PDA

View Full Version : Gary Kubiak Press Conference

Pages : [1] 2

GuerillaBlack
11-02-2010, 02:29 PM
On in about an hour.

Kubiak better say something like: "I should have called more running plays when Foster was getting seven yards a pop. because the Colts obviously couldn't stop it. I tried to get too fancy with the pass plays and it bit us in the rear end, guys. That was a pathetic performance and it won't happen again this season."

But who am I kidding, it's Kubiak.

fiasco west
11-02-2010, 02:31 PM
"It's on me."

HOU-TEX
On in about an hour.

Kubiak better say something like: "I should have called more running plays because the Colts obviously couldn't stop it. I tried to get too fancy with the pass plays and it bit us in the rear end, guys. That was a pathetic performance and it won't happen again this season."

But who am I kidding, it's Kubiak.

Save week 1, doesn't he say that every week?

Norg
TBH on some plays the colts did stop our run for no gains

And i with kube on this u dont run the ball when your down like 27-7 in the 3rd Qtr

El Tejano
11-02-2010, 02:32 PM
thumpity thump thump on the podium!

Kaiser Toro
11-02-2010, 02:34 PM
I hope someone asks him about Mario's tirade on the sidelines.

fiasco west
11-02-2010, 02:36 PM

And i with kube on this u dont run the ball when your down like 27-7 in the 3rd Qtr

Go back to the game stats, look at the YPC for the Texans. YES the Colts did stop a run, just like Kareem Jackson did defend a pass...do you think the Colts go "Welp, Kareem played that pretty well. Let's not throw to his side anymore."

Also once again, no one is talking about in the 3rd. But that's what happens when you don't establish the run, now the only thing you can do is pass...against two of the better DEs and pass rush in the NFL. Good job Coach.

RTP2110
11-02-2010, 02:38 PM

Here are Foster's 8 first half runs:

5 yards
9 yards
4 yards
8 yards
4 yards
2 yards
33 yards
no gain

There is no excuse for not running more in the first half last night.

kiwitexansfan
11-02-2010, 02:42 PM
The whole you don't run the ball when your behind thing is the most ridiculous piece of garbage thinking in the history of football.

What you effectively do is make yourself one dimensional and give the defense a free ride to tee off on you and forget about playing a balanced responsible defence.

We average more per run attempt than pass attempt so we are moving down the field quicker and it takes no longer to set up after a run than it does for a completed pass. Unless your relying on incompletions to stop the clock, which is a bad idea, especially when Schaub is throwing 3-4 yard passes all the time.

The only time to forget the run is in the 4th quarter down by more than a score and even then I would still run the draw play plenty because prevent defences get carved up by the draw play.

The Cush
11-02-2010, 02:45 PM

Him not running the ball enough in the 1st half is what helped put us in that hole. Freeney and Mathis were just pinning their ears back and blasting up field in full pass rush mode. Kubiak countered by not chipping or doubling them and having Matt drop back to throw while getting hit time and time again

b0ng
11-02-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm hoping that somebody asks him specifically about the 3rd and 2 then the subsequent 4th and 2 that we did not convert due to moronic playcalling.

TexansSeminole
11-02-2010, 03:04 PM
The whole you don't run the ball when your behind thing is the most ridiculous piece of garbage thinking in the history of football.

What you effectively do is make yourself one dimensional and give the defense a free ride to tee off on you and forget about playing a balanced responsible defence.

We average more per run attempt than pass attempt so we are moving down the field quicker and it takes no longer to set up after a run than it does for a completed pass. Unless your relying on incompletions to stop the clock, which is a bad idea, especially when Schaub is throwing 3-4 yard passes all the time.

The only time to forget the run is in the 4th quarter down by more than a score and even then I would still run the draw play plenty because prevent defences get carved up by the draw play.

DING DING mf'n DING!

Hervoyel
11-02-2010, 03:07 PM

They did stop some of our running plays but they failed to stop many more.

Also it's important to note that you don't find yourself down 27-7 in the third quarter nearly as often when you RUN THE DAMN BALL earlier in the game.

Particularly when you're playing against a defense that can't stop you and will wear down quickly if you hammer them steadily with the run. The Colts are made to run all over. There's no excuse for not doing it.

silvrhand
11-02-2010, 03:11 PM
what's the URL please I'm in NYC this week and can't listen unless it's on the internet?

J_R
11-02-2010, 03:12 PM
JM: "Gary, how do you feel about the loss?"

GK: "Obviously it's not good. We gotta get better and better do it quickly. A very good San Diego team is coming to town in 5 days."

yada yada yada, heh.
(Will have a sloppy recap after it's over)

GuerillaBlack
11-02-2010, 03:15 PM
what's the URL please I'm in NYC this week and can't listen unless it's on the internet?

http://player.radio.com/player/RadioPlayer.php?version=1.1.9951&station=63

False Start
11-02-2010, 03:15 PM
He's skipping out on the Kubiak hour today on 610. :uchicken:

GuerillaBlack
11-02-2010, 03:18 PM

Is he really? Wow.

GP
11-02-2010, 03:18 PM
I'm hoping that somebody asks him specifically about the 3rd and 2 then the subsequent 4th and 2 that we did not convert due to moronic playcalling.

Ah, but you forget one thing!

All he has to say is this: 'Well, we saw some things there that indicated we could use that pass play and get the yards. Maybe even break it for a touchdown and then that puts us closer to making the comeback. It didn't work there, but is has worked in other games this year."

The guy is smooth. He's going to have a standard reply for every conceivable question he is asked. He's gotten very good at the press conference thing. He's created his own alternate universe the past few years, and he's busy taking a hike through the forest of his world while everyone else wonders why he is in his underwear on a busy sidewalk in town.

Don't tell Kubiak otherwise. He doesn't like that, and he won't take it from anybody. He knows what he's doing, so just play along already.

GuerillaBlack
11-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Ah, but you forget one thing!

All he has to say is this: 'Well, we saw some things there that indicated we could use that pass play and get the yards. Maybe even break it for a touchdown and then that puts us closer to making the comeback. It didn't work there, but is has worked in other games this year."

The guy is smooth. He's going to have a standard reply for every conceivable question he is asked. He's gotten very good at the press conference thing. He's created his own alternate universe the past few years, and he's busy taking a hike through the forest of his world while everyone else wonders why he is in his underwear on a busy sidewalk in town.

Don't tell Kubiak otherwise. He doesn't like that, and he won't take it from anybody. He knows what he's doing, so just play along already.

And if you don't ask Kubiak softball questions, you get shunned by the Texans' organization. People are afraid to ask the hard questions here. Sucks.

GP
11-02-2010, 03:21 PM

He's gotta' go prepare for the Titans.

I mean, last year after the bye week was over and we lost to the Titans...Kubiak admitted that they weren't really studying the Titans too much because they wanted to fit in some preparation for the Colts whom they would play after the Titans game.

So I bet he's got to go study a few hours of Chargers film and a few hours of Titans film. Just typical coach stuff, ya' know.

False Start
11-02-2010, 03:22 PM
He's gotta' go prepare for the Titans.

I mean, last year after the bye week was over and we lost to the Titans...Kubiak admitted that they weren't really studying the Titans too much because they wanted to fit in some preparation for the Colts whom they would play after the Titans game.

So I bet he's got to go study a few hours of Chargers film and a few hours of Titans film. Just typical coach stuff, ya' know.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. I was just messin around.

GP
11-02-2010, 03:25 PM
And if you don't ask Kubiak softball questions, you get shunned by the Texans' organization. People are afraid to ask the hard questions here. Sucks.

That's why I say that McNair likes stability, no volatility, and everything is carefully crafted by his team of henchmen. He's going to limit any damage that could occur in a potential unscripted environment.

That press room is full of hollow people who dare not ask the emperor the hard questions. It's a colossal waste of time. It's just P.R. and nothing more.

McNair and his guys live in an alternate realm than the one we live in. I truly believe it. They're so insulated from the truth, they create truths and find ways to buy into their own lies.

This franchise is going to have to blindly stumble upon a head coach who is lightning in a bottle. A guy who is so good that he can rise above the foolishness of the Texans' administrative team.

I don't think Cowher would fit here because of that very reason. Cowher would unveil and challenge the McNair universe and its laws of nature very quickly. And there is only room for ONE. Cue the Highlander music....

HTown2ATX
11-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Cue the Highlander music....

Here we are............

Born to be kings........

lol

There can be...only ONE!!!!!! (lightning):devilpig:

Hardcore Texan
11-02-2010, 03:28 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Kubiak-live-at-330-pm-CT/a2ab6e69-c87c-42c2-8799-8f197a99e997

Linkage

Hardcore Texan
11-02-2010, 03:30 PM
We got to play better....in 3.....2......1

Guys need to step up.

It's on me.

False Start
11-02-2010, 03:32 PM
We got to play better....in 3.....2......1

Guys need to step up.

It's on me.

They battled too.

Blake
11-02-2010, 03:33 PM
3 minutes late so far. I guess Kubiak is still drying his tears in the back.

Hardcore Texan
11-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Wow, he's real quiet today.....and transparent too.

Blake
11-02-2010, 03:39 PM
3 minutes late so far. I guess Kubiak is still drying his tears in the back.

Some God like voice just said they are obviously running late.

Buffi2
11-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Running a few minutes late - 10 minutes and counting. Kubiak is hiding somewhere. Can't say as I blame him - I'd be layin' low too.

TexansSeminole
11-02-2010, 03:43 PM
What was his explanation for not running the ball more?

"I wish we would have been able to" or something like that? He didn't really give an answer. "Wish the game would have been closer." Are you kidding me?

TexansSeminole
11-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Would you like to be more balanced, you've run it 9 times on first drives and thrown it 26 times?

Kubiak: Do I trust those numbers? I dunno, I like to be balanced.

Blake
11-02-2010, 03:48 PM
He never thought about taking out DB for RB at LT.

Says that he did alot of good things. And that he was playing against one of the all time greats in Freeney who has been doing this to alot of people for alot of years.

Uhh whatever you say Kubiak.

silvrhand
11-02-2010, 03:50 PM
ROFL.. they seem to be firing some pretty pointy questions today compared to normal.

Texan_Bill
11-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Just once I like to see him be pissed off and hold people accountable. Even laid back Mack Brown went off a couple of weeks ago! If Mack can go off, then certainly Kubiak can go off!!! That effort last night was just not good enough.

silvrhand
11-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Just once I like to see him be pissed off and hold people accountable. Even laid back Mack Brown went off a couple of weeks ago! If Mack can go off, then certainly Kubiak can go off!!! That effort last night was just not good enough.

Wonder what Mack Brown said to his team after they loss to Baylor..
:spin: :spin: :spin:

valleytexfan
11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Can someone recap?

J_R
11-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Running late are we?

Anyhow..

When you look back at film, did you wish to run the ball more? And why was Matt playing so bad?

As far as running the ball, I think we would have. Being 0-6 on 3rd down and getting behind got us out of whack. You still look at it after 3 quarters it was 15-18. We ran the ball well. Sure you'd love to run more but with what happened, it happened that way.

You're getting hammered in the first half. Playing behind alot. What can you do?

That is confusing. I'm looking at that. We've moved the ball well but have not scored at times. Penalties also hurt us.

Are those things you're looking at before the field or on the field?

Not routine or anything. Looking at how we're coming out. The first 15 plays and stuff like that.

taps podium

You didnt use TEs to chip much, what can you do to get the TEs more involved?

We done it some. I think you chip them with running the football.

How much did you consider Rashad?

Never thought of making a change. Duane is our guy. He played one of the great all time players at that position. Got a lot of confidence in Duane. He can play better and we can help him.

Injuries?

Andre ankle is sore. Owen, Adibi hamstring sore.

Speaking of first drives, you thrown 26 times run 9 times. Need better balance there?

I gotta go back and look. I dont know. ALways try to be balanced.

How concerned about pass protection?

Last year, we protected well. This year it's in spurts. Too many sacks this year. Best way to do it is run the ball, control LOS. We gotta do a better job.

On the 47 , 3rd and 2, and threw. Did you know on 3rd down you would go for it on 4th and why not use Arian there?

I cant say I know I'll go for it. Gut feeling in the game. You're right though.

On the D, what did you think as Brian as MLB?

To get thrown in there, he held his own. Held group together. We played good in the first half on D. 2nd half not as well. Couldnt get off the field. Give Cush credit.

taps podium

Same ankle for Andre?

Same ankle, just sore. Tweaked it a little. Playing on turf, we're gonna deal with it. Nothing worse done.

Talk to Schaub at half?

Talk to him all the time. What do you mean?

He came out different

Not all just Matt.

How do you line up wrong?

I dont know. Struggled for me today. Pretty automatic usually. In that environment, it is confusing.

taps podium

Looking back, did you wish you were patient? Look back and say we wished we used him(Arian) more?

I think it would have happened. It happened due to we were 0-6 on 3rd downs. Couldnt stay on the field. Down 24-3 in the 3rd Q, we were patient but it got out of whack because we didnt stay on the field.

Rivers on pace to shatter Marino's record. Talk about Rivers and problems he presents.

Trying to catchup today. He is good. They're trying to make big plays. Can run the ball. With Phillip, they do max protect and get the ball down the field. Very explosive. He's a good player.

Do guys who play well in past, not playing well now, what do you to get them playing like last year?

There are guys playing some good football. We need to find some plays within the game that are difference makers. Gotta create TOs. Gotta create game changing plays on both sides

How did Anderson do?

He'll get more playing time. Bill did good job with rotation.

Did Kareem have his best game?

I think he's getting better each week. We gotta feel good about our D looking at the numbers from yesterday. He continues to improve. He doesnt get down. He doesnt think he got it all figured out when he makes plays.

How much is Mario's groin bothering him? No sacks in last 3 games

I think he's fine. No excuses. He's playing hard. Peyton was moving around.

You were really stuffing the run before, are you worried now about run D?

That was our focus yesterday. We tried to make them run. SD can beat you both ways.

dalemurphy
11-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Kubiak said:

1. He thought the pass rush for the Texans was "pretty good"
2. He doesn't regret throwing the ball in the first half on 3rd and 2 and again on 4th and 2.
3. He doesn't feel they should have run the ball more in that first half.
4. "The problem with pass protection starts with needing to run the ball better."??? (really?)

As a long time Kubiak supporter, I've grown tired and disenchanted. Two weeks to figure things out and I can't tell this team apart from the 2008 version of the Texans. Same crappy defense, totally unable to take care of their zone responsibilities despite the bye week focus. Same poor pass rush. Same protection issues. Same mismanagement of the game... They should have rammed Foster down the Colts' throats and then thrown over top... not attempt passes underneath, unless it was a screen. They were 0-6 on third downs in the first half, passing on every single one, including a 3rd and 2, 4th and 2, and 3rd and 5. Even the next day, he doesn't realize their mistake!

Dishman
11-02-2010, 04:05 PM
JM: "Gary, how do you feel about the loss?"

GK: "Obviously it's not good. We gotta get better and better do it quickly. A very good San Diego team is coming to town in 5 days."

yada yada yada, heh.
(Will have a sloppy recap after it's over)

What's with the terrible B.S. questions like this? Who cares how GK "feels" about this loss?? Do his feelings matter one bit here? The only thing that matters is WHY they lost.

FirstTexansFan
11-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Kubiak said:

2. He doesn't regret throwing the ball in the first half on 3rd and 2 and again on 4th and 2.
4. "The problem with pass protection starts with needing to run the ball better."??? (really?)

As a long time Kubiak supporter, I've grown tired and disenchanted. Two weeks to figure things out and I can't tell this team apart from the 2008 version of the Texans. Same crappy defense, totally unable to take care of their zone responsibilities despite the bye week focus. Same poor pass rush. Same protection issues. Same mismanagement of the game... They should have rammed Foster down the Colts' throats and then thrown over top... not attempt passes underneath, unless it was a screen. They were 0-6 on third downs in the first half, passing on every single one, including a 3rd and 2, 4th and 2, and 3rd and 5. Even the next day, he doesn't realize their mistake!

This^^^ It's time to admit this guy is clueless and move on!

GuerillaBlack
:kubepalm:

Nothing else needed. About time to put the pink soap up on my avatar. Sorry Alicia.

houstonspartan
Kubiak said:

Wow, yeah, you're a HUGE Kubiak person. I'm surprised to hear you say you're growing tired.

I need to go into a media blackout. I have no desire to listen to any of these coaches and players spout the same old song. I like Bernard Pollard, but if I hear him say "We need to fix this" ONE MORE FREAKING TIME I'm going to lose it. And I don't give a rats ass about Eric Winston's ability to break down a play on the radio.

I'm just tired of these guys and hearing the same things over and over.

DX-TEX
11-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Why doesnt anyone in the press grill this guy? He would be eaten alive in Philly or New York.

Get the guy who asked Singletary last week "Has the realization come that this team just isnt very good?"

GuerillaBlack
11-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Wow, yeah, you're a HUGE Kubiak person. I'm surprised to hear you say you're growing tired.

I need to go into a media blackout. I have no desire to listen to any of these coaches and players spout the same old song. I like Bernard Pollard, but if I hear him say "We need to fix this" ONE MORE FREAKING TIME I'm going to lose it. And I don't give a rats ass about Eric Winston's ability to break down a play on the radio.

I'm just tired of these guys and hearing the same things over and over.

Eric Winston needs to go work for 610 and retire from football. I miss the Eric Winston that challenged Kyle Vanden Bosch to a fight against the Titans in Week 2 of last year.

Why doesnt anyone in the press grill this guy? He would be eaten alive in Philly or New York.

If they do, McNair will ban them from the Texans facility.

valleytexfan
11-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Appreciate the recaps...

I like the word "disenchanted" for Kubiak. Count me in as a guy who always gave him the benefit of the doubt and is growing really tired of the same problems and same duds in big games.

No More 8-8's
11-02-2010, 04:14 PM

Get the guy who asked Singletary last week "Has the realization come that this team just isnt very good?"
Same here. They ask alot of "How can you do this" & "What could you do to be better" questions. They never ask "Why"

Why did you make this decision?
Why didnt you put a TE on the Freeney side to chip?

Its just awful reporting in my opinion.

drs23
11-02-2010, 04:15 PM

Nothing else needed. About time to put the pink soap up on my avatar. Sorry Alicia.

Dang GB, dusted the hottie for the soap? Is it really that time? :thinking:

Dishman
11-02-2010, 04:15 PM
It's sad that the entire press conference was just Kubiak talking in circles and doing CYA. He comes out on the one hand saying we couldn't run the ball and then a couple of questions later says they should have run it more...

Maybe I'm almost beyond mad at the players and coaching staff. Bob McNair is in line for some criticism, as well. He owns this mediocre team after all. :thinking:

silvrhand
11-02-2010, 04:17 PM
It's sad that the entire press conference was just Kubiak talking in circles and doing CYA. He comes out on the one hand saying we couldn't run the ball and then a couple of questions later says they should have run it more...

Maybe I'm almost beyond mad at the players and coaching staff. Bob McNair is in line for some criticism, as well. He owns this mediocre team after all. :thinking:

- where did the screen pass go this year?
- what about the swing pass at all?
- WR screen?
- quick slant
- run the ball right at Freeney?
- hello TE please, what 4-5 plays to our TE?

DexmanC
11-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Eric Winston needs to go work for 610 and retire from football. I miss the Eric Winston that challenged Kyle Vanden Bosch to a fight against the Titans in Week 2 of last year.

If they do, McNair will ban them from the Texans facility.

The Texans players know the jig is up, and they'll probably go 1-5 in the
division again this year. The Jags and Titans the same talent level
as the Texans, but their coaching is leaps and bounds better on
all three phases. Del Rio and Fisher run circles around Kubiak, and
laugh while doing it. Give Caldwell another season, and he'll be right there
with those other two. Kubiak just "can't get right."

Speaking of Vanden Bosch, Jim Schwarz knows how to build a team. He's got
a franchise-calibur QB, a franchise-calibur HB, a franchise-calibur WR on offense.
His defensive achor is a high-motor Haynesworth-like monster in the middle of the
D-line. This is only Schwarz's second season, and the Lions already look like a
contender-in-the-making. When was the last time the Texans put up 59 points
on anybody?

DexmanC
11-02-2010, 04:21 PM
- WR screen?
- quick slant

Looks like all those plays left with Kyle. Maybe there was more to
the creative offensive gameplans we had last year than we were willing
to realise?

Hervoyel
11-02-2010, 04:21 PM

It's time.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/release-the-kraken-template-500js031710.gif

houstonspartan
11-02-2010, 04:29 PM

Speaking of Vanden Bosch, Jim Schwarz knows how to build a team. He's got
a franchise-calibur QB, a franchise-calibur HB, a franchise-calibur WR on offense.
His defensive achor is a high-motor Haynesworth-like monster in the middle of the
D-line. This is only Schwarz's second season, and the Lions already look like a
contender-in-the-making. When was the last time the Texans put up 59 points
on anybody?

Dex, have you noticed that, yet again, Jacksonville was left for dead at the start of the season and, yet again, they are grinding out wins and staying in contention? It's the same thing every year with Jacksonville: Everybody ignores them, then halfway through the season, we're looking over our shoulders wonder how the hell Jacksonville caught up with us.

As a Michigan native, I believe that the Lions FINALLY have the right coach in place. I love what they are doing up there. They'll turn it around, and it probably won't take 5 years.

Buffi2
11-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Even the next day, he doesn't realize their mistake!

How could he not...realize his mistake. This one isn't rocket science or even complicated football. This is run the ball on the Colts = a win - or at least a chance of a win.

What is this? Dense, Dumb or Denial?

It seems that last night Kubiak wanted to play my QB is just as good as your QB rather than go for the obvious and run the ball.

houstonspartan
11-02-2010, 04:31 PM
- WR screen?
- quick slant

During the game I kept saying over and over to buddies of mine: "What happened to the short screens to OD?"

I don't get it.

disaacks3
11-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Last year, we protected well. This year it's in spurts. Too many sacks this year. Best way to do it is run the ball, control LOS. We gotta do a better job. Then RUN it, you script-running sorry piece of ....!

Gary - You passed EVERY SINGLE PLAY in your first series...against a team that you ran for 200+ on earlier this year. Your running game averaged 6.5 a carry. You had two chances to pick up a whopping 2 yds for a 1st and passed both times?

silvrhand
11-02-2010, 04:34 PM
to realise?

totally agree, whoever is calling the plays this year needs to get clubbed..

Double Barrel
11-02-2010, 04:34 PM
If y'all want to have fun, take a trip down memory lane and search the forum's archives for last year's press conferences.

Same spewage, different day. :fortune: Déjà vu

Norg
11-02-2010, 04:35 PM

5 yards
9 yards
4 yards
8 yards
4 yards
2 yards
33 yards
no gain

acctually there is U run 3 times teams will simply not respect your pass and put all 10 in da box not even AP or CJ can get +yards from that most of the time

kiwitexansfan
11-02-2010, 04:37 PM
acctually there is U run 3 times teams will simply not respect your pass and put all 10 in da box not even AP or CJ can get +yards from that most of the time

If they put 10 in the box, you hope Schaub has the option to call a pass.

Norg
11-02-2010, 04:37 PM
What's with the terrible B.S. questions like this? Who cares how GK "feels" about this loss?? Do his feelings matter one bit here? The only thing that matters is WHY they lost.

Because We Suck :texflag:

kiwitexansfan
11-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Did Kubiak really say we need to run the ball better?

Foster has the second best YPC in the NFL, how much better do you want to run the ball?

Showtime100
11-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Can someone recap?

The others painted a really good picture of the presser. I don't know if you got this earlier or can't get the link where you are but here you go. Enjoy.

http://kilt.cbslocal.com/2010/11/02/houston-texans-press-conference-8/

fiasco west
11-02-2010, 05:00 PM

No, when a team can't stop you from doing something...they can't stop you from doing something. Just like how teams against the Texans on 3rd and short would rather pass than run. We can't stop it.

Compare this game to how many times we ran the first game.

Usually Tuesday i'm completely over the loss. I realize it's just a sports game and win or lose oh well....but i'm still angry as hell about this loss. Just because I turned the TV onto ESPN and kept hearing "The Colts they just win win win, they are soooo awesome!"

When in reality the Texans shoulda embarrassed these guys on MNF. I know it's not much respect to the Colts...but when you see how on pretty much every running lpay we picked up chunk of yards it should frustrate you that the Texans decided to get cute instead of win the game.

Kubiak was probably out thinking himself. Thinking "Well they expect me to run, so lets pass" The problem is...they can't stop you from running. It's sure points on the F'n board.

The horrible thing is every other team in the NFL will run the ball on the Colts. Making our coach look stupid for his gameplan today.

DX-TEX
11-02-2010, 05:03 PM
The horrible thing is every other team in the NFL will run the ball on the Colts. Making our coach look stupid for his gameplan today.

That and being the only win in the Cowboys column.

Norg
11-02-2010, 05:06 PM
No, when a team can't stop you from doing something...they can't stop you from doing something. Just like how teams against the Texans on 3rd and short would rather pass than run. We can't stop it.

Compare this game to how many times we ran the first game.

Usually Tuesday i'm completely over the loss. I realize it's just a sports game and win or lose oh well....but i'm still angry as hell about this loss. Just because I turned the TV onto ESPN and kept hearing "The Colts they just win win win, they are soooo awesome!"

When in reality the Texans shoulda embarrassed these guys on MNF. I know it's not much respect to the Colts...but when you see how on pretty much every running lpay we picked up chunk of yards it should frustrate you that the Texans decided to get cute instead of win the game.

Kubiak was probably out thinking himself. Thinking "Well they expect me to run, so lets pass" The problem is...they can't stop you from running. It's sure points on the F'n board.

Well i was seeing they can stop it and were going to stop it it was the third qtr the game was getting outta reach We could have ran-To LOSE or pass we had no choice

fiasco west
11-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Well i was seeing they can stop it and were going to stop it it was the third qtr the game was getting outta reach We could have ran-To LOSE or pass we had no choice

You're saying they can stop it? No they couldn't. There is your problem there, you seem to be fine with the game being out of reach by the 3rd quarter.

I'm saying we should have come out running the ball. Still we could have ran it in the 3rd. Whose to say Arian doesn't break one?

I guess this is a bit off topic relative to the thread, but any ways Kubiak never says anything interesting in a press conference. Same thing every loss.

GuerillaBlack
11-02-2010, 05:14 PM

But the Colts WEREN'T stopping it. Foster had eight yards a carry in the first half. What was the Colts D stopping? If you answered the pass, then you'd be correct. I was okay with the first drive (at first) because the second drive of the Texans, they came out running. But on that 3rd and 4th and 2, when Kubiak decided to pass it twice, I just shook my head. That was too much. Foster can get you two yards on two tries.

Dishman
11-02-2010, 05:35 PM
to realise?

Maybe you're onto something, but plenty of people on this board over the years were under them impression Kubiak held tightly onto the offensive playcalling reins with Shanny 'till just the last season or two. That Kubiak was the real mastermind behind it all.

Maybe Kubiak is more hands-off with Dennison around and that's partly to blame or maybe it's just dumb**** transparent playcalling/game management that we've been seeing for a good while now.

I'm one of those that has wanted Kubiak to work out in Houston, but it just doesn't seem like it's going to. Square peg, round hole and all that.

thunderkyss
11-02-2010, 05:38 PM

5 yards
9 yards
4 yards
8 yards
4 yards
2 yards
33 yards
no gain

Let's look at each drive.
1st
-Andre 11 yards
-Incomplete Dressen (wide open high)
-Play action Incomplete (Andre's man is beat, Schaub waited too long)
-Sacked... 3 step drop, waiting for something to develop

2nd
-Foster 5 yards
-Foster 9 yards
-Foster 4 yards
-Incomplete Ward
-Incomplete Jones

3rd
-Foster 8 yards
-Foster 4 yards
-Foster 2 yards
-Pass Ward 6 yards
-incomplete Walter
-incomplete Walter (4th down)

4th (2nd Qtr)
-Interception

5th
-Foster 33 yards
-Ward 0 yards
-pass JJones 5 yards
-sacked
-field goal

6th
-Incomplete Johnson
-Foster 0 yards
-pass AJ 9 yards

7th (0:46 in the half)
-Incomplete Walter
-pass Johnson 6 yards
-Incomplete Daniels
-Punt

We're supposed to have a passing game as well as a run game. Against these same Colts last year, Matt Schaub played pretty well. He's supposed to be one of the more accurate QBs in the league & he's throwing to the best WR in the league.

Looking at each drive individually, I'm not asking myself why we didn't run it more, I'm asking myself why aren't we catching these balls. Remember, our passing game carried us to a top 5 offense, with no run game.

4 plays, 5 plays, 6 plays, 1 play, 5 plays, 3 plays, 3 plays.... we've got to do better than that, our passing game has got to be better than that. 37 passing yards in the first half isn't going to cut it, & you know that. That has nothing to do with Freeney & Mathis. That wouldn't be an excuse for VY or Garrard.... shouldn't be an excuse for Schaub.

Kubiak's explanation, wasn't that we got away from running the ball, but that we didn't stay on the field long enough to establish anything. I think he's right, because it's a problem we've had all year in the first half.

thunderkyss
11-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Freeney and Mathis were just pinning their ears back and blasting up field in full pass rush mode. Kubiak countered by not chipping or doubling them and having Matt drop back to throw while getting hit time and time again

Our guys were doing the same thing. Only difference, is Manning wasn't throwing it high, or behind our receivers, or to the other team.

CretorFrigg
11-02-2010, 05:47 PM
4 plays, 5 plays, 6 plays, 1 play, 5 plays, 3 plays, 3 plays.... we've got to do better than that, our passing game has got to be better than that. 37 passing yards in the first half isn't going to cut it, & you know that. That has nothing to do with Freeney & Mathis. That wouldn't be an excuse for VY or Garrard.... shouldn't be an excuse for Schaub.

I don't get it. I thought it was all about Freeney and Mathis?

If it weren't for the pass protection woes, Schaub would have more than 2 seconds to throw a pass. Unfortunately, Brown was incompetent and consequently unable to fend off Freeney. Winston had his problems too, but Brown was simply dominated throughout the whole game.

So yes, I guess it has nothing to do with Freeney and Mathis. It has everything to do with our o-line.

thunderkyss
11-02-2010, 05:48 PM

The Receivers were open. They just didn't catch the ball. So it wasn't the play call.

False Start
11-02-2010, 05:52 PM
If y'all want to have fun, take a trip down memory lane and search the forum's archives for last year's press conferences.

Creepy maaaan...... :backsout:

TimeKiller
11-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Every week....we should run the ball more...

Every week....THEY DON'T RUN THE BALL MORE...

Someone ought to ask him if he's aware that ESPN commentators went all over the nation talking down to the team. I want to hear what his answer is to that. Probably "Oh that kind of thing doesn't matter to me." to which I would blurt out, "I wonder if it matters to Bob McNair that commentators, especially the hick that is a former coach has the answers but you don't?" and then I would accept my dragging/beating/kicking out of the media room.

thunderkyss
11-02-2010, 06:05 PM

You've got no idea what the players "know" so you need to keep that crap to yourself.

I agree with the "talent level" comment, & people need to stop sleeping around here, thinking a Jags sweep should be a sure thing. No such thing in this league.

If we beat the Jags/Titans, will it be because Gary out coached Fisher & Del Rio, or will the players win in spite of him?

Señor Stan
11-02-2010, 06:14 PM

Yeah, except last year it was JUST THROW THE DANG BALL...WE CAN'T RUN IT!!! Koobs listened a year too late.

b0ng
11-02-2010, 06:14 PM
If we beat the Jags/Titans, will it be because Gary out coached Fisher & Del Rio, or will the players win in spite of him?

I think this can be decided in the context of each game.

thunderkyss
11-02-2010, 06:15 PM
I don't get it. I thought it was all about Freeney and Mathis?

If it weren't for the pass protection woes, Schaub would have more than 2 seconds to throw a pass. Unfortunately, Brown was incompetent and consequently unable to fend off Freeney. Winston had his problems too, but Brown was simply dominated throughout the whole game.

So yes, I guess it has nothing to do with Freeney and Mathis. It has everything to do with our o-line.

One of those sacks came after a high pass thrown to Daniels (?)... if that was a well thrown ball, that would have been a 1st down. The sack (if it would even have happened after that) would have been on a first down & we can recover on second or third. When you're sacked on 3rd down, you're punting.

thunderkyss
11-02-2010, 06:17 PM
I think this can be decided in the context of each game.

Good answer, in that case maybe we should wait till we actually see those games before criticizing for something that may never happen.

DexmanC
11-02-2010, 06:20 PM
You've got no idea what the players "know" so you need to keep that crap to yourself.

I agree with the "talent level" comment, & people need to stop sleeping around here, thinking a Jags sweep should be a sure thing. No such thing in this league.

Whoa, Kool-Aid's got a little "kick" this morning?

J_R
11-02-2010, 06:20 PM
As already mentioned a page or two back, Kubiak not doing his weekly show this week so a few players filled in for him.

Zac Diles:

Rich and Rob here, how is it going?

Going good. Sitting down and relaxing today.

Disappointing outcome. Obviously you can only impact on D, D allowed only 23 points to Manning. Do you feel good about that?

Anytime you get on the field, you want to improve. I think we did yesterday but giving up 23 and asking the O to score 30, we gotta limit the opponents.

11 combined tackles, had a good game, but how was it without DeMeco?

It was different. Brian stepped in and did a great job. DeMeco is the captain and use to seeing him but not the case. Brian did a good job.

How surprised were you when they moved Cushing over and Bentley in?

Thats what he thought was best for the team. Thats the decision he made. It wasnt expected but its the route we're going.

[Caller]: When you have to do these post-game interviews, you have to control your emotions, how do you go about controlling yourself without throwing something across the room?

Def. frustrating. You're gonna expect questions like that though. We're prepared for it. Def. after a loss it's frustrating but have to bottle your emotions.

What's the most surprising question you've been asked?

I can't think of one right now.

Needless to say, a few.

Definitely a few.

Came aboard in 07, 7th round pick, talk about the journey for you.

Hard work. I knew my role was ST as a rookie. Going into offseason, some LBs left and that gave me a chance. This league is about opportunities. It's been a road, but it's fun. I love what I do.

Seemed like going up to Indy, all the experts were picking Colts, but seemed you guys were expecting a W. Do you feel when going against Peyton, it doesnt matter how well you play?

Peyton is an offensive mastermind. Very smart. We def thought going into that game we could win. We all believed in the gameplan. We believed we could but the outcome wasnt in our favor.

Did you blitz him more than other QBs?

Yeah, you dont want him to get comfortable in the pocket. We were trying to pressure him and get him off.

Appreciate the time. Thought on the Chargers?

They're a good team. #1 on O and D. Coming off huge win and they're feeling good about themselves. We have to come out and put together a full game.

Good luck against Chargers.

Thanks, appreciate it.

Mario Williams:

Rich and Rob here, appreciate the time. HOw is it going?

Doing good.

How tough is it after a game like last night? How sore are you?

After the game, because of the time, we didnt get home til 5 in the morning. After that, it made it worse. You're very sore.

What about that game, D did pretty well against Peyton. How do you look back at that game?

Didnt cause any turnovers. Could've knocked more balls down. Think that wouldve helped. Looking back, we need to get turnovers and more passes
broken up.

I was watching, it seemed like in the 2nd half, you and your linemates would try to just get your hands up. Did the strategy change as the game went on?

We practice that every week. The Colts are made to be a lead team. Got the pass rushers and then Peyton. He moves the ball. Hes so good at short quick routes and getting the ball out. Our mindset was to get some balls knocked down. We needed to get more. Dug ourselves in a hole early. Those knockdowns are just as good as sacks.

The impact you have on games, beyond the sacks, with that in mind, there will be fans who judge you solely on sacks. Can you speak on being judged on sacks only, and going up those double teams, the frustration involved there.

I feel like, regardless of whats happening, I'm definitely there on the QB. I've messed up throws and stuff like that. It's also about having teams gameplan for you. I just play ball and dont let it get to me. I dont really think about it. Gotta keep chipping wood.

[Caller]: Colts fan here, ya'll had me scared. People are acting like you's played terrible. You guys have played tough with us. Ya'll stayed with us.

Came down to that turnover I believe. With that being said, that is points off the board. We didnt win but if you look at the game and take all things into account, we were right there and a few plays out of it. We lost turnover battle and that hurt us.

[Caller]: As far as Brian goes, opinion on players moving spots to help fill another spot?

It's...in the NFL, it's amplified. He has so many responsibilities as the MLB now. Totally different. A lot different. Huge task on his part to make those calls. We're trying to help him though. On the D-line, I'm being verbal on the calls he would normally have to make up front. I think he did good though coming in and facing Manning.

Mark Anderson getting more time. Jamison added. Can they help?

Definitly. They can mix it up and make things happen. Mark one of the most explosive guys I've seen. Once he gets into rythym, he can help out substantially in both pass rushing and run defense.

Thanks for the time and joining us.

Definitely. No problem.

Brian Cushing:

Rich and Rob here, how are you?

I'm good. How are you?

Doing good. First start at the MIKE, how did you think it went for you?

Pretty good for the most part. Not gonna get a tougher task going into Indy and playing Peyton Manning.

You didnt have many missed assignments. You're going up against of the greatest QBs, you's seemed to contain him.

He'll get his yards. We couldnt get the turnovers or big plays we needed.

How much do you guys try to disguise your looks against Peyton as opposed to other QBs?

We do. Disguising and throwing off coverages. He's great at what he does. Recognizes things fast. We gotta change things too.

How do you feel about your situation? Where do you feel you are?

I'm getting there. I'm one who plays better as the season goes on. Only 3rd game for me.

Seemed like D was improved, was progress made?

We played better. Our tackling isnt as great as it can be and we couldnt get off the field.

The DB backfield is one of the youngest if not the youngest, they have gotten their criticism, as a LB, you are in the middle. How much of it is it inexperience and how much is it the D-line and LBers?

We dont look at it as a group. There are 11 of us. We're young at CB but we're young at other positions too. Overall, we know, in order to help, we have to get pressure. We have to help each other out and we know that. We feel better about ourselves, obviously though was a loss.

[Caller]: Curious, did you being the captain and calling plays, does that take away from you making plays?.

You have to be technically sound. You do have to take some back from your game. I understand my role now and have to play 110%.

Surprised about Clay Matthews season?

No, not at all. Similar season he had last year.

Did you feel as if he had this kind of impact right off the bat?

Yeah, if he was in the right D. At USC, it was tough for him to get on the field. Now he is at home and is rushing the passer.

Dude is tearing it up. Do you keep tabs on him? Is it competitive?

There is. He is doing a great job. Clay is a pass rusher, I try to do a little of everything. It is competitive atmosphere between us.

Parade of Pro Bowl QBs, Chargers and Rivers are coming in.

He is unbelievable QB. He got weapons around him.

Speaking of weapons, Peter King called Gates a Top 10 TE to ever play the game. How big of a task to keep him in check?

It is. He is an ubelievable weapon.

Big game sunday, appreciate the time. Good luck against SD.

Thanks for having me.

Vonta Leach:

Rich and Rob here, how are you?

Doing alright, could be better but I'm alright.

Seems like everyone in Houston is wondering about the rush vs pass breakdown. What are your thoughts on that?

My take is...when we got down 14, we had to put points on the board. We gotta away from the gameplan.

You wish Arian had more carries?

Our RBs wanna run the ball more but gotta run the plays that are called.

Foster putting up some huge numbers, you take pride in that?

Arian does a good job. Some stuff on his own. O-line does a good job too. When everyone is on the same line, Foster can make some nice runs.

Gruden was giving you some love last night for the Pro Bowl(Send Leach to the beach)

All I wanna do is win so if we win, everything will take care of itself.

Others seem to feed off of you in the lockerroom, at 4-3 what are your thoughts?

You have to look at big picture. Lost 1 game in division. We wanna make the playoffs. Only real guarantee to make the playoffs is win the division.

How concerned are you about the pass protection?

Not just the linemen's fault, many things go into it. We'll have to fix it though.

Can you guys help out Duane Brown? Could more have been done to help out on Freeney?

I would never take a guess but I would probably say yes. That's Dwight Freeney, one of the best pass rushers.

[Caller]: How much of a adrenaline rush do you get when your number is called?

I'm never...I'm never the primary target. I'm an outlet. Sometimes a target on the GL. Anytime you touch the ball, its exciting, since FBs dont touch the ball much.

Some think you could be the KR. You did have that nice KR a few weeks back.

That was pretty good.

Did you tip toe along the sidelines?

Ball was close to the sidelines so I got down a little bit.

Any thoughts on the Chargers?

They got #1 ranked D. Cant dwell on Monday night's game. Gotta make corrections. Short lived and I'm ready to get back out there.

Appreciate you helping us out and Good luck against SD.

Thanks for having me.

thunderkyss
11-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Whoa, Kool-Aid's got a little "kick" this morning?

I'm mixing in Tequila this week...

thunderkyss
11-02-2010, 06:36 PM
As already mentioned a page or two back, Kubiak not doing his weekly show this week so a few players filled in for him.

Doesn't sound like any of them are backing down from the Kubiak group think. They still believe.

DexmanC
11-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Doesn't sound like any of them are backing down from the Kubiak group think. They still believe.

The Texans media department is a well-schooled, well-oiled propaganda machine.
I used to drown myself on listening to 610, and watching every single
video clip on HT.com. That, my friend, is a huge mistake. Absorbing so
much propaganda numbs one's ability to remain objective about the
source of such.

The truth of what the players think will always manifest itself

....on the field.

Didn't they come out ill-prepared?
Didn't they come out unfocused?
Didn't they come out sloppy?

Thoughts control actions. Always look to someone's actions, to determine
what he thinks.

thunderkyss
11-02-2010, 07:42 PM
The Texans media department is a well-schooled, well-oiled propaganda machine.
I used to drown myself on listening to 610, and watching every single
video clip on HT.com. That, my friend, is a huge mistake. Absorbing so
much propaganda numbs one's ability to remain objective about the
source of such.

The truth of what the players think will always manifest itself

....on the field.

Didn't they come out ill-prepared?
Didn't they come out unfocused?
Didn't they come out sloppy?

Thoughts control actions. Always look to someone's actions, to determine
what he thinks.

No, no, & no... The Colts had more false starts than we did. That's sloppy.

We forced three punts, held them to 10 points in the first half. Got a sack in the first Qtr... ran for 65 yards on 8 carries, seems prepared to me.

Judging by your "standard" the Colts gave up on Caldwell in week 1. They were not prepared.... yes or no?
They were not focused... yes or no?
They were sloppy... yes or no?

You don't know what you're talking about.... yes or no?
Your argument doesn't hold water.... yes or no?

Hervoyel
11-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Have the Colts come out unprepared and sloppy on Caldwell five times? The Texans have bumbled their way through 5 games (winning two by coming back on their opponents) so far.

I believe the Texans players will continue to say the right things but their play will speak volumes. If they continue to be incapable of tackling and blocking then what do you make of it? How do you view a team that can't accomplish even the most fundamental tasks?

thunderkyss
11-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Have the Colts come out unprepared and sloppy on Caldwell five times? The Texans have bumbled their way through 5 games (winning two by coming back on their opponents) so far.

I believe the Texans players will continue to say the right things but their play will speak volumes. If they continue to be incapable of tackling and blocking then what do you make of it? How do you view a team that can't accomplish even the most fundamental tasks?

Have you watched the Colts this year or last? Last year, we had them down by 17 at the half twice, they had several come from behind & by the skin of their teeth wins last year, and a few this year.

Hervoyel
11-02-2010, 08:27 PM
I understand that. I'm talking about the Houston Texans not the Indianapolis Colts.

Wolf
11-02-2010, 09:15 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/nfl.fanhouse.com/media/2008/07/milk-carton-running-game_125x125.jpg

Wolf6151
11-02-2010, 11:19 PM
I listened to the press conference from the link that someone posted and have noticed for a while now that our sports reporters in this town sure are soft on Kubiak. They ask vanilla questions and accept vanilla answers, no one asks tough questions or really demands truthful answers from him. This towns sports reporters tv, radio, and print all sound like they're working for the Texans organization.

Norg
11-02-2010, 11:23 PM
But the Colts WEREN'T stopping it. Foster had eight yards a carry in the first half. What was the Colts D stopping? If you answered the pass, then you'd be correct. I was okay with the first drive (at first) because the second drive of the Texans, they came out running. But on that 3rd and 4th and 2, when Kubiak decided to pass it twice, I just shook my head. That was too much. Foster can get you two yards on two tries.

they pretty muched stopped the run at the end of the 2nd by that time the game was already getting out of control

look im on the hole run the ball club has well its just the game was turing into a shoot out are hands were tied

and dont listen to what Kubes or any of the players say there all going to speak football talk

there like pittsburg or the pats the walk the company line

BigBull17
11-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Him not running the ball enough in the 1st half is what helped put us in that hole. Freeney and Mathis were just pinning their ears back and blasting up field in full pass rush mode. Kubiak countered by not chipping or doubling them and having Matt drop back to throw while getting hit time and time again

Yeah, on a few 3rd and 5 ish plays, the Colts had 4 d ends in the game. I would have checked that to a power dive. I like our odds vs a nickle with zero DT's on the field.

BigBull17
11-02-2010, 11:54 PM
Same here. They ask alot of "How can you do this" & "What could you do to be better" questions. They never ask "Why"

Why did you make this decision?
Why didnt you put a Reshad Butler on the Freeney side to chip?

Its just awful reporting in my opinion.

Fixed it. Thats what people do to Mario.

GP
11-03-2010, 02:13 AM
Have you watched the Colts this year or last? Last year, we had them down by 17 at the half twice, they had several come from behind & by the skin of their teeth wins last year, and a few this year.

We're talking about YEARS of the Colts doing one of two things: Either running up the score on people, or coming back and winning a tight game. Occasionally, they might lose a game or two each season. Happens very rarely, btw.

You grab the quirkiest freaking examples, TK.

Mentioning how we had them down by 17 last year, and how those Colts are also having comeback wins this year, too, means NOTHING.

You're trying to make connections that aren't fitting. Herv nailed it when he replied and says "I'm not talking about the Colts. I'm talking about the Texans." Perfect response to your post.

We're talking about US. OUR team. And it's hollow, void of cartilage and actually void of any sort of endoskeleton at all. It's floppy, saggy, sucky, oozing, and yet it's juuuuuust good enough to make it to the store shelves for consumption.

Let's let casual, uninformed Texans fans try their hand at bizarre association-comparison/contrast examples as to what happened and how it can be understood here. I imagine there exists a group of dull, dim-witted Texans fans who have not one clue about the things that we know and discuss on here. All they think is that we lost, but that it's OK because "it was the Colts, so you know...they do that to other teams all the time. Besides, there's always another game! And anything can happen."

The longer I spend time analyzing this team (and watching other teams who ARE consistently successful each week or each year) the more I begin to understand what NOT to do if you're trying to win in today's NFL. It's the equivalent of flying the Air Force's most deadly, complicated, and most powerful airplane--You better know what you're doing, or you'll be dead very quickly. You can't deviate from a plan. You find what works, and you do it. Doesn't matter what you WANT to try or what you THINK you can get away with during the game. Just find what works, and keep doing it until it doesn't work anymore. This whole "get cute" mindset of Kubiak's began vs. the Cowboys, continued with the Giants game, and showed up once again vs. the Colts. The guy is a moron. A smart moron, but a moron nonetheless. For a coach to NOT do what he knows will work, it's freakin' treason against the Texas nation. Treason.

I don;t care if I know all the real details about Kubiak or not. I damn sure don't know what the flip side of Kubiak would be, either, but I have games to go by...I have a long history of seeing the same "Let's get cute and try to do something different and see what happens!" schtick. It's arrogance. It's trying to say to the NFL "Hey, we can do it all. Look at us. You can't stop us when we run it, and you can't stop us when we throw it. Surrender now, while you still have the chance!"

Well, Gary forgets that the other 31 teams out there aren't going to lay down their weapons and accept a life in Kubiak's internment camp. They're laughing at us, TK, because they know they most definitely have an advantage over us when it comes to the very real, clear and present danger of Gary Kubiak getting cute and walking away from the plan that had been working.

Aw Hell, what does it matter anyways. I've gotta admit that I do these long posts to you mostly to help others out there to see the dialogue and hopefully make them sort it all out. I think you don't want to bear the thought of having to back away from Kubiak. You just won't quit him. Because you still think that we're a golden, beam of sunshine through a cloudy day away from putting it all together.

Well, so be it. We're Fluke City with this coaching staff at the helm. Period.

thunderkyss
11-03-2010, 06:22 AM

I understand that. I'm talking about the Houston Texans not the Indianapolis Colts.

Maybe I just should have said, "Yes."

thunderkyss
11-03-2010, 06:29 AM
We're talking about YEARS of the Colts doing one of two things: Either running up the score on people, or coming back and winning a tight game. Occasionally, they might lose a game or two each season. Happens very rarely, btw.

You grab the quirkiest freaking examples, TK.

Mentioning how we had them down by 17 last year, and how those Colts are also having comeback wins this year, too, means NOTHING.

You're trying to make connections that aren't fitting. Herv nailed it when he replied and says "I'm not talking about the Colts. I'm talking about the Texans." Perfect response to your post.

He asked the question, "Have you ever seen the Colts...." My answer was basically "Yes I have, & you have too."

Aw Hell, what does it matter anyways. I've gotta admit that I do these long posts to you mostly to help others out there to see the dialogue and hopefully make them sort it all out. I think you don't want to bear the thought of having to back away from Kubiak. You just won't quit him. Because you still think that we're a golden, beam of sunshine through a cloudy day away from putting it all together.

I think I've been clear, if we don't get it done this year, I want Kubiak gone. I've been specific about what getting it done means, I've drafted a scenario, where 10-6 would still get him fired.

GuerillaBlack
11-03-2010, 06:29 AM
they pretty muched stopped the run at the end of the 2nd by that time the game was already getting out of control

look im on the hole run the ball club has well its just the game was turing into a shoot out are hands were tied

and dont listen to what Kubes or any of the players say there all going to speak football talk

there like pittsburg or the pats the walk the company line

Negative. And the game was getting out of hand because we didn't run it enough to start with.

thunderkyss
11-03-2010, 07:11 AM
Negative. And the game was getting out of hand because we didn't run it enough to start with.

We didn't run it at all the first possession. 4 plays, punt.

We ran the ball three times in a row the second possession. two pass plays, punt.

We ran the ball thrice in a row the next possession, two pass plays, punt.

Matt was intercepted on the next possession (this is our 4th possession)

5th possession started with 2 run plays, then 2 pass plays, punt

6th possession of the first half with 46 seconds left, 4 pass plays.

Short of running the ball every play, I don't think we could have tried to run the ball more in the first half. It wasn't an issue of going away from the run game, it was an issue of not being able to stay on the field.

If you want to criticize Kubiak, criticize him for that. We haven't been able to sustain a drive in the first half all season long.

But this, "He's too stupid to come up with a good game plan against the Colts." crap is stupid..... he's the same guy who came up with the game plan week 1.

hradhak
11-03-2010, 07:33 AM
[INDENT]

If you want to criticize Kubiak, criticize him for that. We haven't been able to sustain a drive in the first half all season long.

I think this is at the heart of the problem. Our first half production has been awful this season. After the first game, have we even been ahead in the first half? This offense really needs to get stared in the first half of games, we're coming up against teams that aren't going to allow us to get back into it.

I, and I think everyone else here, would be fine with passing the ball if we could get it into the end zone. The bottom line, though, is that the Colts had an enormous weakness and we failed to exploit it.

Maddict5
11-03-2010, 08:15 AM

worked week 1 didnt it?

still unbelievably pissed he didnt get grilled alot more about it

Maddict5
11-03-2010, 08:23 AM

We ran the ball three times in a row the second possession. two pass plays, punt.

Short of running the ball every play, I don't think we could have tried to run the ball more in the first half. It wasn't an issue of going away from the run game, it was an issue of not being able to stay on the field.

But this, "He's too stupid to come up with a good game plan against the Colts." crap is stupid..... he's the same guy who came up with the game plan week 1.

alot of those drives stalled when we got pass happy. 1 drive comes to mind0 the long arian run. after that play we ran again for something like 4 then two incompletes & we punt. we keep running and that a TD drive no doubt in my mind.

the colts couldnt stop the run!! AGAIN!! they were killing us from the 2nd pass play (THE 1ST play 1 step drop worked) on! this game couldve gone exactly like week 1 if kubiak wasnt so stubborn. look at my post history- im a huge kubiak supporter but monday night was indefensible so just stop trying

why not come up with the same gameplan against a team that couldnt stop the run then and still cant? why help them by playing to their strength? in a loud environment where passing games nearlt always struggle? he outsmarted himself plain & simple and cost us the game. i hate to say it but we're firmly on the road to 8-8 again with this crap & even I wont want him back then

Blake
11-03-2010, 08:34 AM

I would criticize Kubiak for not seeing Schaub and the WR's struggling with the aggressive pass rush. The interception is a good example to me that the Colts knew the ball was coming out quick. Schaub made a late read and BAM, down by 14. That in addition to the way we won against the Colts in week 1.

Week 1 gameplan? Lets look at that game.

*********1st Possesion************

1-10-IND 31 - M.Schaub pass short left to 83-K.Walter to IND 24 for 7 yards
2-3-IND 24 - M.Schaub pass incomplete short middle to 44-V.Leach
3-3-IND 24 - M.Schaub pass short middle to 12-J.Jones to IND 18 for 6 yards
1-10-IND 18 - A.Foster left tackle to IND 12 for 6 yards
2-4-IND 12 - 23-A.Foster right tackle to IND 8 for 4 yards
1-8-IND 8 - A.Foster left guard to IND 7 for 1 yard
2-7-IND 7 - M.Schaub pass incomplete short middle to 81-O.Daniels
3-7-IND 7 - M.Schaub pass incomplete short middle to 12-J.Jones
4-7-IND 7 - N.Rackers 25 yard field goal is GOOD, NULLIFIED by Penalty
4-12-IND 12 - N.Rackers 30 yard field goal is GOOD

*********2nd Possesion************

1-10-HOU 16 - M.Schaub pass incomplete deep middle to 83-K.Walter. PENALTY on IND-26 - Defensive Pass Interference, 53 yards
1-10-IND 31 - M.Schaub sacked at IND 38 for -7 yards
2-17-IND 38 - M.Schaub pass short left to 23-A.Foster pushed ob at IND 31 for 7 yards
3-10-IND 31 - M.Schaub pass incomplete short left to 12-J.Jones
4-10-IND 31 - N.Rackers 49 yard field goal is GOOD

*********3rd Possesion************

1-10-HOU 20 - A.Foster left tackle to HST 25 for 5 yards
2-5-HOU 25 - A.Foster right end to HST 29 for 4 yards
3-1-HOU 29 - A.Foster left guard to HST 33 for 4 yards
1-10-HOU 33 - A.Foster right guard to HST 34 for 1 yard
2-9-HOU 34 - M.Schaub pass short right to 12-J.Jones pushed ob at IND 43 for 23 yards
1-10-IND 43 - 8-M.Schaub pass deep middle to 80-A.Johnson to IND 22 for 21 yards
1-10-IND 22 8-M.Schaub pass deep middle to 83-K.Walter for 22 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

4 straight runs including a 1st down. Then Schaub and his WR do the rest.

*********4th Possesion************

1-10-HOU 14 - 23-A.Foster left end to HST 21 for 7 yards
2-3-HOU 21 - A.Foster right end to HST 31 for 10 yards
1-10-HOU 31 - M.Schaub pass deep middle intended for 80-A.Johnson INTERCEPTED by 33-M.Bullitt at IND 46.

*********5th Possesion************

1-10-HOU 24 - 8-M.Schaub pass incomplete short middle to 12-J.Jones.
2-10-HOU 24 - A.Foster up the middle to HST 22 for -2 yards (25-J.Powers).
3-12-HOU 22 - M.Schaub sacked at HST 20 for -2 yards
4-14-HOU 20 - M.Turk punts 58 yards to IND 22

2nd sack of the night.

*********6th Possesion************

1-10-HOU 23 - -M.Schaub kneels to HST 22 for -1 yards.

*********Half Time************

Seems to me that 6 of our 13 1st half points were from a short field thanks to Jacoby Jones return, And a 53 yard PI penalty. The rest was good running by Foster and the O-line. Schaub and the wide outs were mediocre at best.

Now here is where it gets fun.

*********1st Possesion************

1-10-HOU 34 - A.Foster right tackle to HST 42 for 8 yards
2-2-HOU 42 - A.Foster left tackle to HST 49 for 7 yards
1-10-HOU 49 - S.Slaton right guard to IND 45 for 6 yards
2-4-IND 45 - S.Slaton right tackle to IND 42 for 3 yards
3-1-IND 42 - 23-A.Foster left end pushed ob at IND 29 for 13 yards
1-10-IND 29 - A.Foster right guard to IND 23 for 6 yards
2-4-IND 23 - S.Slaton left tackle to IND 21 for 2 yards
3-2-IND 21 - A.Foster left tackle to IND 20 for 1 yard
4-1-IND 20 - A.Foster right end to IND 18 for 2 yards
1-10-IND 18 - A.Foster right tackle to IND 14 for 4 yards
2-6-IND 14 - M.Schaub pass incomplete short middle to 12-J.Jones
3-6-IND 14 - M.Schaub pass short middle to 80-A.Johnson to IND 8 for 6 yards (41-A.Bethea).
1-8-IND 8 - A.Foster left guard to IND 2 for 6 yards
Timeout #1 by HST at 07:43.
2-2-IND 2 - A.Foster left end to IND 1 for 1 yard
3-1-IND 1 - A.Foster right tackle for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.

13 runs for the TD including the first 10 plays. 2 passes. Incomplete and 6 yards.

The rest of the half is chock full of BIG runs by Foster and Co.

So my question to you is why did Kubiak understand (mostly in the 2nd half) that we could beat the Colts with a good ground game, essentially limiting Mannings time on the field?

Schaub Week 1: 9/17, 107 YDS, 1 TD, 1 INT

Schaub Week 8: 22/38, 201 YDS, 1 TD, 1 INT

Kubiak had Schaub throw 2.3x more attempts in week 8 for some reason. No reason for that. Kubiak knows first hand how we beat the Colts in week 1. And it sure as hell wasnt with Schaubs arm.

thunderkyss
11-03-2010, 08:44 AM
alot of those drives stalled when we got pass happy. 1 drive comes to mind0 the long arian run. after that play we ran again for something like 4 then two incompletes & we punt. we keep running and that a TD drive no doubt in my mind.

the colts couldnt stop the run!! AGAIN!! they were killing us from the 2nd pass play (THE 1ST play 1 step drop worked) on! this game couldve gone exactly like week 1 if kubiak wasnt so stubborn. look at my post history- im a huge kubiak supporter but monday night was indefensible so just stop trying

why not come up with the same gameplan against a team that couldnt stop the run then and still cant? why help them by playing to their strength? in a loud environment where passing games nearlt always struggle? he outsmarted himself plain & simple and cost us the game. i hate to say it but we're firmly on the road to 8-8 again with this crap & even I wont want him back then

I understand that..... again, I say the issue is that our #1 passing attack is dysfunctional. Even with a game plan that is heavily run biased, which is what we had for every possession except the first & last..... the passing game screwed the pooch.

Not even the #1 rushing offense runs the ball on every single down. The plays we called weren't complicated. Receivers were getting open. If it wasn't a problem with the delivery, it was a problem with catching the ball. But the plays were right.

& nobody knows what the "gameplan" was. Like Kubiak said, if we could have sustained the drives, you might have seen more rushing.

Even when Foster ran for 231 yards against the Colts, there were pass plays mixed in.

thunderkyss
11-03-2010, 08:57 AM
I would criticize Kubiak for not seeing Schaub and the WR's struggling with the aggressive pass rush. The interception is a good example to me that the Colts knew the ball was coming out quick. Schaub made a late read and BAM, down by 14. That in addition to the way we won against the Colts in week 1.

That ball was intercepted because it came out late. It should have been thrown before KDub turned around, the Corner would still have been pushing up the field.

So my question to you is why did Kubiak understand (mostly in the 2nd half) that we could beat the Colts with a good ground game, essentially limiting Mannings time on the field?

Schaub Week 1: 9/17, 107 YDS, 1 TD, 1 INT

Schaub Week 8: 22/38, 201 YDS, 1 TD, 1 INT

Kubiak had Schaub throw 2.3x more attempts in week 8 for some reason. No reason for that. Kubiak knows first hand how we beat the Colts in week 1. And it sure as hell wasnt with Schaubs arm.

The pass plays looked pretty safe. He was hitting wide open receivers. If they made the catches, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. It's not like he was asking them to do anything complicated.

Even that bootleg where Matt eventually hit Andre out of bounds, had Matt threw that ball when he was supposed to, it would have been a big play that would have changed the way they were playing defense.
Andre had two guys beat from the word go, the fake run worked perfectly, Schaub hesitated. That's an execution thing, not a game plan thing.

Blake
11-03-2010, 09:06 AM
That ball was intercepted because it came out late. It should have been thrown before KDub turned around, the Corner would still have been pushing up the field.

Yeah I know it came out late. That is what I said in the previous post that you quoted. Matt was late with the football. Walter didnt come back at all. I think we both agree that Matt wasnt sharp, and the WR were having mediocre games.

The pass plays looked pretty safe. He was hitting wide open receivers. If they made the catches, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. It's not like he was asking them to do anything complicated.

Even that bootleg where Matt eventually hit Andre out of bounds, had Matt threw that ball when he was supposed to, it would have been a big play that would have changed the way they were playing defense.
Andre had two guys beat from the word go, the fake run worked perfectly, Schaub hesitated. That's an execution thing, not a game plan thing.

This isnt about Matt and Andre. This is about the lack of rushing attemps with a ground game that can and was pounding the Colts.

Week 1: 39 attempts - 260 yards - 6.7 YPC
Week 8: 17 attempts - 107 yards - 6.3 YPC

WHY did Kubiak decide to take the game out of Arian's hands, and put it in Schaub and the WR's hands when they so obviously were having off games?

GuerillaBlack
11-03-2010, 09:08 AM

If you want to criticize Kubiak, criticize him for that. We haven't been able to
sustain a drive in the first half all season long.

So, why didn't Kubiak stick to what worked instead of trying to be all fancy and try new things? On Monday Night Football no less? Yes, Kubiak is stupid for that.

HuttoKarl
11-03-2010, 09:19 AM

You can run it in the second when you're down 14-0 though.

Blake
11-03-2010, 09:29 AM
You can run it in the second when you're down 14-0 though.

Agreed!

This one bothered me alot too.

HST 17 IND 30
Houston Texans at 07:23 1-10-HOU 29 - 8-M.Schaub pass incomplete deep left to 80-A.Johnson
2-10-HOU 29 - 8-M.Schaub pass short right to 23-A.Foster to HST 31 for 2 yards
3-8-HOU 31 - 8-M.Schaub pass short right to 23-A.Foster to HST 30 for -1 yards
4-9-HOU 30 (5:51) 1-M.Turk punts 50 yards to IND 20

Over 7 minutes left in the 4th Qtr, down by 2 scores. 3 passes for 1 net yard and a punt. Still have all 3 Time Outs. Playing right into the hands of the Colts Freeney and Mathis. Give up the ball, Manning runs time off the clock essentially ending the game.

El Tejano
11-03-2010, 09:31 AM
I honestly believed that Kubiak felt we had to put up points quickly and from the beginning of the game because he felt Indy was going to be more focused on stopping the run. Since our defense has been giving up over 400 yards per game in the air, he felt it would be a good decision to get Matt into a rythm because he was expecting a shoot out.

I kind of don't blame him for that but IMO if you are going to do that, go ahead and go deep to keep the D honest instead of all this over the middle stuff ...oh yeah, Dwight Freeney is in Matt Schaub's butt by the time he sets himself.

That's why you just run at Dwight Freeney all game long to tire the dude out. That's what we did in week one and that is what Jville did, which by the way are Indy's only two losses.

thunderkyss
11-03-2010, 09:42 AM
This isnt about Matt and Andre. This is about the lack of rushing attemps with a ground game that can and was pounding the Colts.

Week 1: 39 attempts - 260 yards - 6.7 YPC
Week 8: 17 attempts - 107 yards - 6.3 YPC

WHY did Kubiak decide to take the game out of Arian's hands, and put it in Schaub and the WR's hands when they so obviously were having off games?

No, this is about Matt & Andre. I don't believe the plan was to go away from Arian. We couldn't stay on the field, because the passing game wasn't there. & it wasn't because of the pass rush (it didn't help, but Indy's pass rush never nullified our offense like that before).

Again, if they would make the catches, if the ball was thrown with the accuracy & timing required, we would have sustained drives, you would have seen more Foster.

thunderkyss
11-03-2010, 09:50 AM
So, why didn't Kubiak stick to what worked instead of trying to be all fancy and try new things? On Monday Night Football no less? Yes, Kubiak is stupid for that.

New things?

Two of the first three possessions, we ran the ball 3 straight times. Threw the ball twice each time. Throwing the ball is nothing new. With our QB, & the depth of receivers we brag about, this isn't bad game planning to get them involved in the game.

This is not "taking the ball out of Arian's hands."

This is something we should be able to do, no matter who we're playing. & if we can't do it against a "depleted" Colts team, we don't stand a chance against the Chargers, Ravens, Titans, Jets, Eagles, Broncos, or Jaguars.

BigBull17
11-03-2010, 09:52 AM

Yeah they could have. You do it till they stop you. Thats how you beat the Colts. You have to make their sprinter DE's play the run. You get them on their heels and make them band their head. You dont let them pin their ears back and go. We blew it from a play calling point of view. No doubt.

Blake
11-03-2010, 10:04 AM
No, this is about Matt & Andre. I don't believe the plan was to go away from Arian. We couldn't stay on the field, because the passing game wasn't there. & it wasn't because of the pass rush (it didn't help, but Indy's pass rush never nullified our offense like that before).

TK, We didnt need the passing game in week 1! What makes you think we needed it in week 8?

Again, if they would make the catches, if the ball was thrown with the accuracy & timing required, we would have sustained drives, you would have seen more Foster.

If, if, if, that is alot of ifs there. We arent always going to be able to throw the ball around for whatever reason. The ground game was proven against them and was even working the limited amount that we did run the ball. You basically are saying that if Schaub and his WR's arent flowing together that we are going to lose the tough games. Because even though we can run the ball effectivly you are going to keep passing no matter the outcome of said passes.

I dont understand why you dont admit that we can run the ball on the colts and passed too much. You are sticking to your guns that the play calling was fine, with no evidence to back it up.

RTP2110
11-03-2010, 10:27 AM
No, this is about Matt & Andre. I don't believe the plan was to go away from Arian. We couldn't stay on the field, because the passing game wasn't there.

That's exactly what everyone is so upset about. Kubiak is saying that we didn't see enough runs because we couldn't stay on the field. We couldn't stay on the field because we weren't seeing more runs!!

I count 4 Texan first downs in the first half. Three of those came on run plays, and the only first down from a pass was the first play of the game. Forget balance forget getting Schaub in a rhythm. It's a simple matter of go with what works.

thunderkyss
11-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Agreed!

This one bothered me alot too.

HST 17 IND 30
Houston Texans at 07:23 1-10-HOU 29 - 8-M.Schaub pass incomplete deep left to 80-A.Johnson
2-10-HOU 29 - 8-M.Schaub pass short right to 23-A.Foster to HST 31 for 2 yards
3-8-HOU 31 - 8-M.Schaub pass short right to 23-A.Foster to HST 30 for -1 yards
4-9-HOU 30 (5:51) 1-M.Turk punts 50 yards to IND 20

Over 7 minutes left in the 4th Qtr, down by 2 scores. 3 passes for 1 net yard and a punt. Still have all 3 Time Outs. Playing right into the hands of the Colts Freeney and Mathis. Give up the ball, Manning runs time off the clock essentially ending the game.

I agree, this is the worst of them all.

Dishman
11-03-2010, 12:34 PM

You're talking like the pass sets up the run. That's not really the way it works. Besides, how can you say this is about Matt and Andre, when Matt hasn't looked sharp all year and Andre has been hobbled. This is about the coach not playing to the team's strengths.

Hervoyel
11-03-2010, 12:43 PM
You're talking like the pass sets up the run. That's not really the way it works. Besides, how can you say this is about Matt and Andre, when Matt hasn't looked sharp all year and Andre has been hobbled. This is about the coach not playing to the team's strengths.

Or pressing the opponents weakness.

thunderkyss
11-03-2010, 02:24 PM
I dont understand why you dont admit that we can run the ball on the colts and passed too much. You are sticking to your guns that the play calling was fine, with no evidence to back it up.

That's exactly what everyone is so upset about. Kubiak is saying that we didn't see enough runs because we couldn't stay on the field. We couldn't stay on the field because we weren't seeing more runs!!

I just think our problems are deeper than a lack of running. With the talent we have on this team, asking Matt Schaub to pick up a first down or two isn't stupid.

I'm focusing on the first half, because that is mainly where we built the hole. & looking at it on a possession by possession basis, I don't think we were out of whack. Sure we could have called 8 run plays in a row, but throwing it after 3 straight runs isn't poor game planing, especially when one of the plays is a play action bootleg & is a staple of our offense. That's what we do. Everything worked to perfection, except the execution of the pass.

We went into half-time down 17-3 (14 points).

In your opinion (to clarify what this argument is about) are you saying we should have ran the ball more before this point, or after?

thunderkyss
11-03-2010, 02:26 PM

Not at all. Three run plays. Then a pass, with Matt Schaub & Andre Johnson on your team..... what is wrong with that, that's what I'm asking.

Blake
11-03-2010, 03:34 PM
I just think our problems are deeper than a lack of running. With the talent we have on this team, asking Matt Schaub to pick up a first down or two isn't stupid.

I'm focusing on the first half, because that is mainly where we built the hole. & looking at it on a possession by possession basis, I don't think we were out of whack. Sure we could have called 8 run plays in a row, but throwing it after 3 straight runs isn't poor game planing, especially when one of the plays is a play action bootleg & is a staple of our offense. That's what we do. Everything worked to perfection, except the execution of the pass.

In your opinion (to clarify what this argument is about) are you saying we should have ran the ball more before this point, or after?

Not sure if you were asking him, me or both of us. But ill respond.

We should have been running more well before the INT.

The INT was the 10th passing play out of our total number of plays up to that point which was 16. Kubiak always talks about being balanced with play calling, runs and passes. Thats not very good balance to me. Especially when run defense is their Achilles heel.

****************1st serie*********************

1st/10 Pass 11 yards for a 1st down
1st/10 Pass Incomplete
2nd/10 Pass Incomplete
3rd/10 Pass SACKED (Freeney)
4th/16 PUNT

****************2nd serie*********************

1st/10 Run 5 yards
2nd/5 Run 9 yards for a 1st down
1st/10 Run 4 yards
2nd/6 Pass Incomplete
3rd/6 Pass Incomplete
4th/6 PUNT

****************3rd serie*********************

1st/10 Run 8 yards
2nd/2 Run 4 yards for a 1st down
1st/10 Run 2 yards
2nd/8 Pass 6 yards
3rd/2 Pass Incomplete
TIMEOUT
4th/2 Pass Incomplete

****************4th serie*********************

1st/10 Pass INTERCEPTED TOUCHDOWN

****************5th serie*********************

1st/10 Run 33 yards
1st/10 Run 0 yards
2nd/10 Pass 4 yards
3rd/5 Pass SACKED (Session)
4th/12 FIELD GOAL (Rackers)

****************6th serie*********************

1st/10 Incomplete Pass
2nd/10 Run 0 yards
3rd/10 Pass 9 yards
4th/1 PUNT

****************7th serie*********************

1st/10 Pass Incomplete
2nd/10 Pass 6 yards
3rd/4 Pass Incomplete
4th/4 PUNT

***************HALFTIME****************

Schaub is a horrible 5/15 for 36 yards and 1 INT with 2 Sacks. What do we do in the 2nd half? More of the same. He ends up with 38 passing attempts. Pathetic, absolutely pathetic.

Kubiak got way too cute with this game plan. Dom Capers could have won this game. And I HATED Capers.

http://z.about.com/d/houston/1/0/o/-/-/-/doncapers.jpg

Texan_Bill
11-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Game 1 v. Indy 39 rush attempts & 17 passing attempts = Win

Game 2 v. Indy 17 rush attempts & 38 passing attemps = FAIL

And I don't even want to hear that we had to resort to the pass because we got behind on the scoreboard. Arian Foster picks up chunks of yards in bunches. The first game against the Colts, the Texans had TD drives that took 3:34, 1:57 and 2:56...

The one that took just a minute 57, was a 4 play 91 yard drive... Getting behind and time, my ass!

I usually stick up for Kubes but this time instead of trying to outsmart the other coach, he outsmarted himself...

KISS - keep it simple, stupid!!

RTP2110
11-03-2010, 04:38 PM

Sorry I wasn't more clear, but I was mainly talking about the first half play selection.

Dishman
11-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Game 1 v. Indy 39 rush attempts & 17 passing attempts = Win

Game 2 v. Indy 17 rush attempts & 38 passing attemps = FAIL

I usually stick up for Kubes but this time instead of trying to outsmart the other coach, he outsmarted himself...

That's just the straight-up truth right there, ladies and gentlemen.

thunderkyss
11-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Schaub is a horrible 5/15 for 36 yards and 1 INT with 2 Sacks. What do we do in the 2nd half? More of the same. He ends up with 38 passing attempts. Pathetic, absolutely pathetic.

Kubiak got way too cute with this game plan. Dom Capers could have won this game. And I HATED Capers.

3rd Qtr, there were 7 runs & 3 passes. We started the 4th Qtr running 15 times, passing 19 times.

Sorry I wasn't more clear, but I was mainly talking about the first half play selection.

So you are saying we shouldn't have attempted the first pass? We should have just run it every single down?

Are you saying we shouldn't have thrown on those downs when the pass was incomplete? instead that should have been a run?

Keep in mind that last possession was with 46 seconds left in the half.

steelbtexan
11-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Kubiak said:

Wow

DM did you spill koolaid on yourself Monday night? LOL

Seeing the light is a good thing. But I'm willing to wait the rest of the season out. No excuses, Playoffs or bust.

dalemurphy
11-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Wow

DM did you spill koolaid on yourself Monday night? LOL

Seeing the light is a good thing. But I'm willing to wait the rest of the season out. No excuses, Playoffs or bust.

I'm not giving up on the season, but I am very disappointed in the preparation and implimentation of the gameplan Monday. This is the season with the personnel and experience in place to be successful... yet, the defense is much worse and the offense is making the same critical errors it was making two and three years ago.

RTP2110
11-03-2010, 09:20 PM
So you are saying we shouldn't have attempted the first pass? We should have just run it every single down?

Are you saying we shouldn't have thrown on those downs when the pass was incomplete? instead that should have been a run?

Keep in mind that last possession was with 46 seconds left in the half.

You're making it sound as if I'm saying that we should have NEVER passed the ball. Obviously, that's not my point. The bottom line IMO, is that the passing game was not working in the first half. Blame Shchaub, the receivers, the o-line, blame whoever you want, but it just was not working. At the same time, the run game was very productive. It's just sound logic to keep doing what's working.

In week one, the Texans opened the second half with a 15 play TD drive that consisted of 13 runs and 2 passes. I don't see why that same approach wasn't used Monday night when it was working just as well.

thunderkyss
11-04-2010, 12:24 AM
You're making it sound as if I'm saying that we should have NEVER passed the ball. Obviously, that's not my point.

That's what it sounds like I am hearing.

In week one, the Texans opened the second half with a 15 play TD drive that consisted of 13 runs and 2 passes. I don't see why that same approach wasn't used Monday night when it was working just as well.

Our 2nd drive of this game was 3 straight runs followed by a pass. It was incomplete, nothing special, a quick little route, Matt threw the ball too high. Had it been caught, it would have been a first down. The next 5 plays after that could have been runs..... we don't know that for sure, but since the first three plays of the next drive were also runs, I think it's a safe bet (the script & all). Had that simple little route been a completion we might have seen a 15 play 13 run 2 pass drive.

This was Matt's 5th pass attempt. He was 1 for 5 at that point. Who'd have thunk it?

Blake
11-04-2010, 08:10 AM
3rd Qtr, there were 7 runs & 3 passes. We started the 4th Qtr running 15 times, passing 19 times.

TK what are you talking about? 7 runs and 3 passes? There were 11 plays my friend. 6 were passes. Have you even looked this up or are you just making it up as you go?

Blake
11-04-2010, 08:13 AM
You're making it sound as if I'm saying that we should have NEVER passed the ball. Obviously, that's not my point.

That's what it sounds like I am hearing.

That is not what he is saying. He is saying there was no reason to throw the ball 38 times that game. Please see Texan_Bill's post.

I think you are "hearing" what you want to hear. Which makes this so called debate worthless.

thunderkyss
11-04-2010, 08:45 AM
TK what are you talking about? 7 runs and 3 passes? There were 11 plays my friend. 6 were passes. Have you even looked this up or are you just making it up as you go?

Houston Texans at 11:30, (1st play from scrimmage 11:23)
1-10-HST 41 (11:23) (Run formation) A.Foster up the middle to HST 45 for 4 yards (A.Francisco).
2-6-HST 45 (10:51) (Run formation) A.Foster left end to 50 for 5 yards (C.Session, P.Angerer).
3-1-50 (10:13) (Run formation) M.Schaub up the middle to IND 49 for 1 yard (R.Mathis). R5
1-10-IND 49 (9:38) (Run formation) M.Schaub pass short left to A.Foster to IND 35 for 14 yards (A.Francisco). P6
1-10-IND 35 (8:59) D.Ward right end to IND 30 for 5 yards (A.Bethea).
2-5-IND 30 (8:26) (Run formation) A.Foster up the middle to IND 28 for 2 yards (G.Brackett).
3-3-IND 28 (7:47) M.Schaub pass deep right to A.Johnson for 28 yards, TOUCHDOWN. P7

That's 5 runs 2 passes on the first possession of the 3rd Qtr

Houston Texans at 1:18, (1st play from scrimmage 1:10)
1-10-HST 14 (1:10) M.Schaub pass short left to A.Foster to HST 24 for 10 yards (K.Hayden). P8
1-10-HST 24 (:28) M.Schaub pass short right to V.Leach pushed ob at HST 31 for 7 yards (K.Hayden).
2-3-HST 31 (:04) (Run formation) A.Foster up the middle to HST 32 for 1 yard (J.Hughes).
PENALTY on IND-J.Hughes, Face Mask (15 Yards), 15 yards, enforced at HST 32. X9
1-10-HST 47 (:00) M.Schaub pass incomplete short right to J.Jones.

1 run, 3 passes.

Yeah, I don't know what happened there. I obviously have a problem counting.

thunderkyss
11-04-2010, 09:03 AM

That is not what he is saying. He is saying there was no reason to throw the ball 38 times that game. Please see Texan_Bill's post.

I think you are "hearing" what you want to hear. Which makes this so called debate worthless.

To make sure, I asked him specifically what we were talking about. He's talking about the first half play selection. One drive we went run, run, run, pass, pass........ another we went run, run, run, pass, pass.....

I think we could have won the game if we ran the ball more.

No doubt about it.

I also don't believe we would be having this conversation if Matt wasn't 5/15 or whatever he was to start the game.

I also think we would have won the Giants game & the Cowboys game, if Matt Schaub didn't play as bad as he did in those games.

I believe the defense would have played better week 1, week 2, week 4, basically every game this year, if Matt Schaub would play as well in the first Qtr as he has in the 4th Qtr.

I don't care what the game plan is, don't care what the play calling is, if Matt Schaub can't start better, we will not win 4 of the next 9 games.

GP
11-04-2010, 10:25 AM

It's actually that we did not try high-percentage pass plays, such as curls/slants/bubble screen/etc.

Dennison is doing these long, drawn-out pass plays that ake 5 seconds to develop. The VERY first pass play was a three-step drop by Matt and a missile to AJ for a first down.

See what we mean?

It's the complete and utter abandonment of anything SIMPLE.

Sometimes, your guys just need three-step drops and play pitch-and-catch. It's what Kyle had his Redskins do against us the whole first half of the Texans-Skins game. It works. It gets your guys into a rhythm and keeps the clock AND the chains moving.

Plus, if your receivers and TEs are not having that ball hit their hands early and often, they aren;t going to catch it in the 4th quarter. They bobble it, they act like they have never caught a football before. So you have to get that ball hitting their hands, making them get into football shape out there (both physically AND mentally).

So, "YES," you can mix in the pass with the run...so long as you call the right pass plays for the situation that exists.

Instead, we're trying to hit a homerun on every pass play. Even ther receivers themselves seem to be like "WTH?" with having to sprint 20 yards downfield on every play.

Dennison is a fail in the pass playcalling/scheme. EPIC fail. Congrats to him on the run plays, unless that's really more credit that's due to Foster than Dennison. Which is probably true.

Blake
11-04-2010, 11:17 AM
That's 5 runs 2 passes on the first possession of the 3rd Qtr

Yeah, I don't know what happened there. I obviously have a problem counting.

Dont be an *******. You originally wrote "3rd quarter", not "first possession of the third quarter." Read your post before hitting submit.

thunderkyss
11-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Dont be an *******. You originally wrote "3rd quarter", not "first possession of the third quarter." Read your post before hitting submit.

I'm not being an *******, I'm agreeing with you. I screwed up. I can't count.

If you read it correctly, I go through the second possession, where there is 1 run & three passes.

6 runs, 5 passes in the third Qtr...... 11 plays, just like you said.

My numbers don't jive.

Forgive me.

thunderkyss
11-04-2010, 12:11 PM
It's actually that we did not try high-percentage pass plays, such as curls/slants/bubble screen/etc.

Dennison is doing these long, drawn-out pass plays that ake 5 seconds to develop. The VERY first pass play was a three-step drop by Matt and a missile to AJ for a first down.

See what we mean?

It's the complete and utter abandonment of anything SIMPLE.

Sometimes, your guys just need three-step drops and play pitch-and-catch. It's what Kyle had his Redskins do against us the whole first half of the Texans-Skins game. It works. It gets your guys into a rhythm and keeps the clock AND the chains moving.

Plus, if your receivers and TEs are not having that ball hit their hands early and often, they aren;t going to catch it in the 4th quarter. They bobble it, they act like they have never caught a football before. So you have to get that ball hitting their hands, making them get into football shape out there (both physically AND mentally).

If we are talking about the first half, look at the pass plays that ended the drives. They were slants, quick outs, & the INT was a curl. Schaub took too long to throw the ball & KDub did not work back too it.

If you don't have access to the game, I'll concede the point.
But here's a link (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010110100/2010/REG8/texans@colts#tab:watch) of the 4th & 2 fail..... a quick slant that hits KDub in the hands. The pass play before that one, was what looked like it was supposed to be a back-shoulder throw to KDub Matt threw it 8 feet behind him. Walter looks at Matt like, "WTF?"

Here's the INT (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010110100/2010/REG8/texans@colts#tab:watch)

So, "YES," you can mix in the pass with the run...so long as you call the right pass plays for the situation that exists.

Exactly.....

Instead, we're trying to hit a homerun on every pass play. Even ther receivers themselves seem to be like "WTH?" with having to sprint 20 yards downfield on every play.

Dennison is a fail in the pass playcalling/scheme. EPIC fail. Congrats to him on the run plays, unless that's really more credit that's due to Foster than Dennison. Which is probably true.

I don't know if that's the case. I respect your opinion, but when I watched the game again (because I was just as mad as everyone else the first time I watched it), it was either a poorly thrown ball, or a dropped ball. (I should probably throw a little badassery by Freeney & poor blitz pick-up by the Texans, but nothing we haven't overcame before or won't have to overcome in the future).

Obviously I would have liked to have had this win. I think we need to sweep a division opponent to prove we've arrived. That was a perfect opportunity... didn't happen, we haven't arrived anywhere.

We're not going to beat the Jets, Ravens, Titans, Broncos, Chargers if we don't have a passing game.

We're 7 games into this, & our passing game hasn't shown up until our backs are against the wall. Whatever is happening that ignites that sense of urgency in the 4th Qtr, we've got to find it & make it happen in the first.

Blake
11-04-2010, 12:36 PM
I'm not being an *******, I'm agreeing with you. I screwed up. I can't count.

If you read it correctly, I go through the second possession, where there is 1 run & three passes.

6 runs, 5 passes in the third Qtr...... 11 plays, just like you said.

My numbers don't jive.

Forgive me.

Sorry, I took that post the wrong way. :worldpeace:

Rey
11-04-2010, 01:29 PM

Can't speak for the poster you quoted, but I think we should have run the ball more to start the game off with. Had we done that I don't think we put ourselves in that big hole to begin with.

It seems as if Kubiak tries to get too cute at times. Instead of making a team adjust to your strengths, he tries to stay 5 steps ahead AKA, getting too cute.

Here's what I think happened:

With the way we ran on the Colts last time and with all the talk by them leading up to the game about how they were determined to stop the run, I think Kubiak wanted to come out and catch them with their pants down and throw it on them. I think he was too busy trying to out smart the opponent (AKA getting too cute), that he failed to come out and take advantage, and jump on their weakness.

He should have come out and pounded them. At east attempted to assert his will. Attack their weak spot. Forced them to overly commit to the run. And if we continued to get 3-4 yards a pop, just stick with it. If Matt only needed to throw the ball 10 times in that game, so what....

Why in the hell would you come out and play to their strength? I don't care what they were expecting you to do, it is just asinine to come out and try to pass the ball on a team that you have been so successful running against. Makes 0 sense. Kubiak failed with his initial sequence of plays. Kubiak failed by putting D.Brown in that kind of situation. Kubiak failed because Matt pretty much throws at least one pick against the colts every single freaking time we play them. Never fails.

The more and more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that he just doesn't get it.

There is no way that any hard nosed coach comes out and gets cute like Kubiak did. They would have pounded the Colts until they proved without a doubt that they were going to stop it....Then they would have went to some alternative plays...

I do not for the life of me understand how you come out with that initial sequence of plays and then constantly fail to keep it on the ground.

I have hope that this team does well for the rest of the year, but honestly, Kubes is a dumb ass.

And I can't even complain about defense this game. Yeah they made mistakes, but I doubt that any time in the near future there will be a game where a unit fails to make a mistake. That happens.

And at some point you have to give the opposition credit. We were going against Manning, so he was going to get his and make things happen...injuries or not. He was decisive with his throws and his receiving targets did a good job making catches and getting open. They also have a good offensive system. Most games, Colts are going to put up points.

That said, our defense played well enough for us to win that game. They forced some punts. Made the Colts work to complete some passes. Got some pressure on Manning early on. And I don't feel like our secondary was abused all game long. They lost some battles, but they won plenty as well. They aren't going to break up every pass...especially not against that team..

Offense doesn't put us in that hole with that pick six and defense likely can come out and stick to the game plan. Colts would have had more pressure to score points. Manning probably would have been forced to hold the ball longer and look for more plays down field. I thought defense did an o.k job which is a huge step up from putrid.

thunderkyss
11-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Here's what I think happened:

With the way we ran on the Colts last time and with all the talk by them leading up to the game about how they were determined to stop the run, I think Kubiak wanted to come out and catch them with their pants down and throw it on them. I think he was too busy trying to out smart the opponent (AKA getting too cute), that he failed to come out and take advantage, and jump on their weakness.

Jacksonville Just beat them by running over them a few weeks ago. Maybe he was thinking after the bye, the Colts would be better equipped to stop the run.

I just find it hard to believe anyone is that stupid.

Instead, I'm watching all our games, & from week 1, we've had a thread on this board, "Is there something wrong with Matt Schaub?"

I think there is, I think there has been, & I think Kubiak knows he has to get it fixed before we get to the meat of the schedule. He started the game with some easy, quick passes, that we should have been able to complete, but we didn't.

We weren't trying to do anything difficult, it was simple stuff. Receivers were open, receivers were getting their hands on the ball (so it's not all on Matt, I know I make it sound like that sometimes, but that's not what I believe).

After that first possession, if I'm GK I'm going, "WTF???!!!"

So he comes out with a heavy dose of Arian Foster. Three straight runs, then an easy pass..... "okay, it's third down, pressure is on, he seems to do well when pressure is on, we'll call another pass".... incomplete (or a sack, I think that one was a sack).

So he comes out the third time...... three runs, then a pass, "my God, what is going on here? Now it's 4th down, surely he'll get it together on 4th down." Easy pass play...... hits the receiver in the hand, "If it ain't one thing, it's a freak'n nother."

He comes out the 4th time, "ok, he better have his rhythm now, I'll call a simple little curl..... dagnabbit.... he threw it too late & Walter didn't come get it!!!!"

Smart on GK's behalf?? not looking so much now, we'll see how the rest of the season turns out. But we've got to get our passing game together.

thunderkyss
11-04-2010, 01:50 PM
That said, our defense played well enough for us to win that game. They forced some punts. Made the Colts work to complete some passes. Got some pressure on Manning early on. And I don't feel like our secondary was abused all game long. They lost some battles, but they won plenty as well. They aren't going to break up every pass...especially not against that team..

I think Brian Cushing did a fine job locking down the middle. Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie..... they caught a pass in the middle, they didn't turn it into 100 yards. May have been different with Clark, we'll never know.

Not saying he didn't make some mistakes.... just saying he did fine.

Rey
11-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Jacksonville Just beat them by running over them a few weeks ago. Maybe he was thinking after the bye, the Colts would be better equipped to stop the run.

I just find it hard to believe anyone is that stupid.

Instead, I'm watching all our games, & from week 1, we've had a thread on this board, "Is there something wrong with Matt Schaub?"

I think there is, I think there has been, & I think Kubiak knows he has to get it fixed before we get to the meat of the schedule. He started the game with some easy, quick passes, that we should have been able to complete, but we didn't.

TK, I just can't believe he would be doing that while potentially paying the price of losing games.

Surely he had to have realized that a win in Indy (no matter how it came) would have been a huge boost to this franchise. Surely he had to have realized that demoralizing the opponent by doing the exact same thing you did to them the first time and telling them to stop it or die trying would have gone a long, long way for this franchise.

Surely he had to have realized that those things were more important than attempting to fix the passing game in the midst of a heated battle.

If he wants to fix the passing game he needs to do that in practice.

If he can't correct problems in practice then he definitely is not the coach we need. He needs to be fired yesterday.

I just don't think that was the issue. I think he got too cute. I really think it's as simple as that.

Rey
11-04-2010, 02:05 PM
I think Brian Cushing did a fine job locking down the middle. Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie..... they caught a pass in the middle, they didn't turn it into 100 yards. May have been different with Clark, we'll never know.

Not saying he didn't make some mistakes.... just saying he did fine.

I thought Brian did really well. I like what Demeco brought to this team, but I really think that by the end of this year, Brian will be considered an upgrade to that position.

BigBull17
11-04-2010, 02:11 PM

The first pass was damn near a step forward. It was an audible. I kept screaming for a shovel pass, or a screen, or anything that removes their pass rush. Then you get em on misdirection plays. Draws too. You have to beat the agression out of people like Freeney/Mathis.

EDIT: Did anyone notice the track star dlines they used? On a few 3rd downs they brought in more DE's to play DT. I would have checked to a damn power play if the biggest guy on your D is 250 lbs. Some of them were 3rd and 5-7. You are allowed to run the ball on 3rd down, if they have NO ONE near the LOS. Just a stupidly run team.

Hervoyel
11-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Honestly? The only press conference I'm looking forward to is Bill Cowher's Press Conference.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/TexanCowher.gif

thunderkyss
11-04-2010, 04:53 PM
TK, I just can't believe he would be doing that while potentially paying the price of losing games.

Surely he had to have realized that a win in Indy (no matter how it came) would have been a huge boost to this franchise. Surely he had to have realized that demoralizing the opponent by doing the exact same thing you did to them the first time and telling them to stop it or die trying would have gone a long, long way for this franchise.

Surely he had to have realized that those things were more important than attempting to fix the passing game in the midst of a heated battle.

If he wants to fix the passing game he needs to do that in practice.

If he can't correct problems in practice then he definitely is not the coach we need. He needs to be fired yesterday.

I just don't think that was the issue. I think he got too cute. I really think it's as simple as that.

I don't believe a potential loss was considered... I don't think he decided to pass the ball 38 times. I think he planed to come out with a heavy dose of running.

According to Gruden, we had a run play called to start the game, but Schaub saw the soft coverage on Andre & checked to the quick slant.

The second play was an easy out to Dressen he threw high.

The third play was a bootleg off the play action Matt waited too long to throw. It was ran perfectly, Andre waved his hand, he was open, Schaub felt a little pressure held the ball & threw it late, instead of setting up throwing the ball & taking a hit.

If that was the case, was it wrong to allow Matt to change the run play to a quick slant to Andre?

Was it wrong to call a bootleg everybody bit on, putting Andre in position to score a touchdown on the third play of the game?

We're at 3rd & 10 now, do you want to run it?

thunderkyss
11-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Manning came out, attacked our weakness, threw the ball 3 times... he went 3 & out.

We get back on the field run the ball three times in a row.

We then decide to pass, on 2nd & 6 Matt throws it away, because Freeney Bull rushes Brown.

We're now in the shotgun stacked receivers on the left, Jacoby is wide open. The ball is a little behind Jacoby, but catchable.

Was it absolutely, positively wrong for either of those pass play? No way in the world you call them?

thunderkyss
11-04-2010, 05:07 PM
3rd possession, it's the same thing. Three straight run plays, a little screen to Ward for 5 yards. This is 3rd & 2. Walter pushes up the field, turns around, & the ball is thrown 3 yards behind him.

Yes, a run would have made more sense here. It would have made even more sense on 4th & 2, but these are plays we should be able to make.

Rey
11-04-2010, 05:21 PM
The second play was an easy out to Dressen he threw high.

What was wrong with a run here.

I understand that they script the plays. I get that.

But even if Schaub changed the first play to a pass, that's still 2 passes to 1 run.

That's not enough.

jaayteetx
11-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Honestly? The only press conference I'm looking forward to is Bill Cowher's Press Conference.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/TexanCowher.gif

Man, that looks good doesn't it? But seeing the history of past superbowl winning coaches moving on to other teams, it tempers my enthusiasm just a tad.

GuerillaBlack
11-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Man, that looks good doesn't it? But seeing the history of past superbowl winning coaches moving on to other teams, it tempers my enthusiasm just a tad.

But with what we have now? I'll take Cowher please.

thunderkyss
11-04-2010, 05:28 PM
What was wrong with a run here.

I understand that they script the plays. I get that.

But even if Schaub changed the first play to a pass, that's still 2 passes to 1 run.

That's not enough.

What's wrong with a pass here? The receiver is open, there's no pressure.

A run would have been fine, but is there any reason to believe we can't complete this pass?

Dishman
11-04-2010, 05:37 PM

A run would have been fine, but is there any reason to believe we can't complete this pass?

Yes, Matt Schaub hasn't looked right all year. GK is trying to fix him in-game or soemthing rather than sticking with something that has been working better than the passing game this year.

Rey
11-04-2010, 05:46 PM

TK you are the one who said the passing game has not been as good???

Add that with the fact that the Colts are susceptible to the run and I'm not sure why you don't add in more runs.

Couldn't you use the logic of "what wrong with a pass here" with any play?

What was wrong with a pass on the Schaub INT? The receiver was open...It was just a bad throw, and maybe the receiver didn't come back to the ball???

The fact is that the Colts are weakest against the run. Not sure how you defend Kubiak not taking advantage of that.

Trail.Blazr
11-04-2010, 05:51 PM

I really get the impression that the Rooney's trusted Bill and gave him the power to run their organization the way HE wanted. Bill was never on a short leash. Another example is the classy Dungy. Both examples of winners who left on their accord.

To speak to your enthusiasm, what past winners do you think of when it affects your enthusiasm toward Cowher?

Shanny? Billick? Bellichick? Vermeil? Seifert? Switzer? Holmgren?

With exception to Seifert and Switzer, this is a list of names that have proven to be legitimate leaders of men. Some more than others, but Cowher, IMHO definitely stands among the some...

Double Barrel
11-04-2010, 06:06 PM

Fair enough, but there's a first time for everything in the NFL. :shades:

thunderkyss
11-04-2010, 06:12 PM
The fact is that the Colts are weakest against the run. Not sure how you defend Kubiak not taking advantage of that.

I'm not trying to defend Kubiak's gameplan per se...

What we saw yesterday was the same thing we've been seeing all year... "Is there something wrong with Matt Schaub"

Is he giving Schaub more responsibility & that's why he is struggling early?

Or is the passing game something Kubiak can't fix?

thunderkyss
11-04-2010, 06:25 PM
If you're saying you knew the passing game was a mess, & Kubiak should have been running the ball, I can agree with that.

If you're saying the passing game has been working, but not that day.... that's where I have the problem.

Rey
11-04-2010, 06:47 PM
All I've ever said, is if your going to *****, ***** about something real. There's no reason we couldn't have won with the plays we saw & the players we have.

You can say that about almost any play that is called.

Fact is, running the ball more earlier would have given us a better chance to win.

I really don't think I can be swayed on that one.

ATXtexanfan
11-04-2010, 06:53 PM
i'm on board with the O being the major problem this season. they aren't clicking. i'm also lead to believe that schaub is average. dude has accuracy issues, seems like guys are always reaching for balls instead of them being put in the proper position. also seems like schaub rolls out and waits to long to make a throw. maybe its just me

ATXtexanfan
11-04-2010, 06:59 PM

Fact is, running the ball more earlier would have given us a better chance to win.

running the ball more would have helped but the execution of the O is off. the colts execute their offense no matter what play is called. they run the quick slant with $$$ signs all over it but schaub makes a bad throw it seems every time he runs a quick slant. either the wr has to make a catch rather than the ball coming to him or schaub puts the ball where db can get a hand on it. schaub's success of last year has gone to his head i believe. dude is pressing like he needs to win all on his own. i dont know if he understands the concept of managing a game.

thunderkyss
11-04-2010, 07:02 PM

We're saying his game plan was not to run the ball.

He's saying his plan was to run the ball more than we had.... just didn't work out that way.

Some guys are acting like he never should have called the first pass play.

you're not one one of those guys.

thunderkyss
11-04-2010, 07:05 PM
running the ball more would have helped but the execution of the O is off. the colts execute their offense no matter what play is called. they run the quick slant with $$$ signs all over it but schaub makes a bad throw it seems every time he runs a quick slant. either the wr has to make a catch rather than the ball coming to him or schaub puts the ball where db can get a hand on it. schaub's success of last year has gone to his head i believe. dude is pressing like he needs to win all on his own. i dont know if he understands the concept of managing a game.

Looks like a repeat of what we saw with Slaton & Kris Brown.

Doesn't make sense. Schaub was progressing at the end of last year, now he's totally regressing.

I will say this... we seem to play under more control.. all the mistakes we made last year that cost us games seem to have gone away. But so has all the plays that made this offense potent.

Rey
11-04-2010, 07:13 PM

We are not the Colts.

Part of a coaches job is knowing his personnel. Knowing the opponents personnel is a part of the coaches job.

Some teams do other things well, while other teams may excel in another area.

That is the point. Matt Schaub is not an elite QB. He definitely isn't Peyton Manning. Yes, if the colts do some things they are money...Whereas if we do those same things it = FAIL.

thunderkyss
11-04-2010, 07:16 PM
We are not the Colts.

Part of a coaches job is knowing his personnel. Knowing the opponents personnel is a part of the coaches job.

Some teams do other things well, while other teams may excel in another area.

That is the point. Matt Schaub is not an elite QB. He definitely isn't Peyton Manning. Yes, if the colts do some things they are money...Whereas if we do those same things it = FAIL.

David Garrard & Vince Young have better QB ratings against common opponents.

Did you ever think something like that could happen?

Rey
11-04-2010, 07:23 PM
David Garrard & Vince Young have better QB ratings against common opponents.

Did you ever think something like that could happen?

Sure, why not....

Doesn't make them better QB's....Just means that they put up better metrics for what ever goes into QB rating...

Would not take either of them over Schaub or Manning.

DexmanC
11-04-2010, 08:33 PM
When Dale and Barrett go a whole week without video breakdowns,
you know the Kubiak is on thin ice.

dalemurphy
11-04-2010, 09:27 PM
When Dale and Barrett go a whole week without video breakdowns,
you know the Kubiak is on thin ice.

I've been sick for a couple days... but, yeah, I haven't been able to re-watch the game, much less shoot video yet. This one hurt bad and has me reeling.

J_R
11-08-2010, 03:54 PM
After the game, Kareem took all the blame. Thoughts on him?

Hes tough kid. Good kid. In a big situation for young man. Started from day 1. Gave up big plays yesterday but tells you what he's all about. He done some good things. Needs to keep working. No doubt in my mind he'll be good. Also though at the same time, gotta make those plays.

You stayed with him. Gonna stay with him?

You bet.

How did Matt when he took deep breaths this morning?

He was fine. Was in the meeting. He was sore. Nothing physical today.

What have you done on D to improve and what can you do that you havent done?

Gotta settle down people. Brian moved positions, Bentley also in there. Anderson is new at DE. We've done some things better over the last 2 weeks. Nading will get back and gives us flexibility. Need to continue to get better and not give up big plays.

Did Matt suffer bruised ribs?

Hit in lower gut. Took him in and gave him shot to finish the game. Very sore.

Regarding Kareem, same mistakes all year and why no change?

He's best guy to be back there. Got beat in man coverage. Should be getting some help but got beat in man coverage. He's best guy for our team. He done some good things.

[Missed question but regarding along the lines of 5 good plays outweighing the bad or 5 bad plays outweighing the good regarding Kareem Jackson]

I'm watching him. I believe in him.

Dont feel like it costs you games?

A lot of things have cost us games. Win and lose as team.

Who has played well this season on D?

94. Pollard played well yesterday. Mario is consistent. Brian getting better. Cody is consistent.

How frustrating to see guys make same mistakes?

Give me example

Pollard and Cushing got the ball out a lot last year, but they arent making the big plays.

You're right. No turnovers. I think 8 right now. We gotta strip the ball and make big plays. They come in bunches. If you play hard, they'll come.

Achilles heel is AFC south 7-17. Basically have to sweep to make playoffs. How do you convey that to fans and team?

Team is worried about Jacksonville. Not worried about sweep of AFC south. Not focused on the long haul

Why cant this team close out?

We didnt make plays yesterday. 5 or 6 reasons we can all look at each other.

How far away is Nolan from taking over?

He played. He played 15-20 plays. He'll see more time.

In other games, WAS and KC specifically, Offense was calm and got it done. Did you work too quickly in 4th?

No that was the right thing. We were calm. I wish I had that QB sneak back. Wish I took a TO. But I don't. We were calm though.

Does the home record concern you?

Everything concerns me. 4 losses concern me. Doesnt matter where you play, have to play good to win.

This time last year 5-3, lost 4 in a row, bad stretches, does that help them deal with right now?

Dealing with getting beat is hard. Harder after a loss. A lot of positive things but we dont get to talk about those things because we couldnt execute at the end. We're 4-4 and gotta get ready for next week. If we keep playing hard, things will go our way. Gotta find that way to get it done.

HJam72
11-08-2010, 04:01 PM
He didn't know they needed a whole yard on the QB sneak play. Actually, i would say that Kubiak was too calm and just going through the almost pre-decided motions. He expected to have half a yard to go on that play...........so he called a play for that...

Dumb, dumb, da, dumb, dumb...

False Start
11-08-2010, 04:01 PM
HSF09, you left out, tap tap tap. ;)

J_R
11-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Haha, sorry. But yes, some podium taps in there.

Wolf
11-08-2010, 04:09 PM
What have you done on D to improve and what can you do that you havent done?

Gotta settle down people. Brian moved positions, Bentley also in there. Anderson is new at DE. We've done some things better over the last 2 weeks. Nading will get back and gives us flexibility. Need to continue to get better and not give up big plays.

how the hell can Kubiak say that with a straight face?

sure there might have been some parts that were better and their were parts that were worse , but the sum of the total was still about 400 yards of offense and the the Texans still gave up about their average points per game..

wag the dog Kubiak, wag the dog

Grams
11-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Why do you guys even listen - it is the exact same thing as was said last week and the week before. Same drivel each time after a loss.

False Start
11-08-2010, 05:08 PM
The Kubiak show is on 610 (http://player.radio.com/player/RadioPlayer.php) right now.

J_R
11-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Gary Kubiak Show:

Rich and Rob, rough Monday for you. When you look back, biggest regrets?

We didnt close the game. Did good things in all 3 phases. Thought game was going exactly how we wanted it to, had chances, but we didnt finish.

Schaub has sore ribs, how is he?

Took a good shot, he's sore. He's tough though.

You mentioned...regretting not being able to close it out, we get calls from fans..2 points,1. reason behind hurry up and 2. 4th and 2 Schaub sneak. I know you said you wanted that back

Reason for hurry up is, I know we do it good. I wanted to create the pace of the game if we went 3 and out or got stopped that we could get another shot. Didnt want that to be last possession if we got stopped.
4th down - thats part of 2 min. offense. Thats the call we make. Thought we needed half yard but was yard. SD stopped it. We should of called a TO. My fault/responsibility

Couple plays before, Matt called for intential grounding. Sending it to the league? Or did they make the right call in hindsight?

Tricky call. Rule says ball has to be in area of a reciever. Matt did. Official on my side told me he would go tell the other that Dreessen was there. Mike said angle towards throw was not enough towards JOel.

Hard to defend that. Not sure if I've ever seen that call in that situation.

Yeah I dont agree. Matt did all he could do.

Dont wanna linger on it too long but shouldnt in a situation like that, shouldnt they consider whether QB is under pressure?

Yeah, great point. Matt wasnt necessarily under pressure but had nowhere to go so he threw it away.

[Caller]: What is it that you changed your gameplan after putting up 20 pts in the first half? We ran well in the first half and then passed the ball in 2nd half. Only 3 pts in 2nd half.

I disagree. Had 1 possession in 3rd Q and kicked FG. If we score, that would be TD with our only possession.

Another great game from Arian Foster. TD got away when he set hand down. Arian said he wasnt clear on that rule. HAvent coaches told players about that?

They've seen the film. Thats what we teach them off of. I thought the play was the same play as the SB. Caught ball outside of EZ and reached over, TD. They didnt see it that way. They thought he caught it in the EZ so he has to maintain possession. Thought NO had same play in 2 pt conversion in SB.

You turn that into the league?

Oh yeah.

Did you notice...looked like Arian bobbled it some.

I thought he caught it. Everything I see, he caught it. He got great hands, big hands. Very comfortable catching it. It'll be interesting to see what their opinion is.

[Caller]: Consideration, if we keep going down the same path, to a coaching change on D?

Frank did a hell of a job last year. Some adversity this year. Started with Brian missing and has continued - lost Barwin, Bulman, DeMeco, and young secondary. I think we are making progress and are improving. I believe in our coaches and players. At the same time, yes, we have to do better.

More games that go by for Cushing, more seem to think he is better on the edge. Case for keeping him on the middle?

It is different being in the middle. Chargers had #1 offense. Held them to 50 football plays. In that 50 plays, played a good # of snaps on Cover 2. In that, your MIKE will not have a lot of tackles. From that standpoint, yeah, Brians numbers are down, but Brian has played well. I do think we've settled down on D with him going to MIKE. Him going there was a necessity. We did get Kevin back. He played the whole game. Hopefully this healthy situation stays that way.

How about Bentley? HOw did he do at SLB?

He held his own. Solid. Not a lot of impact plays but he was solid. Did his job. Did good things on D. Kevin did his part.

[Caller]: Why not bring in 1 vet corner to work with young corners, like the guy out of GB. Why cant we get one?

Not a lot of guys out there that are free and ready to get right to work. They just dont exist. I dont know about the GB player. We went with our young players. They are doing good things. Kareem played 50 plays, 3 poor plays, and then I can also point out a lot of good plays. Gotta hang onto the positives and work on the negative. Kareem expects to make plays. We gotta believe and trust him. If we do that, good things will happen to him.

What about from mental standpoint? Gotta wear on someone like him. Baptism by fire. How is he holding up?

He's tough minded. Came off best game 2 weeks ago. Times when confidence is good. Not feeling that way today but he has short memory.
His mentality will make him a great player.

What about Nolan? Situation there?

Played 18 of 50 snaps. He'll get more involved. Done good stuff. Reps will climb.

[Caller]: We know the D is going through growing pains and O is better than average, if you could rank yourself against other teams, where would you say you rank?

Well....we're 4-4. We gotta get better. Ranking me? Mr. McNair does that. He's in charge of that. We gotta get better. Play better, coach better, gotta find a way to win.

You feel McNair is still behind you?

You have to ask Bob those questions. I believe in Bob everyday. I feel good about my relationship but this is a business. My job is to win games. McNair evaluates me and I respect the job he does.

OVerall, not a good feeling after yesterday, but reinforced that Arian is a force as a runner. Very little question he is playing at elite level.

Yeah, leading NFL in yards from scrimmage. He's playing special. Very good blitz pickup guy. Very proud of his progress.

He runs with an attitude. Doesnt shy away from contact and doesnt go down easy.

Yeah, must of made 5 plays yesterday that originally didnt look good. He got that big body and is playing well.

As much as you's count on him, you do concern with not putting too much on his plate.

Yeah, he played 60-61 snaps. We talk as a staff on whether he can
handle it. As long as he show signs he can carry it, we'll let him get after it.

Earlier, that opening drive, when you got in RZ, Arian checked out, is that his call or your call?

Tied to on the number of plays on the drive. He'll normally get a break on 7th or 8th play if its a long drive.

[Caller]: The Saints use Bush in a creative ways. I see Slaton in the same way. Ever consider using Slaton in a similar role or out in the slot?

Steve catches the ball good, got speed. One thing we've done is gone to power football. Yardage wise, there is about a 20 yard difference from last year and this year. Steve, with Arian and Derrick, Steve is working hard.
He'll be a big part before this season is over.

[Caller]: I think Cushing is solid, but fact he is in new position, is he losing his edge and aggressiveness, and can he get that back?

He hasnt lost the edge. He is playing well. That hasnt changed. He is in a different spot. We have to be creative in how we bring Brian. It is different for him and has taken time/adjustments but I think it is best for our D. Brian would tell you, he learned as much football in past 2 weeks as he has in past year and half with us.

Looking ahead to 2nd half, tough schedule. Schedule makers didnt help you out. Cant let that get in the way huh?

You're right. Tough schedule but that is a good thing. If we're gonna get there in the end, these are the type of teams we'll have to beat. Gotta keep plugging. Hang onto the good and make the 2-3 plays that'll get the W. Jacksonville a fresh team, coming off the bye.

Texans need to make strong push to keep playoff hopes alive. Previous 4 years, you finished strong. Common thread there to finish strong?

I dont know if there is or not. We'll have to do it again. Rough stretch last year was this next month.

Feel your team is capable to make the strong push?

I have no doubt.

[Caller]: On the last play, why didnt it unfold like it did? Did SChaub rush the pass? Seems like AJ wasnt quite ready.

That play was cover 2 - 2 deep. Andre over the top, Jacoby pulls underneath coverage. Andre expects to make that play. When he makes those plays, we win. Chargers S made a great play on the ball. Sure would be nice to close it out.

Andre usually makes it look routine. Play before, looks Dreessen was surprised. Did SChaub rush that throw?

No, Schaub wasnt rushed. Joel expects to make that play.

[Caller]: Tennessee and Randy Moss - how will you handle that?

In all due respect, havent thought about that. Gotta worry about Jacksonville. Great addition for Tennessee. Opens it up for CJ.

How is Owen Daniels?

I dont know. This is touch and go situation. He didnt step on the field last week. Touch and go this week. He wont go out there until 100%.

When you go next man up, confidence with James Casey?

A lot of confidence. I expected him to play well and he did. We will use him more. Played good on ST. He'll be a heck of a pro for a long time.

Appreciate it. Thoughts on Jacksonville?

Their runner is a great player. Gotta slow him down. Their QB is playing well. Very capable. They played diff. things defensively. They're fresh coming off a bye. They'll have a lot of confidence. We'll have to play well and take the good things we did this past week with us.

Appreciate the time. Good luck.

Alright, have a good evening.

GP
11-08-2010, 08:30 PM
He THOUGHT he had only a half yard to go? Seriously?

Should be fired JUST for that.

Those guys are asked to play their guts out. Run to locker room and get a pain shot. And Kubiak freaking fails to get the needed yardage correct when sending in the play?

I can't believe he admitted that. Honesty is refreshing, but man oh man it just proves he's not a gameday head coach you want handling the duties.

Absolutely dumbfounded after reading that he didn't get the distance right. Jiminy Freaking Christmas, Gary Kubiak.

Just. Go. Away.

J_R
11-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Feel free to call me dumb or a clown for still tuning in heh :eek:

After the game, you said it was inexcusable Glover didnt make the play.

No, not pointing towards Glover. It was us as a team. Glover did what he was suppose to do. My disappointment was meant as a football team. Cant lose a game in that situation. People responsible for going up for the ball and others repsonsible for stopping them.

He was suppose to knock it down?

Exactly. You either catch it or knock it down. If in a tough environment, you knock it down.

You went down and kicked FG early in the game, can you do anything to fix these slow starts?

We moved ball last week well against SD. We have had struggles throughout the season. Couple of 3 and outs(2 yesterday), then down by 7 or whatever, we run 49 football snaps. That's not a lot to get your job done. Gotta find a way to get more snaps. 2nd half we went uptempo. Last week we started uptempo. We need to find more snaps.

When you say uptempo, what does that mean?

You got things you're trying to get done. Had 20-23 snaps at half. We needed to figure out in 2nd half how to get more snaps.

Worse on 3rd down?

2-6 yesterday. Made 1 on first drive. Made 1 later but still punted. Big drop on 3rd down. 2 3 and outs. Not gonna have the ball for long.

Take us through 90 seconds. Scobee misses FG there.

35 yard line is the goal. No wind there. If we get Neil there, good chance we make the FG. 2nd and 10 at 45, That play had 8-10 yards but jumped offsides. 2-15 with 22 secs left, no play there then 3rd and 15. You dont have time to run 8 yard play and then get FG team on the field. Need 19-20 seconds. Couldnt kill the clock because it was 4th down. Once we missed 2nd and 10, we missed out.

Did you think about taking any shots down the field?

3rd and 15 - I think we could still make a play but we werent able to. They also had a kicker who made a 59 yarder a few weeks earlier, which concerned me.

Insight on...they gotta pick themselves up. What did you tell them?

We gotta go back and look at the game first. Not Joel or Quin's fault and if you think so, you're wrong. Many reasons we lost the game. We gotta meet our standards in all 3 phases. Our standard is not being met right now. You wont beat anyone not playing well. Teams we're playing, you got no chance if your not playing well. None bigger this week. Searching for answers on D. Hasnt gotten better so we gotta do some things, figure it out. On O, gotta play 4 quarters instead of 2 1/2. ST wise, we did our job yesterday.

Worst D in the league, anyone gonna lose their job?

We have to do everything we can to improve. Every player we got available, we may have to do things coaching wise, but we gotta give ourselves a chance to improve. We played some different guys, changed things up but things the same.(When he says 'coaching wise', no it did not sound like Frank's job was in any danger)

Did you play McCain more in place of Jackson?

Yes, McCain played more. It was a rotation.

Matt make right decision going into middle on Joel?

Only place he could have gone to. We make 15 yards many times. He did the right thing.

Turk in the bottom of the league. Anticipate a change?

Matt has been consistent. Agree yesterday though wasnt good.

Kareem rotation with McCain was planned then, correct?

Yes, planned.

What else did you do differently on D?

Rotated some guys. Played Sharpton, had plan with Kareem and Brice, played a safety more. We'll get Allen involved. Cushing went back to his spot. That was a positive. Had other problems still. Gotta keep searching.

Play before Antonio Smith offside, did you want to challenge?

Looks like his foot was out.

Did you go back and look?

Yeah, thought his foot was out. Wont hear back until Wednesday from the league.

[Missed question]

We can make a play on the Joel play. Cant get out there though and make the FG.

How surprised your D continues to get beat up so bad?

Come again?

Over last 13 games last year, 4th in D. This year, your D is getting beat up. Does that surprise you?

Yes, I'm struggling big time. Im aware of the issues but not an excuse. No reason not to be improving. Had issues at various spots but there should be progress. In Indy, thought some progress. Against San Diego that all came back. Yesterday, bad again. We're trending the wrong way.

Right before we talked to Glover, you pulled him aside, share what you said?

Worried about guys like that. Just wanted to tell him he did fine, and I'm with him.

What is it like on tape with Arian screen?

We can talk about a play here or there. We had many opportunites to get it done and we didnt get it done.

Anyway to describe why your bad in November?

I would if I could.

As a coach, you been through losing streaks though no loss like this. Job harder this week?

Coming out of a loss, its the same. Yesterday was devistating but still a loss. We gotta do some things to change the things going on. Gotta change the trend on D.

How frustrated are you, at this point, you're in a bad spot after starting out well.

Thats football. Been part of it for a long time. Dont order playoff tickets when 4-2. Just keep playing. If you play well and get some breaks, things can change. Wont change unless you keep working.

Moved Cushing back, how did he do?

He played both inside and outside. Nickel he played inside. Much more impact on stat sheet because where he was. Him there(on the outside) is best for our team so hopefully Kevin (Bentley) can stay healthy.

Change on D calling? Ray Rhodes?

No Frank will still call plays. They're in it together.

Having trouble on D, thought about being more aggressive on O such as going for it on 4th down,etc?

Did that 2 weeks ago and backfired. Better score some more points.

Injuries?

No we came out ok.

Thorn
11-15-2010, 04:23 PM
The only thing I was to hear out of Kubiac's mouth is "good-bye" as he leaves for his next NFL job.

Carr Bombed
11-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Feel free to call me dumb or a clown for still tuning in heh :eek:

After the game, you said it was inexcusable Glover didnt make the play.

No, not pointing towards Glover. It was us as a team. Glover did what he was suppose to do. My disappointment was meant as a football team. Cant lose a game in that situation. People responsible for going up for the ball and others repsonsible for stopping them.

He was suppose to knock it down?

Exactly. You either catch it or knock it down. If in a tough environment, you knock it down.

ect..

Hey, I finally have to take my hat off and give the local media a applause. They actually asked some pretty tough questions and held his feet to the fire.

silvrhand
11-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Hey, I finally have to take my hat off and give the local media a applause. They actually asked some pretty tough questions and held his feet to the fire.

He's done, he needs to go.

- John

Carr Bombed
11-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Hey, is anybody listening to Gary on sports radio 610?

The fans are really taking it to kubiak.

J_R
11-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Hey, is anybody listening to Gary on sports radio 610?

The fans are really taking it together.

Also typing that up as we speak.

But yes, one caller just ripped him for the mediocre D and not upgrading the DT spot.

"Ok caller, let him answer".

Heh.

Pantherstang84
11-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Also typing that up as we speak.

But yes, one caller just ripped him for the mediocre D and not upgrading the DT spot.

"Ok caller, let him answer".

Heh.

Yeah. I just got in the door and jumped on here to see if there were any comments. It is pretty brutal today. Houston is fed up.

hradhak
11-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Over last 13 games last year, 4th in D. This year, your D is getting beat up. Does that surprise you?

Yes, I'm struggling big time. Im aware of the issues but not an excuse. No reason not to be improving. Had issues at various spots but there should be progress. In Indy, thought some progress. Against San Diego that all came back. Yesterday, bad again. We're trending the wrong way.

This is my biggest question. How does our defense regress like this? We were looking promising this season and had all the pieces in place to be a top 15 defense and they come out as the worst defense in the league. And we really only changed 1 player on defense. It just blows my mind.

Pantherstang84
11-15-2010, 06:08 PM
The most disturbing thing I heard from the 610 show is basically nothing is going to change. Kubiak is going to ride Simple Frank all the way to the unemployment line. What this team needs is a :wadepalm:. Someone who knows defense and has proven they know defense. We won't get one under Kubiak. Sad really.

J_R
11-15-2010, 06:33 PM
The most disturbing thing I heard from the 610 show is basically nothing is going to change. Kubiak is going to ride Simple Frank all the way to the unemployment line. What this team needs is a :wadepalm:. Someone who knows defense and has proven they know defense. We won't get one under Kubiak. Sad really.

Yeah, no changes are going to be made, coaching wise. "Frank is doing a heck of a job". Says he gotta get other guys involved.

Anyhow, full recap below:

H: Appreciate it as always. Rich and Rob here. On the game, it seems like you guys are in creative in losing. That was a new one yesterday.

GK: Yeah, very difficult. Had all kind of opportunies. Flipped the game in the 2nd half. We didnt make the plays to finish.

H: A lot of people wondering about final play and whether Glover would be better catching it.

GK: You either catch it or knock it down. He did what he was coached to do. He doenst know where it's gonna go but other guys gotta box out the trailers. We didnt finish the play.

H: One follow up, do you ever consider some WRs back there?

GK: We did work on that a few years ago but our guys should be able to handle that situation. That's something we work on all the time.

H: Mentioned quick turn around in 3rd Q, almost a diff. team. What changed from 1st half to 2nd half.

GK: Was a lot like a couple games back. Not much tempo. Had 2 3 and outs. Had 15 plays and turn around and it was 17-3. Had 49 total snaps, usually its around 70. At half, we said we would go to hurry up mode. We were efficient doing it. Bad snap on 3rd down and had to punt and then TO at end of game.

H: At as much as a loss as much of we are or at least I am? Very flat in many games in the first half.

GK: Different last week. We had our chances in 2nd half yesterday.

H: How much does tackling need to improve?

GK: Just gotta improve on D. Gave up a bunch of yards yesterday. Cant get off the field. Gotta try something different. Gotta get new guys in there, try something different coaching wise. We played better vs Indy, but in last 2 weeks, it has gone back to bad. Gotta find change to the better direction.

H: You mention change, is Bush safe?

GK: Frank is fine. I think Frank is doing a heck of a job. Frank led D last 12 weeks last year when they were good. When it's bad, you gotta try something different. Gotta go about our week different, maybe do different things in different. Gotta introduce change.

H: On the D, you mention doing something different, gotta include looking at different guys?

GK: I dont forsee any big changes but Allen gotta get going. He gotta see the field. McCain was more involved. Safeties playing more. Sharpton saw more time. We gotta get other guys an opportunity. Everyone is gonna get an opportunity.

[Caller]: I've noticed from the beginning of the season until now, seems focus isnt there from the beginning of the season. I'm sure they're motivated but...they were focused and motivated, now it seems the focus isnt there like at the beginning of the season.

GK: I guess...the morale has been good 4 times and bad 5 times. I look at the past couple weeks, nothing wrong with the morale. We just need to make a play or two to finish the game. This group is upbeat though.

H: Tough losses can have a cumulative effect, what can you do as coaches to avoid that?

GK: I dont feel that way. If you got the right and people and doing it the right way, things should work out. There are highs and lows. Right now, we need to keep pushing as a team. Cant feel sorry for yourself. Gotta keep working and get things changed.

[Caller]: Antonio Smith jumps offside in crucial spots, when is enough enough there? It seems it's 50/50 on whether or not he jumps. What was the thought process on the Joel Dreessen play?

GK: Antonio - disagree there. He has jumped a couple times but it's not 50/50 with him. It does hurt but..we address it with our players. He gives us all he got. With Dreessen, we had 22 secs left, 2nd and 10, need 7 yards, then penalty on that play, got pushed back, 3rd and 15 with no TO, we're in a tough bind. I think we can make a play and get clock killed but cant make a play down the field and get the clock killed. Called a play for Matt to go down the field. Got 11 yards there and probably going to OT but in a tough situation because of the 2 prior plays.

H: I wouldnt use the word morale but Antonio said, your message had to do with accountability and guys not giving it their all would not be accepted. Is that right?

GK: Thats the case all the time. We have to remind ourselves of that constantly. We all got a job to do. My talk today was about standards and we arent meeting our standards. When losing, people may not do things harder. That was my message.

H: Need better effort?

GK: No, not effort. They work hard. Got great practices but not transferring to the field.

[Caller]: This mediocre D keeps showing up. I know you had whole offseason to move players around and do this and that, why no dominant DT to help stop the run? You got a young secondary. We need to establish a dominant line. We keep running this mediocre D out there.

GK: Believe it or not, what we are doing well is stopping the run. We struggled stopping the pass. We did draft Mitchell. He has been a positive. I will agree with you on one thing - this D is not acceptable. We have not improved in the last 2 weeks. Gotta show some improvement.

H: Seems like Amobi had one of his better games. How did he do?

GK: We played with good effort inside. Mario also did well. Bottom line - Garrard had a good day so what we're doing, we gotta do better.

H: Thoughts on Bentley and Brian?

GK: Good to get Brian back out there. More factored in the game going back out there. Kevin played better this week. Stamina better, played a lot of snaps. He can run the show. Need constant improvement across the board though.

[Caller]: In regards to clock management, before the end of the first half, we got the ball back, had 3 TOs, threw passes to middle of field and didnt use a TO. At the end of the game, no TOs and threw to middle of the field. Strategy there?

GK: At end of the half, I dont have the exact seconds right now but we were backed up. When we didnt get first down on 2nd down, I didnt wanna punt the ball so I let the clock run out. At the end of the game, we used TOs to get the ball back. We had plenty of time to get the job done but we didnt. We hurt ourselves.

[Caller]: I've heard about mediocre changes or things we hope for, we're playing against an arrogant coach in Rex Ryan. I imagine he's confident. I havent heard anything on what we are going to change. Or is anything going to change? What are some of the mediocre things you hope to see change? Anything you can tell us you have planned that will be different or noticeable?

GK: No big changes. We gotta give more guys opportunities. No lineup changes. No lack of effort on our part. We're just not doing good. Nothing will change on who is calling the D. We need to improve and will do everything we can.

H: Everyone that gets reps, is everyone on notice?

GK: Lets start with, you only got so many guys. You look at the secondary, we lost Barber and that was a blow. All 3 safeties played, all the corners played except Allen and he wasnt ready. Every LB played except Adibi, who has been hurt. On the D-line, everyone played except Nading. We're trying to get everyone involved.

H: What role should we expect to see for Allen?

GK: Hope to see him on the outside. He has played against this team. He has done some good things. Gotta catch him up. We thought about suiting him up but didnt.

H: When you pick up a player like this midseason, how concerned are you about his previous time?

GK: First off, guys arent on the waiver wire unless they dont want them. You evalute based on talent and what you see on film. You then evaluate what you see on the film on how he can help your team.

[Caller]: About accountability, we keep hearing about it, yet the D still stinks and no one lost their jobs, where is the accountability there?

GK: Give me an example. Everyone is playing.

H: My gosh coach, on the first series you played 8 diff linemen.

GK: Everyone is playing. There are different reasons you make changes. Everyone is playing hard. We gotta find a way to get better and that starts with me and Frank. We gotta get everyone more involved.

[Caller]: How can you change the mindset of the players to finish strong?

GK: The mindset is fine. I think we prepare very good and do it good in the week. We just lost 2 tough games in situations where we cant close. Our mindset has been positive. Moving forward, all you can do is stay positive and keep grinding. We're playing great football teams, including the team this week in New York. Have to understand the standard of play right now is not acceptable and gotta fix it.

H: Got a 2 headed RB in NY. Stopping the run #1?

GK: Yeah, big, physical on D. Can give you problems from a mental standpoint.

H: What strides has Sanchez made?

GK: I havent watched him much. Any time you play every week, you get experience and are getting better. When he protects the ball, they're successful.

[Caller]: I realize you're in a tough business, but question is, we feel this O is good enough to be a playoff team. In regards to the D, we spent many #1 picks on D, how many #1 picks will we have to spend? How can we go from #4 in D to where we are now?

GK: I'm baffled by that. Talking about draft choices, look at the successful teams in this league. Just because you have #1 picks doesnt mean you'll be good or successful. Our group has a lot of ability. We lost DeMeco but this group has to find a way, new face Kareem and all, gotta find a way as a group to find an idenity and lead it. We are going with the guys we got and they gotta find a way to get it done.

[Caller]: Tough loss. Fans mad. Beyond the cliches, how do the players get over a tough loss, especially the young guys?

GK: You have to remember, these guys been doing it their whole life. I'm sure all of them have been through tough times. You'll suffer tough losses in this league. You battle with it. Look at the film. Cant let it soak in. All about doing a job and gotta be man enough.

H: Seemed like you had lengthy conversation after PI on Andre Johnson. Can you explain?

GK: Not allowed to pick anyone. If running shallow cross route, and Andre was, Andre and WILL LB ran into each other. Hard call to live with. Splitting hairs how deep it happened. Disagreed with the call but we'll see what league says.

H: Make sure I understand, the LB can hit the WR in the box but WR cant hit LB?

GK: Yeah, I belive it's a 5 yard box. It's a judgement call. Were you running a pick or running a route. I thought Andre was running a route.

H: Appreciate the time. Good luck against NY. Thanks again.

GK: Ok, have a good night.

Wolf
11-15-2010, 06:52 PM
GK: I'm baffled by that. Talking about draft choices, look at the successful teams in this league. Just because you have #1 picks doesn't mean you'll be good or successful. Our group has a lot of ability. We lost DeMeco but this group has to find a way, new face Kareem and all, gotta find a way as a group to find an identity and lead it. We are going with the guys we got and they gotta find a way to get it done.

our group has the ability and needs to find a way..well who is leading that? .. oh that is right Bush.

DexmanC
11-16-2010, 01:50 AM
Looks like the callers weren't takin' no ****.

The whole show went like this:

H: <kisses ass>

GK: <thank you>

[Caller]: <We're sick of your ****, Gary.>

My little Houston Texans fans have grown up. Let 'em have it!

Runner
11-16-2010, 05:53 AM
Sounds like Kubes is still in the sunshine club.

sakebomb
11-16-2010, 06:21 AM
Having trouble on D, thought about being more aggressive on O such as going for it on 4th down,etc?

Did that 2 weeks ago and backfired. Better score some more points.

This really bothers me Gary. Your defense is giving up 28.5 points per game. Only the Cardinals have given up more points this season. An offense cannot be expected to score every time they have the ball. Fix the defense.

sakebomb
11-16-2010, 06:25 AM
Oh, and how difficult is it to get Allen ready for the game? All he has to do is go out and either fall down and get burned deep, or play 10 yards off and get beat down the field slowly. Doesn't seem that difficult to pick up the scheme of the defense.

jaayteetx
11-16-2010, 09:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJdWPSwSOLw

HuttoKarl
11-16-2010, 09:33 AM
[Caller]: I've heard about mediocre changes or things we hope for, we're playing against an arrogant coach in Rex Ryan. I imagine he's confident. I havent heard anything on what we are going to change. Or is anything going to change? What are some of the mediocre things you hope to see change? Anything you can tell us you have planned that will be different or noticeable?

GK: No big changes. We gotta give more guys opportunities. No lineup changes. No lack of effort on our part. We're just not doing good. Nothing will change on who is calling the D. We need to improve and will do everything we can.

:mariopalm::kubepalm::wadepalm::facepalm:

:wow:

Cjeremy635
11-16-2010, 09:40 AM

This is what drives me fukin' CRAZY!!!! The man says we have to make some changes and then goes on to say that we aren't really going to be making any changes. WTF is it? I swear I can't stand this team at this point. I'll always be a fan, but I just watch without getting emotionally involved in the games. That part sucks for me too, because I enjoy getting excited about my team, but it isn't worth getting an ulcer over......and that's the point that I'm at. My 11 year old daughter is smart enough to know that a change is needed. Hell, she was screaming at the TV more than me on Sunday, that's how numb I am to the situation.

Texas T
11-16-2010, 09:45 AM

This is the thing he said that really bothered me... while he basically admitted our D sucks...he's not changing anything..
That makes absolutely NO sense...can anyone explain it to this obviously low minded fan??? 'Cause I just don't get it.

HuttoKarl
11-16-2010, 09:52 AM
This is what drives me fukin' CRAZY!!!! The man says we have to make some changes and then goes on to say that we aren't really going to be making any changes. WTF is it? I swear I can't stand this team at this point. I'll always be a fan, but I just watch without getting emotionally involved in the games. That part sucks for me too, because I enjoy getting excited about my team, but it isn't worth getting an ulcer over......and that's the point that I'm at. My 11 year old daughter is smart enough to know that a change is needed. Hell, she was screaming at the TV more than me on Sunday, that's how numb I am to the situation.

No joke...the defense isn't working...hasn't worked all season long. It's insane to trot the same crappy vanilla, no-blitzing, no creativity scheme out there every week for teams to exploit. Play nickel all game and send some corners in to blitz...we got these physical guys on the team but don't use them for ****e. Teams know that they can hold the ball for a few seconds and rape our CB's and S's and the QB may or may not take a hit while his WR is scoring a TD. There's not a bit of fear that any of our opposition feels on offense. They know nothing's going to happen differently than the game tape they've seen because our defensive coordinator is crap and our head coach lacks the scrotum fillers to fix the problems.

Cjeremy635
11-16-2010, 10:09 AM
I just don't understand the lack of creativity with the defense. We can't stop them with man to man or nickel. We don't blitz right....I say that because when we do it, it rarely works. There are no disguises of schemes or defenders. We don't roll linemen and bring up LBs, only to have them fool the QB and make him throw an INT. All the crap I see other teams do, we don't have in our playbooks. They can blame it on the players, but the coach picked these guys and they have done a poor job at teaching them the tools of the trade. I'm a manager at my company. If I trained my employees this poorly, I'd have been out of a job already. The buck stops at the HC and he's done a poor job at making sure his players fully understand what it is they are supposed to do and failed miserably at getting a DC who can actually understand the chess match that occurs on a football field.

Pantherstang84
11-16-2010, 10:34 AM

I think he's done and packed it in. He is just going through the motions now. He is lost and doesn't know what to do. He gambled on a young inexperienced secondary and lost. The players have lost focus as a team. The Kubiak experiment is over and it failed. He knows it too. Too bad. I really liked the guy and really wanted him to work out here. It just didn't happen.

thunderkyss
11-16-2010, 11:17 AM
This is the thing he said that really bothered me... while he basically admitted our D sucks...he's not changing anything..
That makes absolutely NO sense...can anyone explain it to this obviously low minded fan??? 'Cause I just don't get it.

I've got a group of guys that have a job to do. They are over their head, but doesn't change the fact, that I've got a job to do, & I've got to do it with the guys I've got.

It's not that my guys are stupid, or can't do the work, it's that they are inexperienced. When we're working with a good job plan, we're very good at what we do. When things start going to hell, & we have to adjust on the fly, pressure is on, and things are happening at a fast pace... we have issues.

I'm not going to tell them they suck, or that I don't believe in them. I'm going to blow smoke up their butts, just like I'll blow smoke up to the people I report through.

When they screw up, I get on them. I work with them to correct deficiencies. But I don't ratt on them to the people I work for. I hold them accountable. They might not be fired next week, I might have the same guy leading the next job.... it's just the way it is.

houstonspartan
11-16-2010, 11:34 AM
I've got a group of guys that have a job to do. They are over their head, but doesn't change the fact, that I've got a job to do, & I've got to do it with the guys I've got.

It's not that my guys are stupid, or can't do the work, it's that they are inexperienced. When we're working with a good job plan, we're very good at what we do. When things start going to hell, & we have to adjust on the fly, pressure is on, and things are happening at a fast pace... we have issues.

I'm not going to tell them they suck, or that I don't believe in them. I'm going to blow smoke up their butts, just like I'll blow smoke up to the people I report through.

When they screw up, I get on them. I work with them to correct deficiencies. But I don't ratt on them to the people I work for. I hold them accountable. They might not be fired next week, I might have the same guy leading the next job.... it's just the way it is.

Bull****. You fire them.

Not right away, but after seeing the same old mistakes, YOU FIRE THEM.

Goddamn these excuses are getting SO old!

DexmanC
11-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Bull****. You fire them.

I wonder if TK watches "The Apprentice."

When The Donald taps that desk, and points at you, you know what time it is.

thunderkyss
11-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Bull****. You fire them.

Bull****.

If I don't think they can do the job, that they'll never catch on..... yeah, I'll fire them.

If they keep making the same stupid mistakes....... yeah, I'll fire them.

If they blatantly do something I told them not to do...... yeah, I'll fire them.

I'm not making excuses, no more sunshine from me.

My point is holding someone accountable does not mean firing them, doesn't mean to call them out to the media. That's playground ****.

Doesn't work like that for you in your job, doesn't work like that for anyone...... depending on how bad the infraction of course.

Cjeremy635
11-16-2010, 12:00 PM

Agree to an extent. I have guys that work for me that have been with me for several years. I've covered for them and tried to teach them, but sometimes they just don't get it (or don't care). I recently had to sit a few of them down and tell them that "by them not doing their job, eventually it's going to jeopardize mine, and I will not tolerate that". I then explained to them how I have covered for them long enough and that we are only as strong as our weakest link. They were put on notice that their work ethic has been below acceptable and if they continue to perform as such, they will be terminated. One of them has been with me for about 8 years and I've taken him under my wing, mainly because I feel sorry for him. Regardless, I have a job to do and they get paid to do theirs. Like I told them, "I don't see you giving your paycheck back when you're not doing your job, so from here on out, don't expect to keep receiving one when your not performing your duties."

houstonspartan
11-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Bull****.

If I don't think they can do the job, that they'll never catch on..... yeah, I'll fire them.

If they keep making the same stupid mistakes....... yeah, I'll fire them.

If they blatantly do something I told them not to do...... yeah, I'll fire them.

I'm not making excuses, no more sunshine from me.

My point is holding someone accountable does not mean firing them, doesn't mean to call them out to the media. That's playground ****.

Doesn't work like that for you in your job, doesn't work like that for anyone...... depending on how bad the infraction of course.

I am not saying to call someone out to the media. I am saying FIRE THEM. CUT THEM. GET RID OF THEM.

If I make a mistake, my bosses give me a break. But if I keep making the same mistakes over, and over, and over and over and over and over again, and my bosses see that I am not getting it, I will get fired.

As will you. As will anyone.

No one has lifetime job security.

thunderkyss
11-16-2010, 12:06 PM
I then explained to them how I have covered for them long enough and that we are only as strong as our weakest link. They were put on notice that their work ethic has been below acceptable and if they continue to perform as such, they will be terminated.

That's basically all I'm saying. You don't have to fire someone to hold them accountable.

You don't need to call them out in a press conference.

What you told them you may have shared with your boss.... no one else.

That's just plain respect for a person.

If you're going to tell me our offense is fine, based on statistics, & those same statistics tell you our defense is bad, it's not too hard to go back to last season.... heck, 10 months ago when our defense was ranked just outside the top 10.

Three months later you want to fire that same guy??

Bull ****!

houstonspartan
11-16-2010, 12:09 PM
That's basically all I'm saying. You don't have to fire someone to hold them accountable.

Well, sure. That's one reason I felt that the response to McNair's comments about Kubiak were totally overblown. I don't expect McNair to call out Kubiak in the press.

But, that doesn't mean that I don't expect Kubiak to not be fired, either. Kubiak has not gotten the job done.

Cjeremy635
11-16-2010, 12:12 PM

If you're going to tell me our offense is fine, based on statistics, & those same statistics tell you our defense is bad, it's not too hard to go back to last season.... heck, 10 months ago when our defense was ranked just outside the top 10.

Three months later you want to fire that same guy??

Bull ****!

I get what you're saying TK. My conversation was strictly between me and my employees, it went no further. My concern with Gary though, is will he be able to drop the axe if the time comes?

thunderkyss
11-16-2010, 12:20 PM
I am not saying to call someone out to the media. I am saying FIRE THEM. CUT THEM. GET RID OF THEM.

If I make a mistake, my bosses give me a break. But if I keep making the same mistakes over, and over, and over and over and over and over again, and my bosses see that I am not getting it, I will get fired.

As will you. As will anyone.

No one has lifetime job security.

keep in mind, I agree with you on how pathetic our defense is.

Whose job are we talking about here.

Kareem Jackson?? He fell down three times (maybe four)...... other than that he has had more "good" plays, than "bad" plays.

Amobi?? I agree, but let's wait until we get someone who plays better. If that means we'll have to wait until Bush & Kubiak are gone, then we'll have to wait.

Frank Bush?? Fire him? Now? He did a good job (maybe better than good) last year. It's a little early to fire him now, if you ask me.

Joe Texan
11-16-2010, 12:28 PM
I would have fired Quinn right there on the feild, give me your helmet and your jersey son, I will sign you up for volly ball lessons when we get back but that was not a football move.:wadepalm:

houstonspartan
11-16-2010, 12:30 PM
keep in mind, I agree with you on how pathetic our defense is.

Whose job are we talking about here.

Kareem Jackson?? He fell down three times (maybe four)...... other than that he has had more "good" plays, than "bad" plays.

Amobi?? I agree, but let's wait until we get someone who plays better. If that means we'll have to wait until Bush & Kubiak are gone, then we'll have to wait.

Frank Bush?? Fire him? Now? He did a good job (maybe better than good) last year. It's a little early to fire him now, if you ask me.

A little early?

You know what. Never mind. You think this team is headed to the Super Bowl.

Cjeremy635
11-22-2010, 03:29 PM
It's supposed to start in 1 minute.

http://prod.www.texans.clubs.nfl.com/tv-media/videos/Kubiak-live-at-330-pm-CT/54493647-7afd-4e8f-acc6-3fe4f0bb66f4

Cjeremy635
11-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Late as usual.....just like my damn wife!

Cjeremy635
11-22-2010, 03:35 PM
starting!

will742
11-22-2010, 03:37 PM
I really can't believe that GK thinks we're all that naive. Good lord.

I don't know why I'm listening to all of this, it only infuriates me more.

Pantherstang84
11-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Holy crap! There are some fastballs being thrown today. Even by McGobbler.

GP
11-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Holy crap! There are some fastballs being thrown today. Even by McGobbler.

what was the question?

Cjeremy635
11-22-2010, 03:43 PM
So....he's still keeping Bush because he "believes in him"? That's a bunch of BS. I believe I can jump over the moon, but we all know that **** ain't happening either!

ThaShark316
11-22-2010, 03:45 PM
So....he's still keeping Bush because he "believes in him"? That's a bunch of BS. I believe I can jump over the moon, but we all know that **** ain't happening either!

"i believe in him" (til week 17).

Pantherstang84
what was the question?

"Gary, as bad as your defense has played this year, how can you justify keeping Frank Bush as your defensive coordinator?"

Picking him apart on the 2 minute offense.

wagonhed
he just said "hell". wow.

sandmanx
11-22-2010, 03:46 PM

Working for the Texans coaching staff must be a government job. Once you're hired you can't get fired.

TexansBlood
11-22-2010, 03:51 PM
LOL he left mad

Cjeremy635
Gary didn't like that last question by McGobbler did he? LMFAO!

Showtime100
McClain: Considering how bad things have been are you worried about your job?

Kubes: I don't worry about such things.

He'd better give it some thought. It might change his sense of urgency from none to some.

TexansSeminole
11-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Sounds like a good press conference in that they pushed him a little bit.

I would love a recap.

wagonhed

hahaha seriously. that was tense!

GP

We need to send McClain a Thank You note, maybe?

Give him a pat on the back, and say "Thank you for standing up to the Emperor."

Pantherstang84
"Gary, are you worried about losing your job?" -McGobbler

houstonspartan
11-22-2010, 03:53 PM

Gary did not like that question AT ALL. Damn.

Ole Miss Texan

He'd better give it some thought. It might change his sense of urgency from none to some.

He said he doesn't worry about himself or what might happen to him but he always worries about his players and coaches. McClain followed it up with, 'so are you worried some of your coaches might get fired' (something like that and Kubiak responded 'that's what I said, I worry about them.' LOL

Cjeremy635
I'm so sick and tired about hearing him talk about effort.

Kubiak: "Those guys are playing hard and giving great effort."

Fukin' BS! I can run around for 60 minutes too, doesn't mean I know what the hell I'm doing out there. This jackass has got to go....him and his cast of dumbasses he calls coordinators.

Mr. Texan
11-22-2010, 03:54 PM
http://n30cramanc3r.ohdemit.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/hemad.jpg

Showtime100
"Gary, as bad as your defense has played this year, how can you justify keeping Frank Bush as your defensive coordinator?"

Picking him apart on the 2 minute offense.

LOL! "Oh-and fourteen?? Whaa?? I don't think that's right.

A lot of that going around Kubes. :foottap:

Ole Miss Texan

Gary did not like that question AT ALL. Damn.

They were bringin it today. This isn't the same ol houston media!!! Kubiak was definitely feeling it from them and McClain really pushed it right at the end. Kubes was upset. lol

GP
11-22-2010, 03:55 PM

I would have followed it up with this "What did you tell your players in the locker room after that loss? What was the mood? Are there any players that you can see, after a loss like that, who are addressing the team and trying to keep them all focused, to exhibit leadership? How do you re-focus them after that loss?"

Just pound him with inside fastballs, one right after another, until he freaking explodes and goes Dennis Green out there.

Showtime100
He said he doesn't worry about himself or what might happen to him but he always worries about his players and coaches. McClain followed it up with, 'so are you worried some of your coaches might get fired' (something like that and Kubiak responded 'that's what I said, I worry about them.' LOL

Yeah, I was doing the hurry-up paraphrase...lol.

houstonspartan

You know, I actually believe him. I don't think he worries about his job at all. If he's fired, he's fired. He will still eat and pay his bills.

But, he's got an entire staff of people that he brought in and relocated, and they would be affected. That includes significant others, kids, the whole nine. That's got to weigh heavily on him.

Pantherstang84

I haven't seen that many fastballs coming from the Astros bullpen. Good on the Houston press corps. They were bringin da heat! :evilb:

Someone must have hidden the :koolaid: pitcher.

wagonhed
11-22-2010, 03:56 PM
I would have followed it up with this "What did you tell your players in the locker room after that loss? What was the mood? Are there any players that you can see, after a loss like that, who are addressing the team and trying to keep them all focused, to exhibit leadership? How do you re-focus them after that loss?"

Just pound him with inside fastballs, one right after another, until he freaking explodes and goes Dennis Green out there.
Yeah except what you just said isn't a fastball at all. It's a typical makes-no-sense press conference question.

Ole Miss Texan
11-22-2010, 03:57 PM
LOL! "Oh-and fourteen?? Whaa?? I don't think that's right.

Alot of that going around Kubes. :foottap:

Actually I was looking up the "stat" that the TV posted about that and it's EXTREMELY deceiving. I only got through the first 4 games but I'll go back tonight and make a new thread about it.

We've scored within the final 2 minutes but I think the stat the TV/this reporter was references was talking about the START of the drive being under 2 minutes AND us not scoring. There are several instances where we got the ball late in the half/game and were winning and wanted to run out the clock. lol - but that counts as a no score.

The basis of what we want to look at in that reference is there, it seems we've been unable to move the ball... but it is VERY misleading.

wagonhed
You know, I actually believe him. I don't think he worries about his job at all. If he's fired, he's fired. He will still eat and pay his bills.

But, he's got an entire staff of people that he brought in and relocated, and they would be affected. That includes significant others, kids, the whole nine. That's got to weigh heavily on him.
Maybe he should of thought about that before hiring all his buddies, instead of the ones best suited for the job.

Cjeremy635
McGobbler told him about the breakdown of the long play at the end of the game that Dungy broke down last night on Football Night in America. Gobbler told him that they said he was in the wrong position and that he should have never given up the outside. Kubiak said he had no idea about the show, but he said that he was in the right coverage. He said he was supposed to be playing the inside.....which is fukin' retarded! Why give up the outside? That statement right there just solidified that he has no idea what he's doing!

Showtime100
11-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Yeah except what you just said isn't a fastball at all. It's a typical makes-no-sense press conference question.

In that case I thought his answers were spot-on. :headhurts:

GP
11-22-2010, 03:59 PM

Well, you can't just sit there and RANT on Kubiak like we do. They are JOURNALISTS, wagonhed. They have to phrase it in the form of a question, and you can't very well present a question that is obviously NOT a question.

You have to work the pitch count.

Or you get your press pass revoked.

I want to see someone who has a nasty splitter, someone like Richard Justice, who could pepper Kubiak with a series of questions that just makes Kubiak flip his wig. I think Justice could do it. He's evil like that. And he loves being the bad guy.

silvrhand
11-22-2010, 04:01 PM

Transcript anyone?

Ole Miss Texan
Yeah, I was doing the hurry-up paraphrase...lol.

Just trying to relay some more info, it was going really quick. I agree too about believing him. I think he's a guy that REALLY REALLY cares for his players, his staff and his coaches. I think he worries a lot about those guys getting injured, cut, fired, etc. I think you've hit one of the reasons why McNair/Kubiak don't believe in "change for the sake of change" and that's the bolded. But I do have this feeling that there could be some changing that happens sometime in the nearish future.

wagonhed
The only questions that matter to me are the ones that get real answers. I don't give a **** what Gary is doing to re-focus the team. I don't even know what that means. I want to know what actual changes he is going to make, scheme, coaching, players, and how he expects to fix our problems.

Of course, I know he doesn't have any answers to those things, so to be honest press conferences are kinda pointless. There is nothing I can learn from listening to Kubes in a presser that I don't already know after watching him for 5 years.