PDA

View Full Version : Duane Brown got owned by Freeny.

Wolf6151
11-02-2010, 12:10 AM
I know it's been mentioned in other threads but I thought Brown earned his own thread of shame tonight. Brown was slow/rusty thus giving up the sacks and pressures on Schaub and causing Schaub to get a case of the pocket jitters. It even looked like Schaub was feeling pressure on a few plays when there was none. Also why when it was obvious to everyone watching the game that he was getting owned didn't the Texans put a TE on the left side to help out with Freeny or tell Foster to concentrate on helping out with Freeny. Brown was bad but he got no help when it was obvious that he needed it. Terrible lack of coaching adjustments.

Mr. Texan
11-02-2010, 12:12 AM
looked like a matador out there

Dishman
11-02-2010, 12:14 AM
I know it's been mentioned in other threads but I thought Brown earned his own thread of shame tonight. Brown was slow/rusty thus giving up the sacks and pressures on Schaub and causing Schaub to get a case of the pocket jitters. It even looked like Schaub was feeling pressure on a few plays when there was none. Also why when it was obvious to everyone watching the game that he was getting owned didn't the Texans put a TE on the left side to help out with Freeny or tell Foster to concentrate on helping out with Freeny. Brown was bad but he got no help when it was obvious that he needed it. Terrible lack of coaching adjustments.

Brown owned by Freeney all night long and the coaching staff just let it happen. Maybe it's the sour taste in my mouth talking, but this teams weakest point is it's coaching staff. All this young, highly drafted talent over the years and squat to show for it.

dtran04
11-02-2010, 12:25 AM
Well the poor guy hadn't played in 4 weeks. He needed help.

hookinreds
11-02-2010, 12:36 AM
Well the poor guy hadn't played in 4 weeks. He needed help.

Yea, help from a coaching staff...wait, I take that back, that's asking too much from the guys with the headsets.

Brisco_County
11-02-2010, 12:39 AM
I knew it was a bad idea to start Brown against the Colts. Should've kept Butler in there for this game.

texansdrummer
11-02-2010, 12:54 AM
I knew it was a bad idea to start Brown against the Colts. Should've kept Butler in there for this game.

It was a bad time to get back into the groove of things. Butler was doing fine. Arian Foster was running against Indy just as fine. We somehow became our own worst enemy and changed some critical things that allowed us to beat the Colts earlier this season. It's not a good time to experiment when we are facing the Colts. We should have come out running until they could stop us....and if Brown started, Butler should have been subbed in sooner rather than later.

The Cush
11-02-2010, 01:15 AM
Here's what I don't understand. You look at tape and clips they show of Mario, he's being double teamed/chipped in 90% of them. He's just that type of player, as is Freeney as is Mathis but the coaches didn't call for any doubles or chipping on them until we were down by 17 points in the second half! I mean, is Kubiak and co. that dense? Duane Brown hadn't played a game snap in a month and you leave him 1 on 1? We have one of the top rushing attacks vs a diminutive defense and two superior pass rushing ends that are a WHOLE lot less effective against the run and we only rush 8 times in the 1st half?! I think i answered my own question

Wolf6151
11-02-2010, 07:52 AM
Even the talking heads on ESPN commented that Brown should get some help against Freeny. Why not put a TE on the left side to chip him or double team him, why not tell Foster to pay special attention to Freeny and help out. Why not take Brown out and put Butler in the game, Butler is a better pass blocker.

eriadoc
11-02-2010, 08:33 AM
See, I understand a 300+-lb. guy getting beaten by the speed rush. Freeney is one of the best in the biz, and he's light and agile. He's essentially a LB playing DE. But for that same LB to bull rush Brown into the QB, repeatedly, is just pathetic.

In his defense, the game plan should have called to run right at Freeney every play and make sure Freeney was buried on every play. By the second half, he'd be so worn out he wouldn't be bull rushing anyone.

hookinreds
11-02-2010, 08:35 AM
Freeny was even laughing about how Brown got no help on him. He couldn't believe that there was no one there at least chipping him.

silvrhand
11-02-2010, 08:35 AM
Here's what I don't understand. You look at tape and clips they show of Mario, he's being double teamed/chipped in 90% of them. He's just that type of player, as is Freeney as is Mathis but the coaches didn't call for any doubles or chipping on them until we were down by 17 points in the second half! I mean, is Kubiak and co. that dense? Duane Brown hadn't played a game snap in a month and you leave him 1 on 1? We have one of the top rushing attacks vs a diminutive defense and two superior pass rushing ends that are a WHOLE lot less effective against the run and we only rush 8 times in the 1st half?! I think i answered my own question

Mario was left one on one with the tackle a LOT last night and did NOTHING..

Dutchrudder
11-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Even the talking heads on ESPN commented that Brown should get some help against Freeny. Why not put a TE on the left side to chip him or double team him, why not tell Foster to pay special attention to Freeny and help out. Why not take Brown out and put Butler in the game, Butler is a better pass blocker.

Because that's what good coaches do against guys like Freeny, Mario and Ware. They recognize the mismatch and adjust. We don't have any of that on our team.

El Tejano
11-02-2010, 09:18 AM

Amen.

toronto
11-02-2010, 10:02 AM
See, I understand a 300+-lb. guy getting beaten by the speed rush. Freeney is one of the best in the biz, and he's light and agile. He's essentially a LB playing DE. But for that same LB to bull rush Brown into the QB, repeatedly, is just pathetic.

In his defense, the game plan should have called to run right at Freeney every play and make sure Freeney was buried on every play. By the second half, he'd be so worn out he wouldn't be bull rushing anyone.

Freeney is just a frigging freak. His spin move in the first quarter was insane good. I'm not a Texan fan, but as a 32 year student of the game that still is amazed at what I see, I was stunned to see the Texans not gash away at the Colts. Why weren't more screen passes thrown at Freeney's side early as well? Going blow for blow with the best QB in the NFL (god I hate saying that) is just flat out stupid. It was almost as if Kubiak really believed he could beat Manning at his own game, which IIRC has been a busto strategy for 10 years+

As I saw elsewhere on this board, everything that worked for Houston in week one wasn't employed, and minus Ryans, the personnel hadn't changed, except the venue, and the fact that the Colts were facing more injuries. Last night looked like a coaching disaster.

Kaiser Toro
11-02-2010, 10:12 AM
As I saw elsewhere on this board, everything that worked for Houston in week one wasn't employed, and minus Ryans, the personnel hadn't changed, except the venue, and the fact that the Colts were facing more injuries. Last night looked like a coaching disaster.

You missed one important thing, the Colts needed a win. It was like taking candy from a kid.

TimeKiller
11-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Freeney bought Duane Brown. He has the receipt. If I were DB I would've sat myself down after that first spin move. That was Houdini-ish, now you see me, now I'm sacking your QB....

drewmar74
11-02-2010, 10:37 AM
It was ugly.

Bad ugly.

I was thinking "Man, we've been waiting four weeks for THIS?"

I'd have put a tight end over there. Shoot, I'd have put Butler in as a tight end on that side.

Runner
11-02-2010, 10:48 AM

Just from memory, the only Texans left tackle that I've seen that received consistent tight end support or chipping from a running back was Chester Pitts. Through two head coaches and multiple defensive coordinators, this has remained constant against Freeny or anyone else.

I'm sure there have been pockets of help, but the Texans overall game plans seem to have the LT go mano a mano.

Strange over so long a period of time.

Kaiser Toro
11-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Just from memory, the only Texans left tackle that I've seen that received consistent tight end support or chipping from a running back was Chester Pitts. Through two head coaches and multiple defensive coordinators, this has remained constant against Freeny or anyone else.

I'm sure there have been pockets of help, but the Texans overall game plans seem to have the LT go mano a mano.

Strange over so long a period of time.

The ghost of Tony Boselli haunts us to this day.

Tailgate
11-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Freeny was even laughing about how Brown got no help on him. He couldn't believe that there was no one there at least chipping him.

We did the same **** against D Ware too. Unbelieveable.

jshabang
11-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Im a little torn on this one guys...........this was not Duane Browns first rodeo against freeney....hes playd him a ton of times in his career and granted the spin move has always ate him for lunch.....but he never got owned like that in past run ins with freeney

he may get beat a time or 2...but nothing like we saw last night....freeney is good but not that dam good.......for him to speed rush and bullrush brown like he did was a complete embarassment and Duane should be ashamed....no excuse for u not to handle him on most plays

but Duane couldnt block him one on one at all.....zero....was really sad if u ask me and begs of if that PED he was on made that much of a difference....same for cush....zero impact on anygame thus far

Norg
11-02-2010, 11:32 AM
i think kubes said they tried max protection and other things even doubling Freeny didnt work

TimeKiller
11-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Doubling him didn't work?

Triple him. Or you know, continue to do that thing that isn't working at all....

Hervoyel
11-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Run the ball maybe? Run it right at Freeney and beat him to **** instead of watching him do the beating on Schaub. I mean, we're only averaging like 6.8 yards a carry right?

And frankly Butler is a better tomato can than Brown.

eriadoc
11-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Run the ball maybe? Run it right at Freeney and beat him to **** instead of watching him do the beating on Schaub. I mean, we're only averaging like 6.8 yards a carry right?

That's my answer. I would have told the OL that we're going to run it right at Freeney for the entire first half (at least), and I want them to bury Freeney every play. I want him to peel himself off the turf every play. Brown, Wade Smith, Leach, and a chipping TE can take turns blasting him.

But then, I'm not a HC in the NFL, so what do I know? LOL

HOU-TEX
11-02-2010, 01:12 PM

Couldn't agree more, Herv. Foster only ran the ball 8 freakin times in the first half when the game was still well in reach. It's just absolutely mind-boggling why we stuck with the pass. Unacceptable!

What about the blitz by Session right up the gut and destroyed Schaub? For the love of Pete, man! The entire Oline was discombobulated, like it was the first time we've faced the Colts.

gtexan02
11-02-2010, 01:44 PM
3rd and 2 and averaging 8 yards a carry, what do you call? A pass
4th and 2 and averaging 8 yards a carry, what do you call? Ugh

infantrycak
11-02-2010, 01:52 PM

Yup. Don't understand it. Run right at him. Heck tell Leach to put a hat on him every play until he gives up.

Hervoyel
11-02-2010, 02:00 PM
And the thing that kills me is they just left Brown out there. On the bench is a perfectly good player who's been going out there for the past month and getting it done. Is he great? No but he's not rusty dung like Brown appeared to be. Put Butler in as a TE and have the two of them try to see if they can "discourage" Freeney a little. Like you said, run at him and tell Leach to drive home the seriousness of the situation.

But they just left Brown out there on his own. They aren't all that different from the Capers staff really.

Norg
11-02-2010, 02:14 PM
I dissapointed in "Mike" walter the most we targeted him alot this game but couldnt be CLutch :(

and Knucklehead My god he sucks has a WR cant be trusted

silvrhand
11-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Yup. Don't understand it. Run right at him. Heck tell Leach to put a hat on him every play until he gives up.

This, every running play I would tell Leach to hit him like he just woke up and found him in bed with his wife/mom/sister.. Have the tackle get outside and lead the FB on him EVERY play, I wouldn't care if we got half the yardage by about the second quarter you'd see a different play out of Freeney..

Fizz
11-02-2010, 02:25 PM
You missed one important thing, the Colts needed a win. It was like taking candy from a kid.

Yeah, and the Texans didn't need a win...

The Cush
11-02-2010, 02:30 PM
I dissapointed in "Mike" walter the most we targeted him alot this game but couldnt be CLutch :(

and Knucklehead My god he sucks has a WR cant be trusted

Haha Mike Walter! Yea JJ has really taken the next step this season...which is solidifying his moniker as Dropcoby. I'm hoping he doesnt return next season, or if he does its more of a return man/4th receiver type of role

Kaiser Toro
11-02-2010, 02:33 PM

The Colts needed it more than we did given their record and previous defeat against us.

Runner
11-02-2010, 02:48 PM

The Colts "needed" to win in their guts. The Texans "wanted" to win because it would be kind of cool to sweep them for a change.

CretorFrigg
11-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Didn't Kubiak mention that Duane Brown's strength is his run blocking? Well, it certainly didn't seem like it. His run blocking was almost as bad as his pass protection. Brown was routinely out of place and his footing was absolutely terrible which Freeney was able to take advantage of with his signature spin move.

What I don't understand is why Rashad Butler was benched when he has proven to be a better pass protector than Brown? Schaub rarely had the opportunity to sit back in the pocket for more than two seconds.

:kubepalm:

Spled
11-02-2010, 07:25 PM
We should have just taken Brown off the field and put a welcome mat down.

GNTLEWOLF
11-03-2010, 12:15 AM
We should have just taken Brown off the field and put a welcome mat down.

See, that is the issue..."We" (those of us who have eyes to see and think the Texan's short comings are plain for anyone to see) don't really have any say so. The people who make decisions are those who are drinking the Kubiak kool-aide and think all is well in la-la land...after all, we are 4-3 and just one game out of first place. anyway...as far as the welcome mat...what do you think Kubiak was doing by letting Brown play?