PDA

View Full Version : AP: McNair ordered "Sweep" of locker room

valleytexfan
10-29-2010, 05:03 PM
By CHRIS DUNCAN
AP Sports Writer
HOUSTON (AP) _ Houston Texans owner Bob McNair ordered a sweep of the locker room to make sure none of his players are using banned substances.
USA Today first reported the Texans had staff members remove any products from lockers that are not approved by the NFL. Two of Houston's players _ left tackle Duane Brown and linebacker Brian Cushing _ served four-game suspensions for different violations of the league's policy on banned substances.
McNair says Friday he wanted to take a step to provide a ``deterrent'' for future violations. He says the Texans have the right to control players while they're in the team's facilities.
Brown will return from his suspension when the Texans (4-2) play at Indianapolis (4-2) on Monday night. Cushing sat out Houston's first four games.

THOUGHTS??

Texas T
10-29-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm betting that if someone is using they are not doing it in/near the locker room.
I'm not sure how much this does except give them some props for trying to ensure the team is clean.

Goatcheese
10-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Sounds like a smart step. The list of banned substances in the NFL is 3 feet long. If I were him I would ask the players to run everything they take by the team's experts to insure they don't "accidentally" take anything they're not supposed to.

Rey
10-29-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm hoping someone else isn't about to come down with a suspension...

Thorn
10-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Sounds like a smart step. The list of banned substances in the NFL is 3 feet long. If I were him I would ask the players to run everything they take by the team's experts to insure they don't "accidentally" take anything they're not supposed to.

I've never understood the concept of going against company rules. If you want a job, follow the rules, else go elsewhere for a job. If not, you get what you get. If a player wants to take something, there is no reason why they can't run it past management first to make sure it's OK. I just don't understand, I really don't.

Big Lou
10-29-2010, 05:15 PM

Yeh that's what this smells like to me. Why wouldn't this have come down right after the Duane Brown thing.

Was this sweep just recently?

This scares the crap out of me with the timing!!!!!

I think Turk's been juicing............. :smiliepalm:

Stemp
10-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Yeh that's what this smells like to me. Why wouldn't this have come down right after the Duane Brown thing.

It may be that they were double checking the legality of it under the rules with the NFLPA.

BullNation4Life
10-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Well, at least the players now know the owner is watching....

Would that make McNair a Watchmen?

By Day...

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID778/images/robert-mcnair.jpg

But By Night...

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/WFCM-00096.jpg

wagonhed
10-29-2010, 06:12 PM
Kinda gives me the creeps.... I remember barracks sweeps too well.

I'm hoping he gave players a heads up about this and then is doing it for PR.

CloakNNNdagger
10-29-2010, 06:32 PM

They are already supposed to do this.

texansdrummer
10-29-2010, 06:43 PM

Doubtful - the sweep was a month ago. More likely a reaction to DB's (and Cushing's) situations.

CloakNNNdagger
10-29-2010, 06:45 PM

A "sweep," for me, makes for a very suspicious air that "someone" is suspect in following "the rules."

BTW, the locker room is the logical place to "load up" as you need it during long practices. Also keep in mind that banned supplements can easily be replaced in NFL-approved benign-labeled supplement bottles. Unfortunately, as I have found out to be the case with criminals and addicts, things are not always as they seem. If there is a reason to hide........look inside.:tiphat:

JB
10-29-2010, 07:04 PM
I believe this could very well be a move orchestrated by the NFL. Houston had two high profile players suspended recently, and the move makes sense.

As far as giving notice, that would defeat the purpose would it not? The players should know it is a possibility at any time. Just like a student in high school, or if you rent a locker in the train station.

Cloak brings up a very good point though. It would be nice if they took samples of any supplement that they themselves did not issue. But then again, without total control of it, nothing is for sure.

Texan_Bill
10-29-2010, 07:11 PM

Dude, that was the first thing that was going through my brain as I was reading the OP... :eek: I hope not!!

ChampionTexan
10-29-2010, 07:16 PM
A bit of the thought process that led up to this, and if you're inclined to buy it, perhaps some hope that it's not a precursor to another suspension...

"We were discussing Duane's situation, which was different from Brian's, to see what we could do to try to prevent a recurrence," McNair told John McClain of the Houston Chronicle. "We have control of the players while they're at our facility, but when they go home, you don't know what they might do.

"We're trying to do everything we possibly can do to avoid a recurrence of somebody using a product that has something in it they were unaware of. We concluded that one thing we could do was to go through the locker room and make sure players are using products approved by one of the [NFL-approved] manufacturers. . . . I asked [G.M.] Rick [Smith] to do that, and he did."

link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/29/texans-sweep-locker-room-for-banned-substances/)

Hervoyel
10-29-2010, 07:44 PM

My first thought. Unless they've heard something this seems like a strange move coming so far after the fact. It makes me wonder if somebody is about to get suspended for four games.

If that happens I don't know how the Texans escape the label "Stupidest Team in Football".

ChampionTexan
10-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Doubtful - the sweep was a month ago. More likely a reaction to DB's (and Cushing's) situations.

Got a link to anything verifying the timeframe?

CloakNNNdagger
10-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Everybody can keep worrying!

Over the years, McNair said players have received countless warnings about PEDs and the league's policy from coach Gary Kubiak, general manager Rick Smith, team trainers and the team nutritionist.

Even so, McNair said the locker room sweep turned up some products that could include banned substances. He wouldn't identify the players or substances involved in the cases -- and there are no other known cases pending with the league regarding violations of the policy.
LINK (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/10/texans-institute-clean-sweep-on-locker-room-supplements/1)

CloakNNNdagger
10-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Got a link to anything verifying the timeframe?

A team spokesman said the sweep took place about a month ago. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the sweep "is a club matter."
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2010-10-29/texans-owner-ordered-locker-room-sweep-for-banned-substances

Rey
10-29-2010, 08:27 PM

Over the years, McNair said players have received countless warnings about PEDs and the league's policy from coach Gary Kubiak, general manager Rick Smith, team trainers and the team nutritionist.

Even so, McNair said the locker room sweep turned up some products that could include banned substances. He wouldn't identify the players or substances involved in the cases -- and there are no other known cases pending with the league regarding violations of the policy.

LINK (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/10/texans-institute-clean-sweep-on-locker-room-supplements/1)

Wow....

How dumb or careless do you have to be as a player to still be doing stuff like that?

ChampionTexan
10-29-2010, 09:02 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2010-10-29/texans-owner-ordered-locker-room-sweep-for-banned-substances

Must spread rep, but thanks for the info.

kiwitexansfan
10-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Hi, I'm Bob McNair, and I think my team cheat. I also wanted to destroy all goodwill between myself and my team. Have a nice day.

drewmar74
10-29-2010, 10:47 PM

Okay, if you did find something that could be banned.... why would you say anything and not just keep it in house? :facepalm:

My answer: Nah, we didn't find anything. We all learned our lesson here! Bunch of Boy Scouts! :whistle:

NitroGSXR
10-29-2010, 10:50 PM
Hi, I'm Bob McNair, and I think my team cheat. I also wanted to destroy all goodwill between myself and my team. Have a nice day.

Cushng and Brown ruined it for everybody yet McNair gets jobbed.

What's a fan to do?

Wolf6151
10-30-2010, 02:30 AM
I have no problem with this preemptive search but I question the timing. Why didn't they do this last week instead of a couple days before their next game. If they'd done this last week players would have gotten over it by now.

False Start
10-30-2010, 06:47 AM
I hope they didn't take any of the kick the Colts ass drugs out of the player's locker's. :texflag:

ChampionTexan
10-30-2010, 07:49 AM
I have no problem with this preemptive search but I question the timing. Why didn't they do this last week instead of a couple days before their next game. If they'd done this last week players would have gotten over it by now.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1564781&postcount=19

CloakNNNdagger
10-30-2010, 09:02 AM
Okay, if you did find something that could be banned.... why would you say anything and not just keep it in house? :facepalm:

My answer: Nah, we didn't find anything. We all learned our lesson here! Bunch of Boy Scouts! :whistle:

They couldn't keep it in house. They opened up one of the double-wide lockers and found John McLame hiding with a recorder hanging around his neck, a cell camera in one hand......................and a donut in the other.:tiphat:

False Start
10-30-2010, 09:28 AM
They couldn't keep it in house. They opened up one of the double-wide lockers and found John McLame hiding with a recorder hanging around his neck, a cell camera in one hand......................and a donut in the other.:tiphat:

When discovered his first words were, "Anna Megan Raley!"

Brando
10-30-2010, 11:20 AM
RESULTS OF TEXANS LOCKER SEARCH JUST RELEASED..."We found 2 cans of David Carr hair wax, 6 boxes of Frenchy's chicken (some fool left it), 1 magazine article on "how to defense the passing game" (not yet read) 3 autographed photos of N.D. Kalu, A memo from the commissioner stating "this hit to the head thing will pass, just go with me on this for a couple of more weeks"

lol

The Cush
10-30-2010, 11:28 AM
From ESPN AFC South's blog..

The Houston Texans searched lockers in an effort to unearth unapproved supplements that could lead to suspensions under the leagueís rules against performance-enhancing drugs.

I understand the level of their concerns as they lost both linebacker Brian Cushing and left tackle Duane Brown for four-game suspensions under the policy this season.

The way they went about things seems clumsy though, and created a situation where players could feel their bosses didnít trust them and invaded their privacy.

Brown didnít have an issue with it.

"Whatever you decide to bring into this stadium, whatever you decide to have in your locker, I feel like they have a right to know," Brown said. "There are a lot of things out there where you feel like it's perfectly fine. Some things you could be taking, you could've taken for a while, and it can just come up one time and get you.

"I think they have the right to do that."

I tend to agree, but itís still a delicate matter.

Others who might have problems with the procedure are unlikely to speak up against their bosses. Iím shocked the NFLPA didnít respond immediately. Minimally, DeMaurice Smith should have said the union is looking into it and has concerns about whether privacy issues were violated.

I would think team officials could have gone through lockers with players present, explaining what they were trying to do and getting the same results without leaving any room for issues regarding trust and privacy.

Someone with the Texans told me this happened a while ago and was not as big a deal as is being portrayed. He said the team's strong union presence didn't raise it as an issue. It was intended to clean out any non-approved supplements and wasn't some big clandestine sweep of the players' dwelling places, he said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/17190/texans-locker-searches-were-clumsy

CloakNNNdagger
10-30-2010, 12:35 PM
From ESPN AFC South's blog..

Someone with the Texans told me this happened a while ago and was not as big a deal as is being portrayed. He said the team's strong union presence didn't raise it as an issue. It was intended to clean out any non-approved supplements and wasn't some big clandestine sweep of the players' dwelling places, he said.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/17190/texans-locker-searches-were-clumsy

Sorry, but I don't buy that take. If "it was intended to clean out any non-approved supplements and wasn't some big clandestine sweep of the players' dwelling places," they would have requested and trusted the players to bring them all of their locker supplements for simple review of "appropriateness" in the first place.

http://www.xtremerealitycheck.com/files/reality_check2.gif

Wolf
10-30-2010, 12:45 PM
I don't have a problem with it.. I have a locker at work(and it does have a lock provided by the company) and basically the company can search it at any time they want.

The lockers are their property

I wouldn't see why the players would mind. It isn't like the Texans are going to the players house and or car and searching..It is protection for them and for the Texans. Easiest thing would be for the players to use the supplements that the NFL has approved of.

CloakNNNdagger
10-30-2010, 01:41 PM
I don't have a problem with it.. I have a locker at work(and it does have a lock provided by the company) and basically the company can search it at any time they want.

The lockers are their property

I wouldn't see why the players would mind. It isn't like the Texans are going to the players house and or car and searching..It is protection for them and for the Texans. Easiest thing would be for the players to use the supplements that the NFL has approved of.

Wolf,

Just curious. Does your company policy (which you would have to sign) give that right to your employer to enter your locker? And is the lock on the locker yours, with your employer having a key or combination to it?

Wolf
10-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Wolf,

Just curious. Does your company policy (which you would have to sign) give that right to your employer to enter your locker? And is the lock on the locker yours, with your employer having a key or combination to it?

they give us a lock and hr manager keeps your locker number and the lock combination. (esp if you forget your combination) and the list is locked up so no one can get to it except managers

they tell us if they are going to go through the lockers though, some people keep cell phones and purses etc...

CloakNNNdagger
10-31-2010, 07:41 AM
As we learn more, this so-called "SWEEP" is turning out to be a real joke..........and now calls into question the true purpose and genuity behind this whole move. As if we haven't already been made somewhat of a laughing stock of the league as far as the PED problem......and how we've handled it.

Texans' locker room "sweep" didn't include locker search (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/30/texans-locker-room-sweep-didnt-include-locker-search/)
Posted by Mike Florio on October 30, 2010 9:42 PM ET

On Friday, Jarrett Bell of USA Today reported that the Texans have conducted a "sweep" of the locker room in search of banned substances.

More specifically, the Texans want to eradicate from the premises any substances other than league-authorized supplements.

The term "sweep" implies a nook-and-cranny process that includes searching lockers. The relevant quote from owner Bob McNair to Bell also suggests that the effort extended more broadly than the items residing in plain view.

"We've gone through the locker room and anything that wasn't manufactured by the two or three that are authorized are thrown out," McNair said. "They can't have it in the locker room at all. Even though it might be something that's pretty innocuous, you just can't run that risk. You just don't know what's in some of these products."

Peter King of NBC reported during halftime of the Tulsa-Notre Dame game that, according to Texans G.M. Rick Smith, the lockers weren't searched.

It's wise that the Texans didn't search lockers. At a time when the relationship between the league and the NFLPA falls somewhere on the overt animosity scale between Favre-Childress and Hatfield-McCoy, no team should do anything that could stir up the union.

Still, without a search of the lockers, how effective could the "sweep" have been?

The move also potentially cuts off one of the time-honored excuses relied upon by players who test positive for banned substances: "I took an over-the-counter supplement that had been spiked."

Or maybe not. Since there's no way of knowing what guys take on their own time or store in the privacy of their own lockers, the effort is more ceremonial than substantive.

Rey
10-31-2010, 02:21 PM
As we learn more, this so-called "SWEEP" is turning out to be a real joke..........and now calls into question the true purpose and genuity behind this whole move. As if we haven't already been made somewhat of a laughing stock of the league as far as the PED problem......and how we've handled it.

Texans' locker room "sweep" didn't include locker search (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/30/texans-locker-room-sweep-didnt-include-locker-search/)
Posted by Mike Florio on October 30, 2010 9:42 PM ET

I really don't understand how you could be a player in the NFL and still be taking chances like this...

The owner shouldn't have to order any sweep of any locker room...

They are grown...take responsibility...

HJam72
10-31-2010, 04:08 PM
So, what did they do with all of the women's undergarments?

ObsiWan
10-31-2010, 04:31 PM
Wolf,

I don't know about Wolf, but where I work, your desk and your computer (we don't have lockers) actually belong to the company. They can go through them any time they think they have just cause. Also, we go through a security checkpoint at the entry gates and they can (and do) stop random cars and conduct searches on your way in or out from the job.

CloakNNNdagger
10-31-2010, 06:35 PM
I don't know about Wolf, but where I work, your desk and your computer (we don't have lockers) actually belong to the company. They can go through them any time they think they have just cause. Also, we go through a security checkpoint at the entry gates and they can (and do) stop random cars and conduct searches on your way in or out from the job.

The reason I even asked is that Texas law requires that if your employer is to have the right to look in your locker, in your purse or on-grounds vehicle, it needs to be written into your employment policy.

texansdrummer
10-31-2010, 08:06 PM

If I'm on the team, and busting my ass the "right" way, I would appreciate this effort, although arguably it's likely ineffective. I would be pleased to know that I was playing for an owner who was serious about preventing any potential idiots from ruining my hard work.

Yankee_In_TX
10-31-2010, 08:32 PM
Just because banned substances showed up doesn't necessarily mean PED. Could just mean some folks ignored the warnings and took the supplements their business partners/friends/personal trainers told them to.

I've heard that players think team doctors and trainers are second rate to those the players hire themselves.

badboy
11-01-2010, 10:39 AM
"I support Brian Cushing and he is just a work- out fatigued athlete. I am behind him 100%. Hey Brian! Bend over and spread those cheeks! Anything up there better be approved by the NFL and your mom".