PDA

View Full Version : I really hate to even bring this up, but I couldn't stop thinking about it.

Carr Bombed
11-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Remember all the people who wanted Clay Mathews?

Sometimes you just can't mess with bloodlines, that guy was been a beast...Cushing needs to pick up his play, because I'm starting to get worried. Lol, I wonder what Bruce thinks right now.

Hervoyel
11-07-2010, 10:45 PM
I can't think too much about that because I really wanted to see them take Matthews. I sort of thought there was a roid risk with either one of them but I had it in my mind that if we took Matthews and he ended up busting (be it for riods or anything else) Texans fans would be more forgiving of them taking a shot at Clay than Brian. We have a connection to that family and they produce some incredible football players.

But that connection means nothing to the Texans. It carried zero weight. I bet you could go back in time and put together a hell of a draft just picking after us and taking the next player at the same position we took who came off the board.

Goatcheese
11-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Mathews looks like I expected him to in a 3-4 with the limited skill set required for the position. He would be about as good in a 4-3 as Merriman, which is to say not very. Moving Mathews to SAM in a 4-3 would be about like moving Cushing to SS.

DexmanC
11-07-2010, 11:10 PM
I agree with Billick and Baldinger when they say the Texans' defense
isn't suffering from personnel, but rather SCHEME. Offenses are NOT
confused about our SCHEME, and they know where to go with the ball
BEFORE the snap.

Fix the DC, fix the defense. Dom Capers is an A-rated DC, and his players
have looked top-flight since he joined the Packers.

dream_team
11-07-2010, 11:13 PM
BEFORE the snap.

Agree 100%! Too bad we can't make a change in scheme mid-season.

DiehardChris
11-07-2010, 11:17 PM
I did want Matthews over Cushing, but as good as Matthews has been - he is a pure pass-rusher. He's not asked to cover, so we don't really know if he would be any good in a 4-3. Cushing was certainly not a one-dimensional player LAST year, but not sure what we have in 2010 until later in the year.

beerlover
11-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Matthews was the consensus pick but I think the Texans knew Brian was a better fit for SAM in Frank Bushes 4-3. If Texans used 3-4 defense & needed a OLB they would have probably gone with Matthews. I feel as if we are a prisioner of the 4-3 now without DeMeco to run it. I think moving Cushing to MIKE was a mistake because he has to think & handle too many responsibilties instead of using instincts & raw power we saw as a raw rookie coming off the edge @ his more natural SAM position.

Norg
11-07-2010, 11:39 PM
Cushing needs to go back to OLB

Just admit you made a wrong choice Kubes ****

dont go with the same thing over and over and over and over agian if its not working

Hagar
11-07-2010, 11:56 PM
BEFORE the snap.

While I completely agree with Billick and Baldinger, there is a scheme issue; I also believe we have personnel issues as well. Our DTs have not played up to par. A new scheme might help Amobi Okoye, but the man has not shucked a block since he got here. I specifically watched him on several plays today and he got beat like a step child.

The corners are extremely young and have yet to prove anything. Why we didn't go out and get an experienced corner to replace Robinson is beyond me.

While Pollard is second among safeties in tackles, neither Pollard nor Wilson have an interception and only 5 pass defenses between them.

Finally, Mario is simply not producing. As of today, he has 6 sacks ~ not bad, but only 14 solo tackles. The league lead is 34. I'm not saying Mario should lead the league in tackles, less than half of the leagues lead is simply unacceptable from a #1 overall pick. Antonio Smith's numbers are even worse.

The short of it is, if we didn't have linebackers, we wouldn't have a defense.

Yes, a poor scheme can explain a lot of issues we have on our defense, but it can't explain all of them.

As far as the scheme goes, I will say this; why did we think we'd get anything different from Bush, then what we got from Smith?

CloakNNNdagger
11-08-2010, 06:38 AM
Matthews was the consensus pick but I think the Texans knew Brian was a better fit for SAM in Frank Bushes 4-3. If Texans used 3-4 defense & needed a OLB they would have probably gone with Matthews. I feel as if we are a prisioner of the 4-3 now without DeMeco to run it. I think moving Cushing to MIKE was a mistake because he has to think & handle too many responsibilties instead of using instincts & raw power we saw as a raw rookie coming off the edge @ his more natural SAM position.

I see this as just one more player on our D this year that is "learning on the job." Too many of those around these players that are supposed to "support" the learners are relatively inexperienced or weak themselves. I almost see this as a bomb squad built on "see one, do one, teach one".......with the team leader outfitted with his lucky shiney coin, solely there for making those important definitive on-the-fly decisions quickly. In either case, how long do you expect to go without getting "blown up?":cool:

TimeKiller
11-08-2010, 08:09 AM
We could've switched to 3/4 and had Matthews on one edge and Barwin on the other. That would've been a sight to see.

No More 8-8's
11-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Frankly, Cushing just does not look good at all out there. I am not sure if its the new position, but the guy has just disappeared.

Blake
11-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Remember all the people who wanted Clay Mathews?

Sometimes you just can't mess with bloodlines, that guy was been a beast...Cushing needs to pick up his play, because I'm starting to get worried. Lol, I wonder what Bruce thinks right now.

Clay's talents would have been wasted in Houston. All he does is blitz the QB every stinking play. Had we taken Clay and Cushing went to GB, we would be having the exact same conversation about Cushing.

Hervoyel
11-08-2010, 09:06 AM
I see this as just one more player on our D this year that is "learning on the job." Too many of those around these players that are supposed to "support" the learners are relatively inexperienced or weak themselves. I almost see this as a bomb squad built on "see one, do one, teach one".......with the team leader outfitted with his lucky shiney coin, solely there for making those important definitive on-the-fly decisions quickly. In either case, how long do you expect to go without getting "blown up?":cool:

I find myself wondering why Ryans backup isn't playing in his place instead of moving Cushing over and weakening two positions in DeMeco's absence.

I mean, what's the point of having a guy behind DeMeco if he can't be counted on to step up when called upon?

Hervoyel
11-08-2010, 09:08 AM
We could've switched to 3/4 and had Matthews on one edge and Barwin on the other. That would've been a sight to see.

No we couldn't have. Haven't you heard? If you change to a 3-4 then you have to dump your entire defensive roster and rebuild for 5 years to get it right. Everybody has to go without question and it sets you organization back half a decade minimum.

DexmanC
11-08-2010, 09:32 AM
No we couldn't have. Haven't you heard? If you change to a 3-4 then you have to dump your entire defensive roster and rebuild for 5 years to get it right. Everybody has to go without question and it sets you organization back half a decade minimum.

Weren't the Packers playing a 4-3 before Capers got there just two seasons ago?

Didn't take them long to switch. Herv, these Nervous Nillies need to
quit wishing for the status quo over qualified coaches. Agreed?