PDA

View Full Version : Defense turnaround after a week's rest/prep

Texan_Touchdown
10-31-2010, 12:17 AM
This defense before the bye week has showed me a couple things...

Pass rush has been a dust in the wind. DT's weakest link on defense. (BY FAR)

Pollard( worst form tackler on the team) got everybody going for the shoulder punch, that doesn't work unless the ball carrier doesn't see it coming.

And finally.. We can't blitz, with man coverage unless we're down by 17 in 4th quarter

Solution in one week? Lets hope.

Lucky
10-31-2010, 07:40 AM

And finally.. We can't blitz, with man coverage unless we're down by 17 in 4th quarter

DT is a weakness, no doubt. Weaker than CB? That's a close call.

Why can't the Texans blitz? They aren't staying with receivers in zone coverage. Why not try to get the ball out of the QBs hand sooner, and give these young CBs a chance to break on the ball? It's better than just falling back and getting picked apart.

CloakNNNdagger
10-31-2010, 08:10 AM
This defense before the bye week has showed me a couple things...

Pollard( worst form tackler on the team) got everybody going for the shoulder punch, that doesn't work unless the ball carrier doesn't see it coming.And finally.. We can't blitz, with man coverage unless we're down by 17 in 4th quarter

Solution in one week? Lets hope.

Texans S Pollard says his play not good enough (http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2010/10/30/texans-s-pollard-says-his-play-not-good-enough/)

hradhak
10-31-2010, 10:12 AM
I don't think it is a talent issue with the defense. It seems to be that the defense is just not getting the system. We miss assignments and tackles like crazy. People seem to be out of position all the time. I'm hoping the defense watched a whole lot of film this past week so they can get their assignments correct.

TheRealJoker
10-31-2010, 10:53 AM
I think the main thing we've done over the bye is get Cushing used to a new position. Its still gonna be a few weeks before we see some sort of turnaround from our defense. And in order to see that Mario is gonna have to become Super Mario again like he was the first two games and Cushing is gonna have to be a pro bowl caliber player at his new position.

Brandon420tx
10-31-2010, 12:21 PM
Both INT's we had last game came when we blitzed Cushing

hradhak
10-31-2010, 04:51 PM
We'll be playing a lot of nickel against the Colts so I imagine Cushing is going to be on the field for every defensive play except when he needs a breather. I wonder how much Cushing is going to be blitzing now that he's the Mike.

CloakNNNdagger
10-31-2010, 06:39 PM
We'll be playing a lot of nickel against the Colts so I imagine Cushing is going to be on the field for every defensive play except when he needs a breather. I wonder how much Cushing is going to be blitzing now that he's the Mike.

Unless they drop a safety up close, I would think that Cushing's blitzing will be limited.

Texas T
10-31-2010, 07:20 PM
Unless they drop a safety up close, I would think that Cushing's blitzing will be limited.

I'm not so sure. If Clark was around this would be the way to go but with him out they may be able to send him in more.
This should really disrupt the Forehead and cause him to make mistakes.

NitroGSXR
10-31-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm not so sure. If Clark was around this would be the way to go but with him out they may be able to send him in more.
This should really disrupt the Forehead and cause him to make mistakes.

Glutton for punishment? The sooner you accept that the forehead does not make very many mistakes... the better it is for you inside...

:texan:

HOU-TEX
11-01-2010, 09:03 AM
DT is a weakness, no doubt. Weaker than CB? That's a close call.

Why can't the Texans blitz? They aren't staying with receivers in zone coverage. Why not try to get the ball out of the QBs hand sooner, and give these young CBs a chance to break on the ball? It's better than just falling back and getting picked apart.

CB's are definitely a weakness, but I think our Safety's have been even worse. Add poor LB coverage to all of those other weak points and....you've got the Texans defense.

On another note. I found myself getting frustrated again yesterday watching how most other defenses around the league switch things up in attempt to confuse QB's of where blitzes are coming from. The Texans defense is completely vanilla compared to most other defenses and it pisses me off. It's like Bush and others don't bother to watch other D's and what might bring more success against an opponent. Ugh! It's aggrivating watching the same BS week after week.

CloakNNNdagger
11-01-2010, 12:52 PM
CB's are definitely a weakness, but I think our Safety's have been even worse. Add poor LB coverage to all of those other weak points and....you've got the Texans defense.

On another note. I found myself getting frustrated again yesterday watching how most other defenses around the league switch things up in attempt to confuse QB's of where blitzes are coming from. The Texans defense is completely vanilla compared to most other defenses and it pisses me off. It's like Bush and others don't bother to watch other D's and what might bring more success against an opponent. Ugh! It's aggrivating watching the same BS week after week.

I would hope that the D is not felt to be too "dumb" to handle a more diverse playbook. Otherwise, it is unlikely that the Texans D will look like anything but the Texans D.

Mr teX
11-01-2010, 01:07 PM
The DT's are definitely the weakest point of our defense. There is absolutely no push or anyone getting in the backfield unless Antonio Smith gets kicked inside.

Our secondary is just young & to use a madden playstation term their awareness isn't quite there yet. I have seem improvement, just not enough to be confident in for them in the future.

El Tejano
11-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Our defense will turn it around today.

Texan_Touchdown
11-01-2010, 02:46 PM
The DT's are definitely the weakest point of our defense. There is absolutely no push or anyone getting in the backfield unless Antonio Smith gets kicked inside.

Our secondary is just young & to use a madden playstation term their awareness isn't quite there yet. I have seem improvement, just not enough to be confident in for them in the future.

Agree 100%

Proof: Colts/ Raiders games pressure all game, we win.

Redskins, pressure 4th quarter, we comeback and win.

It's quite obvious that DL is more important to good pass coverage, than how well you are at guarding your man/zone.

If you have a windshield size window to look down the field and play madden on our defense, its definitely going to cause our DB's to look bad.

And I played QB in high school and college and i know that if I don't have pressure up the middle, then i don't have pressure at all. If i can step into all my throws they were going to be exactly where i want it to go, regardless of it being the right decision or not.

Pressure Manning, throw off his timing with his new TE, WR and we can win this game. If we can't do that, then I hope our Offense brought their A game.