PDA

View Full Version : Where do you think the Texans should be if not 4-4?

Hervoyel
11-08-2010, 09:55 AM
I'm one of the unhappy in here. I'm disappointed in where we are, how we look, and what we've done. I'm a "hater" or a "whiner" if you want to call me that. I'm ready for a coaching change because in 4.5 NFL seasons I've seen enough to have come to the conclusion that we aren't getting much better. 8-8, 8-8, 9-7, and if our current pace holds again 8-8 looks to me like a certain coach & staff have hit their plateau.

That begs the question "what would have made me happy?" What was I expecting and looking back at the first half of the season where do I think the Texans should be? I think the season should look like this right now.

Week 1. Win over Indianapolis. Very nearly complete domination. 1-0
Week 2. Redskins comeback. A win we should have probably lost. 1-1
Week 3. Cowboys beat down. A loss we should won. 2-1
Week 4. Raiders road victory, This went as it should have. 3-1
Week 5. Giants beat down. We were destroyed in that game. 3-2
Week 6. Kansas City Chiefs. A home comeback that stands. 4-2
Week 7. Indianapolis rematch. We should have won that game. 5-2
Week 8. San Diego. We let a winnable game get away. 6-2

That's where I expect the Texans to be right now. They should be 6-2 in my opinion and the last two weeks losses have eclipsed anything that went wrong in the 6 weeks before that.

Where do you think the Texans should be right now?

TheCD
11-08-2010, 10:03 AM
I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but I honestly think this is a lucky 2-6 team at best.

I'm extremely happy that we pulled out some good wins, but there's absolutely no consistency with this team (yet again). All signs point to the fact that we should have lost both the Washington and Kansas City games, and it was a few lucky calls (or non-calls in some cases) that kept drives alive/killed opponents drives.

You can make a case that luck plays a huge part in football, but I have yet to see anything about this Texans team that screams that it is a good team. On top of all that, we almost blew a lead to Oakland as well.

I really hope the Texans can bring it all together. I'm not trying to be Mr. Doom-and-Gloom, but the truth is that they have yet to show any of us anything to be extremely hopeful for. The same Cowboys team that whooped the dog out of us was absolutely humiliated two weeks in a row. Good teams step on bad teams' throats...and that is something we absolutely cannot do this year.

gtexan02
11-08-2010, 10:06 AM
5-3 or 4-4 seems about right. We should have beat the Chargers. We were dominated by the Colts

FirstTexansFan
11-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Good teams step on bad teams' throats...and that is something we absolutely cannot do any year.

Correction :)

Blake
11-08-2010, 10:09 AM
We should be 6-2. We have said for years that to win the division we need to sweep or split our division games.

Week 1. Colts: 1-1 or 2-0 vs. the Colts this year.
Week 2. Redskins. Not that good of a team. Should have won handily.
Week 3. Cowboys. We got destroyed by a 1-7 team. Weak sauce.
Week 4. Raiders. Good win. Expected win.
Week 5. Giants. Good team that ran us out of our building. A good loss.
Week 6. Chiefs: Good running team, but being home should give us the edge in a W.
Week 7. Indianapolis. Expect 1-1 or 2-0. So a loss is acceptable, but disappointing.
Week 8. San Diego: Depleted SD team. Should have won by 2 TD's.

So looking back I expect this team to be 6-2 with losses to Indy and the Giants.

Buffi2
11-08-2010, 10:11 AM
I think 7-1 even though the Redskins win was something of a fluke - flukes happen on any given Sunday. The only game we lost where we were totally out of our element was the Giants. Well, we've been out of our element since the first Colts game but the Giants are clearly better than we are. The rest of the games were winnable and should have been wins.

Having said that, I'd be relatively happy if we were 5-3 with hope for the remaining season. I actually think ending this season at 8-8 is very optimistic.

I've lost hope for this season. The one hope I have is that I'm wrong about the remaining games.

gtexan02
11-08-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but I honestly think this is a lucky 2-6 team at best.

I'm extremely happy that we pulled out some good wins, but there's absolutely no consistency with this team (yet again). All signs point to the fact that we should have lost both the Washington and Kansas City games, and it was a few lucky calls (or non-calls in some cases) that kept drives alive/killed opponents drives.

You can make a case that luck plays a huge part in football, but I have yet to see anything about this Texans team that screams that it is a good team. On top of all that, we almost blew a lead to Oakland as well.

I really hope the Texans can bring it all together. I'm not trying to be Mr. Doom-and-Gloom, but the truth is that they have yet to show any of us anything to be extremely hopeful for. The same Cowboys team that whooped the dog out of us was absolutely humiliated two weeks in a row. Good teams step on bad teams' throats...and that is something we absolutely cannot do this year.

Who are the good teams this year?

The Jets, who only beat the lowly Lions because their QB and kicker got hurt and they attempted an extra point with a DT?

The Patriots, who got routed by the Browns?

The Saints, who also got routed by the Browns?

The Colts, who got beat by the Jags?

The phrase "Any Given Sunday" means that every team has a chance every week.

Grams
11-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Right where we are.

We are a .500 +/- 1 football team. I don't see up getting any better this year, but probably a lot worse.

I see maybe 2-3 more wins this year.

We can't beat the Titans and may split with the Jags. We cannot beat - beat-up teams with no receivers or TEs, then don't see a win over the Ravens or Jets. Maybe we can sneek a win over the Eagles and Broncos.

The way we have been playing I think we are lucky to be 4-4 right now and not 1-7.

HJam72
11-08-2010, 10:24 AM
We should be at least 5-3 because the Dallas loss was inexcusable.

DexmanC
11-08-2010, 10:40 AM
The Lions don't suck this year, in case you haven't heard.

GuerillaBlack
11-08-2010, 10:43 AM
We should at least be 5-3 right now, and if we had taken care of businesss yesterday 6-2. It shouldn't have been hard to beat the Colts on MNF. We should have ran it down their throats. The Texans let the Charger game slip away from them.

thunderkyss
11-08-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm one of the unhappy in here. I'm disappointed in where we are, how we look, and what we've done. I'm a "hater" or a "whiner" if you want to call me that. I'm ready for a coaching change because in 4.5 NFL seasons I've seen enough to have come to the conclusion that we aren't getting much better. 8-8, 8-8, 9-7, and if our current pace holds again 8-8 looks to me like a certain coach & staff have hit their plateau.

They should be 6-2 in my opinion and the last two weeks losses have eclipsed anything that went wrong in the 6 weeks before that.

I think the Texans should be 6-2 as well. Maybe even 7-1. The Cowboys game...... that was just pathetic. The Indy game... pathetic as well. I don't have a problem with the loss to the Chargers. Everyone talks about how great the Titans D is, & how great Jeff Fischer is & how great CJ2K is & how great VY is. (OK, maybe nobody talks about VY.) But I don't have a problem with the loss to San Diego.

The Giants....... We got beat up & smacked around, but as I said before, to start the second half, we forced a 3 & out. Offense should have scored (24-10). On the next Giants possession, we forced an INT, offense should have scored (24-17). On the next Giants possession, we forced another INT, offense should have scored (& they did) (24-24)........ End of the third Qtr, our defense allowed a field goal (30-24). We should have gone into the 4th Qtr down by 3, with a chance to win.

So I think we should have won that game as well.

Last year, we lost 6 of our 7 games because of some of the goofiest things I've ever seen on a football field. A fumble at the goal line, A fumble crossing the goal line, an INT thrown after AJ fell down, etc...

This year, the only goofy play I saw, was the ball bouncing off Andre's knee that was trapped by a defender for an INT. Maybe the trade off to that is a slower starting offense. Eh, I'll take it as long as the offense does get started.

We had trouble getting started in every game but Yesterday's, Wk 1 vs the Colts, & Oakland. Those games started with a heavy dose of running the football..... even though Arian didn't start vs Oakland.

Yesterday we played good football. We lost, but it was good football. That was the #2 defense in the league, & we moved the ball almost at will. Big improvement on where we've been.

The defense still has issues, but none of the offenses we will face will be anything like what we've seen the last two weeks. Denver may be the closest..... Jets & Ravens are as off & on as we are.

I would love to be 7-1 right now. I would love to be able to sit a few players in the final weeks of the season. Had no idea we would be sitting here at 4-4.

But it is what it is.

eriadoc
11-08-2010, 10:47 AM
4-4 should make us all happy, because it's an easy argument that we should have lost to WAS and KC.

The Texans have come out flat five times this season. Yesterday wasn't one of them, thankfully, and that is why they were in the game until the end. In many ways, I'm somewhat encouraged by yesterday's game. They ran the ball like they should have. Really, it all boils down to one thing -

There are only a few teams that can consistently score 4+ TDs per game, and whoever plays the Texans is one of them. As someone pointed out on the radio this morning, every game we trot Kareem "The Most NFL Ready" Jackson out there to start, we're 2 TDs in the hole.

gwallaia
11-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Our defense is simply not good enough for us to win more games. I'm pissed about 4-4 as well but with our defense, its a surprise we are not 0-8.

Texan_Bill
11-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Re: Where do you think the Texans should be if not 4-4?

In hell, with their fans.

Goatcheese
11-08-2010, 11:13 AM
I think they should be 5-3. The Colts are a team we are built to beat, and we only lost to them because the O-line forgot how to pass protect and Kubes didn't compensate for their epic fail by just running Foster down the Colts throat.

We didn't play well against the Giants or Cowboys so I can't say we should have beaten them.

We went blow for blow with the Chargers and came up one punch short. It didn't help that the ref blocked a couple of our haymakers, but being screwed by piss poor refs has become the standard and they have to learn to overcome it. If we played them 10 times I think we beat them 6.

gtexan02
11-08-2010, 12:16 PM
The Lions don't suck this year, in case you haven't heard.

Yes they do. They are 2-6, and their only wins came against St. Louis and Washington.

They have a below average offense and a relatively poor defense.

They have almost no running game and can't stop the run either.

Theyve played teams close all year, but they still suck. They are bottom 10 in the NFL easily

DX-TEX
11-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Yes they do. They are 2-6, and their only wins came against St. Louis and Washington.

They have a below average offense and a relatively poor defense.

They have almost no running game and can't stop the run either.

Theyve played teams close all year, but they still suck. They are bottom 10 in the NFL easily

They show 100x more heart and desire than the Texans do at this point.

BigBull17
11-08-2010, 12:27 PM

So does the tin man.

gtexan02
11-08-2010, 12:56 PM

This board has completely lost it. No one is talking with any amount of reason anymore.

We have had 2 unbelieveable comeback wins this season. We blasted Indy in that first game.

We played well for 3.5 quarters yesterday as well.

We looked great against what we now know is a very competent Raiders team.

Have we laid a few eggs? Sure.

But don't tell me that the Lions are showing 100x more heart and desire than us. What does that even mean? Have you watched all the Lions games? They have been folding in the 4th quarter repeatedly in close games.

dalemurphy
11-08-2010, 01:04 PM
This board has completely lost it. No one is talking with any amount of reason anymore.

We have had 2 unbelieveable comeback wins this season. We blasted Indy in that first game.

We played well for 3.5 quarters yesterday as well.

We looked great against what we now know is a very competent Raiders team.

Have we laid a few eggs? Sure.

But don't tell me that the Lions are showing 100x more heart and desire than us. What does that even mean? Have you watched all the Lions games? They have been folding in the 4th quarter repeatedly in close games.

I don't agree with that statement. However, there is a point there. The Lions are playing much closer to there capabilities than the Texans are. The Texans are about to blow the organization's best opportunity to make the playoffs. Indy is down, Tennessee isn't particularly good and the Texans continue to perform horribly on defense and inconsistently on offense.

DX-TEX
11-08-2010, 01:07 PM

We have had 2 unbelieveable comeback wins this season. We blasted Indy in that first game.And then got competely embarrassed in the 2nd game we should have won.

We played well for 3.5 quarters yesterday as well.Because yes doing everything 75% is awesome! Yet your complaint about the Lions is that they dont finish....hmmmmm

We looked great against what we now know is a very competent Raiders team.Foster looked good. The team was ok and dont forget McFadden was out the 2nd half. Its all about conistancy

Have we laid a few eggs? Sure.Sooner or later those "eggs" have to stop. Its almost predictable now when these eggs will be laid.

But don't tell me that the Lions are showing 100x more heart and desire than us. What does that even mean? Have you watched all the Lions games? They have been folding in the 4th quarter repeatedly in close games.see above response. They also are making young team mistakes. Mistakes WE are still making 4 years into the Kubiak regime

Answers in bold.

Texan_Bill
11-08-2010, 01:09 PM
So does the tin man.

So what does Stacy McLady have to do with anything?? :runaway:

SheTexan
11-08-2010, 01:20 PM
In hell, with their fans.

I'm right there with Bill!!

Should be 6-2. Realistically, 2-6 (we lucked out in Wash and Oakland.) Outplayed in both games. JMO.

TheCD
11-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Who are the good teams this year?

The Jets, who only beat the lowly Lions because their QB and kicker got hurt and they attempted an extra point with a DT?

The Patriots, who got routed by the Browns?

The Saints, who also got routed by the Browns?

The Colts, who got beat by the Jags?

The phrase "Any Given Sunday" means that every team has a chance every week.

The Giants have looked monstrous as of late. The Packers have looked very good at times as well. My point isn't that certain teams look dominant, it is that good teams can put the pedal to the metal, so to speak, and crush their oppenents will.

The Giants weren't going to let the Seahawks even pretend they had a chance to come back yesterday. The Packers stuck it to the Cowboys and showed them why they are in the basement of the NFC East.

Show me one team...just one this year that we have played that we didn't even let them get a sniff of a comeback. The Colts certainly could have in week one. Our defense let them have some ridiculous scores.

Texan_Bill
11-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Where do you think the Texans should be if not 4-4?

8-0? :thinking:

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0618/nfl_i_schaub_480.jpg

thunderkyss
11-08-2010, 01:56 PM
The Giants have looked monstrous as of late. The Packers have looked very good at times as well. My point isn't that certain teams look dominant, it is that good teams can put the pedal to the metal, so to speak, and crush their oppenents will.

The Giants weren't going to let the Seahawks even pretend they had a chance to come back yesterday. The Packers stuck it to the Cowboys and showed them why they are in the basement of the NFC East.

So are you saying the Patriots isn't a good team?

GuerillaBlack
11-08-2010, 02:00 PM
I'm right there with Bill!!

Should be 6-2. Realistically, 2-6 (we lucked out in Wash and Oakland.) Outplayed in both games. JMO.

I can understand some people saying we lucked out in Washington, but how did we luck out in Oakland?

TheCD
11-08-2010, 02:58 PM
So are you saying the Patriots isn't a good team?

Not at all. I was just pointing out that the Giants and Packers have crushed teams this year. I can't recall the Patriots doing so this year. However, the Patriots have proven talent on their team and can afford to suffer a blowout without worrying about the wheels falling off.

I think the difference between their team and ours is that the Patriots will come out next game angry and take it out on their opponents. The Texans just "focus on the next game".

wagonhed
11-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Actually I think we are a lucky 3-5 team. Insane luck gave us the Skins and Chiefs wins, but luck also took away the Chargers game if we want to look at it that way. But I pretty much agree with you.

Blake
11-08-2010, 03:39 PM

see above response. They also are making young team mistakes. Mistakes WE are still making 4 years into the Kubiak regime

Dont the Texans have the youngest TEAM in the league? So shouldnt the Lions be playing more mistake free ball?

Speedy
11-08-2010, 04:06 PM

You shouldn't get any flak for it. They're just a couple of plays away from being 2-6.

beerlover
11-08-2010, 04:15 PM

That begs the question "what would have made me happy?" What was I expecting and looking back at the first half of the season where do I think the Texans should be? I think the season should look like this right now.

Week 1. Win over Indianapolis. Very nearly complete domination. 1-0
Week 2. Redskins comeback. A win we should have probably lost. 1-1
Week 3. Cowboys beat down. A loss we should won. 2-1
Week 4. Raiders road victory, This went as it should have. 3-1
Week 5. Giants beat down. We were destroyed in that game. 3-2
Week 6. Kansas City Chiefs. A home comeback that stands. 4-2
Week 7. Indianapolis rematch. We should have won that game. 5-2
Week 8. San Diego. We let a winnable game get away. 6-2

That's where I expect the Texans to be right now. They should be 6-2 in my opinion and the last two weeks losses have eclipsed anything that went wrong in the 6 weeks before that.

damn it if Commissioner Roger Goodell wants parity then he's going to get parity, don't blame Kubiak he is just doing his owners bidding. Texans are exactly where he wants them playing .500. my pre-season prediction .500 :barman:

J/K (about the Goodell thing couldn't resist).

Hervoyel
11-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Dont the Texans have the youngest TEAM in the league? So shouldnt the Lions be playing more mistake free ball?

Depends on how you look at it. If you go by average age of the players then we're making more mistakes but if you go by how long each teams head coach & staff has had to work with the players then they should be making more mistakes.

If you go by who has Gary Kubiak calling the plays then obviously we make more mistakes. That kind of goes without saying.

thunderkyss
11-08-2010, 05:27 PM
You shouldn't get any flak for it. They're just a couple of plays away from being 2-6.

At the same time, we're a couple of plays away from being 6-2.

Rey
11-08-2010, 05:36 PM
7-1

Our only loss should have been against the Giants. Even though we killed ourselves in that game too, I think all of the other games were there for us to take. We were never in the Giants game.

False Start
11-08-2010, 05:57 PM
I think 5-3. The loss to the Girls was pathetic. :smiliepalm:

Norg
11-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Jeckle and hyde team

4-4 seems about right :mariopalm:

wagonhed
11-08-2010, 06:41 PM
At the same time, we're a couple of plays away from being 6-2.
No, not really. The only close game we lost was the Chargers. So as long as we are taking a couple plays here and giving a couple there, we would be 3-5, losing to the Chiefs and Skins and beating the Chargers.

HJam72
11-08-2010, 06:45 PM
A few really bad plays and we could be 1-7. Kubiak should get a raise. :sarcasm:

thunderkyss
11-08-2010, 08:57 PM
No, not really. The only close game we lost was the Chargers. So as long as we are taking a couple plays here and giving a couple there, we would be 3-5, losing to the Chiefs and Skins and beating the Chargers.

I thought we were using my math.