATX
11-10-2010, 07:33 AM
LMAO @ these rankings.....

How the hell the Texans are #14 and anywhere NEAR the top 10 is a mystery to me. It's ironic because we usually as Texans fans hate that we don't get enough national credit at times, well now, I'm upset that we keep somehow getting it while the team puts on it's best swirling turd reinactment.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings

:mariopalm:

gtexan02
11-10-2010, 07:37 AM

How the hell the Texans are #14 and anywhere NEAR the top 10 is a mystery to me. It's ironic because we usually as Texans fans hate that we don't get enough national credit at times, well now, I'm upset that we keep somehow getting it while the team puts on it's best swirling turd reinactment.

Other than the bucs, I think we're better than every team below us. Easily.

The NFL is pretty interesting this year. Would have been a great year to come alive

Thorn
11-10-2010, 07:53 AM
ESPN put us at 15 this week, which IMO is close. We have a good offense and a bad defense and have won half our games. We are Mr. Average in the NFL.

NitroGSXR
11-10-2010, 07:56 AM

Rankings are just about right. I think the Texans could be a little higher but results are key at this juncture. 4-4 with the toughes schedule in the NFL is about what I'd call slightly above average. 14 is fair enough of a spot. Also, 14 isn't as close to 10 as you're making it out to be.

I don't really understand why you are face-palming? Where do you think they should sit?

Mr teX
11-10-2010, 07:58 AM
its simple really..every team we've beaten is @ .500 or better, & we have beaten some good teams. not to mention our schedule is 1 of the toughest in the league & we've still managed to hang in there.

HTown2ATX
11-10-2010, 08:06 AM
Rankings are just about right. I think the Texans could be a little higher but results are key at this juncture. 4-4 with the toughes schedule in the NFL is about what I'd call slightly above average. 14 is fair enough of a spot. Also, 14 isn't as close to 10 as you're making it out to be.

I don't really understand why you are face-palming? Where do you think they should sit?

When I look at those rankings, personally, I see other teams that have earned a better placement than us.

Personally I think Texans should be around 17 or 18. Record aside from teams immediately below us as some of those teams have better records, even though it is only 1 win more, some of those teams have been looking way better. Raiders looking way better lately as one example and have a better record.

Sorry, but if I'm being honest, especially with this defense we have and the inconsistent offense as of late (3 points in 2nd half last Sunday?!?!?!) and the trend they are on of starting to fall on their face, I just think 14 is too high.

Granted NFL rankings don't mean jack squat, but I must be missing something.....this team has not been good lately. Sorry.

NitroGSXR
11-10-2010, 08:20 AM
When I look at those rankings, personally, I see other teams that have earned a better placement than us.

Personally I think Texans should be around 17 or 18. Record aside from teams immediately below us as some of those teams have better records, even though it is only 1 win more, some of those teams have been looking way better. Raiders looking way better lately as one example and have a better record.

Sorry, but if I'm being honest, especially with this defense we have and the inconsistent offense as of late (3 points in 2nd half last Sunday?!?!?!) and the trend they are on of starting to fall on their face, I just think 14 is too high.

Granted NFL rankings don't mean jack squat, but I must be missing something.....this team has not been good lately. Sorry.

17 is also an acceptable enough of a place for the Texans. It's three slots down from 14. The middle of the pack teams are closer to each other than the front runners. I agree we have been sucking but I certainly wouldn't facepalm a middle of the pack ranking.

Thorn
11-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Another thing to consider, is if you aren't in the top 10 or bottom 10, what is there to realistically argue about?

Dutchrudder
11-10-2010, 08:47 AM
A 4-4 record means we should be anywhere from 14-18 depending on how lopsided the league is. It's an even spread this year, no teams running away with it all, so it kind of makes sense.

Ole Miss Texan
11-10-2010, 09:12 AM

The NFL is pretty interesting this year. Would have been a great year to come alive

That's my thinking too. #14 seems high at first glance but there's a lot of bad bad teams this year. We're a middle of the pack team right now because we can't stop anyone on defense.

Here's to the need of a very solid remaining 8 games to get to the playoffs. :barman:

JCTexan
11-10-2010, 11:56 AM

Why do you think the Bucs are better than Houston? They are 0-3 against teams with winning records. All of their wins have come against teams .500 or worse, while all of Houston wins have come against teams .500 or better.

ThaShark316
11-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Here's a fun fact....

Miami W, Cincy W, Houston W this week andddddddddddd

Guess who's in 1st with a 2-1 division record? :evil:

wagonhed
11-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Considering that I put our record adjusted for luck at 3-5, I think a ranking around 18 is more appropriate. And I adjust for luck because power ranking is about how good a team is, not how lucky they are.

ThaShark316
11-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Considering that I put our record adjusted for luck at 3-5, I think a ranking around 18 is more appropriate. And I adjust for luck because power ranking is about how good a team is, not how lucky they are.

It's the NFL, blue soaper.

Name me a squad that didn't have luck.

Don't worry, I'll wait.

spurstexanstros
11-10-2010, 12:31 PM

well then I adjust it back because of lucky bounce off Andre to 5-3

ThaShark316
11-10-2010, 12:33 PM

ding ding ding ding ding

Thorn
11-10-2010, 12:44 PM
ding ding ding ding ding

meh.....there's a reason we are ranked in the middle of the pack, we are 4-4. We can blame the 4-4 record (instead of being 6-2 or 5-3) on a whole lot of things and be at least partially true on all of them: coaching, players, officials, football gods, dumb luck + whatever.

wagonhed
11-10-2010, 12:45 PM
It's the NFL, blue soaper.

Name me a squad that didn't have luck.

Don't worry, I'll wait.
We had terrible luck last year. Last year we were imo an 11-5 team. We should have won a Colts game and a Jags game. Bad luck/shitty refs. Not to mention Kris Brown. Also Chargers last year and arguably this year had terrible luck.

This year, we have luck.

Pretty simple.

Texas T
11-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Hey stop this thread!!
There are way too many positive (or at least not negative) things being said here.
We are supposed to all be negative and only talk about how bad the team is!
Haven't you been on the other 25 or so threads??

I say we fire everyone and then we will be ranked #1!!

wagonhed
11-10-2010, 12:46 PM
I already adjusted the Chargers game. I took away the Skins and Chiefs game and gave us the Chargers game to make us 3-5

:cool:

Texas T
11-10-2010, 12:52 PM
I already adjusted the Chargers game. I took away the Skins and Chiefs game and gave us the Chargers game to make us 3-5

Really then we should be way lower, like around 20 or so because you are taking away two games that we actually finished like a winning team...

Dan B.
11-10-2010, 12:57 PM
We had terrible luck last year. Last year we were imo an 11-5 team. We should have won a Colts game and a Jags game. Bad luck/shitty refs. Not to mention Kris Brown. Also Chargers last year and arguably this year had terrible luck.

This year, we have luck.

Pretty simple.

First thing I thought after that Washington game was "we just used up all of our luck points this year." That AJ catch on 4th down; the blocked Pollard kick; the icing call that worked -- way too many breaks. As a long time Oiler fan I am not used to getting lucky breaks. It freaked me out.

infantrycak
11-10-2010, 01:02 PM
First thing I thought after that Washington game was "we just used up all of our luck points this year." That AJ catch on 4th down; the blocked Pollard kick; the icing call that worked -- way too many breaks. As a long time Oiler fan I am not used to getting lucky breaks. It freaked me out.

I don't understand how any of that is luck. All of it came down to skill by the players on the two teams. I mean if it came down to which way a ball bounced or a key penalty I can see calling it luck.

wagonhed
11-10-2010, 01:04 PM
I don't understand how any of that is luck. All of it came down to skill by the players on the two teams. I mean if it came down to which way a ball bounced or a key penalty I can see calling it luck.
It's not purely luck, but it almost never is.

Still, the way we have played this year should have by all accounts left us with at least a loss at the Skins and possibly the Chiefs, and a win at the Chargers. Just like last year we lost to the Jags because the refs decided we weren't allowed to score a touchdown. And we lost to the Colts for similar reasons. And Kris Brown.

Whatever. I'm not claiming it's pure luck. But it's hard to deny that some years the breaks go your way, some years they don't.

beerlover
11-10-2010, 01:04 PM
tells me Texans have the resources/talent to compete they are just in a funk of underachiving expectations :headhurts:

infantrycak
11-10-2010, 01:16 PM
It's not purely luck, but it almost never is.

Still, the way we have played this year should have by all accounts left us with at least a loss at the Skins and possibly the Chiefs, and a win at the Chargers. Just like last year we lost to the Jags because the refs decided we weren't allowed to score a touchdown. And we lost to the Colts for similar reasons. And Kris Brown.

Whatever. I'm not claiming it's pure luck. But it's hard to deny that some years the breaks go your way, some years they don't.

I can see how the Texans can complain about bad luck in the Chargers game with a fluke bounce from AJ (if the ball just drops on the ground we at least get another chance) and the two bad calls but what in the Skins and Chiefs games was luck for us rather than the team doing what they are supposed to do?

This whole exercise is silly. You're going to start taking away wins based on luck for the Texans but not for other teams in evaluating their relative merit.

Dan B.
11-10-2010, 01:20 PM

I was amazed that we kept getting those plays considering the percentage of success on plays like that. I don't often see any team convert a fourth and 10 for a hail mary TD, block a fg kick, or get a timeout to ice a kicker; much less all 3 in the same game.

Recovering three consecutive onside kicks and scoring 28 points in the last 5 minutes would come down to the skill of your special teams and offensive units too. But it would still astonish me if we pulled something like that off, and I'd feel just as uneasy about it.

I'm not saying that feeling is rational. It's the same reason I always wear the same jersey to Rockets games, or refuse to talk about a no hitter in progress. There's something karmic about this kind of thing to me.

thunderkyss
11-10-2010, 01:27 PM

You haven't noticed any inconsistency in the Raider's play?

Maybe you're just hyper critical of our team. Understandable, but if we're being honest & objective......

thunderkyss
11-10-2010, 01:38 PM

I don't really understand this about the Chiefs game. We didn't lead till the very end, but we were never out of that game. I know it sucks that we had to score 35 to win, but the Chiefs needed to score 36 & didn't.

I also don't understand the feeling about the second Colts game. They didn't have Addai & Clark so "naturally" we should win that game. We can lose Andre, Cushing, & Duane Brown for a game or two, & we still expect to win.

HTown2ATX
11-10-2010, 01:42 PM
You haven't noticed any inconsistency in the Raider's play?

Maybe you're just hyper critical of our team. Understandable, but if we're being honest & objective......

I am not saying the Raiders are world beaters. I am saying though that they had a huge game against a division opponent in KC who is actually turning out to be decent and they beat them. What happened when we had the same type of pressure against a DEPLETED Colts team for division control on MNF? Yes it was the Colts, but really it was just Peyton Manning and a bunch of no namers + Reggie Wayne that beat us. (Not to mention the coaching ie not running Foster :facepalm: )

Put the Texans in a high stakes game and unfortunately they crumble. That has been proven time and time again. Not every single time mind you, I am not saying that. But more often than not. That's as honest as you can get.

Repeat much of that against SD. No namers scorching the Texans D for the win. Yes Dre' catches that last ball and who knows. But guess what, Ajiritoutou or what ever the hell his name is should not be scorching the shit out of us.

The Colts and Chargers were depleted. If the Texans were right now as good as some want to say, those should have been W's. That is what a playoff team does. I am in no way saying the Texans are horrible and that the season is over. But seriously, no namers should not be having career days against the Texans.

This sums it up. A must listen. Funny to listen to about our Defense http://kilt.cbslocal.com/2010/11/08/whiner-texans-play-by-play-on-defense/

"Kareem Jackson falls down"

thunderkyss
11-10-2010, 02:07 PM
This sums it up. A must listen. Funny to listen to about our Defense http://kilt.cbslocal.com/2010/11/08/whiner-texans-play-by-play-on-defense/

Good stuff.....

Mr teX
11-10-2010, 02:15 PM
I am not saying the Raiders are world beaters. I am saying though that they had a huge game against a division opponent in KC who is actually turning out to be decent and they beat them. What happened when we had the same type of pressure against a DEPLETED Colts team for division control on MNF? Yes it was the Colts, but really it was just Peyton Manning and a bunch of no namers + Reggie Wayne that beat us. (Not to mention the coaching ie not running Foster :facepalm: )

Put the Texans in a high stakes game and unfortunately they crumble. That has been proven time and time again. Not every single time mind you, I am not saying that. But more often than not. That's as honest as you can get.

Repeat much of that against SD. No namers scorching the Texans D for the win. Yes Dre' catches that last ball and who knows. But guess what, Ajiritoutou or what ever the hell his name is should not be scorching the shit out of us.

The Colts and Chargers were depleted. If the Texans were right now as good as some want to say, those should have been W's. That is what a playoff team does. I am in no way saying the Texans are horrible and that the season is over. But seriously, no namers should not be having career days against the Texans.

Enough of this bs about everyone thinking it was a shoe-in to win the colts & chargers games just b/c they were "depleted". Those teams are battle tested & perrenial playoff teams & we're trying to get to that level. What exactly about that screams guaranteed win?

The colts still had their #1 WR & a very capable #2 guy opposite him in Garcon & of course the center piece, Manning under center. You add in the fact that we embarassed them last time out,, which meant they had incentive to come out hype & the fact that it was a road game for us & that game was tailor made for us to get spanked in.

As for the chargers, they had the #1 ranked offense & defense coming into that game for christ's sake. In addition, they also have a qb poised to set NFL records who's also playing at an MVP level. Don't let the record fool you, SD even with Gates & all those guys out where still a very dangerous team. Quite frankly i was just surprised that we had a chance to win the game at the end & that we actually took advantage of their ST woes & got 3 TO's.

Pantherstang84
11-10-2010, 02:19 PM

Eugene Wilson will leave some rose petals and a fruit basket...Har Har Har.:lol::lol::lol:

Texan_Bill
11-10-2010, 02:22 PM
4-4 equals middle of the pack. 14th is around the middle of the pack. Also consider that no team has less than 2 losses.

HTown2ATX
11-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Enough of this bs about everyone thinking it was a shoe-in to win the colts & chargers games just b/c they were "depleted". Those teams are battle tested & perrenial playoff teams & we're trying to get to that level. What exactly about that screams guaranteed win?

The colts still had their #1 WR & a very capable #2 guy opposite him in Garcon & of course the center piece, Manning under center. You add in the fact that we embarassed them last time out,, which meant they had incentive to come out hype & the fact that it was a road game for us & that game was tailor made for us to get spanked in.

As for the chargers, they had the #1 ranked offense & defense coming into that game for christ's sake. In addition, they also have a qb poised to set NFL records who's also playing at an MVP level. Don't let the record fool you, SD even with Gates & all those guys out where still a very dangerous team. Quite frankly i was just surprised that we had a chance to win the game at the end & that we actually took advantage of their ST woes & got 3 TO's.

Lol......

Never said guaranteed win or shoe in win.

However, my point was, this squad is supposed to be playoff caliber yes?

Other teams were very depleted....not missing just one or 2 guys but really depleted. Tamme on INDY and Ajorotoutou on SD are playoff battle tested?.......no

Shouldn't have been shoe in wins. I know it's the NFL, but a playoff bound team takes advantage of those situations and wins. Not get scorched by no namers who in fact are not battle tested i.e. Ajiritoutou and Tamme. Instead, INDY was a barf on themselves game and SD the wheels fell off. It's not like the INDY game was even one where we valiantly fought and lost. Fail.

Mr teX
11-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Lol......

Other teams were very depleted....not missing just one or 2 guys but really depleted. Tamme on INDY and Ajorotoutou on SD are playoff battle tested?.......no

Shouldn't have been shoe in wins. I know it's the NFL, but a playoff bound team takes advantage of those situations and wins. Not get scorched by no namers who in fact are not battle tested i.e. Ajiritoutou and Tamme. Instead, INDY was a barf on themselves game and SD the wheels fell off. It's not like the INDY game was even one where we valiantly fought and lost. Fail.

The main guys (manning & rivers) are battle tested & when you've got that under center, you're usually going to be fine.

& okay, both teams are missing key guys. You know what though, we are in the same boat. We lost our pro bowl leader in the middle in Ryans, another pro bowl guy in Daniels hasn't really been healthy enough to get back to form to work the middle of the field like he does & AJ has been battling an ankle injury since the 2nd game of the season that has prevented him from being 100% nearly all year. You add in the loss of Barwin who was slated to play a huge role on the defense this year & we're just about as depleted as the colts are.

I'm not getting on you dude, i just think that you're only looking at it from 1 side.

Ryan
11-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Here's a fun fact....

Miami W, Cincy W, Houston W this week andddddddddddd

Guess who's in 1st with a 2-1 division record? :evil:

Hey this is a TEXANS message board, no place for optimism. :mariopalm:

:kitten:

thunderkyss
11-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Lol......

Soooo... the Patriots aren't a playoff bound team??