PDA

View Full Version : Kubes poor calls on 4th down

gtexan02
11-07-2010, 03:43 PM
1. 4 and 2 from the 17. We're up by only 2 points.
The fans are cheering loudly that they want us to go for it.

The intelligent decision here is to kick a field goal.

But Kubiak knows his job is on the line, and if we end up losing, he knows that people will be bitching on Monday. He knows Foster is averaging over 5 yards per carry, and so he decides to go for it, much to the fans delight. He calls a Foster run. Stuffed.

Had we gotten those 3 there (its a 34 yard FG, easy pickings), we would have been up 4 points and only been down 3 after SD converted the TD/2 point. We could kicked a game tying FG instead of playing for a TD and throwing an INT

2. 4th and 1. Kubiak calls a hurry up QB sneak. This is the play that everyone was expecting. Schaub is usually money on these QB sneaks. Problem is that the Chargers knew this and were ready for it. He's well short. We lose the ball.

Again, Kubiak was pressing. He knew our team needed 2 shots to win the game. He should have taken some time to think about the play call. In this case, a run with Foster would have made even more sense.

DerekLee1
11-07-2010, 03:49 PM
But Kubiak knows his job is on the line, and if we end up losing, he knows that people will be bitching on Monday.

The only people that "think Kubiak's job is on the line" are pink soapers on this board. He's not going anywhere, and frankly, there's not much better available (yet). Get the Cowher and Gruden dreams out of your heads, because they're not going back to coaching unless it's an ideal situation. Cowher's most likely going to Carolina and Gruden will stay in the booth. Anyone else would be just as much a crapshoot as Kubiak, who has done a good job making this team respectable.

Injuries and scheduling are hurting us way more than play calling and coaching. I'm not saying Kubes is necessarily a great coach, but considering what would be available - at least right now - I'm not firing him and taking a chance getting stuck with someone like Wade Phillips or Eric Mangini.

TexansSeminole
11-07-2010, 03:53 PM
The only people that "think Kubiak's job is on the line" are pink soapers on this board.

You obviously don't listen to talk radio or talk to any Texans fans outside of the board. Everybody that I know that has watched the Texans this year think Kubiak is a joke of a HC. Fans of other teams and fans of this team.

beerlover
11-07-2010, 03:53 PM
The only people that "think Kubiak's job is on the line" are pink soapers on this board. He's not going anywhere, and frankly, there's not much better available (yet). Get the Cowher and Gruden dreams out of your heads, because they're not going back to coaching unless it's an ideal situation. Cowher's most likely going to Carolina and Gruden will stay in the booth. Anyone else would be just as much a crapshoot as Kubiak, who has done a good job making this team respectable.

sound statement to me.

Injuries and scheduling are hurting us way more than play calling and coaching. I'm not saying Kubes is necessarily a great coach, but considering what would be available - at least right now - I'm not firing him and taking a chance getting stuck with someone like Wade Phillips or Eric Mangini.

got issue with this. every team has to overcome injury & schedule. Texans have faced back to back depleted line-ups & come up short both times (Indy/San Diego).

ThaShark316
11-07-2010, 03:55 PM
You obviously don't listen to talk radio or talk to any Texans fans outside of the board. Everybody that I know that has watched the Texans this year think Kubiak is a joke of a HC. Fans of other teams and fans of this team.

They are pink soapers who don't use the internet. Lee's post is as accurate as a Dan Marino throw in the 90s.

TexansSeminole
11-07-2010, 03:57 PM
They are pink soapers who don't use the internet. Lee's post is as accurate as a Dan Marino throw in the 90s.

There are a ton of pink soapers then. Every Texan fan I talk to IRL wants Kubiak gone. Your talking about a group that's already large, and growing very quickly.

ThaShark316
11-07-2010, 03:59 PM
There are a ton of pink soapers then. Every Texan fan I talk to IRL wants Kubiak gone. Your talking about a group that's already large, and growing very quickly.

Oh i know...it's a TON. lol...

Dishman
11-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Isn't this a contract year for Kubiak? Or is that next season? If it's this season and the team shows no progression how is his job not in jeopardy?

gtexan02
11-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Isn't this a contract year for Kubiak? Or is that next season? If it's this season and the team shows no progression how is his job not in jeopardy?

I think Kubiak just signed an extension actually

EDIT: Signed at the end of last season http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4902936

Dishman
11-07-2010, 04:03 PM
I think Kubiak just signed an extension actually

EDIT: Signed at the end of last season http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4902936

Ah! Thank you very much. Yeah, he's probably here for better or worse for awhile longer.

TheMatrix31
11-07-2010, 04:03 PM
If he didn't go for it, you'd be calling him a puss.

cain78749
11-07-2010, 04:04 PM
The only people that "think Kubiak's job is on the line" are pink soapers on this board. He's not going anywhere, The only reason this MAY be true is because of who the owner is. Like holding on to David Carr (and bringing in a coach who was willing to blow smoke up his butt re: the possibility of making him not suck), Bob already signaled that he probably didn't consider this year a "playoffs or bust" year when he gave the extension.

Any sane owner would have fired Kubiag last year. There's no viable argument to support the idea that this HC hasn't failed at his job. Failure shouldn't be rewarded and, outside of operations which value most highly things other than success (but, but, but . . . he's such a good guy!!!!), usually it isn't.

gtexan02
11-07-2010, 04:05 PM

On 4th and 2 and up by 2 points? Why would ANYONE go for it? It makes no sense. You up by 5 and keep the game at a TD. Up by 2 is almost meaningless. We were on the 17. Its not like we were on the 35+ Thats a chipshot

b0ng
11-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Any sane owner would have fired Kubiag last year. There's no viable argument to support the idea that this HC hasn't failed at his job. Failure shouldn't be rewarded and, outside of operations which value most highly things other than success (but, but, but . . . he's such a good guy!!!!), usually it isn't.

Fired? No. Not after getting the team their best record in team history. Now if you were bitching about him being extended I'd be on board, but anybody saying he would've/should've been fired after last year is being dishonest at best.

Also, I like how people registered today to piss and moan about how bad the Texans are. It's magic.

TheMatrix31
11-07-2010, 04:08 PM
On 4th and 2 and up by 2 points? Why would ANYONE go for it? It makes no sense. You up by 5 and keep the game at a TD. Up by 2 is almost meaningless. We were on the 17. Its not like we were on the 35+ Thats a chipshot

I would have probably called for the FG, but I have no problem with going for it. They were trying to set the tone. Converting that would have been huge. Statement.

DerekLee1
11-07-2010, 04:13 PM

This is NFL-wide. Fans in Philly want Andy Reid out of town. Fans in Minnesota want Brad Childress fired. Ravens fans want Harbaugh fired. And these are coaches with winning histories.

Tampa Bay fans wanted Raheem Morris fired last year. Now everyone thinks he's a genius. Chiefs fans wanted Todd Haley gone. These teams are leading their divisions now.

I'm working in Denver right now. Know what everyone here is salivating for? That Kubiak gets fired so the Broncos can snatch him up.

Everyone wants to be a coach and thinks things are "so obvious". But it's not that simple. Kubiak's done a good - but not great - job with this team. Personnel is an issue. We're the youngest team in the NFL. We need some veteran leadership in the secondary badly.

hradhak
11-07-2010, 04:14 PM
I don't disagree with the call. 4th and short and you have been moving the ball on the ground is a good call. The execution on both of those plays was terrible as it was in much of the other plays in tight situations.

I will say that Kubiak actually called a very good game today. He made the right calls, the players failed to execute. You can second guess certain decisions, but the fact is if we don't convert, the Nation bitches and moans, if he converts we make a huge statement.

TheMatrix31
11-07-2010, 04:17 PM
This is NFL-wide. Fans in Philly want Andy Reid out of town. Fans in Minnesota want Brad Childress fired. Ravens fans want Harbaugh fired. And these are coaches with winning histories.

Tampa Bay fans wanted Raheem Morris fired last year. Now everyone thinks he's a genius. Chiefs fans wanted Todd Haley gone. These teams are leading their divisions now.

I'm working in Denver right now. Know what everyone here is salivating for? That Kubiak gets fired so the Broncos can snatch him up.

Everyone wants to be a coach and thinks things are "so obvious". But it's not that simple. Kubiak's done a good - but not great - job with this team. Personnel is an issue. We're the youngest team in the NFL. We need some veteran leadership in the secondary badly.

Great post.

TexansSeminole
11-07-2010, 04:19 PM

I understand your overall point. Difference between Reid, Harbaugh, etc from Kubiak is that they are winners. Kubiak is not. Morris and Haley are still in the very early parts of their stints as HCs of those teams. Kubiak has had alot more time, yet is doing much worse.

The bolded part is where I disagree. He's done a good job of a couple things. He had our passing game working very well for awhile, even though it's really hurting right now. He finally got a running game going after 4 years, even though I am not sure how much luck getting Foster was and he tends to refuse to use the running game when it is working. Dude was on the practice squad for 16 weeks, while our running game was TERRIBLE. He helped develop a QB here in Houston, although I don't know what is going on with him this year. There are many, many failures that outweigh the successes. Never developed a defense. Never has had a balanced attack, we've been good at passing it and running it but not at the same time. It's always one or the other. He makes terrible in game decisions, on fourth downs, on challenges (wtf was that challenge in the beginning of the game today), etc.

The fact that personnel is an issue, or the issue, is also on Kubiak. As Herv has pointed out many times, this is HIS team. He built this team with HIS GM. He released Reeves, our only veteran corner. He decided not to make a move for someone else. He decided that he was going with his "kids".

cain78749
11-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Fired? No. Not after getting the team their best record in team history. Now if you were bitching about him being extended I'd be on board, but anybody saying he would've/should've been fired after last year is being dishonest at best.

Also, I like how people registered today to piss and moan about how bad the Texans are. It's magic.I registered last week, been lurking, and jumped in now. Get over yourself.

And who gives a damn about best record in team history? It's still a non-playoff record, and in the NFL that means FAILURE. Especially after 3 previous years of FAILURE. How many coaches get 4 full years of FAILURE and don't get fired?

Dishman
11-07-2010, 04:25 PM
We're the youngest team in the NFL. We need some veteran leadership in the secondary badly.

If we need veteran leadership so badly in the secondary then why in the world didn't we sign someone or make a move for that vet in the offseason? The Texans knew what they were walking into this season with a young secondary and rookie corner. They are willing to live and die by those youngsters they threw out their.

Does that make the front office cheap bastards or the coaches bat-shit crazy?

cain78749
11-07-2010, 04:26 PM

Everyone wants to be a coach and thinks things are "so obvious". But it's not that simple. Kubiak's done a good - but not great - job with this team. Personnel is an issue. We're the youngest team in the NFL. We need some veteran leadership in the secondary badly.Are you even aware of the logical fallacy you're overusing in this post?

And, no, Kubiag has not done a "good" job. He's done a mediocre job, and by the standard in the NFL has, his squads have FAILED for 4 years in a row. Last year should have been a do or die year, and Bob once again shows why he's one of the worst owners in the NFL when it comes to the football side of the operation.

PapaL
11-07-2010, 04:30 PM
My issue with that 4th and 2 was the formation, not the play. Why not strech out the D and let Foster do his thing? Clearly they were playing the run the 2nd half.

Wolf
11-07-2010, 04:34 PM
My issue with that 4th and 2 was the formation, not the play. Why not strech out the D and let Foster do his thing? Clearly they were playing the run the 2nd half.

this

PapaL
11-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Just frustrating...

Texecutioner
11-07-2010, 04:39 PM
The only people that "think Kubiak's job is on the line" are pink soapers on this board. He's not going anywhere, and frankly, there's not much better available (yet). Get the Cowher and Gruden dreams out of your heads, because they're not going back to coaching unless it's an ideal situation. Cowher's most likely going to Carolina and Gruden will stay in the booth.

Well perhaps you could show us this access you have into Cowher's diaries and you can enlighten us all on what he plans on doing and where he will or won't go. Please show us this information that you have. Otherwise, your points here are nothing but blanks because you don't have a clue what Cowher plans on doing other than the fact that he plans on coaching next season which is what he has said publicly.

Anyone else would be just as much a crapshoot as Kubiak, who has done a good job making this team respectable.

Great!! Another fan who only cares about being "respectable", while winning isn't that important.

TheMatrix31
11-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Well perhaps you could show us this access you have into Cowher's diaries and you can enlighten us all on what he plans on doing and where he will or won't go. Please show us this information that you have. Otherwise, your points here are nothing but blanks because you don't have a clue what Cowher plans on doing other than the fact that he plans on coaching next season which is what he has said publicly.

Great!! Another fan who only cares about being "respectable", while winning isn't that important.

Getting an expansion franchise to be "legitimate" is pretty freakin' good. Now, is it the end game? Of course not.

hradhak
11-07-2010, 04:44 PM
I'm not going to pass judgement on Kubiak till the end of the season. I don't think there's any point in speculating whether Gruden/Cowher/(insert name here) is going to come back or if Kubiak is going to be fired.

Right now, all I care about is whether we can beat the Jaguars and what we will need to do to make that happen.

Texecutioner
11-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Getting an expansion franchise to be "legitimate" is pretty freakin' good. Now, is it the end game? Of course not.

I can't believe I'm still hearing people talk about "expansion franchise." Dude, get that mess out of here. That expansion franchise excuse died like 5 years ago. We weren't an expansion franchise when Kubes even got there. We were just a bad team just like a ton of other NFL franchises like the Saints and the Jets were who have done a ton better in that same time frame.

TheMatrix31
11-07-2010, 04:49 PM
I can't believe I'm still hearing people talk about "expansion franchise." Dude, get that mess out of here. That expansion franchise excuse died like 5 years ago. We weren't an expansion franchise when Kubes even got there. We were just a bad team just like a ton of other NFL franchises like the Saints and the Jets were who have done a ton better in that same time frame.

Yes, and we turned it around the first year Kubiak was in.

The expansion thing doesnt have any weight NOW, but it DID when he started.

THATS MY POINT.

gtexan02
11-07-2010, 04:49 PM

:goodpost:

TexansSeminole
11-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Yes, and we turned it around the first year Kubiak was in.

The expansion thing doesnt have any weight NOW, but it DID when he started.

THATS MY POINT.

Turned it around in the first year? We went 6-10 that year.

We have yet to turn anything around until we get into the playoffs.

Showtime100
11-07-2010, 04:54 PM
:goodpost:

+1 ^^. Expansion? Oh, brother. I've seen it all. I could have used that argument for the Astros this year. How stupid am I?

I like your take on the fouth down call as well. Call it +2 for the thread.

OzzO
11-07-2010, 05:02 PM
4th down calls, meh - what had me dropping out was the 2nd and 3rd field goals when we were within SD's 5 yard line each time. I understand not leaving points on the field, but when we're going for field goals vs. TD's that close against Rivers and his backups - that wasn't looking good already.

TheMatrix31
11-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Turned it around in the first year? We went 6-10 that year.

We have yet to turn anything around until we get into the playoffs.

Did you miss some games that year? Did you not see how competitive the team was, and how we could have easily won some of those games?

**sigh**

That's turning it around, from 2 and f'n 14.

EDIT: In case you don't remember, that was the year we could have/should have beat the Titans (maybe even twice), the Giants, and the Bills.

TexansSeminole
11-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Did you miss some games that year? Did you not see how competitive the team was, and how we could have easily won some of those games?

**sigh**

EDIT: In case you don't remember, that was the year we could have/should have beat the Titans (maybe even twice), the Giants, and the Bills.

6-10 is not competitive, and we really weren't all that competitive overall that year in the losses.

"How we could have easily won some of those games". Are you arguing for Kubiak or against Kubiak?

6-10 is not turning it around, sorry to break it to you.

Turning it around is Miami going 1-15, then 11-5 the next year en route to the playoffs.

Turning it around is going to the playoffs. Period. We have not accomplished anything as a franchise.

TheMatrix31
11-07-2010, 05:23 PM
6-10 is not competitive, and we really weren't all that competitive overall that year in the losses.

"How we could have easily won some of those games". Are you arguing for Kubiak or against Kubiak?

6-10 is not turning it around, sorry to break it to you.

Turning it around is Miami going 1-15, then 11-5 the next year en route to the playoffs.

Turning it around is going to the playoffs. Period. We have not accomplished anything as a franchise.

Ok. So you tell me what happened in those games against Tennessee, Buffalo, and New York where we were slivers away from winning.

You don't see what's nice about turning a 2-14 into a team that could have EASILY been 9-7? Do you remember those games? Download them or something. Watch a freakin' season recap show or something. Go back on NFL.com and watch them, or something.

In the team's fourth year, turning it around is going from 2-14 and the first pick in the draft to 6-10 (and what could have EASILY been 3 more wins). THATS turning it around. Not everyone pulls Miami Magic. It's a slower build more often than not. Thinking that THAT team in 2006 was going to go worst-to-first is ****ing absurd.

Showtime100
11-07-2010, 05:24 PM

**sigh**

Sorry, but 6-10 is improvement, not a turnaround.

Too much wuda-cuda in your post. I prefer didn't. After all, that's the truth.

TheMatrix31
11-07-2010, 05:25 PM
Sorry, but 6-10 is improvement, not a turnaround.

Too much wuda-cuda in your post. I prefer didn't. After all, that's the truth.

You're right. But you cant expect anything more. That WAS improvement. And that WAS bringing them to respectability. That WAS giving them a shitload to build on.

TheMatrix31
11-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Besides, if you guys want refreshers, the Giants game was lost when Jameel Cook fumbled the ball ridiculously, the Bills beat us with a Peerless Price TD with like 15 seconds left, and the Titans game was Pacman returning a punt for a TD and the second one was lost in OT.

I was PROUD of that season

Showtime100
11-07-2010, 05:32 PM
You're right. But you cant expect anything more. That WAS improvement. And that WAS bringing them to respectability. That WAS giving them a shitload to build on.

Absolutely, I'll buy that.

cain78749
11-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Are y'all really arguing about subtle differences in characterizing the 2006 season? Really?

That team was crappy, talent-wise, and Kubiag showed he could coach 'em up to mediocre levels. That's something to build on, and any Texan fan in January 2007 should have been pleased.

Fast forward to now, and this team is producing similar results. The difference between 6-10 and 9-7 isn't that much. It's still mediocre. And that last word is the important takeaway. Kubiag's ceiling is mediocre. He can take a last-place team with last-place talent and a last-place team's poor SOS and get you mediocre. Apparently he can do no better with vastly improved personnel, and now, when faced with a daunting schedule, that shows more than ever. Good teams have winning records even against other good teams. Good teams make the playoffs. Kubiag cannot seem to do these things.

Who gives a darn whether 2006 was a turnaround, improvement or a ham sandwich. 2007-2010 tell the tale of the tape, and that tale is Kubiag has been found incapable of producing a winner.

Showtime100
11-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Are y'all really arguing about subtle differences in characterizing the 2006 season? Really?
That team was crappy, talent-wise, and Kubiag showed he could coach 'em up to mediocre levels. That's something to build on, and any Texan fan in January 2007 should have been pleased.

Fast forward to now, and this team is producing similar results. The difference between 6-10 and 9-7 isn't that much. It's still mediocre. And that last word is the important takeaway. Kubiag's ceiling is mediocre. He can take a last-place team with last-place talent and a last-place team's poor SOS and get you mediocre. Apparently he can do no better with vastly improved personnel, and now, when faced with a daunting schedule, that shows more than ever. Good teams have winning records even against other good teams. Good teams make the playoffs. Kubiag cannot seem to do these things.

Who gives a darn whether 2006 was a turnaround, improvement or a ham sandwich. 2007-2010 tell the tale of the tape, and that tale is Kubiag has been found incapable of producing a winner.

Yeah, we touched on it. If that isn't what you want to talk about go somewhere else and STFU or stay here and talk about another aspect you want talked about. Matrix and I were exchanging our thoughts.

Meanwhile, take your 13 posts and STFU.

TexansSeminole
11-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Ok. So you tell me what happened in those games against Tennessee, Buffalo, and New York where we were slivers away from winning.

Sure, no problem.

8-8 Tennessee team:
The Texans are down 28-10 in the fourth quarter. Titans play prevent defense, we score once and get our XP blocked. We score again, fail to convert 2 point conversion. Score is now 28-22 , and the Titans simply recover the onside kick, and run the clock out. Game.

7-9 Buffalo team:
Carr had a career day against an equally bad Bills team. Good thing we could compete with them, yet we still lost after our defense lets Lee Evans catch two 83 yarders. Sounds alot like this year doesn't it? We also let JP Losman, yes JP Losman, drive down the field at the end of the game and win.

8-8 NY Giants team:
This was actually a close game. 14-10 game, Cook loses a fumble, the Giants get the ball with 5 min left and run out the clock easily.

8-8 Tennessee team (game 2):
This was the closest game we had that year that we did not win. This is the game when VY ran 39 yards for a game winning touchdown in OT.

Philly beat us 24-10 at Reliant. Indy beat us 43-24. Washington beat us 31-15 at Reliant. Dallas beat us 34-6. Jets beat us 26-11. NE beat us 40-7.

Ultra competitive, your right. Glad we competed with those 7-9 and 8-8 teams.

You don't see what's nice about turning a 2-14 into a team that could have EASILY been 9-7? Do you remember those games? Download them or something. Watch a freakin' season recap show or something. Go back on NFL.com and watch them, or something.

Easily been 9-7? Your delusional. It did not happen. We lost those games. Turning the corner, and going to the playoffs means you win close games against mediocre teams.

In the team's fourth year, turning it around is going from 2-14 and the first pick in the draft to 6-10 (and what could have EASILY been 3 more wins). THATS turning it around. Not everyone pulls Miami Magic. It's a slower build more often than not. Thinking that THAT team in 2006 was going to go worst-to-first is ****ing absurd.

Pff. Show me another team that has had a coach for 5 years that has accomplished less than Gary Kubiak. You can't, because teams fire those guys.

TheMatrix31
11-07-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm not arguing Kubiak this year, Jesus Christ.

I was arguing that year.

Whatever bro, I'm done with you. Welcome to the list.

TexansSeminole
11-07-2010, 05:51 PM
the Titans game was Pacman returning a punt for a TD and the second one was lost in OT.

I was PROUD of that season

The Titans game was not won by Pacman. Maybe you need to go back and watch those games.

As for the bolded, that's where you and I think differently. I was not PROUD of a 6-10 season. Yes, it was better than the year before. We did not suck as badly, sure. But proud? Proud of what, not getting our asses kicked quite as much?

I'm not arguing Kubiak this year, Jesus Christ.

I was arguing that year.

?? What?

Those games were played in 2006.

Showtime100
11-07-2010, 05:57 PM
?? What?

Those games were played in 2006.

Matrix and I will write on the chalk board 1000 times "We will not exchange posts about anything but games right here, right now."

cain78749
11-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Meanwhile, take your 13 posts and STFU.Do you need to be told how idiotic this is?

Showtime100
11-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Do you need to be told how idiotic this is?

It was as bad as your post, I'll give you that. There's something about folks that join and get all of double-digit posts before they and start bitching about what I and another poster are talking about that gets under my skin. It isn't your exchange or conversation man. If you want to talk about the game or the team that's what this board is all about, but don't ***** about what I and someone else are discussing. Go play with somebody else and STFU instead.

cain78749
11-07-2010, 06:31 PM
It was as bad as your post, I'll give you that. There's something about folks that join and get all of double-digit posts before they and start bitching about what I and another poster are talking about that gets under my skin. It isn't your exchange or conversation man. If you want to talk about the game or the team that's what this board is all about, but don't ***** about what I and someone else are discussing. Go play with somebody else and STFU instead.Unbelievable. You do need it explained. Given your demeanor, though, I'm disinclined to oblige. But I'll explain your little victory to you in small words: I will indeed shut up for you. Have a nice day.

Showtime100
11-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Unbelievable. You do need it explained. Given your demeanor, though, I'm disinclined to oblige. But I'll explain your little victory to you in small words: I will indeed shut up for you. Have a nice day.

You too. :)

HJam72
11-07-2010, 07:19 PM
So, anyway, before we were interrupted, me and what's-his-name were talking about the Rockets... :jk:

JB
11-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Unbelievable. You do need it explained. Given your demeanor, though, I'm disinclined to oblige. But I'll explain your little victory to you in small words: I will indeed shut up for you. Have a nice day.

And will you promise to be a good boy?

FirstTexansFan
11-07-2010, 08:09 PM
And will you promise to be a good boy?

He killed his brother Abel, there is no way he can be a good boy :)

El Tejano
11-08-2010, 07:28 AM
[QUOTE]1. 4 and 2 from the 17. We're up by only 2 points.

But Kubiak knows his job is on the line, and if we end up losing, he knows that people will be bitching on Monday. He knows Foster is averaging over 5 yards per carry, and so he decides to go for it, much to the fans delight. He calls a Foster run. Stuffed.

Had we gotten those 3 there (its a 34 yard FG, easy pickings), we would have been up 4 points and only been down 3 after SD converted the TD/2 point. We could kicked a game tying FG instead of playing for a TD and throwing an INT
I completely agree, and to me this right here should be what Mcnair goes and looks back on as to why Kubiak should not be here if we don't make the playoffs (a pretty assumable IF). Kubiak, out coached himself today in that regard. If you know you have a chance to score early in the 4th quarter and put pressure on the other team to score a TD, you take the points.

2. 4th and 1. Kubiak calls a hurry up QB sneak. This is the play that everyone was expecting. Schaub is usually money on these QB sneaks. Problem is that the Chargers knew this and were ready for it. He's well short. We lose the ball.[/
I believe Kubiak stated in a previous press conference that Matt Schaub calls his own plays in the 2 minute warning. Kubiak looked pretty pissed that that was called.

El Tejano
11-08-2010, 07:41 AM

I wasn't. I kept saying that I shouldn't worry because knowing him he was going to be conservative and get the points early on in the 4th quarter. I was actually saying " alright! Smart move by kubiak to make the game go into the 4th quarter and get our points there."

You know, it's not really just that time that I felt he lossed this game for us. I also thought that he lossed the game when he didn't make the FG unit go out on the Arian Foster TD catch. I was watching the Dallas/Green Bay game last night and there was a time when the Packers stripped a ball on a kickoff return, recovered and ran it in for a TD. The coaching staff for the Packers felt that call could've been reviewed so they immediately sent out the FG unit to kick so the play could not be reviewed. It's not cheating because it is in the rules.

Our coaching staff gives the other team an opportunity to review the play and decide what they want to do. BTW, yesterday marked 11months 29 days ago when Kubiak let Indy review the Ryan Moats fumble, which btw, was pretty much right at the same time - before halftime. That's a mark of not learning from your previous mistakes and that tells me it is going to happen again.

El Tejano
11-08-2010, 07:55 AM

And he's also stated that he wouldn't mind coaching in Houston.

To be fair, Fox might be getting fired and there was a report that Cowher would probably want to coach there because his family is there and they already run a 3-4 defense.

Double Barrel
11-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Wow, the myopia runs deep with some folks. Houston must be the final destination for the train from Pollyanna.

No offense intended, folks, but 72 games into it and a 35-37 record says it all. :truck:

OzzO
11-08-2010, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE=gtexan02;1572848]...I believe Kubiak stated in a previous press conference that Matt Schaub calls his own plays in the 2 minute warning. Kubiak looked pretty pissed that that was called.

On that hurry up on 4th, I caught it in ear shot - perhaps someone can confirm via presser transcript - but I thought I heard sports radio mention that Matt said Kubiak called that hurry up.

thunderkyss
11-08-2010, 01:14 PM
The only people that "think Kubiak's job is on the line" are pink soapers on this board.

repped.

But it's not only the pink soapers. All dem soapers.

thunderkyss
11-08-2010, 01:21 PM
I registered last week, been lurking, and jumped in now. Get over yourself.

And who gives a damn about best record in team history? It's still a non-playoff record, and in the NFL that means FAILURE. Especially after 3 previous years of FAILURE. How many coaches get 4 full years of FAILURE and don't get fired?

Get over yourself, it doesn't matter what other teams do or what other coaches did. This is the Houston Texans, & this is what we've done.

& failure is in the eye of the beholder. 3 out of 4 years, he's done better than the guy who was here before did.

Low standards, whatever, it is what it is.

thunderkyss
11-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Are you even aware of the logical fallacy you're overusing in this post?

And, no, Kubiag has not done a "good" job. He's done a mediocre job, and by the standard in the NFL has, his squads have FAILED for 4 years in a row. Last year should have been a do or die year, and Bob once again shows why he's one of the worst owners in the NFL when it comes to the football side of the operation.

& once again you show us why Houston has the worst fans in the NFL.

GuerillaBlack
11-08-2010, 01:24 PM

The problem with this is that Cowher has already stated that the Texans are an ideal job for him because he can win instantly. We have the talent. He goes to Carolina and he has a lot more to rebuild. Plus, with the unfortunate death of his wife and his daughters in college, the Carolina job does not look as enticing, I guess. I do agree that Gruden will stay in the booth.

thunderkyss
11-08-2010, 01:27 PM

No, not like the Saints or the Jets. Those teams had success before, traditions, history, & veteran players that were worth a damn... like Duece McCallister & Allan Faneca (I know they eventually traded him, but the point is he was there).

We're more like the Lions or the 49ers, who haven't had any success to speak of since 2000 or 2002.

GuerillaBlack
11-08-2010, 01:31 PM
No, not like the Saints or the Jets. Those teams had success before, traditions, history, & veteran players that were worth a damn... like Duece McCallister & Allan Faneca (I know they eventually traded him, but the point is he was there).

We're more like the Lions or the 49ers, who haven't had any success to speak of since 2000 or 2002.

Is that another thing that is holding the Texans back? Not having history or traditions? If I was Kubiak, I'd play a DVD of how the City of Houston reacted when the Oilers lost in the playoffs (the rally they had) and show clips of the Luv Ya Blue days. Make the current players happy they are playing for this city and to start their own winning traditions and history, because what is out there now is pathetic.

thunderkyss
11-08-2010, 01:32 PM

Wow.... a decent post.

This season isn't over yet. We still may win 11 games.

Texan_Bill
11-08-2010, 01:32 PM
I registered last week, been lurking, and jumped in now. Get over yourself.

By your standards, Jeff Fisher.

thunderkyss
11-08-2010, 01:34 PM
The problem with this is that Cowher has already stated that the Texans are an ideal job for him because he can win instantly.

I kinda remember Orlando Pace & Ernest Givens saying similar things. I know they were players, & he's a coach.... but I'm like, do we have a "sucker" sign on our forehead or what?

GuerillaBlack
11-08-2010, 01:36 PM
I kinda remember Orlando Pace & Ernest Givens saying similar things. I know they were players, & he's a coach.... but I'm like, do we have a "sucker" sign on our forehead or what?

Well, considering what the Texans were then and now, I'd say the situation is different. No one in the league can deny the talent on this team. It's the coaching and schemes (defense) that is so damn horrible.

TexansSeminole
11-08-2010, 10:24 PM
1. 4 and 2 from the 17. We're up by only 2 points.

To get more on topic of the thread, I tend to always agree with getting the points when you can in those type of situations.

These are the type of situations I am talking about. It's early in the fourth quarter. There is alot of football left to be played. If you don't trust your defense and feel like your forced to take these type of risks, it's your own fault.

And to piggy back off of gtexan's opinion of Kubiak pressing, I feel like that's kind of the way he gets late in football games. I never feel like he, or the team is confident in their ability to take control of the game.