PDA

View Full Version : New Coach?

BorrowMe
11-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Let's say we don't make the playoffs this season because of Kubiak. Who can we seriously consider taking over as the new head coach of the Texans?

thunderkyss
11-02-2010, 09:37 AM
I like Leslie Frazier (sp)

hobie
11-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Let's say we don't make the playoffs this season because of Kubiak. Who can we seriously consider taking over as the new head coach of the Texans?

Texan_Bill !!

V Man
11-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Buddy Ryan:cutthroat:

JWarren14
11-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Well anybody will do.

Averaging more yards per carry than Colts averaged per pass yet we run it only 18 times and pass it 38.

Maybe the best Madden player in the world?

HOU-TEX
11-02-2010, 09:55 AM
I like Leslie Frazier (sp)

Would we really want to take another chance on a first time HC? I doubt it. Hopefully we can learn from past mistakes

drewmar74
11-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Would we really want to take another chance on a first time HC? I doubt it. Hopefully we can learn from past mistakes

Agreed.

If McNair fires Pubiak, I'd like to see a head coach with a proven track record who runs a 4-3 D.

Ryan
11-02-2010, 10:05 AM
the 4-3 hasn't worked out for us so well up to this point, as we still suck on that side of the ball. if we could get a great coach like a Cowher-type that works with a 3-4, it would be worth the risk

Mistasofly
11-02-2010, 10:06 AM
I kinda like Rob Ryan. Rex's brother, defensive coordinator for the browns.

drewmar74
11-02-2010, 10:08 AM
the 4-3 hasn't worked out for us so well up to this point, as we still suck on that side of the ball. if we could get a great coach like a Cowher-type that works with a 3-4, it would be worth the risk

We don't have the folks to run the scheme. You'll have to blow up a lot of the roster.

Yankee_In_TX
11-02-2010, 10:09 AM

...and how did the 3-4 work for us?

Double Barrel
11-02-2010, 10:13 AM
The Chin

chicagotexan2
11-02-2010, 10:13 AM
We don't have the folks to run the scheme. You'll have to blow up a lot of the roster.

We don't have the folks to run this scheme. Unless the schemes goal is allow the opposing offense to tire out after running and running for all these yards against us.

Dutchrudder
11-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Keeping with the Aggie coaches... RC Slocum!

drewmar74
11-02-2010, 10:14 AM
We don't have the folks to run this scheme. Unless the schemes goal is allow the opposing offense to tire out after running and running for all these yards against us.

I disagree.

If that is the scheme then our players fit it to perfection.

I really do think you could take another coach with this talent and do more with it.

chicagotexan2
11-02-2010, 10:23 AM
I disagree.

If that is the scheme then our players fit it to perfection.

I really do think you could take another coach with this talent and do more with it.

I have always been pro Kubiak, but after last night I am no longer on board. Unless he somehow manages to get this team to the playoffs (insert Jim Mora's 'Playoffs??' quote here) Kubiak has to go. And Richard Smith must go too.

thunderkyss
11-02-2010, 10:38 AM

I thought we went with a coach experienced in getting an expansion team to a fast start already, & that didn't work well either.

We're rolling the dice either way..... I personally don't see anything out there with the upside of someone like Frazier.

But that's me. Can't live in the past.

nero THE zero
11-02-2010, 10:39 AM
I really couldn't care less about defensive scheme. 3-4, 4-3, 46, who cares? Just get someone in here that can field a competent defense while not compromising our offense.

Bill Cowher
Jon Gruden
Tony Dungy

Perry Fewell
Jim Harbaugh
Leslie Frazier
Sean McDermott

I would also entertain the idea of bringing Parcells in as a consultant, though his past two stops haven't necessarily resulted in anything better than what we have.

kiwitexansfan
11-02-2010, 10:45 AM

You say this like a bad thing?

Who on defense is worth keeping? Mario, Smith, Cushing and Ryans?

They can all play in the 3-4

painekiller
11-02-2010, 10:57 AM
I really couldn't care less about defensive scheme. 3-4, 4-3, 46, who cares? Just get someone in here that can field a competent defense while not compromising our offense.

Bill Cowher
Jon Gruden
Tony Dungy

Perry Fewell
Jim Harbaugh
Leslie Frazier
Sean McDermott

I would also entertain the idea of bringing Parcells in as a consultant, though his past two stops haven't necessarily resulted in anything better than what we have.

I would throw the name Chuck Cecil DC for the Titans in the mix.

kiwitexansfan
11-02-2010, 11:04 AM

I'm not in total agreement with the don't compromise the offense thing.

I think we lack offensive identity and don't use our admittedly very good pieces in a very effective way.

drewmar74
11-02-2010, 11:07 AM
You say this like a bad thing?

Who on defense is worth keeping? Mario, Smith, Cushing and Ryans?

They can all play in the 3-4

My name is drewmar74 and wholesale change scares me.

There. I said it. It's out there.

nero THE zero
11-02-2010, 11:09 AM
I'm not in total agreement with the don't compromise the offense thing.

I think we lack offensive identity and don't use our admittedly very good pieces in a very effective way.

We're top 10 in total points, points per game, total yards, and rushing yards.

I'd rather that not be compromised (which is not to say it couldn't be improved upon.)

Lest we not forget the Chris Palmer era Houston Texans.

Mr. White
11-02-2010, 11:16 AM
I think Brian Schottenheimer from the Jets is ready for a HC job. I also trust him to bring a competent DC with him.

kiwitexansfan
11-02-2010, 11:17 AM

I'd rather that not be compromised (which is not to say it couldn't be improved upon.)

Lets not forget what Palmer was working with when he was here.

With the elite talent the Texans have on offense, I think we could produce in almost any offensive system.

gary
11-02-2010, 11:18 AM
I would like Cowher or Dungy.

jshabang
11-02-2010, 11:27 AM
yall can quit all the chin cowher talk.......Jerry jones has him in his sights....and cowher has the girls on his radar

sure as my name is jay the second jones fires wade........cowher is gettin that position

perfect fit....stars players in place....3-4 already in place.....jones wallet wit plenty benjamins in place....all checks

so with that being said sean mcdermott, leslie frazier, brian schottemheimer all are way overdue and more than qualified to take a head coaching position

Ranger Tom
11-02-2010, 11:28 AM
I would like Cowher or Dungy.

As long as we're on that level of probability, I would like a supermodel girlfriend.

2slik4u
11-02-2010, 11:33 AM
I have always been pro Kubiak, but after last night I am no longer on board. Unless he somehow manages to get this team to the playoffs (insert Jim Mora's 'Playoffs??' quote here) Kubiak has to go. And Richard Smith must go too.

This. I am in the same boat as you. I have always been a Kubiak supporter but last nights display of him not being able to change his gameplan to something every member on this board was saying, thats a huge sign of not progressing as a coach.

The only way he keeps me on his side is if he/WE make the playoffs. If an early and embarrasing exit comes in the first round, Im still calling for the axe to be dropped.

Im not as pissed with what Smith has done. If he can truly seperate himself and work well with another coach then Id like to see him stay.

Other than that, its a GOOD playoff run or Kubiaks ass.

BattleRedToro
11-02-2010, 11:33 AM

Tony Dungy would be a perfect fit. He runs a derivative of the 4-3 defense that most if not all of our players could play in, and I dare say would excel in. In addition he is extremely competent as a Head Coach. In other words, no more poor clock management, no more refusal to take advantage of an opponent's weakness because he thinks he can out smart them, etc. Basically, no more Kubiak.

2slik4u
11-02-2010, 11:34 AM
As long as we're on that level of probability, I would like a supermodel girlfriend.

Hell......I would like a 150 class buck to walk into my sights this Saturday morning.

This is fun. :)

supersid
11-02-2010, 11:38 AM
GREG WILLIAMS...New Orleans defensive Cor. he could turn this group into a team to be feared.

kiwitexansfan
11-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Now, lets think back, Smith was brought in because Kubiak wanted him right?

How about we don't do things ass backwards again and get a GM who can choose a coach?

I'd be happy to keep Smith, I like what he has done, how about we let him choose a coach....

2slik4u
11-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Tony Dungy would be a perfect fit. He runs a derivative of the 4-3 defense that most if not all of our players could play in, and I dare say would excel in. In addition he is extremely competent as a Head Coach. In other words, no more poor clock management, no more refusal to take advantage of an opponent's weakness because he thinks he can out smart them, etc. Basically, no more Kubiak.

I cannot see Dungy, a Indy Colt ex head coach and division rival, who by the way just had his name put up in the Colts ring of honor yesterday ever sign as our head coach.

Im willing to bet a dollar that if his name is put into the mix this off season by the media, that he personally comes out and says he will not be our head coach.

Not gonna happen unfortunately.

On another note, Dungy was successful because he was graced with Peyton Manning. It is a widely known fact that Peyton damn near called all of the offensive plays and changed what he wanted at his own will. Im not saying Dungy isnt a good head coach......but how good can he be somewhere else?

Did he have much success in Tampa? Cant remember if he was there when they had their good run of fortune.

2slik4u
11-02-2010, 11:41 AM
GREG WILLIAMS...New Orleans defensive Cor. he could turn this group into a team to be feared.

Love it. Then again, its that whole "first time being head coach thingy" that makes me apprehensive.....

nero THE zero

More unlikely that Kubiak gets fired than Kubiak getting fired and Cowher replacing him, IMO.

kiwitexansfan

Ok DC, bad HC.

He's the defensive Kubiak.

2slik4u
11-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Ok DC, bad HC.

He's the defensive Kubiak.

Has Gregg Williams been a HC somewhere?

nero THE zero
11-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Did he have much success in Tampa? Cant remember if he was there when they had their good run of fortune.

Via Wiki:
In 1997, the Buccaneers finished second in the NFC Central division, Tampa Bay's first winning season since 1982 after starting the season 5-0 matching the only time the Bucs were ever undefeated with as many wins in the 1979 season. In the last game played at Tampa Stadium, the Bucs defeated the Detroit Lions in their first playoff game, losing the next game to the defending champion Green Bay Packers.

Under Dungy's watch, the Buccaneers made four playoff appearances and won their division in 1999 only to lose to the St. Louis Rams in the NFC Championship Game. However, Tampa Bay under Dungy struggled to reach the playoffs in 1998. They went on to reach the playoffs again in 1999, 2000 and 2001. Also, in his last three playoff games, Tampa Bay was offensively shut out. Constant changes to the offensive coordinator position despite a successful 2000 offensive ranking were often to blame, as QB Shaun King had to work with 3 different coordinators in 3 years. Dungy was fired by the team on January 14, 2002 due to the club's repeated losses in the playoffs including two lopsided defeats (in 2000 and 2001) to the Philadelphia Eagles; and because it was determined by the team's higher management that the conservative offense that Dungy ran was too inconsistent against NFL teams. The following year, the Buccaneers defeated the favored Philadelphia Eagles in the 2002 NFC Championship game under coach Jon Gruden, using Dungy's defense and the roster he built, en route to the club's first Super Bowl appearance and victory.

kiwitexansfan
11-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Love it. Then again, its that whole "first time being head coach thingy" that makes me apprehensive.....

He coached the Bills. Badly.

beerlover
11-02-2010, 11:53 AM
bring Vinny out of retirement :handshake:

Double Barrel
11-02-2010, 12:05 PM
yall can quit all the chin cowher talk.......Jerry jones has him in his sights....and cowher has the girls on his radar

sure as my name is jay the second jones fires wade........cowher is gettin that position

perfect fit....stars players in place....3-4 already in place.....jones wallet wit plenty benjamins in place....all checks

so with that being said sean mcdermott, leslie frazier, brian schottemheimer all are way overdue and more than qualified to take a head coaching position

Cowher would never work for such a meddling owner like Jerrah. And Jerrah has clearly shown that he's not going to give up his power with his team to a strong minded head coach.

So you can quit the Cowher is going to the Cowboys talk. It's just not going to happen. Jason Garrett is going to be Dallas' next HC.

BattleRedToro
11-02-2010, 12:06 PM
On another note, Dungy was successful because he was graced with Peyton Manning. It is a widely known fact that Peyton damn near called all of the offensive plays and changed what he wanted at his own will. Im not saying Dungy isnt a good head coach......but how good can he be somewhere else?

Don't discount Tom Moore's impact on Peyton Manning's development and continued success. It was Moore who installed the Colts offensive system and it was Moore who taught it to Peyton Manning.

In case you are wondering Moore was leftover from Jim Mora's staff when Dungy was hired. What is significant about that, you might ask? It shows that Dungy is willing to leave in place an offense that is working and concentrate on fixing the other areas of the team that are not.

Could he do the same with the Texans? I don't see why not. He could keep Dennison as the Offensive Coordinator, and have him run the same offense, minus some of the bonehead playcalling.

BattleRedToro
11-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Cowher would never work for such a meddling owner like Jerrah. And Jerrah has clearly shown that he's not going to give up his power with his team to a strong minded head coach.

So you can quit the Cowher is going to the Cowboys talk. It's just not going to happen. Jason Garrett is going to be Dallas' next HC.

For some reason I think Jon Gruden will be their next Head Coach.

gary
11-02-2010, 12:17 PM
I am done with Gary and his staff thus have been for two seasons now.

TEXANRED
11-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Wade Phillips

gary
11-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Wade Phillips
For the new D cord.

BigBull17

Yeah, the front seven(or whole defense) is bad enough that you would have to over haul most of the D anyways.

hradhak
For some reason I think John Gruden will be their next Head Coach.

Gruden looks pretty content with his cushy gig on MNF. I can't imagine him coming out now, especially to Dallas where he'd be Jones' puppet. I'm not sure who Dallas' next coach will be, but I think Dallas will make a move to a coach with an offensive background.

hradhak
11-02-2010, 12:24 PM
The problem with switching to a 3-4 defense is it is extremely difficult to find the prototypical guys for that system. Especially with so many teams switching to it, the draft gets thinner and thinner for a 3-4 nose tackle.

Mike Tomlin was a 4-3 coach (and a D coordinator) and he made the mental switch to 3-4. I don't think it is that much of a philosophical switch if the coordinator / coach is an intelligent football analyst, but the personnel are really hard to come by.

On the flip side, now that most teams are switching to a 3-4, 4-3 personnel become easier to find in the later rounds.

BigBull17
11-02-2010, 12:27 PM
I cannot see Dungy, a Indy Colt ex head coach and division rival, who by the way just had his name put up in the Colts ring of honor yesterday ever sign as our head coach.

Im willing to bet a dollar that if his name is put into the mix this off season by the media, that he personally comes out and says he will not be our head coach.

Guys coach for other teams all the time. A job is a job. I think Dungy would love to coach vs his pupil.

2slik4u
11-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Don't discount Tom Moore's impact on Peyton Manning's development and continued success. It was Moore who installed the Colts offensive system and it was Moore who taught it to Peyton Manning.

In case you are wondering Moore was leftover from Jim Mora's staff when Dungy was hired. What is significant about that, you might ask? It shows that Dungy is willing to leave in place an offense that is working and concentrate on fixing the other areas of the team that are not.

Could he do the same with the Texans? I don't see why not. He could keep Dennison as the Offensive Coordinator, and have him run the same offense, minus some of the bonehead playcalling.

Assuming you are 100% correct in the way that happened, that is a great point. I DO think we would be better off with an experienced HC like Dungy, just wasnt sure exactly how much of his success was his doing or Peytons.

Nevertheless, I would love for Dungy to come to Houston.....just dont see it happening.

2slik4u
11-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Guys coach for other teams all the time. A job is a job. I think Dungy would love to coach vs his pupil.

Thats assuming hes even wanting to get back into coaching. I just dont think Dungy is the type of guy to go and slap the Colts in the face like that.

Say what you want about "a job being a job" but Dungy is a man of principal and I seriously doubt he would ever do that to his beloved Colts.

I could be wrong.......hopefully he proves me wrong and shows some interest in us.

Hookem Horns
11-02-2010, 12:38 PM

I heard Cowher's 2 most coveted jobs were the Giants and Texans jobs. The Giants for obvious reasons and the Texans because of the talent that is stockpiled here. Supposedly he told someone that he felt he could come here and start winning right out the gate. I guess you can throw Carolina in the mix since he is from that area.

Unless the Giants collapse again like they did last year Coughlin isn't going anywhere so scratch them. I agree with DB on the Cowboys. I have heard more than once that Cowher would never go there because of the circus that is Jerrah. That leaves the Panthers and Texans. The Panthers job will be available and probably offered to him. They have no where near the talent the Texans have and he would be rebuilding that team.

As for the Texans I don't see it happening. Bob McNair has the bad habit of seeing the obvious about a good season or two after every fan (even the last hold outs) sees it. I think of GP with David Carr, once GP (who was huge DC fanboy) started admitting David Carr had to go we knew that every fan (outside of Hulk75) was on board with dumping Carr. However it still took Bob McNair another season to see the light. So with all of that in mind I bet he holds onto Kubina a season or two too long. Hence Cowher getting picked up by someone else in the meantime.

BattleRedToro
11-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Gruden looks pretty content with his cushy gig on MNF. I can't imagine him coming out now, especially to Dallas where he'd be Jones' puppet. I'm not sure who Dallas' next coach will be, but I think Dallas will make a move to a coach with an offensive background.

I'm sure he enjoys his current job but I doubt he has lost that fire in his belly that got him into coaching in the first place. I would be shocked if he doesn't return to coaching. By the way, Gruden is an offensive minded coach.

Thorn
11-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Wade Phillips as head coach! That way we wouldn’t have to ruin our perfectly good futility streak. LOL

GP
11-02-2010, 03:12 PM
I think of GP with David Carr, once GP (who was huge DC fanboy) started admitting David Carr had to go we knew that every fan (outside of Hulk75) was on board with dumping Carr. However it still took Bob McNair another season to see the light. So with all of that in mind I bet he holds onto Kubina a season or two too long. Hence Cowher getting picked up by someone else in the meantime.

:(

For the record...

I was open to letting Kubiak try and help Carr, because I wondered if he had been coached improperly or if it was a really bad offense scheme that was part of the problem, as well.

I admit that David, pre-Kubiak, was spiraling downward and getting worse every year, but my stance was that I wanted to see if he could find a way to change.

I think it was about week 3 of Carr's last season that I admitted he was severely broken...and that it wasn't the fault of anybody but David himself. I don't think I clung to the guy's jock strap as much as you're portraying. I just didn't want us to be hasty in cutting him right from the start. At the very least, try to salvage him enough to get a trade for him.

Oh well. I was one of the few people on here who said the Ahman Green signing, from the VERY DAY it was announced, was a horrible foolish decision that wouldn't make us any better. I got slammed for saying that, and I was proven right.

Plus, you guys gotta' admit that I was one of the first on here to say that Kubiak was done. I was anti-Schaub and anti-Kubiak at about week 4 of the first Schaub season. I got roasted for that take, as well. I backed off and toned it down, saying that maybe Kubiak could pull it off. Maybe he could be Houdini and escape the chains and straightjacket and pull a rabbit out of his hat with the team he assembled. But clearly, it's not going to happen.

McMoney doesn't care about football decisions. He's an investment guy. Buy it, hold it, make small moves and claim a victory here and there. I'm much more prone to making sweeping moves than he is. I think David Carr might be THE only player or Texans member whom I said that we needed to slow down and make sure we try every angle before cutting him loose.

Plus, I don't live in Houston...so I wasn't exposed to Carr's daily goof-ups and his daily life like you guys are. You guys get more of that news coverage than I do. So I was shielded from a lot of things. For instance, I don't think I knew about his famous "at home film studying sessions" until after he was gone. Once that stuff started trickling out, I began to see why he was a failure.

Man, you really singled me out there. I feel slimy now. LOL. Oh well. I rung JoeTexan up pretty good today. I can take my lumps, too.

HuttoKarl
11-02-2010, 03:38 PM

Can I get a bass boat and a sweet truck to tow it with?

IlliniJen
11-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Please see my new avatar for my preference of new HC.

RagingBull
11-02-2010, 03:52 PM
I say we offer Peyton Manning to be head coach/QB. Kill three birds with one stone. He can be coach, QB and we don't have to play him anymore.

GuerillaBlack
11-02-2010, 03:59 PM

Dallas will probably get John Fox, who may be gone from Carolina after this season. I hope the Texans go after someone like Brian Schottenheimer. I think getting Cowher is a dream that will most likely not happen.

VTexan
11-02-2010, 04:09 PM

Yeah stockpiling Dallas with mounds and mounds of talent wasn't very wise. And making a 1-15 Miami team a playoff team the next year and an extremely competitive squad for the next two years sucked too. :boogereater:

Hervoyel
11-02-2010, 04:10 PM
The problem with switching to a 3-4 defense is it is extremely difficult to find the prototypical guys for that system. Especially with so many teams switching to it, the draft gets thinner and thinner for a 3-4 nose tackle.

Mike Tomlin was a 4-3 coach (and a D coordinator) and he made the mental switch to 3-4. I don't think it is that much of a philosophical switch if the coordinator / coach is an intelligent football analyst, but the personnel are really hard to come by.

On the flip side, now that most teams are switching to a 3-4, 4-3 personnel become easier to find in the later rounds.

You know, the guys who are truly great at this never seem to run into the problem of finding the parts they need.

I know that sounds trite but it's true. If you're going to rebuild a football team you do it right and you start with a head coach. He's the leader and it's his vision that you're going to follow. If that man wants to run a 4-3 or a 3-4 you put the coach and the coordinators in place and then adapt the talent you have to that. If you need pieces you go find them but you don't take a defense like ours and then go out and find a coach who does our thing.

You get the man and then build the unit.

Say that you have to blow the whole thing up and start over. Who's so special they can't be replaced on this defense? The transition to a 3-4 isn't the ordeal it's being made out to be. We transitioned from a 3-4 to a 4-3 without anyone gnashing their teeth and pulling their hair out.

We might be a bad 3-4 at first but big deal. We've been a bad 4-3 for 5 years and nobody seems to be able to fix that.

At least a bad 3-4 under somebody else has the prospect of getting better. I know this 4-3 under Kubiak's DC (Defensive Clown) isn't getting any better.

Good coaches don't take 4-5 years to establish basic functionality in a defense.

DX-TEX
11-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Cowher isnt coming here or going to Carolina. IF McNair dumps Kubiak, Smith isnt going anywhere. Cowher wants his own front office people so aint happening. He isnt going to Carolina anymore because the only reason he considered it was his daughters, who are now in college and his sick wife who recently passed away.

Gruden will come back and wind up in Dallas. He will kiss Jones's ass and they will be best buds.

Dungy doesnt want to coach anymore.

Chuck Cecil? REALLY?

My two candidates that McNair would look at: Marvin Lewis or Lovie Smith. Both of whom will be fired after the season.

All IMO of course.

otisbean
11-02-2010, 04:32 PM
I would be shocked if Gruden coached the boys, I would think he's had his fill with meddlesome owners after working for Davis. And Gruden is anything but a butt kisser.

I'm not sure who I'd want, but it may well be time for some new blood.

CretorFrigg
11-02-2010, 04:35 PM
The first coach we should replace is Frank Bush.

The defensive schemes he's running are so simple and rudimentary that even I'm usually able to predict what he's going to do — nevermind Peyton Manning, an all-pro quarterback.

It seems like during the Colt's game, Bush was keen on executing a cover-2, man defense.

kiwitexansfan
11-02-2010, 04:36 PM
My two candidates that McNair would look at: Marvin Lewis or Lovie Smith. Both of whom will be fired after the season.

All IMO of course.

Lewis goes in the great DC can't HC box, Lovie Smith I might look at though.

Dutchrudder
11-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Please see my new avatar for my preference of new HC.

Ditka?

:D

Double Barrel
This was just a year ago:

NFL Network: Source says Bears, Texans 'would excite' Cowher (http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/11/nfl-network-source-says-bears-texans-would-excite-cowher.html)

McNair has deep pockets, so money is not a problem. And if he really wants to win and pump up this fanbase, he should pull the trigger in January 2011.

houstonspartan
Dallas will probably get John Fox, who may be gone from Carolina after this season. I hope the Texans go after someone like Brian Schottenheimer. I think getting Cowher is a dream that will most likely not happen.

I firmly believe Bill Cowher wants this team. If he asks for it, he'll get it.

DX-TEX
11-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Lewis goes in the great DC can't HC box, Lovie Smith I might look at though.

Wouldnt be my choice, just kowing McNair this is what he would look at. I honestly have no idea who I owuld want.

When is Fishers contract in Tennessee up?

kiwitexansfan
11-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Wouldnt be my choice, just kowing McNair this is what he would look at. I honestly have no idea who I owuld want.

When is Fishers contract in Tennessee up?

They aren't letting Fisher go till Fisher wants out.

Norg
11-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Is Kubes really on the hot seat ????????????

Depending on how this season goes i think he is

this next game is BIG !!! we simply cant go 4-4 and lose at home again

but i really cant say intill the season is over

how he does in the divison how he does in the MNF game with the ravens all this plays into it

DX-TEX
11-02-2010, 05:02 PM
They aren't letting Fisher go till Fisher wants out.

It would just be an awesome PR move for McNair and rightfully piss off Tacks fans and Adams. Dreamworld but meh....so are the chances of the Texans being a dominant team this year.

GuerillaBlack
11-02-2010, 05:06 PM
I firmly believe Bill Cowher wants this team. If he asks for it, he'll get it.

I want to believe it so bad, but I doubt McNair will even fire Kubiak to open up that door to make it happen. McNair will probably give Kubiak another year, even if the Texans win two more games the rest of the season. If we had Cowher this season, we'd have no more than one loss. Cowher coached teams don't come out flat, and Cowher doesn't try to "outsmart" the other coach. He goes with what works. Foster would have had 25 carries last night and Ward would have had a good six to seven under Cowher.

Grams
11-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Just fire Kubiak and hire Cowher. He is not coaching anywhere so he should be available to start immediately.

Norg
11-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Carolina is on the top of BIlls list if he was to come back not Houston

CretorFrigg
11-02-2010, 05:11 PM
I want to believe it so bad, but I doubt McNair will even fire Kubiak to open up that door to make it happen. McNair will probably give Kubiak another year, even if the Texans win two more games the rest of the season. If we had Cowher this season, we'd have no more than one loss. Cowher coached teams don't come out flat, and Cowher doesn't try to "outsmart" the other coach. He goes with what works. Foster would have had 25 carries last night and Ward would have had a good six to seven under Cowher.

How many times have we said that though? Kubiak consistently makes decisions that have you scratching your head (such as hiring Frank Bush as the d-coordinator).

Oh, and it's not fair to exclusively place the blame on Kubiak. Let's also give it up for Rick Smith! A guy who makes things happen via the draft. :sarcasm:

GuerillaBlack
11-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Carolina is on the top of BIlls list if he was to come back not Houston

Nope. Houston is on the list, too: http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/11/nfl-network-source-says-bears-texans-would-excite-cowher.html

Double Barrel
11-02-2010, 05:26 PM

That's the thing, build a solid defense that displays consistently sound fundamentals and a ball control offense. It's a simple formula, but one that is the exact opposite of how this team is built right now.

If McNair wants a team that can dominate this division, he needs a team that punches other teams in the mouth. A team that will get after Manning after they stuff the run, and then put the ball in RBs hands 30+ times the game to control the clock.

Texecutioner
11-02-2010, 05:28 PM
...and how did the 3-4 work for us?

Why would you bring up how the 3-4 worked for us many years ago under a completely different coach and a whole different set of players? That history has nothing to do with anything. There are a ton of teams that are successful with the 3-4. You either have a good coordinator running it with good players who can execute or you don't. What happened with Capers doesn't indicate a thing.

GuerillaBlack
11-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Why would you bring up how the 3-4 worked for us many years ago under a completely different coach and a whole different set of players? That history has nothing to do with anything. There are a ton of teams that are successful with the 3-4. You either have a good coordinator running it with good players who can execute or you don't. What happened with Capers doesn't indicate a thing.

Besides, before all the injuries, Green Bay's 3-4 wasn't bad.

Texan4Ever
11-02-2010, 06:11 PM
IMO, running a 3-4 defense takes time unless if we can land the pieces by trading some valuable assets that we have (Mario Williams?) Sticking to the 4-3 defense makes more sense since we can easily get guys to play in a 4-3 rather than a 3-4.

As for coaches, how about Jon Gruden? Sure, he yells alot...but that's what we need. He will light a fire in every players ass that would make our team player better and weed the ones that are a liability out.

Gruden has won a Super Bowl and is also known for fielding good defenses. Not sure about our offense (who's are coordinator anyways?) but I think Gruden is a good fit.

b0ng
11-02-2010, 06:31 PM
I'd say Leslie Frasier. I think Cowher is holding out for a job with a team that isn't in Houston (I've heard NYG mentioned before but I have never read anything concrete about it).

I'll still be fairly shocked if Kubiak is fired January 2011.

thunderkyss
11-02-2010, 06:39 PM
:(
I think it was about week 3 of Carr's last season that I admitted he was severely broken...and that it wasn't the fault of anybody but David himself. I don't think I clung to the guy's jock strap as much as you're portraying. I just didn't want us to be hasty in cutting him right from the start. At the very least, try to salvage him enough to get a trade for him.

My opinion, one of the reasons this team is one year behind schedule.

thunderkyss
11-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Good coaches don't take 4-5 years to establish basic functionality in a defense.

How long did it take Payton?

GuerillaBlack
11-02-2010, 06:43 PM
I'd say Leslie Frasier. I think Cowher is holding out for a job with a team that isn't in Houston (I've heard NYG mentioned before but I have never read anything concrete about it).

Only way he goes to NYG is if Coughlin is fired, which doesn't look likely so far. The other three teams that Cowher has been rumored to have interest in are the Bears, Panthers, and yes, the Texans.

DexmanC
11-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Only way he goes to NYG is if Coughlin is fired, which doesn't look likely so far. The other three teams that Cowher has been rumored to have interest in are the Bears, Panthers, and yes, the Texans.

Doesn't look like Lovie's going anywhere. He's got a great defense, and
an erratic QB.

drs23
11-02-2010, 07:08 PM

I agree here simply because the threat of a work stoppage is looming larger. I don't see any major moves by any team happening until it's settled. JMO

CretorFrigg
11-02-2010, 07:13 PM
I agree here simply because the threat of a work stoppage is looming larger. I don't see any major moves by any team happening until it's settled. JMO

Well, I think Kubiak's job security next year will be contingent on who is available on the market.

Wolf
11-02-2010, 07:16 PM
I don't know.. Bob wasn't shy about getting Casserly and Capers in early for the Texans to get to work

just saying I would think Bob would get a coach in here early if he is going to make a move

DerekLee1
11-02-2010, 07:31 PM

Misconception. We could make the transition in a single offseason.

Texan4Ever
11-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Misconception. We could make the transition in a single offseason.

Because I know we all LOVE to fanatasize about turning our team into a 3-4 team, lets derail for a bit and see who we have that could fit:

DE: Mario Williams - Has the size and physical ability to play the DE spot.

DE: Antonio Smith - Same as above.

OLB: Brian Cushing - Played the elephant position iirc at USC and can be an excellent pass rusher.

OLB: Conner Barwin - He could be converted into a good pass rushing LB.

All me need is a big Samoan or someone who looks like Fat Albert at NT and I think we have the makings of a 3-4 defense!

Hervoyel
11-02-2010, 07:42 PM

So do nothing to fix the problems we have because it might result in something bad?

Those are nice stats but they don't tell the full story of this first half of the season. In our losses we've been beaten soundly in every aspect of the game. Physical teams make us their ***** every time and that hasn't changed in 5 years.

Hagar
11-02-2010, 07:45 PM
IMO, running a 3-4 defense takes time unless if we can land the pieces by trading some valuable assets that we have (Mario Williams?) Sticking to the 4-3 defense makes more sense since we can easily get guys to play in a 4-3 rather than a 3-4.

Do we really have players that are so valuable that we can't change to the 3-4? Currently, our defense is 28th in total scoring, 32nd in passing, roughly, middle of the pack against the run. Since 2006, the Texans have spent the six of the eight total first & second round picks on Defense. What do we really have to show for it? Not much really.

Hervoyel
11-02-2010, 08:06 PM
That's what I can't get past Hagar. What are we holding on to here? It would be one thing if the current coaching staff had built anything, anything at all in the 4-3 formation but we suck. We suck tremendously. You look at what's there and there are a handful of players who are any good at all and those are coincidentally the same players who would be able to translate to a 3-4 with relative ease or carry enough trade value to help you get a player who could fit the 3-4.

thunderkyss
11-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Do we really have players that are so valuable that we can't change to the 3-4? Currently, our defense is 28th in total scoring, 32nd in passing, roughly, middle of the pack against the run. Since 2006, the Texans have spent the six of the eight total first & second round picks on Defense. What do we really have to show for it? Not much really.

We run plenty of 3-4 looks and are quite successful (relatively speaking) with it. Okoye, Antonio, and Mario can rotate at the DE position, Cody & shepherd at the Nt, Cushing & Mario can rush from the OLB spots, mix in Anderson in the rotation. Put Sharpton/Adibi at the other OLB spot, Bently & Demeco inside.

When Mario rushes from the OLB spot, move Cushing back into Bently's spot.

DexmanC
11-02-2010, 08:28 PM
That's what I can't get past Hagar. What are we holding on to here? It would be one thing if the current coaching staff had built anything, anything at all in the 4-3 formation but we suck. We suck tremendously. You look at what's there and there are a handful of players who are any good at all and those are coincidentally the same players who would be able to translate to a 3-4 with relative ease or carry enough trade value to help you get a player who could fit the 3-4.

The most important addition would be...

.....a defensive coordinator with a GOOD SCHEME! Pittsburgh builds
championship defense with mid-low level draft picks, and an EXCELLENT
SCHEME!

GP
11-02-2010, 08:42 PM

Not buying it.

We didn't have any talent on the rest of the team. It was Mario's first season, as well.

I don't think holding onto Carr for one more season hurt us.

Hell, Kubiak still can't overcome teams whose coaches stick to a gameplan and carry it out from start-to-finish.

Carr was a blessing in disguise for Kubiak, because it provided someone who was already walking around with a target on him. Everyone was focusing on how Carr would do, and could he make it or not. It actually BOUGHT Kubiak an extra year, rather than act as a detriment.

Without Carr there, Kubiak's exit might have been accelerated to 2010 instead of 2011. And who is to say that we grab Schaub if we had dumped Carr prior to Kubiak's first season? What if we had grabbed a Kerry Collins or a Trent Edwards-type of QB? Wow, let's stop and think how bad Kubiak's life would have been without at least having Schaub around...because we got him just a week or so before the Vick thing made the news, which means Atlanta would NOT have let go of Schaub for any amount of draft picks due to needing him as their starter.

Kubiak is just the coach version of Carr. Can't put it together. Says corny things. Great hair. But can't progress to the next level.

Hervoyel
11-02-2010, 08:49 PM

Payton fired his DC after 3 years and 8 days later hired Gregg Williams whose swarming, attacking defense helped them win a Superb Owl last season. No they were not statistically great. Yes they took the ball away and attacked the QB.

We hired Frank Bush and the results speak for themselves.

Hervoyel
11-02-2010, 08:51 PM

This team was born "one year behind schedule" and remains there to this day. We aren't catching up at this rate either.

We're glacial.

Wolf
11-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Payton fired his DC after 3 years and 8 days later hired Gregg Williams whose swarming, attacking defense helped them win a Superb Owl last season. No they were not statistically great. Yes they took the ball away and attacked the QB.

exactly

DexmanC
11-02-2010, 08:52 PM

They just got Darren Sharper back, and the Saints are back to
taking the ball away, just like they did last year.

Wolf
11-02-2010, 08:57 PM
This team was born "one year behind schedule" and remains there to this day. We aren't catching up at this rate either.

We're glacial.

one of these painted with a texan logo on the side and it would be in business
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSW60Hhx6rBwM14ExmoDYUKsw0FNdJFz 5Ca-j0i_Fh9wXTs4Pw&t=1&usg=__jPxQUvdRv8ksMVFnmt2R3H9GV8U=

someone needs to tell kubiak that when one keeps taking 4 left corners, the team is still going in a circles

nero THE zero
11-02-2010, 08:58 PM
So do nothing to fix the problems we have because it might result in something bad?

Uh? Where did I say that? I never said I didn't want to fix the defense, in fact, I specifically said the opposite of that:

Bill Cowher
Jon Gruden
Tony Dungy

Perry Fewell
Jim Harbaugh
Leslie Frazier
Sean McDermott

All I'm saying is that I want to be mindful of the talents we've acquired on the offensive side of the ball. I want to improve the defense without compromising the progress we've made on the offensive side of the ball.

Wolf
11-02-2010, 08:58 PM
They just got Darren Sharper back, and the Saints are back to
taking the ball away, just like they did last year.

Darren Sharper ???? the one that was a free agent a year or two ago :thinking:

:sarcasm:

:kingkong:

Hervoyel
11-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Darren Sharper ???? the one that was a free agent a year or two ago :thinking:

:kingkong:

We don't need him.

MFG16
11-02-2010, 09:24 PM
I think Brian Schottenheimer from the Jets is ready for a HC job. I also trust him to bring a competent DC with him.

This^^ I liked his coaching style from what i saw on hard knocks, and he's learning under rex. the only problem I can see with hiring a new coach, is the new coach would want control of whos on the team (as he should) and rick smith would be to stubborn to make any move he didnt think of or any move that would require a 1st-3rd rounder. Even if we get rid of kubes i dont think smith is going anywhere. Hopefully im wrong and Mcnair cleans house and Hires soemone who's defense isn't nicknamed bluebell, for being so vanilla.

We should atleast see a change at D Cord. at the end of the season.

Texan4Ever
11-02-2010, 10:04 PM

I understand what your're saying. My only concern is how quickly we can adapt to a 3-4 scheme (which we can also switch back and forth with the 4-3 or any other combo we like). This team needs to get into the playoffs badly and I don't want to push this back a few years because we installed a new defense.

Green Bay has done decent with its switch, maybe we should hire their DC?

IlliniJen
11-02-2010, 10:11 PM
We have a lot of talent on this team. But somehow the whole is not greater than the sum of its parts. And it drives me crazy. There's no reason that this team should consistently come out flat in each and every game, as if they've been sleepwalking the whole week and just remembered they have a game to play. There doesn't seem to be an adjustment or urgency to figure out how to address our consistent issues. I lay that at the feet of the coaches. I don't see anything that indicates that our problems are going to change anytime soon. We need new blood, because this team is just settling for whatever its getting, and I see no fire.

Texan4Ever
11-02-2010, 10:19 PM
We have a lot of talent on this team. But somehow the whole is not greater than the sum of its parts. And it drives me crazy. There's no reason that this team should consistently come out flat in each and every game, as if they've been sleepwalking the whole week and just remembered they have a game to play. There doesn't seem to be an adjustment or urgency to figure out how to address our consistent issues. I lay that at the feet of the coaches. I don't see anything that indicates that our problems are going to change anytime soon. We need new blood, because this team is just settling for whatever its getting, and I see no fire.

This reminds me. On 97.5 FM while coming back from school, some guy named Dukes who sounds like Michael Wilbon said that Kubiak is 1-6 in games after a bye week. He was also ticked about how the Texans didn't run the ball when that is one of our strengths this season.

J_R
11-02-2010, 10:24 PM
this reminds me. On 97.5 fm while coming back from school, some guy named dukes who sounds like michael wilbon said that kubiak is 1-4 in games after a bye week. He was also ticked about how the texans didn't run the ball when that is one of our strengths this season.

fify ;) Would hate for Kubiak to be credited with 2 extra losses.

texansdrummer
11-03-2010, 03:19 AM
Agreed.

If McNair fires Pubiak, I'd like to see a head coach with a proven track record who runs a 4-3 D.

Like Wade Phillips?

:wadepalm:

TEXANJAK
11-03-2010, 05:51 AM
Well lets look at it this way,many people was wanting bill cower for our coach at the beginning of this year.But how long was he a head coach before he got a Superbowl win.Gary Kubiak may be the same way.We will win a Superbowl in the next 10 years. Our offense is kick butt,so all we have to do is fix defense,And boom we will be in the Superbowl.

silvrhand
11-03-2010, 06:04 AM
Well lets look at it this way,many people was wanting bill cower for our coach at the beginning of this year.But how long was he a head coach before he got a Superbowl win.Gary Kubiak may be the same way.We will win a Superbowl in the next 10 years. Our offense is kick butt,so all we have to do is fix defense,And boom we will be in the Superbowl.

So you say our offense is lights out, but yet we played a defense that had a LOT of key players out that we could not score on? I'm sorry another sub par performance when we need our A game.

GuerillaBlack
11-03-2010, 06:28 AM

Better question: How long did it take Cowher to get to his FIRST Super Bowl. How many playoff games did Cowher WIN while the coach for the Steelers. When you find the answers to those questions, you will realize that Gary Kubiak is no where near Cowher's level.

thunderkyss
11-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Not buying it.

Without Carr there, Kubiak's exit might have been accelerated to 2010 instead of 2011.

I think we are saying the same thing.

thunderkyss
11-03-2010, 08:24 AM

4 years is 4 years.... it took Payton 4 freak'n years.

thunderkyss
11-03-2010, 08:28 AM
This^^ I liked his coaching style from what i saw on hard knocks, and he's learning under rex. the only problem I can see with hiring a new coach, is the new coach would want control of whos on the team (as he should) and rick smith would be to stubborn to make any move he didnt think of or any move that would require a 1st-3rd rounder. Even if we get rid of kubes i dont think smith is going anywhere. Hopefully im wrong and Mcnair cleans house and Hires soemone who's defense isn't nicknamed bluebell, for being so vanilla.

We should atleast see a change at D Cord. at the end of the season.

Where does this come from???? We gave up two 2s to get the QB we have now.

Mr. White
11-03-2010, 08:32 AM

4 years is 4 years.... it took Payton 4 freak'n years.

Payton's a bad example. He works on a different timetable. That guy got to the NFC Championship his first year in.

When it was obvious that the defense would prevent them from getting back, he handed over the keys to a guy that he knew could fix it.

Kubiak just promoted one of his buddies and hoped for the best.

TheCD
11-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Hopefully im wrong and Mcnair cleans house and Hires soemone who's defense isn't nicknamed bluebell, for being so vanilla.

Nice.

What do you guys think about Rob Ryan? I know some of you are against a change to a 3-4, but I don't know that much about him. The only thing I do know is that he's taking a very subpar/average Browns defense and having them perform very well.

At the very least, he made one of the best QB's in the league look like garbage. Have we ever been able to do that against any QB?

Of course Cowher is always a high priority, but who knows if he won't come out and do what Shanahan has been doing?

Hervoyel
11-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Payton's a bad example. He works on a different timetable. That guy got to the NFC Championship his first year in.

When it was obvious that the defense would prevent them from getting back, he handed over the keys to a guy that he knew could fix it.

Kubiak just promoted one of his buddies and hoped for the best.

This. How long did it take Kubiak to get to his first AFC Championship game? How long did it take Kubiak to post a 10-6 record?

When Kubiak produces something along those lines he'll earn the right to expect patience out of the fanbase. Payton walks in and turns a 3-13 team into a 10-6 team that reaches the NFC Championship game and that one season alone buys him a faith Kubiak has yet to earn.

They both started in 2006 and Gary is 35-36 in that time. Payton on the other hand is 43-29 with a ring. That's a big difference and that accounts for the amount of slack each one gets.

HuttoKarl
11-03-2010, 09:18 AM
This. How long did it take Kubiak to get to his first AFC Championship game? How long did it take Kubiak to post a 10-6 record?

When Kubiak produces something along those lines he'll earn the right to expect patience out of the fanbase. Payton walks in and turns a 3-13 team into a 10-6 team that reaches the NFC Championship game and that one season alone buys him a faith Kubiak has yet to earn.

They both started in 2006 and Gary is 35-36 in that time. Payton on the other hand is 43-29 with a ring. That's a big difference and that accounts for the amount of slack each one gets.

After the debacle Monday night, I'm about ready to grab that pink soap and join you. The "first 15" needs to go the hell away too.

Mr. White
11-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Just thought of another one.

I think that Jim Harbaugh's ready for the NFL now too.

Texan_Bill
11-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Texan_Bill !!

How did I not catch this???

Hellz yeah!!! I wouldn't last long though. Every time someone criticized me, I would make the world a better place and punch them in the face!! :D

hradhak
11-05-2010, 10:52 PM

Hellz yeah!!! I wouldn't last long though. Every time someone criticized me, I would make the world a better place and punch them in the face!! :D

Well that would be at least make this team a helluva lot tougher than what we put on the field now :bat:

thunderkyss
11-05-2010, 11:13 PM

Worked for Tom Cable.

BorrowMe
11-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Just thought of another one.

I think that Jim Harbaugh's ready for the NFL now too.

This.

This is the coach I want for the Texans.

Texan_Bill
11-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Worked for Tom Cable.

:spit: Right!!

Wolf6151
11-06-2010, 02:38 AM
Here's a new perspective to think about. I'm not a Kubiak defender by any means, I wanted him gone at the end of last season, but how much culpability does Bob McNair share with Kubiak in the lack of progress of this team. I wonder how much Bob McNair may have handcuffed Kubiak in his ability to choose and pay assistant coaches, and in picking and paying FA's. I get the feeling that Uncle Bob is happy with mediocrity as long as the stadium keeps selling out and a lower budget means a higher profit margin.

Wolf6151
11-06-2010, 02:52 AM
My short list would be:

Bill Cowher
John Gruden
Leslie Frazier
Possibly Ron Rivera the DC at San Diego, Jim Harbaugh, or Gregg Williams, but all of them make me a little nervous.

Sean McDermott is still a new DC, maybe in a few years.
Hell no to Wade Phillips in any role.

whiskeyrbl
11-06-2010, 07:19 AM
Gruden - HC
Kubiak - OC ( ass. HC)
Rob Ryan - DC

thunderkyss
11-06-2010, 07:40 AM
I wonder how much Bob McNair may have handcuffed Kubiak in his ability to choose and pay assistant coaches, and in picking and paying FA's. I get the feeling that Uncle Bob is happy with mediocrity as long as the stadium keeps selling out and a lower budget means a higher profit margin.

I never understood the McNair is cheap arguments. As much money as Casserly used to dump on FAs, I thought it was pretty clear the only way to get a FA here was to drastically overpay. Then after the Orlando Pace, Ernest Givens, & there was another one I can't remember where a mid-to-high level free agent went to another team for less money.

I thought we had learned our lesson, and will have to start winning before we get quality free agents.

awtysst
11-06-2010, 07:53 AM

If the guy you punched was named Kevin, all would be right in the world!

Scooter
11-06-2010, 08:07 AM
edit: drunk post

b0ng
11-06-2010, 08:58 AM

I don't know about any team, but I'm sure McNair is going to keep the status quo in 2011 unless we have epic failure in the next 8 or 7 games. I don't know why I have this feeling about the Texans, but I think the Kubiak extension points me in the direction of Bob giving him "Just one more year". This is why I wasn't in favor of the extension when it happened this offseason, because I really thought that he should at least do this year as though it was his last.

Now if Kubiak refuses to do anything about the horrific defense his underling has unleashed on the NFL, then maybe McNair might be forced to do something drastic. While I've steeled myself for another year of "It's on me", I don't want to be subjected to the Frank Bush esq., Battle Red Carpet Zone Defense. Where the corners give a 10 yard cushion on 3rd and 8. Where the DL is made up of a soft gooey inside. Where players look out of position and just generally confused on some downs. Where tight ends can romp and play anywhere on our field with no possibility of stopping them. That I am not prepared for.

steelbtexan
11-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Group A (The coaches I would really like to see McNair get.
1.Gruden
2.Cowher (Not gonna happen)
3.Billick

Group B
1.Fox
2.Rob Ryan
3.LeBeau
4. Harbaugh

painekiller
11-06-2010, 10:35 AM
With the pending lockout coming, very few teams will fire their coaches. How can a new coach install his system when the players are not here to learn the system.

John McClain discussed this on the radio the other day. The expected lockout will mean that OTA's and minicamps will not happen. Training camp and the season will be delayed without an agreement.

The owners are preparing for this now, and so they all know that replacing a coach means that no one on your team will have a clue what the new systems are when the lockout is over.

Brisco_County
11-06-2010, 12:27 PM
With the pending lockout coming, very few teams will fire their coaches. How can a new coach install his system when the players are not here to learn the system.

John McClain discussed this on the radio the other day. The expected lockout will mean that OTA's and minicamps will not happen. Training camp and the season will be delayed without an agreement.

The owners are preparing for this now, and so they all know that replacing a coach means that no one on your team will have a clue what the new systems are when the lockout is over.

This is true. That is why Kubiak will be here next year. If not for the lockout though, he would be gone.

I would like to see Cowher come here and keep Rick Smith as the GM.

steelbtexan
11-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Unless uncle BoB get his way there willbe know lockout. IMHO

The owners aren't going to leave a billion $$$$ on the table.

Kraft is a major power player in the NFL ownership scheme and he says he doesn't think there will be a lockout.

Do you think Jerrah will vote for a lockout when he just built a new billion $$$ stadium? I dont think so. The power payers as owners dont want a lockout. It's not in there best interest.

All of this lockout talk is just posturing from both sides. IMHO A deal will get done at the last minute.

ObsiWan
11-06-2010, 02:00 PM

Dungy turned a losing TB franchise around by building a solid defense. His offense was suspect. In my perfect imaginary world, he'd come in and be the head coach and kubiak would stay and call the plays.

ObsiWan
11-06-2010, 02:40 PM
My short list would be:

Bill Cowher
John Gruden
Leslie Frazier
Possibly Ron Rivera the DC at San Diego, Jim Harbaugh, or Gregg Williams, but all of them make me a little nervous.

Sean McDermott is still a new DC, maybe in a few years.
Hell no to Wade Phillips in any role.
In my little fantasy perfect world, Jimmy Johnson or Dick LeBeau would come in as head coach.

Jimmy Johnson because he's proven that he can build a super bowl quality squad in short order. We might have to trade off A.J. or Foster or Schaub to get some quality picks; we'll need them to rebuild.

Dick LeBeau because he's a defensive mastermind. Most of the success Cowher and Tomlin had was because they had LeBeau running the Steeler defense. All Cowher/Tomlin had to do was assemble a decent offense. The Steeler defense is what always keeps them in the hunt. I'm really surprised that in 7 pages of talk about replacement coaches his name hasn't been mentioned even once. yeah, I know he had a shot in Buffalo once, but they didn't have the offensive talent we do.

They're both experienced and have superbowl wins on their resumes'.

thoughts?

JB
11-06-2010, 02:43 PM
In my little fantasy perfect world, Jimmy Johnson or Dick LeBeau would come in as head coach.

Jimmy Johnson because he's proven that he can build a super bowl quality squad in short order. We might have to trade off A.J. or Foster or Schaub to get some quality picks; we'll need them to rebuild.

Dick LeBeau because he's a defensive mastermind. Most of the success Cowher (and Tomlin) had was because he had LeBeau running the Steeler defense. All Cowher had to do was assemble a decent offense.

I'm really surprised that in 7 pages of talk about replacement coaches his name hasn't been mentioned even once. yeah, I know he had a shot in Buffalo once, but they didn't have the offensive talent we do.

They're both experienced and have superbowl wins on their resumes'.

thoughts?

I believe LeBeau has turned down two or three job offers... or interviews anyway. After the fiasco at Buffalo, I don't think he has a desire to be a HC anymore.

GuerillaBlack
11-06-2010, 02:49 PM

I see what you're saying, but what about the coaches not on teams? Cowher, Gruden, etc. McNair couldn't fire Kubiak and hire one of them?

Nawzer
11-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Sometimes you just wear out your welcome and its time for a change. Kubiak could lead us to the playoffs and I can still see the Texans firing him this year. I don't know how remotely true it is but I just get a feeling that things are just stale right now with the Texans. Every thing is in one gear and there's nothing new and fresh happening with the team. I always thought that Kubiak would not be the coach who would get us to the Super Bowl, but he would be the one to turn the ship around and set the right course for us. I think he has done that job well, but now we need to take the next step and it may be time for a big name coach with experience. I don't know who that might be but I think there are some good coaches out there.

ChampionTexan
11-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Unless uncle BoB get his way there willbe know lockout. IMHO

The owners aren't going to leave a billion $$$$ on the table.

Kraft is a major power player in the NFL ownership scheme and he says he doesn't think there will be a lockout.

Do you think Jerrah will vote for a lockout when he just built a new billion $$$ stadium? I dont think so. The power payers as owners dont want a lockout. It's not in there best interest.

All of this lockout talk is just posturing from both sides. IMHO A deal will get done at the last minute.

For this discussion, I don't think it matters if there's a lockout, no lockout, or a very short lockout with little/none of the regular season lost. Unless there's an agreement reached by the end of February, the threat of a lockout is going to keep some coaches, who would otherwise be fired, gainfully employed.

Whether another season hovering around the .500 mark would cause McNair to fire Kubes under normal circumstances is highly suspect to begin with. I believe that given the very likely possibility of uncertainty coming out of this season, the chances of it are virtually nil.

Lucky
11-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Dick LeBeau because he's a defensive mastermind. Most of the success Cowher and Tomlin had was because they had LeBeau running the Steeler defense. All Cowher/Tomlin had to do was assemble a decent offense. The Steeler defense is what always keeps them in the hunt. I'm really surprised that in 7 pages of talk about replacement coaches his name hasn't been mentioned even once. yeah, I know he had a shot in Buffalo once, but they didn't have the offensive talent we do.

I believe LeBeau has turned down two or three job offers... or interviews anyway. After the fiasco at Buffalo, I don't think he has a desire to be a HC anymore.
Dick LeBeau was head coach of the Bengals 2000-2002. Never the Bills. Dick Jauron was head coach of the Bills 2006-2009. Both were defensive backs in the NFL and LeBeau coached Jauron with the Bengals in 1980.

BTW, LeBeau turned 73 in September. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

ObsiWan
11-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Dick LeBeau was head coach of the Bengals 2000-2002. Never the Bills. Dick Jauron was head coach of the Bills 2006-2009. Both were defensive backs in the NFL and LeBeau coached Jauron with the Bengals in 1980.

BTW, LeBeau turned 73 in September. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Opps. Thanks for the correction. I should have looked it up myself first.
:facepalm:

painekiller
11-06-2010, 04:42 PM
I see what you're saying, but what about the coaches not on teams? Cowher, Gruden, etc. McNair couldn't fire Kubiak and hire one of them?

He could, but each one of those coaches has his own playbook and systems, and the players will not be able to work with them if there is a lockout.

Napa Auto Parts
11-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Bill Cowher
John Gruden
Brian Billick
Marty Schottenheimer < i think thats how you spell it
Ron Rivera

Those real quick of the top of my head one question would rick smith go too since he is kubiaks Homie.

Lucky
11-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Those real quick of the top of my head one question would rick smith go too since he is kubiaks Homie.
That's a good question. If a change is made, I think McNair needs to bring in a real football guy to run the entire organization and change the culture. A Bill Parcells type. Then, let that guy decide who stays, who goes, and who comes in. The leadership at the very top is sorely lacking. Bob McNair is a great guy. But, he has no idea how to run a NFL team. Hire a professional and get out of his way.

Pantherstang84
11-06-2010, 05:25 PM
That's a good question. If a change is made, I think McNair needs to bring in a real football guy to run the entire organization and change the culture. A Bill Parcells type. Then, let that guy decide who stays, who goes, and who comes in. The leadership at the very top is sorely lacking. Bob McNair is a great guy. But, he has no idea how to run a NFL team. Hire a professional and get out of his way.

Matt Millen?:boogereater:

beerlover
11-06-2010, 07:03 PM

maybe he gives Dan Reeves another call :phone:

TexanSam
11-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Perry Fewell

Mr. White
11-06-2010, 08:53 PM

LZ brought up a real good point on Tuesday.

If Cushing doesn't show up REAL quick, then it may not matter anyway. He already had a bunch of question marks around him before the draft. If his play doesn't pick up, then it'll prove the rumors right.

In other words, if Cushing turns out to be a one-hit wonder, then someone's gonna pay for it. Logic would dictate that it would be the GM.

playa465
11-06-2010, 09:07 PM
I think Cowher is a good motivator and he is a "get in ur face" type of guy that he probably learned from Shottenheimer...His teams are characterized by being tough and physical. He knows what he wants and he as the HC hr gets people to install what he wants...His defenses had excellent DCs: Dom Capers, Marvin Lewis and then Dick LeBeau...Cowher worked as a DC with KC and coached DBs in Cleveland. If he came here I have no doubt the D would improve. My concern would be the O, it may be harder to transform outta a ZBS OL to his power brand. The OL may know how but I suspect they may lack the the physicality and strength. With that I think an OC should be brought in who could blend what we have with minor tweaks...this would be expensive but my Dream Team:

HC: Cowher
OC: Brian Billick
DC: Marvin Lewis...last year of an extension and has not been offered a new deal...probably pending the Bungals success/failure this season

I can dream right?

TexanSam
11-06-2010, 10:24 PM
HC: Cowher
OC: Brian Billick
DC: Marvin Lewis...last year of an extension and has not been offered a new deal...probably pending the Bungals success/failure this season

I can dream right?

The Chiefs have Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel as their coordinators so your scenario isn't totally unrealistic. Don't know if Cowher would have any interest in hiring Billick or Lewis though.

I'd rather see the Texans finish 10-6 and see Kubiak keep his job though...

drewmar74
11-06-2010, 10:45 PM
LZ brought up a real good point on Tuesday.

If Cushing doesn't show up REAL quick, then it may not matter anyway. He already had a bunch of question marks around him before the draft. If his play doesn't pick up, then it'll prove the rumors right.

In other words, if Cushing turns out to be a one-hit wonder, then someone's gonna pay for it. Logic would dictate that it would be the GM.

Sheesh

Man, I'm so hoping that he picks it up.....

thunderkyss
11-07-2010, 06:56 AM
We haven't lost 5 games this season, much less 7.

Still have 9 games to go. Some of you may be setting yourselves up for a heart-break.

awtysst
11-07-2010, 08:35 AM
We haven't lost 5 games this season, much less 7.

Still have 9 games to go. Some of you may be setting yourselves up for a heart-break.

True but this is a MUST win game. Win today we go 5-3 and need another 5-3 to get to 10 wins. Lose today we go to 4-4 and need to go 6-2 over the last 8. Today's game will tell us if he are a playoff team or not.

steelbtexan
11-07-2010, 08:39 AM
^^^^^

This

I think they can do it.

thunderkyss
11-07-2010, 09:01 AM
True but this is a MUST win game. Win today we go 5-3 and need another 5-3 to get to 10 wins. Lose today we go to 4-4 and need to go 6-2 over the last 8. Today's game will tell us if he are a playoff team or not.

Even with a win, I think it would be difficult to say we are a play-off team.

With a loss.. I think the argument can be made that we are not. Even still, there is an opportunity for this team to grow & be that team. There would still be 8 games to go. The more difficult the task only makes it more difficult to be who we thought they should be.

Something about coal, pressure, & diamonds.

awtysst
11-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Even with a win, I think it would be difficult to say we are a play-off team.

With a loss.. I think the argument can be made that we are not. Even still, there is an opportunity for this team to grow & be that team. There would still be 8 games to go. The more difficult the task only makes it more difficult to be who we thought they should be.

Something about coal, pressure, & diamonds.

Well with a win, we are in the running for a playoff spot. A 5-3 over the next 8 is tough but doable. A 6-2 is nearly impossible. So, a win they have a chance, a loss and they are surely done.

overtrained
11-07-2010, 10:41 AM
I've been thinking about this for the last 2 years of stalled mediocrity. How about bringing in the best GM first? Ozzie Newsome (Baltimore), Eagles GM, Giants GM, Saints GM, etc. and then find a coach? It seems that Kubiak's biggest failing has been all the draft busts (see our 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks for past 3 years). I've asked McClain this and he arrogantly corrected me that GM's don't leave which is complete BS (see Pioli going to KC).

awtysst
11-07-2010, 10:49 AM
I've been thinking about this for the last 2 years of stalled mediocrity. How about bringing in the best GM first? Ozzie Newsome (Baltimore), Eagles GM, Giants GM, Saints GM, etc. and then find a coach? It seems that Kubiak's biggest failing has been all the draft busts (see our 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks for past 3 years). I've asked McClain this and he arrogantly corrected me that GM's don't leave which is complete BS (see Pioli going to KC).

If we make a change, I like the idea of bringing in a "football guy" to be the President a la Bill Parcells role in Miami. Let him choose the right GM/Coach and build the team up.

PHAROAH
11-07-2010, 11:15 AM
The defense is garbage in terms of the scheme and we run the 4-3 now and it isn't working out period. I think that Demeco Ryans, Brian Cushing, Zach Diles, Mario Williams fit well in the 3-4 defensive scheme upfront. I say we go after Bill Cowher or John Gruden and keep Rick Dennison as the offensive coordinator and rebuild this defense around the linebacking corps. I say that we draft a nose tackle & Von Miller and switch to the 3-4 defense and play mario williams inside at the 3-4 DE position like buffalo did with Bruce Smith and Draft OLB Von Miller and Have Cushing at the other OLB position and let them create havoc on the outside with Mario giving the pass rush inside.

thunderkyss
11-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Well with a win, we are in the running for a playoff spot. A 5-3 over the next 8 is tough but doable. A 6-2 is nearly impossible. So, a win they have a chance, a loss and they are surely done.

Until they get that 7th loss, they are not done. It will look nearly impossible, but that isn't the same as impossible. Improbable maybe.

I'm not just arguing semantics...

Baltimore got an improbable win against the Steelers on a last second amazing catch TD. The Bengals were in no condition to play the Jets, & the Colts didn't want to have any part of their game with the Jets.

I'm not saying either of those teams were unworthy of their berth, That was a quality win against the Steelers for the Ravens, & the Jets showed they belonged.

Just saying, there's many a slip twixt cup and lip.

playa465
11-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Let me punch back in this thread...Im still supportive of Kubiak as he IS our HC RIGHT NOW...however playing worse than .500 over the last 8 games should spell his demise. Coaching, player execution, refs are all part of the game...you have to deal with it and right now it seems we cant overcome none of those things...we are 4-4 and really only have 2 good wins which were games 1 and 4...we won 2 other games but we were lucky (I'll take those wins like that), however we will need more than luck during the last 8 games...Kubiak better get desperate before he loses this team, however I do not see McNair letting him go even if we finish 6-10.

TheMatrix31
11-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Until they get that 7th loss, they are not done. It will look nearly impossible, but that isn't the same as impossible. Improbable maybe.

I'm not just arguing semantics...

Baltimore got an improbable win against the Steelers on a last second amazing catch TD. The Bengals were in no condition to play the Jets, & the Colts didn't want to have any part of their game with the Jets.

I'm not saying either of those teams were unworthy of their berth, That was a quality win against the Steelers for the Ravens, & the Jets showed they belonged.

Just saying, there's many a slip twixt cup and lip.

There are so many twist and turns to be seen. The AFC is SO tight.

That December 13th MNF against Baltimore will be for the season, I think.

drewmar74
11-07-2010, 05:37 PM
The defense is garbage in terms of the scheme and we run the 4-3 now and it isn't working out period. I think that Demeco Ryans, Brian Cushing, Zach Diles, Mario Williams fit well in the 3-4 defensive scheme upfront. I say we go after Bill Cowher or John Gruden and keep Rick Dennison as the offensive coordinator and rebuild this defense around the linebacking corps. I say that we draft a nose tackle & Von Miller and switch to the 3-4 defense and play mario williams inside at the 3-4 DE position like buffalo did with Bruce Smith and Draft OLB Von Miller and Have Cushing at the other OLB position and let them create havoc on the outside with Mario giving the pass rush inside.

Why would you think that a new coach would keep Dennison? If anything, the offense has regressed some under him.

I think that the talent on the O-line (particularly having healthy guards) is why the running game is there for us, not any magical pixie "running game" dust that Dennison sprinkled on the team.

I'd dump the whole lot of them and start over. This sucks.

Pantherstang84
11-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Why would you think that a new coach would keep Dennison? If anything, the offense has regressed some under him.

I think that the talent on the O-line (particularly having healthy guards) is why the running game is there for us, not any magical pixie "running game" dust that Dennison sprinkled on the team.

I'd dump the whole lot of them and start over. This sucks.

Some? That is an understatement in my opinion. Every time I see Matt drop back now I get nervous.

texans1969
11-07-2010, 05:53 PM

While GM's leave, I think that you need to understand that Kubiak does not pull the trigger on draft selections. Rick Smith does in cooperation with the director of college scouting and the scouts on the college staff, with input from the pro scouting staff.

GM's do not leave. McClain does not know what the hell he is talking about. The only reason that Pioli left was because of not being given the title of GM which he so badly wanted. He was the Vice President of Personnel in New England, being paid a GM's salary and given the responsibilities of a GM, but Robert Kraft, the Patriots owner, would not give Pioli the title of GM, because of how much power he gives Belicheck and felt this would be viewed as a challenge in Belicheck's mind.

I think that we have the right GM in place in Houston right now. While Kubiak was hired before Rick Smith, he is a great GM and if and when he is able to hire his own head coach, he will be in a better position. I do think that Coach Kubiak is a great head coach, while there have been admittedly TREMENDOUS struggles on defense this year.

Goatcheese
11-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Frank Bush for head coach!

We need a guy who is familiar with our personnel, can work with Rick Smith to pick players that don't live up to expectations and don't fit what we're trying to do, and of course is a great leader who the players want to play for.

drewmar74
11-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Some? That is an understatement in my opinion. Every time I see Matt drop back now I get nervous.

I know.

I tend to understate things.

overtrained
11-07-2010, 06:57 PM
While GM's leave, I think that you need to understand that Kubiak does not pull the trigger on draft selections. Rick Smith does in cooperation with the director of college scouting and the scouts on the college staff, with input from the pro scouting staff.

GM's do not leave. McClain does not know what the hell he is talking about. The only reason that Pioli left was because of not being given the title of GM which he so badly wanted. He was the Vice President of Personnel in New England, being paid a GM's salary and given the responsibilities of a GM, but Robert Kraft, the Patriots owner, would not give Pioli the title of GM, because of how much power he gives Belicheck and felt this would be viewed as a challenge in Belicheck's mind.

I think that we have the right GM in place in Houston right now. While Kubiak was hired before Rick Smith, he is a great GM and if and when he is able to hire his own head coach, he will be in a better position. I do think that Coach Kubiak is a great head coach, while there have been admittedly TREMENDOUS struggles on defense this year.

I appreciate your commentary but disagree wholeheartedly with a lot of what you said. What makes Kubiak a "great" coach? He's average, actually below average, based on his record. Why is Rick Smith a "great" GM? We still have gaping personnel issues. Our D Line has sucked since 2006 and they still haven't fixed it with 4 offseasons. Brilliant idea of going with the youngest secondary in the NFL when we've never been able to generate any pass rush. Did they honestly think that Connor Barwin was going to solve the pass rush issues? How about a legit #2 receiver to go with Andre? Bottom line is no other franchise tolerates this mediocrity like we do. I also don't buy the whole GMs don't leave theory. If McNair offered Baltimore's, Philly's, N.O.'s, or the NYG's GM's twice his salary do you think that may change their minds?

awtysst
11-07-2010, 07:19 PM

Rick Smith has been able to get the players that Kubiak wants. However, he is just as tied to the team as Kubes is. If Kubes is fired, I would not be surprised if Smith goes with him. Remembered he hired a consultant (Dan Reeves) to help him figure out what to do. Reeves advised against retaining the services of the C&C music factory. I could see McNair hiring another consultant such as a Marty Shotenheimer (sic) to help him out. I would even advocate him keeping ol Marty on as the Team President. But, whoever the consultant is, they usually want to show their football knowledge by suggesting changes.

beerlover
11-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Rick Smith has been able to get the players that Kubiak wants. However, he is just as tied to the team as Kubes is. If Kubes is fired, I would not be surprised if Smith goes with him. Remembered he hired a consultant (Dan Reeves) to help him figure out what to do. Reeves advised against retaining the services of the C&C music factory. I could see McNair hiring another consultant such as a Marty Shotenheimer (sic) to help him out. I would even advocate him keeping ol Marty on as the Team President. But, whoever the consultant is, they usually want to show their football knowledge by suggesting changes.

I think it's time to hire a consultant at minimum. I would approach Tony Dungy with a proposition, time for Bob McNair to spend some resources :money:

thunderkyss
11-08-2010, 05:00 AM
Frank Bush for head coach!

We need a guy who is familiar with our personnel, can work with Rick Smith to pick players that don't live up to expectations and don't fit what we're trying to do, and of course is a great leader who the players want to play for.

Now we're talking.

I can get on this ship. Where's the soap??

thunderkyss
11-08-2010, 05:01 AM
I appreciate your commentary but disagree wholeheartedly with a lot of what you said.

Why can't we have more posters like this? So sweet, so polite.

Are you a Texan?

BigBull17
11-08-2010, 07:41 AM
Thats assuming hes even wanting to get back into coaching. I just dont think Dungy is the type of guy to go and slap the Colts in the face like that.

Say what you want about "a job being a job" but Dungy is a man of principal and I seriously doubt he would ever do that to his beloved Colts.

I could be wrong.......hopefully he proves me wrong and shows some interest in us.

It's more likely he won't coach, then he won't coach here because he will have to play the Colts.

Thorn
11-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Why can't we have more posters like this? So sweet, so polite.

It's a tough job being an *******, but it's something many of us do well. :)

DerekLee1
11-08-2010, 08:33 AM

Pioli was not a GM. He was Director of Player Personnel. Not the same thing. And McClain is right; GM's don't leave. They get fired. And if they're fired, there's a reason (see: Charley Casserly).