PDA

View Full Version : Jacoby Jones is our kick returner! Take that Slaton

HouSportsWriter
10-28-2010, 06:37 PM
http://www.battleredblog.com/2010/10/28/1780115/kubiak-good-chance-jacoby-jones-sees-reps-at-kick-returner

After today's practice, Coach Gary Kubiak said that WR/PR Jacoby Jones has a good chance to see reps as a kick returner this Monday

Lets hope he sparks our offence!

my name should be Arianisabeast or AIAB

there was a little tidbit on jacoby on abc13 like five minutes ago

Carr Bombed
10-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Why did it take so long?

Rey
10-28-2010, 06:42 PM
I don't know if Slaton is playing or not, but earlier in the week they said it wasn't likely or something...

Death in the family...

I wouldn't expect this to be a full time move...

HouSportsWriter
10-28-2010, 06:43 PM
I don't know if Slaton is playing or not, but earlier in the week they said it wasn't likely or something...

Death in the family...

on the news it said it was a full time move and jacoby is takeing all reps

False Start
10-28-2010, 06:44 PM
http://www.battleredblog.com/2010/10/28/1780115/kubiak-good-chance-jacoby-jones-sees-reps-at-kick-returner

After today's practice, Coach Gary Kubiak said that WR/PR Jacoby Jones has a good chance to see reps as a kick returner this Monday

Might as well, Slaton is just not getting the job done.

That sounds like a bank, or insurance company, lol.

Texanmike02
10-28-2010, 06:45 PM
OK with this development, why didn't we trade Slaton before the deadline. At this point with Foster and Ward, what in the world is Slaton's role? Is he the 3rd HB? If he is, we could have easily gotten a backup CB for him... heck even a draft pick... He has ZERO role on this team at this point. Foster is faster and more shifty than we thought... and Ward is reliable... I know you want to have 3rb's and it would be nice to have an alternative but we're having trouble fielding a full defensive backfield... we should have taken a flier on someone to help in the secondary.. JMHO!

Mike

Hardcore Texan
10-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Problem is that JJ is not a very good KR. He rocks at PR, but KR not so much.

HouSportsWriter
10-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Problem is that JJ is not a very good KR. He rocks at PR, but KR not so much.

but..he can atleast get to the 20 for crying out loud

gary
10-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Leach could carry the football on a limited amount of plays if needed.

mokalus
10-28-2010, 07:02 PM
So Kubiak CAN make adjustments! Oh happy day!

:boogie:

J_R
10-28-2010, 07:04 PM
OK with this development, why didn't we trade Slaton before the deadline. At this point with Foster and Ward, what in the world is Slaton's role? Is he the 3rd HB? If he is, we could have easily gotten a backup CB for him... heck even a draft pick... He has ZERO role on this team at this point. Foster is faster and more shifty than we thought... and Ward is reliable... I know you want to have 3rb's and it would be nice to have an alternative but we're having trouble fielding a full defensive backfield... we should have taken a flier on someone to help in the secondary.. JMHO!

Mike

What in the world is Slaton's role?

He has no role here now. He is the 3rd RB(dont confuse that with 3rd down RB) behind Foster and Ward. And now appears to be overtaken at KR.

Corrosion
10-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Slaton has been horrible returning kicks so far , he let the ball hit the turf in three consecutive games and made a boneheaded mistake in another .... Its well past time for a change at that position. Hell , I'd rather have David Anderson back there than Slaton .... and JJ has the potential to take it to the house every time he touches the ball.

TheMatrix31
10-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Good news. A return TD would be HUGE against Indy. Field position is always critical.

CloakNNNdagger
10-28-2010, 07:21 PM
With OD back, JJ has been used very sparingly. This will make good use of a heretofore relatively dormant player. Despite being used as both a KR and PR, he should be that much more effective/explosive due to the fact that he should be well rested through most of the game.

thunderkyss
10-28-2010, 08:11 PM
He has no role here now. He is the 3rd RB(dont confuse that with 3rd down RB) behind Foster and Ward. And now appears to be overtaken at KR.

Ten games left in the season, & you want to dump our third running back.

Sweet.

J_R
10-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Ten games left in the season, & you want to dump our third running back.

Sweet.

Who said dump him? Maybe you misunderstood. I said he has no role on this team right now. He is a bench warmer. Unless there is injury or fatigue, Slaton will not see the field.

Texan_Bill
10-28-2010, 08:24 PM
I'm just gonna throw this out there (and I'm not championing Steve Slaton, by any stretch) but the new rules on Kick-off returns are hurting a lot of returners! No more "wedge" has had an impact in the league.

That said, I think Jacoby is just more athletic and is a better choice!! I do NOT advocate getting rid of Slaton because he brings a little something to the table. Has he disappointed since his rookie season? YES!! I'm just not ready to give him up just yet........... Well unless he was used in a trade that netted us much more.. :)

Rey
10-28-2010, 08:28 PM
on the news it said it was a full time move and jacoby is takeing all reps

That seems to contradict what Gary himself said, which is what you quoted in your original post.

I would not be shocked if Jacoby takes over if he is more successful, but I am not sure that is the intent at this point..

machineo
10-28-2010, 09:51 PM
You would think with how heralded Joe Marciano is as an ST coordinator, they'd have make this move a long time ago. Starting from the 15 yard line and penalties every other kickoff should put any coordinator on alert.

Carr Bombed
10-28-2010, 09:58 PM
You would think with how heralded Joe Marciano is as an ST coordinator, they'd have make this move a long time ago. Starting from the 15 yard line and penalties every other kickoff should put any coordinator on alert.

I'm pretty sure the move had nothing to do with Marciano (Seriously, if Marciano could pick from the entire pool of players on this team, Andre would be fielding kicks)...and more to do with Kubiak, who felt Jacoby would play a bigger role in the offense this season...since he's not, (and with Slaton's horrible play) he's now available for more STs play. Marciano isn't a dummy, I'm pretty sure everybody down on fannin knew Jacoby was the best kick returner on the team.

steelbtexan
10-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Atleast we wont have the pleasure of watching Okam getting holding calls on the KO returns any more.

The KO return team has no where to go but up. From this point on. IMHO

Texecutioner
10-29-2010, 12:06 AM

there was a little tidbit on jacoby on abc13 like five minutes ago

Don't really know why you had to add the whole "take that Slaton" to the title. I'd think that a guy that liked Slaton so much that he named his screen name after him wouldn't trash him like that, but that's just me. It's not like Slaton is trying to play horribly. He's out there trying but he's just failing miserably. Maybe he just had a major over achievement in his rookie year. Not trying to jump your post really, but I just thought that was a little harsh especially when Jacoby's been a huge mistake prone guy at KR as well.

Thorn
10-29-2010, 07:49 AM
That said, I think Jacoby is just more athletic and is a better choice!! I do NOT advocate getting rid of Slaton because he brings a little something to the table. Has he disappointed since his rookie season? YES!! I'm just not ready to give him up just yet........... Well unless he was used in a trade that netted us much more.. :)

Exactly what I'm thinking to the word. Good post there Mr. Bill. :)

beerlover
10-29-2010, 09:14 AM
Slaton was returner because Jacoby had durability issues. kick-offs are high impact plays, think Slaton will return soon.

badboy
10-29-2010, 10:16 AM
I do not think Slaton has been used as a RB according to his strengths since he has been a Texan. I am probably the only one but I think this is prime example of coach mistake. Fumbling is on Steve, but sending him up the middle is stoopid!

HOU-TEX
10-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Exactly what I'm thinking to the word. Good post there Mr. Bill. :)

Sorry, it was the first thought I had when I read that. Kind old school, but always cracked me up

http://zomopro.com/images/mr-bill.jpg

Blake
10-29-2010, 11:04 AM
We should be able to run the football against the Colts BIG TIME with our 3 headed monster of Foster/Ward/Slaton.

Slaton just isnt a good kick returner. Not gonna rake him over the coals for that. He just needs to contribute as much as possible when he does see the field.

I think Schaub will have another 150 yard 1 TD game with these three guys toting the rock.

http://blog.eastbay.com/shoes/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/nfl-player-of-the-week-1-arian-foster-houston-texans-02.jpg

mokalus
10-29-2010, 11:36 AM
I do not think Slaton has been used as a RB according to his strengths since he has been a Texan. I am probably the only one but I think this is prime example of coach mistake. Fumbling is on Steve, but sending him up the middle is stoopid!

I agree. The team needs to find more creative ways to use him because he obviously has the speed and talent to contribute, but he's not an every-down RB or a KO returner.

IMO, Slaton should be used more for screens and draw plays. Also, I'd be interested to see him get some reps in the slot. I think he has better hands than Jacoby and also a greater ability to run after the catch (ie, make one defender miss, unlike what Jacoby has been able to do thus far).

In essence, try switching him and Jacoby for a bit!

hradhak
10-29-2010, 12:14 PM
I think his usefulness is dwindling by the week. With that being said though, if he's on the roster, we should find uses for him. He has talent, and he has the ability to be effective. I think he just isn't better than 3 on the depth chart. Get him running out into the flat and catching passes. But for god sake's don't let him return kicks.

Goldensilence
10-29-2010, 12:24 PM

Always thought he ran up the middle tough but, he was much better suited trying to get outside and turn the corner. Kubiak is prone to keep on trying to push square objects into round holes. He's also makes roster decisions at a glacial speed.

I never advocated trading Slaton away unless we got something equal in return. It's also not a bad thing to be 3 deep at RB.

DexmanC
10-29-2010, 12:34 PM

They've not thrown the ball to Slaton in the slot, on a screen, nor in the
flats, AT ALL this season. Hell, if he's used properly, Slaton is STILL
a great weapon!

infantrycak
10-29-2010, 01:15 PM

Yeah. Smaller RBs should never run up the middle.

Signed,

Chris Johnson

lostboy
10-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Like said previously, Slaton is insurance this year behind Foster and Ward.

But, imho next year with Foster, Ward and Tate, Slaton become trade bait.

ChampionTexan
10-29-2010, 01:37 PM

Signed,

Chris Johnson

As I recall, one of the things we were stoked about regarding Slaton during his rookie season was how much better he was between the tackles than Reggie Bush. May have said the same thing (at the time) regarding Chris Johnson too, but since I'm only going by memory, I can't swear to that.

Things have changed regarding both Slaton's performance, and the available talent at RB for the Texans. May not be the best move now - doesn't mean it was stoopid at the time.

badboy
10-29-2010, 02:14 PM
I agree. The team needs to find more creative ways to use him because he obviously has the speed and talent to contribute, but he's not an every-down RB or a KO returner.

IMO, Slaton should be used more for screens and draw plays. Also, I'd be interested to see him get some reps in the slot. I think he has better hands than Jacoby and also a greater ability to run after the catch (ie, make one defender miss, unlike what Jacoby has been able to do thus far).

In essence, try switching him and Jacoby for a bit!Yes to the screens, draws and end arounds but no to switching with JJ. I want Jones on the field with AJ and Walter; add OD and Slaton and where does the ball go? No one knows.

badboy
10-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Always thought he ran up the middle tough but, he was much better suited trying to get outside and turn the corner. Kubiak is prone to keep on trying to push square objects into round holes. He's also makes roster decisions at a glacial speed.

I never advocated trading Slaton away unless we got something equal in return. It's also not a bad thing to be 3 deep at RB.He does run tough up the middle but hard to hold the rock and that is what we have Ward for. Use Steve's speed like Chris Johnson or Bush.

badboy
10-29-2010, 02:17 PM

Signed,

Chris JohnsonICAK all I can say after we have argued for years is FOSTER! WARD! and probably TATE.

badboy
10-29-2010, 02:20 PM
As I recall, one of the things we were stoked about regarding Slaton during his rookie season was how much better he was between the tackles than Reggie Bush. May have said the same thing (at the time) regarding Chris Johnson too, but since I'm only going by memory, I can't swear to that.

Things have changed regarding both Slaton's performance, and the available talent at RB for the Texans. May not be the best move now - doesn't mean it was stoopid at the time.You are correct. No one including coaches thought Slaton would be used much between the tackles. His speed was his skill set. I am not saying he can't go through the middle but that he should not very often.

TimeKiller
10-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Yeah. Smaller RBs should never run up the middle unless they have a badass OL and 4.24 speed like me.

Signed,

Chris Johnson

Differences in red.

Thorn
10-29-2010, 03:38 PM
Slaton is not Chris Johnson, nor even close. But that doesn't mean he isn't good and isn't being used effectively right now. Which I don't think he is. Also Slaton isn't what he once was, but I'll take him over some of the others that have come to us through the history of the Texans.

I'll wait on Tate. I have a feeling that Foster, Ward and Tate all three won't be on our roster next year. If they are, then good for us. But I just don't see any way that Foster, Ward, Tate AND Slaton are all here on the roster next year. One of the four of them will be gone, and I'll be the one that is gone is either Ward or Slaton. Foster and Tate will be back. If it was up to me Slaton would be to one to go. I like Ward a lot, and having Foster, Ward and Tate as our RBs gives a real heads us if the league expands past 16 regular season games. Which, by the way, I'm against.

badboy
10-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Slaton is not Chris Johnson, nor even close. But that doesn't mean he isn't good and isn't being used effectively right now. Which I don't think he is. Also Slaton isn't what he once was, but I'll take him over some of the others that have come to us through the history of the Texans.

I'll wait on Tate. I have a feeling that Foster, Bell and Tate all three won't be on our roster next year. If they are, then good for us. But I just don't see any way that Foster, Bell, Tate AND Slaton are all here on the roster next year. One of the four of them will be gone, and I'll be the one that is gone is either Bell or Slaton. Foster and Tate will be back. If it was up to me Slaton would be to one to go. I like Bell a lot, and having Foster, Bell and Tate as our RBs gives a real heads us if the league expands past 16 regular season games. Which, by the way, I'm against.I'm thinking Bell (?) will not be on roster next season as he is not on roster this season.

Thorn
10-29-2010, 04:04 PM
I'm thinking Bell (?) will not be on roster next season as he is not on roster this season.

Dammit. I mean Ward. I'll go edit my post. It's hell being old. LOL

SheTexan
10-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Looks like I'll keep my cell phone close by with my finger on 911, cause I'm sure JJ will give me a heart attack before the game is over. I already have a headache from squinting my eyes just thinking about how many potential points we might lose from turnovers, due to JJ. Have we EVER had a top notch KO returner? JJ might be the best we've ever had, and that's not a good stat. JMO!

infantrycak
10-29-2010, 05:34 PM
Looks like I'll keep my cell phone close by with my finger on 911, cause I'm sure JJ will give me a heart attack before the game is over. I already have a headache from squinting my eyes just thinking about how many potential points we might lose from turnovers, due to JJ. Have we EVER had a top notch KO returner? JJ might be the best we've ever had, and that's not a good stat. JMO!

I hope this doesn't jinx things for making me say this but JJ hasn't had a fumble in a full year and hasn't lost one since week 14 of 2008. How long does he have to go before folks stop trotting this out?

Mathis made it to the pro-bowl as our kick returner.

thunderkyss
10-29-2010, 06:52 PM
I hope this doesn't jinx things for making me say this but JJ hasn't had a fumble in a full year and hasn't lost one since week 14 of 2008. How long does he have to go before folks stop trotting this out?

To me, it's about his hands. Last year he looked good, plucking the ball out of the air with his hands. So far this year, other than some key catches, he looks like he's got a couple of bricks on the end of his forearms.

When he stops tipping/dropping balls, I'll probably be calmed when he's fielding punts & Kick-offs. Until then, I know exactly how SheTexan feels.

Rey
10-29-2010, 07:45 PM
To me, it's about his hands. Last year he looked good, plucking the ball out of the air with his hands. So far this year, other than some key catches, he looks like he's got a couple of bricks on the end of his forearms.

When he stops tipping/dropping balls, I'll probably be calmed when he's fielding punts & Kick-offs. Until then, I know exactly how SheTexan feels.

may never happen...

Doesn't he supposedly have small hands?

CloakNNNdagger
10-29-2010, 08:12 PM
Radio 610 reported just a while ago that Slaton was back with the team. Kubiak supposedly said that Slaton will continue to field KRs, while JJ will probably see some play there. Never know what to think.

Rey
10-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Radio 610 reported just a while ago that Slaton was back with the team. Kubiak supposedly said that Slaton will continue to field KRs, while JJ will probably see some play there. Never know what to think.

Death in the family...

That's what I thought would happen...

SheTexan
10-30-2010, 12:20 AM

Wasn't he injured last year? Don't remember him returning all that many. I'm really not trying to diss JJ either. I WANT to believe in him! Lord only knows how much I want the boy to take one to the house!! He just makes me nervous.

As for "trotting" out JJ, or any other player, thats a fav passtime for some members of this board. Drop a pass, fumble a ball, miss a kick, and you're on some fans S list forever. Honestly, we're not a very forgiving bunch!! BUT, that's the life of a football fan! If I wasn't holding my breath when JJ goes back for a KO, I'd be holding my breath, and squinting my eyes, for some other play thats going on. After all, our boys have given us going on NINE years of butterflies in the belly!!!

infantrycak
10-30-2010, 08:45 AM
After all, our boys have given us going on NINE years of butterflies in the belly!!!

True that - always seems to be something.