PDA

View Full Version : Colts plan to get after Foster

CloakNNNdagger
10-30-2010, 05:26 PM
IndiStar (http://www.indystar.com/article/20101030/SPORTS03/10300335/Colts-plan-to-get-after-Foster?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CSports) writes that Foster essentially wearing a target.

Memories still fresh of Texans RB rushing for 231 yards in opener.

The Indianapolis Colts can't help but remember Arian Foster. How could they forget? They saw the name on the back of his jersey often enough Sept. 12.

The question is, will a defense that allowed the Houston Texans running back to go off for a franchise-record 231 yards be less submissive the second time around?

"Monday night will be the tell for how much improvement we have made from that Week 1 game," said Colts middle linebacker Gary Brackett, referring to the Texans' prime-time visit to Lucas Oil Stadium in a clash of 4-2 teams.

The Colts are allowing 137.3 yards rushing per game, 26th in the NFL. In four wins, the swift tacklers who usually swarm to the ball have allowed an average of 98.3 yards on the ground. In two losses, the same guys look more undersized and overpowered to the tune of a 215.5-yard average.

"Put that stuff to sleep," Colts weakside linebacker Clint Session said of being worn down by Foster's 191 second-half yards in a humbling 34-24 loss.

Session, who missed most of the preseason with a pectoral injury, pulled a hamstring in the Texans' onslaught. He missed two games. Now he looks more like the hit machine fans expect, with 10 tackles in each of the past two games.

"They ain't gonna try to run me over, trust me," he said. "They ain't gonna run me over."

But the Colts know the Texans' plan is to pound the ball with zone- and gap-blocking schemes. Foster, an undrafted second-year pro who spent most of his rookie season on the practice squad, has flourished in a system that demands one decisive cut. The Texans are No. 1 in rushing average at 5.2 yards per carry.

"Naturally, when you play a team twice, you tend to look at what you did wrong in that game," Foster said on a Thursday conference call. "I'm pretty sure they'll have corrections."

Houston also possesses one of the NFL's more accomplished passing attacks with quarterback Matt Schaub, who led the league in passing yards in 2009, and wide receiver Andre Johnson, the league's best in receiving yards two seasons running.

But Foster has opened eyes around the league and on his own team. While he played well toward the end of 2009, the Texans still used a second-round draft pick on Ben Tate. The backfield competition didn't materialize when Tate was lost for the season after breaking an ankle in the preseason opener.

"Has he surprised everybody? Yeah, he's surprised somewhat," Texans coach Gary Kubiak said of Foster. "But he's had a lot of help. We've given him some opportunities up front."

Foster is averaging 5.5 yards per carry. Half of his six touchdowns came against the Colts. His 635 rushing yards rank fourth in the league.

"I'm self-validated, man," Foster said. "I don't really need anybody's approval or anybody's criticism because I'm my worst critic. You hear that all the time, but for great athletes it's the truth because they always expect so much of themselves.

"I'm not out to try to prove the league wrong. I'm out to play good football and prove I belong."

Foster did just that in the season opener. The Colts defense is determined to prove something when they meet again.

"To be honest with you, when you look at that game, we weren't playing our defense," Colts defensive tackle Dan Muir said. "Our defense is fast and we run. That's what we've got to get to this week. Coming out there, just run. You make a mistake, just run. We do that, we should be fine.

"Yeah, they whupped us last time, but that was last time. It's a new week."

SheTexan
10-30-2010, 07:33 PM
This is gonna be a hell of a good game!! I can't wait!! I have a feeling Foster has enough p*ss and vinegar in his blood to laugh all the way to another 200+ yd game. If not, MS will have his first 500 yd game. Either way, I'm playing AJ and AF on my FF team!!

Dutchrudder
10-30-2010, 07:41 PM
IndiStar (http://www.indystar.com/article/20101030/SPORTS03/10300335/Colts-plan-to-get-after-Foster?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CSports) writes that Foster essentially wearing a target.

That's cool, AJ and Owen are wearing targets too.

JB
10-30-2010, 07:49 PM
This is gonna be a hell of a good game!! I can't wait!! I have a feeling Foster has enough p*ss and vinegar in his blood to laugh all the way to another 200+ yd game. If not, MS will have his first 500 yd game. Either way, I'm playing AJ and AF on my FF team!!

Yep! I'm thinking that the Colts are going to stack the line early, so Matt is going to slice them up. Then when they back off, Adrian is going to dice them up.

:fans:

CloakNNNdagger
10-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Yep! I'm thinking that the Colts are going to stack the line early, so Matt is going to slice them up. Then when they back off, Adrian is going to dice them up.

:kubepalm:

JB
10-30-2010, 08:09 PM
:kubepalm:

oops... fingers flying while watching tv is my only excuse

:kubepalm: JB!!!

Rey
10-30-2010, 08:11 PM
In other news, Matt Schaub plans on getting after the Colts.

brakos82
10-30-2010, 08:11 PM
oops... fingers flying while watching tv is my only excuse

:kubepalm: JB!!!

Monk? :mariopalm:

TheRealJoker
10-30-2010, 08:39 PM
First play: Play action to Foster and hit one of our many targets for a Texans first down.

JB
10-30-2010, 08:50 PM
First play: Play action to Foster and hit one of our many targets for a Texans first down.

remember the first play of the Seattle game last year?

brakos82
10-30-2010, 08:52 PM
remember the first play of the Seattle game last year?

Yeah, and a third of my family's Seattle fans. :uchicken:

JB
10-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Yeah, and a third of my family's Seattle fans. :uchicken:

Must of been sweet! Did you have to point out that AJ is a BEAST!!!?

Hardcore Texan
10-30-2010, 10:00 PM

No shiyiat! Pick your poison biznitches!

JB
10-30-2010, 10:04 PM
No shiyiat! Pick your poison biznitches!

I love that word!!!

brakos82
10-30-2010, 10:11 PM
Must of been sweet! Did you have to point out that AJ is a BEAST!!!?

No, I think they got it after that.

Norg
10-30-2010, 10:51 PM
thats cool yall can forget all about #80 and let him burn u for Sevens

and TBO i think they will see some Ward and slaton has well SLaton usually has pretty good games aganist the colts

MEGA SWATT
10-30-2010, 11:01 PM
Colts are all talk until they prove they can stop the run-Foster!:bravo:

fiasco west
10-31-2010, 03:44 AM
"To be honest with you, when you look at that game, we weren't playing our defense," Colts defensive tackle Dan Muir said. "Our defense is fast and we run. That's what we've got to get to this week. Coming out there, just run. You make a mistake, just run. We do that, we should be fine.

Yep, you'll be running, but Foster will be running faster so I don't see how running will help.

CloakNNNdagger
10-31-2010, 07:17 AM
I think we'll see a distinct improvement seeing that we'll fortunately be facing a 4-3 D....................a Colts 4-3....................a relatively weak 4-3.............THERE IS HOPE....................

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n163/paintballreaper9/weakling.jpg

COLTS HEAD D-LINE STRENGTH COACH

THROUGHOUT THE BYE BREAK, THE COLTS D STRENGTH COACH HAS PUT THE LINE THROUGHT THE MILL.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg38/huntoo/msgraphics/h/hp625819.jpg

Lucky
10-31-2010, 07:32 AM
The Texans have run the ball well on the Colts, in the Kubiak era. Both of the Texans wins vs. Indy featured big games by the RBs. Slaton had a huge game in '08, in a losing cause. The problem has been getting down early and having to abandon the run.

Whether it's just the lack of size on the Colts defensive front, or something fundamental in their scheme, Indy has had problems with the Kubiak/Gibbs zone runs. I think it's a combination of both. The key to exploiting this weakness is not getting behind 3 scores in the 1st half. The Texans must come out aggressive on offense and put points up. And, the defense has to get some stops. Basically, a good start keeps the running game in play. And that keeps the ball out of #18's hands.

CloakNNNdagger
10-31-2010, 07:43 AM
The Texans have run the ball well on the Colts, in the Kubiak era. Both of the Texans wins vs. Indy featured big games by the RBs. Slaton had a huge game in '08, in a losing cause. The problem has been getting down early and having to abandon the run.

Whether it's just the lack of size on the Colts defensive front, or something fundamental in their scheme, Indy has had problems with the Kubiak/Gibbs zone runs. I think it's a combination of both. The key to exploiting this weakness is not getting behind 3 scores in the 1st half. The Texans must come out aggressive on offense and put points up. And, the defense has to get some stops. Basically, a good start keeps the running game in play. And that keeps the ball out of #18's hands.

I think you have summarized the most important key to a win.

Goatcheese
10-31-2010, 07:49 AM
And that keeps the ball out of #18's hands.

I would do anything to keep the ball out of Sage's hands against the Colts. :kubepalm:

hradhak
10-31-2010, 10:10 AM
It would be even more disheartening to the Colts defense if they expected us to run, and we still run it for 6 ypc. The Colts have to know that they can't stack the box since we're a scary pass team. Our O line has to pass block well, and I expect OD will have a big game.

MEGA SWATT
10-31-2010, 10:35 AM
It would be even more disheartening to the Colts defense if they expected us to run, and we still run it for 6 ypc. The Colts have to know that they can't stack the box since we're a scary pass team. Our O line has to pass block well, and I expect OD will have a big game.

Yeah, they know what we are going to do and still can't stop it.

Our best defense will be keeping our offense on the field chewing up clock and scoring...ie keeping manning as a spectator!

TheRealJoker
10-31-2010, 10:51 AM
Do y'all think the Colts will stack the box and force Schaub to beat them with his arm? It sounds so weird saying that!!!

GP
10-31-2010, 10:52 AM

The games where our running game has been a bit of a FAIL is playig the NFC East teams who have monster d-linemen that can't be handled by our blockers.

The Colts say "We're fast. We can run..." but that's the very focal point of WHY they get beat by Foster. As a defense, you're going to get pushed out of the play by our blockers if you can't control our blockers at the snap. There's too much movement by our blockers, and then you've got Foster who is shifty in his cuts AND very fast whereby he can hit that extra gear in an instant.

I hope they are still dreaming of how Foster won't run over them, because they are in denial and they're going to get gashed early in the game...and it will deflate their whole mindset from that point forward.

We have to score on our first possession, get the run game and the play-action going, and things will be OK.

Plus, we have Derrick Ward now. Put Foster & Ward together in the same backfield on as many plays as you can, and run Ward at them...let's see how they handle THAT. Go ahead and key on Foster, suckers.

TheMatrix31
11-01-2010, 04:48 AM
If they stop the run, we need to go with screens to Foster and Slaton.

HOU-TEX
11-01-2010, 08:41 AM
I think the Giants laid the blueprint for whipping our run game's ass. Let's just hope the Colts don't have personel that can accomplish what the Giants were able to.

mootini
11-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Colts Defense will do nothing vs. run. And, If they allow one on one/WR's, that plays into the Texans WR core = a lot of highlights. You guys are lucky Clark is out for the year...Manning's go to guys are slowing disappearing this season. Puts more pressure on Manning = picks.

Texan_Bill
11-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Okay Colts, stop the run (if you can).... Two words: Andre Johnson!

jaayteetx
11-01-2010, 10:44 AM
If they stop the run, we need to go with screens to Foster and Ward.

Fixed it for ya.

Double Barrel
11-01-2010, 11:21 AM
I'd really like this to be the game that we see a lot of Curtis Painter playing QB after Mario blindsides Manning early in the first quarter.

drewmar74
11-01-2010, 11:35 AM
i'd really like this to be the game that we see a lot of curtis painter playing qb after mario blindsides manning early in the first quarter.

^this^

JWarren14
11-01-2010, 11:37 AM
That's kind of like our D saying "Yeah we are going to stop the pass, they ain't going to run by me!"

The game will come down to which defense walks the walk. I have a feeling we will have 1 or 2 big special teams plays, hopefully a turnover and a JJ return for 6, that will turn the momentum in our favor.

We have always played the Colts close, we HAVE to get it going early to get the crowd out of it and just keep picking up first downs and chewing clock. I wouldn't mind runs and quick passes for 4-5 yards keeping the Colts pass-rush at bay and burning that clock.

Need a big game from our DLine again as well, we don't need sacks we just need some pressure!

Blake
11-01-2010, 11:41 AM
IndyStar: Colts plan to get after Foster.

THIS JUST IN! BREAKING NEWS!!!

NFL defenses are now going to start game planning to stop the offense from running and passing the ball!

Thanks INDYSTAR!!!

Norg
11-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Owen should have a monster game with Colts stacking the box he should be open most of the game

what other TE will be active this game

i wonder if Garret will finaly get some play time or casey prob not

Man it would have been really great to see what Ben tate could have done for us this season

we would have 3 pairs of legs to run

El Tejano
11-01-2010, 11:56 AM
The thing to remember is that Indy never stopped our passing game. Arian Foster did. If they are going to make Schaub play early, then they are going to be asking for it. Andre Johnson is healthy and understanding what he has to do today, and not any of Indy's CB will be able to stop him.

Duane Brown, we are needing you today.

TimeKiller
11-01-2010, 12:20 PM
I don't think they can do it. I mean, you think they didn't figure out that the Texans were going run heavy last game? They knew it was coming and they didn't/couldn't stop it. This game? They know it even moreso, it's gonna be the guy who put his name in franchise record books last time out. Go ahead and load up on Foster and leave AJ/OD/Schaub with single coverage and space to throw. Or load up on them and leave bigger creases to run through for Foster. Or...I don't know...maybe the Colts' D should just pray and play?

Texan_Bill
11-01-2010, 12:24 PM
I think the Giants laid the blueprint for whipping our run game's ass. Let's just hope the Colts don't have personel that can accomplish what the Giants were able to.

They don't! Freeney is a one trick pony and their secondary is hurting.

CloakNNNdagger
11-01-2010, 01:04 PM

They also don't carry rhinoceros-like 3-4 Dlinemen.

mootini
11-01-2010, 01:34 PM

Exactly...their defense is bad. Take advantage. Yeah, they will be at home tonight on the turf, but the injuries have piled up, since you guys played them in week 1. I still like your chances...I picked you guys this week to win...I need this one for my pick em's

Seņor Stan
11-01-2010, 02:06 PM
I'd really like this to be the game that we see a lot of Curtis Painter playing QB after Mario blindsides Manning early in the first quarter.

Right between the 1 and the 8 and just below the two Ns.

Whip. Lash.