PDA

View Full Version : The Blame Game

Hagar
11-02-2010, 03:52 AM
It's 4:00 AM and I can't sleep. So, we just got trounced by the Colts and I see a lot of people pointing fingers. For fun and games, lets play the blame game. Choose one area to blame for tonights debacle.

GNTLEWOLF
11-02-2010, 04:02 AM
I voted the Head coach.....after all, to quote Kubiak,"It's all on me."

whiskeyrbl
11-02-2010, 04:19 AM
I had to say head coach. Why was the game plan different than the first game?

Txn_in_Oki
11-02-2010, 04:34 AM
I blame the head coach that starts the game 3 and out throwing. This is the team with the RB that smashed the Colts for 231 yards. I mean really... why run with a back that can get a first down every 3 runs?

TheMatrix31
11-02-2010, 05:21 AM
In game? Duane Brown.

But...Kubiak. This was the first time he was actually outcoached this year.

Scooter
11-02-2010, 05:25 AM
with 2 weeks to prepare, it's all on kubiak.

1 ... run the ball. this couldnt be in any way more common sense.
2 ... assist your offensive tackles with play-action and chip blocks, only as a suppliment to #1
3 ... expose a depleted secondary with 10-20 yard routes, only with #2.

4 ... nobody cares if the colts try to run, stop the pass
5 ... the colts have a favorite route - it's called a "slant pattern" ... jam your secondary inside-out
6 ... assume the players on our team arent complete morons, let them shift out of shown blitzes after manning readjusts.

FirstTexansFan
11-02-2010, 08:12 AM
In game? Duane Brown.

But...Kubiak. This was the first time he was actually outcoached this year.

1st time? Even Wade Phillips out coached this doofus.

Maddict5
11-02-2010, 08:16 AM
this time it actually was on kubiak

hobie
11-02-2010, 08:18 AM
I normally let a game once it ends go...but last nights loss is sticking with me because of the same coaching stuff I see... And let's be honest.. 4-3 is still a winning record, but Washington should have been a L if they didn't stop playing, and Oakland looking back should have been as well... Please save it.. you know it too ! 2-5 is what the team should be, and well it is the way they are playing...
I can't even explain how I am feeling this morning !

eriadoc
11-02-2010, 08:23 AM
As I posted in another thread, you can't separate bad play from coaching usually. Last night, however, the players that were doing poorly were doing some things well. The OL couldn't pass block (esp. Brown), but they were run blocking well. JJ couldn't catch or hold onto the football, but he got at least one nice backside seal block to help Foster bust one. Any moron could tell from Schaub's body language that he didn't trust his line to protect him to pass. Any moron knows the key to beating Manning is to chew clock and keep him off the field. Any moron knows that the Colts have a ferocious pass rush and a porous run defense.

Somehow, when Kubiak added all that up, it equaled a lot of passing.

2slik4u
11-02-2010, 08:25 AM
Had to say Kubes on this one. Obviously they were getting to Schaub and he wasnt getting enough time to throw accurately so with that being said.......change the freaking gameplan.

I really wish we saw a heavy dose of Foster/Ward. In the first half, Foster had 8 carries for 65 yds and Schaub was 5/15 for 37 yds and a pick.

Hmmmmmmmmmm........what should we do here?

It was very frustrating to see this. We gash the Colts for 231 yds in week one and we are on pace to do the same thing last night but instead he continues to pass the ball. I understand we needed big plays and needed to have balance but cmon, did we have balance in week one when we pwned the colts? No.

I truly believe Foster may be one the premier backs in the league for THIS system, not sure how he would be in other systems but he fits here great. He was running great last night and we didnt utilize him as much as we could have.

Oh well, on to San Diego.........

:choke:

GuerillaBlack
11-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Kubiak.

He got two weeks to prepare for this and didn't think about pounding the ball more. Everyone knew what we had to do to beat the Colts, except Kubiak. Stop with this fantasy of you "outsmarting" the Colts with the pass. It obviously didn't work, but the running was working, yet Kubiak went away from it. It seems that Kubiak needs five months to prepare to beat the Colts because two weeks obviously wasn't enough.

Kubiak is NOT a head coach. I gave him a pass the first six games. After last night, I see clearly how much of a joke of a HC he is.

Yankee_In_TX
11-02-2010, 08:33 AM
I'm tired of getting out coached and then hearing:

'We knew that was going to be their gameplan and didn't expect anything different.'

and

'We failed to execute.'

WTF. Translation:

"I'm a mediocre coach and will NEVER get a team 3 games above .500."

Kinda' sad - all we have to hang out hats on is 9-7. Never been 3 games above .500.

hobie
11-02-2010, 08:36 AM
I'm tired of getting out coached and then hearing:

'We knew that was going to be their gameplan and didn't expect anything different.'

and

'We failed to execute.'

WTF. Translation:

"I'm a mediocre coach and will NEVER get a team 3 games above .500."

Kinda' sad - all we have to hang out hats on is 9-7. Never been 3 games above .500.

I sure hope that is what the record will be this year...

2slik4u
11-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Kubiak.

He got two weeks to prepare for this and didn't think about pounding the ball more. Everyone knew what we had to do to beat the Colts, except Kubiak. Stop with this fantasy of you "outsmarting" the Colts with the pass. It obviously didn't work, but the running was working, yet Kubiak went away from it. It seems that Kubiak needs five months to prepare to beat the Colts because two weeks obviously wasn't enough.

Kubiak is NOT a head coach. I gave him a pass the first six games. After last night, I see clearly how much of a joke of a HC he is.

What are the odds we can quit pretending and just go ahead and get the REAL shanahan and company to Houston? Obviously the pretenders arent working.

HOU-TEX
11-02-2010, 08:41 AM
There's no doubt it's Kubiak. Foster gashes the Colts in week 1 and begins to gash them again last night, but we only hand the ball to him 8 times in the first half?! He gained 65 yards in those 8 carries, over 8 yards a carry.

Just another 3 hours wasted from my life.

Scooter
11-02-2010, 08:45 AM
edit.

GP
11-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Kubiak.

Two weeks to prepare. To prepare for an opponent you know (or SHOULD know), and that you know can NOT stop the run. Yet it's a pass-happy game.

Why are these guys getting paid the money they are getting paid? It is mind-boggling to me. I truly believe the NFL is a good-old-boy system. Once you're in, you're in for life. You 'll be a coordinator for awhile, then a head coach, then you get fired and go be a coordinator somewhere, then become a head coach again, then rinse and repeat...their whole LIFE.

Makes no sense to me. Congratulations, Gary Kubiak, for building a great offense. Now if you could just figure out how to use it, that'd be nice.

Instead, go about your business of being a complete moron and asking your team to overcome your playcalling and lack of adjustments.

I turned the game off at the half and played Battlefield 1943 online on my Xbox360 for the next two hours. Might as well do something that I can control, rather than watching something fall apart that I can NOT control.

And Bob McNair is crazy for not firing Kubiak last season and throwing his entire life savings at Bill Cowher. Complete control. Bill, do whatever you want. Wear a robe to work for all I care, Bill. You have what it takes. You have weapons on our team, so do your thing Bill. But no, let's stay with a guy who has won TWO games vs. the Colts in 16 tries. TWO. That's like a batting average of about .050 or maybe .075 at best.

Kubiak is a real piece of work. Always trying to be unconventional, unpredictable, and look where it gets him. It is amazing the degree of ineptitude and recklessness that Kubiak exhibits.

I would NOT have gone for it on 4th down, though I have sometimes agreed to go for it in other games. It didn't feel right. We had to take a timeout because we were confused, and THAT is a bad sign right there--It wasn't the right call (RUN THE BALL!!!). And it wasn't the right call to go back to the pass so early and often when the run was killing the Colts. Another bad move.

Will Gary ever "get it," or is he doomed to getting fired because he is such a moron when it comes to preparing a scheme and sticking with it (especially when it has worked in the past?). LOL. Oh boy, what a dandy.

HuttoKarl
11-02-2010, 08:51 AM
When you are averaging big runs, why focus so much on the pass in the first half? It made no sense. Foster was running strong but they waited until the game was completely out of hand to give him the ball. The best way to neutralize Freeney is to run straight at him, but apparently our offensive playcaller is too idiotic to figure that out.

Grams
11-02-2010, 08:57 AM
This one is all on the Head Coach.

Having 2 weeks to prepare for a beat up opponent that we crushed in game 1.
This team was not prepared, was not pumped up, was just not ready to play.

It is embarrasing for a team to be so unprepared on national TV. How can we ever gain any respect when we always look like a high school team on Monday Night Football.

Dread-Head
11-02-2010, 08:59 AM
The offense does their job. The defense is a JOKE Gruden and Fouts were calling it the "worst defense in the NFL" repeatedly last night. At points in the game Mario Williams was on the sideline yelling at defensive coaching staff. When you allow 400 plus yards of offense against you PER GAME...and your defense is rated DEAD LAST. Tackling is laxidasical, hits are non existent.
Offenses ROUTINELY go for it on fourth and short. Sorry, an offense REPEATEDLY going for it on fourth and short is telling a defense "F you." For that level of disrespect you break bones, administer concussions and generally bring the pain. Football is a game in which respect isn't given simply because someone asks for it. Defense's job is to either beat an offense into submission or to have that offense wake up on the sidelines in fear of retaking the field.
No one fears the Texans Defense. Payton Manning repeatedly went for it on fourth and short his receivers were going over the middle and taking passes in the flat. Do that same crap against the Ravens, Saints or Steelers and you're taken out of the game and sitting out the next one due to the vicious hit you took. Do the same against the Texans and you've made an ESPN highlight reel.
Change the defense, change the co-ordinator. Get Buddy Ryan out of retirement, call in Wade Phillips after Jerry fires him. I'm tired of seeing Andre Johnson being one of the NFL's bridesmaids because the defense plays like they're all stoned on opium and each TD he and the offense put on the board is answered with another TD and two field goals.
Bush should be fired, exiled from the state of Texas and given a lifetime BAN from the sport of football. He shoudn't be allowed to watch football, much less draw a pay check based on his lack of knowledge of it. If he's still here at the end of the season I might advocate beating him to death.

Kaiser Toro
11-02-2010, 09:00 AM
I said Kubiak, but it is the organization. We need a change of attitude from the top down. The first time we beat a team that needs the win more than us will be the first.

Beer and Metal
11-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Even my 12 yo son saw the Texans telegraph the play with the man in motion.
Even he did the math quickly enough to know Foster had 8 YPC at the half and wondered why we didn't run the ball more.

eriadoc
11-02-2010, 09:05 AM
The offense does their job. The defense is a JOKE Gruden and Fouts were calling it the "worst defense in the NFL" repeatedly last night. At points in the game Mario Williams was on the sideline yelling at defensive coaching staff. When you allow 400 plus yards of offense against you PER GAME...and your defense is rated DEAD LAST. Tackling is laxidasical, hits are non existent.
Offenses ROUTINELY go for it on fourth and short. Sorry, an offense REPEATEDLY going for it on fourth and short is telling a defense "F you." For that level of disrespect you break bones, administer concussions and generally bring the pain. Football is a game in which respect isn't given simply because someone asks for it. Defense's job is to either beat an offense into submission or to have that offense wake up on the sidelines in fear of retaking the field.
No one fears the Texans Defense. Payton Manning repeatedly went for it on fourth and short his receivers were going over the middle and taking passes in the flat. Do that same crap against the Ravens, Saints or Steelers and you're taken out of the game and sitting out the next one due to the vicious hit you took. Do the same against the Texans and you've made an ESPN highlight reel.
Change the defense, change the co-ordinator. Get Buddy Ryan out of retirement, call in Wade Phillips after Jerry fires him. I'm tired of seeing Andre Johnson being one of the NFL's bridesmaids because the defense plays like they're all stoned on opium and each TD he and the offense put on the board is answered with another TD and two field goals.
Bush should be fired, exiled from the state of Texas and given a lifetime BAN from the sport of football. He shoudn't be allowed to watch football, much less draw a pay check based on his lack of knowledge of it. If he's still here at the end of the season I might advocate beating him to death.

Once upon a time, there was this expansion team that had the most atrocious offensive line. When the offense sputtered and stalled, the HC fired the offensive coordinator. And who did he promote to OC? That's right - a coach from the worst unit on the team.

Several years later, that team was making strides on offense, and the line was finally decent. But the defense was so terrible that the DC had to be fired. And who did the HC promote to be the new DC? That's right, a coach from the worst unit on the team.

Stupid is as stupid does, and this is but one example.

Texas T
11-02-2010, 09:43 AM
I'm going with coaching in general...
I couldn't figure out why we didn't run more.
3rd and 2 and a pass play??? WTF???
We were kicking their tail when the running game was going strong and then a pass play??

I have no idea what the hell was going on.

V Man
11-02-2010, 09:49 AM

Don't forget about Steve Young in pre-game. He said he would love to play against this defense. So vanilla, everyone knows what are defense is doing because there is no creativity to it.

TimeKiller
11-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Kubiak as the coaching side...OL as the player side.

Double Barrel
11-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Even my 12 yo son saw the Texans telegraph the play with the man in motion.
Even he did the math quickly enough to know Foster had 8 YPC at the half and wondered why we didn't run the ball more.

I was letting my 8 year old son stay up late to watch the game. He decided to call it a night during the 2nd quarter!

As he was headed to bed, he told my buddy and I that "the Texans are going to lose", really matter-of-factly. My bud told him to never say it like that, instead say something along the lines of "they are playing so bad that it looks like they are going to lose it."

My son's reply: "We've seen this before, and they look like they don't want to win the game. They are going to lose. Good night".

When it is painfully obvious to an 8 year old, who would rather go to bed than stay up past bedtime to watch his team, I think this says a lot.

When he woke up this morning, he asked me over breakfast, "how bad did they lose", like it was a given...which it was, and I wish I had gone to bed instead of watching that mediocre crapball.

HTown2ATX
11-02-2010, 10:56 AM
I was letting my 8 year old son stay up late to watch the game. He decided to call it a night during the 2nd quarter!

As he was headed to bed, he told my buddy and I that "the Texans are going to lose", really matter-of-factly. My bud told him to never say it like that, instead say something along the lines of "they are playing so bad that it looks like they are going to lose it."

My son's reply: "We've seen this before, and they look like they don't want to win the game. They are going to lose. Good night".

When it is painfully obvious to an 8 year old, who would rather go to bed than stay up past bedtime to watch his team, I think this says a lot.

When he woke up this morning, he asked me over breakfast, "how bad did they lose", like it was a given...which it was, and I wish I had gone to bed instead of watching that mediocre crapball.

LMFAO!

My 4 year old likes to watch the Texans with me. She can't grasp who may win or lose just yet before the game is over, but she has asked me before why "are the Texans broken daddy?" Lol......

I ended up going to bed or more like passing out with 5 minutes or so left in the game. Total waste of 7 Shiners, 3/4 of a Red Baron Supreme pizza and 2.5 hours of my time on a work night.

Priceless.

JB
11-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Where is the "all of the above" option?

Ranger Tom
11-02-2010, 11:24 AM
The problem with this poll is that it only allows us to choose one option each, instead of checking all that apply.

But since I can only choose one: Kubiak.

beerlover
11-02-2010, 11:29 AM
I have not seen a Texan OL play that bad since the "he who must not be named" era & alot of those where on him. Schaub had little to no chance, he is more of an ironman than I ever imagined to hang in there & take that beating :cool:

thunderkyss
11-02-2010, 11:32 AM
I voted Schaub for a couple of reasons. He's been having issues all year long. In my mind, if there was one player that could have played better last night that would have changed the outcome of the game, to me it was Matt Schaub.

I've heard in the past, that we've won in spite of our coaches. Last night would have been a perfect time to prove it.

As far as run/pass, pass/run, I thought it was made clear that Matt has that option on every play. If he's feeling pass, pass the ball. If he's feeling run...... run it.

So if Kubiak is the idiat we all think he is, why is Schaub oblivious to the fact? If anyone should have had a feel for what was working.... Schaub should have. If we should have been running the ball more, Schaub has the power to make it happen. He didn't.

Mailman
11-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Anyone who puts the blame on the defense and not the offensive line was not watching the game last night. The defense did its job, the offense (and the offensive play-calling) sucked a wet bag of dog farts.

Beer and Metal
11-02-2010, 11:43 AM
I voted Schaub for a couple of reasons. He's been having issues all year long. In my mind, if there was one player that could have played better last night that would have changed the outcome of the game, to me it was Matt Schaub.

I've heard in the past, that we've won in spite of our coaches. Last night would have been a perfect time to prove it.

As far as run/pass, pass/run, I thought it was made clear that Matt has that option on every play. If he's feeling pass, pass the ball. If he's feeling run...... run it.

So if Kubiak is the idiat we all think he is, why is Schaub oblivious to the fact? If anyone should have had a feel for what was working.... Schaub should have. If we should have been running the ball more, Schaub has the power to make it happen. He didn't.

I think it's still on the coach. As someone pointed out earlier this year, where the man in motion stops tells the opposing defense "run" or "pass". That's on the coach.

My 12 yo was calling it with 90% accurracy before each snap.

HuttoKarl
11-02-2010, 12:39 PM
You know what else I want to know?

Does Eugene Wilson have thumbs? That guy couldn't intercept a pass if it was made out of glue and he had velcro gloves and a black hole for a chest.

I swear the guy has lobster claws.

Hervoyel
11-02-2010, 12:43 PM
I chose Bob McNair because he hired Gary Kubiak and continues to support Gary Kubiak. While I believe that Gary is the problem I decided to pin the blame on the guy who enables Gary.

Gary Kubiak is the problem. Of that I have no doubt. Gary makes the decisions like his mentor Mike Shannahan makes the decisions and so when he stands before us saying "It's on me" he truly means it. His problems are many and chief among them I think is insecurity. I think Kubiak comes from a coaching line (Shannahan's) that emphasizes control at the top and to some degree a dash of paranoia where coaches outside of the line are concerned. He's hired a pair of OC's and a pair of DC's so far. Three of them were first-time coordinators and the other was another "Gary" who had worked as an OC under Mike Shannahan. Being a coordinator under Shannahan is much like being a QB under Kubiak. You do what you're told to do. Richard Smith was in over his head, Frank Bush is in over his head. Shanny Jr. was a nepotism hire and Dennison was the consolation prize when Mike wanted his boy back.

Not once has he gone out and hired someone who was a truly successful coordinator and also his own man. I keep coming back to Gregg Williams and the interview he (didn't) have with the Texans. We had the worst defense in existence but we didn't pursue this man aggressively in the least and he cancelled his interview with the Texans to take the Saints job. 8 days after the Saints fired their DC who wasn't getting it done they went out and made Gregg Williams the kind of offer that gets quality assistant coaches signed before they leave your offices. How long did it take our coach and GM to decide to hire one of the clowns they already had on the payroll? That's just a pitiful attempt at getting better. It's no attempt at all.

Mike Nolan was also available but didn't garner enough interest from the Texans to merit an interview.

I'm of the opinion that Gary doesn't want another rooster in the hen house and won't hire a coordinator (either defensive or offensive) that might prove to be a viable alternative to himself or who might be his own man and not in lock-step with the other members of the Shannahan coaching "family". I also believe that Rick Smith is equally complicit in this decision to only hire position coaches who Kubiak is familiar with. Kubiak and Smith are like peas and carrots here and I have no doubt that Smith would try to oppose any coaching change that could result in a strong candidate with aspirations towards a Head Coach/GM title. Job one here isn't winning. It's self preservation followed by winning if possible. This kind of petty bullshit led to Bum Phillips being fired by Adams back in 1981 when Ladd Herzog coaxed Bud into firing his head coach and placing his trust in Ladd. That led to a string of weak and cheap coaches who couldn't challenge Herzog's power and eventually that same dynamic led to the Oilers leaving town for Nashville. Bud liked having a GM whispering in his ear and taking care of all the petty details. I don't think Bob McNair is like that but he's certainly slow to make a change and still green enough to place his trust in the wrong people.

Bill Cowher is the kind of coach I think we need here. He's a successful coach from an organization that McNair has repeatedly said he'd like to emulate. Do it right Bob and go talk to Bill Cowher... or continue to do things this way if you don't care and just want to count money.

nero THE zero
11-02-2010, 01:03 PM
I voted Kubiak, though I must say, in his defense, I read a quote from Kubiak (I can't remember where, either in an AJ or Kuharsky piece) that stated something to the effect, "We didn't run the ball enough. Early in the game we had a couple run plays called that ended up pass plays."

That puts to bed two things, (1) that Schaub isn't given the freedom to change plays, and (2) that we didn't gameplan to run early. It also puts some of this loss on Schaub (who is already shouldering considerable blame for the early pick-6).

Thorn
11-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Luckily I missed this game because of having to work very late, but from what I've read, Kubiak laid a big turd this game so I blamed him in the poll.

I said I'd be pissed if we didn't make the play offs this year, so, looks like I'm gonna get pretty pissed off in late December if not sooner. LOL

b0ng
11-02-2010, 01:34 PM
"Hey guys we're gonna throw on 3rd and 2 because they won't expect that one!"

"Okay guys we're going to do something they will absolutely not expect on 4th and 2. Okay, get close, are you ready for this? Throw it. They totally won't expect it since our running back is averaging a million yards a carry! The perfect crime!"

Hervoyel
11-02-2010, 01:45 PM
I voted Kubiak, though I must say, in his defense, I read a quote from Kubiak (I can't remember where, either in an AJ or Kuharsky piece) that stated something to the effect, "We didn't run the ball enough. Early in the game we had a couple run plays called that ended up pass plays."

That puts to bed two things, (1) that Schaub isn't given the freedom to change plays, and (2) that we didn't gameplan to run early. It also puts some of this loss on Schaub (who is already shouldering considerable blame for the early pick-6).

And you buy this?

"We had some run plays that ended up being pass plays?" Because Matt Schaub just up and decided that he wanted him some more Dwight Freeney?

I knew that one of the first things I heard out of Kubiak's stupid gob was going to be something about how "we" didn't run the ball enough. He acts like the defense is dictating to his team what they can and can't do. Nice, so why bother to have a gameplan at all if the Colts can shove another guy in the box (for all the good it does them) and they spook you right out of it.

The fact that we were successful almost every single time we ran the ball makes Kubiak look like the inept coach he is. We didn't run the ball enough and it was Matt's fault for suddenly growing a pair and deciding to brave the Colts pass rush all night long.

nero THE zero
11-02-2010, 02:10 PM
And you buy this?
Do I buy that Kubiak called a run play and Schaub checked out of it? Yes. I don't think he'd lie about that.

Like I said, I voted for Kubiak, think this loss is his fault, and think he should be fired. But, I also think Schaub is due a substantial amount of blame, especially considering the aforementioned.

GuerillaBlack
11-02-2010, 02:14 PM
"Hey guys we're gonna throw on 3rd and 2 because they won't expect that one!"

"Okay guys we're going to do something they will absolutely not expect on 4th and 2. Okay, get close, are you ready for this? Throw it. They totally won't expect it since our running back is averaging a million yards a carry! The perfect crime!"

The only time the Texans ever "tricked" the Colts was the very first play of the game when Schaub threw the ball to Johnson for about 11 or 12 yards. The ONLY time. Maybe that gave Kubiak too much confidence.

thunderkyss
11-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Do I buy that Kubiak called a run play and Schaub checked out of it? Yes. I don't think he'd lie about that.

Like I said, I voted for Kubiak, think this loss is his fault, and think he should be fired. But, I also think Schaub is due a substantial amount of blame, especially considering the aforementioned.

According to Kubiak, it was more than one. I think Schaub saw too many in the box & checked into pass plays. Only problem with that, is that I would imagine an impromptu pass play would leave Brown on Freeny with no help.

You'd also think there would be something to quickly take advantage of the middle of the field, didn't see a lot of that.

Doesn't matter to me, this team should be able to throw on the Colts just as well as we can run on them.

On the good side.... this means that Matt is learning to take the reigns of the offense, which will help us when we get to the play-offs.