PDA

View Full Version : Any team, any time, any where!!!!

thunderkyss
11-08-2010, 05:32 PM
There was a time not too long ago that the majority of us here on this board thought these Texans (minus Demeco, plus Kareem) could beat any team, any time, any where.

What's changed? There was a faction here who already thought the man was an itiot. I don't think he's gotten any dumbor....

I know we are giving up 400 yards a game & 24 points. I know that's not conducive to winning.

However, I don't think we've played our best football yet. I don't know what they are waiting on, but I know they are running out of time.

Overall, the San Diego game was a fail. I know that. But there are a few things we can look at, that can (I think should) give us hope going forward.

The #1 offense in the league had 9 possessions against us. 5 of the 9 ended with no points. 2 of them were turnovers (a fumble we forced & an INT we forced... Quinn forced another fumble, but they recovered it). The other 4 possessions, we allowed TDs. We've got to work on that, no question about it.

On the flip-side, we took the leagues #1 defense & scored on them 5 out of 10 possessions. Two touchdowns, three field goals.... (we turned it over 3 times, twice on downs, 1 INT). Need to work on turning those FGs to TDs....

That #1 defense is also now the #2 defense (The New York Giants are #1, a team we had trouble getting first downs against earlier in the season).

We took the team with the #1 offense & the #1 defense (playing our offense actually dropped their ranking) into the 4th Qtr with a lead (albeit only 2 points).

Most importantly, think about this. We are the #1 Red Zone offense. Wasn't that our biggest complaint last year, we moved the ball like nobody's business between the 20s, but sputter in the Red Zone.

What if we had to trade off some of that offense, to get that Red Zone performance, & have spent the last 9 weeks trying to get back our ability to move the ball, without sacrificing our Red Zone performance?

It's just an idea.

What if we can get last year's performance between the 20s with this years performance in the Red Zone.... & as an added bonus, we get last years defense as well.

To me, that's what it looks like we're seeing. If that is the case... who can't we beat?

Why can't we run the table?

wagonhed
11-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Honestly every post I read from you is just making up a new way to pretend like the Texans are really good. I don't get it. Why doctor the numbers to make things seem other than they are?

We suck. That's all there is to it.

Wolf
11-08-2010, 05:39 PM
this happened

http://imgur.com/JAWM9.jpg

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76808

HJam72
11-08-2010, 05:40 PM
OMG, we're gonna sweep the rest of our season! :goodpost:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_suck

Thorn
11-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Not everything TK is saying is untrue. The Texans have enough talent on this team to be 6-2 instead of 4-4 at this point. The problem is game management by a bunch of coaches that can't seem to utilize players correctly.

If that were to sudden change, so would the fortune of the Texans. I don't see it happening as long as Kubiak is in charge though. I guess if he was kidnapped by alien UFOs and had a brain transplant or something he might be better.

DexmanC
11-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Isn't that Kool-Aid a controlled substance? I don't see where this
pro-Kubiak myopia is coming from.

7-1 gets them into post season, 6-2 sends them home.

AINT' GONE HAPPEN.

I'd be surprised if there are 3 more wins on this schedule. There
are no Rams, Seahawks, and Bills to hide behind this season.

Dallas exposed the Texans, and EVERY team since has exploited the
sieve named Kareem Jackson, and Kubiak out-cutes himself all season
long.

HJam72
11-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Not everything TK is saying is untrue. The Texans have enough talent on this team to be 6-2 instead of 4-4 at this point. The problem is game management by a bunch of coaches that can't seem to utilize players correctly.

If that were to sudden change, so would the fortune of the Texans. I don't see it happening as long as Kubiak is in charge though. I guess if he was kidnapped by alien UFOs and had a brain transplant or something he might be better.

I agree, but many of us thought the same kind of thing when we had a different bunch of coaches and players. Turned out they almost ALL sucked, LOL.

CretorFrigg
11-08-2010, 05:49 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_suck

Haha! I'd like to point out that we won the game. Convincingly. :kitten:

HJam72
11-08-2010, 05:50 PM

Yeah, I saw that.

eriadoc
11-08-2010, 06:03 PM
There was a time not too long ago that the majority of us here on this board thought these Texans (minus Demeco, plus Kareem) could beat any team, any time, any where.

What's changed? There was a faction here who already thought the man was an itiot. I don't think he's gotten any dumbor....

I know we are giving up 400 yards a game & 24 points. I know that's not conducive to winning.

However, I don't think we've played our best football yet. I don't know what they are waiting on, but I know they are running out of time.

1.) I don't know anyone who thought that. The best I can say is that I had finally reached a point where I thought the Texans had a chance against any team - that the only team they couldn't beat was the Texans. Now, they don't have much of a chance of winning unless they score 30 points or more. And they can still do that from time to time, but it's not something that we should expect from week to week.

2.) I never thought he was dumb, but he makes decisions that are clearly outside of any realm the majority would call normal. If you win, you can do that kind of stuff. He doesn't, and hasn't.

3.) I don't know what else you need to see, but they have played their best football. In fact, the offense has put behind it two of its biggest problems from last year - turnovers and red zone scoring. But you simply cannot win consistently when you routinely give up as many yards and scores as the Texans give up. You think they have better football to play? I think you're high, and you ought to be sharing, Mr. Selfishness. This team is and has been playing their best football. This is what you get.

Not everything TK is saying is untrue. The Texans have enough talent on this team to be 6-2 instead of 4-4 at this point.

I completely reject that notion. All we keep hearing about is "this team has talent" blah blah blah. If this team had Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, and Jim Brown, but no offensive line, they'd get killed. Football is not a game where the "talent" here and there can overcome an entire unit's deficiency. This team has ZERO pressure from the DTs and ZERO coverage skill in the secondary. I don't care who else you stick out there with that garbage, their "talent" is not going to overcome a complete failure by an entire unit, much less two (secondary and half a DL).

This team is 4-4. I see no argument that they "should" have won any of the games they lost, and frankly, I can understand arguments that they "should" have lost to WAS and KC. They are what their record is.

And consistency? 8-8, 8-8, 9-7, and 4-4. That's pretty damn consistent, to paraphrase CP.

eriadoc
11-08-2010, 06:05 PM

Yeah, but it's Harvard, so no one care(s/d). Go practice medicine or law or something. :D

(just poking fun)

Rey
11-08-2010, 06:07 PM
I never felt like we could beat any team, any time, anywhere....

I always felt like we had a chance to beat any team in the leauge...But I wouldn't say I felt confident heading into every game...

But even if people had felt that way in the past that really has 0 to do with the present or the future...

Just because you feel one way about a team 3 months ago, doesn't mean you have to keep those feelings...

The team has shown/is showing their true colors....

I do think they have the talent to win, but I honestly think the coaching is sub par...It's a mindset with these guys. They are not consistently focused and they are not consistently put in the best situations to make plays...JMO...

Texecutioner
11-08-2010, 06:09 PM

You stood alone in that delusion.

HJam72
11-08-2010, 06:20 PM
I never felt like we could beat any team, any time, anywhere....

I always felt like we had a chance to beat any team in the leauge...But I wouldn't say I felt confident heading into every game...

But even if people had felt that way in the past that really has 0 to do with the present or the future...

Just because you feel one way about a team 3 months ago, doesn't mean you have to keep those feelings...

The team has shown/is showing their true colors....

I do think they have the talent to win, but I honestly think the coaching is sub par...It's a mindset with these guys. They are not consistently focused and they are not consistently put in the best situations to make plays...JMO...

I think they, particularly Kubiak, may actually be over-prepared in some ways. He acts like every decision has been made long before the game started, so why bother noticing whether we need a half yard or a whole yard. Well, because we can't get a whole yard on 4th down with a QB sneak against the Chargers, Gary!!! Wake up, pay attention, and stop trying to remember what you decided to do before you knew what the situation would even be!

Over-analysis. Stupid-on-the-fly. It's not chess. It's football...

Goatcheese
11-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Well you tried TK, but soapers just can't help ****ting in every thread on the forum.

Props to Eriadoc for atleast making a rational argument.

At this point I want Kubiak fired so the soapers will just STHU and let people actually discuss football without them dreaming up new reasons to dog the team so they can pile on some more hate.

JB
11-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Well you tried TK, but soapers just can't help ****ting in every thread on the forum.

At this point I want Kubiak fired so the soapers will just STHU and let people actually discuss football without them dreaming up new reasons to dog the team so they can pile on some more hate.

If they ain't doggin on Kubiak, they will find something else to deride the team about. Some people just ain't happy unless they bitchin'...

Jottoz
11-08-2010, 06:43 PM

Great Post! QFT

hradhak
11-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Well I guess the question really has become, why did our defense regress so much this year? Last year it was at least average. Our offense has fixed its deficiencies and probably could have stayed in some games had our defense showed up.

I hope that if we can't get it together this year on defense, at least the secondary gets enough reps to at least get out of the dumpster. But again, I don't know that it's all on the secondary.

thunderkyss
11-08-2010, 06:47 PM
You stood alone in that delusion.

I'm beginning to feel that way.

Thought I had a posse....

thunderkyss
11-08-2010, 06:49 PM

You gotta admit Kubiak isn't making it difficult for them to find new reasons.

HTown2ATX
11-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Isn't that Kool-Aid a controlled substance?

Jolly Ranchers in the cup mayne!!

Sittin-sittin sidewayz.... :drunk:

:)

eriadoc
11-08-2010, 06:56 PM

It is and always has been about results. I want Kubiak to succeed, because I like the hometown kid makes good story. I like the guy himself. He's a genuine, down-home kind of guy.

But you can't sit there and tell people that we can win with the collection of 6th and 7th round safeties we have and that we're OK at the position, and then not do it. You can't say that we don't need a big space-eating DT to accompany the 3-tech guys we have without showing you're right. You can't say that Kareem Jackson is the most NFL ready CB in the draft and then get these results. You can't say we're going young and we expect to make the playoffs with them and then fail this badly in the secondary. You can't continually say "It's on me" without people believing you.

And mostly, you can't build an entire team according to your specs, with your guys that you've chosen, and then turn out the WORST DEFENSE IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL. Well, I guess you can, but you better win with it, or the fans are going to recognize that you failed.

awtysst
11-08-2010, 07:00 PM
I am undecided. I want the team to excel. I am just not sure at the moment, if Kubes is the guy. I want him to be, becuase I genuinely like the guy, but I am unsure at the moment.

Hookem Horns
11-08-2010, 07:03 PM
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4177/davidvn.jpg

Goatcheese
Well I guess the question really has become, why did our defense regress so much this year? Last year it was at least average. Our offense has fixed its deficiencies and probably could have stayed in some games had our defense showed up.

I hope that if we can't get it together this year on defense, at least the secondary gets enough reps to at least get out of the dumpster. But again, I don't know that it's all on the secondary.

The loss of D-Rob and Reeves has really killed this defense. Those two could hold down their responsibilities, and in many cases cover for other guys.

One play yesterday stood out as a clear example of that.

One of the long bombs where it looked like KJ got burned actually should have been on Wilson. He was in a deep middle zone, and just bit on a shorter route and let the reciever run free behind him with KJ trailing. The same thing happened last year against Cinci but D-Rob came from 15 yards away and saved the TD.

Our safeties are just putrid. The second time KJ got burned deep he was supposed to have help over the top from the FS, but you see Troy Nolan come running in late, beaten even worse than KJ.

Quin can not handle man to man or a deep zone. He just doesn't match up with NFL talent. He looked like a solid #2 last year playing in the short zones underneath D-Rob, but they're asking him to step up into a role he doesn't fit and isn't capable of filling. KJ could be a good player, but with the rest of the secondary as bad as it is he's being asked to be Asomugha, and can't. He's a rookie and needs to have help rolled to his side frequently, but Bush rarely does. They're screwing up this kid's Psyche before he even has a chance to get his footing.

markn
Isn't that Kool-Aid a controlled substance? I don't see where this
pro-Kubiak myopia is coming from.

7-1 gets them into post season, 6-2 sends them home.

AINT' GONE HAPPEN.

Probably not. However, if the 6-2 included 4 wins in the division, then there's a small chance that a 10-6 record wins the AFC South.

/dreamin'

Goatcheese
11-08-2010, 07:15 PM
You gotta admit Kubiak isn't making it difficult for them to find new reasons.

I don't have a problem with people who think he's not doing a good job(hell I ***** about some of his decisions), but you have to give a better reason than he sucks, he's stupid, and he's an aggie. If you have a problem with his play calling you should be able to point out a reason beyond "it didn't work so it was the wrong call."

It is and always has been about results. I want Kubiak to succeed, because I like the hometown kid makes good story. I like the guy himself. He's a genuine, down-home kind of guy.

But you can't sit there and tell people that we can win with the collection of 6th and 7th round safeties we have and that we're OK at the position, and then not do it. You can't say that we don't need a big space-eating DT to accompany the 3-tech guys we have without showing you're right. You can't say that Kareem Jackson is the most NFL ready CB in the draft and then get these results. You can't say we're going young and we expect to make the playoffs with them and then fail this badly in the secondary. You can't continually say "It's on me" without people believing you.

And mostly, you can't build an entire team according to your specs, with your guys that you've chosen, and then turn out the WORST DEFENSE IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL. Well, I guess you can, but you better win with it, or the fans are going to recognize that you failed.

Can't argue with that, but I'm just tired of every single thread on the forum being filled with random posts that say nothing but "The Texans suck and if you say anything even remotely positive you are nuts!"

No logic. No reasoning. Just spamming the same copy/paste over and over. They're like zombies, but less intelligent.

thunderkyss
11-08-2010, 09:03 PM
I don't have a problem with people who think he's not doing a good job(hell I ***** about some of his decisions), but you have to give a better reason than he sucks, he's stupid, and he's an aggie. If you have a problem with his play calling you should be able to point out a reason beyond "it didn't work so it was the wrong call."

Can't argue with that, but I'm just tired of every single thread on the forum being filled with random posts that say nothing but "The Texans suck and if you say anything even remotely positive you are nuts!"

No logic. No reasoning. Just spamming the same copy/paste over and over. They're like zombies, but less intelligent.

I agree. I feel the same about the "coming out flat" or "not ready to play" posts...

OzzO
11-08-2010, 09:33 PM
...What's changed? There was a faction here who already thought the man was an itiot. I don't think he's gotten any dumbor....

...What if we can get last year's performance between the 20s with this years performance in the Red Zone.... & as an added bonus, we get last years defense as well.

To me, that's what it looks like we're seeing. If that is the case... who can't we beat?

Why can't we run the table?

I guess these are the questions you're asking - why can't we finish strong, basically.

Comparing this year to last...

- overall schedule difficulty is harder on paper since we finished 3rd two years ago to give us last year's schedule and then 2nd last year to get this schedule.

- last year's schedule started hard, finished soft. This year, it's flipped. I think the schedule gets harder (on paper) and more divisional opponents towards the end (which I like NFL-wide, good job schedulers - keeps it interesting all season long). Last year's soft finished wiped the bad start, not quite the 4 straight loss didvision games, and the first winning season cures all ills of a winning season starved fan base.

- overalll still seeing the slow starts, mis-managed games, interesting calls, and lack of leadership and fire - both on the sidelines and on the field.

- Kubiak was brought in to improve the offense from what we had with Capers (I think I recall seeing an article noting specifically that when I was looking around a few weeks ago for his goals when he came on.) Mission accomplished on that. He has improved it, and has become a "balanced" offense - though I thought he originally wanted to be a run-first offense, but couldn't find a quote back in the day. He's now noting "balanced" to the point even the players are mimicking the speak. The BAD thing is, I think he fears an "equal" on the defensive side. A true assistant head coach if you will. It's more to find a defensive coordinator who he's comfortable with and who may be just a little "slower" than HC Kubiak (IMO), just to have that little more of control so there's no looking over the shoulder.

- sorry, I think I digressed from your question - why can't we finish strong. We could - but unfortunately, I don't think we will. Based off what has already been seen at the beginning of this season, the beginning of last season, and the typcial November under this regieme. Letting a quality QB and backups beat us two weeks in a row kinda emptied my container o' kool-aid. And based on what I'm hearing from Kubiak (and even the players saying the same thing) of

"we gotta start playing better"
"we gotta stop the few big plays"
"we gotta play balanced"
"I've got to do better" by players equals the coach's "it's on me"

just tells me they're still talking, not showing, and really don't know what to do to improve. There's really not a focus, just words.

But anyway, I'm just babbling and I don't post enough recently to warrant the right to babble. But there's my thoughts.

Big Lou
11-08-2010, 10:23 PM
and then the fans turned on one another.............

:kubepalm:

Norg
11-09-2010, 12:54 AM
I know injurys happen but we dont take injurys real well

thunderkyss
11-09-2010, 04:46 AM
I know injurys happen but we dont take injurys real well

I thought we were managing injuries really well... I'm considering Cushing absence similar to an injury. & we're 3-1 in that period. Duane Brown being gone, Andre's ankle thing, Demeco, Owen....

I think @ 4-4, we can say the affect of injuries have been minimal. Right now, I would not think "injuries" should be used as why we are where we are.

We just need to finish.

hradhak
11-09-2010, 07:44 AM
I agree. I feel the same about the "coming out flat" or "not ready to play" posts...

I would say that a lot of this falls on the coach. The second through 8th weeks of the season we started out with too many 3 and outs. To be fair, our game plan to start against the Chargers was helped with the blocked punt and pounding the ball. I hope that Kubiak sees that as a way to keep us in games in the first half instead of having to scramble to keep up in the second. Keep pounding the rock, and I don't think we'll start out "flat" any more.

HOU-TEX
11-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Good ole TK. ;)