PDA

View Full Version : Jeremiah Johnson released by Redskins

hookinreds
10-28-2010, 06:04 PM
According to Rotoworld...just making note of the former Texan.

" James Davis will take Jeremiah Johnson's spot on the Redskins practice squad.

That was short-lived, as Johnson was signed less than 12 hours ago. The Redskins evidently like the upside of Davis more than that of Johnson."

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5172

Rey
10-28-2010, 06:19 PM
Since Slaton may not play this next game it may be a good pick up for us...

At least as a practice squad edition...

TimeKiller
10-28-2010, 06:23 PM
How his preseason wasn't enough to warrant a spot here...I just don't know.

CloakNNNdagger
10-28-2010, 07:05 PM
He has probably not rehabbed/recovered from his dislocated toe.

Cush
10-28-2010, 09:34 PM
100% agree timekiller - He played very well when given the opportunity. He has a knack for letting his blockers set up before hitting the hole. At first I thought he wasn't really running at full tilt until I watched a bit more of him and realized he is just more patient than most and probably lacks the burst of a first team back.:jogger:

gary
10-28-2010, 09:39 PM
If his toe is not dislocated anymore I would like to see him resigned by the Texans. And then the Texans cut Slaton.

Carr Bombed
10-28-2010, 10:07 PM
100% agree timekiller - He played very well when given the opportunity. He has a knack for letting his blockers set up before hitting the hole. At first I thought he wasn't really running at full tilt until I watched a bit more of him and realized he is just more patient than most and probably lacks the burst of a first team back.:jogger:

Like Foster, he also ran this zone scheme in college......Oregon is notorious for their zone scheme (which is why I was really high on Unger when he came out), it's the reason why they're starting to turn out good RBs at the next level. (Jonathan Stewart and now LeGarrette Blount in TB...who I still think the Texans should've taken a late round flier on).

During the preseason J. Johnson was easily our second best back and who I think (if healthy) could be signed and step in and be our second best back. Like Foster he gets every yard available and sets up his blocks very well.

We don't know all the details on the toe injury, but if he's healthy I hope we sign him. With that position it only takes one injury to make what was a strength on your team into a weakness. We still have 10 more games to play and if Foster goes down all we have is old man Ward and Steve "Dude, where's my game?" Slaton.

Cush
10-28-2010, 11:56 PM
Didn't know that he went to Oregon and is familiar with our scheme - makes perfect sense that he would look so comfortable in it though.

Hervoyel
10-29-2010, 12:17 AM
I've believed for some time that Jeremiah Johnson will prove to be a "better Steve Slaton". We need to get him back here somehow. With Foster & Ward you have two big guys who can carry the load and Johnson is the perfect guy for that change-of-pace 3rd down role.

TimeKiller
10-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Why the **** did Tate have to go and get himself injured?!?

**** YOU FOOTBALL INJURIES TO ROOKIES AND OTHER IMPORTANT PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

badboy
10-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Like Foster, he also ran this zone scheme in college......Oregon is notorious for their zone scheme (which is why I was really high on Unger when he came out), it's the reason why they're starting to turn out good RBs at the next level. (Jonathan Stewart and now LeGarrette Blount in TB...who I still think the Texans should've taken a late round flier on).

During the preseason J. Johnson was easily our second best back and who I think (if healthy) could be signed and step in and be our second best back. Like Foster he gets every yard available and sets up his blocks very well.

We don't know all the details on the toe injury, but if he's healthy I hope we sign him. With that position it only takes one injury to make what was a strength on your team into a weakness. We still have 10 more games to play and if Foster goes down all we have is old man Ward and Steve "Dude, where's my game?" Slaton.Agreed. If he had not hurt his toe I think he'd be our second back.

thunderkyss
10-29-2010, 06:38 PM
We don't know all the details on the toe injury, but if he's healthy I hope we sign him. With that position it only takes one injury to make what was a strength on your team into a weakness. We still have 10 more games to play and if Foster goes down all we have is old man Ward and Steve "Dude, where's my game?" Slaton.

I agree. If something like that were to happen 8 weeks from now, & we go looking for a RB, and JJ is sitting on his couch, fat from eating Marshmallows all day.... that would suck.

Makes more sense to put him on the PS (I don't believe we have a RB on the PS now) Keep him healthy for the year.

Next year, deal Slaton & decide to resign Ward or move JJ into the rotation.

He's just got the coolest name....

thunderkyss
10-29-2010, 06:42 PM
I've believed for some time that Jeremiah Johnson will prove to be a "better Steve Slaton". We need to get him back here somehow. With Foster & Ward you have two big guys who can carry the load and Johnson is the perfect guy for that change-of-pace 3rd down role.

He's short (5'9") but at 218lbs, there ain't nothing small about him. He's a big back, just like Ward.

I still think he would be a great change of pace back though, because his style is so different from Ward or Foster. The way he uses his blockers, very nice.

gary
10-29-2010, 06:42 PM
Trade Slaton, but what is value right now?

thunderkyss
10-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Trade Slaton, but what is value right now?

We won't be able to trade Slaton until the end of the season anyway, so his value now doesn't matter. He needs to get involved on gameday, break off a few good plays.... sky's the limit, kids got talent.

Texan_Bill
10-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Jeremiah was a bullfrog?

JB
10-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Jeremiah was a bullfrog?

He was a good friend of mine...

CloakNNNdagger
10-29-2010, 09:39 PM
Bullfrogs don't do very well with dislocated toes.:backsout:

Joe Texan
10-29-2010, 09:48 PM
we keep letting slaton return kicks we will ruin his trade value.

JB
10-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Bullfrogs don't do very well with dislocated toes.:backsout:

Pretty good point... :thinking:

thunderkyss
10-29-2010, 10:35 PM
He was a good friend of mine...

I never understood a single word he said....

gary
10-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Hit it everyone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2wutEzjy_E

Texan_Bill
10-29-2010, 11:35 PM
I never understood a single word he said....

Why should you?? It's something amongsts us old poeple that you young ****ers will or never understand!! :)

thunderkyss
10-30-2010, 12:06 AM
Why should you?? It's something amongsts us old poeple that you young ****ers will or never understand!! :)

The proper response would have been

but I helped him drink
his whine.

I guess memory is the first thing to go eh Bill?

edo783
10-30-2010, 12:45 AM
IIRC, other than the toe thing, JJ had an issue picking up blitzers. Something Kubes doesn't take kindly to.

thunderkyss
10-30-2010, 09:14 AM
IIRC, other than the toe thing, JJ had an issue picking up blitzers. Something Kubes doesn't take kindly to.

Even more reason to be on the practice squad. We could be teaching him over the next 5 weeks, in the event we need him 6 weeks from now.

Or we can wait till we need him 6 weeks from now, & he won't be any more ready than he is now.

silvrhand
10-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Even more reason to be on the practice squad. We could be teaching him over the next 5 weeks, in the event we need him 6 weeks from now.

Or we can wait till we need him 6 weeks from now, & he won't be any more ready than he is now.

why are we trying to polish a gem that noone else wants? There are 31 other teams in the NFL would be tearing at this guy if there was something worth having.

ubecool454
10-30-2010, 02:05 PM
How his preseason wasn't enough to warrant a spot here...I just don't know.

I know dats right! But then again...I think I would rather have a proven guy like Derrick Ward.

ubecool454
10-30-2010, 02:06 PM
why are we trying to polish a gem that noone else wants? There are 31 other teams in the NFL would be tearing at this guy if there was something worth having.

I like Steve Slaton but at this point I think J. Johnson can bring more to the table. Steve seems a bit timid now.

ubecool454
10-30-2010, 02:10 PM
: (Jonathan Stewart and now LeGarrette Blount in TB...who I still think the Texans should've taken a late round flier on).

I thought I was the only one that felt this way.

thunderkyss
10-30-2010, 03:36 PM

We have Foster, Ward, Slaton..... 10 games to go. If one of them gets hurt, we're down to two.

You know we're not going to pick up a Cedric Benson or a Larry Johnson mid season. I'd just like to have someone waiting in the wings, that we don't have to coach up, get in shape, or pray that he knows how to pass block.

I don't care, if it's Jerimiah Johnson (love that name) or Joe shmoe... I think we need someone on the PS, getting ready.

jaayteetx
10-30-2010, 03:42 PM

there was 31 other teams who coulda signed Arian Foster off our practice squad last year too, ya never know.

silvrhand
10-31-2010, 12:39 AM
We have Foster, Ward, Slaton..... 10 games to go. If one of them gets hurt, we're down to two.

You know we're not going to pick up a Cedric Benson or a Larry Johnson mid season. I'd just like to have someone waiting in the wings, that we don't have to coach up, get in shape, or pray that he knows how to pass block.

I don't care, if it's Jerimiah Johnson (love that name) or Joe shmoe... I think we need someone on the PS, getting ready.

Uh that can be said about any position on the team, we have what I could consider an above average depth and talent at RB. Why burn another PS slot on someone we have already cut and yet most other teams are passing on.

Rey
10-31-2010, 12:42 AM
Uh that can be said about any position on the team, we have what I could consider an above average depth and talent at RB. Why burn another PS slot on someone we have already cut and yet most other teams are passing on.

Because he performed very well for us.

The fact that other teams are passing on him is not relevant...Not even sure how any could use that as a reason to not put a player on the PS...

And I could have sworn that we cut him via injury settlement. I doubt very seriously that they would have cut him had his toe not gotten injured in that last pre-season game.

Lucky
10-31-2010, 09:17 AM
When was the last time Jeremiah Johnson was healthy? For 2 games this preseason? If a RB can't stay on the field, he's not helping anyone. And that's why Johnson's not in the league, right now.

I think Jeremiah's talent is being overstated by some here. If he could stay healthy, could Johnson help the Texans in a reserve role? Sure. But, that's a big "if".

eriadoc
10-31-2010, 11:09 AM
When was the last time Jeremiah Johnson was healthy? For 2 games this preseason? If a RB can't stay on the field, he's not helping anyone. And that's why Johnson's not in the league, right now.

I think Jeremiah's talent is being overstated by some here. If he could stay healthy, could Johnson help the Texans in a reserve role? Sure. But, that's a big "if".

All I know is he looked like he could play pretty well for us before he came up injured. And if we're so concerned about guys staying injured, then Antwaun Molden and Anthony Hill should have been cut a long time ago.

ChampionTexan
10-31-2010, 11:14 AM
The Rams have an opportunity to sign a promising running back, Jeremiah Johnson (Oregon.) He had a terrific camp with the Houston Texans, averaging 5.6 yards per carry and flashing breakaway speed until suffering a toe injury. The Texas, figuring that Johnson would be out for a long time, didn't keep him on the roster. Johnson is healing and the Washington Redskins signed him to the practice squad earlier this week. D.C. coach Mike Shanahan knows running backs, so this should tell us something. The Redskins subsequently released Johnson for two reasons: (1) he isn't quite ready physically; (2) facing a shortage at the RB position they needed someone to possibly step in immediately. And after RB James Davis was waived by Cleveland, the Redskins signed him. But the Rams should consider taking a flyer on Johnson as a future contender for the No. 2 RB spot.

LINK (http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/article_f0f7c6e6-e368-11df-9162-00127992bc8b.html)

thunderkyss
10-31-2010, 12:51 PM
The Redskins subsequently released Johnson for two reasons: (1) he isn't quite ready physically; (2) facing a shortage at the RB position they needed someone to possibly step in immediately.

I don't doubt that some of us have gotten attached to a player that hasn't done a whole lot in this league, to date.

My only contention is that we may end up in a position like we were last year, needing a RB to step in mid season. Last year, we sucked at the position. This year, something more dubious may be the reason.

If one of our three guys get hurt... we're stuck. If Slaton reverts to his old self, or if Ward starts looking like the guy he was in Tampa bay, or if Foster gets "figured out"

I'd just like to have options at that position.

I don't know how many PS slots are available, I don't know who is on that squad. If we're stacked with DEs & OGs.... another LB, I don't know that I would dump one of them to sign JJ...

ChampionTexan
10-31-2010, 02:18 PM
I don't doubt that some of us have gotten attached to a player that hasn't done a whole lot in this league, to date.

My only contention is that we may end up in a position like we were last year, needing a RB to step in mid season. Last year, we sucked at the position. This year, something more dubious may be the reason.

If one of our three guys get hurt... we're stuck. If Slaton reverts to his old self, or if Ward starts looking like the guy he was in Tampa bay, or if Foster gets "figured out"

I'd just like to have options at that position.

I don't know how many PS slots are available, I don't know who is on that squad. If we're stacked with DEs & OGs.... another LB, I don't know that I would dump one of them to sign JJ...

We currently (per HT.com) have 8 players on the PS (which I believe is the max). There actually is already a RB on there, as Chris Ogbannaya is one of those eight.

Maybe they like him (Ogbannaya) better, maybe he's a placeholder until they think Jeremiah's healthy enough to practice full out - who knows. I'd like to see him back with the Texans too. He's clearly on a few of the teams radar for street FA's, so I would guess he'll be on somebody's PS in the next few weeks.

thunderkyss
10-31-2010, 03:49 PM
We currently (per HT.com) have 8 players on the PS (which I believe is the max). There actually is already a RB on there, as Chris Ogbannaya is one of those eight.

Maybe they like him (Ogbannaya) better, maybe he's a placeholder until they think Jeremiah's healthy enough to practice full out - who knows. I'd like to see him back with the Texans too. He's clearly on a few of the teams radar for street FA's, so I would guess he'll be on somebody's PS in the next few weeks.

If they like Ogbannaya better, I'm fine with that. I'll lay off this topic.

Who the heck is Ogbannaya?? Have we seen him play?

thunderkyss
10-31-2010, 03:56 PM
Silly me, he's from UT......

JWarren14
11-17-2011, 07:23 PM
I read where he is RB3 for Denver tonight, would be great to see him get some PT and show well.

brakos82
11-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Took me until the middle of page 2 to realize this is a year-old thread. :facepalm:

GP
11-17-2011, 10:18 PM
Took me until the middle of page 2 to realize this is a year-old thread. :facepalm:

LMAO.

I read two posts and realized I needed to look at the date of the post to make sure I wasn't in the Twilight Zone or something. I almost went down the same path you did.

Loser. j/k

Wolf
11-17-2011, 10:20 PM
didn't know the ole boy still had it in him
http://neaststyle.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/bestjohnson.jpg

:kitten: