PDA

View Full Version : Who wishes we had drafted McCourty?

Spled
11-07-2010, 03:49 PM
What worries me about Jackson is when he is burnt by about 10 yards on the long pass. Coaching can't correct a lack of speed. McCourty seems to be getting the job done for the Pats. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgJKH64cnZE

b0ng
11-07-2010, 03:53 PM
The question is, would McCourty fare any better in a secondary as bad as ours?

I think Jackson is going to be decent in a couple years or so. But not now, and not with coaches who hang him out to dry by putting him in man coverage over and over with no help up top.

Brisco_County
11-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Different circumstances, different coaches.

Blake
11-07-2010, 04:14 PM
I dont care which rookie CB you drafted. You put him in these circumstances and you are going to get the same result.

McCourty is in Bill Belichiks 3-4 defense. Probably a little easier.

fiasco west
11-07-2010, 04:14 PM
The question is, would McCourty fare any better in a secondary as bad as ours?

I think Jackson is going to be decent in a couple years or so. But not now, and not with coaches who hang him out to dry by putting him in man coverage over and over with no help up top.

Yep...it was disheartening to see though Ajirowhoknew burn Kareem twice though.

gtexan02
11-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Doubt it would make much difference.

The Pats got blasted by the Browns today too

cain78749
11-07-2010, 04:18 PM
It's about the coaches right now. It's hard to evaluate any of our defensive players who don't have an extended track record (though I think the PED issue makes it obvious that Cushing can no longer be counted on as a standout performer).

Outside of Ryans, I don't see any plus defenders on this roster, but I'm willing to give them all a shot at a brand new day under a new regime (though I suspect we know what we've got at all the DL slots, including not-so-super Mario).

Wolf6151
11-07-2010, 04:26 PM
KJ is a rookie and mistakes are to be expected, Revis didn't become great until his 3rd year in the league. We need new coaches and extra talent and depth in the secondary. KJ will be fine in the long run.

Hervoyel
11-07-2010, 04:34 PM
I don't think it makes much difference at this stage. The problem isn't clearly who we drafted as much as that we drafted him and then plugged him in as a starter without any single position back there being solid.

You can plug in "Dunta Robinson, rookie" as a starter when you've got Aaron Glenn across from him locking that side of the field down and Marcus Coleman behind him ready to help at free safety.

You can't plug in Kareem Jackson or any other rookie as a starter when you've got Glover Quin who can barely take care of his own business opposite him, Bernard Pollard who can't cover shit with Eugene Wilson who may or may not be effective depending on what day of the week it is behind him.

We had no business depending on a secondary that was this young. Our veterans have failed Jackson badly and not just the other players in the secondary. That this team wasn't all over Aaron Schobel from day one was a crime. That they thought they had this pass rush thing covered with our players as-is, that's just sad. I think we've got talent on the offensive side but on defense we have never been good enough to not be trying to improve every chance we get. That's especially true if we're going to try and sneak by in 2010 with a young pair of corners like have.

fiasco west
11-07-2010, 04:43 PM
I don't think it makes much difference at this stage. The problem isn't clearly who we drafted as much as that we drafted him and then plugged him in as a starter without any single position back there being solid.

You can plug in "Dunta Robinson, rookie" as a starter when you've got Aaron Glenn across from him locking that side of the field down and Marcus Coleman behind him ready to help at free safety.

You can't plug in Kareem Jackson or any other rookie as a starter when you've got Glover Quin who can barely take care of his own business opposite him, Bernard Pollard who can't cover shit with Eugene Wilson who may or may not be effective depending on what day of the week it is behind him.

We had no business depending on a secondary that was this young. Our veterans have failed Jackson badly and not just the other players in the secondary. That this team wasn't all over Aaron Schobel from day one was a crime. That they thought they had this pass rush thing covered with our players as-is, that's just sad. I think we've got talent on the offensive side but on defense we have never been good enough to not be trying to improve every chance we get. That's especially true if we're going to try and sneak by in 2010 with a young pair of corners like have.

Must spread....but 100%

Kareem wasn't that bad actually...other than the two big plays he did give up (both where once again the safeties were nowhere to be seen) I do see his potential at least. I do have confidence that he'll learn through this season and if the Texans improve personnel wise in the secondary that he'll look better than he has.

Also the Dline and getting no pressure does not help...and the LBs inability to cover anything coming through the middle puts some pressures on the Safeties too soo....this is moreso a defensive unit thing.

beerlover
11-07-2010, 04:54 PM

You know what the really sad thing is? Kareem was a more polished product coming into camp then he is now, despite what Kubes says. I've watched his technique & he has forgotten how to back peddle or they've taught him something different? Instead of keeping a low quick, smooth back peddle he is side stepping as he makes reads, his hips are too stiff, takes extra step to turn & release by then even an average NFL WR has three steps on him. If you noticed his pick was in nickle coverage. I think that is what he should be playing nickle or heck why not give him a shot @ FS he is big & physical enough to play the position.

JB
11-07-2010, 07:22 PM
:facepalm:

Honoring Earl 34
11-07-2010, 07:23 PM

I'm thinking Peppers instead of Carr .

eriadoc
11-07-2010, 07:24 PM
I wanted two or three CBs before Kareem Jackson, and McCourty was one of them. Regardless, I have little faith that Kubiak would put him in position to succeed, so it's kind of a moot point.

HJam72
11-07-2010, 07:28 PM
You know what the really sad thing is? Kareem was a more polished product coming into camp then he is now, despite what Kubes says. I've watched his technique & he has forgotten how to back peddle or they've taught him something different? Instead of keeping a low quick, smooth back peddle he is side stepping as he makes reads, his hips are too stiff, takes extra step to turn & release by then even an average NFL WR has three steps on him. If you noticed his pick was in nickle coverage. I think that is what he should be playing nickle or heck why not give him a shot @ FS he is big & physical enough to play the position.

If this team ever gets a FS that actually does what a FS is supposed to do, it will probably be somebody they drafted to be a CB. (sigh)

drewmar74
11-07-2010, 07:49 PM

:eek:

That's not what you want to read....

silvrhand
11-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Can anyone verify the coverage there, I did not get a chance to see it.

cdollaz
11-07-2010, 07:52 PM
With our almost non-existant pass rush, there isn't a CB in the league that would be looking great on our team. Yes, Jackson has been bad so far, but at least he has the small excuse of inexperience. The D line has zero excuse. They are horrible as a pass-rushing unit.

HJam72
11-07-2010, 07:53 PM
I don't really think the problem is KJ. I think the problem is our safeties and LBs only care about the run, our DTs are generally too small and play like DEs, and we are out-coached most of the time.

Kaiser Toro
11-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Accountability? Jackson is awful at this level. How this staff can continue to reward Jackson with a starting role is shocking.

Give someone else the reps, we cannot do any worse.

Kulluminatii
11-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Aso sucked his first 2 years in the league and many Raider fans were already calling him a bust (overlooking the fact that he was a FS in college). Look at where he is now.

Now I know its not guaranteed the same thing will happen with KJ, but have a little faith in the guy. He'll take his lumps & bruises this year and will be better for it next year. If you guys have a solid draft next year and fix some of the other problems on your D, I'm sure KJ will improve as a result.

Norg
11-07-2010, 08:18 PM
well we will find out in about 2 and a half years if Jackson is a Bust

Right now its looking like he has a MAJOR BUST all over his face heck already he has a new name K-Burnt

silvrhand
11-07-2010, 08:20 PM
well we will find out in about 2 and a half years if Jackson is a Bust

Right now its looking like he has a MAJOR BUST all over his face heck already he has a new name K-Burnt

First TD was not his fault, safety bit on underneath crossing route and never saw the receiver over the top...

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_nflC3MjlMBI/TNdeeEJYYqI/AAAAAAAADcQ/S23yPjm5c6s/safety-wtf.jpg

Norg
11-07-2010, 08:22 PM
First TD was not his fault, safety bit on underneath crossing route and never saw the receiver over the top...

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_nflC3MjlMBI/TNdeeEJYYqI/AAAAAAAADcQ/S23yPjm5c6s/safety-wtf.jpg

who cares K-Burnt has many plays showing were hes gotten burnt all season long hes been getting Krisped since week 1

Kaiser Toro
11-07-2010, 08:25 PM

Just to put it in context, it was a double move by a guy wearing a tutu that beat Jackson.

eriadoc
11-07-2010, 08:27 PM

Correction - it was not his fault that he had no help over the top. It was his fault that he bit on the double move. He got set up by Sey Whatshistutu. He wasn't played by someone so skilled as AJ or Fitzgerald or Randy Moss, but Seyi Whatshistutu.

BigBull17
11-07-2010, 09:21 PM
If this team ever gets a FS that actually does what a FS is supposed to do, it will probably be somebody they drafted to be a CB. (sigh)

Yeah, our CB's could be our two safeties in a real defense.

Neon Archie
11-07-2010, 09:32 PM
1st rounder burned by an undrafted free agent. Twice. Kjax sucks. They all suck. Not one of them can even cover their head with a paper bag. Flat out embarrasing and pathetic.

I hope kubiak loses his job over hiring frank bush and starting this crap defense.

Marcus
11-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Calling anyone a bust in his rookie year, especially a rookie CB, is pretty silly if you ask me.

eriadoc
11-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Calling anyone a bust in his rookie year, especially a rookie CB, is pretty silly if you ask me.

I don't think anyone's calling him a bust quite yet, but rather refuting the claims of Kubiak after the draft that he was the most NFL ready of the CBs. Furthermore, people are venting frustration at the fact that we are left to rely so heavily on a rookie CB when there were other options.

steelbtexan
11-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Me !!!

beerlover
11-07-2010, 11:03 PM
In my last mock I wanted the Texans to trade back. We traded back w/Baltimore before so why not? they needed WR help so I targeted Dez Bryant (for them) #20 who I thought might fall into this range (Dallas traded up to #24 to get him) while Texans received pick #25 in return (Ravens did wind up trading to Denver so they could move up for Tebow) along with a swap of 2nd #57 (Baltimore) for Texans 3rd. #81. Texans did trade back in 2nd & grab Ben Tate #58 but to get that had to move back up via New England.

Anyway to make a long story short the target @ #25 was Devin McCourty who was selected by the Patriots two pick later #27.

oh yeah, I was the only one who mocked Earl Mitchell to the Texans, but in the 5th!

BL :wesmantexanfan:

It's complicated, the draft is very fluid but the Texans can hold their own here, the problem is where they project the players strengths to fit going forward into a system that frankly sometimes doesn't make a lot of sense. It's really a sad day, hard to define exactly what went wrong or where but even though we have our differences I don't think its about the players or the draft as much as the coaching & development once they get here. It's time to outsource a reputable consultant to give our beloved owner another resource to help make smart decisions going forward.