PDA

View Full Version : How well have the Texans really played this season?

Rey
11-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Taking all things into account is this really an improved team from the last few years?

This is just how I remember the games so far.

1) In the first game against the Colts the first half was pretty even. Second half, we came out and pounded them with the run. We won that game because of the running game. Nothing else really contributed. Although the defense got after Manning a bit, it didn't really affect their offensive output. They still put up big time yardage and points.

2) Second game. We played poorly. I still don't know how we pulled that one out. A great performance by some individual players. Blocked FG by Pollard. Great throws by Matt...Some great runs after the catch by Foster. Great end of the game heroics by the offense. I would like to give credit to the defense in the end, but I don't know how much of that was just the Redskins not performing as they had been all game long. They do get credit for holding them though. Kubes did a good job on the first FG that didn't count. Had the kicker just hit the next kick as he did the first one and this season could be a lot different. But he didn't. Offense took advantage. Rackers sealed the deal. A win is a win....right?

3) Week 3. A pretty pathetic showing all around. Just a downright ugly game. The cowboys may have had a little extra pep in their step, but our guys were on the opposite end of the spectrum. I really can't find any positives about this game. Pretty sad since this is a team that hasn't won another game yet.

4) Week 4. The Raiders. Foster sits early, but Ward fills in nicely. Passing game was nothing extra special, but they got the job done. Defense did o.k. Arian comes in halfway through the second qtr and goes off. Once again the running game is what really took over this game. AJ didn't play, but if this team is as really deep at the WR position as we all think they are, and if our team is truly an elite passing team I don't think that should affect us a whole lot. We still had all of our TE's (which we failed to really utilize). A win is a win, but I would have liked to see us really put them away. We didn't. Late in that game they still had a chance to tie it. Anyways, glad we won...Win is a win...I know...But dammit, convince me that you are a legit play-off, title contender...

5) Week 5. NY. See Cowboys.

6) Week 6. Similar to the Skins game. Glad as hell we won it, but I think that if you are a team that is really a contender, these are the kinds of games that you should either come out and own, or at least be competitive the whole way through. Our guys made a lot of good plays, but I can't tell if the comeback was due to us tremendously stepping up, or if the opposition starting playing a bit worse/conservative. Probably was a combo of the two. I'm happy any time we can get a win, but I would just like not have to have a heart attack in the process.

7) Bye.

8) Week 7. Colts. Once again the team looked like the little brother to the opposition. Poor coaching and bad play calling were again topics of discussion. I do not care about the fact that the Colts were injured. That meant little to me. I don't think that should have given us some huge edge...Not when Manning is their QB...He is the catalyst and he makes their world go round. I thought d played well enough to win this game. I thought the offense could have executed better, but I think the Kubiak could have relieved some pressure on them with better play calls.

So, back to the original question...How well have they played this season, and have they really shown that they are going to/have taken the next step to become a legit contender year in and year out?

ThaShark316
11-04-2010, 02:55 PM
game 1 - A (B 1st half, A+ 2nd half) - W vs. Colts
game 2 - B+ (D- 1st half, A+ 2nd half) W vs. Redskins
game 3 - F (D 1st half, F 2nd half) L vs. Cowboys
game 4 - B (C+ 1st half, B 2nd half) W vs. Raiders
game 5 - F (F 1st half, D- 2nd half) L vs. Giants
game 6 - B (D 1st half, B 2nd half) W vs. Chiefs
game 7 - D- (F 1st half, C- 2nd half) L vs. Colts

73/100 = C
Sound about right? I really want to go higher on the 2nd halves of OAK and KC.

Rey
11-04-2010, 03:01 PM
game 1 - A (B 1st half, A+ 2nd half) - W vs. Colts
game 2 - B+ (D- 1st half, A+ 2nd half) W vs. Redskins
game 3 - F (D 1st half, F 2nd half) L vs. Cowboys
game 4 - B (C+ 1st half, B 2nd half) W vs. Raiders
game 5 - F (F 1st half, D- 2nd half) L vs. Giants
game 6 - B (D 1st half, B 2nd half) W vs. Chiefs
game 7 - D- (F 1st half, C- 2nd half) L vs. Colts

Sound about right? I really want to go higher on the 2nd halves of OAK and KC.

Lots of F's and D's in there...

ThaShark316
11-04-2010, 03:02 PM

No **** bruh.

Hagar
11-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Its real simple, we barely beat some weak teams and get our ass handed to us by stronger teams. The only exception to this has been the first Colts game, but judging from our second Colts game, the rule stands. We suck.

DexmanC
11-04-2010, 03:13 PM

F' Dis $h...

Rey
11-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Up to this point, I would say that they haven't played well...

I will remain optimistic for no other reason but for the simple fact that there are a lot more games left.

That said, I am really dissapointed with how this team has progressed.

Thorn
11-04-2010, 03:17 PM
The Houston Jeckel and Hydes continue to live up to their name.

TexCanada
11-04-2010, 03:21 PM
I said we've been ok, will get better. 4-3 is an ok record, it is tough for anyone to argue against that. We are still in a strong position going forward from here, so my hopes are not lost for this season. I do believe that we are going to get better, but with our tougher schedule that may not result in any more wins. We are going to have to play considerably better to get into playoffs.

DexmanC
11-04-2010, 03:25 PM
The Texans (under Kubiak) are who they've always been.

They beat bad teams.

They compete with average teams / good teams resting starters.

They get ROLLED by good teams who need wins.

The Texans are not able to hide their true identity this season, because
their schedule is back-loaded with the teams they ALWAYS get ROLLED
by. No excuses in 2010. Same show, but no way to hide the foolishness.

Their margin-for-error ended at Indy by going 4-3. The Texans are
that self-agrandizing squad we saw the week leading up to the Giants
game. Dunta Robinson's statement to the press, is highly indicative
of the Texans' current culture:

"...that's what we're here for. It's to get paid."

Yankee_In_TX
11-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Its real simple, we barely beat some weak teams and get our ass handed to us by stronger teams. The only exception to this has been the first Colts game, but judging from our second Colts game, the rule stands. We suck.

Ever since DexmanC posted Kubiak's records against AFC South and winnign teams I have cried myself to sleep each night.

imatexan
11-04-2010, 03:31 PM

Which teams are weak you speak of?

The 5-2 Chiefs?
The 5-2 Colts?
The 4-4 Redskins?
The 4-4 Raiders?

Seems to me that not one team we beat has a losing record, but I am sure "it was all luck" and the Kubiak haters will have some other excuse.

Facts are facts people, as Dex put Kubiak has been awful in past years against winning teams but this year has been a little different so far and I still have high expectations.

Roast on...

beerlover
11-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Which teams are weak you speak of?

The 5-2 Chiefs?
The 5-2 Colts?
The 4-4 Redskins?
The 4-4 Raiders?

Seems to me that not one team we beat has a losing record, but I am sure "it was all luck!"

don't forget the Cowboys would still be winless if not for the Texans :rake:

badboy
11-04-2010, 03:42 PM
The record 4-3 is not my focus but rather how we played each game. We have given up too many first halves of games. Co-ordinators or HC should be able to adjust within a few plays not wait until half time. Most posters agreed last season that we were not prepared for our first game against NY Jets. Well, imo we came out of BYE week unprepared for Colts. I got the impression Kubiak was trying to out smart the Colts rather than out play them as he did game one.

Rey
11-04-2010, 03:43 PM
The record 4-3 is not my focus but rather how we played each game. We have given up too many first halves of games. Co-ordinators or HC should be able to adjust within a few plays not wait until half time. Most posters agreed last season that we were not prepared for our first game against NY Jets. Well, imo we came out of BYE week unprepared for Colts. I got the impression Kubiak was trying to out smart the Colts rather than out play them as he did game one.

That was my take on the Colts game as well.

ThaShark316
11-04-2010, 03:47 PM

Agreed on the last sentence. Didn't work, and it bit us in the ass.

badboy
11-04-2010, 04:19 PM
I just wished I was not so unsure about Chargers. Hopefully they will continue to give the game away. If we can stay close, say 21 points, we should beat them in second half after adjusting at half time of course. My first play of game would be to fake to Foster look at AJ and then throw to Walter. Of course Schaub would have to do that within the 3 seconds our Oline will give him.

ThaShark316
11-04-2010, 04:33 PM
I just wished I was not so unsure about Chargers. Hopefully they will continue to give the game away. If we can stay close, say 21 points, we should beat them in second half after adjusting at half time of course. My first play of game would be to fake to Foster look at AJ and then throw to Walter. Of course Schaub would have to do that within the 3 seconds our Oline will give him.

We need a Seahawks game bad.

Those just don't grow on trees, sure, but damn we need one. They gotta go get it though. Not going to fall in their laps.

drs23
11-04-2010, 04:38 PM
lucky/suck. Waiting to be proven wrong and really, really want to be. :texflag:

badboy
11-05-2010, 08:41 AM
We need a Seahawks game bad.

Those just don't grow on trees, sure, but damn we need one. They gotta go get it though. Not going to fall in their laps.Yeah those kind of wins pump up the record but do not comfort fans that team is playing better. I just can not understand how this roster does so poorly overall. We have a pro bowl QB, best WR in NFL, 2nd leading rusher in NFL, two DROYs in a row and very good TEs. When you add injuries, suspensions and some "off play" this season to the poor line play and young secondary, I guess we get what we see.

Wonder what McNair is thinking?

Kaiser Toro
11-05-2010, 08:47 AM
It is comforting to see that this segment of the fan base is not putting it on the schedule. :texflag:

Rey
11-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Yeah those kind of wins pump up the record but do not comfort fans that team is playing better. I just can not understand how this roster does so poorly overall. We have a pro bowl QB, best WR in NFL, 2nd leading rusher in NFL, two DROYs in a row and very good TEs. When you add injuries, suspensions and some "off play" this season to the poor line play and young secondary, I guess we get what we see.

Wonder what McNair is thinking?

Your post just makes me think about this team...

I mean, it's like players never take that next big step...

Not only do we have players that regress, but our young players that don't take huge steps back hardly ever seem to take that next big step forward...You can go up and down the roster and find examples of this...

Grams
11-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Let's see here -

game 1 - looked great
game 2 - pretty good
game 3 - humm - think they forgot they had a game this week
game 4 - not too bad - decent
game 5 - they thought the bye was this week
game 6 - not too bad
game 7- - they thought they had a 2 week bye

game 8 - should look decent - it's the other week

thunderkyss
11-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Taking all things into account is this really an improved team from the last few years?

This team is lucky to be 4-3. Wins are wins.... everybody needs a little luck..... but this is not what I expected.

This should be a strong offensive team that takes the field with confidence & swagger..... think Broncos when Plummer was playing well.

The defense should be able to do enough to win, but I never expected them to dominate any game.

This is just how I remember the games so far.

1) In the first game against the Colts the first half was pretty even.

I was very impressed with the defense in this game. Without Cushing, with our young corner, I thought the offense was going to have to carry the game.

But the defense held Indy scoreless through the first quarter. Indy's first 4 possessions ended in punts.

I was expecting our high powered offense to put some points on the board early, allowing our defense to get after the QB.

But that didn't happen. We should have gone into halftime 21-3, instead, it was 13-10 Texans.

2) Second game. We played poorly.... A win is a win....right?

Two things stood out. We played poorly offensively again, & our defense is really weak across the middle. The overtime period of that game sums up our whole season. Offense isn't moving the ball, defense can do enough to win.

3) Week 3. A pretty pathetic showing all around. Just a downright ugly game.

Defense looked decent through 3 & a half Qtrs. Then Romo figured us out. & we never figured Romo out. They found a match-up we couldn't handle.... Roy Williams on our smallish corners. We never found an advantage, with a top 5 QB, best receiver in the league, & the leagues leading rusher... couldn't penetrate that stifling Dallas D.

4)Week 4. The Raiders.

Again, I see our offense struggle against an average defense.

First Qtr looked good, 2 touchdowns out of 3 possessions. The second Qtr, I don't know if they felt like they did enough in the 1st (I would hope not), but two 3&outs, 3 first downs in 4 possessions & a missed field goal.

Granted, AJ got hurt, but we believe we are deep at the WR position. We believed JJ was going to step up. We believed KDub was clutch... money.

I expected the defense to look better than they did this game. But my expectations for the defense is so low (because they have never done much) that it's hard for me blame them.

5) Week 5. NY. See Cowboys.

First time our running game failed. Started looking at play selection & questioning coaching decisions.

6) Week 6. Similar to the Skins game.

I don't think we ever trailed by more than 10 points in this game, so I don't really compare it with the Skins game. Our CBs were really tested in here, like they were against the Giants & Cowboys. Skins, it was shallow stuff across the middle that ate our lunch.

Watching Matt Cassel & Dwayne Bowe do their Schaub/AJ impersonation hurt, while watching the real thing sitting on the bench.

The defense did enough in the first half, I think for us to take the lead, but our O didn't show up till midway through the third.

7) Bye.

8) Week 7. Colts.

I understand we have to really look at Kubiak & his decision not to have an extremely heavy run oriented game plan. We should have simply copied Del Rio's plan & a win would have been damn near guaranteed.

However, there was nothing wrong with the game plan we used. Just like the drive that ended in an AJ 28 yard TD, every one of our possessions should include a good mixture of passing & running.

I'm not going to say it was a stupid game plan because Schaub hesitated to throw the ball on a wide open bootleg pass, or he threw it late on a simple curl route, or KDub dropped a ball that hit him in the hands on 4th & 2.

If DanO was stuck in the game with David Anderson as his #1 receiver, & that was the kind of crap he was calling, maybe. But we've had Matt Schaub & Andre Johnson on the field.

So, back to the original question...How well have they played this season, and have they really shown that they are going to/have taken the next step to become a legit contender year in and year out?

The offensive line has been outstanding in the run game. Arian Foster has been a beast, & Derrick Ward looks like he wants to prove something. AJ is who we thought he was.

Everyone else on offense has been a huge disappointment.

Defensively, only slightly worse than I imagined.

The corner looks further away than I believed it was to start the season.

:texflag:

thunderkyss
11-05-2010, 10:32 AM
The Texans (under Kubiak) are who they've always been.

They beat bad teams.

They compete with average teams / good teams resting starters.

They get ROLLED by good teams who need wins.

The Texans are not able to hide their true identity this season, because
their schedule is back-loaded with the teams they ALWAYS get ROLLED
by. No excuses in 2010. Same show, but no way to hide the foolishness.

Their margin-for-error ended at Indy by going 4-3.

So far, all of this has been true. We'll find out if it holds true.

b0ng
11-06-2010, 09:06 AM
It is comforting to see that this segment of the fan base is not putting it on the schedule. :texflag:

The schedule is what it is. I don't think there is any coach who should be retained after putting in a terrible season, because the schedule was oh so hard. We play the AFC West this year, and that division is almost always a 1 horse race to the finish (Maybe not this year), and the NFCE is not the division that everybody thought it would be. The Jets and the Ravens are two ridiculously difficult draws, but I can't say that those two games make our schedule impossible.

Voted Jekyll/Hyde.

steelbtexan
11-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Man TK, you must have had really low expectations for the defense this yr.

I expected a 15/20 ranked defense. Instead we get the worst ranked defense in the NFL. In addition to being one of the worst ranked defenses statisically in NFL history.

The offense (Schaub who I believe is injured) is playing well below the standards it set last yr.

The main troubles stem from one main problem on both sides of the ball. They're not tough enough on the ol/dl. When you put these things together with a young secondary they should feel fortunate to have a 4-3 record at this point in the season.

Luckily there's much room for improvement especially on the offensive side of the ball and maybe the young CB's will grow up and this will be the type of season that the fans were expecting.

But that sure is alot of ifs, buts, hopefullys and maybes.

Carr Bombed
11-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Sorry, when I saw the option to fire Kubiak, I immediately voted for it.

The guy has to go, he's never going to lead this team anywhere.

thunderkyss
11-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Man TK, you must have had really low expectations for the defense this yr.

I expected a 15/20 ranked defense. Instead we get the worst ranked defense in the NFL. In addition to being one of the worst ranked defenses statisically in NFL history.

The offense (Schaub who I believe is injured) is playing well below the standards it set last yr.

Did you, or did you not expect our defense to struggle without Cushing? With our young corners? What did you think when Barwin went down for the year?

It's not that my expectations are low, just not overstated.

I think we were good, but mainly because our offense was so potent. We allowed 24 points in several games last year, always had a chance to win.

Even in that Colts game, I never thought we were too far out of it, because of the offense.

Speedy
11-06-2010, 11:13 AM
They are 2 or 3 plays away from being 2-5. Granted, they made those plays and are where they are, but you can't really take their losses and say the same. Indy game maybe, pick 6, fumble, and you're driving to win, but there were still plenty of plays to be made other than those. They're not even close in their losses and that's a concern - to me anyway.

If we thought it's been difficult so far, we ain't seen nothing yet. This Charger game frightens me. They're desperate, and they're a team that would be on top of the standings if they weren't beating themselves. And Rivers is on fire no matter who he has left to throw to.

I don't care what the Jaguars look like, it's always a battle against them. Then comes the Jets on the road, the Titans twice, Eagles on the road, and the Ravens. 4 of those 6 games are on the road.

It's not going to be pretty from here on out, especially if the defense doesn't improve somehow. You're just kidding yourself if you think the offense is going to score 30+ and make miracle comebacks every game. If this team is going to make the playoffs, it's going to have to be the defense stepping it up big time. Unfortunately, I see no signs of that happening.

Rey
11-06-2010, 01:16 PM
They are 2 or 3 plays away from being 2-5. Granted, they made those plays and are where they are, but you can't really take their losses and say the same. Indy game maybe, pick 6, fumble, and you're driving to win, but there were still plenty of plays to be made other than those. They're not even close in their losses and that's a concern - to me anyway.

If we thought it's been difficult so far, we ain't seen nothing yet. This Charger game frightens me. They're desperate, and they're a team that would be on top of the standings if they weren't beating themselves. And Rivers is on fire no matter who he has left to throw to.

I don't care what the Jaguars look like, it's always a battle against them. Then comes the Jets on the road, the Titans twice, Eagles on the road, and the Ravens. 4 of those 6 games are on the road.

It's not going to be pretty from here on out, especially if the defense doesn't improve somehow. You're just kidding yourself if you think the offense is going to score 30+ and make miracle comebacks every game. If this team is going to make the playoffs, it's going to have to be the defense stepping it up big time. Unfortunately, I see no signs of that happening.

That's a good point.

I don't mind close wins, but I would like to see them actually battle throughout the game. I'd like to see all the units playing well at least. So far in all of the wins there have still been some pretty pathetic things going on. In the losses, it has just been a collective pathetic effort.

Rey
11-06-2010, 01:20 PM
The offensive line has been outstanding in the run game. Arian Foster has been a beast, & Derrick Ward looks like he wants to prove something. AJ is who we thought he was.

Everyone else on offense has been a huge disappointment.

Defensively, only slightly worse than I imagined.

The corner looks further away than I believed it was to start the season.

:texflag:

Really?

Only slightly?

With the way they were playing towards the end of the year and with how everyone was saying they had improved??

The defense is last in the league...

I expected them to at least be top 15....If we were gonna have a legit contending team this year...

Rey
11-06-2010, 01:22 PM
I don't know if it's the fact that most people are drawn to the option of the team being jeckly and hyde, or if they don't think that the team will improve....

I chose that they have been poor but should improve, mostly because of optimisim....But I can understand people not thinking the team would get better...

thunderkyss
11-06-2010, 02:25 PM

It's the same game plan we use (or should use) against the Colts. Keep our offense on the field, theirs on the bench. We don't have to score 30, we just have to stay on the field. Something we haven't been doing this year. If we don't score, we're going 3 & out. 4, maybe 6 plays, & punting.

If we can stay on the field & score on most of our possessions, touchdowns preferably, we'll win by limiting our opponents to field goals & punts.

Check the game logs, pick a random game. We're good for 2 or 3 three & outs a game, we force several punts every game. But we have too many offensive possessions when we don't even cross mid field.

I know what our offense is capable of when they're on, so I can understand "everyone" thinking I'm saying we need to score 30 points a game. But I'm not.

We just need to stay on the field longer, start getting competitive in the T.O.P. battle, especially in the first half...

has no one noticed we've been consistently bad offensively in the first half?? Washington & NYGiants are the only games I think our defense was equally bad in the first half. Other than that, our defense was good enough to keep the game close, if our offense would have moved the ball.

Kansas City would never have scored that second touchdown, if our offense could have stayed on the field after the three first half punts our defense forced.

Oakland would never have been in the game, if our offense didn't go to sleep in the 2nd Qtr.

I know it's difficult to erase 24+ points on the score-board when you're playing poorly defensively. & way too easy (for us it seems) to throw 24 up in a single qtr to erase a pathetic offensive effort.

But the Giants game in particular, the defense played poorly in the first half. Second half, they forced a 3 & out, then an interception, then another interception.

We walked away from that with 7 points, only because our defense put our offense on the 17 yard line.

That game should have been tied up before Tynes kicked that field goal with 1:26 left to go in the third Qtr.

But everyone wants to blame the defense.

thunderkyss
11-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Really?

Only slightly?

With the way they were playing towards the end of the year and with how everyone was saying they had improved??

The defense is last in the league...

I expected them to at least be top 15....If we were gonna have a legit contending team this year...
REad my last post, tell me if I'm wrong. Pick any game you want, let's call up the game logs. We played good enough to win, but when our offense is struggling, there is only so much we can do.

We're not deep at all on the DL, you know that. What little we are able to do, we can only do in short burst. Barwin & Mitchell, though not expected to be stars, were supposed to help us in our rotation. We lost Barwin early, Mitchell been playing on a bum foot.

If our offense can't buy us some time, or our rotation is cut short... forget about it.

Washington & NYGiants were bad games defensively.... especially in the first half. But they made enough plays for us to come back & win. so that's got to count for something. If you're going to give the offense credit for coming back & beating the Skins.... gotta give defense credit for shutting them down after half time. Even in OT, we had the ball first... our defense had to come on the field to help us win it. Our coach had to play some Shanahanigans, & our special teams had to make a 53 yard FG, because our offense stumbled.

Many people are all over our defense, because the numbers say our offense is right where we left off. But if you're watching the games, you know that is far... far from true.

thunderkyss
11-06-2010, 02:45 PM
I don't know if it's the fact that most people are drawn to the option of the team being jeckly and hyde, or if they don't think that the team will improve....

I chose that they have been poor but should improve, mostly because of optimisim....But I can understand people not thinking the team would get better...

I'm worried. After MNF, I'm convinced it is a Matt Schaub issue, & that game plan was tailored for a struggling QB. Easy stuff, quick slants, curls, easy outs to Huge TE (dressen) one-on-one with a little-bitty safety on his back (& he threw the ball high... no pressure), play action with the best running game in the league.

Looks like a Steve Slaton sophomore slump, or a Kris Brown head case that he just can't shake.

other than that, everything is going exactly as planned.

Rey
11-06-2010, 07:37 PM
REad my last post, tell me if I'm wrong. Pick any game you want, let's call up the game logs. We played good enough to win, but when our offense is struggling, there is only so much we can do.

We're not deep at all on the DL, you know that. What little we are able to do, we can only do in short burst. Barwin & Mitchell, though not expected to be stars, were supposed to help us in our rotation. We lost Barwin early, Mitchell been playing on a bum foot.

If our offense can't buy us some time, or our rotation is cut short... forget about it.

Washington & NYGiants were bad games defensively.... especially in the first half. But they made enough plays for us to come back & win. so that's got to count for something. If you're going to give the offense credit for coming back & beating the Skins.... gotta give defense credit for shutting them down after half time. Even in OT, we had the ball first... our defense had to come on the field to help us win it. Our coach had to play some Shanahanigans, & our special teams had to make a 53 yard FG, because our offense stumbled.

Many people are all over our defense, because the numbers say our offense is right where we left off. But if you're watching the games, you know that is far... far from true.

I don't disagree with what you're saying.

But I'm still stuck with the fact that we have regressed on that side of the ball...

I can understand and cope with marginal improvement, but this regression just rubs me the wrong way...

ObsiWan
11-06-2010, 08:50 PM
It's the same game plan we use (or should use) against the Colts. Keep our offense on the field, theirs on the bench. We don't have to score 30, we just have to stay on the field. Something we haven't been doing this year. If we don't score, we're going 3 & out. 4, maybe 6 plays, & punting.

If we can stay on the field & score on most of our possessions, touchdowns preferably, we'll win by limiting our opponents to field goals & punts.

Check the game logs, pick a random game. We're good for 2 or 3 three & outs a game, we force several punts every game. But we have too many offensive possessions when we don't even cross mid field.

I know what our offense is capable of when they're on, so I can understand "everyone" thinking I'm saying we need to score 30 points a game. But I'm not.

We just need to stay on the field longer, start getting competitive in the T.O.P. battle, especially in the first half...

has no one noticed we've been consistently bad offensively in the first half?? Washington & NYGiants are the only games I think our defense was equally bad in the first half. Other than that, our defense was good enough to keep the game close, if our offense would have moved the ball.

Kansas City would never have scored that second touchdown, if our offense could have stayed on the field after the three first half punts our defense forced.

Oakland would never have been in the game, if our offense didn't go to sleep in the 2nd Qtr.

I know it's difficult to erase 24+ points on the score-board when you're playing poorly defensively. & way too easy (for us it seems) to throw 24 up in a single qtr to erase a pathetic offensive effort.

But the Giants game in particular, the defense played poorly in the first half. Second half, they forced a 3 & out, then an interception, then another interception.

We walked away from that with 7 points, only because our defense put our offense on the 17 yard line.

That game should have been tied up before Tynes kicked that field goal with 1:26 left to go in the third Qtr.

But everyone wants to blame the defense.
I'd rep you if I could. Our offense worries me. Schaub reminds me of a streak shooter in basketball. If he's hot we put up lots of points. If he's cold he can shoot us right out of any chance of winning. If Foster hadn't emerged in Colts1 we would have lost because Schaub was stone cold. Schaub is lightyears better than what we had but he's not consistent enough to be a playoff QB. He lacks the fire of a Manning or a Brady or a Brees. In my mind, our offensive, and therefore our team's, success begins and ends with him.

Rey
11-07-2010, 06:59 PM
I wish I could change my vote.