PDA

View Full Version : Packers to cut Al Harris/signed by Miami

TEXANS84
11-08-2010, 08:44 AM
Per profootballtalk.com

We need to go after him, and go after him bad. I'm sick of seeing #25 trailing a touchdown pass to undrafted rookie FA's.

BigBull17
11-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Per profootballtalk.com

We need to go after him, and go after him bad. I'm sick of seeing #25 trailing a touchdown pass to undrafted rookie FA's.

Yeah, if we don't sign him the minute he hits the street, Ill puke. He may not be as good as he once was, but we need help BAD.

gtexan02
11-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Why are they cutting him?

Stemp
11-08-2010, 09:05 AM

He's not better than Vista.

Hardcore Texan
11-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Absolutely need to bring him in for a workout, if he's got anything left at all it will be an upgrade.

NitroGSXR
11-08-2010, 09:21 AM
We sign him, we don't sign him. Who gives a shit. The Patriots are winning with silly new nonames. The Titans constistenly replace key personnel. The Colts find ways to win with whereintheworlddidhecomefrom?! The Steelers lose their starting QB and win 3 of 4 to open the season.

Sure luck's part of the game but so is good coaching. As long as we have Kubiak/Smith runnng things together... it will NOT matter who we sign so I don't give a rat's butt.

The Houston Texans are gay.

ChampionTexan
11-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Does anybody know if he has to go through the waiver wire, and if not, what's the difference between him and Randy Moss?

CloakNNNdagger
11-08-2010, 09:39 AM

Because of knee and leg injuries (specifically, he tore the ACL, the LCL, the IT band, the fibular collateral ligament and the hamstring in his left leg last November) he suffered last year, he was put on PUP because he was not able to return to playing condition in time for the season. The Pack only got him back practicing 2 1/2 weeks ago, and must have decided that he still wasn't ready to come back. Rather than put him on the active list to take up a spot or on IR, they chose to release him. That tells me "Buyer Beware."

beerlover
11-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Because of knee and leg injuries (specifically, he tore the ACL, the LCL, the IT band, the fibular collateral ligament and the hamstring in his left leg last November) he suffered last year, he was put on PUP because he was not able to return to playing condition in time for the season. The Pack only got him back practicing 2 1/2 weeks ago, and must have decided that he still wasn't ready to come back. Rather than put him on the active list to take up a spot or on IR, they chose to release him. That tells me "Buyer Beware."

perfect, then Texans must sign him :smiliepalm:

TEXANS84
11-08-2010, 10:16 AM

I'd almost take a Al Harris on crutches than #25.

BigBull17
11-08-2010, 11:03 AM
We sign him, we don't sign him. Who gives a shit. The Patriots are winning with silly new nonames. The Titans constistenly replace key personnel. The Colts find ways to win with whereintheworlddidhecomefrom?! The Steelers lose their starting QB and win 3 of 4 to open the season.

Sure luck's part of the game but so is good coaching. As long as we have Kubiak/Smith runnng things together... it will NOT matter who we sign so I don't give a rat's butt.

The Houston Texans are gay.

Oh, I agree. Just need to put smarter players into our cracker jack scheme.

NitroGSXR
11-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Oh, I agree. Just need to put smarter players into our cracker jack scheme.

Well duh!! These players are too smart to buy themselves into this coaching inepitude. McNair needs to enter Kubiak into the Great Firing race to be held later today. I think he can beat out Wade Phillips.

eriadoc
11-08-2010, 11:15 AM
If Al Harris can come in and impart any wisdom or knowledge to these young corners at all, then he's worth the roster spot.

Hardcore Texan
11-08-2010, 11:26 AM
If Al Harris can come in and impart any wisdom or knowledge to these young corners at all, then he's worth the roster spot.

That's what I was thinking, and I wasn't aware of the extent of the injuries though. We need the veteran leadership for sure.

Wolf
11-08-2010, 11:34 AM
I have pretty much given up on the Texans picking anyone up.. They find reasons to not sign someone.. hell as bad as our secondary is, i'd almost wish they would look at reeves again..at least he was on the tv screen when the receiver caught the ball

BrandonLwowski
11-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Pack your bags Al your coming to houston. Wait Nevermind we are sticking with our young, last in the NFL against the pass, DBs and Safeties. We dont need a player like this to help our team, we are good where we are. No need to panic :panic:

BigBull17
11-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Pack your bags Al your coming to houston. Wait Nevermind we are sticking with our young, last in the NFL against the pass, DBs and Safeties. We dont need a player like this to help our team, we are good where we are. No need to panic :panic:

Pubes is gonna sink or swim with his guys. Well, sink with his guys, cause he aint swimming with the 400lb Piano named Kareem Jackson.

Yankee_In_TX
11-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Neither will happen.

But I'm for Al Harris and Wade Phillips as DC!

TheCD
11-08-2010, 03:08 PM
I have pretty much given up on the Texans picking anyone up.. They find reasons to not sign someone.. hell as bad as our secondary is, i'd almost wish they would look at reeves again..at least he was on the tv screen when the receiver caught the ball

Amen to that, my friend. I was watching a game yesterday and saw a nice arc by the QB to a WR who was well covered. My first thought was...man I miss seeing Reeves let his receiver catch the ball with his own hand only inches away.

To think what I wouldn't give to see that instead of Kareem "I'm gonna need a 25-yard cushion or you'll burn me" Jackson.

HOU-TEX
11-08-2010, 03:10 PM
He's likely better than what we've witnessd this season, but he is 36 and coming off a severe knee injury

tedr
11-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Neither will happen.

But I'm for Al Harris and Wade Phillips as DC!

Too bad Wade can't start here tomorrow...

MFG16
11-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Too bad Wade can't start here tomorrow...

Wade phillips just got fired. So this should read too bad Mcnair won't make the move.

Hardcore Texan
11-08-2010, 03:21 PM
I think it's a little early to hear so many folks being this hard on Kareem Jackson. He's a rookie, and has only played 8 games, against some pretty good QB's.

Blame Frank Bush, Kubiak and Rick Smith for not having better support around him and a shitty ass scheme. If he doesn't pan out, I'll be in fast agreement but it's way too soon to judge the young man.

As far as Al Harris goes, bring him in, even if he can't return to form until much later, maybe he'll be a 100% by next year, this year is a lost cause anyway. Maybe next season we'll have a better DC and possibly more.

Hervoyel
11-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Al Harris is waived.... and Kareem Jackson falls down.

Runner
11-08-2010, 03:40 PM
He's likely better than what we've witnessd this season, but he is 36 and coming off a severe knee injury

It's sad these statements don't conflict.

No More 8-8's
11-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Speaking of the Packers, I have a gut feeling Kareem Jackson is Ahmad Carrol version 2.0. He will be out of this league faster than you can say Bennie Joppru.

playa465
11-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Al Harris is waived.... and Kareem Jackson falls down.

:spit:

False Start
11-08-2010, 06:01 PM
N.D. Kalu said on the radio this morning that he thought the Texans should have signed Aaron Glenn to play 15-20 snaps a game to mentor these young guys. He said he knows for a fact he would have done it. He may not me the old AG, but hell he could have done better than the Cover Who Crew.

Wolf
11-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Assuming Harris is still healthy, the reality is that the Packers don't need him. With Charles Woodson still chugging along and Tramon Williams arguably eclipsing Woodson and rookie Sam Shields coming along nicely (he had an impressive interception in Sunday night's 45-7 win over the Cowboys), Harris may not have gotten on the field much if he hadn't been cut.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/3.php

Houston Texans

Williams was signed by the Houston Texans as an undrafted free agent on May 2, 2006 but was released in the final preseason roster reduction. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramon_Williams)

ain't that a "B"

Texan_Bill
11-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Not unlike Ogunleye, at least kick the tires.

JB
11-08-2010, 09:05 PM
If he can pass a physical, I don't think there is anyway he falls to the Texans thru the waiver process.

mootini
11-09-2010, 07:44 AM
No way...damaged goods...you guys can have him!

mootini
11-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Looks like the Jags are going after Terrence Wheatley..pending physical..here is the tweeter. https://twitter.com/taniaganguli

Now, here is a guy who has some injury issues, but is young and a player. I think this is a good risk to pick up over Al Harris.

drewmar74
11-09-2010, 01:07 PM
N.D. Kalu said on the radio this morning that he thought the Texans should have signed Aaron Glenn to play 15-20 snaps a game to mentor these young guys. He said he knows for a fact he would have done it. He may not me the old AG, but hell he could have done better than the Cover Who Crew.

Aw, man.

ffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuddddddgggggggeeeeeeeee

That would have been sweet.

HOU-TEX
11-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Not unlike Ogunleye, at least kick the tires.

Harris' tires might fall off if they're kicked

BigBull17
11-09-2010, 02:39 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/3.php

ain't that a "B"

Eh, that's 4 years ago. Four years in our cracker jack defense and he would be stocking shelves at Wal-Mart.

False Start
11-09-2010, 07:08 PM
@LanceZierlein: Sources close to Texans tell me they are inquiring about Al Harris. Look for Texans to bring him in for workout.

@LanceZierlein: Al Harris can still play but became disgruntled in Green Bay about inability to get in the field.

lostboy
11-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Screw the workout... if the man can come to Houston and walk through the door without falling down... hand him a contract...:truck:

drewmar74
11-09-2010, 08:09 PM
@LanceZierlein: Sources close to Texans tell me they are inquiring about Al Harris. Look for Texans to bring him in for workout.

@LanceZierlein: Al Harris can still play but became disgruntled in Green Bay about inability to get in the field.

Sweet.

Thanks for posting that.

Deshea Townsend is now available, too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/09/colts-cut-deshea-townsend-declare-sanders-and-collie-out-for-week-10/

Nawzer
11-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Beggars can't be choosers. Sign Al Harris and at the very least he gives KJ pointers on how not to completely loose receivers.

playa465
11-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Beggars can't be choosers. Sign Al Harris and at the very least he gives KJ pointers on how not to completely loose receivers.

^^^ This...KJ needs the veteran presence to assist with the small parts of the game that we fans dont see. To recognize receiver moves, formations that may be common to some teams, to trust in his instinctions at times...coaches can only do a part of it plus the coaches are not out there on the field during the game...there are times you need that current player who has played the position in the NFL (longer than a year or 2) to be that voice to the rookie. Almost all of us have recognized this but for some reason the coaches either refuse to acknowledge it or realized it too late after the fact and plan to stick to their plan to save face.

hot pickle
11-09-2010, 10:23 PM
please sign al harris rick!!!! PLEASE!!!

RazorOye
11-10-2010, 07:48 AM
@LanceZierlein: Al Harris can still play but became disgruntled in Green Bay

this scenario worked out well for the Saints and Mike McKenzie

CloakNNNdagger
11-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Screw the workout... if the man can come to Houston and walk through the door without falling down... hand him a contract...:truck:

That would fit right in with the strict criteria for our other secondary.

Ole Miss Texan
11-10-2010, 10:17 AM

That would fit right in with the strict criteria for our other secondary.

Step 1: Open door and walk through.

Did you fall down? If answer is no, please sign contract at front desk. If answer is yes, please proceed to step 2.

Step 2: Walk to front desk.

Can you read this contract on the desk? If answer is yes, please sign contract. If answer is no, wait to get slapped in the face and then sign contract.

Step 3: Proceed to Texans locker room and pick any damn locker you want.

MeLoveTexans
11-10-2010, 10:21 AM
According to Adam Wexler's Twitter.

awexler Not #Texans, as expected RT @RavensInsider: Veteran CB Al Harris has signed a 1-yr deal w/ Miami, according to his agent, Jack Bechta.

drewmar74
11-10-2010, 11:28 AM
According to Adam Wexler's Twitter.

awexler Not #Texans, as expected RT @RavensInsider: Veteran CB Al Harris has signed a 1-yr deal w/ Miami, according to his agent, Jack Bechta.

Damn.

False Start
11-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Oh well, I wasn't really expecting the Texans to sign him. I guess its the Cover Who Crew from here on out...... :mariopalm:

BIG TORO
11-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Another AFC team makes a move, at least the dolphins had the balls. It would make too much since to acquire someone that we desperatly need!:kubepalm:

gtexan02
11-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Lets not jump to conclusions here.

Be honest: If you were going to join a team to try and get your last contract, would you choose the absolute worst defense in the NFL where you are likely just going to look awful?

No way the Texans could have gotten him for a 1 year deal

We have no idea if the Texans tried to sign him

silvrhand
11-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Maimi released their starting CB though, can he be a help?

To make room for Harris, the Dolphins waived CB Jason Allen in what was a surprising move, considering Allen had started the first seven games.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/11/10/dolphins-reportedly-sign-cb-al-harris/

False Start
11-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Maimi released their starting CB though, can he be a help?

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/11/10/dolphins-reportedly-sign-cb-al-harris/

It couldn't hurt to bring him in for a look.

CloakNNNdagger
11-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Some background: (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/football/dolphins/sfl-jason-allen-dolphins-111010,0,3478152.story)
The Dolphins finally divorced themselves from former first-round pick Jason Allen on Wednesday.

The move wouldn't have been surprising at any point in Allen's career, except perhaps now, in what had arguably been the defensive back's most productive year, even though Bengals wideout Terrell Owens had termed Allen a "liability" after the Dolphins' 22-14 win Oct. 31.

After that game, Owens offered a damning account of the game's events: "They realized 32 [Allen's number] was a liability out there. Once we exploited that a couple times he saw no more of the field."

Allen, drafted by Nick Saban in 2006 with the 16th overall pick in the draft out of Tennessee, was released by the Dolphins after an uneven first half of the season that still saw him pick off three passes, tied for ninth-best in the NFL.

Dolphins waived CB Jason Allen. (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/40110106/ns/sports-player_news/)
Just when Allen appeared to be turning his career around, he went back in the tank. The No. 16 overall pick in the 2006 draft (a Nick Saban selection), Allen was shuttled between safety and corner throughout his first four seasons. The light seemed to flip on when Allen beat out Sean Smith fair and square to start at right cornerback and picked off three early-season passes, but the bottom fell out quickly thereafter. It will be interesting to see if he's claimed on waivers. Allen has never lacked in the talent department.

PockyAF
11-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Another AFC team makes a move, at least the dolphins had the balls. It would make too much since to acquire someone that we desperatly need!:kubepalm:
Ignorance at it's finest.

Texans fans - Source close to Al Harris tells me that the Texans pushed hard for him, but he's from Miami & wanted to be back home.

Coming from Harris camp, according to LZ.

I'm hoping we can at least the consolation prize of Jason Allen; don't know how much of a difference it would make mid-way through the season.

drewmar74
11-11-2010, 04:51 PM
I'm hoping we can at least the consolation prize of Jason Allen; don't know how much of a difference it would make mid-way through the season.

Couldn't hurt going forward

jaayteetx
11-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Ignorance at it's finest.

Coming from Harris camp, according to LZ.

Done, claimed today.